FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > Politics > Boris in N.Ireland

Boris in N.Ireland

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *V-Alice OP   TV/TS  over a year ago

Ayr

Oddly enough, I wish him well. The people of N.Ireland deserve a functioning government again.

That said, I think he's got quite a task on his hands. The DUP probably despise him even more than I do.

Obviously, the whole NIP stramash (Google it, if you don't understand), is one of his own making because he's an incompetent liar. This is an opportunity for him to make amends.

As for wanting to alter a treaty, possibly breaking international law and risking a trade war with the EU, just because "circumstances have changed"; seems a thin excuse.

Mind you, if your reputation is so pitifully low; why not? What do you have to lose?

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *oo hotCouple  over a year ago

North West

[Removed by poster at 16/05/22 07:37:20]

North West

"Oddly enough, I wish him well. The people of N.Ireland deserve a functioning government again.

That said, I think he's got quite a task on his hands. The DUP probably despise him even more than I do.

Obviously, the whole NIP stramash (Google it, if you don't understand), is one of his own making because he's an incompetent liar. This is an opportunity for him to make amends.

As for wanting to alter a treaty, possibly breaking international law and risking a trade war with the EU, just because "circumstances have changed"; seems a thin excuse.

Mind you, if your reputation is so pitifully low; why not? What do you have to lose?"

Putting Northern Ireland to bed was probably the greatest legacy of Tony Blair’s regime. It put to bed more than 30 years of armed violence and years and years before that of tension and sectarianism.

The last series of troubles started in the late 1960’s and was initiated by Extreme Unionists attacking the Northern Ireland Civil Rights Association and the RUC effectively turning a blind eye to the persecution of the Nationalist. British troops first arrived in N Ireland, not to suppress the IRA - but to suppress Unionist attacks on what they saw as a Nationalist front causing disruption.

Of course we all now know how the next 30 years panned out. It is just important to remember that it all started last time with intransigent unionists - and lasted a bloody thirty years afterwards.

Johnson is facing intransigent unionism again and he is making some huge gambles in trying to cover up the lies he told in 2019. Playing with fire is a very apt metaphor.

The issue is that he doesn’t possess the gravitas and the sincerity to carry off his game plan and I suspect that it is more likely than not to backfire.

That said, I think that fortunately the Nationalists in N Ireland have moved on as they see the winning line in the distance anyway. Unfortunately, Unionism has not moved on and I wonder just how deep the senior Unionists are going to dig their heels in and whether a younger generation of unionist thugs might choose to make this intransigence more obvious.

By *ealthy_and_HungMan  over a year ago

Princes Risborough, Luasanne, Alderney

shame his statesmanship has as much gravitas as two clowns having a custard pie fight in a paddling pool full of banana skins.

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

Tony Blair lied to both sides got a cease-fire and then shafted everyone

luckily due to the blair government, 25 years of peace broke out .... until last friday when the political wing of unionist terror groups took their ball home on the gravy train.

By *al2001Man  over a year ago

kildare

"Tony Blair lied to both sides got a cease-fire and then shafted everyone "

How so

By *AFKA HovisMan  over a year ago

Sindon Swingdon Swindon

lying because you think the ends justify the means .... And then shafting everyone ... Deja vu?

By *I TwoCouple  over a year ago

Cookstown

"luckily due to the blair government, 25 years of peace broke out .... until last friday when the political wing of unionist terror groups took their ball home on the gravy train."

And the IRA took their ball home and refused to play because of an Irish language act lol

North West

"luckily due to the blair government, 25 years of peace broke out .... until last friday when the political wing of unionist terror groups took their ball home on the gravy train.

And the IRA took their ball home and refused to play because of an Irish language act lol"

What? The Irish Language Act is the very definition of recognising equal rights and sits fairly alongside the right to have an Irish passport, or a British one - or both.

North West

Good grief.

I can’t wait to hear this story….

Drum roll…..

Cookstown

"luckily due to the blair government, 25 years of peace broke out .... until last friday when the political wing of unionist terror groups took their ball home on the gravy train.

And the IRA took their ball home and refused to play because of an Irish language act lol

What? The Irish Language Act is the very definition of recognising equal rights and sits fairly alongside the right to have an Irish passport, or a British one - or both."

And no border between GB and Northern Ireland is just as important to the DUP so if one can protest then people shouldn't wet wet the bed when the other side uses the same tactics.

