FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > Politics > Rejoining the EU

Rejoining the EU

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *otMe66 OP   Man  over a year ago

Terra Firma

At some point in the future the UK will be asked if it would like to rejoin the EU. If that question was asked now how would you vote and what do you think would be different if we joined for a second time?

I would vote to rejoin and I think the UK would be forced to take the Euro as a condition of entry. I also think we would take the MEP role a little more seriously, and possibly be more engaged in the reality of the EU not the media misinformation that we have suffered in the past.

Reply privately (closed, thread got too big)

By *ostafunMan  over a year ago

near ipswich

maybe in 50 years

Terra Firma

"maybe in 50 years "

I did say at some point in the future

I'm interested to understand how people would vote today

near ipswich

"maybe in 50 years

I'm interested to understand how people would vote today "

Leave again for me if you are conducting a poll.

By *AFKA HovisMan  over a year ago

Sindon Swingdon Swindon

I voted remain, but wouldn't necessarily vote to rejoin. First, because we had a sweet deal. Second, because part of my reason for voting to remain was that there is a cost to change which needs to be factored in. That said, I suspect the cost of retuning will be lower than the cost of leaving.

By *ighty_tightyMan  over a year ago

Norfolk/Suffolk

Would they want us to take the Euro?

We would only go back now if we needed too. If the pound was weak and we converted to the euro that wouldn't benefit anyone.

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

"Would they want us to take the Euro?

We would only go back now if we needed too. If the pound was weak and we converted to the euro that wouldn't benefit anyone."

I very much doubt that, in my lifetime, the UK will be part of the EU.

Without a very great shift in opinion and politics, the EU would not want a country whose MEP's spent most of their time disrupting the work of the EU.

At the moment, I would vote to keep the status quo and not let the UK rejoin.

Rather better to work on trade deals that benifit both the EU and UK along with freedom of movement and a customs union.

If those are in place and work smoothly there may be no requirement for the UK to be part of the EU which would probably suit most people.

By *ackal1Couple  over a year ago

Manchester

We would only go back now if we needed too. If the pound was weak and we converted to the euro that wouldn't benefit anyone.

Without a very great shift in opinion and politics, the EU would not want a country whose MEP's spent most of their time disrupting the work of the EU.

Rather better to work on trade deals that benifit both the EU and UK along with freedom of movement and a customs union.

If those are in place and work smoothly there may be no requirement for the UK to be part of the EU which would probably suit most people."

I agree with this. Customs union for definite as being out of it has proved to be of no benefit and in fact far more costly. Freedom of movement is also a benefit. We just need to shut the ignorant argument up.

Currency isn’t a major issue but joining the euro would shut down a lot of costs in the trading rooms and retail exchanges. Big benefit for both people and business alike. I think however our debts excludes us from this option.

I can’t see us getting such a good deal as thatcher got ever.

Nope even if it's 30 yrs away still nope

By *hybloke67Man  over a year ago

ROMFORD

Would never vote to join the EU in my lifetime.

Freedom of movement is a big no no anyway.

Unlike some I will not call anyone ignorant because they don't agree with my opinion on this matter.!

By *ohnnyTwoNotesMan  over a year ago

golden fields

"At some point in the future the UK will be asked if it would like to rejoin the EU. If that question was asked now how would you vote and what do you think would be different if we joined for a second time?

I would vote to rejoin and I think the UK would be forced to take the Euro as a condition of entry. I also think we would take the MEP role a little more seriously, and possibly be more engaged in the reality of the EU not the media misinformation that we have suffered in the past. "

It's a moot point. Rejoining the EU provides no benefits to US big corporations, Tories who profit from disaster capitalism, to Russia, to those who will profit from reducing standards, or from introduction of extra red tape. So they will never allow people to vote in their own interests.

If there's one lesson to take from brexit, it's that referendums on such fundamentally complex and important issues are too easy to manipulate via the media and via illegally funded campaigns.

near ipswich

"At some point in the future the UK will be asked if it would like to rejoin the EU. If that question was asked now how would you vote and what do you think would be different if we joined for a second time?

I would vote to rejoin and I think the UK would be forced to take the Euro as a condition of entry. I also think we would take the MEP role a little more seriously, and possibly be more engaged in the reality of the EU not the media misinformation that we have suffered in the past.

It's a moot point. Rejoining the EU provides no benefits to US big corporations, Tories who profit from disaster capitalism, to Russia, to those who will profit from reducing standards, or from introduction of extra red tape. So they will never allow people to vote in their own interests.

If there's one lesson to take from brexit, it's that referendums on such fundamentally complex and important issues are too easy to manipulate via the media and via illegally funded campaigns. "

As opposed to £9 million of the taxpayers money trying to manipulate us to stay?

golden fields

If there's one lesson to take from brexit, it's that referendums on such fundamentally complex and important issues are too easy to manipulate via the media and via illegally funded campaigns. As opposed to £9 million of the taxpayers money trying to manipulate us to stay? "

That they were legally obliged to provide. Would you suggest they should have broken the law, as the leave campaigns did?

Strange.

By *itzi999Woman  over a year ago

Slough

"maybe in 50 years

I'm interested to understand how people would vote today Leave again for me if you are conducting a poll. "

Same here. #VoteLeave

near ipswich

If there's one lesson to take from brexit, it's that referendums on such fundamentally complex and important issues are too easy to manipulate via the media and via illegally funded campaigns. As opposed to £9 million of the taxpayers money trying to manipulate us to stay?

That they were legally obliged to provide. Would you suggest they should have broken the law, as the leave campaigns did?

Strange. "

What reasons to stay? not a balanced view of pro,s and cons? strange

By *estivalMan  over a year ago

borehamwood

Id do the same as last time and not take part,one things for sure though watever side lost if there was another vote id expect them to lose there minds like those who lost last time

By *eanoCoolMan  over a year ago

wisbech

I would vote to rejoin and I think the UK would be forced to take the Euro as a condition of entry. I also think we would take the MEP role a little more seriously, and possibly be more engaged in the reality of the EU not the media misinformation that we have suffered in the past. "

Although I voted to remain i would not now vote to rejoin. We would never get as sweet a deal as we had, we would have to join the euro and that would have massive costs for business and consumers alike, cast your mind back to what happened to the price of things in France, Germany, Spain etc after joining the euro. Whats done is done is the way I see it, the amount of uncertainty it caused in my business in the years after the vote whilst politicians played there games was bad enough I have no wish to go through that again thank you very much.

By *eroy1000Man  over a year ago

milton keynes

We would only go back now if we needed too. If the pound was weak and we converted to the euro that wouldn't benefit anyone."

I think adopting the euro is a pre condition for any country joining. As for being eligible due to debts, well I think that depends on the situation at the time. Apparently if anyone that does not vote in a future referendum are in fact voting to not rejoin as they want the status quo

If there's one lesson to take from brexit, it's that referendums on such fundamentally complex and important issues are too easy to manipulate via the media and via illegally funded campaigns. As opposed to £9 million of the taxpayers money trying to manipulate us to stay?

Strange. What reasons to stay? not a balanced view of pro,s and cons? strange"

I would of said it was strange that you ever thought he would actually give a balanced arguement in the first place

By *_MariusMan  over a year ago

Currently Faraway

If those are in place and work smoothly there may be no requirement for the UK to be part of the EU which would probably suit most people."

As an EU State national and somebody who has spent a lifetime in the UK, I’m in the interesting position to say that it’s a misconception that British MEPs were disrupting the work of the EU. The UK actually only voted against what everyone else had voted for, only a few hundred times out of the tens of thousands of votes about laws…The real thorn in the side was actually the right-wing sensationalist press in the UK that was stoking flames with their inaccuracies. Regarding a (distant) future vote about the UK rejoining, I think the important issue is not whether it would be a yes or a no but whether there would be a proper numbers’ threshold to prevent future farcical situations i.e. only 37% of the total registered voting population deciding the future of a union of over 62 million people. Put simply, if only 16 million Brits voted re-join and 15 million voted no, the UK shouldn’t rejoin…sad, but fair in my opinion….

golden fields

"Id do the same as last time and not take part,one things for sure though watever side lost if there was another vote id expect them to lose there minds like those who lost last time"

I'd probably join you if there was another vote. Pointless.

Plus rejoining wouldn't magically undo all the damage done.

golden fields

Strange. What reasons to stay? not a balanced view of pro,s and cons? strange"

If you wanted the law changed to reflect that, you should have campaigned for it.

In any case. You're trying to draw an equivalence between the remain side following the law, and the two leave campaigns breaking the law. Grasping at straws springs to mind.

borehamwood

"Id do the same as last time and not take part,one things for sure though watever side lost if there was another vote id expect them to lose there minds like those who lost last time

Plus rejoining wouldn't magically undo all the damage done."

to be honest with you a lot of the people i know who voted remain there is a big chunk of them who would only vote to rejoin the e.u if it was the same deal we had before we left, im guessing there are quiet a few people of the same opinion

golden fields

"Id do the same as last time and not take part,one things for sure though watever side lost if there was another vote id expect them to lose there minds like those who lost last time

Plus rejoining wouldn't magically undo all the damage done. to be honest with you a lot of the people i know who voted remain there is a big chunk of them who would only vote to rejoin the e.u if it was the same deal we had before we left, im guessing there are quiet a few people of the same opinion"

That's pretty much my feelings.

