FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > Politics > Express readers not happy!

Express readers not happy!

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *irldn OP   Couple  over a year ago

Brighton

94% of Express readers aren't happy with how Brexit is going

“We haven’t got the Brexit we voted for”

Oh dear. What about Boris “Get Brexit Done” Johnson and his promises?

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *ackal1Couple  over a year ago

Manchester

Scarily some of the readers stated they would still vote the same way even though it’s not what they voted for. Our lack of investment in education really does need addressing.

By *ostafunMan  over a year ago

near ipswich

get over it don’t let it ruin your life. I would hazard a guess that the majority of people don’t even think about brexit these days

By *ulaMan  over a year ago

Hitchin

Cant you get over yet we left ?

By *olly_chromaticTV/TS  over a year ago

Stockport

"Cant you get over yet we left ?"

We might have left, but Johnson is still negotiating! Complaining about the shit deal that some fool called Boris campaigned for, wrote down, told everyone how fantastic it was, ignored every piece of advice about any flaws in it, forced through parliament with as little oversight as possible, and personally signed as a binding international treaty!

By *ealthy_and_HungMan  over a year ago

Princes Risborough, Luasanne, Alderney

somebody better tell the conservative and unionist party government because they're all in belfast bitching and moaning about how bad the brexit they say that they've delivered, is right now.

By *AFKA HovisMan  over a year ago

Sindon Swingdon Swindon

we should probably get on with checking goods then.

I suspect many of us are over it. We are just amazed how bad the Tories are managing to handle this. And further amazed that ppl are backing him despite this.

I can no longer work out if people voted for "this" or are secretly pissed that it's been handled so badly.

I used to think Brexit would be studies by historians. Now I think it will be studies by behavioural scientists.

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

Does the average Express reader understand percentages?

"94% of Express readers aren't happy with how Brexit is going

Oh dear. What about Boris “Get Brexit Done” Johnson and his promises?"

They knew what they voted for , apparently

Oh dear. What about Boris “Get Brexit Done” Johnson and his promises?

They knew what they voted for , apparently "

Is that in the same way that Boris & Co knew what deal they negotiated, or what the lockdown rules were? Knowledge can be quit malleable it seems!

By *ohnnyTwoNotesMan  over a year ago

golden fields

" get over it don’t let it ruin your life. I would hazard a guess that the majority of people don’t even think about brexit these days "

I don't think they thought about brexit beforehand either. That's the problem! Lol.

golden fields

Are you talking to Express readers, or people who discuss the impact of brexit?

By *oo hotCouple  over a year ago

North West

These would be people who thought that “no deal” was the optimum outcome so that they would never have to hear about Europe or the EU ever again.

It’s startling that even with Johnson’s deal, negotiations with the EU will be ongoing in perpetuity, as each side squabbles with other (contrary to the claim about getting Brexit done).

A no deal outcome simply intensifies and adds more complexity to those same negotiations.

It is mind-blowing how some people still seem to hang their hats on the no deal outcome as being the most preferential.

Brighton

You gotta love the “go to” for Brexit supporters who even now, cannot admit they made a mistake.

They shouted at Remainers that all the warnings were just “project fear” but pretty much everything is coming true so “project reality”.

The economy is shot. The impact of Brexit DOUBLE the impact of the pandemic. The trade deals that we may eventually secure are looking likely to be to the detriment to UK consumers and producers (flooding our market with sub standard produce).

But hey Remainers “get over it”

We told you, you not only didn’t listen but told us we were wrong. We were right.

By *iman2100Man  over a year ago

Glasgow

I put that in the same box as "Take back control".

I am guessing if you had a penis tattoo and it went septic and it fell off you would shrug and say "Can't you get over it? It fell off"

You must allow those that did not believe Boris and the leavers lies to moan now their worse fears are coming true. It will be 20+ years before we get back to where we were before Brexit. Jacob Rees-Mogg is happy though. He moved his whole operation to Singapore.

Manchester

" get over it don’t let it ruin your life. I would hazard a guess that the majority of people don’t even think about brexit these days "

And yet you complained about the EU having entertainment on your own thread ! Why are you bothered ? Tut tut !