I am actually in supprt of both the Irish language and no Irish sea border.

Unfortunately the DUP and Sinn Fein will always have to come out on opposite sides no matter what the argument. I'm genuinely surprised one side or the other hasn't come out in support of Russia .... Maybe we are making progress.

By *eroy1000Man  over a year ago

milton keynes

"Oddly enough, I wish him well. The people of N.Ireland deserve a functioning government again.

Mind you, if your reputation is so pitifully low; why not? What do you have to lose?"

In a way this is what worries me about the NI situation. You only need one side to cause problems and as long as there is a side that does not get it's way then violence is a possible outcome. Even if when NI unites with the republic I fear the unionist side will continue the violence in an attempt to break away again. Bombs in places like Dublin on a regular basis. I do hope I am badly mistaken

By *lixerMan  over a year ago

Glasgow

Johnson is a waster. I hate him more than I can say on here. I so hope that Ireland ends this disgrace called the United Kingdom.

No Monarchy. No Westminster. No UK.

when the unionists are pushed down to being a third division political ideology by the the alliance party at the next election then their opinion will count for zero.

By *rench letterCouple  over a year ago

Chorley,

"Johnson is a waster. I hate him more than I can say on here. I so hope that Ireland ends this disgrace called the United Kingdom.

No Monarchy. No Westminster. No UK."

Very well said.

By *heBirminghamWeekendMan  over a year ago

here

"Johnson is a waster. I hate him more than I can say on here. I so hope that Ireland ends this disgrace called the United Kingdom.

No Monarchy. No Westminster. No UK."

No ferries?

No Monarchy. No Westminster. No UK.

No ferries?"

How do you feel about sleep and NYC Districts beginning with a B?

By *bernathCouple  over a year ago

Gloucestershire

Has anyone noticed that when the tories are in power that the other countries in the UK want to leave?

I am sure if they weren’t, then the case for the union would be certain.

Boris has lost our union, and he will pay for it at the ballot box.

By *ancy38Woman  over a year ago

galway

Mind you, if your reputation is so pitifully low; why not? What do you have to lose?

In a way this is what worries me about the NI situation. You only need one side to cause problems and as long as there is a side that does not get it's way then violence is a possible outcome. Even if when NI unites with the republic I fear the unionist side will continue the violence in an attempt to break away again. Bombs in places like Dublin on a regular basis. I do hope I am badly mistaken"

There will one day be a united ireland but there won't be a return to the troubles. The loyalists weren't know for making many bombs. Any bomb they did make that was effective, the Brits help make them. Tge Brits won't be helping again.

North West

“He doesn’t know the protocol,

he hasn’t read his own bill,

he doesn’t know his stuff”

Ed Milliband v Boris Johnson

September 2020

As true now as it was then

johnski spent long enough banging on about this deal being oven ready etc ....

Cookstown

In a way this is what worries me about the NI situation. You only need one side to cause problems and as long as there is a side that does not get it's way then violence is a possible outcome. Even if when NI unites with the republic I fear the unionist side will continue the violence in an attempt to break away again. Bombs in places like Dublin on a regular basis. I do hope I am badly mistaken

There will one day be a united ireland but there won't be a return to the troubles. The loyalists weren't know for making many bombs. Any bomb they did make that was effective, the Brits help make them. Tge Brits won't be helping again. "

Unfortunately making stuff up doesn't make it true and it doesn't make you appear clever, quite the opposite.

By *ovebjsMan  over a year ago

Bristol

There will one day be a united ireland but there won't be a return to the troubles. The loyalists weren't know for making many bombs. Any bomb they did make that was effective, the Brits help make them. Tge Brits won't be helping again. "

Remind us who the IRA were ? You know the ones setting the bombs that killed people!

Car bombs, hotel bombs ect.

North West

[Removed by poster at 17/05/22 10:36:55]

North West

"

Remind us who the IRA were ? You know the ones setting the bombs that killed people!

"

800 years of colonial occupation and oppression ended in 1920 for most of the island of Ireland, but part of it was kept (stolen) by the colonialists and claimed as their own because they had colonised that bit with their own people.

40% of the people in the stolen land objected to this partition and spent the next 40+ years objecting peacefully. For their efforts, they were discriminated against and victimised by "Loyalists" and the UK Government itself. Beatings, oppression and active discrimination conducted by Loyalists were part of the day to day life from 1920 onwards.

