FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > Politics > Why do SNP keep winning?

Why do SNP keep winning?

Jump to: Newest in thread

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

Their record on all the important stuff is abysmal..education..nhs..policing..economy..drugs to name a few..and yet they keep getting all the majority votes in local and national elections. Curious as to why?

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *oo hotCouple  over a year ago

North West

Really?

What do you think the SNP stand for? What do they want and where is their ultimate destination? Anyone who wants an independent Scotland aligns themselves with the SNP (and now Greens).

Post-independence, the SNP may well cease to exist as conventional political parties will vie with each other to map out policies to carry Scotland forwards.

It's pretty obvious really. Assuming that Scotland will be a one-party state post-independence is a bit naive.

"Really?

What do you think the SNP stand for? What do they want and where is their ultimate destination? Anyone who wants an independent Scotland aligns themselves with the SNP (and now Greens).

Post-independence, the SNP may well cease to exist as conventional political parties will vie with each other to map out policies to carry Scotland forwards.

It's pretty obvious really. Assuming that Scotland will be a one-party state post-independence is a bit naive."

If your theory is correct..then surely they would have won independence already given the landslide wins theyve had in elections.

So people are just using them as a vehicle to try and get to independence..and accept the fact in the meantime theyre doing huge damage to the country with their incompetence? Pretty bleak approach if thats correct.

By *oo hotCouple  over a year ago

North West

"Really?

It's pretty obvious really. Assuming that Scotland will be a one-party state post-independence is a bit naive.

If your theory is correct..then surely they would have won independence already given the landslide wins theyve had in elections.

So people are just using them as a vehicle to try and get to independence..and accept the fact in the meantime theyre doing huge damage to the country with their incompetence? Pretty bleak approach if thats correct. "

Are the SNP doing more harm to Scottish people than the Conservative Government in Westminster is doing to Scottish people?

"Really?

So people are just using them as a vehicle to try and get to independence..and accept the fact in the meantime theyre doing huge damage to the country with their incompetence? Pretty bleak approach if thats correct.

Are the SNP doing more harm to Scottish people than the Conservative Government in Westminster is doing to Scottish people?

"

Yes id say so..given they have many powers devolved..but even if you disagree with that..the conservative government doesnt blame SNP for all the failings..which is what SNP does when it comes to their failings. Even though of the things they do control...health education etc..theyre making a right royal mess of it. Personally id have neither..as both as bad as each other! Not sure i can name one good thing/policy the SNP have delivered in all the time in Government!

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

"Really?

Yes id say so..given they have many powers devolved..but even if you disagree with that..the conservative government doesnt blame SNP for all the failings..which is what SNP does when it comes to their failings. Even though of the things they do control...health education etc..theyre making a right royal mess of it. Personally id have neither..as both as bad as each other! Not sure i can name one good thing/policy the SNP have delivered in all the time in Government!"

I take it you don't like the SNP.

"Really?

Yes id say so..given they have many powers devolved..but even if you disagree with that..the conservative government doesnt blame SNP for all the failings..which is what SNP does when it comes to their failings. Even though of the things they do control...health education etc..theyre making a right royal mess of it. Personally id have neither..as both as bad as each other! Not sure i can name one good thing/policy the SNP have delivered in all the time in Government!

I take it you don't like the SNP. "

Haha.mJust dont see why their popularity remains high so was curious to find out why from people! Most other reputable failing organisations or institutions make changes or are held accountable for their records.

Dont get me started on wee Jimmy Krankie aka Nicola though haha

Tell me a party in any country that pleases everyone, or even the majority. Its like a large family, you can never please everyone. Now how do you do that with millions of folks.

You do realise that if it wasn't for proportional representation, their majority would be even larger.

"Tell me a party in any country that pleases everyone, or even the majority. Its like a large family, you can never please everyone. Now how do you do that with millions of folks.

You do realise that if it wasn't for proportional representation, their majority would be even larger."

I do realise that..thats my point...why! Haha. Theyre not doing anything well..is it just a case of theyre the least worst jobby in the potty?

By *apden75Man  over a year ago

dundee

"Tell me a party in any country that pleases everyone, or even the majority. Its like a large family, you can never please everyone. Now how do you do that with millions of folks.

You do realise that if it wasn't for proportional representation, their majority would be even larger.