Remainers don’t care about how the EU entertain themselves and help the arts in Europe no matter how bizarre. Have you seen any Morris men lately or the state opening of parliament with all the guys in white tights and ermine ?

As for not thinking about it . That’s a bit hard to do when it’s costing so much and there are no benefits as promised.

Also people are still concerned about Boris constant lies about the whole NI protocol.

One thing to really take note of is as he clearly states in the video these border checks are adding barriers and costs to trade which are harming business.

Those barriers and checks are being implemented daily on our border with the mainland EU.

Those costs which are damaging as he clearly states are being ignored and swept under the carpet. If it’s damaging trade with the small marker in NI imagine the damage it’s doing across the channel and North Sea.

Anyway just a nice short video on the liar in chief.

https://youtu.be/Dqjo1z3HeRg

Is this the PM we should just get over?

People still read this crap in papers?

By *hetalkingstoveMan  over a year ago

London

It's almost like the majority of Brexiters never understood what Brexit would actually mean, and just wanted to stick two fingers up at the nasty foreigners.

Brighton

"It's almost like the majority of Brexiters never understood what Brexit would actually mean, and just wanted to stick two fingers up at the nasty foreigners. "

Quite a few just wanted to stick two fingers up at the establishment and in particular David Cameron and George Osborne who were both pushing for remain. A lot were protest voting against austerity.

Express readers never seem happy. Probably because they read the Express. That paper is frothing at the mouth insane.

Manchester

"Express readers never seem happy. Probably because they read the Express. That paper is frothing at the mouth insane."

This made me laugh out loud .. Thanks

golden fields

"It's almost like the majority of Brexiters never understood what Brexit would actually mean, and just wanted to stick two fingers up at the nasty foreigners.

Quite a few just wanted to stick two fingers up at the establishment and in particular David Cameron and George Osborne who were both pushing for remain. A lot were protest voting against austerity."

Sadly not realising it would lead to more austerity.

Brighton

I think where many in the Remain camp (me included) got it wrong was not really trying to understand why people actually wanted to vote Leave.

Bring fair, many Leave voters couldn’t articulate it. Many were manipulated. Many thought it was patriotic. But Remainers generally lampooned and ridiculed causing people to entrench and double down.

Also to be fair the referendum was ADVISORY and didn’t actually have to be acted on! Without any question of doubt, there should have been a two stage process:

1) Vote Remain or Leave the EU

2) How should we leave/what type of relationship should we have (keeping door open for EEA, single market etc)

I have a lot of respect for people I know who have now, with hindsight, admitted they made a mistake, for whatever reason. A lot of Leave voters I know would vote Remain now.

Those who continue to blindly support despite overwhelming evidence on the damage being caused, I have less respect for. Except those willing to admit they they personally are doing/will be doing well out of Brexit and they don’t care about everyone else - well for them I don’t like your morals but fair play to you!

Manchester

A lot of people haven’t benefited from the boost Europe has given us as the country has historically been bias towards London and the south east.

So investment has been heavily skewered . As a result people in some Midlands and Northern area and I include Wales here have not seen any improvement in their lot. They are no better off due to the total lack of serious investment that London has received.

Government policy has robbed the rest of this country so as they have seen no benefits they have possibly thought why not vote out . They have told me I will be better off and for decades this area is going nowhere.

The fact that the Tory party has been in power for most of the past four decades shows who’s really to blame but Europe was the Tories scapegoat.

12 years of Conservative rule and we have the biggest ever waiting lists in hospitals the highest taxes for working people and less disposable income . Business is struggling to cope with costs due to Brexit and Covid ( less so with Covid now).

So rather than address the problems the government focus on refugees being sent to Rwanda and blame the EU for intransigence rather than the governments total incompetence with the economy.

10 MILLION people who live and work in this country weren’t born here and yet the government are screaming and shouting about 20-30k immigrants arriving by boat . It needs putting in perspective . It’s not a big issue at all for the economy. In fact immigrants create wealth and contribute to tax more than they take. We also need the workers to support our ageing population.