Finally, in 1960 the Northern Ireland Civil Rights movement came into being as a peaceful way of championing the rights of the oppressed Irish communities in Northern Ireland. Loyalist thugs saw this as the Irish getting above themselves and weeks of rioting, attacks, house clearings and beatings of Catholics were undertaken by Loyalist thugs. The situation got so bad that British soldiers were sent to Northern Ireland to "protect" the Catholic Nationalists.

It soon became clear that many of the soldiers were in cahoots with the RUC and the Loyalists and this was the trigger for the once defunct IRA, to reappear, re-arm and re-engage with their struggle.

It is all very well to identify the IRA as bombers and murderers, yes they were.

But historical context is important and sadly most British people have no idea whatsoever about the history of Ireland and exactly why the IRA came back to life in the 1960s and why they then engaged in their murderous, bloody campaign.

Boris Johnson is flippantly playing a very, very dangerous game. If we see a return to any sort of trouble in Ireland - the UK will not have a friend in the world to turn to.

The whole world - apart from the Brexit loving Brits - knew that peace had been made viable because both Ireland and the UK were both in the European Single Market and Customs and so the Irish could feel as Irish as they wanted to be and the Loyalists could feel as British as they wanted to feel. The British changing that status quo because of vain self-interest was a play straight out of the old conial handbook... "We are British, we will do what we want."

kildare

There will one day be a united ireland but there won't be a return to the troubles. The loyalists weren't know for making many bombs. Any bomb they did make that was effective, the Brits help make them. Tge Brits won't be helping again.

Unfortunately making stuff up doesn't make it true and it doesn't make you appear clever, quite the opposite."

How clever is it you posting this shite and you living in ni.

Ignorance personified.

Surely you know about the dirty war fought by the brit army and loyalist paramilitaries combined which led to deaths of many innocents and bombings,including in South.

kildare

"

No one in the world needs reminding of who the brit army was and is,you know the ones that killed so many around the world.

Brits have been bombing and shooting innocent people for centuries and still are today.

NI is just a tiny dot on the map of destruction and murder the brits waged across the world.

No one needs reminding except the brits themselves

Their is a very calculated reason why it isn't mandatory for brit schools to teach their young about their horrific past.

Cookstown

No one in the world needs reminding of who the brit army was and is,you know the ones that killed so many around the world.

Brits have been bombing and shooting innocent people for centuries and still are today.

NI is just a tiny dot on the map of destruction and murder the brits waged across the world.

Their is a very calculated reason why it isn't mandatory for brit schools to teach their young about their horrific past.

"

Not that that justified the slaughter of innocent people by the cowards of the IRA hiding in the shadows. Is that on the syllabus in the republic ?

Maybe it's time to start living in the present and looking to the future ?

North West

"

Maybe it's time to start living in the present and looking to the future ?"

So do you forgive the historical murderous actions of the IRA over thirty years (1968 - 1998) as you equally forgive the murderous actions of the British over the previous eight hundred years?

kildare

Not that that justified the slaughter of innocent people by the cowards of the IRA hiding in the shadows. Is that on the syllabus in the republic ?

Yes.i learned about the Northern Irish civil rights movement and the birth of the provo ira.

Genuine question,was it part of your history in school?

I agree we have to look to our bright future,but learning about the past is part of that.

Cookstown

Yes.i learned about the Northern Irish civil rights movement and the birth of the provo ira.

I agree we have to look to our bright future,but learning about the past is part of that.

"

No, I lived through it, I didn't need to listen to or read the fairy stories.

kildare

No, I lived through it, I didn't need to listen to or read the fairy stories."

So much for looking to the future.

Looks and sounds very like your past brother.

Cookstown

No, I lived through it, I didn't need to listen to or read the fairy stories.

So much for looking to the future.

Looks and sounds very like your past brother."

You put a lot of thought into that one ?

You seem obsessed with folklore so enjoy ...

By *ovebjsMan  over a year ago

Bristol

So it seems like most here are happy to just let the import/export problems to just keep on rolling along wit all of the problems that people in the Northern Ireland are living with then?

