FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > Politics > Feeding your family

Feeding your family

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *ackal1 OP   Couple  over a year ago

Manchester

Lee Anderson MP says there is no great need for food banks and people can have healthy nutritious food for 30p a day. So a family of four have £8.40 to supply three meals a day for a week.

Can you manage on this? Tory MP says you can and so stop using food banks.

This woman’s trial is interesting although out of date on prices .

https://www.goodto.com/food/how-to-feed-a-family-of-4-for-20-a-week-114543

From the big issue.

“Anderson’s comments come on the same day another Tory politician has received food bank-related criticism.

The leader of Dartford Council in Kent Jeremy Kite was seen smiling alongside the mayor while performing a ribbon-cutting at a new food bank in the area.”

So celebrating a new food bank!!!

Tories smiling all the way. Unbelievable.

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *ostafunMan  over a year ago

near ipswich

Not sure for 30p but i have been saying for ages that all kids should be taught how to cook from scratch as its so much cheaper.

By *mateur100Man  over a year ago

nr faversham

"Not sure for 30p but i have been saying for ages that all kids should be taught how to cook from scratch as its so much cheaper."

You could always expect the parents to be able to cook and budget...oh hang on, that's clearly too much and the very point the MP was making. I wonder, if it had been a high profile Labour MP suggesting this, would it have been received in a more positive manner???

Manchester

"Not sure for 30p but i have been saying for ages that all kids should be taught how to cook from scratch as its so much cheaper."

I agree totally . The government cut funding for home economics on schools unfortunately.

Manchester

"Not sure for 30p but i have been saying for ages that all kids should be taught how to cook from scratch as its so much cheaper.

You could always expect the parents to be able to cook and budget...oh hang on, that's clearly too much and the very point the MP was making. I wonder, if it had been a high profile Labour MP suggesting this, would it have been received in a more positive manner???"

He was being an arse saying you can feed a family for £8.40 a week. That is fact.

Yes I’ve just looked at his expenses and he charges everything back to the tax payer including the £1 booking fee for his first class train tickets and he never declares how long his hotel stays are but it’s calculating at £350 per night. Cheaper hotels are not on his agenda. He’s blatantly very careful with his own money but definitely not with ours. Oh and his flat rent is £1733 per month not much to worry about there for him eh. .

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

Would have to teach the little buggers how to use a sink or a dishwasher though or the’d soon run out of crockery!

nr faversham

"Not sure for 30p but i have been saying for ages that all kids should be taught how to cook from scratch as its so much cheaper.

You could always expect the parents to be able to cook and budget...oh hang on, that's clearly too much and the very point the MP was making. I wonder, if it had been a high profile Labour MP suggesting this, would it have been received in a more positive manner???

He was being an arse saying you can feed a family for £8.40 a week. That is fact.

Yes I’ve just looked at his expenses and he charges everything back to the tax payer including the £1 booking fee for his first class train tickets and he never declares how long his hotel stays are but it’s calculating at £350 per night. Cheaper hotels are not on his agenda. He’s blatantly very careful with his own money but definitely not with ours. Oh and his flat rent is £1733 per month not much to worry about there for him eh. .

"

His expenditure is as irrelevant as that of SKS, Rayner or any other member of parliament. The fact remains everyone can cut costs. The amount depends on where the family is, size of family etc as you well know. Advice is being offered, and it's good advice. As I've said elsewhere give a man a fish

His expenditure is as irrelevant as that of SKS, Rayner or any other member of parliament. The fact remains everyone can cut costs. The amount depends on where the family is, size of family etc as you well know. Advice is being offered, and it's good advice. As I've said elsewhere give a man a fish "

Tbh, there are plenty of rats, squirrels and pigeons that could be easily hunted and used in a stew, they would be free. Road kill is also free, there is no need to pay for water, just catch rain in a large tub, bath once a week, just like the ‘good old days’

[Removed by poster at 11/05/22 22:48:16]

nr faversham

His expenditure is as irrelevant as that of SKS, Rayner or any other member of parliament. The fact remains everyone can cut costs. The amount depends on where the family is, size of family etc as you well know. Advice is being offered, and it's good advice. As I've said elsewhere give a man a fish