The issue is blown up because of the right wing bigots of the Tory party who are anti any immigration . It’s their rallying call for the readers of the daily Mail and Express. Don’t look at the state we are in as a country due to our fuck ups look at those boat people robbing your tax and jobs . Yes just like the Europeans robbed your taxes and jobs .. Only they didn’t . That is now blatantly clear to see for anyone who can read facts.

I

By *rDiscretionXXXMan  over a year ago

Gilfach

"Remainers generally lampooned and ridiculed causing people to entrench and double down."

This.

At an early stage, remainders started to call leavers 'obviously racist', and then kept shutting down discussion. That sort of behaviour does tend to divide people.

"Also to be fair the referendum was ADVISORY and didn’t actually have to be acted on!"

I disagree. If you have a referendum, you have to honour the result.

A second referendum on the method would have just resulted in no clear result. The remainers would have tried to get a result as close to remain as possible. The leavers would have blamed the remainders for 'trying to get the first referendum cancelled', and the while thing would have resulted in a stalemate. I suspect there would have been civil unrest from both sides after a while.

Manchester

"Remainers generally lampooned and ridiculed causing people to entrench and double down.

This.

At an early stage, remainders started to call leavers 'obviously racist', and then kept shutting down discussion. That sort of behaviour does tend to divide people.

Also to be fair the referendum was ADVISORY and didn’t actually have to be acted on!

A second referendum on the method would have just resulted in no clear result. The remainers would have tried to get a result as close to remain as possible. The leavers would have blamed the remainders for 'trying to get the first referendum cancelled', and the while thing would have resulted in a stalemate. I suspect there would have been civil unrest from both sides after a while."

I tend to disagree with your last point. I think a leave win came as a shock to the EU and they would have been open to discussions.

My only question is, what would we have asked for?

Payment? We were on a cheap deal. Immigrants? We always had the choice to close the borders.

Blue Passports? Yes we could have those etc etc. Trading standards? We have to abide by the market we’re selling to. We’ve accepted Australia’s lower food standards to complete a quick trade deal. To trade we have to work to the customer or whoever has the most leverage in the discussion.

So I’m struggling to see what we would have negotiated for that we couldn’t have already other than political independence . Economic independence is impossible. That’s the same for any country in the world that trades with another country. Global business norms dictates that.

Summing up. Leaving looks more and more pointless .

As I said I do understand the leave voters who were desperately hoping the future promised was real. It isn’t. It’s going to be worse than where they started.

Brighton

"Remainers generally lampooned and ridiculed causing people to entrench and double down.

This.

Also to be fair the referendum was ADVISORY and didn’t actually have to be acted on!

A second referendum on the method would have just resulted in no clear result. The remainers would have tried to get a result as close to remain as possible. The leavers would have blamed the remainders for 'trying to get the first referendum cancelled', and the while thing would have resulted in a stalemate. I suspect there would have been civil unrest from both sides after a while."

You can disagree but it doesn’t change the legal status of the referendum. It was Advisory. The fact that it was so close means it simply wasn’t cut n dry.

However, they wouldn’t/shouldn’t have ignored it, they SHOULD have had a second referendum on the manner of the future relationship. The fact that you concede there would be no clear result shows the flaw in the original referendum as it was too complex for a binary decision. Basically the Leave vote was totally split o what that meant, and still are today!

Gilfach

"The fact that you concede there would be no clear result shows the flaw in the original referendum as it was too complex for a binary decision."

What I mean is that we would have spent months, if not years, arguing about what the second referendum question should be. I suspect it would have come down to 'customs Union - in or out'. At that point, with Brexit not yet done, and the downsides not yet apparent, I suspect that all the remainders would have voted 'in', and all the leavers would have voted 'out'. Whichever side won, I would expect that, after years of arguing, the losing side would be up in arms about it.

"Express readers never seem happy. Probably because they read the Express. That paper is frothing at the mouth insane.

This made me laugh out loud .. Thanks "

Same!

By *airyjMan  over a year ago

dumfries and 24 in France

Yup we remainers were right. It is a shithole of a mess and I'm glad I took the decision to move to France where we have adults running the country!

I tried to read the paper once out of curiosity. 5 minutes later, it felt like I'd spent hours headbutting a wall while severely hungover.

By *ealthy_and_HungMan  over a year ago

Princes Risborough, Luasanne, Alderney

aren't express readers just racist idiots though?

