FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > Politics > Survey of EU Brits

Survey of EU Brits

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *ssex_tom OP   Man  over a year ago

Chelmsford

Reports that British residents in EU countries feel deeply ashamed to be British because of Brexit. How do you feel?

Reply privately (closed, thread got too big)

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

It's all over the EUs etc

By *idnight RamblerMan  over a year ago

Pershore

Well they could always take citizenship of their host country if they are so ashamed of the UK. But they never seem to do that do they?

By *r_GreyscaleMan  over a year ago

Village life

I feel embarrassed by Brexit and the way our country is run. I have friends in Belgium and Norway and when they ask me about it I feel pretty stupid trying to explain how it even happened

By *reeneggsandsamMan  over a year ago

Perpignan and cap

Indifferent, I moved to Europe to find a better quality of life and found it. Leave the politics for the politicians. I'd much rather be European than British.

By *dwalu2Couple  over a year ago

Bristol

Most decent British residents in Britain feel deeply ashamed to be British because of Brexit.

By *dwalu2Couple  over a year ago

Bristol

And everything else!

By *ong-leggedblondWoman  over a year ago

Next Door

If people are ashamed to be British then they need to become a citizen of another country!

I'm embarrassed by the way the leaders of our country, when about brexit.

By *RANDMRSJAECouple  over a year ago

chester

I couldn’t give a toot, it’s had no direct impact on me (yet). I’m not especially patriotic but still proud to be British.

Much as I hate Brexit and wasn’t in favour of it, Britain has done far more shameful things throughout history. Brexit was just another on a long list.

By *inkywife1981Couple  over a year ago

A town near you

"Much as I hate Brexit and wasn’t in favour of it, Britain has done far more shameful things throughout history. Brexit was just another on a long list. "

Most major European countries have a shameful past with regards colonialism and unjust wars and I think in most EU countries there is some kind of anti EU party so it's possible someday other countries may leave the EU as well!

By *pursChick aka ShortieWoman  over a year ago

On a mooch

Much more to be ashamed of than Brexit. The public voted and decision made.

If you don’t like the country, up sticks and move elsewhere.

By *AYENCouple  over a year ago

Lincolnshire

I'm neither proud nor ashamed to be British, it's something I have no control over.

K

By *he love catsCouple  over a year ago

South Wales

Ignoring politics, I love my country and think we are fortunate to be British.

Pershore

"I feel embarrassed by Brexit and the way our country is run. I have friends in Belgium and Norway and when they ask me about it I feel pretty stupid trying to explain how it even happened "

Well you could point out to them that the EU has morphed by stealth from a trade bloc into a superstate. Or why else would it need it's own president, parliament, flag, anthem, laws, courts, judges, overseas ambassadors..... If it looks like a dog and barks like a dog, it's probably a dog right?

"Much as I hate Brexit and wasn’t in favour of it, Britain has done far more shameful things throughout history. Brexit was just another on a long list.

Most major European countries have a shameful past with regards colonialism and unjust wars and I think in most EU countries there is some kind of anti EU party so it's possible someday other countries may leave the EU as well!"

True. Brits living in Europe won’t feel ashamed around others because of that history.

I don’t think too many countries will leave the EU any time soon though.

By *ouseofhoneyCouple  over a year ago

North West

"Well they could always take citizenship of their host country if they are so ashamed of the UK. But they never seem to do that do they?"

Residency and Citizenship are two very different things... most ex pats become residents.

Taking full Citizenship is usually quite a difficult and lengthy process.

A town near you

"Much as I hate Brexit and wasn’t in favour of it, Britain has done far more shameful things throughout history. Brexit was just another on a long list.

Most major European countries have a shameful past with regards colonialism and unjust wars and I think in most EU countries there is some kind of anti EU party so it's possible someday other countries may leave the EU as well!

True. Brits living in Europe won’t feel ashamed around others because of that history.

I don’t think too many countries will leave the EU any time soon though. "

Unlikely I know but no one expected brexit and if the French or Italians were given a referendum you just wouldn't know!

By *xhib12Man  over a year ago

Blyth

Why on earth should anybody feel ashamed? There was a democratic vote and the result of that vote was followed through. If you feel ashamed of that then are you ashamed of democracy?

I'm far more ashamed of the current batch of politicians we have on all sides of the house. Rather than get together and do their absolute best for the people of this country they are behaving like bickering schoolkids.

Lincolnshire

Moving away from Britain would suggest you're not happy here, so it sort of figures to be critical.

What doesn't make sense is those that move to Britain and then criticize it!

"Moving away from Britain would suggest you're not happy here, so it sort of figures to be critical.

"

Do you mean people from other countries that criticise it ?

By *UGGYBEAR2015Man  over a year ago

BRIDPORT

With or without Brexit, looking around the world at the alternatives, I have always felt fortunate to live in the country that I do.

By *inky_couple2020Couple  over a year ago

North West

I think it says everything that I've researched what it would take to reassume my Great Grandfather's Dutch nationality and that I've searched my Jewish ancestry (unsuccessfully) for evidence of a Sephardic ancestor. Spain will grant a passport to those directly related to those expelled in 1492. Alas, we are Ashkenazi only.

By *rwhowhatwherewhyMan  over a year ago

Aylesbury

"I feel embarrassed by Brexit and the way our country is run. I have friends in Belgium and Norway and when they ask me about it I feel pretty stupid trying to explain how it even happened

Well you could point out to them that the EU has morphed by stealth from a trade bloc into a superstate. Or why else would it need it's own president, parliament, flag, anthem, laws, courts, judges, overseas ambassadors..... If it looks like a dog and barks like a dog, it's probably a dog right?"

You say that like it's a bad thing. Countries have been joining together for centuries for far worse reasons that mutual self interest and protectionism.

It always amuses me that brexiteers want to "take back control", control we never really lost anyway due to our EU veto. We benefitted greatly from our special place in the EU as we recieved all of the protectionism while also being a back door for non-EU goods to enter into the bloc.

I feel the world (and particularly the UK) would be a much nicer place if there was more of a focus on what unites us than what divides us, but that's where we are unfortunately.

