FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > Politics > They say that speed limiters will utterly destroy the luxury car market

They say that speed limiters will utterly destroy the luxury car market

Jump to: Newest in thread

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

I say,

Bring it on!

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

"I say,

Bring it on!"

easy to disconnect it job done

"I say,

Bring it on!easy to disconnect it job done "

And illegal, it will fail it’s MOT, and you will get a driving ban .

By *vbride1963TV/TS  over a year ago

E.K . Glasgow

Once the change is made to vehicle tax where it will be calculated on miles driven . GPS data from the vehicles little black box will bring in automatic fines for speeding as well as how many miles covered . AI Is watching .

"Once the change is made to vehicle tax where it will be calculated on miles driven . GPS data from the vehicles little black box will bring in automatic fines for speeding as well as how many miles covered . AI Is watching . "

Yep, insurance will be based on this as well, no point in having a car that doesn’t 160 mph anymore

"I say,

Bring it on!easy to disconnect it job done

And illegal, it will fail it’s MOT, and you will get a driving ban . "

your making the assumption that they care have a licence and not illegal to disconnect also black box are easy to get round but agree it will probably come in at some point but till then I'll carry on with my lead foot on the throttle.

"I say,

And illegal, it will fail it’s MOT, and you will get a driving ban . your making the assumption that they care have a licence and not illegal to disconnect also black box are easy to get round but agree it will probably come in at some point but till then I'll carry on with my lead foot on the throttle. "

Maybe, drive safe

By *eroy1000Man  over a year ago

milton keynes

"I say,

Bring it on!easy to disconnect it job done "

An rac article says the EU confirm the system can be overridden by the driver in case they need to get out of a perilous situation. Also they have relented to industry pressure and now manufactures only have to fit an auditable device that warns when speed limit is exceeded. The article is from Jan 22 so not sure if there have been changes since

By *ackal1Couple  over a year ago

Manchester

Fines will be large and bans a plenty like with truck drivers who’ve had limiters for years. Trucks had limiters fitted at least three years before they were compulsory. Cars can probably be programmed right now.

The only down side is there are a lot of sports and luxury cars whose research and development along with a lot of parts manufacturing which are based in the U.K. Unless we create alternatives for high skilled employment we will all be driving the same cars built by robots but all be a lot poorer. .

By *atEvolutionCouple  over a year ago

atlantisEVOLUTION Swingers Club. Stoke.

"I say,

An rac article says the EU confirm the system can be overridden by the driver in case they need to get out of a perilous situation. Also they have relented to industry pressure and now manufactures only have to fit an auditable device that warns when speed limit is exceeded. The article is from Jan 22 so not sure if there have been changes since"

My car tells me in voice and chime if I over speed it also chatters my steering wheel and puts warning lights on my dash and mirrors if I try to overtake at a speed higher than the stated speed limit - it also reads the road signs. And slams on the brakes and auto cruises behind other cars and slows if they do and and and . . . It has 5 radars and three cameras and 7 computers.

I can turn any of them off at any time . . . but what would be the point when really the point is to drive safely and at the stated speed limit not like a *&^"

Want to race? Go find a race track.

By *ebjonnsonMan  over a year ago

Maldon

"I say,

Doesn’t get its first MOT for three years. By then they will have sold it.

milton keynes

"I say,

An rac article says the EU confirm the system can be overridden by the driver in case they need to get out of a perilous situation. Also they have relented to industry pressure and now manufactures only have to fit an auditable device that warns when speed limit is exceeded. The article is from Jan 22 so not sure if there have been changes since

My car tells me in voice and chime if I over speed it also chatters my steering wheel and puts warning lights on my dash and mirrors if I try to overtake at a speed higher than the stated speed limit - it also reads the road signs. And slams on the brakes and auto cruises behind other cars and slows if they do and and and . . . It has 5 radars and three cameras and 7 computers.

I can turn any of them off at any time . . . but what would be the point when really the point is to drive safely and at the stated speed limit not like a *&^"

Want to race? Go find a race track.

"

Sounds like it more than complies. In fact just the audio warning means it complies and everything else is a bonus

Has someone just woken up from a coma? Or is it a slow news day, this has been “all over the news” months ago.

By *rFunBoyMan  over a year ago

Longridge

Not sure how it will destroy the luxury car market, unless at the same time they are bringing in a speed limit - say around 70mph?

Anyone driving over these limits should face full force of the law regardless of the vehicle they drive.

By *oubleswing2019Man  over a year ago

Colchester

I've always thought it odd that company X spend so much money and resource on making a super sports car that can go twice or even three times the national speed limit. Makes no sense to me and seems a waste of money.