50 years and counting of brextremist bitching and moaning .... even after they got the hardest possible brexit they wanted they are still bitching and moaning

Sindon Swingdon Swindon

"So it seems like most here are happy to just let the import/export problems to just keep on rolling along wit all of the problems that people in the Northern Ireland are living with then?"
1) what problems. The DUP are coming from a point of principle rather than some real life data (as far as I can see). This is a genuine question, as I'm not close enough to NI to fully understand it

B) what is the better solution being proposed. This mess has come from us knowing what we don't want (being in the EU) without knowing what we do want. We create our own burning platform and then complain when it smells of piss when that's the only way we can put it out

theres absolutely no problem with the NI protocol. the problem lies with the botched deal that the incompetent idiot brextremists in government brokered.

milton keynes

Well I hope that's correct. Personally I would not rely on a hope that they can't make or learn to make bombs. Sounds risky to me but fingers crossed

North West

"So it seems like most here are happy to just let the import/export problems to just keep on rolling along wit all of the problems that people in the Northern Ireland are living with then?"

What problems are they then? Do you have statistical information or are you relying what “many people are saying?”

Business people have got the best deal in the world in NI as they are still part of the Single Market and so have a big edge over their U.K. based counterparts.

The noise is coming solely from Loyalist Politicians and no-one else.

By *V-Alice OP   TV/TS  over a year ago

Ayr

The DUP aren't interested in the future - because they know they don't have one.

They want to remain in a past where their entitlement to rule is never under any question.

They're even more Tory than the Tories, that way.

Certainly, they believe they're worth damaging the UK economy for.

Luckily for them, the current UK Government believe they are, too. Probably because they have so much contempt for the electorate that they'll just blame the EU and expect that to be sufficient.

By *ob198XaMan  over a year ago

teleford

The numbers are clear, Ireland will eventually reunify. Given the challenges this will create it might be better just to get it done sooner rather than later.

By *ackal1Couple  over a year ago

Manchester

"So it seems like most here are happy to just let the import/export problems to just keep on rolling along wit all of the problems that people in the Northern Ireland are living with then?

What problems are they then? Do you have statistical information or are you relying what “many people are saying?”

Business people have got the best deal in the world in NI as they are still part of the Single Market and so have a big edge over their U.K. based counterparts.

The noise is coming solely from Loyalist Politicians and no-one else."

Unfortunately nearly half their trade is with GB so the impact of barriers and subsequent costs are hurting business in NI just as they are from England, Scotland and Wales to the EU. In addition they have to pay for the longer route into the EU on top as the U.K. land bridge is far to costly and messy now.

I’m sorry for posting this 2 min video twice but it’s worth watching as it shows the utter contempt with which our prime minister has treated the people of NI. It was all about him and nothing more. He didn’t give a shit and as the video shows he definitely knew this was going to be a problem but denied it.

https://youtu.be/Dqjo1z3HeRg

By *ancy38Woman  over a year ago

galway

"The numbers are clear, Ireland will eventually reunify. Given the challenges this will create it might be better just to get it done sooner rather than later. "

Sindon Swingdon Swindon

"So it seems like most here are happy to just let the import/export problems to just keep on rolling along wit all of the problems that people in the Northern Ireland are living with then?

Unfortunately nearly half their trade is with GB so the impact of barriers and subsequent costs are hurting business in NI just as they are from England, Scotland and Wales to the EU. In addition they have to pay for the longer route into the EU on top as the U.K. land bridge is far to costly and messy now.

I’m sorry for posting this 2 min video twice but it’s worth watching as it shows the utter contempt with which our prime minister has treated the people of NI. It was all about him and nothing more. He didn’t give a shit and as the video shows he definitely knew this was going to be a problem but denied it.

"

Dumb q. Why is the Irish sea border making the land bridge more expensive ? I though we weren't doing checks, so that bit is fine. Dover on the other hand ...

Manchester

Dumb q. Why is the Irish sea border making the land bridge more expensive ? I though we weren't doing checks, so that bit is fine. Dover on the other hand ..."

It’s Hobson choice. They go via U.K. and Dover and checks done before exporting from the U.K.

or they take the longer ferry route.

Both are now more expensive .

U.K. route due to export customs and transport price increases due to delays both ways ie U.K. to EU and U.K. mainland to NI.

Ferry route just a longer more expensive route but without any customs checks. I’ve used the second route and it’s easier as there’s no paperwork at all. That was last year so it may have changed but I don’t think so.