Oh and fuck this country, if I could get out then I would get out, but we arent all fortunate enough to be in the right financial situation to do this.

*climbs down from soapbox*

"I feel embarrassed by Brexit and the way our country is run. I have friends in Belgium and Norway and when they ask me about it I feel pretty stupid trying to explain how it even happened

Well you could point out to them that the EU has morphed by stealth from a trade bloc into a superstate. Or why else would it need it's own president, parliament, flag, anthem, laws, courts, judges, overseas ambassadors..... If it looks like a dog and barks like a dog, it's probably a dog right?

You say that like it's a bad thing. Countries have been joining together for centuries for far worse reasons that mutual self interest and protectionism.

It always amuses me that brexiteers want to "take back control", control we never really lost anyway due to our EU veto. We benefitted greatly from our special place in the EU as we recieved all of the protectionism while also being a back door for non-EU goods to enter into the bloc.

I feel the world (and particularly the UK) would be a much nicer place if there was more of a focus on what unites us than what divides us, but that's where we are unfortunately.

Oh and fuck this country, if I could get out then I would get out, but we arent all fortunate enough to be in the right financial situation to do this.

*climbs down from soapbox*"

Go grab one of the blow up boats down in Dover and paddle it back to France then!

Aylesbury

Go grab one of the blow up boats down in Dover and paddle it back to France then!"

I would would take the ferry but I had right to free movement stolen from me by far right cunts in Westminster acting on a mandate of 52% of people, all voting for different definitions of "leave". The referendum was god damn advisory and not confirmatory, no government had to act on it, but they chose to to serve their own self interest. Then you wonder why I'm bitter.

Pershore

*climbs down from soapbox*"

Yes, fair enough you could argue a federal Europe 'superstate' might be good, might be bad. But the point is, it happened by stealth - nobody was ever asked if we wanted effective rule from Brussels.

As for the 'fuck the UK' sentiment, all I can say as a former ex-pat working overseas is try living in another country for a while

By *avie65Man  over a year ago

In the west.

"Moving away from Britain would suggest you're not happy here, so it sort of figures to be critical.

"

Yip.

I don't understand either of those. Surely if you choose to live somewhere other that the country you originate from you have done it to become part of that society and to embrace it's government, laws, quirks etc.

I would prefer to be within the EU and be able to travel freely around it. Britain frustrates me at times but I never slag it off.

By *ebjonnsonMan  over a year ago

Maldon

Go grab one of the blow up boats down in Dover and paddle it back to France then!

I would would take the ferry but I had right to free movement stolen from me by far right cunts in Westminster acting on a mandate of 52% of people, all voting for different definitions of "leave". The referendum was god damn advisory and not confirmatory, no government had to act on it, but they chose to to serve their own self interest. Then you wonder why I'm bitter."

But there is nothing g stopping France, Spain, or any other Euro country giving us free 12 month visas. Nothing to stop the EU offering us EU passports - I know they don’t exist but what a way to recognise that circa 35 million Brits are pro Europe- that’s more than a dozen Eu states combined. Let’s say it was £500, I would buy one. Fantasy stuff I know but why not?

Amazing work Tom

Aylesbury

I would would take the ferry but I had right to free movement stolen from me by far right cunts in Westminster acting on a mandate of 52% of people, all voting for different definitions of "leave". The referendum was god damn advisory and not confirmatory, no government had to act on it, but they chose to to serve their own self interest. Then you wonder why I'm bitter.

But there is nothing g stopping France, Spain, or any other Euro country giving us free 12 month visas. Nothing to stop the EU offering us EU passports - I know they don’t exist but what a way to recognise that circa 35 million Brits are pro Europe- that’s more than a dozen Eu states combined. Let’s say it was £500, I would buy one. Fantasy stuff I know but why not? "

That's almost as insulting as the 6 month visas to foreign workers to plug the gaps caused by the end of free movement. Shockingly, hardly anybody in europe took those visas because why would you uproot and take yourself to another country to work when they can cancel your visa on whim once you have served their purpose.

A lot of brits that could claim dual citizenship with an EU member state did so, as it was very heavily pushed prior to our exit. But for a lot of people this just wasnt an option. And if they did have a system to provide EU passports to those who wanted to remain then they know as wellas I do that it would be heavily abused by those who wanted to leave but still wanted their nice sunny European holiday when it suits them.

Aylesbury

"Amazing work Tom "

So much for keeping politics out of the lounge

By *ormorantMan  over a year ago

Lincolnshire

"Amazing work Tom

So much for keeping politics out of the lounge "

You chose to join in.

Aylesbury

"Amazing work Tom

You chose to join in.

"

I have no issue with talking about politics anywhere or with anybody. Its other users that take issue with it.

By *ormorantMan  over a year ago

Lincolnshire

"Amazing work Tom

You chose to join in.

I have no issue with talking about politics anywhere or with anybody. Its other users that take issue with it."

I only saw you taking issue with where the discussion was taking olace. Not “ other users”

I’ve got quite strong views on this because brexit has had a negative impact on my life but can’t be arsed with the arguments.

Just like Britain in the EU, I am out.

^^ thinks this is dragons den

"^^ thinks this is dragons den "

Does this mean I have to be in?

By *phroditeWoman  over a year ago

(She/ her) in Sensualityland

"I’ve got quite strong views on this because brexit has had a negative impact on my life but can’t be arsed with the arguments.

Just like Britain in the EU, I am out. "

I completely understand that (for both sides of the argument) there is little to be gained from raising the issue again, unless there is a realistic prospect for change of the current situation, whether that is re-joining the EU possibly in a slightly different format or whatever else.

I have strong feelings about Brexit as it has impacted me (negatively) in so many ways.

But I do not want the old negative emotions relating to Brexit and people to resurface in me and my friends.

"I’ve got quite strong views on this because brexit has had a negative impact on my life but can’t be arsed with the arguments.

Just like Britain in the EU, I am out.