I do realise that..thats my point...why! Haha. Theyre not doing anything well..is it just a case of theyre the least worst jobby in the potty? "

why do the SNP keep winning when they do so much wrong?the same reason Torres are in power down south I guess

Or the reality is most people don’t get their newspaper from BBC / daily mail headlines

And the jimmy krankie insults are school ground behaviour , so any point you make after is diminished

By *bernathCouple  over a year ago

Gloucestershire

"Their record on all the important stuff is abysmal..education..nhs..policing..economy..drugs to name a few..and yet they keep getting all the majority votes in local and national elections. Curious as to why? "

Promise freedom, and you will always win, look at the Brexit

By *lixerMan  over a year ago

Glasgow

They will stay in power until we destroy Westminster and the UK. Freedom for England.

Gloucestershire

"They will stay in power until we destroy Westminster and the UK. Freedom for England. "

Well field candidates south of the border let’s see what happens

By *vbride1963TV/TS  over a year ago

E.K . Glasgow

"Really?

Yes id say so..given they have many powers devolved..but even if you disagree with that..the conservative government doesnt blame SNP for all the failings..which is what SNP does when it comes to their failings. Even though of the things they do control...health education etc..theyre making a right royal mess of it. Personally id have neither..as both as bad as each other! Not sure i can name one good thing/policy the SNP have delivered in all the time in Government!"

Not an SNP supporter though free prescriptions , no university fees for lots of students , slight tax rate changes to suit lower earners higher tax for high earners , some extra benefits ( £20 not researched that just something in back of my mind ) so four things I can think of against their time in office is that good value for Scotland ? I’m sure someone can now find more failings with them like the Ferguson ship contract costing ( us ) a fortune and the Alex Salmond court fiasco .

Gloucestershire

"Really?

Not an SNP supporter though free prescriptions , no university fees for lots of students , slight tax rate changes to suit lower earners higher tax for high earners , some extra benefits ( £20 not researched that just something in back of my mind ) so four things I can think of against their time in office is that good value for Scotland ? I’m sure someone can now find more failings with them like the Ferguson ship contract costing ( us ) a fortune and the Alex Salmond court fiasco . "

And who pays for those wonderful benefits, the rest of the UK!

We subsidise that.

By *vbride1963TV/TS  over a year ago

E.K . Glasgow

"Really?

Not an SNP supporter though free prescriptions , no university fees for lots of students , slight tax rate changes to suit lower earners higher tax for high earners , some extra benefits ( £20 not researched that just something in back of my mind ) so four things I can think of against their time in office is that good value for Scotland ? I’m sure someone can now find more failings with them like the Ferguson ship contract costing ( us ) a fortune and the Alex Salmond court fiasco .

We subsidise that."

As stated not an SNP supporter don’t want independence either but don’t you think the north of uk gave our fair share to the uk for years with poor returns ?

( pretty sure Cumbria and Northumberland would have wanted better high speed rail links etc and improved infrastructure )

I do realise that..thats my point...why! Haha. Theyre not doing anything well..is it just a case of theyre the least worst jobby in the potty?

why do the SNP keep winning when they do so much wrong?the same reason Torres are in power down south I guess

Or the reality is most people don’t get their newspaper from BBC / daily mail headlines

And the jimmy krankie insults are school ground behaviour , so any point you make after is diminished

."

As was your point when you stated Torres was in power down south. Fernando?

Not a BBC viewer or a daily mail reader FYI. Just judge based on facts and form my own opinions. Which im entitled to. And as for Jimmy Krankie...i genuinely think they look alike!

By *ixi n DogCouple  over a year ago

Pembrokeshire

They keep winning because the unionist voters are split between the other parties.

"They keep winning because the unionist voters are split between the other parties."

Do you think they will unite at a referendum again then and so be a majority?

By *ealthy_and_HungMan  over a year ago

Princes Risborough, Luasanne, Alderney

they keep winning because the majority agree with how they run ting ... plain and simple

"they keep winning because the majority agree with how they run ting ... plain and simple"

Obviously thats a fact..i was more curious as to hear from people as to why..what is it that they like about them..given their record is poor on a lot of things.

By *ealthy_and_HungMan  over a year ago

Princes Risborough, Luasanne, Alderney

they keep winning because the majority agree with their record on running ting being excellent ... plain and simple

Gloucestershire

"Really?

We subsidise that.

As stated not an SNP supporter don’t want independence either but don’t you think the north of uk gave our fair share to the uk for years with poor returns ?

( pretty sure Cumbria and Northumberland would have wanted better high speed rail links etc and improved infrastructure )

"

So you’re saying because of the years of neglect you are screwing the rest of the UK over?

We have problems also. Not just scotland, if they really want to make a difference, give labour or the Lib Dems seats in parliament in scotland, because the SNP in parliament is nothing but a protest party, the offer of devo max should be on the table, which is the best of both worlds.

"Really?

We subsidise that.

So you’re saying because of the years of neglect you are screwing the rest of the UK over?