By *ayturners turn hayMan  over a year ago

Wellingborugh

"The numbers are clear, Ireland will eventually reunify. Given the challenges this will create it might be better just to get it done sooner rather than later. "
. With polls showing support for a United Ireland at around 35 % we can safely assume it is highly unlikely to happen. People are hardly going to vote to pay for every visitor to the Doctor or to make themselves worse off. The bottom line is a lot of people in NI realise that financially they are a lot better off remaining in the UK. People may not admit it publicly but financial security is very important and the NI economy is highly dependent on the public sector. As things stand the combined vote of parties which support the Union exceeds that of Nationalists.

" As things stand the combined vote of parties which support the Union exceeds that of Nationalists. "

hi, thanks for the reply. your data seems to be out of date by a number of years or decades possibly. what is important is how people vote on the day and on the 5th of may the overwhelming silent majority of nationalist voters secured the premiership for nationalist representatives, pushing the unionists into being merely a highly vocal minority.

[Removed by poster at 22/05/22 05:38:32]

So many experts on the troubles in N.ireland from England ,perhaps they should stand for public office and sort out the knife and gun crime in England

By *TMA that man againMan  over a year ago

worester

"luckily due to the blair government, 25 years of peace broke out .... until last friday when the political wing of unionist terror groups took their ball home on the gravy train."

You do know that all the "hard yards" were done by the previous government under John Major.

Blair simply walked in, dotted a few I's, crossed a T or two and took the credit.

As for current situation goods moving from rest of UK for use in NI should not need paperwork and pose no threat to EU border or to the peace/Good Friday agreement. Goods from UK going into Eire don't go through NI anyway...it's the long way round!

The EU know this but are just being political to punish UK for leaving and to put others off.

Sindon Swingdon Swindon

You do know that all the "hard yards" were done by the previous government under John Major.

Blair simply walked in, dotted a few I's, crossed a T or two and took the credit.

As for current situation goods moving from rest of UK for use in NI should not need paperwork and pose no threat to EU border or to the peace/Good Friday agreement. Goods from UK going into Eire don't go through NI anyway...it's the long way round!

The EU know this but are just being political to punish UK for leaving and to put others off.

"

what's the quick route from UK to RoI?

Totally agree the eu are making a mountain out off a molehill

"

"

is this pre-referendum brextremist claptrap really still being peddled by the unionist doom mongers?

"

It was all in deal, agreed and signed by Boris

Sindon Swingdon Swindon

It was all in deal, agreed and signed by Boris "

imagine being punished in a game where you hold all the cards.

Amazed noone is looking to hold someone accountable for such a balls up.

milton keynes

"

I think your right about john major starting this and doing a lot of work on it before Tony Blair was elected. Most politicians acknowledge that.

For the goods going to NI from UK I assume the fear is that although they are intended for use in NI there is nothing to stop them being taken in ROI. Could end up with something like 'for use in the UK only' being put on everything

By *tooveMan  over a year ago

belfast

Putting Northern Ireland to bed was probably the greatest legacy of Tony Blair’s regime. It put to bed more than 30 years of armed violence and years and years before that of tension and sectarianism.

The last series of troubles started in the late 1960’s and was initiated by Extreme Unionists attacking the Northern Ireland Civil Rights Association and the RUC effectively turning a blind eye to the persecution of the Nationalist. British troops first arrived in N Ireland, not to suppress the IRA - but to suppress Unionist attacks on what they saw as a Nationalist front causing disruption.

Of course we all now know how the next 30 years panned out. It is just important to remember that it all started last time with intransigent unionists - and lasted a bloody thirty years afterwards.

Johnson is facing intransigent unionism again and he is making some huge gambles in trying to cover up the lies he told in 2019. Playing with fire is a very apt metaphor.

The issue is that he doesn’t possess the gravitas and the sincerity to carry off his game plan and I suspect that it is more likely than not to backfire.

That said, I think that fortunately the Nationalists in N Ireland have moved on as they see the winning line in the distance anyway. Unfortunately, Unionism has not moved on and I wonder just how deep the senior Unionists are going to dig their heels in and whether a younger generation of unionist thugs might choose to make this intransigence more obvious."

Lol. Humourous that.

belfast

Another clueless bigot. If you're going to post at least have a clue what you're posting about.

belfast

Lol. Daft wee sectarian bigot posting nonsense. You won't live to see a united ireland.

Could they not push the Brits that are squatting back to Scotland?