Tbh, there are plenty of rats, squirrels and pigeons that could be easily hunted and used in a stew, they would be free. Road kill is also free, there is no need to pay for water, just catch rain in a large tub, bath once a week, just like the ‘good old days’ "

That's pathetic

Tbh, there are plenty of rats, squirrels and pigeons that could be easily hunted and used in a stew, they would be free. Road kill is also free, there is no need to pay for water, just catch rain in a large tub, bath once a week, just like the ‘good old days’

That's pathetic "

Why? It is free food that is going to waste,

nr faversham

That's pathetic

Why? It is free food that is going to waste, "

So you've no issues with the poorest eating it?

That's pathetic

So you've no issues with the poorest eating it?"

Why are you criticising my advice?

nr faversham

That's pathetic

Why are you criticising my advice? "

Why are you answering with a question

That's pathetic

Why are you answering with a question "

Why did you answer my previous reply with a question, this is just ‘unjust criticism’

That's pathetic

Why did you answer my previous reply with a question, this is just ‘unjust criticism’ "

2/3 of the world survive on a $1 a day. Why are the poor over here more deserving?

That's pathetic

Why did you answer my previous reply with a question, this is just ‘unjust criticism’

2/3 of the world survive on a $1 a day. Why are the poor over here more deserving? "

We are the fastest growing economy in the G7 , apparently ,

nr faversham

That's pathetic

2/3 of the world survive on a $1 a day. Why are the poor over here more deserving?

We are the fastest growing economy in the G7 , apparently , "

An economy with more job vacancies than unemployed yet people still sit on benefits. I'll say again, give a man a fish!!!!!!!

Manchester

His expenditure is as irrelevant as that of SKS, Rayner or any other member of parliament. The fact remains everyone can cut costs. The amount depends on where the family is, size of family etc as you well know. Advice is being offered, and it's good advice. As I've said elsewhere give a man a fish "

It’s very relevant as it reflects his perspective as he can pass his increased costs on unlike the people who are struggling.

To cook us a good idea no argument. To claim 30p cost is just insulting and offensive.

I’d publicly challenge him to do as he claims, it won’t happen.

Manchester

That's pathetic

An economy with more job vacancies than unemployed yet people still sit on benefits. I'll say again, give a man a fish!!!!!!!"

So only those on benefits are using food banks?

That's pathetic

An economy with more job vacancies than unemployed yet people still sit on benefits. I'll say again, give a man a fish!!!!!!!"

Global Britain, where no one wants to do the jobs on offer and we are encouraged to eat Turnips by our MPs

That's pathetic

An economy with more job vacancies than unemployed yet people still sit on benefits. I'll say again, give a man a fish!!!!!!!

So only those on benefits are using food banks? "

Unfortunately , nurses are having to use food banks

That's pathetic

We are the fastest growing economy in the G7 , apparently , "

Fat shaming is not allowed. See the obesity crisis thread!

That's pathetic

Fat shaming is not allowed. See the obesity crisis thread! "

Eh?

That's pathetic

Eh? "

Fastest “growing” economy?

That's pathetic

Eh?

Fastest “growing” economy? "

Ha, sorry, that went right over my head

That's pathetic

Eh?

Fastest “growing” economy?

Ha, sorry, that went right over my head "

38p it’s possible not 35p

"38p it’s possible not 35p"

Bull shit

Manchester

"38p it’s possible not 35p"

PMSL

I must say credit to Costa not blindly defending this number. Shame others have thrown reason over a wall and no idea how to get it back.

By *oxychick35Couple  over a year ago

thornaby

That's pathetic

Unfortunately , nurses are having to use food banks "

bullshit

That's pathetic

Unfortunately , nurses are having to use food banks bullshit "

https://www.mylondon.news/news/north-london-news/london-nurses-using-food-banks-21229427.amp

Have a read

That's pathetic

Unfortunately , nurses are having to use food banks bullshit "

https://metro.co.uk/2021/07/22/nhs-pay-rise-nurse-who-used-foodbanks-over-christmas-blasts-3-pay-deal-14970760/amp/

Have another read

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/2058212/nhs-nurses-forced-to-go-to-food-banks-and-take-out-payday-loans-to-make-ends-meet/amp/

Or this, I apologise it was in The Sun though

thornaby

It’s called over stretching themselves on how and oversize mortgages food banks are for the low paid

By *ohnnyTwoNotesMan  over a year ago

golden fields

"It’s called over stretching themselves on how and oversize mortgages food banks are for the low paid "

Hold on, two posts back you said it was bullshit.