I completely understand that (for both sides of the argument) there is little to be gained from raising the issue again, unless there is a realistic prospect for change of the current situation, whether that is re-joining the EU possibly in a slightly different format or whatever else.

I have strong feelings about Brexit as it has impacted me (negatively) in so many ways.

But I do not want the old negative emotions relating to Brexit and people to resurface in me and my friends."

I voted against it but respect that the other side won. There’s no point complaining about it but I will have no sympathy for those that voted for it and are now worse off.

By *tephanjMan  over a year ago

Kettering

I'm all for Brexit just wish we had a government that could make it work. Boris and his bunch of party people are only good enough to oversee parties

"^^ thinks this is dragons den

Does this mean I have to be in? "

Oh no. You should definitely get out. But like the movie

Chelmsford

It's all over the news today tho

"^^ thinks this is dragons den

Does this mean I have to be in?

Oh no. You should definitely get out. But like the movie"

I’m not sure if I’m remembering the film right but I think that’s where they implant their consciousness into a young black persons body?

They might be disappointed with the results if they did that with me

By *ostafunMan  over a year ago

near ipswich

"Ignoring politics, I love my country and think we are fortunate to be British. "
Me too mate.

By *AFKA HovisMan  over a year ago

Sindon Swingdon Swindon

I couldn't even tell you what it means "to be British".

Is it where you are born? Or what your passport says?

Does it depend on how long you lived in Britain or at what age?

Or is it just a feeling?

"Reports that British residents in EU countries feel deeply ashamed to be British because of Brexit. How do you feel?"

Boris and this current government make me ashamed to be British, Brexit is bad but nothing compared with the shower of shit ‘running’ the country

By *ustintime69Man  over a year ago

Bristol

I love my country but unfortunately there’s a lot of cunts who live here and want to change it for the worse

"I couldn't even tell you what it means "to be British".

Or is it just a feeling?"

It is really good question and it is not a straight forward answer as some would argue it is about where you are born. This would mean that some of my kids are, while the others are not!

Some argue it is how long you have lived there - well, that is probably a part of it but not the whole picture as some people live here and do not even speak English.

Some say it is how you feel - I have friends, and also have this in my family where some feel British AND another nationality.

For me I feel European first and then my other nationalities, both of which I am proud.

"Reports that British residents in EU countries feel deeply ashamed to be British because of Brexit. How do you feel?

Boris and this current government make me ashamed to be British, Brexit is bad but nothing compared with the shower of shit ‘running’ the country "

If it is any consolation, when asking people abroad, they do not see Britain a sa country to be ashamed of. They do have views on Boris and his lack of integrity but they see that not as "British" but rather the lack of integrity of one man.

Chelmsford

I do wonder if feeling European is exclusionary ..

Or is it just a feeling?It is really good question and it is not a straight forward answer as some would argue it is about where you are born. This would mean that some of my kids are, while the others are not!

Some argue it is how long you have lived there - well, that is probably a part of it but not the whole picture as some people live here and do not even speak English.

Some say it is how you feel - I have friends, and also have this in my family where some feel British AND another nationality.

For me I feel European first and then my other nationalities, both of which I am proud."

"Well they could always take citizenship of their host country if they are so ashamed of the UK. But they never seem to do that do they?"

Do they not?

Can you perhaps share your figures with us please to back up your statement?

Sindon Swingdon Swindon

Or is it just a feeling?It is really good question and it is not a straight forward answer as some would argue it is about where you are born. This would mean that some of my kids are, while the others are not!

For me I feel European first and then my other nationalities, both of which I am proud."

I think you have managed to reply in my original post.

I think this was your post Tom

Which must make feeling British super exclusionary.

Would welcome your views on what makes one British...

Chelmsford

Fish and Chips

"Fish and Chips "

The dish created by the Portuguese. Very British.

"Fish and Chips "

I had fish and chips in Spain, it was delicious

Chelmsford

"Fish and Chips

I had fish and chips in Spain, it was delicious "

There are lots of expats living in Spain especially from Yorkshire. You can even get mushy peas out there

"Fish and Chips

There are lots of expats living in Spain especially from Yorkshire. You can even get mushy peas out there"

Chicken Tikka Masala is more British than fish and chips Tom.

Sindon Swingdon Swindon

"Fish and Chips "
a beautiful combination of home grown and foreign ingredients.

I like it.

"Fish and Chips

There are lots of expats living in Spain especially from Yorkshire. You can even get mushy peas out there"

Indeed,

Chelmsford

It always amazes Tom that there is so much racism and point scoring over the origins of good. Soon they will be accusing the Brits of Food Appropriation. The Best Chips in Spain are in the ex pat's fish and chip shops. Britain has exported it's best good to the world. There is a Harry Ramsden in Arabia for example.

Chelmsford

Food not Good

"It always amazes Tom that there is so much racism and point scoring over the origins of good. Soon they will be accusing the Brits of Food Appropriation. The Best Chips in Spain are in the ex pat's fish and chip shops. Britain has exported it's best good to the world. There is a Harry Ramsden in Arabia for example. "

Is it racist to state facts? Tom is very confused again today

Sindon Swingdon Swindon

"It always amazes Tom that there is so much racism and point scoring over the origins of good. Soon they will be accusing the Brits of Food Appropriation. The Best Chips in Spain are in the ex pat's fish and chip shops. Britain has exported it's best good to the world. There is a Harry Ramsden in Arabia for example. "
maybe it's worth expanding on why fish and chips makes you British.... I think it is a lovely metaphor for British. It embraces cultures rather than exclude them. We should do more of that.

I think you’ll find most of the world think British food is bland and boring. This is probably the reason we as a nation eat a lot more foreign dishes than most other countries.

"It always amazes Tom that there is so much racism and point scoring over the origins of good. Soon they will be accusing the Brits of Food Appropriation. The Best Chips in Spain are in the ex pat's fish and chip shops. Britain has exported it's best good to the world. There is a Harry Ramsden in Arabia for example.

I think you’ll find most of the world think British food is bland and boring. This is probably the reason we as a nation eat a lot more foreign dishes than most other countries."