Wellingborugh

Another clueless bigot. If you're going to post at least have a clue what you're posting about."

. The type of post to which you refer always amuses me . A lot of people fail to realise that support for the union in Northern Ireland vastly exceeds that for a United Ireland . At maximum only 35 % support a United Ireland so we can be fairly confident that it will never happen.

Wellingborugh

Lol. Daft wee sectarian bigot posting nonsense. You won't live to see a united ireland."

. Well said . Opinions polls only show support as being around 35 % so we can safely forget about the concept . Who would vote to pay for the health service and lose £10 billion pounds of subsidy. It is hardly an attractive proposition to many people

By *TMA that man againMan  over a year ago

worester

what's the quick route from UK to RoI? "

Holyhead - Dublin. Look on a map?

Sindon Swingdon Swindon

what's the quick route from UK to RoI?

Holyhead - Dublin. Look on a map?"

and why wouldnt I use this route going to NI?

I wonder if the EU aren't worried about how traffic flows today, but in the future if there was a backdoor.

"The type of post to which you refer always amuses me . A lot of people fail to realise that support for the union in Northern Ireland vastly exceeds that for a United Ireland . At maximum only 35 % support a United Ireland so we can be fairly confident that it will never happen. "

hi and thanks for the reply. you probably mean that what's important is how people vote on the day, which is why you will find that since the 5th of may, nationalists are now in the majority in northern ireland and the unionist movement has been relegated to a third division ideology. luckily sinn fein now have the mandate to name the country's premier and peaceful progressive nationalist politics is pushing the country forward to a brighter future. hope this helps.

"The type of post to which you refer always amuses me . A lot of people fail to realise that support for the union in Northern Ireland vastly exceeds that for a United Ireland . At

maximum only 35 % support a

United Ireland so we can be fairly confident that it will never happen.

hi and thanks for the reply. you probably mean that what's important is how people vote on the day, which is why you will find that since the 5th of may, nationalists are now in the majority in northern ireland and the unionist movement has been relegated to a third division ideology. luckily sinn fein now have the mandate to name the country's premier and peaceful progressive nationalist politics is pushing the country forward to a brighter future. hope this helps. "

Nationalist do have the largest share off the vote but its still below 30% that leave 70% who didn't vote for them

belfast

"Could they not push the Brits that are squatting back to Scotland? "

Would you say the same about the Irish, Asians, Africans etc in the UK?

Disgusting pathetic comment by a racist idiot.

belfast

Another clueless bigot. If you're going to post at least have a clue what you're posting about.. The type of post to which you refer always amuses me . A lot of people fail to realise that support for the union in Northern Ireland vastly exceeds that for a United Ireland . At maximum only 35 % support a United Ireland so we can be fairly confident that it will never happen. "

They just think like bigots.

belfast

"The type of post to which you refer always amuses me . A lot of people fail to realise that support for the union in Northern Ireland vastly exceeds that for a United Ireland . At maximum only 35 % support a United Ireland so we can be fairly confident that it will never happen.

hi and thanks for the reply. you probably mean that what's important is how people vote on the day, which is why you will find that since the 5th of may, nationalists are now in the majority in northern ireland and the unionist movement has been relegated to a third division ideology. luckily sinn fein now have the mandate to name the country's premier and peaceful progressive nationalist politics is pushing the country forward to a brighter future. hope this helps. "

A vast majority want to remain in the UK. The only people who vote sinn fein or dup are bigots.

"The type of post to which you refer always amuses me . A lot of people fail to realise that support for the union in Northern Ireland vastly exceeds that for a United Ireland . At maximum only 35 % support a United Ireland so we can be fairly confident that it will never happen.

hi and thanks for the reply. you probably mean that what's important is how people vote on the day, which is why you will find that since the 5th of may, nationalists are now in the majority in northern ireland and the unionist movement has been relegated to a third division ideology. luckily sinn fein now have the mandate to name the country's premier and peaceful progressive nationalist politics is pushing the country forward to a brighter future. hope this helps.

A vast majority want to remain in the UK. The only people who vote sinn fein or dup are bigots. "

hi, thanks for the reply. what is important is how people vote on the day and on may 5th the overwhelming majority voted for nationist representation thus giving a mandate for re-unification. hope this helps.