Now it's not bullshit but you have an excuse.

Which one is it?

By *ertwoCouple  over a year ago

omagh

Not a chance of 30p a day feeding a person Unless you eat rice on its own. But its even worse In this part of the UK because of the EUs Northern Ireland protocol which has driven our cost of living higher than that in the rest of our UK. Customs cost money to process and the protocol has quatas which mean as the quatas are filled customs will be added on top driving cost of living here even higher.

golden fields

"Not a chance of 30p a day feeding a person Unless you eat rice on its own. But its even worse In this part of the UK because of the EUs Northern Ireland protocol which has driven our cost of living higher than that in the rest of our UK. Customs cost money to process and the protocol has quatas which mean as the quatas are filled customs will be added on top driving cost of living here even higher."

"There is no downside to Brexit" David Davis Tory MP and brexit campaigner.

Anyone heard of the Trussel Trust? An NGO that started in 1996 and are now responsible for over two-thirds of all emergency food bank provision in the UK. Their recorded largest increase in usage was 226% in 2007, the end of Blair's Labour govt./beginning of Brown's. Their smallest ever percentage increase in usage of just 2% was 2016 after about 5 years of Cameron's conservative government. These stats are checkable on their website.

39p is possible.. 38pm was probably pushing it a bit.

thornaby

"It’s called over stretching themselves on how and oversize mortgages food banks are for the low paid

Which one is it?"

im saying bullshit

By *eroy1000Man  over a year ago

milton keynes

"Lee Anderson MP says there is no great need for food banks and people can have healthy nutritious food for 30p a day. So a family of four have £8.40 to supply three meals a day for a week.

From the big issue.

“Anderson’s comments come on the same day another Tory politician has received food bank-related criticism.

The leader of Dartford Council in Kent Jeremy Kite was seen smiling alongside the mayor while performing a ribbon-cutting at a new food bank in the area.”

Tories smiling all the way. Unbelievable. "

Did this person give a breakdown of the ingredients at all? Quite a few years ago Sainsburys had little cards in their shops showing how to do a dinner for 4 people for a fiver. I tried them and they worked a treat. No idea how you do it for 30 pence a day. Definitely learning to budget and cook would be a benefit

golden fields

"It’s called over stretching themselves on how and oversize mortgages food banks are for the low paid

Which one is it?im saying bullshit "

Ha. Even though it's true. In real life?

golden fields

"Lee Anderson MP says there is no great need for food banks and people can have healthy nutritious food for 30p a day. So a family of four have £8.40 to supply three meals a day for a week.

From the big issue.

Tories smiling all the way. Unbelievable.

Did this person give a breakdown of the ingredients at all? Quite a few years ago Sainsburys had little cards in their shops showing how to do a dinner for 4 people for a fiver. I tried them and they worked a treat. No idea how you do it for 30 pence a day. Definitely learning to budget and cook would be a benefit"

Oh yeah £5 is doable.

There are a lot of healthy meals you can make without much money.

Suggesting 30p is just silly. You know these things happen. It's not a big deal.

The real issue is how many people are being forced into such poverty that they have to reply on foodbanks.

"39p is possible.. 38pm was probably pushing it a bit."

You can eat for free

Which one is it?im saying bullshit "

It isn’t bull shit . Do they have any food banks in your area?

"Anyone heard of the Trussel Trust? An NGO that started in 1996 and are now responsible for over two-thirds of all emergency food bank provision in the UK. Their recorded largest increase in usage was 226% in 2007, the end of Blair's Labour govt./beginning of Brown's. Their smallest ever percentage increase in usage of just 2% was 2016 after about 5 years of Cameron's conservative government. These stats are checkable on their website."

And what is it now? After 12 years of Tory government’s has it dropped??