We have problems also. Not just scotland, if they really want to make a difference, give labour or the Lib Dems seats in parliament in scotland, because the SNP in parliament is nothing but a protest party, the offer of devo max should be on the table, which is the best of both worlds."

Agree with everything you say

Used to vote SNP but not anymore over the way their ferry policies for the Isles showed their incompetence.

"Used to vote SNP but not anymore over the way their ferry policies for the Isles showed their incompetence."

So do you think their boat is sinking..?

[Removed by poster at 16/05/22 08:50:14]

"they keep winning because the majority agree with how they run ting ... plain and simple

Obviously thats a fact..i was more curious as to hear from people as to why..what is it that they like about them..given their record is poor on a lot of things. "

Maybe its because, they are fun daby dozy..

By *ulaMan  over a year ago

Hitchin

Same way as the new Mayor of Tower Hamlets.

By *ackformore100Man  over a year ago

Tin town

Because their message is really really simple. Pretty much one policy... Which happens to resonate with the active minority...that and she manages media really really well.

By *lixerMan  over a year ago

Glasgow

More of us Scots see that the English Westminster system just doesn't work. Not for the Celtic Nations, for sure.

Change will come with the weans. They hate it even more than me. The yoons are dying off.

By *heBirminghamWeekendMan  over a year ago

here

"More of us Scots see that the English Westminster system just doesn't work. Not for the Celtic Nations, for sure.

Change will come with the weans. They hate it even more than me. The yoons are dying off. "

You have to take most things in The National with a pinch of salt.

By *iman2100Man  over a year ago

Glasgow

"More of us Scots see that the English Westminster system just doesn't work. Not for the Celtic Nations, for sure.

Change will come with the weans. They hate it even more than me. The yoons are dying off. "

What is actually wrong with the Westminister system that means it does not work for the Celtic nations? Westminster is the mother of parliaments, not perfect, but a darn sight better than most.

Scotland gets more per capita than England, Wales and Northern Ireland. It has autonomy over everything except defence, foreign policy and some taxes. If NHS Scotland does not work, it's the SNP. If education is failing, it's the SNP. If fiscal control is bad and the balance of payments deficit keeps growing, it's the SNP. If it's Scotland being the drug takers capital of Europe, it's the SNP. Same with the police, judiciary, social services, infrastructure and the Scottish economy in general. Least we forget, what about all the services provided by the SNP run local authorities.

So what has Westminster done so badly for Scotland other than provide a whipping boy for Queen Nichola to blame her own failings on?

Scots represent about 9% of the UK. What does the SNP really expect of Westminister? Will it not be satisfied until the other 91% to dance to its tune?

By *oversfunCouple  over a year ago

ayrshire

"Their record on all the important stuff is abysmal..education..nhs..policing..economy..drugs to name a few..and yet they keep getting all the majority votes in local and national elections. Curious as to why? "

Hey there you with the sad face hahaha unionist fud

By *ercuryMan  over a year ago

Grantham

How are they getting on with their newly nationalised Scotrail?

By *obletonMan  over a year ago

THE STICKS

Tories:

"The SNP renationalised their rail network 7 weeks ago and it's a disaster!"

Also Tories:

"We only left the EU 2 years ago - it's not a total shitshow and a shop window on our incompetence - it's teething troubles"

Tin town

"Tories:

Also Tories:

"We only left the EU 2 years ago - it's not a total shitshow and a shop window on our incompetence - it's teething troubles""

What's that thing my mum used to say... Two wrongs DO make a right.

By *obletonMan  over a year ago

THE STICKS

"Tories:

Also Tories:

"We only left the EU 2 years ago - it's not a total shitshow and a shop window on our incompetence - it's teething troubles"

What's that thing my mum used to say... Two wrongs DO make a right. "

certainly snappier than "doubling down on confirmation bias"

Tin town

"Tories:

Also Tories:

What's that thing my mum used to say... Two wrongs DO make a right.

certainly snappier than "doubling down on confirmation bias""

Yeah not so sure I'd have remembered that "saying"

By *mateur100Man  over a year ago

nr faversham

For the same reason Tory supporters tend to vote Tory, and labour supporters vote labour

Glasgow

"Their record on all the important stuff is abysmal..education..nhs..policing..economy..drugs to name a few..and yet they keep getting all the majority votes in local and national elections. Curious as to why?

For the same reason Tory supporters tend to vote Tory, and labour supporters vote labour "

The SNP make blindfolds out of the Scottish Saltire flag for their followers. Consequently, it is unpatriotic and tantamount to being a traitor not to vote for them.

By *oversfunCouple  over a year ago

ayrshire

"Their record on all the important stuff is abysmal..education..nhs..policing..economy..drugs to name a few..and yet they keep getting all the majority votes in local and national elections. Curious as to why?