True, You don’t find many ‘British food’ restaurants in other countries

"It always amazes Tom that there is so much racism and point scoring over the origins of good. Soon they will be accusing the Brits of Food Appropriation. The Best Chips in Spain are in the ex pat's fish and chip shops. Britain has exported it's best good to the world. There is a Harry Ramsden in Arabia for example.

I think you’ll find most of the world think British food is bland and boring. This is probably the reason we as a nation eat a lot more foreign dishes than most other countries.

True, You don’t find many ‘British food’ restaurants in other countries "

Only in holiday destinations. I’ve got a very multicultural family and other than a Sunday roast a lot of them don’t like English dishes.

"Reports that British residents in EU countries feel deeply ashamed to be British because of Brexit. How do you feel?"

Couldn’t give a shit what they feel, these same people probably don’t learn the language of the country they are living.

"Most decent British residents in Britain feel deeply ashamed to be British because of Brexit."

What BS that is.

"I couldn’t give a toot, it’s had no direct impact on me (yet). I’m not especially patriotic but still proud to be British. "

Well sad xx

"I couldn’t give a toot, it’s had no direct impact on me (yet). I’m not especially patriotic but still proud to be British.

Well sad xx"

Very sad

By *otlovefun42Couple  over a year ago

Costa Blanca Spain...

I'm resident in Germany and have a house in Spain.

I do not feel ashamed at all.

Probably not a majority but you would be surprised how many Germans wish they could do the same.

The Spanish are mostly indifferent.

By *otMe66Man  over a year ago

Terra Firma

Only in holiday destinations. I’ve got a very multicultural family and other than a Sunday roast a lot of them don’t like English dishes."

Any type of food cooked and seasoned badly is going to fail, whatever country it comes from.

English food, slow cooked meats that go into cottage or shepherds pie, ox cheek, with buttery mash, pies are numerous and we have some of the best in the world. Along with the usual suspects like fish and chips, which are done badly 9 times out of 10.

The British diet and restaurants changed dramatically during the 80's into the 90's that eventually pushed us into one of the best countries in the world to eat. The chefs, the restaurants are now world class, producing food that any country would be proud of. The biggest change in our food came from improvements in the service, back in the day you got a grunt and an attitude of if you don't like it.. The mainland European workforce, change the game and made eating out a joy rather than a chore.

Bringing all of this together took time and it will probably be dismantled over time too.

Costa Blanca Spain...

True, You don’t find many ‘British food’ restaurants in other countries "

Had a very nice meal at Jamie Oliver's in Budapest last year.

"Reports that British residents in EU countries feel deeply ashamed to be British because of Brexit. How do you feel?

Probably not a majority but you would be surprised how many Germans wish they could do the same.

The Spanish are mostly indifferent."

How many Germans want to ‘do the same ‘ ?

Only in holiday destinations. I’ve got a very multicultural family and other than a Sunday roast a lot of them don’t like English dishes.

Any type of food cooked and seasoned badly is going to fail, whatever country it comes from.

English food, slow cooked meats that go into cottage or shepherds pie, ox cheek, with buttery mash, pies are numerous and we have some of the best in the world. Along with the usual suspects like fish and chips, which are done badly 9 times out of 10.

The British diet and restaurants changed dramatically during the 80's into the 90's that eventually pushed us into one of the best countries in the world to eat. The chefs, the restaurants are now world class, producing food that any country would be proud of. The biggest change in our food came from improvements in the service, back in the day you got a grunt and an attitude of if you don't like it.. The mainland European workforce, change the game and made eating out a joy rather than a chore.

Bringing all of this together took time and it will probably be dismantled over time too. "

I agree 100% but most people coming to Britain or even trying British food abroad aren’t going to be eating it from the best chefs and restaurants.

On the flip side you can go to pretty average restaurants and street vendors abroad and find amazing local dishes.

Terra Firma

Bringing all of this together took time and it will probably be dismantled over time too.

I agree 100% but most people coming to Britain or even trying British food abroad aren’t going to be eating it from the best chefs and restaurants.

On the flip side you can go to pretty average restaurants and street vendors abroad and find amazing local dishes."

Thinking about what you said it has made me think, and I guess a lot rides where you live or visit in England or Britain. I'm lucky to have some great street vendors that sell food from all over the world, including British.

I do like trying local foods here and abroad, that is where I find all the flavour and foods you normally wouldn't even hear of.

Costa Blanca Spain...

I think you’ll find most of the world think British food is bland and boring. This is probably the reason we as a nation eat a lot more foreign dishes than most other countries."

You should try eating German.

Bratwurst, Currywurst, Sauerkraut, and that bloody horrible concoction they call Sauerbraten (overcooked beef in vinegar).

To be fair northern Europeans didn't have much to go on in the past and cooking developed around what was available.

The Dutch and Scandinavians have very limited cuisine unless you like a lot of fish (roll mop herring anyone?)

The further south you go then the better climate and much wider selection of produce made life and cooking so much easier.

The tables seem to be turning though and British cooks are highly rated these days.

On the flip side you can go to pretty average restaurants and street vendors abroad and find amazing local dishes.

Thinking about what you said it has made me think, and I guess a lot rides where you live or visit in England or Britain. I'm lucky to have some great street vendors that sell food from all over the world, including British.

I do like trying local foods here and abroad, that is where I find all the flavour and foods you normally wouldn't even hear of. "

Newcastle is a great city for food in general but most of that isn’t British food. I’m not saying there isn’t great food, I’m relaying what I’ve been told by people from other countries.

Costa Blanca Spain...

How many Germans want to ‘do the same ‘ ? "

Dunno. I tried to count them but there were far too many.

Dunno. I tried to count them but there were far too many."

Amazing, at least 100? Do they want to leave the EU or do they want to fuck it up and ‘do the same ‘ as the UK

Bratwurst, Currywurst, Sauerkraut, and that bloody horrible concoction they call Sauerbraten (overcooked beef in vinegar).

To be fair northern Europeans didn't have much to go on in the past and cooking developed around what was available.

