FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > Politics > do you think all politicians are as bad as each other?

do you think all politicians are as bad as each other?

Jump to: Newest in thread

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

I keep seeing words to that effect cropping up in public discourse.

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *oo hotCouple  over a year ago

North West

"I keep seeing words to that effect cropping up in public discourse."

That's the plan.

The Conservative activists know that Boris is a liar and a charlatan and so is vulnerable to an attack on integrity and honesty.

If the narrative can be changed to that of all politicians are liars and charlatan's then that keeps Johnson in the clear because there is nothing necessarily bad about him.

By *irldnCouple  over a year ago

Brighton

It is a narrative that has been weaponised by the right wing (current Govt supporting) media to create false equivalence. It is clearly working, just one look at people trying to say “beergate” is as bad as “partygate” is a great example.

Of course there are bad people in every party. There are also good people in every party. But it is where the tipping point is that matters! Right now the current Conservative party have more than their fair share of crooks, liars and swindlers.

By *hoenixandflamesCouple  over a year ago

Stockport

They definitely aren't.

But sadly, it's been manipulated to such a degree that it's disincentivised people from voting and engaging in democracy if they see things not changing.

Which is bang on, if you are a Tory.

But if you consider yourself someone who cares about more than just yourself, it's a terrible state of affairs to be in.

But playing to peoples selfish interests is just too easy.

By *ddmanMan  over a year ago

Norwich

I do believe that politicians inevitably fall foul of the moral hazards of thier chosen profession. To get the things done they care about, in an environment that tends to corruption, they most likely won't cleave to the standards we'd like.

Or, "effective politicians can't be saints".

That still isn't an blank-cheque excuse in times where we need both standards and effective action but a politician should understand when it's time to go and go gracefully. Ideally before their mounting toxicity causes damage.

There is a distinct difference between those that are in the muck due to compromises necessary to do the work, and those for whom the pursuit of power defenestrates all decency, guilt and shame entirely.

Sadly the current UK administration has a fair number of the latter.

So "they're not all as bad as each other, some are a way worse".

By *AFKA HovisMan  over a year ago

Sindon Swingdon Swindon

When one has got done for sexually assaulting a 15 yo, then I'd say no, they are not all the same.

But we do sometimes get both tej politicians and the behaviour we deserve.

One of the attacks on SKS is he should have been more open about the meal. But I suspect they keep things closer to their cheat because any admissions would have been collateral for the papers. He played a game. Could an *honest" MP survive the game ? I don't think so.

By *iman2100Man  over a year ago

Glasgow

Yes. They all lie, deceive and cannot be trusted. It is just a pity some people cannot see that.

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

Yep.. they hate us, we are shit on their shoes.

Since you think they're all the same, you think Hitler and Mandela are the same. Feel free to explain how...

How were those two equally bad?

By *ohnnyTwoNotesMan  over a year ago

golden fields

It's a lazy trope.

If we're talking global scale, it's easy to pick the worst from recent times. Bolsonaro, Trump, Putin, Boris etc. They make the headlines.

If we're talking just the UK. The current government are obviously the worst we have in terms of their self serving nature, greed, lies, incompetence etc.

It comes down to the opposition. Personally I can't imagine how they could be any worse. But the Tory supporting media (nearly all the media here supports the government), would have you believe that the current shit show is better than the alternative, even though there is zero evidence to suggest so.

By *wisted999Man  over a year ago

North Bucks

No they are not. You just don’t tend to hear about the good ones facepalming themselves into unconsciousness in the background.

By *ebjonnsonMan  over a year ago

Maldon

No, but they are all politicians. We have too many of them - 650 ! That’s more than Senators & Congressmen combined to run the USA.

By *ustintime69Man  over a year ago

Bristol

"I keep seeing words to that effect cropping up in public discourse.

No, but they are all politicians. We have too many of them - 650 ! That’s more than Senators & Congressmen combined to run the USA."

I tend to agree that we have far too many MPs and as for the House of Lords I can think of quite a few who should never have been knighted in the first place but that’s the trouble with our democracy, too many venal heartless scum rise to the top in government and when you have a leader who surrounds himself with cronies then be prepared to lose your rights

By *hieldMan  over a year ago

Neath

"No they are not. You just don’t tend to hear about the good ones facepalming themselves into unconsciousness in the background. "

And this is media fail. I know low level politicians who spend their energy for their community. Alas it makes it easier for the career, ego driven candidates to rise as that's how their energy is spent.

» Add a new message to this topic