Brighton

"The fact that you concede there would be no clear result shows the flaw in the original referendum as it was too complex for a binary decision.

What I mean is that we would have spent months, if not years, arguing about what the second referendum question should be. I suspect it would have come down to 'customs Union - in or out'. At that point, with Brexit not yet done, and the downsides not yet apparent, I suspect that all the remainders would have voted 'in', and all the leavers would have voted 'out'. Whichever side won, I would expect that, after years of arguing, the losing side would be up in arms about it."

There would always be some continuing to argue, but I honestly believe if there had been a two stage referendum, many remainers would have been less angry if then given a chance to help decide the nature of the future relationship. Many would (begrudgingly) accept Norway EEA type arrangement. Only hardline brexiters wanted no-deal type approach.

Manchester

A delay would have brought a lot more younger voters in to play too. Whilst a lot of empire dreaming elderly might not be with us. Perhaps forward thinking common sense rather than emotional historic attachments would have subsequently prevailed.

One thing I never understood, was the slogan taking back control of our borders.

My reading of it was, the leavers wanted to stop immigration to the UK from the EU with border checks, but not on goods and trade.

But even that would have required a Irish border, which would have been against the Good Friday Agreement. But if don't have check there, what's to stop a Romanian flying into Dublin, crossing the Irish border and getting a ferry to Liverpool.

By *ornucopiaMan  over a year ago

Bexley

I was shown a cartoon yesterday, which I very much doubt was from the Express, which said:

'Please can we have our country back from the people who wanted our country back'!

Gilfach

"My reading of it was, the leavers wanted to stop immigration to the UK from the EU with border checks..."

I don't think many people wanted to stop Europeans coming here, they just wanted to be able to get rid of those that turned out to be 'undesirable'.

Brighton

"My reading of it was, the leavers wanted to stop immigration to the UK from the EU with border checks...

I don't think many people wanted to stop Europeans coming here, they just wanted to be able to get rid of those that turned out to be 'undesirable'."

Not really. Plenty of British people complained about being undercut, especially builders, decorators, electricians and plumbers from Poland etc

Sindon Swingdon Swindon

This.

while I don't disagree with how it probably would have played out, i struggle to see why if remainers plus 5pc of leavers voted for a soft brexit, that a soft Brexit was the wrong answer.

This is the trouble with our system ATM. Lose a vote and your voice is discounted. And then the winning side listen to their majority when making decisions. So the extreme third/quarter get to rule over the majority. Divide and conquer.

By *ayturners turn hayMan  over a year ago

Wellingborugh

Do you actually read the Daily Express or have you just posted a few highlights without looking at the article in more detail.? Brexit was a long time ago now and life has moved on . The economic cost impact would appear to be minimal and there are significant long term gains to be had. In any project you would usually capitalise the set up costs and match it against the long term savings . Adjustments to the Protocol will resolve any issues associated with NI.

Sindon Swingdon Swindon

Oh dear. What about Boris “Get Brexit Done” Johnson and his promises? Do you actually read the Daily Express or have you just posted a few highlights without looking at the article in more detail.? Brexit was a long time ago now and life has moved on . The economic cost impact would appear to be minimal and there are significant long term gains to be had. In any project you would usually capitalise the set up costs and match it against the long term savings . Adjustments to the Protocol will resolve any issues associated with NI. "

I wish life had moved on. But we are still talking about NIP and still haven't out full checks in place. TBF, that's not because if Brexit. That's because HMG is incompetent. Although TBF there have been some distractions preventing them from completing their project....

Edam. Cheddar. Wensleydale.

Oh dear. What about Boris “Get Brexit Done” Johnson and his promises? Do you actually read the Daily Express or have you just posted a few highlights without looking at the article in more detail.? Brexit was a long time ago now and life has moved on . The economic cost impact would appear to be minimal and there are significant long term gains to be had. In any project you would usually capitalise the set up costs and match it against the long term savings . Adjustments to the Protocol will resolve any issues associated with NI.

I wish life had moved on. But we are still talking about NIP and still haven't out full checks in place. TBF, that's not because if Brexit. That's because HMG is incompetent. Although TBF there have been some distractions preventing them from completing their project....