The Dutch and Scandinavians have very limited cuisine unless you like a lot of fish (roll mop herring anyone?)

The further south you go then the better climate and much wider selection of produce made life and cooking so much easier.

The tables seem to be turning though and British cooks are highly rated these days.

"

Denmark (Copenhagen) have the 2 best restaurants in the world

Most major European countries have a shameful past with regards colonialism and unjust wars and I think in most EU countries there is some kind of anti EU party so it's possible someday other countries may leave the EU as well!"

what's with all this shameful Ness be British be proud nothing in the past is shameful its what's made who we are.

"Most decent British residents in Britain feel deeply ashamed to be British because of Brexit."
haha

Costa Blanca Spain...

Denmark (Copenhagen) have the 2 best restaurants in the world "

Serving Danish food or international?

Costa Blanca Spain...

Amazing, at least 100? Do they want to leave the EU or do they want to fuck it up and ‘do the same ‘ as the UK "

I had a calculator and ran out of digits.

Maldon

Serving Danish food or international?"

They both offer a magnificent sticky toffee pudding. Is that British?

I am not sure why this is a competition for who has the worst or best food. I use ingredients from all over the world and am not concerned about their "nationality.

My friends and family, by and large, celebrate all foods, British, German, French etc... and in particular fusion food which takes bits from different origins.

Also, just because you do not like ONE or two particular local food eg Sauerbraten (incidentally not overcooked but may have been on the particular occasion that it was tried and dismissed) that does not mean all, in this case German food is horrible.

I really love bringing different flavours, recipes etc together and celebrate that international feeling.

And that ranges from delicious British Bread and Butter Pudding to Pasta Vongole, Kaiserschmarrn, Chateaubriand and ...... you name it.

Amazing, at least 100? Do they want to leave the EU or do they want to fuck it up and ‘do the same ‘ as the UK

I had a calculator and ran out of digits. "

25??

They both offer a magnificent sticky toffee pudding. Is that British? "

Have you been? I am seriously jealous if you have

Maldon

Have you been? I am seriously jealous if you have "

Sadly not. My ‘fine dining’ days are over. Peasant food for me these days. Mind you, in most countries it’s the best option.

Costa Blanca Spain...

25?? "

For once you are correct.

Yes 25 digits wasn't enough

Costa Blanca Spain...

"I am not sure why this is a competition for who has the worst or best food. I use ingredients from all over the world and am not concerned about their "nationality.

My friends and family, by and large, celebrate all foods, British, German, French etc... and in particular fusion food which takes bits from different origins.

Also, just because you do not like ONE or two particular local food eg Sauerbraten (incidentally not overcooked but may have been on the particular occasion that it was tried and dismissed) that does not mean all, in this case German food is horrible.

I really love bringing different flavours, recipes etc together and celebrate that international feeling.

And that ranges from delicious British Bread and Butter Pudding to Pasta Vongole, Kaiserschmarrn, Chateaubriand and ...... you name it. "

Fully agree with you but someone has to take on the let's knock Britain mob on here.

Still don't like sauerbraten though.

25??

Yes 25 digits wasn't enough "

Ha, Germany won’t be doing ‘the same as us’ anytime soon, they are far to intelligent, that is probably why you live there and not in the UK

Sadly not. My ‘fine dining’ days are over. Peasant food for me these days. Mind you, in most countries it’s the best option."

True, fine dining is great but you often pay the price for the presentation

By *heBirminghamWeekendMan  over a year ago

here

Sadly not. My ‘fine dining’ days are over. Peasant food for me these days. Mind you, in most countries it’s the best option.

True, fine dining is great but you often pay the price for the presentation "

… and will end up down the chippy afterwards as all you will have had to eat is a sparrows knee cap on a bed of cress stalks infused with fresh air

… and will end up down the chippy afterwards as all you will have had to eat is a sparrows knee cap on a bed of cress stalks infused with fresh air "

Yep, the presentation,

Costa Blanca Spain...

25??

Ha, Germany won’t be doing ‘the same as us’ anytime soon, they are far to intelligent, that is probably why you live there and not in the UK "

You have no idea why (or even when) I left Britain so don't pretend to. But it wasn't for the food.

No Germany probably won't leave the EU anytime soon. But the natives are restless and the grumbling is getting louder. Long term I wouldn't rule anything out, and not only in Germany

By *ovebjsMan  over a year ago

Bristol

Costa Blanca Spain...

… and will end up down the chippy afterwards as all you will have had to eat is a sparrows knee cap on a bed of cress stalks infused with fresh air

Yep, the presentation, "

So that is what happened to all the Sparrows. Learn something new every day.

Chelmsford

These people running down the nation of their birth are a peculiar bunch

25??

Ha, Germany won’t be doing ‘the same as us’ anytime soon, they are far to intelligent, that is probably why you live there and not in the UK

You have no idea why (or even when) I left Britain so don't pretend to. But it wasn't for the food.

No Germany probably won't leave the EU anytime soon. But the natives are restless and the grumbling is getting louder. Long term I wouldn't rule anything out, and not only in Germany"

I don’t care when or why you left the UK, but it is obviously far better where you are, fair play to you

"These people running down the nation of their birth are a peculiar bunch "

Who is doing that Tom?

Terra Firma

Yep, the presentation, "

The presentation goes deep! When they claim to have extracted the maximum flavour from a 5p carrot and charge you £28 as a starter. That is what I call a presentation

Yep, the presentation,

The presentation goes deep! When they claim to have extracted the maximum flavour from a 5p carrot and charge you £28 as a starter. That is what I call a presentation "

Ha, that’s true, there is a lot of smoke and mirrors abs empowers new clothing but the best food I have ever eaten is at fine dining restaurants

Sindon Swingdon Swindon

"These people running down the nation of their birth are a peculiar bunch "
is that what British means?

Thanks for the clarification.

Anyone else want to advance on this ? Maybe a definition that makes the PM British ?

Chelmsford

Well these self defecating Brits are just being pessimests.

By *armandwet50Couple  over a year ago

Manchester

Are you now saying only the decent people of UK voted remain and all the "non decent" voted leave?