If it costs X to make the car, then they spend an additional Y on getting the performance, the difference between x and y is a net waste, surely ? Couldn't the spend the difference on making the car more fuel efficient and safer instead ?

I mean there is overengineering and gratuitous overengineering and it seems unnecessary to me.

Speed limit is 70, not 140.

You've paid for extra 70mph which the law will fine you for using.

By *bernathCouple  over a year ago

Gloucestershire

Look you want a sports car it’s fine.

If you want to want to drive super fast there are tracks you can go to let your speed freak out, just don’t use our roads which we paid for. There are legal outlets for your Penis extension, so use them.

By *ostafunMan  over a year ago

near ipswich

"I've always thought it odd that company X spend so much money and resource on making a super sports car that can go twice or even three times the national speed limit. Makes no sense to me and seems a waste of money.

If it costs X to make the car, then they spend an additional Y on getting the performance, the difference between x and y is a net waste, surely ? Couldn't the spend the difference on making the car more fuel efficient and safer instead ?

I mean there is overengineering and gratuitous overengineering and it seems unnecessary to me.

You've paid for extra 70mph which the law will fine you for using."

Yeah why dont we be like russia in the 80,s and all drive a Lada? ffs people should be able to spend their money how they want.

"Not sure how it will destroy the luxury car market, unless at the same time they are bringing in a speed limit - say around 70mph?

Anyone driving over these limits should face full force of the law regardless of the vehicle they drive."

They should increase the limits then. Car safety and technology have increased massively since the limits were defined - and with the move over to EV the need to conserve oil is diminished.

Or maybe since we have a progressive tax system and the technology to automatically fine via black box may exist - maybe it is time for variable upper speed limits based on car technology and subject to an advance driving test?

Let those who want to skimp go slower?

"I've always thought it odd that company X spend so much money and resource on making a super sports car that can go twice or even three times the national speed limit. Makes no sense to me and seems a waste of money.

Cars are designed for multiple markets.

The limit is not uniformity 70mph across all markets.

Some of the cars whilst road legal are designed also to be used on a track.

Not all markets even define their limits in mph.

So it is not quite as gratuitous and simple as you state.

If these kind of restrictions do come into play I hope that:

The technology will encourage/force those who don’t know how to use their rear view mirror or the multi lane system to improve their skills and knowledge. Or, undertaking is legalised.

There are a whole lot if the 70mph cardigan wearing, daily mail letter writing, Volvo/Honda and caravan owning sticklers who will hog a lane to overtake a vehicle at 1mph faster “just because” (they are cunts).

By *ovebjsMan  over a year ago

Bristol

[Removed by poster at 17/04/22 08:34:12]

Bristol

Aint it a fact that it's only the self entitled FUCKWITS who will complain about not being able to anoy others just so they can drive as they want

"Aint it a fact that it's only the self entitled FUCKWITS who will complain about not being able to anoy others just so they can drive as they want "

tax, driving and fucking…, we all take what we can and make the most of what we can get away with

By *amish SMan  over a year ago

Eastleigh

The post title says it all 'luxury car' sadly this will also be a problem for the peasants carts as well.

Bristol

What’s the problem with actually sticking to the speed limits anyways?

If someone wants to drive their super car fast then I’m sure there are private tracks they can use

Same goes for motorcycles

By *ophieslutTV/TS  over a year ago

Central

We may get to the point where road use has to be prebooked, with route and road lanes preallocated, for specific dates and times. It could make efficient use of the scarce road infrastructure. The speed driven would be as allocated by the system. You may be able to get a faster journey, on payment of a premium fee but speeding could be abolished, once you have no automatic, unauthorised access to any road.

milton keynes

"What’s the problem with actually sticking to the speed limits anyways?

If someone wants to drive their super car fast then I’m sure there are private tracks they can use

Same goes for motorcycles

"

I assume that's what this rule is about which in turn reduces road deaths. However it may not reduce as much as first hoped as manufacturers can get away with installing an audio warning only. That in itself should help a bit but if you want to make sure you stick to the limit then it's totally down to the driver

By *ealthy_and_HungMan  over a year ago

Princes Risborough, Luasanne, Alderney

hopefully it will mean less vehicles on the road in general as the years go by.

Everybody knows that a well tuned corsa goes very much faster than a Range Rover Vogue. It's the driver that needs the education not the cars electronics.

Everyone knows also that an electric car future will bring evermore cars onto the road too.

milton keynes

There is another issue if they eventually go to a fully automated system some time in the future and its similar to issues with driver less cars. If it does somehow go over the limit and a ticket is issued who is responsible?