"Anyone heard of the Trussel Trust? An NGO that started in 1996 and are now responsible for over two-thirds of all emergency food bank provision in the UK. Their recorded largest increase in usage was 226% in 2007, the end of Blair's Labour govt./beginning of Brown's. Their smallest ever percentage increase in usage of just 2% was 2016 after about 5 years of Cameron's conservative government. These stats are checkable on their website.

And what is it now? After 12 years of Tory government’s has it dropped?? "

According to their website, yes - considerably. At the end of the labour govt in 2010 increase in usage was at 58%. The last figures at the end of 2020/beginning of 2021 record it at only an 18% increase.

Jack Monroe wrote a great blog on her website (cooking on a bootstrap) about 4 weeks ago that covers a lot of the comments on this thread. The blog title is "it's not about the pasta, Kevin", thought it might be against rules to post link. It's well worth a read though.

golden fields

[Removed by poster at 12/05/22 20:05:31]

By *ulaMan  over a year ago

Hitchin

"

You looked at his expenses not the man, who was a coal miner, brought up 2 kids on his own, ex Labour who went over to the tory's so id say he knows a thing or two.

golden fields

"Anyone heard of the Trussel Trust? An NGO that started in 1996 and are now responsible for over two-thirds of all emergency food bank provision in the UK. Their recorded largest increase in usage was 226% in 2007, the end of Blair's Labour govt./beginning of Brown's. Their smallest ever percentage increase in usage of just 2% was 2016 after about 5 years of Cameron's conservative government. These stats are checkable on their website.

According to their website, yes - considerably. At the end of the labour govt in 2010 increase in usage was at 58%. The last figures at the end of 2020/beginning of 2021 record it at only an 18% increase."

So the rate of increase has dropped?

IE. Foodbank usage has gone up.

According to their website, yes - considerably. At the end of the labour govt in 2010 increase in usage was at 58%. The last figures at the end of 2020/beginning of 2021 record it at only an 18% increase."

Is that an 18% increase from 2010? Or just for 2021?

You looked at his expenses not the man, who was a coal miner, brought up 2 kids on his own, ex Labour who went over to the tory's so id say he knows a thing or two. "

Sounds like he is a ‘token ‘ working class single parent tory , just like Angela Rayner is for Labour (according to you )

Hitchin

According to their website, yes - considerably. At the end of the labour govt in 2010 increase in usage was at 58%. The last figures at the end of 2020/beginning of 2021 record it at only an 18% increase.

IE. Foodbank usage has gone up."

One flaw in your post 12 years of Tory government, it started as a coalition then hung parliaments until the last election 2 years odd ago, then had Brexit covid gas and oil prices then WW3 knocking on the door, lack of grain and wheat, spare car parts from Ukraine ,but you still blame Boris government you are one sad fucking idiot.

golden fields

IE. Foodbank usage has gone up.

One flaw in your post 12 years of Tory government, it started as a coalition then hung parliaments until the last election 2 years odd ago, then had Brexit covid gas and oil prices then WW3 knocking on the door, lack of grain and wheat, spare car parts from Ukraine ,but you still blame Boris government you are one sad fucking idiot. "

Classy.

Also, I didn't blame Boris's government, you imagined that I did, got angry, and started insulting me.

Sterling work.

Hitchin

You looked at his expenses not the man, who was a coal miner, brought up 2 kids on his own, ex Labour who went over to the tory's so id say he knows a thing or two.

Sounds like he is a ‘token ‘ working class single parent tory , just like Angela Rayner is for Labour (according to you ) "

Yea he is not like ginger getting £234,410.79 on top of her £87k a year

By *ealthy_and_HungMan  over a year ago

Princes Risborough, Luasanne, Alderney

12 years of fascist government and counting

thornaby

Which one is it?im saying bullshit

Ha. Even though it's true. In real life?"

so is it just one nurse or lots because I’d guess there be the odd policeman teacher doctor aswell but like I said it’s not there pay it’s how they are managing it

By *ealthy_and_HungMan  over a year ago

Princes Risborough, Luasanne, Alderney

unless you've audited their personal finances, that's clearly wild surmise on your part and has no grounding in reality.

golden fields

Ha. Even though it's true. In real life? so is it just one nurse or lots because I’d guess there be the odd policeman teacher doctor aswell but like I said it’s not there pay it’s how they are managing it "

Yes lots of nurses and people from other professions too.

