FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > Politics > P&O farce

P&O farce

Jump to: Newest in thread

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

Firstly, the numbers don't add up. £100million loss per year over 2 years? That's a lot of money to have lost. And according to port traffic flow statistics such as Dover Calais, freight is only down slightly, coaches and passengers down hellishly, but not to the tune of £100 million. The combined wages of 800 seafaring people can't possibly amount to more than £20 million. And replacing this £20 million is gonna have ongoing costs. Even if they cut the wage bill by 80%, they still gotta pay £4 million in wages, saving £16 million. That's nowhere near the £100 million losses. Then there are to add on the costs of accommodation for the heavy security guards with handcuffs, the training period and the many days the ferries are spending berthed without any income at all.

Of course, many, many of their "customers" will absorb the cost of rebooking with an alternative ferry and write off the cost of their failed booking with P&O. In these cases, P&O get to keep the money and don't have the overhead of providing services in exchange.

So, let's turn our attention to the "top man".

Peter Hebblethwaite. According to his career timeline, he spent quite some time with DHL and in recent times hasn't been able to keep a job beyond a few months.

Sounds like a trouble-shooter brought in to bring about change. (and stir as much shit as possible).

He's doing a fine job.

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

I wonder what could have happened in the last 2 years to cause a loss in earnings.

But seriously your likely right theres definitely something else going on behind the scenes maybe the companys trying to gain leverage over the government.A lot of money comes from contracts not to mention under the table tax breaks also they have less responsibility towards foreign workers.

Regardless I feel sorry for those poor souls who have lost their jobs.

By *irldnCouple  over a year ago

Brighton

The most amazing thing is that this loss making company from Dubai managed to pay shareholders £250m in dividends last year. While accepting Furlough money from British Tax Payers. Oh and the parent company made $4bn in profit last year.

"I wonder what could have happened in the last 2 years to cause a loss in earnings.

But seriously your likely right theres definitely something else going on behind the scenes maybe the companys trying to gain leverage over the government.A lot of money comes from contracts not to mention under the table tax breaks also they have less responsibility towards foreign workers.

Regardless I feel sorry for those poor souls who have lost their jobs."

The whole shizazam is a farce.

For over 25 years I have found P&O to be the easiest company to deal with and the most willing company to help me out when I've faced an issue.

I have much sympathy and empathy towards the company known as P&O Ferries.

However, this sheer debacle of new CEO being transferred from the nut house is beyond acceptable.

week in and week out, I would board P&O ferries, share an outdated joke with the routemasters chef as to whether the fresh fish had really been caught by the bosun boy on the previous trip.

I fully understand that companies have to make a profit and I have no issue with that.

The issue I have is the manner in which P&O and Peter Hebblethwaite have gone about their instant dismissal of 800 human beings.

By *eroy1000Man  over a year ago

milton keynes

"The most amazing thing is that this loss making company from Dubai managed to pay shareholders £250m in dividends last year. While accepting Furlough money from British Tax Payers. Oh and the parent company made $4bn in profit last year."

I thought it was the parent company that paid the shareholders dividends as they as a whole were profitable. I would have much preferred the parent company to continue to support P&O until it returned to profit

Brighton

"The most amazing thing is that this loss making company from Dubai managed to pay shareholders £250m in dividends last year. While accepting Furlough money from British Tax Payers. Oh and the parent company made $4bn in profit last year.

I thought it was the parent company that paid the shareholders dividends as they as a whole were profitable. I would have much preferred the parent company to continue to support P&O until it returned to profit"

I think so. DP World was criticised for paying a £270million dividend to shareholders at the end of April 2020 while P&O Ferries cut around 1,100 jobs as travelled collapsed following the pandemic.

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

DP World is owned by the UAE Government and they have close ties to Russia a coincidence this is happening now I think not

"DP World is owned by the UAE Government and they have close ties to Russia a coincidence this is happening now I think not"

Coincidence to the left of me, coincidence to the right of me. Coincidence straight in front of me. And here I am, stuck in the middle with you.

As I have previously said, the numbers offered by P&O of 100million losses simply don't add up.

If we assume that there are many more deckhands, caterers, pursers, than there are captains, and if we assume that the captain is quite rightly paid a handsome wage, then maybe a P&O ships captain could earn £100,000 per year. And the deck loading crew probably earn not much more than minimum wage.

So, if we assume an average annual salary of £50,000 per each of those sacked 800 employees, that is an annual total of £40 million.

This assumes that those 800 employees are not replaced.

So, assuming that P&O have saved £40 million by sacking 800 employees, where does the rest of the £60 million savings come from in order to secure the long term viability of this vital UK EU link?

By *eroy1000Man  over a year ago

milton keynes

The numbers could get worse for P&O. Apparently the government are looking at changing the law so that UK employment rules including minimum wage will apply to any vessels operating regularly in British waters. If that does happen it could mean that P&O have paid out redundancies to the original staff only to have to pay these new workers the UK minimum wage.

Brighton

Hey Tory voters, another one for all of you who are outraged by the P&O thing (on top of Tory MPs not bothering to show up to vote on fire & rehire)...

Legislation to protect employees in the UK was amended by Chris Grayling in 2018 so that the secretary of state does not have to be notified of mass redundancies on ships registered overseas.

Nice huh? That Tory MP in Dover feigning solidarity with the workers...!

» Add a new message to this topic