By *irldnCouple  over a year ago

Brighton

I voted Remain. Feel very strongly that was the right thing at the time. We had the best deal in the EU. Veto, not in Schengen, not in Euro. We were the 2nd big dog economically. 1st big dog militarily. We were seen as the entry point/springboard into the EU for many international and US firms, a natural home. The damage has been huge.

However, how would I vote in future about rejoining. I am not really sure because I doubt very much the UK would regain the privileged position we had. The EU would place demands on the UK that were not there previously. We would almost certainly be required to join the Euro.

So I don’t think there is any going back or regaining the status quo. I think the only way forward would be to join the EEA or some such relationship. Certainly the Customs Union would be attractive.

Terra Firma

I have changed my mind, I said I would vote to rejoin, but hadn't thought it through! Those of you that said the cost of change and that no real benefit would come from rejoining has made me think, and you are right! Now we are out, there is no real reason to go back in.

Thank you, for now

Would never vote to rejoin those morons in Brussels.. hopefully Spain , Greece etc.. will get out of the EU dictatorship one day.

By *ovebjsMan  over a year ago

Bristol

No

Manchester

"Would never vote to join the EU in my lifetime.

Freedom of movement is a big no no anyway.

Unlike some I will not call anyone ignorant because they don't agree with my opinion on this matter.!"

If your comment was directed at me then I will answer you directly.

A lot of people believe there was going to be a million Turks rocking up. They wasn’t so they were ignorant of the facts.

Sone believed we could only close our borders out of the EU. We always could so there are two examples of ignorance to explain my point.

A third is the benefits of free movement to our economy we’re not explained well so again people were ignorant of the facts.

I did not state all voters were ignorant, however a lot were mislead by the lies in the media. Rather than check the actually reality they preferred to believe the nonsense spouted and remain ignorant. I’m sure a lot of remain voters were equally ignorant of some of the facts.

Hope that soothes any self righteous indignation and worries you may have.

By *ealthy_and_HungMan  over a year ago

Princes Risborough, Luasanne, Alderney

there's probably little point thinking about re-joining untill after the break up of the union has been achieved to be fair. so give it about 6-12 years for that get done and dusted and perhaps the individual countries can start asking the question about rejoining the EU.

"maybe in 50 years

I'm interested to understand how people would vote today Leave again for me if you are conducting a poll. "

How could you leave something we’re not a member of? Is there a bus slogan that explains that?

Manchester

"maybe in 50 years

I'm interested to understand how people would vote today Leave again for me if you are conducting a poll.

How could you leave something we’re not a member of? Is there a bus slogan that explains that? "

Snigger snigger.

Come on Costa. This is funny!

Would ai like to rejoin on similar terms? Yes

Do I think we’d get anywhere near as good a deal as we had before we left? Not a chance in hell. Especially as the impetus to rejoin would likely be economic necessity - which would mean we’d be in a very weak negotiating position.

Would I want another vote anytime soon? No. But if faced with one would assess the deal ok offer and vote accordingly.

Having an EU national ‘other half’ as a hedge was a smart move

(Mr)

milton keynes

I know it's only a poll on Fab but seems the trend is going in favour of not re-joining.

"there's probably little point thinking about re-joining untill after the break up of the union has been achieved to be fair. so give it about 6-12 years for that get done and dusted and perhaps the individual countries can start asking the question about rejoining the EU. "

I think this is a more likely scenario.

Freedom to choose and avoid “tyranny” will be the slogan - apparently.

It’ll take another 10 years of chaos capitalism and a few more 100 “P&O”type moments for the ref wall to notice their mistake I think before the penny drops.

In the meantime lap up the cash in quick opportunity and make an escape plan.

By *oubleswing2019Man  over a year ago

Colchester

Definitely would vote to rejoin. Never voted to leave originally.

Freedom of movement is a big win for me.

I should have the right to live and move freely in any other member state, and fully expect said other member state's citizens to do the same. Preferential trade within member states. One vast trading bloc. Opportunity for all.

The problem is, we made no friends in our time in the EU and acted like a spoilt child who wanted their own way.

I have friends in Brussel's involved in the EU and one said to me off-record, "To be honest, the UK was such a pain in the arse, it really isn't worth it for us or for you. Your MEP's were hopelessly out of their depth, and that's even when they bothered to turn up. And when they did, they expected everything to revolve around them. "

I apologised and said "I'm sorry. British exceptionalism is hard-baked in to a lot of our psyche's. We are masters of blowing our own trumpets. Unfortunately as you have discovered, those trumpets are full of shit."

By *oolyCoolyCplCouple  over a year ago

Newcastle under Lyme

Would vote no, though been looking at immigrating away from Europe anyway. Canada is looking likely at the moment.

By *al2001Man  over a year ago

kildare

If you people think you are getting back into eu after all this brexit bolloxology you must be totally mad.

kildare

"there's probably little point thinking about re-joining untill after the break up of the union has been achieved to be fair. so give it about 6-12 years for that get done and dusted and perhaps the individual countries can start asking the question about rejoining the EU. "

You mean welcome back Scotland.

Little England has no way back

kildare

"Would never vote to rejoin those morons in Brussels.. hopefully Spain , Greece etc.. will get out of the EU dictatorship one day."

After brexit,I don't think many will be rushing to leave

golden fields

"Would never vote to rejoin those morons in Brussels.. hopefully Spain , Greece etc.. will get out of the EU dictatorship one day."

This is why it's pointless to have another referendum. People still have not the slightest notion what the EU even is.

Asking an uninformed public to make a huge decision like this is ridiculous. Look where it got us.

Terra Firma

"Would never vote to rejoin those morons in Brussels.. hopefully Spain , Greece etc.. will get out of the EU dictatorship one day.

This is why it's pointless to have another referendum. People still have not the slightest notion what the EU even is.

Asking an uninformed public to make a huge decision like this is ridiculous. Look where it got us."

The view point people have is exactly that, their view. I voted remain and for the life of me could not see a positive outcome by leaving.

However, people who have a view such as the one you pointed out, have that for a reason. I'm not saying that view is right but it is held, driven by the media, MP's and any one looking to take a slice of the cake for themselves.

The people of this country deserve better treatment from career MP's and a greater quality of reporting to enable them to make their own minds up.

Don't blame the people of this country for being misinformed, blame those that provide that information, knowing it to be false.

golden fields

"Would never vote to rejoin those morons in Brussels.. hopefully Spain , Greece etc.. will get out of the EU dictatorship one day.

Asking an uninformed public to make a huge decision like this is ridiculous. Look where it got us.

The view point people have is exactly that, their view. I voted remain and for the life of me could not see a positive outcome by leaving.

However, people who have a view such as the one you pointed out, have that for a reason. I'm not saying that view is right but it is held, driven by the media, MP's and any one looking to take a slice of the cake for themselves.

The people of this country deserve better treatment from career MP's and a greater quality of reporting to enable them to make their own minds up.

Don't blame the people of this country for being misinformed, blame those that provide that information, knowing it to be false. "

Good post.

I do think that people should take some responsibility though.

Terra Firma

Don't blame the people of this country for being misinformed, blame those that provide that information, knowing it to be false.

Good post.

I do think that people should take some responsibility though. "

Assuming that the Tories lose the next election (not necessarily a foregone conclusion because the decision making process of many is inexplicable), Labour are too timid to just put us back in or run a referendum, but we'll apply to join the EEA to get access to the single market within 3 years.

golden fields

"Assuming that the Tories lose the next election (not necessarily a foregone conclusion because the decision making process of many is inexplicable), Labour are too timid to just put us back in or run a referendum, but we'll apply to join the EEA to get access to the single market within 3 years."

There is absolutely no chance of Labour winning the next election.

"Assuming that the Tories lose the next election (not necessarily a foregone conclusion because the decision making process of many is inexplicable), Labour are too timid to just put us back in or run a referendum, but we'll apply to join the EEA to get access to the single market within 3 years.

"

Lab-Lib coalition.

Manchester

"Definitely would vote to rejoin. Never voted to leave originally.

Freedom of movement is a big win for me.

I should have the right to live and move freely in any other member state, and fully expect said other member state's citizens to do the same. Preferential trade within member states. One vast trading bloc. Opportunity for all.

The problem is, we made no friends in our time in the EU and acted like a spoilt child who wanted their own way.

I have friends in Brussel's involved in the EU and one said to me off-record, "To be honest, the UK was such a pain in the arse, it really isn't worth it for us or for you. Your MEP's were hopelessly out of their depth, and that's even when they bothered to turn up. And when they did, they expected everything to revolve around them. "

I apologised and said "I'm sorry. British exceptionalism is hard-baked in to a lot of our psyche's. We are masters of blowing our own trumpets. Unfortunately as you have discovered, those trumpets are full of shit."

"

I can sympathise with this as I’ve had similar experience across Europe and especially in Scandinavia. . The U.K has lost a huge amount of respect for our Luddite views.

golden fields

"Assuming that the Tories lose the next election (not necessarily a foregone conclusion because the decision making process of many is inexplicable), Labour are too timid to just put us back in or run a referendum, but we'll apply to join the EEA to get access to the single market within 3 years.

Lab-Lib coalition."

I admire the optimism. I can't see anything but more of the same shit government for the foreseeable future. The Tories are where the money and the press are.

I see people get optimistic that every Tory scandal or sleaze will finally be the turning point. It never is.