And for real, life is fucking tough for a lot of people. You can choose to pretend it isn't happening, fine. But the reality is, some nurses have to use food banks to feed their families.

By *eavenscentitCouple  over a year ago

barnstaple

Like anything, we can try eating on a small budget for a week even a month but, year in year out is demoralising. Also, having rich wankers tell you how easy it is - not helpful

nr faversham

Ha. Even though it's true. In real life? so is it just one nurse or lots because I’d guess there be the odd policeman teacher doctor aswell but like I said it’s not there pay it’s how they are managing it

And for real, life is fucking tough for a lot of people. You can choose to pretend it isn't happening, fine. But the reality is, some nurses have to use food banks to feed their families.

"

I don't have a problem with nurses using food banks. I do have a problem with bone idle families with sky, fags, , beers, deliveries, taxis claiming that they need food banks. If they didn't milk the system...????

Sounds like he is a ‘token ‘ working class single parent tory , just like Angela Rayner is for Labour (according to you )

Yea he is not like ginger getting £234,410.79 on top of her £87k a year "

She is doing well for a ‘token working class’ labour MP,

Ha. Even though it's true. In real life? so is it just one nurse or lots because I’d guess there be the odd policeman teacher doctor aswell but like I said it’s not there pay it’s how they are managing it

I don't have a problem with nurses using food banks. I do have a problem with bone idle families with sky, fags, , beers, deliveries, taxis claiming that they need food banks. If they didn't milk the system...????"

So your ok living in a country , fastest growing economy in the G7 (apparently) where nurses have to resort to using food banks?

Manchester

Hmmm if you read further down the figures on the same website show just over a million users of food banks 2014/15

In 2020/21 the figure is 2.1m that’s 100% during the tory governments watch. In London it’s pushing three times as many for the same period.

The figures quoted by you are percentages .

So for example if two people used food banks one year but the number was four the following year the number is 100%

Food banks in their present form excluding the Salvation Army and similar soup kitchens. were introduced in 2004 so it is reasonable to expect higher percentage increases in the early start up of lower numbers. The obscene gross increases are all Tory tenure.

Feel free to check for yourselves.

https://www.trusselltrust.org/news-and-blog/latest-stats/end-year-stats/

Manchester

I don't have a problem with nurses using food banks. I do have a problem with bone idle families with sky, fags, , beers, deliveries, taxis claiming that they need food banks. If they didn't milk the system...????"

But are you happy that we support tax avoiders who cost far more by letting them keep what should tax payers money with figures in the hundreds of millions? Isn’t that milking the system?

What’s the difference?

By *itzi999Woman  over a year ago

Slough

Taxation is in law, and it is not “avoidance” at all. None of the people are breaking the law.

nr faversham

I don't have a problem with nurses using food banks. I do have a problem with bone idle families with sky, fags, , beers, deliveries, taxis claiming that they need food banks. If they didn't milk the system...????

But are you happy that we support tax avoiders who cost far more by letting them keep what should tax payers money with figures in the hundreds of millions? Isn’t that milking the system?

What’s the difference?

"

Big difference. You're trying to deflect as well you know

Hmmm if you read further down the figures on the same website show just over a million users of food banks 2014/15

In 2020/21 the figure is 2.1m that’s 100% during the tory governments watch. In London it’s pushing three times as many for the same period.

So for example if two people used food banks one year but the number was four the following year the number is 100%

Food banks in their present form excluding the Salvation Army and similar soup kitchens. were introduced in 2004 so it is reasonable to expect higher percentage increases in the early start up of lower numbers. The obscene gross increases are all Tory tenure.

https://www.trusselltrust.org/news-and-blog/latest-stats/end-year-stats/"

You clearly don't understand how percentages work, so your post can be mostly ignored. However, thank you for highlighting that food banks started as a necessity in 2004, 7 years into a 13 year Labour government.