By *rDiscretionXXXMan  over a year ago

Gilfach

"what is important is how people vote on the day and on may 5th the overwhelming majority voted for nationist representation thus giving a mandate for re-unification. hope this helps. "

The figures were 353,908 votes for nationalist parties, and 349,227 for unionist parties. That's a majority, but only just. It's hardly overwhelming, and that doesn't count the 25,315 votes for independents, who could lean either way.

The figure of 353,908 comes from adding up all the votes for Sinn Fein, SDLP, Aontu, People Before Profit, Irish Republican Socialist, and Workers Party of Ireland.

The figure of 349,227 comes from adding up all the votes for DUP, UUP, TUV, PUP, NI Conservatives, and Heritage.

Hope this helps.

Sindon Swingdon Swindon

"what is important is how people vote on the day and on may 5th the overwhelming majority voted for nationist representation thus giving a mandate for re-unification. hope this helps.

The figures were 353,908 votes for nationalist parties, and 349,227 for unionist parties. That's a majority, but only just. It's hardly overwhelming, and that doesn't count the 25,315 votes for independents, who could lean either way.

The figure of 353,908 comes from adding up all the votes for Sinn Fein, SDLP, Aontu, People Before Profit, Irish Republican Socialist, and Workers Party of Ireland.

The figure of 349,227 comes from adding up all the votes for DUP, UUP, TUV, PUP, NI Conservatives, and Heritage.

Hope this helps."

he's using the approach of.oyher posters here who point to overwhelming Brexit and Tory votes as a way of baiting threads.

Cookstown

"what is important is how people vote on the day and on may 5th the overwhelming majority voted for nationist representation thus giving a mandate for re-unification. hope this helps.

Hope this helps."

Didn't you miss a party ?

Gilfach

"he's using the approach of.oyher posters here who point to overwhelming Brexit and Tory votes as a way of baiting threads. "

Yes he is, but I find that calling people out with the facts tends to make them stop posting inflammatory nonsense. Unless they're just arguing for the sake of it, in which case it makes them pivot to a new approach.

Let's hope that sanity wind out this time shall we.

"Didn't you miss a party ?"

I did leave out Alliance, Green, Labor Alternative, Socialist, and Resume, since they all state that they are neither nationalist or unionist.

Cookstown

"he's using the approach of.oyher posters here who point to overwhelming Brexit and Tory votes as a way of baiting threads.

Yes he is, but I find that calling people out with the facts tends to make them stop posting inflammatory nonsense. Unless they're just arguing for the sake of it, in which case it makes them pivot to a new approach.

I did leave out Alliance, Green, Labor Alternative, Socialist, and Resume, since they all state that they are neither nationalist or unionist."

So their voters wouldn't have a say in a referendum then lol

Gilfach

"So their voters wouldn't have a say in a referendum then lol"

Of course they would. But since the parties don't have a stance on nationalism, you can't know whether their voters would be for or against it.

That means that when the fellow above said "the overwhelming majority voted for nationist" (sic), he obviously shouldn't be including the views from those parties.

Cookstown

"So their voters wouldn't have a say in a referendum then lol

Of course they would. But since the parties don't have a stance on nationalism, you can't know whether their voters would be for or against it.

That means that when the fellow above said "the overwhelming majority voted for nationist" (sic), he obviously shouldn't be including the views from those parties."

Definitely NOT an overwhelmingly majority and not a true representation of what people would like it to be but some can't help making the figures for the agenda lol

Wellingborugh

. I think you are making a very dangerous assumption if you think that all nationalists would vote for a United Ireland

Wellingborugh

"he's using the approach of.oyher posters here who point to overwhelming Brexit and Tory votes as a way of baiting threads.

I did leave out Alliance, Green, Labor Alternative, Socialist, and Resume, since they all state that they are neither nationalist or unionist.

So their voters wouldn't have a say in a referendum then lol"

. The split of support by these parties followers would appear to be as below .

The vast majority of self-identified nationalists supported a united Ireland and the vast majority of unionists were against. But there was also a clear majority against unification among people who defined themselves as neither, with 73% saying they would support remaining in the United Kingdom.

Wellingborugh

We cabn safely forget about a United Ireland based on the survey.

Indeed, it is the supposed imminence of a border poll on Irish unity which underlies much of the excitement, but this is completely misplaced. Polls put support for Irish unity variously at between 25% and 45% with the probable truth somewhere around 30%. This would mean a two-to one victory for remaining in the union in the unlikely event of a border poll being called. Like the SNP in Scotland, Sinn Fein will huff and puff about a border poll to keep the issue alive but cannot risk an actual referendum without clear polling support for their position. The Sinn Fein leadership in Dublin hopes for a poll with five years.