"There is another issue if they eventually go to a fully automated system some time in the future and its similar to issues with driver less cars. If it does somehow go over the limit and a ticket is issued who is responsible?"

Current US law says the owner or ferried driver. Insurance companies will make sure they don't pay however

milton keynes

"There is another issue if they eventually go to a fully automated system some time in the future and its similar to issues with driver less cars. If it does somehow go over the limit and a ticket is issued who is responsible?

Current US law says the owner or ferried driver. Insurance companies will make sure they don't pay however "

I think that is the problem. People will rely on the tech sold by the car companies to keep them within the law but any problems then the same car companies are not liable

"We may get to the point where road use has to be prebooked, with route and road lanes preallocated, for specific dates and times. It could make efficient use of the scarce road infrastructure. The speed driven would be as allocated by the system. You may be able to get a faster journey, on payment of a premium fee but speeding could be abolished, once you have no automatic, unauthorised access to any road. "

Why not go one step further and have a allow variable usage based on price? A secondary market in allocations (with a cap on pre booking to avoid scalping)? Those on a budget could use the slow lane, those who’s time is valuable and in demand can pay a bit extra to travel ti destination quicker? The extra revenue collected from those who want time efficiency and willing to pay extra could be used to subsidise those on a budget who struggle to pay for the upgraded technology. A bit like a priority lane at the airport.

By *V-AliceTV/TS  over a year ago

Ayr

No they won't. Not even in the UK. There's all sorts of maximum speed limits all over the world already - and even devices in cars to make sure they're adhered to.

That's been the case for years and the luxury car market hasn't gone down the shitter.

Luxury cars are status symbols - way better than ordinary cars in many ways, except the most important one - getting you from A to B.

People are still going to want that status symbol - even if it goes a bit slower because the government says it has to.

If you can afford a luxury car, why not get one?

Bristol

The solution is quite easy really, every car fitted with a gps speed monitor which is able to be interrogated by police or monitoring at any time.

If it is found to be disabled and not transmitting then the driver is stopped the divide checked.

If found to be bypassed mahoosive fine

By *eavenNhellCouple  over a year ago

carrbrook stalybridge

They should increase the limits then. Car safety and technology have increased massively since the limits were defined - and with the move over to EV the need to conserve oil is diminished.

sadly whilst the safety equipment on new vehicles has vastly improved the standard of driving ability has deteriorated badly and any increase in speed limits untill they improve would cause carnage .

"The solution is quite easy really, every car fitted with a gps speed monitor which is able to be interrogated by police or monitoring at any time.

If it is found to be disabled and not transmitting then the driver is stopped the divide checked.

If found to be bypassed mahoosive fine "

And the taking back control anti vax brigade will accept that I expect. After all they live being remote controlled?

"No they won't. Not even in the UK. There's all sorts of maximum speed limits all over the world already - and even devices in cars to make sure they're adhered to.

That's been the case for years and the luxury car market hasn't gone down the shitter.

Luxury cars are status symbols - way better than ordinary cars in many ways, except the most important one - getting you from A to B.

People are still going to want that status symbol - even if it goes a bit slower because the government says it has to.

If you can afford a luxury car, why not get one?"

Maybe the next step will be the luxury lanes?

Slow lane and middle lane 10 per mile.

Fast lane £1 per use or £5/mile which ever adds up the most. More when traffic is heavy. Make it cost £150 plus to drive from Birmingham to Manchester that way. That would certainly cut down pollution, congestion and the need to speed. Everyone’s a winner!

By *iman2100Man  over a year ago

Glasgow

Some years ago a study into human

behaviour found that when drivers drove "safe" cars they drove more recklessly and paid less attention.

The study was then extended and it was discovered that when people were forced to drive at a speed less than what they considered optimum their concentration reduced and after an hour or so they were as slow to react as a d*unk driver. Previously the perception of risk kept them alert.

Anyone who has ever driven on an American 6 lane highway at peak time, when there is upwards of 2000 cars all going 55, will know the fear that one feels of what would happen if your car breaks down. What happens if the car in front slows dramatically and the next 30 dreamy, disconnected, drivers behind all crash into you.

For me the EU should stop introducing revenue collecting measures in the name of safety and set a date on which only autonimous self drive cars are permitted on the road.