By *ackal1Couple  over a year ago

Manchester

I don’t feel ashamed to be British

I’m embarrassed by the stupidity of Brexit and ashamed we have the politicians we do especially the cabinet full of incompetent right wing sycophants to the autocracy cause.

"Well these self defecating Brits are just being pessimests. "

Self shitting ?

"Well these self defecating Brits are just being pessimests. "

Wait? Are you telling me after 34 years in good old Blighty I didn’t know I could get someone else to shit for me?

Terra Firma

"These people running down the nation of their birth are a peculiar bunch is that what British means?

Anyone else want to advance on this ? Maybe a definition that makes the PM British ? "

I would like to know if the Scottish and Welsh refer to themselves as being British or by the country.

I always state I'm English, if asked, but I always say I'm from the UK and never England or Britain.

When I was younger I always referred to myself as English and from England, I wonder why this has changed? Was it because we were the UK in the EU and that stuck?

"Well these self defecating Brits are just being pessimests.

Wait? Are you telling me after 34 years in good old Blighty I didn’t know I could get someone else to shit for me?"

Apparently, and the people that didn’t are pessimests (whatever that is )

By *pursChick aka ShortieWoman  over a year ago

On a mooch

"These people running down the nation of their birth are a peculiar bunch is that what British means?

Anyone else want to advance on this ? Maybe a definition that makes the PM British ?

I would like to know if the Scottish and Welsh refer to themselves as being British or by the country.

I always state I'm English, if asked, but I always say I'm from the UK and never England or Britain.

When I was younger I always referred to myself as English and from England, I wonder why this has changed? Was it because we were the UK in the EU and that stuck? "

I class myself as British as have all four countries in my blood. However, the Welsh, Scottish and northern Irish in the family will say they are their respective countries rather than British.

By *itzi999Woman  over a year ago

Slough

I voted Brexit and frankly couldn’t give a **** what others think. The people voted for it. As stated, if they feel so ashamed, why don’t they get another nationality???

Lincolnshire

People love to moan about politicians but hate to get up off their arse and become one themselves - a bit like armchair referees.

"I am not sure why this is a competition for who has the worst or best food. I use ingredients from all over the world and am not concerned about their "nationality.

And that ranges from delicious British Bread and Butter Pudding to Pasta Vongole, Kaiserschmarrn, Chateaubriand and ...... you name it.

Fully agree with you but someone has to take on the let's knock Britain mob on here.

Still don't like sauerbraten though. "

I voted Brexit and frankly couldn’t give a **** what others think. The people voted for it. As stated, if they feel so ashamed, why don’t they get another nationality??? "

Tbh, I don’t think they give a shit what you think either

By *I TwoCouple  over a year ago

all around

Brexit is like Santa, you have to be a blind believer

Maldon

I voted Brexit and frankly couldn’t give a **** what others think. The people voted for it. As stated, if they feel so ashamed, why don’t they get another nationality??? "

Why did you vote for Brexit?

I voted Brexit and frankly couldn’t give a **** what others think. The people voted for it. As stated, if they feel so ashamed, why don’t they get another nationality???

Why did you vote for Brexit? "

Probably to annoy ‘lefties’ and the ‘woke’

Sindon Swingdon Swindon

"Most decent British residents in Britain feel deeply ashamed to be British because of Brexit.

Are you now saying only the decent people of UK voted remain and all the "non decent" voted leave?"

52pc of decent British residents voted to remain

I have no idea what percentage of residents are decent.

By *ackal1Couple  over a year ago

Manchester

"People love to moan about politicians but hate to get up off their arse and become one themselves - a bit like armchair referees. "

Because the pay is crap which is why it attracts such incompetent twats.

I believe pay them a proper wage but get rid of the expenses nonsense and replace with a sensible system and definitely no parachuting.

Chelmsford

This is about the story of Britain's being ashamed of being British. It was all over the news this morning. Not Remainder v Leaverers.

Think before you post people's.

Terra Firma

"This is about the story of Britain's being ashamed of being British. It was all over the news this morning. Not Remainder v Leaverers.

Think before you post people's."

Ah, thinking before you post? You did say " feel deeply ashamed to be British because of Brexit. How do you feel?"

"This is about the story of Britain's being ashamed of being British. It was all over the news this morning. Not Remainder v Leaverers.

Think before you post people's."

That is a good point Tom, you wrote the OP, what do you think? Are they right to be ashamed?

Ah, thinking before you post? You did say " feel deeply ashamed to be British because of Brexit. How do you feel?"

"

It depends if you are a leverer or a Reindeer?

Terra Firma

[Removed by poster at 04/05/22 17:17:02]

Terra Firma

It depends if you are a leverer or a Reindeer? "

Chelmsford

That is a good point Tom, you wrote the OP, what do you think? Are they right to be ashamed? "

It's a shame if anybody is shamed or ashamed.. That's democracy for you.

That is a good point Tom, you wrote the OP, what do you think? Are they right to be ashamed?

It's a shame if anybody is shamed or ashamed.. That's democracy for you."

Democracy means you can be ashamed or not ashamed , are you ashamed Tom?

Chelmsford

Democracy means you can be ashamed or not ashamed , are you ashamed Tom? "

Tom has no shame

Democracy means you can be ashamed or not ashamed , are you ashamed Tom?

Tom has no shame "

Obviously

By *itzi999Woman  over a year ago

Slough

Why did you vote for Brexit? "

Firstly, the idea of the “EU” was devised by Adolf Hitler, where Germany would rule the EU and control each of the member states. Lo and behold, Britain and all member states lost their right to make their own laws, the right to govern themselves, the right to choose who to let into the country and the right to govern their own finances and more. The majority of EU funding came from Britain, France and Germany…..just a few reasons why I voted Brexit.

By *I TwoCouple  over a year ago

all around

Firstly, the idea of the “EU” was devised by Adolf Hitler, where Germany would rule the EU and control each of the member states. Lo and behold, Britain and all member states lost their right to make their own laws, the right to govern themselves, the right to choose who to let into the country and the right to govern their own finances and more. The majority of EU funding came from Britain, France and Germany…..just a few reasons why I voted Brexit. "

I'm Afraid you were conned

Maldon

Because of Adolf Hitler???