Manchester

"Taxation is in law, and it is not “avoidance” at all. None of the people are breaking the law. "

Neither are the people claiming benefits so please explain your point?

Manchester

https://www.trusselltrust.org/news-and-blog/latest-stats/end-year-stats/

You clearly don't understand how percentages work, so your post can be mostly ignored. However, thank you for highlighting that food banks started as a necessity in 2004, 7 years into a 13 year Labour government. "

Let me try again

If during the labour government the number f users went up from 100k to 200k that’s a 100% increase.

If during the Tory tenure the number goes from 2million to 2.2 million that 10%

Which is the worst figure?

"It’s called over stretching themselves on how and oversize mortgages food banks are for the low paid "

In fairness if houses (to buy) or housing (to rent) were not so expensive I dare say the poor and low paid would have a little more to spend on food and energy. As I’ve said on many threads the failure of successive Labour and Conservative governments has been in not addressing the demand for (truly) affordable housing. That is the most shameful aspect of all this. Protecting the rentier class at the expense of the masses.address this and songle digit inflation would not be such an issue. But when everything in terms of cost of living is ‘profiteered’ to the max, then those on lower incomes (below 75tj percentile) are going to get screwed up the ass with no vaseline! And the lower down the percentile ranking they are - the harder they get fked! We don’t have to pay the low skilled £20 an hour, but we (as a society) do need to provide the basic need of shelter for less than 50% of the take home of the NMW!

Slough

"Taxation is in law, and it is not “avoidance” at all. None of the people are breaking the law.

Neither are the people claiming benefits so please explain your point? "

There is no such thing as “tax avoidance.” What part do you fail to understand?

Slough

In fairness if houses (to buy) or housing (to rent) were not so expensive I dare say the poor and low paid would have a little more to spend on food and energy. As I’ve said on many threads the failure of successive Labour and Conservative governments has been in not addressing the demand for (truly) affordable housing. That is the most shameful aspect of all this. Protecting the rentier class at the expense of the masses.address this and songle digit inflation would not be such an issue. But when everything in terms of cost of living is ‘profiteered’ to the max, then those on lower incomes (below 75tj percentile) are going to get screwed up the ass with no vaseline! And the lower down the percentile ranking they are - the harder they get fked! We don’t have to pay the low skilled £20 an hour, but we (as a society) do need to provide the basic need of shelter for less than 50% of the take home of the NMW! "

Hence the reason why we should stop foreign aid altogether and start spending that money in the UK population for social housing etc

Manchester

What’s the difference?

Big difference. You're trying to deflect as well you know "

No I’m not deflecting. You are claiming by inference they are doing something wrong by claiming benefits which they are not. I’m pointing out other legal forms of claiming benefit which is on a much larger scale. Because one buys fags and the other buys mega yachts what business is that of yours!

You’re falling for the rhetoric of the daily mail benefit “scrounger” even though they are legally entitled. And the likes of “illegal” immigrant even though the vast majority are legal.

"Not a chance of 30p a day feeding a person Unless you eat rice on its own. But its even worse In this part of the UK because of the EUs Northern Ireland protocol which has driven our cost of living higher than that in the rest of our UK. Customs cost money to process and the protocol has quatas which mean as the quatas are filled customs will be added on top driving cost of living here even higher.

"There is no downside to Brexit" David Davis Tory MP and brexit campaigner.

"

Has anyone stopped to think:

‘British’ Govt don’t really want to fund NI. Westminster wishes that it as a problem would just quietly go away.

Majority of the ‘mainland’ British simple don’f give a fk about NI.

So might this fk’d up protocol be designed to push those with an inclination to pretend to be British, closer to the benefits of joining forces with their Irish counterparts?

Nothing better than tough love to drive away an unwanted partner right?

It could also be ineptitude on the part of the Tories, but equally, it could be be bu design. After all NI costs Westminster billions. And we all know ‘they’ hate giving away such sums to the minor nations.

Food for thought. Pardon the pun.

"Anyone heard of the Trussel Trust? An NGO that started in 1996 and are now responsible for over two-thirds of all emergency food bank provision in the UK. Their recorded largest increase in usage was 226% in 2007, the end of Blair's Labour govt./beginning of Brown's. Their smallest ever percentage increase in usage of just 2% was 2016 after about 5 years of Cameron's conservative government. These stats are checkable on their website."