Just look at the majority of people on here. They celebrate the government fucking us over, and hound anyone who suggests that we deserve a government that works for us instead of themselves

To make sure this is on topic. I wouldn't vote in another referendum.

By *ebjonnsonMan  over a year ago

Maldon

As much as I’d like us to rejoin I can’t see it happening.

What should happen is that officials & politicians on both sides should just relax and not literally apply the rules.

There is nothing to stop EU countries granting free visa’s with immediate effect for example. What a help that would be!

By *I TwoCouple  over a year ago

Cookstown

No, we had the best deal we could have ever hoped for, our government didn't stand up for us and adopted stupid recommendations that weren't mandatory

If we wanted to rejoin tbe test if the member states would quite rightly make demands that would make rejoining impossible.

We divorced a beautiful lady to stay at home and wank

milton keynes

"Assuming that the Tories lose the next election (not necessarily a foregone conclusion because the decision making process of many is inexplicable), Labour are too timid to just put us back in or run a referendum, but we'll apply to join the EEA to get access to the single market within 3 years."

Have Labour made this a promise to apply for EEA. If they have not and its popular then why haven't they

By *rLibertineMan  over a year ago

North Suffolk

No, we had the best deal we could have ever hoped for, our government didn't stand up for us and adopted stupid recommendations that weren't mandatory

If we wanted to rejoin tbe test if the member states would quite rightly make demands that would make rejoining impossible.

We divorced a beautiful lady to stay at home and wank"

ha ha love that last phrase…. and so true.

By *ighty_tightyMan  over a year ago

Norfolk/Suffolk

Have Labour made this a promise to apply for EEA. If they have not and its popular then why haven't they"

Because it would probably alienate all the labour voters than chose Brexit

By *arwayCouple  over a year ago

exeter

In the 1970's we voted to join the common market, we didn't vote to have what Europe has now. Can.t make a decision on any thing France wants to be top dog of Europe not been there since Napoleon. Also the EU is broke and we vote to come out of this monkey house

golden fields

"In the 1970's we voted to join the common market, we didn't vote to have what Europe has now. Can.t make a decision on any thing France wants to be top dog of Europe not been there since Napoleon. Also the EU is broke and we vote to come out of this monkey house"

Strong evidence that there should never have been a referendum in the first place.

Manchester

"In the 1970's we voted to join the common market, we didn't vote to have what Europe has now. Can.t make a decision on any thing France wants to be top dog of Europe not been there since Napoleon. Also the EU is broke and we vote to come out of this monkey house"

Who told you France wants to be top dog?

milton keynes

Have Labour made this a promise to apply for EEA. If they have not and its popular then why haven't they

Because it would probably alienate all the labour voters than chose Brexit "

I see, yes that could be a problem. So not a popular idea after all then

By *inCity BluesMan  over a year ago

London

"At some point in the future the UK will be asked if it would like to rejoin the EU. If that question was asked now how would you vote and what do you think would be different if we joined for a second time?"

I'd vote Leave again, no hesitation.

If you want a great advert for voting Leave, get yourself down to Parliament Square on any weekday. You'll find Steve Bray, that boorish arsehole who used to shout pro-EU slogans over news reports (aka The Twat in the Hat) and a similarly-minded rabble of fellow weirdos waving EU flags, playing loud music, and generally making utter fools of themselves (and, therefore, the entire pro-EU/Remoaner movement.)

They really are a sight. Bray, beetle-browed and not-quite-all-there looking, in his famous blue and yellow cunt cap, surrounded by various oddballs ranging from earnest, grey-haired, middle-class women who all appear to have come fresh from the factory that makes Lib-Dem voters, to seedy, shabbily-dressed old men who look like they could be on sabbatical from the Paedophile Information Exchange.

As a public spectacle, they are priceless, but I say leave them be - they are the best recruiting sergeants the leave argument could wish for.

golden fields

If you want a great advert for voting Leave, get yourself down to Parliament Square on any weekday. You'll find Steve Bray, that boorish arsehole who used to shout pro-EU slogans over news reports (aka The Twat in the Hat) and a similarly-minded rabble of fellow weirdos waving EU flags, playing loud music, and generally making utter fools of themselves (and, therefore, the entire pro-EU/Remoaner movement.)

They really are a sight. Bray, beetle-browed and not-quite-all-there looking, in his famous blue and yellow cunt cap, surrounded by various oddballs ranging from earnest, grey-haired, middle-class women who all appear to have come fresh from the factory that makes Lib-Dem voters, to seedy, shabbily-dressed old men who look like they could be on sabbatical from the Paedophile Information Exchange.

As a public spectacle, they are priceless, but I say leave them be - they are the best recruiting sergeants the leave argument could wish for. "

Amazing. So you'd vote leave again because someone you don't like wanted to remain.

I'd love to hear more from you and others who think brexit is a good idea. The more ridiculous the reason. The better.

Sindon Swingdon Swindon

As a public spectacle, they are priceless, but I say leave them be - they are the best recruiting sergeants the leave argument could wish for. "

we all have our favourite loon. I like the fella who is going to the supreme court to prove this deal is worse than remaining in the EU. It wouldn't surprise me if Frost is his star witness!

By *inCity BluesMan  over a year ago

London

"we all have our favourite loon. I like the fella who is going to the supreme court to prove this deal is worse than remaining in the EU. It wouldn't surprise me if Frost is his star witness! "

Ooh I don't think I know that one. It would be handy if they could produce a Top Trumps set of Remoaner oddballs, then we could recognise them and play them against each other.

Steve Bray would definitely be unbeatable in the Creepiness category, scoring an even 100, but crafty players could defeat him with John Major's score of 1 point in Sex Appeal.

Brighton

"we all have our favourite loon. I like the fella who is going to the supreme court to prove this deal is worse than remaining in the EU. It wouldn't surprise me if Frost is his star witness!

Ooh I don't think I know that one. It would be handy if they could produce a Top Trumps set of Remoaner oddballs, then we could recognise them and play them against each other.

Steve Bray would definitely be unbeatable in the Creepiness category, scoring an even 100, but crafty players could defeat him with John Major's score of 1 point in Sex Appeal. "

I think secretly you have a bit of a crush on him as you seem to have studied him very closely. Good job he isn’t a Polish plumber/builder/electrician or you’d be in a right quandry

By *asyukMan  over a year ago

West London

However others may attempt to characterise people who voted to remain or leave, most votes on what they perceived was the benefit to themselves and the United Kingdom.

I saw, and see, very little, if any, benefit to leaving. We had huge political influence and economic benefit for a very low financial contribution.

I would look at what might be on offer but that situation will not be the case if we attempt to rejoin. I doubt very much that the UK would ever start the process of rejoining, even if it remains together as a state.

More likely we would join EFTA as it will become apparent soon enough that we are having to follow EU regulations on all goods and standards anyway. Our market is not big enough to try to diverge. One other thing that has happened as a result of both the pandemic, the rise of Chinese power and war in Ukraine is a fundamental shift to shorter supply lines.

An EFTA type deal was, of course, on the table at the time of Brexit but our government chose to try to look tough for narrow political reasons rather than be pragmatic.

All that will eventually happen is a damage limitation exercise.

West London

"we all have our favourite loon. I like the fella who is going to the supreme court to prove this deal is worse than remaining in the EU. It wouldn't surprise me if Frost is his star witness!

Steve Bray would definitely be unbeatable in the Creepiness category, scoring an even 100, but crafty players could defeat him with John Major's score of 1 point in Sex Appeal. "

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/arlene-foster-court-of-appeal-belfast-ben-habib-high-court-b2035312.html?amp

The DUP and former Brexit Party MEPs challenged the legality of the Northern Ireland protocol and failed.

Not "remoaners".

Good that you've moved on after the vote though and not calling half the population names

Sindon Swingdon Swindon

don't want to piss on your chips, but he's a leaver (and ex MEP!)

By *ophieslutTV/TS  over a year ago

Central

I'd expect to do the right thing for the country, which would still today to be in the EU, in some form. It will probably be the same in the future.

Brighton

Steve Bray would definitely be unbeatable in the Creepiness category, scoring an even 100, but crafty players could defeat him with John Major's score of 1 point in Sex Appeal. don't want to piss on your chips, but he's a leaver (and ex MEP!)"

Who is a leaver and ex MEP? Certainly not Steve Bray!

Sindon Swingdon Swindon

Steve Bray would definitely be unbeatable in the Creepiness category, scoring an even 100, but crafty players could defeat him with John Major's score of 1 point in Sex Appeal. don't want to piss on your chips, but he's a leaver (and ex MEP!)

Who is a leaver and ex MEP? Certainly not Steve Bray!"

Ben Habib

By *oxychick35Couple  over a year ago

thornaby

I’d still vote leave but ya never know in a decade or two

By *uietly_KinkyMan  over a year ago

High Wycombe

I don't think we'll be getting asked to rejoin. We may well want to apply, but given the way we as a country have behaved recently, I doubt the EU would want us back.

Bristol

"I don't think we'll be getting asked to rejoin. We may well want to apply, but given the way we as a country have behaved recently, I doubt the EU would want us back."

I don’t think the uk will ever try to re apply

Terra Firma

"I don't think we'll be getting asked to rejoin. We may well want to apply, but given the way we as a country have behaved recently, I doubt the EU would want us back.

I don’t think the uk will ever try to re apply "

I think there is a consensus on this thread, that we might not have a UK to speak of in few years.

golden fields

"I don't think we'll be getting asked to rejoin. We may well want to apply, but given the way we as a country have behaved recently, I doubt the EU would want us back."