By *eavenNhellCouple  over a year ago

carrbrook stalybridge

"No they won't. Not even in the UK. There's all sorts of maximum speed limits all over the world already - and even devices in cars to make sure they're adhered to.

this journey to out laws house 330 miles takes around 6 hours journey done in our bog standard poverty spec kia rio arrive tired and slightly sore .same journey done in our previous jaguar s type arrive relaxed not particulaly fatigued in both cases both journeys were done at or around the speed limits i know which vehicle i would prefer to this journey in again

By *rDiscretionXXXMan  over a year ago

Gilfach

"If it costs X to make the car, then they spend an additional Y on getting the performance, the difference between x and y is a net waste, surely ? Couldn't the spend the difference on making the car more fuel efficient and safer instead ?"

They *are* spending the money on making the car more efficient. Best efficiency on the motorway comes from having good aerodynamics, high gearing, and the engine torque to cruise along at 1500rpm.

Of course, if the foolish driver puts his foot down, that same engine will go up to 3000rpm, and the high gearing and good aerodynamics will allow the car to go up to 140mph.

To make a car fuel efficient, it has to be able to massively exceed the speed limit.

Colchester

[Removed by poster at 18/04/22 01:33:50]

Colchester

"Yeah why dont we be like russia in the 80,s and all drive a Lada? ffs people should be able to spend their money how they want."

I think you missed the point. I'm talking about 2 things essentially. 1. Additional cost for performance, and 2. Performance limitation due to legal restrictions.

I could make a box with 4 wheels that goes 100mph. Cost £20K.

I could make a box with with 4 wheels that goes 180mph. Cost £250K

Both are only legally allowed to go 70 mph. Read that again and again and again until it sinks in.

Logic and pragmatism says the 20K box gets the job done.

For 250K, I'd expect flying, full autonomy and runs on air moisture converted in to hydrogen, so fuel costs nothing. Still don't need it to go 180 mph though because the speed limit it 70 mph.

An extra 80 mph is a) not worth it, and b) fineable on normal roads, isn't it ?

I don't know much about Lada's, apart from they were mass-produced utilitarian vehicles were they not ? Sounds quite sensible to me.

"Yeah why dont we be like russia in the 80,s and all drive a Lada? ffs people should be able to spend their money how they want.

I think you missed the point. I'm talking about 2 things essentially. 1. Additional cost for performance, and 2. Performance limitation due to legal restrictions.

I could make a box with 4 wheels that goes 100mph. Cost £20K.

I could make a box with with 4 wheels that goes 180mph. Cost £250K

Both are only legally allowed to go 70 mph. Read that again and again and again until it sinks in.

Logic and pragmatism says the 20K box gets the job done.

For 250K, I'd expect flying, full autonomy and runs on air moisture converted in to hydrogen, so fuel costs nothing. Still don't need it to go 180 mph though because the speed limit it 70 mph.

An extra 80 mph is a) not worth it, and b) fineable on normal roads, isn't it ?

I don't know much about Lada's, apart from they were mass-produced utilitarian vehicles were they not ? Sounds quite sensible to me. "

You (a) assume the only benefit is extra speed and

(b) seem to assume that everyone would be happy with the standard basic offering.

Are you a communist?

By *ornucopiaMan  over a year ago

Bexley

"

Because most of them are no effing use for carrying things like 8x4 boards. fence posts or paving slabs in!

By *ohnnyTwoNotesMan  over a year ago

golden fields

"

Because most of them are no effing use for carrying things like 8x4 boards. fence posts or paving slabs in!"

Also you might not want to look like a bellend.

By *ulaMan  over a year ago

Hitchin

"I say,

How will it fail mot road test no needed ?

I think that the premise that stopping a car going over the speed limit with electronics would kill the luxury car market is just plain old wrong anyway. A luxury car at 140 mph is still a luxury car at 70mph after all.

near ipswich

The thing is the majority of people stick to the speed limits, do we actually need more rules imposed on everyone because of the minority its getting more like a nanny state every year.

By *iman2100Man  over a year ago

Glasgow

The roads will be like those dual carridgeways with hills where lorries with speed governors go up the hills and one overtakes the other with 1mph difference.

There will be huge lines of closely spaced traffic just waiting for the massive pileup.

Gilfach

"I could make a box with 4 wheels that goes 100mph. Cost £20K.

I could make a box with with 4 wheels that goes 180mph. Cost £250K.

An extra 80 mph is a) not worth it ..."

You can buy a Volkswagen Golf for £20k, and it will do 147mph. You could spend a lot more and you'll get a lot more comfort and refinement and gadgetry, but the top speed will be about the same.

Like I said above, it's fuel efficiency which dictates top speed, not the amount of money you pay.

Interestingly this is all changing with electric cars. They don't have the same issue with gearing, so the top speed of new electric cars is much lower, usually around 100mph.