Gilfach

"But there was also a clear majority against unification among people who defined themselves as neither, with 73% saying they would support remaining in the United Kingdom."

Where does that information come from?

So their voters wouldn't have a say in a referendum then lol. The split of support by these parties followers would appear to be as below .

The vast majority of self-identified nationalists supported a united Ireland and the vast majority of unionists were against. But there was also a clear majority against unification among people who defined themselves as neither, with 73% saying they would support remaining in the United Kingdom."

Should the rest if the UK get a vote on whether to dump the 6 counties? They could still go it alone if they did not want to be part of RoI.

Cookstown

So their voters wouldn't have a say in a referendum then lol. The split of support by these parties followers would appear to be as below .

The vast majority of self-identified nationalists supported a united Ireland and the vast majority of unionists were against. But there was also a clear majority against unification among people who defined themselves as neither, with 73% saying they would support remaining in the United Kingdom.

Should the rest if the UK get a vote on whether to dump the 6 counties? They could still go it alone if they did not want to be part of RoI. "

And London should get a vote if they want to dump the rest of England that they subsidise maybe ?

Should the rest if the UK get a vote on whether to dump the 6 counties? They could still go it alone if they did not want to be part of RoI.

And London should get a vote if they want to dump the rest of England that they subsidise maybe ?"

Nothing wrong with a Federal concept or some form of canton system. Works for Switzerland.

Regions would Make a fortune selling Water and power to London

Federal ireland makes sense 4 provinces this was suggested years ago and dublin and the the terrorists in the South wouldn't discuss it

Manchester

And London should get a vote if they want to dump the rest of England that they subsidise maybe ?"

Think when you actually study that the subsidy is the other way.

"We cabn safely forget about a United Ireland based on the survey.

Indeed, it is the supposed imminence of a border poll on Irish unity which underlies much of the excitement, but this is completely misplaced. Polls put support for Irish unity variously at between 25% and 45% with the probable truth somewhere around 30%. This would mean a two-to one victory for remaining in the union in the unlikely event of a border poll being called. Like the SNP in Scotland, Sinn Fein will huff and puff about a border poll to keep the issue alive but cannot risk an actual referendum without clear polling support for their position. The Sinn Fein leadership in Dublin hopes for a poll with five years."

hi, thanks for the reply. i think that you will find that polls are unimportant and can safely be ignored. what is important is how people vote on the day and on may the fifth the silent majority overwhelmingly voted nationalist. luckily we now have a republican lead administration in northern ireland who will move the country forward to a bright future. hope this helps

[Removed by poster at 26/05/22 05:20:13]

Gilfach

"what is important is how people vote on the day and on may the fifth the silent majority overwhelmingly voted nationalist."

That's exactly what you said in your last post, and it was pointed out to you that the nationalist / unionist vote was split 50.33 to 49.67.

That is not an overwhelming majority.

Cookstown

"We cabn safely forget about a United Ireland based on the survey.

Indeed, it is the supposed imminence of a border poll on Irish unity which underlies much of the excitement, but this is completely misplaced. Polls put support for Irish unity variously at between 25% and 45% with the probable truth somewhere around 30%. This would mean a two-to one victory for remaining in the union in the unlikely event of a border poll being called. Like the SNP in Scotland, Sinn Fein will huff and puff about a border poll to keep the issue alive but cannot risk an actual referendum without clear polling support for their position. The Sinn Fein leadership in Dublin hopes for a poll with five years.

hi, thanks for the reply. i think that you will find that polls are unimportant and can safely be ignored. what is important is how people vote on the day and on may the fifth the silent majority overwhelmingly voted nationalist. luckily we now have a republican lead administration in northern ireland who will move the country forward to a bright future. hope this helps "

And as has been said, that's your interpretation of the vote and you're welcome to your opinion.

The facts are totally different lol

By *odge72Man  over a year ago

Nenagh

"Federal ireland makes sense 4 provinces this was suggested years ago and dublin and the the terrorists in the South wouldn't discuss it "

A federal ireland was never discussed at any point

As for “the the terrorists in the south”

Do you mean those who wanted an independent free Ireland ?

» Add a new message to this topic