It's really hard to join the EU, countries have been trying to get in for years. It wouldn't be an easy process, and we'd never have the privileges we had before.

There's a reason the whole world is laughing at our collective stupidity.

near ipswich

"I don't think we'll be getting asked to rejoin. We may well want to apply, but given the way we as a country have behaved recently, I doubt the EU would want us back.

It's really hard to join the EU, countries have been trying to get in for years. It wouldn't be an easy process, and we'd never have the privileges we had before.

There's a reason the whole world is laughing at our collective stupidity. "

Are they really the whole world wow or is that just in your head?

golden fields

[Removed by poster at 24/03/22 18:07:08]

golden fields

There's a reason the whole world is laughing at our collective stupidity. Are they really the whole world wow or is that just in your head? "

Nope, we're a laughing stock for the self harm we were conned into.

You can, I'm sure find some odd nut job in Botswana who thinks Aliens built the pyramids and who isn't laughing at us for brexit. I'll give you that.

"maybe in 50 years

I'm interested to understand how people would vote today "

I think understanding how people might vote today in a hypothetical far future 2nd referendum is futile. So much will rest on the variables in play at the time, the key geopolitical and self interested agendas and more than anything how the UK economy fairs.

All we have lost and that which we might gain (i live i hope) will have to be weighed up.

It is still too soon I expect for the pride of most who voted - in either direction - fo have adjusted much. Whilst we can see the challenges that have come to pass and those that continue to emerge - as well as the opportunities - the critical mass required to cause sufficient groundswell is far from there yet.

To be honest I’d rather that critical

Mass not materialise. As the ‘pain’ the lower income would have to suffer - on top of the current inflation and energy crisis and post pandemic would be even worse.

So as much as it pains me to say so. In a way I don’t want the circumstances that cause enough mass regret to actually materialise. And frankly if it does this country will be such a shithole that anyone with the means will have jumped ship.

So inwards and upwards. We’ve made our bed.

near ipswich

There's a reason the whole world is laughing at our collective stupidity. Are they really the whole world wow or is that just in your head?

You can, I'm sure find some odd nut job in Botswana who thinks Aliens built the pyramids and who isn't laughing at us for brexit. I'll give you that."

You need to get abroad more mate been a few times over the last year not once has it ever come up in conversation let alone anyone laughing, people in other countries have forgotten about it not that it ever bothered them that much anyway.Its only the minority bitter remainers who cant let go and convince themselves the rest of the world think like them to make themselves feel better when in reality they couldnt give a fuck.

golden fields

"maybe in 50 years

I'm interested to understand how people would vote today

I think understanding how people might vote today in a hypothetical far future 2nd referendum is futile. So much will rest on the variables in play at the time, the key geopolitical and self interested agendas and more than anything how the UK economy fairs.

All we have lost and that which we might gain (i live i hope) will have to be weighed up.

It is still too soon I expect for the pride of most who voted - in either direction - fo have adjusted much. Whilst we can see the challenges that have come to pass and those that continue to emerge - as well as the opportunities - the critical mass required to cause sufficient groundswell is far from there yet.

To be honest I’d rather that critical

Mass not materialise. As the ‘pain’ the lower income would have to suffer - on top of the current inflation and energy crisis and post pandemic would be even worse.

So as much as it pains me to say so. In a way I don’t want the circumstances that cause enough mass regret to actually materialise. And frankly if it does this country will be such a shithole that anyone with the means will have jumped ship.

So inwards and upwards. We’ve made our bed. "

The pandemic has been the best thing the government could hope for as a brexit distraction. And it's been a godsend as a scapegoat for all the brexit damage.

golden fields

There's a reason the whole world is laughing at our collective stupidity. Are they really the whole world wow or is that just in your head?

You can, I'm sure find some odd nut job in Botswana who thinks Aliens built the pyramids and who isn't laughing at us for brexit. I'll give you that.You need to get abroad more mate been a few times over the last year not once has it ever come up in conversation let alone anyone laughing, people in other countries have forgotten about it not that it ever bothered them that much anyway.Its only the minority bitter remainers who cant let go and convince themselves the rest of the world think like them to make themselves feel better when in reality they couldnt give a fuck. "

As I said, you can always find the odd nut job who doesn't think it's hilarious what we shot ourselves in the collective foot.

Also, I'm sure you know I'm not suggesting people are laughing 24/7 at the UK. That would be ridiculous.

Anyway, if you think brexit is a good idea, you're unlikely to acknowledge that we're a laughing stock over it to the rest of the world.

near ipswich

You can, I'm sure find some odd nut job in Botswana who thinks Aliens built the pyramids and who isn't laughing at us for brexit. I'll give you that.You need to get abroad more mate been a few times over the last year not once has it ever come up in conversation let alone anyone laughing, people in other countries have forgotten about it not that it ever bothered them that much anyway.Its only the minority bitter remainers who cant let go and convince themselves the rest of the world think like them to make themselves feel better when in reality they couldnt give a fuck.

As I said, you can always find the odd nut job who doesn't think it's hilarious what we shot ourselves in the collective foot.

Also, I'm sure you know I'm not suggesting people are laughing 24/7 at the UK. That would be ridiculous.

Anyway, if you think brexit is a good idea, you're unlikely to acknowledge that we're a laughing stock over it to the rest of the world."

The odd one out of the whole world i rest my case on my last post.You are hilarious.

Manchester

I travel a lot and we are a laughing stock but more importantly the response I’m getting is shock at such stupid self harm.

At a recent Tory house conference Rees Mogg was asked about benefits he has discovered. This from Tory supporters.

He went to great length to say without European restraints we can abolish the declarations on imports from the EU and save an egg producer he knows the added cost of declarations . Firstly the added cost is directly as a result of Brexit you stupid twat and secondly under WTO rules we have to declare imports as it would involve no checks on goods with tariffs if we didn’t, so we would have a free for all on imports . So his leading benefit is to try and get rid of the additional Brexit costs which is a complete joke and in reality not a sensible or realistic choice even if it were possible.

Complete and utter self harm to believe and trust in these self interested scum. If you watch and listen to his words you can see that Brexit was a con job as there are simply no benefits .

So yes shock is correct. . Yet still the devoted 18% think it’s all good . Amazing.

near ipswich

"I travel a lot and we are a laughing stock but more importantly the response I’m getting is shock at such stupid self harm.

At a recent Tory house conference Rees Mogg was asked about benefits he has discovered. This from Tory supporters.

He went to great length to say without European restraints we can abolish the declarations on imports from the EU and save an egg producer he knows the added cost of declarations . Firstly the added cost is directly as a result of Brexit you stupid twat and secondly under WTO rules we have to declare imports as it would involve no checks on goods with tariffs if we didn’t, so we would have a free for all on imports . So his leading benefit is to try and get rid of the additional Brexit costs which is a complete joke and in reality not a sensible or realistic choice even if it were possible.

Complete and utter self harm to believe and trust in these self interested scum. If you watch and listen to his words you can see that Brexit was a con job as there are simply no benefits .

So yes shock is correct. . Yet still the devoted 18% think it’s all good . Amazing. "

We must mix with different people i must only be friends with johhnys few nut jobs.

milton keynes

It is a long process to join. As you say it takes many years and much criteria to be met. Not great news for the SNP

Manchester

"I travel a lot and we are a laughing stock but more importantly the response I’m getting is shock at such stupid self harm.

So yes shock is correct. . Yet still the devoted 18% think it’s all good . Amazing. We must mix with different people i must only be friends with johhnys few nut jobs. "

If we get too close will your nuttiness be catching?

Even you as a staunch Brexit supporter wouldn’t claim abolishing a Brexit cost is a benefit and this guy is in charge.

golden fields

There's a reason the whole world is laughing at our collective stupidity.

It is a long process to join. As you say it takes many years and much criteria to be met. Not great news for the SNP"

No, it would be a long hard road. But worth it if they got there.

golden fields

So yes shock is correct. . Yet still the devoted 18% think it’s all good . Amazing. We must mix with different people i must only be friends with johhnys few nut jobs. "

There's potentially millions of people who still think brexit is a good idea. So it's entirely possible.

By *bernathCouple  over a year ago

Gloucestershire

Rejoining the EU, no past that now, possibly EFTA, it's a compromise that will satisfy everyone.

West London

You can, I'm sure find some odd nut job in Botswana who thinks Aliens built the pyramids and who isn't laughing at us for brexit. I'll give you that.You need to get abroad more mate been a few times over the last year not once has it ever come up in conversation let alone anyone laughing, people in other countries have forgotten about it not that it ever bothered them that much anyway.Its only the minority bitter remainers who cant let go and convince themselves the rest of the world think like them to make themselves feel better when in reality they couldnt give a fuck. "

...or you need to work with and do business with people abroad and work for a country that is globally distributed.

Anybody who works across borders thinks Brexit was foolish.

Those who only work domestically and just holiday abroad aren't fussed as there is no short-term link between the cause and the consequences.

Again, Covid, the war in Ukraine and the rise of China is pushing all countries to shorten their supply chains. We've done exactly the opposite

Brighton

Brexit was clearly very foolish. An act of total masochism to enable a tiny minority to enrich themselves.