"I think that the premise that stopping a car going over the speed limit with electronics would kill the luxury car market is just plain old wrong anyway. A luxury car at 140 mph is still a luxury car at 70mph after all."

Agree 100%.

Was there a luxury car market when cars could hardly even reach 70mph?

Was the car jot a luxury in the first place.

What might change however is the R&D focus will be different. So that may impact what trickles down to the mass market. After all the in innovation is usual found first in the luxury sector, again an example of the “rich” subsidising the rest

High performance “sports” cars will probably take a bit of a bashing though. A distinct sector albeit one where there is some overlap (in terms of speed at least).

Bexley

"

Because most of them are no effing use for carrying things like 8x4 boards. fence posts or paving slabs in!

Also you might not want to look like a bellend."

Talking of bellends...

I blame Top Gear for the way things have gone. Thanks to Clarkson and his fawning sidekicks the market has become skewed towards image, speed and egocentric drivers.

How well you can throw the thing sideways around a disused airfield became far more important than whether there is enough ground clearance to cope with farm tracks,floods and road humps. Agressive styling got admired and anything utilitarian got ridiculed.

My impression was that the programme was far more of a window for the motor industry than it was there to champion a broad spectrum of users.

Carefully thought out construction and use rules have been progressively bent in the name of styling. Indicators have become fitted inside the headlamp enclosure, rendering them almost useless. Spare wheels have been dropped and road wheels have become a fashion statement.

I follow things in traffic nowadays which are sets of giant wheel arches and light clusters with a body shell dwarfing its usable interior.

Am I glad that until recently I could easily buy a versatile passenger vehicle suitable for everyday domestic activities and with generous load space not made inaccessible by stingy and odd shaped tail gates dictated by pointless styling.

I got the feel of modern day priorities when I saw blingy alloy wheels becoming a top selling point in car adverts. Never mind that some clown decided that you won't need a spare and an aerosol will do the trick.

Motorists are only being taken for mugs because they have been successfully turned into mugs by the industry and its associated media.

"

Talking of bellends...

I blame Top Gear for the way things have gone. Thanks to Clarkson and his fawning sidekicks the market has become skewed towards image, speed and egocentric drivers.

How well you can throw the thing sideways around a disused airfield became far more important than whether there is enough ground clearance to cope with farm tracks,floods and road humps. Agressive styling got admired and anything utilitarian got ridiculed.

My impression was that the programme was far more of a window for the motor industry than it was there to champion a broad spectrum of users.

Carefully thought out construction and use rules have been progressively bent in the name of styling. Indicators have become fitted inside the headlamp enclosure, rendering them almost useless. Spare wheels have been dropped and road wheels have become a fashion statement.

I follow things in traffic nowadays which are sets of giant wheel arches and light clusters with a body shell dwarfing its usable interior.

Am I glad that until recently I could easily buy a versatile passenger vehicle suitable for everyday domestic activities and with generous load space not made inaccessible by stingy and odd shaped tail gates dictated by pointless styling.

I got the feel of modern day priorities when I saw blingy alloy wheels becoming a top selling point in car adverts. Never mind that some clown decided that you won't need a spare and an aerosol will do the trick.

Motorists are only being taken for mugs because they have been successfully turned into mugs by the industry and its associated media."

But you forgot about the Dacia Sondero!!!

Oh and the Skoda Roomster and Yeti are still on sale for those seeking more practical value.

Hitchin

Speed limiters you will be able to override them in case of emergency ie accelerate out of the way,so don't get over concerned,the reason spare wheels are a thing of the past is weight saving,modern cars are far heavier.

what’s up with the autobahn?

Colchester

"What’s up with the autobahn? "

I have actually driven on the autobahn. However I kept to UK speed limits. I didn't feel a desire or need to go faster, even though I was legally allowed to do so. I wanted to maintain fuel efficiency and also arrive calm and in one piece.

Bexley

"Speed limiters you will be able to override them in case of emergency ie accelerate out of the way,so don't get over concerned,the reason spare wheels are a thing of the past is weight saving,modern cars are far heavier."

Spare wheels are not a thing of the past with me. Many times over the years I would have been fkd without one and a decent jack and an extension wrench. I am a practical person and keep extra wheels at home in addition to good full sized spares on board my vehicles. Some are with winter tyres. I have four extra wheels for my MPV and two for my hatchback plus always a good spare on board each. Both my vehicles can take the weight of a spare in their stride and have the designed in space. Aerosol foam kit? I would walk away laughing from any dealer who tried to fob me off with that.

Jenny mentioned Skoda Roomsters and Yetis. They make an effort to be practical and serve a niche market but not my one.