After nearly 15 years of Tory rule their usage has now shrunk. Sk what’s your point? Throwing stats that relate to a global financial crisis that had more to do with derivatives regulation than who was in government is disingenuous.

Stick to eating biscuits mate.

Manchester

"Taxation is in law, and it is not “avoidance” at all. None of the people are breaking the law.

There is no such thing as “tax avoidance.” What part do you fail to understand? "

Please look up the law on tax avoidance . It is a legal process by which you take legal advantage of the tax laws to reduce your tax and therefore increase you net income. Evasion is illegal. There is a whole section on the parliamentary library on tax avoidance, or Is that just made up too?

People on benefits are taking advantage of the legal scheme to acquire money to improve their net income.

You are failing to see tax avoidance and using the legal benefits system to improve your income are one and the same thing. Whilst both are legal they are both morally questionable.

"

New thresholds are being defined.

£20k absolutely piss poor

£40k poor

£60k starting to wonder if they are really “middle class”.

10% and rising.

"Taxation is in law, and it is not “avoidance” at all. None of the people are breaking the law. "

You are correct. But I also hope that you are not so bereft of brain cells to realise that the legislation, and the specialist professional services industry designed to support and navigate the taxation system are in ‘cahoots’ to keep this complex systems of legal loopholes such that it benefits the few at the expense of the masses?

I say this as someone who benefits from the loopholes. But I’m not so hypocritical, dense and socially unaware as to state that being simply legal does not make them fair or frankly moral.

The poor and lower earners get well and truly shafted. But this is by design. This why those with the means make political contributions, exert influence, support lobbying, empower social mediia engineering and pay specialist to maintain that advantage.

Can we not at least acknowledge that?

There is no such thing as “tax avoidance.” What part do you fail to understand? "

Of course there fucking is. That’s the legal part of it. You have a tax liability but by paying specialists 1000s of pounds to place income, investments and wealth into vehicles that mitigate the otherwise level playing field tax burden those with the means ‘avoid’ the tax.

Evasion is legal. That’s hiding it under a mattress or outright not declaring.

Avoidance is offshore corporate structure, complex financial arrangements beyond the comprehension and reach of the masses…. Hence why they feel itnis unfair.

Avoidance is perfectly legal. Ans companies have a legal obligation under company law to seek it!

Does not make it moral or fair in the overall burden of social responsibility however.

But i’d not expect a dunce to get that point.

Slough

Yet again, a failing argument and then stooping to personal insults. How productive….

"Yet again, a failing argument and then stooping to personal insults. How productive…."

So where is your fact laden rebuttal?

And what personal insult? It was aimed in general at anyone incapable of differentiating legal avoidance as an accented practise vs illegal avoidance. It was not aimed at anyone specific. You attach too much import to opinions of your posts maybe?

So where is the argument failing?

By *irldnCouple  over a year ago

Brighton

Ah the old conflating of tax evasion (illegal) with tax avoidance (legal) that has been the sponsored narrative change from HMRC no less.

Little factoid - HMRC lack enough taxation specialists (mostly because the Civil Service does not pay enough to attract those with these skills) so they outsource the majority of their tax policy development to the “big four” consultancies (like KPMG).

These consultancies have designed tax legislation so complex that for the UK it now runs to over 22,000 pages (one of the most complex in the world). So complex that nobody except the consultancies really fully understands it.

And here is the dozy...

These same consultancies then develop tax avoidance instruments for their clients to legally exploit the loopholes the consultancies have left in the tax policy, for a fee of course!

Manchester

"Yet again, a failing argument and then stooping to personal insults. How productive…."

You have yet to point out any incorrect statements in my post so you are now just avoiding the facts .

Slough

“Morals” are not hard facts - they are merely subjective. What can be classified as “moral” in one country is not in another eg. Women in Islamic countries not being able to go out unless accompanied by a male, or stoning to death for women if the husband accuses her of being unfaithful, or witnesses needed for sexual assault cases, regardless of medical evidence.