At a time when World exports bounce back from Covid growing 8.2% the UK’s falls 14% in 3 months to January 2022. Brexit is blamed. The OBR claims UK productivity will be reduced by 4% over next 15 years.

kildare

near ipswich

"

Dont be stupid of course they would want the uk back they didn’t call it treasure island for nothing we are a major loss to them that’s why they made leaving so hard. The revenue lost meant that they all had to pay more. A lot of people on here think it’s personal it’s not it’s business.

golden fields

Dont be stupid of course they would want the uk back they didn’t call it treasure island for nothing we are a major loss to them that’s why they made leaving so hard. The revenue lost meant that they all had to pay more. A lot of people on here think it’s personal it’s not it’s business."

It is a loss to the EU, of course. But they would not let us in on the same privileged terms we had before. And it would not be quick and easy to rejoin.

I still maintain that rejoining wouldn't undo the damage done, and as evidenced by the last referendum, people will vote for some lie on the side of a bus over real life information.

(The lie on the bus, is merely a metaphor for any of the lies told to people in order to convince them to vote leave, despite it being against their own interests)

Sindon Swingdon Swindon

Dont be stupid of course they would want the uk back they didn’t call it treasure island for nothing we are a major loss to them that’s why they made leaving so hard. The revenue lost meant that they all had to pay more. A lot of people on here think it’s personal it’s not it’s business."

you could argue they negotiated the divorce terms hard because they could. That's what you would so in business. It's probably both.

kildare

Try put a cost or price on dealing with this brexit bullshit.

This bullshit that is still ongoing after all these tears.

And why is it still on going after all this time?

Because of you guys and your bullshit.

Oven ready deal my hole.

No amount of lost revenue would be worth going through this again.ever.

And eu will be fine without you,financially and it will work better.

You were never really in but now you are very definitely out.

This brexit shit isn't even over this time,I really can't wait for truss to start all this shit up again,and you guys are talking about rejoining !

Brexit proved you are totally delusional about your place in the world but you are still delusional about how others see you.

Not only that but over the next decade or so major changes will be going on in UK and much turmoil with union breaking up,no one wants to touch that.

Northern Ireland and Scotland is a different story tho

kildare

Meant years not tears.not my tears anyway

Manchester

That’s nonsense . It’s not a business. They pay out what they have in based on a formula. They don’t need to charge more.

It’s a shame people here didn’t take a business approach because it’s looks likely to be costing us 120 B in lost GDP per year according to the ONS assuming 4% . It would be interesting to know how much of that would have been tax revenue. 30-40% maybe?

Manchester

[Removed by poster at 26/03/22 11:08:26]

near ipswich

Dont be stupid of course they would want the uk back they didn’t call it treasure island for nothing we are a major loss to them that’s why they made leaving so hard. The revenue lost meant that they all had to pay more. A lot of people on here think it’s personal it’s not it’s business.

That’s nonsense . It’s not a business. They pay out what they have in based on a formula. They don’t need to charge more.

It’s a shame people here didn’t take a business approach because it’s looks likely to be costing us 120 B in lost GDP per year according to the ONS assuming 4% . It would be interesting to know how much of that would have been tax revenue. 30-40% maybe?

"

Not nonsense at all the uk paid in more than it took out other countries had to make up the shortfall its not hard to find the increases and the countries that are now net contributors.

Manchester

Not nonsense at all the uk paid in more than it took out other countries had to make up the shortfall its not hard to find the increases and the countries that are now net contributors. "

You’re not getting the point. It’s similar to a charity. They can’t spend more than they receive. They set the pay out based on receipts not target revenues.

Sindon Swingdon Swindon

Not nonsense at all the uk paid in more than it took out other countries had to make up the shortfall its not hard to find the increases and the countries that are now net contributors. "

that only works if you the view the EU as some kind of community kitty. It's more than that. Even if you think there were costs from being in the SM, there was also benefits from not having the additional checks and paperwork say. Otherwise why the noise around NIP?

Manchester

The reason we are having to settle our bill over a few years is because the spending commitments are fixed and cannot go to others. The budgets are set forwards based on projected revenue . They will just spend less going forwards if they receive less.

near ipswich

"The reason we are having to settle our bill over a few years is because the spending commitments are fixed and cannot go to others. The budgets are set forwards based on projected revenue . They will just spend less going forwards if they receive less. "
yes that is for commitments already undertaken the new Eu budget was set in 2021 for the next 7 years and contributions rose more than they were expected to due to the uk leaving.

West London

The EU did not call us a "Treasure Island". A Brexit supporting website quoted by the Express did.

We will still by all these physical foods from them, it will just be more expensive for us.

The large amount of goods that we import from the the EU is more than balanced by the larger amount of services that we export, much of which just cannot be done now at any price.

The EU did not make leaving hard. We did. We did not know what we wanted, then we kept changing our minds. What privileged trading arrangements do we have compared to anywhere other than the very integrated automotive and aerospace ones? Why should we?

They will "allow" us to rejoin on new terms where we pay our actual share and not receive the hugely privileged discount that we used to.

With all of your Brexit support, do you still never research the things that you write?

near ipswich

The EU did not call us a "Treasure Island". A Brexit supporting website quoted by the Express did.

We will still by all these physical foods from them, it will just be more expensive for us.

The large amount of goods that we import from the the EU is more than balanced by the larger amount of services that we export, much of which just cannot be done now at any price.

The EU did not make leaving hard. We did. We did not know what we wanted, then we kept changing our minds. What privileged trading arrangements do we have compared to anywhere other than the very integrated automotive and aerospace ones? Why should we?

They will "allow" us to rejoin on new terms where we pay our actual share and not receive the hugely privileged discount that we used to.

With all of your Brexit support, do you still never research the things that you write?"

You obviously didnt watch the programme about inside brussels when all the crap was going on there were mep,s laughing saying they didnt want to lose treasure island and were going to make it as hard as possible so no it wasnt made up.

This is a pointless debate anyway we are out and not going back in the near future embrace it and get on with your life.

West London

"The reason we are having to settle our bill over a few years is because the spending commitments are fixed and cannot go to others. The budgets are set forwards based on projected revenue . They will just spend less going forwards if they receive less. yes that is for commitments already undertaken the new Eu budget was set in 2021 for the next 7 years and contributions rose more than they were expected to due to the uk leaving."

You have just written some words.

The agreed budget was increased unexpectedly within a year of being set?

Who is that according to? Has anything unexpected happened recently?

Has anything unexpected happened to the UK?

West London

With all of your Brexit support, do you still never research the things that you write?You obviously didnt watch the programme about inside brussels when all the crap was going on there were mep,s laughing saying they didnt want to lose treasure island and were going to make it as hard as possible so no it wasnt made up.

This is a pointless debate anyway we are out and not going back in the near future embrace it and get on with your life. "

You conflate. Often, because you repeat so many phrases so regularly.

You didn't read my post on the actual topic either. You have helped to ensure that we will not get the sweet deal that we had before so we are not likely to be part of free trade block on our doorstep as the planet moves towards shorter supply chains.

Perhaps that's not true for you. Do you think that transporting goods and raw materials across the globe is likely to expand considering what has happened following the pandemic and the war in Ukraine?

Sindon Swingdon Swindon

With all of your Brexit support, do you still never research the things that you write?You obviously didnt watch the programme about inside brussels when all the crap was going on there were mep,s laughing saying they didnt want to lose treasure island and were going to make it as hard as possible so no it wasnt made up.

This is a pointless debate anyway we are out and not going back in the near future embrace it and get on with your life. "

which program was this ? Be good to see the original source as I've never seen it outside brexit sources.

golden fields

"

I hope that this kind of attitude isn't prevalent in the UK. Apathy of the population is the friend of those in charge.

Sure, the EU ship has sailed for us. But there are ways to mitigate against the brexit disaster. That's what we should be focussing on.

West London

Actually, with a couple of moments of additional thought you are, as is often the case, provide a contradiction.

You claim that the EU were desperate to keep the UK in yet then didn't give us a good deal.

By your logic, this would cause the EU so much pain that it would never happen, yet...

As for "laughing" MEPs, were they referring to how Garage referred to us? That seems to be the only time the phrase is mentioned...

I guess people's heroes are a mirror to their characters...

West London

"

This is a pointless debate anyway we are out and not going back in the near future embrace it and get on with your life.

I hope that this kind of attitude isn't prevalent in the UK. Apathy of the population is the friend of those in charge.

Sure, the EU ship has sailed for us. But there are ways to mitigate against the brexit disaster. That's what we should be focussing on.

"

Quite. Damage limitation and seeing what opportunities that there may be for the country rather than for wealthy individuals.

Tighter controls on Russian money creates a problem, but it seems that we are working hard to attract Middle Eastern money again.

That's good, right?

near ipswich

This is a pointless debate anyway we are out and not going back in the near future embrace it and get on with your life. which program was this ? Be good to see the original source as I've never seen it outside brexit sources. "

Cant remember the name of it offhand it was when they were following guy verhofstadt around brussels during the negotiations.

near ipswich

"

Quite. Damage limitation and seeing what opportunities that there may be for the country rather than for wealthy individuals.

Tighter controls on Russian money creates a problem, but it seems that we are working hard to attract Middle Eastern money again.

That's good, right? "

Im quiet happy if all this stolen money has come from corruption in the military, 1978 medical supplies found in captured russian vehicles now someone has been trousering the money for them.Tyres to old for the vehicles too someones has nicked the money for them too.