"

Spare wheels are not a thing of the past with me. "

Same here, In the last 4 years we have bought three new cars and one camper, all of them had an aerosol repair kit. I told the dealer each time to fit a full size wheel in the wheel well, or I am not buying the car. Twice it's cost me £50 more.

One car is 4x4, so we have spare winter tyres for it.

I was really unlucky to get a nail in a brand-new tyre in a car with an aerosol kit. It didn't fix the tyre, and it also was trashed by the tyre repair centre because they said they won't fix one that has been filled with the foam.

By *otMe66Man  over a year ago

Terra Firma

"

Talking of bellends...

Motorists are only being taken for mugs because they have been successfully turned into mugs by the industry and its associated media."

Cars are a lifestyle choice, sold as a lifestyle choice, with so much choice there is probably a car for your lifestyle choice.

The tide is turning on this way of building and selling a car, it is coming through lifestyle, ironically. The future will remove the ownership of cars, the driving of cars and replace it with automated functional use, paid for when you need it, rather than it sitting in the road for 90% of the day. It is a long way off but it is coming.

By *ust RachelTV/TS  over a year ago

Eastbourne

"I say,

Doesn’t get its first MOT for three years. By then they will have sold it."

There will be a service before then.

If limiters are fitted, that will make the app speedcam anywhere a bit less appealing.

By *oolyCoolyCplCouple  over a year ago

Newcastle under Lyme

I think you'll find the global chip shortage is having a bigger impact than speed limiters ever will.

Anyways - Limiters or not . . .

CrashCube has already arrived in the UK and is already being used by the Police to find out who is to blame and prosecute drivers where they feel it is appropriate.

It has also caught a Killer too.

Hitchin

"

Spare wheels are not a thing of the past with me.

Same here, In the last 4 years we have bought three new cars and one camper, all of them had an aerosol repair kit. I told the dealer each time to fit a full size wheel in the wheel well, or I am not buying the car. Twice it's cost me £50 more.

One car is 4x4, so we have spare winter tyres for it.

I was really unlucky to get a nail in a brand-new tyre in a car with an aerosol kit. It didn't fix the tyre, and it also was trashed by the tyre repair centre because they said they won't fix one that has been filled with the foam. £ 50 You can't buy a tyre for that let alone the wheel.

"

Hitchin

BRITAIN will refuse to adopt new EU laws to shove speed limiters in all new cars.

Jacob Rees-Mogg insisted "I don't care what the EU does" and we shouldn't be afraid to forge our own path now we've finally left the EU.

By *ust RachelTV/TS  over a year ago

Eastbourne

"BRITAIN will refuse to adopt new EU laws to shove speed limiters in all new cars.

Jacob Rees-Mogg insisted "I don't care what the EU does" and we shouldn't be afraid to forge our own path now we've finally left the EU.

"

Lets wait and see.....

By *obletonMan  over a year ago

THE STICKS

"BRITAIN will refuse to adopt new EU laws to shove speed limiters in all new cars.

"

Considering how popular EU built cars are here in the UK it will be a case of us taking them out once they've arrived, and paying for the priviledge.

Or the manufacturers doing a special mod job in small production runs just for us - for a price of course.

Nice bit of bonus cash for the German car industry - we should see it as a thank you for them coming to Britain's rescue during the brexit negotiations

By *9alMan  over a year ago

Bridgend

I think the speed limit should be raised significantly, modern cars are much safer than 1960s cars with drum brakes & cross ply tyres, when the 70 limit was imposed . with the 70 limit there is little incentive to build light low drag cars & we all end up driving heavy 4x4

By *I TwoCouple  over a year ago

all around

"I think the speed limit should be raised significantly, modern cars are much safer than 1960s cars with drum brakes & cross ply tyres, when the 70 limit was imposed . with the 70 limit there is little incentive to build light low drag cars & we all end up driving heavy 4x4 "

Whilst the technical ability of cars to stop even on their own has increased dramatically,the ability to drive and more specifically the ability to read the road has gone the other way so no if disagree entirely with increasing limits

milton keynes

"

Although they don't have to implement it in the UK the cars built in the UK for sale in Europe will need to have them. As said further up this thread the minimum required is an audio warning that you are over the speed limit. Many new cars already tell you the speed limit so not a big change to implement.