Firstly, the idea of the “EU” was devised by Adolf Hitler, where Germany would rule the EU and control each of the member states. Lo and behold, Britain and all member states lost their right to make their own laws, the right to govern themselves, the right to choose who to let into the country and the right to govern their own finances and more. The majority of EU funding came from Britain, France and Germany…..just a few reasons why I voted Brexit. "

Sindon Swingdon Swindon

not sure if this translated correctly from German. Google didn't think the original quote was actuall Deutsche...

"We must build a kind of United States of Europe"

Firstly, the idea of the “EU” was devised by Adolf Hitler, where Germany would rule the EU and control each of the member states. Lo and behold, Britain and all member states lost their right to make their own laws, the right to govern themselves, the right to choose who to let into the country and the right to govern their own finances and more. The majority of EU funding came from Britain, France and Germany…..just a few reasons why I voted Brexit. not sure if this translated correctly from German. Google didn't think the original quote was actuall Deutsche...

"We must build a kind of United States of Europe""

Wasn’t it Churchill that wanted that?

Sindon Swingdon Swindon

Firstly, the idea of the “EU” was devised by Adolf Hitler, where Germany would rule the EU and control each of the member states. Lo and behold, Britain and all member states lost their right to make their own laws, the right to govern themselves, the right to choose who to let into the country and the right to govern their own finances and more. The majority of EU funding came from Britain, France and Germany…..just a few reasons why I voted Brexit. not sure if this translated correctly from German. Google didn't think the original quote was actuall Deutsche...

Wasn’t it Churchill that wanted that?"

that's my joke ruined in one comment.

A town near you

From a "EUropean" looking in.

Britain is still ab attractive destination for Irish people and judging by the number of people from all over the world who call it home they must like it to!

I imagine the spiralling cost of living in UK cities (accommodation) is off putting for most economic migrants.

In Ireland we have a labour shortage as lots of polish left as the rising costs and availability of accommodation here didn't make it viable anymore for them

Wasn’t it Churchill that wanted that?that's my joke ruined in one comment. "

Sorry.

By *irldnCouple  over a year ago

Brighton

Comedy Gold

Just look at all those sovereign decisions made by member states during Covid and now with war with Ukraine.

What Brexiters never admit is the laws, rules and regulations which did apply to the UK were actually written with UK involvement. Nobody “did it to us” it was “done with us”.

The UK had the most privileged position in the EU being outside of Schengen and not using the Euro. We had a veto. And massive influence as the 2nd biggest economy and 1st most powerful military.

The reasons cited by Leave for why we could negotiate on the world stage were actually the same reasons why we held such power in the EU but Leave convinced the gullible that the poor little UK was being bullied by the big bad EU!

By *ohnnyTwoNotesMan  over a year ago

golden fields

Lolz!

And people wonder why the UK is so fucked. Lol.

Amazing.

North West

And we wonder why we're up Shit Creek

golden fields

Firstly, the idea of the “EU” was devised by Adolf Hitler, where Germany would rule the EU and control each of the member states. Lo and behold, Britain and all member states lost their right to make their own laws, the right to govern themselves, the right to choose who to let into the country and the right to govern their own finances and more. The majority of EU funding came from Britain, France and Germany…..just a few reasons why I voted Brexit.

Comedy Gold

Just look at all those sovereign decisions made by member states during Covid and now with war with Ukraine.

What Brexiters never admit is the laws, rules and regulations which did apply to the UK were actually written with UK involvement. Nobody “did it to us” it was “done with us”.

The UK had the most privileged position in the EU being outside of Schengen and not using the Euro. We had a veto. And massive influence as the 2nd biggest economy and 1st most powerful military.

The reasons cited by Leave for why we could negotiate on the world stage were actually the same reasons why we held such power in the EU but Leave convinced the gullible that the poor little UK was being bullied by the big bad EU! "

You can't use logic to reason with someone who didn't use logic to arrive at their own bizarre point of view.

Imagine believing this,

Chelmsford

And the majority decided.. not the minority

Chelmsford

Brown and Bliar have so much to answer for...

And we wonder why we're up Shit Creek "

Haha, I am hoping this is a wind up, otherwise with this level of delusion we are definitely fucked

Sindon Swingdon Swindon

"And the majority of people who bothered to vote decided.. not the minority "

FTFY to prempt the normal reply.

golden fields

"And the majority decided.. not the minority "

A minority of British people were fooled by lies by illegally funded campaigns that undermined democracy and they voted leave.

More people didn't vote, or voted remain, than voted leave. Hence not a majority.

"Brown and Bliar have so much to answer for..."

I thought it was Obamas fault , did you vote to leave Tom, or can’t you remember ?

North West

Haha, I am hoping this is a wind up, otherwise with this level of delusion we are definitely fucked "

Oh. We're definitely fucked. The back doors have been well and truly smashed in and we're over the proverbial barrel...

Chelmsford

Haha, I am hoping this is a wind up, otherwise with this level of delusion we are definitely fucked "

Well it won't change but to be fair...the sun will rise tomorrow...

Why worry ?

golden fields

Brexit is a good idea, Trump was a good idea, Plandemic, Hitler Started the EU, the vaccine has nanobots, aliens built the pyramids.

We're living in an age where people believe any bollocks they're told.

Haha, I am hoping this is a wind up, otherwise with this level of delusion we are definitely fucked

Why worry ?"

I am not worried Tom, I am in a very fortunate position, once the economy tanks I will make a lot of money

golden fields

Why worry ?"

People would vote for the sun not to rise if it was written on the side of a bus.

Brexit is a good idea, Trump was a good idea, Plandemic, Hitler Started the EU, the vaccine has nanobots, aliens built the pyramids.

We're living in an age where people believe any bollocks they're told."

Tbh, the levels of stupidity in Britain is truly shocking, no wonder the Tories don’t like to invest in education ,

Chelmsford

Why worry ?