As for middle east money are you saying we should not deal with them either? wake up mate half the world is not going to reach perfect standards should we stop trading with France after all they are the 3rd biggest arms exporters in the world or stop buying stuff from china due to their human rights?

India and Pakistan due to their racism fuck me we wouldn't trade with anyone.The worlds not fair and its up to each country to live how they want instead of people like yourself wanting to impose your standards on them.

near ipswich

This is a pointless debate anyway we are out and not going back in the near future embrace it and get on with your life. which program was this ? Be good to see the original source as I've never seen it outside brexit sources. "

Found it for you mate.

Watch Brexit Behind Closed Doors | Prime Video - Amazon.comhttps://www.amazon.com › Brexit-Behind-Closed-Door...

Brexit Behind Closed Doors ; Directors: Lode Desmet ; Starring: Guy Verhofstadt, Michel Barnier ; Genres: Special Interest, Documentary ;

It was originally on bbc.

By *_MariusMan  over a year ago

Currently Faraway

"Rejoining the EU, no past that now, possibly EFTA, it's a compromise that will satisfy everyone. "

Hmm...would it satisfy everyone though? Freedom of movement of persons would have to be re-instituted somehow...Even Switzerland which is not bound by the EFTA-EU/EEA Free Movement Directive is legally obliged to adhere to its own bilateral agreement for freedom of movement of people with the whole EU...Unless of course staunch Brexiters might be satisfied by the fact that in EFTA countries there is a certain degree of exclusion to some sensitive professions as well as welfare benefits...

By *uckoldDesiresMan  over a year ago

Dublin

And that's why there should be some sort of test to gauge basic understanding of the matter before someone is allowed vote in a referendum

milton keynes

So seems many would not want to rejoin after all. A recurring reason is we would not get the deal we had. What part of our previous deal would you miss and cause you not to want to rejoin. Is it not being able to keep the pound, the rebate or something not as well known

By *6travellerMan  over a year ago

Tayside and Midlands

No. The EU is an unelected nightmare. Never again - ever. However, if it returned back to the common market - yes.

golden fields

"So seems many would not want to rejoin after all. A recurring reason is we would not get the deal we had. What part of our previous deal would you miss and cause you not to want to rejoin. Is it not being able to keep the pound, the rebate or something not as well known"

Various opt outs. Rebate. We wouldn't get any of that back.

Personally I lived all over the EU, and don't care what the name of the currency is, as long as I can swap it for beer, food, rent etc.

But that's not my personal main reason for not really caring about rejoining, so maybe other people can answer better.

Bristol

"No. The EU is an unelected nightmare. Never again - ever. However, if it returned back to the common market - yes."

That’s just it, in the beginning it was a good idea and it worked but then they started to dream of a European superstate.

All down hill after that

golden fields

"No. The EU is an unelected nightmare. Never again - ever. However, if it returned back to the common market - yes.

That’s just it, in the beginning it was a good idea and it worked but then they started to dream of a European superstate.

All down hill after that "

Indeed. As soon as the EU started to suggest that billionaires shouldn't avoid paying taxes, the anti EU propaganda started to crank up.

West London

"

That's good, right? Im quiet happy if all this stolen money has come from corruption in the military, 1978 medical supplies found in captured russian vehicles now someone has been trousering the money for them.Tyres to old for the vehicles too someones has nicked the money for them too.

As for middle east money are you saying we should not deal with them either? wake up mate half the world is not going to reach perfect standards should we stop trading with France after all they are the 3rd biggest arms exporters in the world or stop buying stuff from china due to their human rights?

India and Pakistan due to their racism fuck me we wouldn't trade with anyone.The worlds not fair and its up to each country to live how they want instead of people like yourself wanting to impose your standards on them. "

I haven't started a position. It's what our Government have been doing.

First we were China's best friends, then they were a threat.

Russian money fine after invading Crimea and blowing up hospitals in Syria, but not for some reason.

Middle Eastern murders of journalists and kidn@pping of princesses briefly a problem, but not anymore.

What do you think that our policy is? Any idea?

You are quite correct. Who are we going to trade with now that we have blown off our nearest neighbours at the same time as trade is reorientating towards shorter supply chains?

There is a reorientation to shorter supply chains, right?

near ipswich

"

That's good, right? Im quiet happy if all this stolen money has come from corruption in the military, 1978 medical supplies found in captured russian vehicles now someone has been trousering the money for them.Tyres to old for the vehicles too someones has nicked the money for them too.

India and Pakistan due to their racism fuck me we wouldn't trade with anyone.The worlds not fair and its up to each country to live how they want instead of people like yourself wanting to impose your standards on them.

Russian money fine after invading Crimea and blowing up hospitals in Syria, but not for some reason.

Middle Eastern murders of journalists and kidn@pping of princesses briefly a problem, but not anymore.

You are quite correct. Who are we going to trade with now that we have blown off our nearest neighbours at the same time as trade is reorientating towards shorter supply chains?

There is a reorientation to shorter supply chains, right?"

As i said everyone has a moral viewpoint and you are never going to please everyone the government is their to do their best by the country so there are always going to be some people who are not happy thats all i was saying.

golden fields

"

There is a reorientation to shorter supply chains, right?As i said everyone has a moral viewpoint and you are never going to please everyone the government is their to do their best by the country so there are always going to be some people who are not happy thats all i was saying."

It is the governments job to do their best for the county. The current government don't, and they barely even attempt to pretend to care.

West London

"

There is a reorientation to shorter supply chains, right?As i said everyone has a moral viewpoint and you are never going to please everyone the government is their to do their best by the country so there are always going to be some people who are not happy thats all i was saying."

Is their an orientation to shorter supply lines?

Does putting barriers up to our closest neighbors and trying to do trade deals on the other side of the planet work with that? Especially if they're as good as our Australian and New Zealand ones. The ones that give us a negative benefit...

By *oxychick35Couple  over a year ago

thornaby

really and the eu wouldn’t bend over backwards for the U.K. to rejoin if that’s the case why did they fight so hard to keep us ?

golden fields

There's a reason the whole world is laughing at our collective stupidity. really and the eu wouldn’t bend over backwards for the U.K. to rejoin if that’s the case why did they fight so hard to keep us ?"

I don't think so. It's very fucking difficult to join the EU. Not wanting us to leave, is not the same as making it easy for us to rejoin.

I don't think it's s problem though. We're not going to apply to rejoin anytime soon. We've shit the bed, now we have to lie in it.

Brighton

There's a reason the whole world is laughing at our collective stupidity. really and the eu wouldn’t bend over backwards for the U.K. to rejoin if that’s the case why did they fight so hard to keep us ?"

Sorry Foxy but that is a perfect demonstration of British exceptionalism.

Brighton

Of course IF (big IF) the UK in future to apply to rejoin the EU then as there is zero chance we would get back our privileged position outside schengen and not in the Euro.

What will happen then is those few Brexiters still alive will say it was all part of Remain’s plan and had been a double cross to actually increase the EU grip over the UK. So it will be Remainers fault (again).

Sindon Swingdon Swindon

Did they ?

They fought hard to make the terms as favourable for them as possible. And to make sure we sorted out the tricky parts of leaving (eh NI)

But at no point did I really think they wanted to keep us.

This sounds like thinking an ex wanted to stay together when they fight to take the house and the kids.

Bristol

"Of course IF (big IF) the UK in future to apply to rejoin the EU then as there is zero chance we would get back our privileged position outside schengen and not in the Euro.

What will happen then is those few Brexiters still alive will say it was all part of Remain’s plan and had been a double cross to actually increase the EU grip over the UK. So it will be Remainers fault (again). "

Not a problem as it’s never going to happen

By *os19Man  over a year ago

Edmonton

I am not the most political clued up but I voted remain as I felt we are stronger together and better the devil you know and also I didn’t fall for Nigel Farage crap about lots of Turkish people coming to live in the UK once Turkey gets into the EU because under the current rules of EU membership all countries have to say yes and Cyprus will never say yes until Turkey do something about the unlawful invasion of Cyprus in 1974.Since Brexit we have seen the increase of our shopping go up and less food on the shelf’s are these connected to Brexit my opinion is yes.There are job opportunities working in the hospitality industry that are not been filled is that because of Brexit my opinion is yes. I do think that those jobs could be filled but the British youth of today don’t want to do these jobs.Should we return to the EU my opinion is let’s wait another 5-10 years let’s see what trade deals we can get let’s see how our economy is going after that we can.As I said I voted remain but I accept the decision to exit so let’s give it a chance.

Manchester

"The reason we are having to settle our bill over a few years is because the spending commitments are fixed and cannot go to others. The budgets are set forwards based on projected revenue . They will just spend less going forwards if they receive less. yes that is for commitments already undertaken the new Eu budget was set in 2021 for the next 7 years and contributions rose more than they were expected to due to the uk leaving."

It’s interesting but in theory as economies such as Poland grow the member of net contributors would grow so in time everyone’s contributions will be reducing.

So our £9b would eventually drop and here we are losing at least four times as much in tax take due to the drop in our economy and then an extra £11b in lost tax revenue on banking funds moving out.

It’s not a great economic decision is it.,

Manchester

"No. The EU is an unelected nightmare. Never again - ever. However, if it returned back to the common market - yes."

So tell me about the 19 Cabinet ministers in this country who have never been voted for in any election. Also please explain the 900 plus appointed lords who can influence Parliament.