For the same reason Tory supporters tend to vote Tory, and labour supporters vote labour

The SNP make blindfolds out of the Scottish Saltire flag for their followers. Consequently, it is unpatriotic and tantamount to being a traitor not to vote for them. "

Utter rubbish

Glasgow

The SNP make blindfolds out of the Scottish Saltire flag for their followers. Consequently, it is unpatriotic and tantamount to being a traitor not to vote for them.

Utter rubbish"

Prove that please.

"Really?

Not an SNP supporter though free prescriptions , no university fees for lots of students , slight tax rate changes to suit lower earners higher tax for high earners , some extra benefits ( £20 not researched that just something in back of my mind ) so four things I can think of against their time in office is that good value for Scotland ? I’m sure someone can now find more failings with them like the Ferguson ship contract costing ( us ) a fortune and the Alex Salmond court fiasco . "

Free prescriptions, that's why we are paying more tax.(there was Free prescriptions before hand, if you were on benefits or required a lot of medication)

Costing a fortune to send my off-spring to uni. Yes their student loan is means tested against parents income. Yup it's a loan..

Train drivers going on strike no doubt that's the trains to balloch cancelled more often soon.

Main stream media don't give them the same bad press as the tories, I wonder why.

Do you actually think salmond gave up being first minister on his own accord of course the party knew what was happening.. the whole party are corrupt and now in bed with the greens who don't want oil drilled anymore...

A first minister who would have been stuck off by the law society, if she hadn't resigned before hand.

the Scots will get what they sowed..

Promise freedom, and you will always win, look at the Brexit"

Didn't work out well for that chap in Braveheart though did it!

By *elboy321Man  over a year ago

Paisley

Because the people in Scotland ditched the red tories for a party we can trust.

Labour had the chance to rid our country of the vile tories in 2014 forever but told us we're better with them. As an ex member of the Labour Party I will never forget or ever forgive them.

By *rDiscretionXXXMan  over a year ago

Gilfach

"Labour had the chance to rid our country of the vile tories in 2014 forever but told us we're better with them. As an ex member of the Labour Party I will never forget or ever forgive them."

That seems a bit unfair. The stats show that Labour lost 57.8% of its support over the Indyref issue. That's much more than the overall 44.7% that voted 'Yes'. It seems that the party members knew what they wanted, and were prepared to leave the party in order to get it.

Do you really believe that the Labour party campaigning for 'No' actually had any effect?

Paisley

"Labour had the chance to rid our country of the vile tories in 2014 forever but told us we're better with them. As an ex member of the Labour Party I will never forget or ever forgive them.

That seems a bit unfair. The stats show that Labour lost 57.8% of its support over the Indyref issue. That's much more than the overall 44.7% that voted 'Yes'. It seems that the party members knew what they wanted, and were prepared to leave the party in order to get it.

Do you really believe that the Labour party campaigning for 'No' actually had any effect?"

Definitely, had they backed independence along with the SNP and Greens we would be free from this vile tory government. Even at local council level they have turned there back on working people by going into coalitions with the tories up and down the country.

Never forgive and never forget.

Tin town

"Labour had the chance to rid our country of the vile tories in 2014 forever but told us we're better with them. As an ex member of the Labour Party I will never forget or ever forgive them.

Do you really believe that the Labour party campaigning for 'No' actually had any effect?

Definitely, had they backed independence along with the SNP and Greens we would be free from this vile tory government. Even at local council level they have turned there back on working people by going into coalitions with the tories up and down the country.

Never forgive and never forget."

"Never forgive and never forget."... Doesn't sound like the recipe for a happy life

Curious who the opposition would be in Scotland following independence. As the current Labour and Cons would surely be defunct - given they are mostly aligned to Westminster objectives. Would they not need to be entirely restructured?

Paisley

"Curious who the opposition would be in Scotland following independence. As the current Labour and Cons would surely be defunct - given they are mostly aligned to Westminster objectives. Would they not need to be entirely restructured?

Scottish Labour could apoligise for giving us years of tory rule, re-invent itself and become more a socialist party than tory light.

"

By *outhsideguy25Man  over a year ago

EK

What it seems to show is that people will continue to votes SNP despite NHS, policing, education, economy and internal scandals that would bring down any other party or government in Europe because they somehow think that getting rid of the UK and Westminster will make it all better. It won’t. You’ll still have the same people making the same blunders but they won’t have anyone else to blame after independence. If any of these parties cared about the people they’d be working together to solve the problems rather that what often happened deliberately saying and doing the opposite just because it’s a different to their own party policy.

» Add a new message to this topic