I am not worried Tom, I am in a very fortunate position, once the economy tanks I will make a lot of money "

So Brexit was a good thing for you.. Happy Days...

Oh. We're definitely fucked. The back doors have been well and truly smashed in and we're over the proverbial barrel..."

I am a little bit more optimistic, I think it is just a ‘phase’ we are going through, the age of the stupid hopefully won’t last forever

golden fields

We're living in an age where people believe any bollocks they're told.

Tbh, the levels of stupidity in Britain is truly shocking, no wonder the Tories don’t like to invest in education ,"

Keeping the population compliant is a top priority.

Why worry ?

I am not worried Tom, I am in a very fortunate position, once the economy tanks I will make a lot of money

So Brexit was a good thing for you.. Happy Days... "

Financially? yes, it could be, At your age I would be more worried

Chelmsford

Why worry ?

Financially? yes, it could be, At your age I would be more worried "

And that would be because...?

Why worry ?

And that would be because...?"

Work it out Tom, Brexit Britain is no place for an old person,

We're living in an age where people believe any bollocks they're told."

The education system has failed them.

The welfare state has allowed the stupid to multiply rather than be culled in mines, factories and wars.

The advances of social media has made every cunt with a keyboard an export and pundit with a ‘following’.

And then there’s the spin and continual PsyOps campaigns that are designed to cause discontent, division and ideological tribalism. All distraction. Not a clever conspiracy, simply the smart who have the means taking advantage of the stupid and clueless. Been that way for a long time. It is just that the speed, depth and scale of manipulation have all increased with technology.

And some even get paid to help make it happen. Like shooting fish in a barrel.

Chelmsford

Why worry ?

Work it out Tom, Brexit Britain is no place for an old person, "

Not sure if that is an ageist post, not sure if age is a protected characteristic, hope you will give a full account of your rationale behind your comment.. and some blame the old for Brexit.. Pray Tell.. but before you do .. please be assured that old age will come to you if you live long enough..

More years to be bitter about Brexit eh? It could eat away for decades..

Chelmsford

PS. I wish you a long long life

Why worry ?

Not sure if that is an ageist post, not sure if age is a protected characteristic, hope you will give a full account of your rationale behind your comment.. and some blame the old for Brexit.. Pray Tell.. but before you do .. please be assured that old age will come to you if you live long enough..

More years to be bitter about Brexit eh? It could eat away for decades.. "

I am not bitter, Brexit will be financially beneficial. Open your eyes Tom, have a look at the world around you, I am not being ageist but your working life is behind you, Brexit Britain is all about a high skilled high wage economy . You will find it difficult and expensive to find old age care, nobody will want those jobs anymore, but never mind, the sun will shine and tomorrow will be another day

By *oxychick35Couple  over a year ago

thornaby

I feel deeply ashamed by them brits lol

Chelmsford

Why worry ?

I am not bitter, Brexit will be financially beneficial. Open your eyes Tom, have a look at the world around you, I am not being ageist but your working life is behind you, Brexit Britain is all about a high skilled high wage economy . You will find it difficult and expensive to find old age care, nobody will want those jobs anymore, but never mind, the sun will shine and tomorrow will be another day "

Paraphrase.. I am old and you hope that I can not afford care in my old age.. and you are happy and poke fun at that ... And all because of Brexit...

Wow

Why worry ?

I am not bitter, Brexit will be financially beneficial. Open your eyes Tom, have a look at the world around you, I am not being ageist but your working life is behind you, Brexit Britain is all about a high skilled high wage economy . You will find it difficult and expensive to find old age care, nobody will want those jobs anymore, but never mind, the sun will shine and tomorrow will be another day

Paraphrase.. I am old and you hope that I can not afford care in my old age.. and you are happy and poke fun at that ... And all because of Brexit...

Wow

"

Quite appalling really.

Why worry ?

Wow

"

Where did I say that Tom? Your getting confused again the care industry is struggling to find staff, Brexit Britain doesn’t want cheap foreign labour and the British workers don’t want that type of work. You can’t deny that your working life is coming to an end? This is a fact, you need to plan for your future, there can’t be any drains on the economy in Brexit Britain , but don’t worry, tomorrow is another day

Chelmsford

Why worry ?

Wow

Quite appalling really. "

Tom thinks so but then again he is old and frail, not worthy of a vote and the sooner he cannot be afforded social care then the better.. and all because of Brexit..

Why worry ?

I am not bitter, Brexit will be financially beneficial. Open your eyes Tom, have a look at the world around you, I am not being ageist but your working life is behind you, Brexit Britain is all about a high skilled high wage economy . You will find it difficult and expensive to find old age care, nobody will want those jobs anymore, but never mind, the sun will shine and tomorrow will be another day "

“Will” or “might”?

How come not “has”? Brexit has been done a while. Been plenty of scope to coin it. What’s holding up you grand plan?

Why worry ?

Wow

Quite appalling really. "

Your completely missing my point, I don’t want this to happen to anyone , I have parents the same age, the future for them scares me,

By *ulaMan  over a year ago

Hitchin

"I think it says everything that I've researched what it would take to reassume my Great Grandfather's Dutch nationality and that I've searched my Jewish ancestry (unsuccessfully) for evidence of a Sephardic ancestor. Spain will grant a passport to those directly related to those expelled in 1492. Alas, we are Ashkenazi only."

Go down to Kent as they get out the dinghy you get in and go back, that's how it works i think ?

Why worry ?

“Will” or “might”?

How come not “has”? Brexit has been done a while. Been plenty of scope to coin it. What’s holding up you grand plan? "

Just waiting for property prices to crash,

Chelmsford

Why worry ?

Wow

Where did I say that Tom? Your getting confused again the care industry is struggling to find staff, Brexit Britain doesn’t want cheap foreign labour and the British workers don’t want that type of work. You can’t deny that your working life is coming to an end? This is a fact, you need to plan for your future, there can’t be any drains on the economy in Brexit Britain , but don’t worry, tomorrow is another day "

Getting confused again...another reference to old age it seems..