By *9alMan  over a year ago

Bridgend

"I think the speed limit should be raised significantly, modern cars are much safer than 1960s cars with drum brakes & cross ply tyres, when the 70 limit was imposed . with the 70 limit there is little incentive to build light low drag cars & we all end up driving heavy 4x4

Whilst the technical ability of cars to stop even on their own has increased dramatically,the ability to drive and more specifically the ability to read the road has gone the other way so no if disagree entirely with increasing limits"

I would agree that driving standards are often poor but this is because modern cars are easy to drive & people get distracted by electronic gadgets if they drove faster they would have to concentrate 100% on the road ahead

Gilfach

Agreed.

I spent several years living in Germany and found that autobahn traffic invariably moved along at about 80-85mph. This is the speed at which there's enough happening to keep you involved in driving, but not so much that it starts to get tiring.

Of course if you set a speed limit at 85mph, everyone would do exactly that speed, the variety of traffic would be lost, and drivers would get bored again.

By *rFunBoyMan  over a year ago

Longridge

Anyway..

Faced with the horrendous scenes of human suffering that we’ve seen following Russia’s invasion of Ukraine, people in Europe want to take action,” said Fatih Birol, executive director of the IEA.

According to the IEA, who call on citizens to:

Drive more slowly on highways, with the car air conditioning turned down, to use less fuel.

Use the train instead of flying

Travel by public transport, walk, or cycle.

Heat their homes less in winter, and turn the air conditioning down in summer.

It also calls on cities to promote car-free Sundays, as some already do.

That's sure going to take 40% of our gas produced electricity away.

Do thet get paid to produce this crap? Which is the advice they are giving our government.

How far should thermostats be turned down?

By *agan_PairCouple  over a year ago

portchester

Guess I’ll just keep my fun cars and only buy a boring day to day car then … no need to worry about it then.. I’m looking forward to 2029 there’s going to be some bargains on V12s for sure

Hitchin

Considering how popular EU built cars are here in the UK it will be a case of us taking them out once they've arrived, and paying for the priviledge.

Or the manufacturers doing a special mod job in small production runs just for us - for a price of course.

Nice bit of bonus cash for the German car industry - we should see it as a thank you for them coming to Britain's rescue during the brexit negotiations"

Wont cost a penny the EU is so far the only ones adopting this, be simple either a switch to turn on or off leave out the module or the fuse, this has been coming for some time so the manufactures will already have implemented it .My Mercedes has it fitted and has a switch on the cruise control its big world out there cars are sold all over.

Nice bit of bonus cash for the German car industry - we should see it as a thank you for them coming to Britain's rescue during the brexit negotiations

Wont cost a penny the EU is so far the only ones adopting this, be simple either a switch to turn on or off leave out the module or the fuse, this has been coming for some time so the manufactures will already have implemented it .My Mercedes has it fitted and has a switch on the cruise control its big world out there cars are sold all over. "

By *aron_TentakuruMan  over a year ago

Exeter

"I say,

Assuming you're dim enough to present it for test with it still disconnected, if course.

Every cruise control in every car I ever had that has one has a speed limiter button.

It's also great for making sure you don't get a ticket in controlled motorway lanes and for long distance touring across France or continent.

"I say,

I guess that anyone with a single bit of enough intelligence to disconnect it will have enough intelligence to reconnect it immediately before the 1 time per year MOT test.

Bexley

"I say,

I guess that anyone with a single bit of enough intelligence to disconnect it will have enough intelligence to reconnect it immediately before the 1 time per year MOT test."

..and if you are caught speeding they will do you as well for tampering with it!

Just accept that it is a step towards more civilised road use.

Gilfach

You don't make someone more civilised by forcing them to comply.

By *ealthy_and_HungMan  over a year ago

Princes Risborough, Luasanne, Alderney

"I say,

Assuming you're dim enough to present it for test with it still disconnected, if course. "

unless you get plugged speeding in vehicle that is clearly meant to have a limiter fitted of course. a new car's telematics will grass you up automatically.

CrashCube is already here in the UK.

So forget the disconnecting this and that - as if anyone here could anyway - Just do the simple thing and don't go faster than the allowable limit.

near ipswich

"CrashCube is already here in the UK.

So forget the disconnecting this and that - as if anyone here could anyway - Just do the simple thing and don't go faster than the allowable limit.

"

Now there is a novel idea.

Now there is a novel idea. "

I did post this above - but it has also caught a murderer too.

Bexley

"You don't make someone more civilised by forcing them to comply."

I thought very carefully when I typed that. I was going to say 'civilised drivers' or 'driving' but realised it might raise hackles.

Becoming civilised is to do with society, not 'someone'. At the moment we have a long way to go. before we can truly call ourselves civilised.

Hitchin

As it looks like it won't be implemented in the UK it won't be part of the mot test,and as a road test is not part of the mot unless you have to do a brake test 4x4 as of now,you would need to have to plug it in and test if its fitted etc

Gilfach

"CrashCube is already here in the UK."