Manchester

"“Morals” are not hard facts - they are merely subjective. What can be classified as “moral” in one country is not in another eg. Women in Islamic countries not being able to go out unless accompanied by a male, or stoning to death for women if the husband accuses her of being unfaithful, or witnesses needed for sexual assault cases, regardless of medical evidence. "

You claimed tax avoidance doesn’t exist and it was pointed out to you that in fact it does! You are now rambling.

The other poster claimed benefit claimants are scrounges they are in fact claiming what they are entitled to which again is a fact. Tax avoiders are entitled to avoid tax which is a fact.

Like the stoning comments you are now going off on they are stoned which is a fact but morally it is not attractive.

I think you are maybe getting yourself in a muddle. .

thornaby

aw so the really poor shouldn’t use food banks but people on above average pay or well above minimum wage is ok wtf lol

By *AFKA HovisMan  over a year ago

Sindon Swingdon Swindon

If people are buying gags, sky etc and the other tropes, yet using food banks, this could be because of poor budgeting skills and or poor decisions in the past.

Poorer people have a lot less ability to manage cashflow and take a bigger hit if they do.

Anyone who has used a credit card or overdraft to manage an unexpected cost should be grateful they have that option. Oyherised they may be in a debt death spiral.

I suspect there isnt much understanding of what causes people to have to rely on charity. And it's easy for us to create a shyster of a straw man so we can blame them for their own issues and so look ourselves in the mirror.

"“Morals” are not hard facts - they are merely subjective. What can be classified as “moral” in one country is not in another eg. Women in Islamic countries not being able to go out unless accompanied by a male, or stoning to death for women if the husband accuses her of being unfaithful, or witnesses needed for sexual assault cases, regardless of medical evidence. "

Well said x

We all know their is a problem of some people on benefits wasting money on frivolous things. Then claiming they can't afford to feed themselves.

I agree with the MP saying, more people need to learn how to cook home made healthy meals at home, instead of wasting money on takeaway and prepared frozen foods.

The last labour government made it more beneficial to be on benefits than working. Now this government is going the opposite way. In trying to be tough on people who can and won't work. Its attack on the benefits sector is creating a lot of collateral damage, to people genuinely in difficulty. Like pensioners, disabled, people caring for relatives etc.

Instead of trying to understand there genuinely people suffering at the moment, this the shite they come out with. All to protect the the party.

By *ayturners turn hayMan  over a year ago

Wellingborugh

You are correct. But I also hope that you are not so bereft of brain cells to realise that the legislation, and the specialist professional services industry designed to support and navigate the taxation system are in ‘cahoots’ to keep this complex systems of legal loopholes such that it benefits the few at the expense of the masses?

I say this as someone who benefits from the loopholes. But I’m not so hypocritical, dense and socially unaware as to state that being simply legal does not make them fair or frankly moral.

The poor and lower earners get well and truly shafted. But this is by design. This why those with the means make political contributions, exert influence, support lobbying, empower social mediia engineering and pay specialist to maintain that advantage.

Can we not at least acknowledge that? "

How can you say that the poor and lower earners get well and truly shafted. What about all the benefits that they receive such as Universal Credit and various other allowances . Some posters on here would do well to try and mix with the less well off in society in order to obtain an objective assessment of what they actually receive. We look after the less well off very well. There are currently in excess of 500,000 mobility vehicles and vast sums are spent on housing benefits. We need to match how much people use services with taxes paid. Any clamp down on taxes paid and removal of incentives tends to result in less tax bring collected overall.

Some people do very well out of making receiving benefits their career choice . Interest a survey was completed on peoples views on taxation, when those who favoured higher rates of taxation were handed a form to sign in order to allow them to pay more tax to HMRC not one single person completed the form .

By *AFKA HovisMan  over a year ago

Sindon Swingdon Swindon

Keen to see the background to this experiment Tom. Where did you read about it ?

Would have to teach the little buggers how to use a sink or a dishwasher though or the’d soon run out of crockery! "

hahaha too true

That's pathetic

2/3 of the world survive on a $1 a day. Why are the poor over here more deserving? "

They are not, but as a G7 country we should expect people to live like this.

» Add a new message to this topic