Edam. Cheddar. Wensleydale. "

Not to mention a few parties!

Oh dear. What about Boris “Get Brexit Done” Johnson and his promises? Do you actually read the Daily Express or have you just posted a few highlights without looking at the article in more detail.? Brexit was a long time ago now and life has moved on . The economic cost impact would appear to be minimal and there are significant long term gains to be had. In any project you would usually capitalise the set up costs and match it against the long term savings . Adjustments to the Protocol will resolve any issues associated with NI. "

The economic cost impact is minimal? Really? Then why is Brexit costing us a fortune?

Brighton

Oh dear. What about Boris “Get Brexit Done” Johnson and his promises? Do you actually read the Daily Express or have you just posted a few highlights without looking at the article in more detail.? Brexit was a long time ago now and life has moved on . The economic cost impact would appear to be minimal and there are significant long term gains to be had. In any project you would usually capitalise the set up costs and match it against the long term savings . Adjustments to the Protocol will resolve any issues associated with NI.

The economic cost impact is minimal? Really? Then why is Brexit costing us a fortune?

"

Ignore Pat he is trolling.

The OBR have been clear that Brexit is twice as damaging to the economy as the pandemic and will create a permanent negative impact on UK GDP. They’re not the only ones. Not only about money either, the social damage and impact on workers rights and food standards are all coming if this Govt has its way.

Singapore on Thames!

Manchester

Boris states the checks and delays are causing massive costs and harm to business in Northern Ireland. Funny how virtually the same delays and subsequent costs on trade from the U.K. to the EU don’t raise a comment from our government.

They are causing massive harm but receive no attention.

It’s the same issue so shy isn’t Boris visiting Brussels to try and sort it?

The problem is financially much bigger.

Oven ready ,, more like burning the house down.

golden fields

"Boris states the checks and delays are causing massive costs and harm to business in Northern Ireland. Funny how virtually the same delays and subsequent costs on trade from the U.K. to the EU don’t raise a comment from our government.

Oven ready ,, more like burning the house down. "

In fairness. They achieved what they wanted, the damages to the UK is inconsequential to Boris et al.

They know they'll get reelected without even pretending to give a shit.

Brighton

"Boris states the checks and delays are causing massive costs and harm to business in Northern Ireland. Funny how virtually the same delays and subsequent costs on trade from the U.K. to the EU don’t raise a comment from our government.

In fairness. They achieved what they wanted, the damages to the UK is inconsequential to Boris et al.

They know they'll get reelected without even pretending to give a shit. "

Follow the money. The individuals are making bank since being elected. For themselves and their friends, families, cronies and donors (masters). Brexit was always about a few making even more money. The pandemic was an opportunistic crooks wet dream. The disaster capitalists are laughing at their good fortune and the gullibility of a large section of the British public.

Wonder if the Red Wall who voted blue (to get Brexit done) are wondering what happened to all that “levelling up”. Quite interesting to see which constituencies have been getting funding and which haven’t!

Manchester

They know they'll get reelected without even pretending to give a shit.

Follow the money. The individuals are making bank since being elected. For themselves and their friends, families, cronies and donors (masters). Brexit was always about a few making even more money. The pandemic was an opportunistic crooks wet dream. The disaster capitalists are laughing at their good fortune and the gullibility of a large section of the British public.

Wonder if the Red Wall who voted blue (to get Brexit done) are wondering what happened to all that “levelling up”. Quite interesting to see which constituencies have been getting funding and which haven’t! "

The so called new levelling up money is still a fraction of what was cut from local government so they are still worse off over the last 12 years. As usual they won’t mention that. It like the new policemen which has now reached half of what they cut. ‘We have recruited an “extra” ten thousand officers.’

The blind faithful still lap it up and vote for them time and time again.

How many times in the last fourth years have the Tory party said we are introducing policy changes to make the working families better off? Are they? Are you? According to the Times the richest 250 families in the U.K. have been getting substantially richer. That includes above a pro-rata richer every single year even during austerity. Why is that if as they claim we’re all in it together? Don’t we have a fair tax system in our society? Oh yes that’s correct we don’t.

» Add a new message to this topic