"I did post this above - but it has also caught a murderer too."

Could you give me a link to the murder-solving CrashCube story? I can't find anything.

By *irty_DeedsMan  over a year ago

Teesside

70mph speed limit is ridiculous for a decently maintained car. As are the stopping distances listed in the highway code.

I'd be more wary of someone driving the limit in a death trap of a banger that barely scraped through its mot 10 months ago than someone doing 100 on a well maintained "luxury" motor.

It'll only get worse if the proposed 2 year MOT'S are brought in too.

I did post this above - but it has also caught a murderer too.

Could you give me a link to the murder-solving CrashCube story? I can't find anything."

Type:

How your car's gadgets can be used to track your movements

into google.

"70mph speed limit is ridiculous for a decently maintained car. As are the stopping distances listed in the highway code.

I'd be more wary of someone driving the limit in a death trap of a banger that barely scraped through its mot 10 months ago than someone doing 100 on a well maintained "luxury" motor.

It'll only get worse if the proposed 2 year MOT'S are brought in too."

I'm surprised you didn't go on to mention German Autobahns....

Teesside

"70mph speed limit is ridiculous for a decently maintained car. As are the stopping distances listed in the highway code.

It'll only get worse if the proposed 2 year MOT'S are brought in too.

I'm surprised you didn't go on to mention German Autobahns...."

I've drove on the Autobahns multiple times and had no issues.

Do we still cling to outdated medical practices when technology advances? No, we move with the times. Clinging to laws set in the 70's when cars weren't as technologically advanced is just as ridiculous.

Bexley

"... Clinging to laws set in the 70's when cars weren't as technologically advanced is just as ridiculous."

How can you possibly compare present day conditions with a time when there was significantly less traffic on the roads?

If anything, lower speed limits are needed.

For over twenty years, if not longer, the stretch of the A2 between my part of Kent and London has been reduced to 50mph due to almost continuous bumper to bumper traffic combined with the far more sensible destination related lane system.

Teesside

"... Clinging to laws set in the 70's when cars weren't as technologically advanced is just as ridiculous.

How can you possibly compare present day conditions with a time when there was significantly less traffic on the roads?

For over twenty years, if not longer, the stretch of the A2 between my part of Kent and London has been reduced to 50mph due to almost continuous bumper to bumper traffic combined with the far more sensible destination related lane system."

As someone who does at least 60k miles a year throughout the country, a reduced speed limit would turn a 10 hour journey into maybe a 14 hour journey for me. If anything it would increase my risk.

Personally I'd like to see the limit raised for major Motorways. Before anyone else gets preachy. I've never received a speeding ticket ever or had any sort of accident.

"... Clinging to laws set in the 70's when cars weren't as technologically advanced is just as ridiculous.

For over twenty years, if not longer, the stretch of the A2 between my part of Kent and London has been reduced to 50mph due to almost continuous bumper to bumper traffic combined with the far more sensible destination related lane system."

Well if physical constrains like congestion prohibit the utility if higher speed limits then they are of no consequence. But where progress can be safely made should it not be allowed?

How about raising the limit to 90mph between 21:00 and 07:00 encourage people to use the motorways at night so they can have shorter journeys. That would in turn elevate some pressure during the day. Reducing the need to speed.

For me the key issue is productivity. Cutting a 4h journey to 3 by travelling quicker helps efficiency (business not fuel). With a move to AVs that would be removed as you could use travel time for something more useful than playing “bumper to bumper”.

Alternatively triple fuel coats and raise road tax that’ll cut down congestion and free up the fast lane without raising the speed limit.

Gilfach

"Could you give me a link to the murder-solving CrashCube story? I can't find anything."

"Type:

into google."

I did that and all I could find was the case of Wai Hong Tsang, who was convicted based on evidence from his satnav, nothing to do with CrashCube.

Can you give me a link, or some more details?

"Could you give me a link to the murder-solving CrashCube story? I can't find anything.

Type:

into google.

I did that and all I could find was the case of Wai Hong Tsang, who was convicted based on evidence from his satnav, nothing to do with CrashCube.

Can you give me a link, or some more details?"

Crash Cube (the technological device invented by DigiPol) was used to interrogate the satnav and gathered the information about his whereabouts, which in turn showed his alibi to be a lie.

You can also read another story there about the Porche and the Mercedes and about how the Porsche driver lied, and Crash Cube proved the Mercedes was stationary. Crash Cube was used in this case using the car/s ecu's.

» Add a new message to this topic