FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > Politics > Fuel duty - do prices go down at 6pm today?

Fuel duty - do prices go down at 6pm today?

Jump to: Newest in thread

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

So, how does fuel duty work exactly?

Mr Sunak says it decreases by 5p per litre from 6pm today.

Does that mean my local garage will reduce their price by 5p per litre at 6pm today?

Is fuel duty applied at the point of retail sale or at some other point in the chain?

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *ercuryMan  over a year ago

Grantham

Thats the plan. See how fast the petrol stations react.

By *ighty_tightyMan  over a year ago

Norfolk/Suffolk

I'm not sure

Is it the duty applied when they buy it or when they sell it?

As far as I can find out, duty is paid / charged when the fuel leaves the refinery, but I'm not an expert on these things.

If this is correct, then we won't be seeing cheaper petrol tomorrow morning unless you're lucky enough to buy from a petrol station who has just received a delivery which left the refinery after 6pm tonight.

Crikey, that's complicated.

I think I'll ask about whether VAT is charged on the fuel duty amount (tax on tax) another day.

By *ercuryMan  over a year ago

Grantham

My local asda has already reduced by 6p this afternoon.

"My local asda has already reduced by 6p this afternoon. "

This has been noted, especially since Walmart, Euro Garages etc. Maybe the brothers are realising that supermarkets are hyper competitive?

By *abioMan  over a year ago

Newcastle and Gateshead

"My local asda has already reduced by 6p this afternoon.

This has been noted, especially since Walmart, Euro Garages etc. Maybe the brothers are realising that supermarkets are hyper competitive?"

This is why I waited to see what was going to happen.. I will fill up the car tomorrow..

By *ostafunMan  over a year ago

near ipswich

This has been noted, especially since Walmart, Euro Garages etc. Maybe the brothers are realising that supermarkets are hyper competitive?

This is why I waited to see what was going to happen.. I will fill up the car tomorrow.. "

Only 1/2 fill it mate better for mpg as not so much weight to carry.

By *tace 309TV/TS  over a year ago

durham

Well the local garage to me was charging 179.9 per litre for diesel at 11.50 this morning then changed it at 12.15 to 183.9 per litre to beat sunaks 5p off duty.these mega, rich oil companies are now taking the mick I'm sorry it's time to protest now and block these forecourts.

Somebody, somewhere is having a laugh at our expense. If you sit there and take it things will only get worse. Enough is enough

durham

Boycott all Shell and BP garages and do it now

By *mateur100Man  over a year ago

nr faversham

This is why I waited to see what was going to happen.. I will fill up the car tomorrow.. Only 1/2 fill it mate better for mpg as not so much weight to carry."

ASDA usually among the cheapest so not surprised to see they've applied it already. Not convinced everyone else will

near ipswich

"Boycott all Shell and BP garages and do it now "
Boycott total they are still buying russian oil bp and shell are not.

By *abioMan  over a year ago

Newcastle and Gateshead

This is why I waited to see what was going to happen.. I will fill up the car tomorrow.. Only 1/2 fill it mate better for mpg as not so much weight to carry.

ASDA usually among the cheapest so not surprised to see they've applied it already. Not convinced everyone else will"

Just went into a Morrisons and they were 156.9 whereas the shell 5 minutes up the road 10p more expensive

durham

Well that local Shell garage up our way who put their diesel price up yesterday to £183.9per litre just before sunaks 5p off has now put diesel up again this morning to £187.9per litre. Another 4p increase in less than 24 hours. Its, time Shell learnt a less. Stop takimg the piss out of us motorists. People, learn to stop using these money grabbers and boycott them for good. Sainsburys, a further 2 miles away are charging £1.67 per litre for their diesel

durham

Enough is enough.. Its time to say no more.

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

"Enough is enough.. Its time to say no more. "

Easy not to buy. Or just get a leccy car.

By *ovebjsMan  over a year ago

Bristol

"Well that local Shell garage up our way who put their diesel price up yesterday to £183.9per litre just before sunaks 5p off has now put diesel up again this morning to £187.9per litre. Another 4p increase in less than 24 hours. Its, time Shell learnt a less. Stop takimg the piss out of us motorists. People, learn to stop using these money grabbers and boycott them for good. Sainsburys, a further 2 miles away are charging £1.67 per litre for their diesel"

I never use shell they have always been a ripoff

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

This is why I waited to see what was going to happen.. I will fill up the car tomorrow.. Only 1/2 fill it mate better for mpg as not so much weight to carry."

Tbh this is in theory good advice. But what does it save in practise? On a 2ton car, saving 40kgs from 1/2 a tank would what? Save 1/2 an mpg? The style of driving would save a LOT more. But then time is money so what’s another balancing act. 15 mins saved at the cost of a few mpgs?

near ipswich

This is why I waited to see what was going to happen.. I will fill up the car tomorrow.. Only 1/2 fill it mate better for mpg as not so much weight to carry.

Tbh this is in theory good advice. But what does it save in practise? On a 2ton car, saving 40kgs from 1/2 a tank would what? Save 1/2 an mpg? The style of driving would save a LOT more. But then time is money so what’s another balancing act. 15 mins saved at the cost of a few mpgs? "

Not a lot i grant you time is not money for me though i have plenty on my hands.

» Add a new message to this topic