Every MEP is ejected and every commissioner has to pass a vote as does the leaders of the EU . They can also be voted out by the MEPs but don’t let the facts get in the way of your blind bias.

Brighton

"No. The EU is an unelected nightmare. Never again - ever. However, if it returned back to the common market - yes.

So tell me about the 19 Cabinet ministers in this country who have never been voted for in any election. Also please explain the 900 plus appointed lords who can influence Parliament.

Every MEP is ejected and every commissioner has to pass a vote as does the leaders of the EU . They can also be voted out by the MEPs but don’t let the facts get in the way of your blind bias. "

Yeah but Jackal1 remember that those unelected Cabinet Ministers and unelected House of Lords are British so it is OUR unelected nightmare not THEIR unelected nightmare (and ignores the fact that we were IN the EU so it wasn’t THEM anyway it was US as we held a load of those positions across the various strata of EU governance!)

By *ichi_acerMan  over a year ago

notts

I’d vote no

Manchester

Every MEP is ejected and every commissioner has to pass a vote as does the leaders of the EU . They can also be voted out by the MEPs but don’t let the facts get in the way of your blind bias.

Yeah but Jackal1 remember that those unelected Cabinet Ministers and unelected House of Lords are British so it is OUR unelected nightmare not THEIR unelected nightmare (and ignores the fact that we were IN the EU so it wasn’t THEM anyway it was US as we held a load of those positions across the various strata of EU governance!)"

It’s such a shame people didn’t have the encouragement to engage with the rest of the EU. We had such a leading position but appalling representatives with one trick agendas. We had the best deal due to Mrs Thatcher and we have thrown ourselves into the nightmare of being alone in a world of rapidly growing economic powerhouses. Just nuts. Costs to be in the EU £9b costs so far to be out £40b plus.

More tax rises definitely in the pipeline.

By *ustintime69Man  over a year ago

Bristol

A lot of younger people want us to rejoin the EU because they like being European and being able to travel and study and work with no limitations. They feel betrayed by the leavers and can’t understand what the hell they were thinking as on any rational business like evaluation leaving the EU was a dumb idea and there are still no tangible benefits to show for it unless it’s the ability to ride roughshod over workers rights, consumer law and coming soon human rights! Oh but I guess that’s probably all a bit “woke” for some of the muppets who are still waving their tatty freedom day flags!

By *armandwet50Couple  over a year ago

Manchester

"A lot of younger people want us to rejoin the EU because they like being European and being able to travel and study and work with no limitations. "

Oh to be young again and uninformed, those were the days

golden fields

"A lot of younger people want us to rejoin the EU because they like being European and being able to travel and study and work with no limitations.

Oh to be young again and uninformed, those were the days"

It's sad that young British people don't have the same opportunities we had.

Brighton

"A lot of younger people want us to rejoin the EU because they like being European and being able to travel and study and work with no limitations.

Oh to be old and looking back nostalgically through rose coloured spectacles.

Why should those who have had most of their life dictate the future of those who are only at the start of theirs?

Why should those who have had most of their life dictate the future of those who are only at the start of theirs?"

Boomers will be boomers

borehamwood

Why should those who have had most of their life dictate the future of those who are only at the start of theirs?"

erm thats the way its all ways been, and those youngsters you feel have been fucked over well guess what when there older they will not give a flying one about the youngsters of the future either, you think this is a new thing?

Manchester

As opposed to being old ignorant and mislead.

Bristol

As opposed to being old ignorant and mislead. "

WoW!!

Manchester

Why should those who have had most of their life dictate the future of those who are only at the start of theirs?erm thats the way its all ways been, and those youngsters you feel have been fucked over well guess what when there older they will not give a flying one about the youngsters of the future either, you think this is a new thing? "

What parent doesn’t want better for their children?? Just because sone parents are blind to the reality of a situation doesn’t mean they don’t want better for their children. It just means they don’t have the ability to understand what is better.

Manchester

WoW!! "

Well saying the young are uninformed is equally insulting.

If you read and believe everything written in the Daily Express, ignorant kind of sums you up.

My father in his 90s said Brexit was stupid so it’s not one size fits all but the older generation were the highest proportion of selfish “uninformed” voters.

golden fields

WoW!!

Well saying the young are uninformed is equally insulting.

If you read and believe everything written in the Daily Express, ignorant kind of sums you up.

My father in his 90s said Brexit was stupid so it’s not one size fits all but the older generation were the highest proportion of selfish “uninformed” voters.

"

Absolutely, and statistically speaking, there must be some confused young people who think brexit is a good idea. Even now.

Brighton

Why should those who have had most of their life dictate the future of those who are only at the start of theirs?erm thats the way its all ways been, and those youngsters you feel have been fucked over well guess what when there older they will not give a flying one about the youngsters of the future either, you think this is a new thing? "

Why would YOU think that I think this is a new thing?

The specific context here was Brexit and how this will disproportionately impact on younger people than old.

The Boomers have milked this planet dry and enjoyed an unprecedented economic bounty that they now seem to want to deny their grandchildren due to some pathetic flag waving patriotism and nostalgia for a past that has no place in a modern global world.

Just cos things “have always been” doesn’t mean they “should always be”

Bristol

I don’t think you can lump baby boomers all in the same box.

borehamwood

Why should those who have had most of their life dictate the future of those who are only at the start of theirs?erm thats the way its all ways been, and those youngsters you feel have been fucked over well guess what when there older they will not give a flying one about the youngsters of the future either, you think this is a new thing?

The specific context here was Brexit and how this will disproportionately impact on younger people than old.

The Boomers have milked this planet dry and enjoyed an unprecedented economic bounty that they now seem to want to deny their grandchildren due to some pathetic flag waving patriotism and nostalgia for a past that has no place in a modern global world.

Just cos things “have always been” doesn’t mean they “should always be”"

good luck with that, i used to belive we could all make a better world to, then i got to my mid 30s and sussed out its hippy dippy bullshit and wishfull thinking and started looking out for me and mine

By *ornyone30Man  over a year ago

ABERDEEN

Everyone suggesting they would vote for the UK to rejoin or stay out of europe? Look closer to home, there will not even be a UK as we know it in the next decade. Im 100% covinced there will be scottish and welsh vote for independence and a vote on irish reunification. I wonder if there is appetite for England to vote on its own independence?

By *ity_BoyMan  over a year ago

London

"good luck with that, i used to belive we could all make a better world to, then i got to my mid 30s and sussed out its hippy dippy bullshit and wishfull thinking and started looking out for me and mine"

How has Brexit benefited you?

borehamwood

"good luck with that, i used to belive we could all make a better world to, then i got to my mid 30s and sussed out its hippy dippy bullshit and wishfull thinking and started looking out for me and mine

How has Brexit benefited you?"

hasnt benefited me at all but then again i didnt bother taking part anyway, i was one of the people who didnt vote because i didnt really care if we stayed or not, how has brexit harmed you?

borehamwood

"Everyone suggesting they would vote for the UK to rejoin or stay out of europe? Look closer to home, there will not even be a UK as we know it in the next decade. Im 100% covinced there will be scottish and welsh vote for independence and a vote on irish reunification. I wonder if there is appetite for England to vote on its own independence? "
no appetite amongst those who class themselves as british watever that is, but those who class themselves as english i think would love a vote for independence

golden fields

"good luck with that, i used to belive we could all make a better world to, then i got to my mid 30s and sussed out its hippy dippy bullshit and wishfull thinking and started looking out for me and mine

How has Brexit benefited you?hasnt benefited me at all but then again i didnt bother taking part anyway, i was one of the people who didnt vote because i didnt really care if we stayed or not, how has brexit harmed you? "

Brexit has damaged and weakened the economy. Which impacts us all, whichever way they voted, or didn't. Even the people using the Black Knight brexit defence, it's impacting them too.

Actually after WW2 everyone including the older generation wanted a better future for everyone.

Then decades later that sentiment changed to "fuck you I have mine I don't need to care about yours".

"Everyone suggesting they would vote for the UK to rejoin or stay out of europe? Look closer to home, there will not even be a UK as we know it in the next decade. Im 100% covinced there will be scottish and welsh vote for independence and a vote on irish reunification. I wonder if there is appetite for England to vote on its own independence? no appetite amongst those who class themselves as british watever that is, but those who class themselves as english i think would love a vote for independence"

ah so only foreigners voted to remain gotcha

borehamwood

"Everyone suggesting they would vote for the UK to rejoin or stay out of europe? Look closer to home, there will not even be a UK as we know it in the next decade. Im 100% covinced there will be scottish and welsh vote for independence and a vote on irish reunification. I wonder if there is appetite for England to vote on its own independence? no appetite amongst those who class themselves as british watever that is, but those who class themselves as english i think would love a vote for independence

ah so only foreigners voted to remain gotcha "

erm i was answering someone who asked if there was an appetite for english independence, dunno what your going on about as there hasnt been a vote on that yet, read what your actually replying to

Manchester

The treasury committee made Rishi squirm recently as they pointed out the damage done to the U.K. by Brexit which is confirmed by the OBR. He contradicted himself by saying the drop in trade wasn’t clearly due to Brexit but when pressed had no alternative answer. Covid numbers had been extracted so he couldn’t use that. The figures also stated that most of the EU trade intensity has increased while the U.K. has shrunk.

So if you voted for democracy then that’s a failure as we need PR for that along with no lords or unelected ministers and if you voted Brexit to give the U.K. a better global trading future that’s also a failure.

I would be happy if we took small step to be closer with things such as customs union as that only has positives and free movement if you have a guaranteed underwritten job.

The Ukraine conflict is hiding a lot of painful truths at the moment with the mess that is Brexit.

Terra Firma

"The Ukraine conflict is hiding a lot of painful truths at the moment with the mess that is Brexit. "

I hear this! We have not had any time without crisis to really take stock of the impact of Brexit.

Have world events been a blessing for Boris? I think they have. When the dust settles and the media have nothing to sharpen their knives on we will shall see for sure.

West London

Why should those who have had most of their life dictate the future of those who are only at the start of theirs?erm thats the way its all ways been, and those youngsters you feel have been fucked over well guess what when there older they will not give a flying one about the youngsters of the future either, you think this is a new thing?

Just cos things “have always been” doesn’t mean they “should always be”good luck with that, i used to belive we could all make a better world to, then i got to my mid 30s and sussed out its hippy dippy bullshit and wishfull thinking and started looking out for me and mine"

...and you remain one of the most negative posters on here claiming that nothing will ever improve under any circumstances. Yet, large swathes of the world have seen their lives improve dramatically because people have done things that you appear to consider pointless.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p00cgkfk

TED talks Hans Rosling The best stats you've ever seen and How not to be ignorant about the world

borehamwood

Just cos things “have always been” doesn’t mean they “should always be”good luck with that, i used to belive we could all make a better world to, then i got to my mid 30s and sussed out its hippy dippy bullshit and wishfull thinking and started looking out for me and mine

...and you remain one of the most negative posters on here claiming that nothing will ever improve under any circumstances. Yet, large swathes of the world have seen their lives improve dramatically because people have done things that you appear to consider pointless.

TED talks Hans Rosling The best stats you've ever seen and How not to be ignorant about the world"

and again easy ive asked you ot to converse with me on here several times now but still you keep commenting on something ive posted and negative lol im not the one who keeps going on about how shit the country is, im just living in the real world not wishing for something that dont exist, now for the last time sweetheart dont converse with me anymore, im asking nicely

Just cos things “have always been” doesn’t mean they “should always be”good luck with that, i used to belive we could all make a better world to, then i got to my mid 30s and sussed out its hippy dippy bullshit and wishfull thinking and started looking out for me and mine

TED talks Hans Rosling The best stats you've ever seen and How not to be ignorant about the worldand again easy ive asked you ot to converse with me on here several times now but still you keep commenting on something ive posted and negative lol im not the one who keeps going on about how shit the country is, im just living in the real world not wishing for something that dont exist, now for the last time sweetheart dont converse with me anymore, im asking nicely"

still trying to police the forums then hahahahahahahahahaha

West London

TED talks Hans Rosling The best stats you've ever seen and How not to be ignorant about the worldand again easy ive asked you ot to converse with me on here several times now but still you keep commenting on something ive posted and negative lol im not the one who keeps going on about how shit the country is, im just living in the real world not wishing for something that dont exist, now for the last time sweetheart dont converse with me anymore, im asking nicely"

Nah. I don't feel like doing what you tell me to do, nor being patronised, "sweetheart"

Most people are reasonably agreeable most of the time and most people's lives have been improving through their own efforts and those of strangers.

Be miserable, but don't drag everyone down.

I do not keep "going on about how shit the country is".

Our current Government and it's behaviour is particularly poor and Brexit will not help the the majority of the population. That's not the same thing at all.

Silly man

West London

You could just watch the videos because they are quite entertaining and provide some interesting information rather than behaving so negatively, but why bother when you can wallow in a well of misery?

borehamwood

TED talks Hans Rosling The best stats you've ever seen and How not to be ignorant about the worldand again easy ive asked you ot to converse with me on here several times now but still you keep commenting on something ive posted and negative lol im not the one who keeps going on about how shit the country is, im just living in the real world not wishing for something that dont exist, now for the last time sweetheart dont converse with me anymore, im asking nicely

You could just watch the videos because they are quite entertaining and provide some interesting information rather than behaving so negatively, but why bother when you can wallow in a well of misery? "

goodbye

Tayside and Midlands

You can, I'm sure find some odd nut job in Botswana who thinks Aliens built the pyramids and who isn't laughing at us for brexit. I'll give you that.You need to get abroad more mate been a few times over the last year not once has it ever come up in conversation let alone anyone laughing, people in other countries have forgotten about it not that it ever bothered them that much anyway.Its only the minority bitter remainers who cant let go and convince themselves the rest of the world think like them to make themselves feel better when in reality they couldnt give a fuck.

Anyway, if you think brexit is a good idea, you're unlikely to acknowledge that we're a laughing stock over it to the rest of the world."

what complete bollocks.

I travel the world and you could not be further from the truth.

There is a lot wrong with the UK and illegal immigration and an over reliance on benefits problem needs to be sorted. Far too many single parents who do not work. Do not have kids if you cannot support them. The sense of entitlement must stop.

Tayside and Midlands

"Everyone suggesting they would vote for the UK to rejoin or stay out of europe? Look closer to home, there will not even be a UK as we know it in the next decade. Im 100% covinced there will be scottish and welsh vote for independence and a vote on irish reunification. I wonder if there is appetite for England to vote on its own independence? "

Tayside and Midlands

How thick are you. Scotland could not even service the debt. 114% of gdp in spending. If it were not for the taxes raised in England Scotland would be a bankrupt country. Shetland has already confirmed (as was established in the 70s, they have the legal right to not be part of Scotland) so what you left with? Not a lot and no industry. I am Scottish but one who understands the need for the Kingdom to remain United.

"There is a lot wrong with the UK and illegal immigration and an over reliance on benefits problem needs to be sorted. Far too many single parents who do not work. Do not have kids if you cannot support them. The sense of entitlement must stop."

you must be travelling a different planet in another galaxy then. the self harm of brexit is what most people abroad just can't help asking about. second to that is why we have such an obvious idiot for a political leader and thirdly why do we still put up with medievel gangsters as head of state in the 21st century.

near ipswich

"There is a lot wrong with the UK and illegal immigration and an over reliance on benefits problem needs to be sorted. Far too many single parents who do not work. Do not have kids if you cannot support them. The sense of entitlement must stop.

you must be travelling a different planet in another galaxy then. the self harm of brexit is what most people abroad just can't help asking about. second to that is why we have such an obvious idiot for a political leader and thirdly why do we still put up with medievel gangsters as head of state in the 21st century. "

Is it as i said before ive travelled a fair bit since brexit have friends in the eu and have never been asked about it they respect the decision of the brits and just get on with their lives just like most brits.

golden fields

"There is a lot wrong with the UK and illegal immigration and an over reliance on benefits problem needs to be sorted. Far too many single parents who do not work. Do not have kids if you cannot support them. The sense of entitlement must stop.

you must be travelling a different planet in another galaxy then. the self harm of brexit is what most people abroad just can't help asking about. second to that is why we have such an obvious idiot for a political leader and thirdly why do we still put up with medievel gangsters as head of state in the 21st century. "

Just as there are people here who think brexit is a good idea, despite reality. There are some people around the world who don't care. But the vast majority laughed at us, and/or looked on in disbelief.

By *ustintime69Man  over a year ago

Bristol

"Everyone suggesting they would vote for the UK to rejoin or stay out of europe? Look closer to home, there will not even be a UK as we know it in the next decade. Im 100% covinced there will be scottish and welsh vote for independence and a vote on irish reunification. I wonder if there is appetite for England to vote on its own independence?

How thick are you. Scotland could not even service the debt. 114% of gdp in spending. If it were not for the taxes raised in England Scotland would be a bankrupt country. Shetland has already confirmed (as was established in the 70s, they have the legal right to not be part of Scotland) so what you left with? Not a lot and no industry. I am Scottish but one who understands the need for the Kingdom to remain United."

Well I guess they could always go in for lower corporate tax regimes as Eire has done and focus on financial services within the EU or is that unlikely?

"Everyone suggesting they would vote for the UK to rejoin or stay out of europe? Look closer to home, there will not even be a UK as we know it in the next decade. Im 100% covinced there will be scottish and welsh vote for independence and a vote on irish reunification. I wonder if there is appetite for England to vote on its own independence?

How thick are you. Scotland could not even service the debt. 114% of gdp in spending. If it were not for the taxes raised in England Scotland would be a bankrupt country. Shetland has already confirmed (as was established in the 70s, they have the legal right to not be part of Scotland) so what you left with? Not a lot and no industry. I am Scottish but one who understands the need for the Kingdom to remain United.

Well I guess they could always go in for lower corporate tax regimes as Eire has done and focus on financial services within the EU or is that unlikely?"

wales and scotland as tax havens bordering england, selling the english electric, water, fin tech etc etc at world market prices..... england would be bankrupt in 3 months pmsl

Brighton

Anyway, if you think brexit is a good idea, you're unlikely to acknowledge that we're a laughing stock over it to the rest of the world.

what complete bollocks.

I travel the world and you could not be further from the truth.

There is a lot wrong with the UK and illegal immigration and an over reliance on benefits problem needs to be sorted. Far too many single parents who do not work. Do not have kids if you cannot support them. The sense of entitlement must stop."

Which just goes to show the pretty much worthless value of anecdotes as I too travel the world extensively for business and my experience and what I have been told is different to yours! Most people I meet are just so “why did you Brits do that it makes no sense” So who knows hey?