FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > Politics > Conservatives really that stupid?

Conservatives really that stupid?

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *rFunBoy OP   Man  over a year ago

Longridge

So, over the last few weeks, charities and media have shown concerns that the £150 Council Tax rebate will NOT reach those it was intended for, due to:

1) not having Direct Debit set which is either due to being unable to have a bank account or not setting up to allow better control over finances.

2) living in rented property where the landlord will receive and pocket the rebate instead of being passed on to the Tennant.

On top of this, the Direct Debit payments which are already weeks late due to Council "system changes and checks".

So, tomorrow, they are set to announce further help via the Council Tax route that again, will more than likely will never get to those it is intended for.

FFS. Don't know about piss up's in Downing Street, but none of then could run a piss up in a brewery.

Or has the wine got to their simple minds?

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *rDiscretionXXXMan  over a year ago

Gilfach

"So, over the last few weeks, charities and media have shown concerns ..."

Charities and the media always have concerns. Let's not start panicking until it actually happens.

"due to: 1) not having Direct Debit set"

Local authorities don't have the best record for ability, but I'm sure even they can work out a method of coping with people that don't have bank accounts.

"2) living in rented property where the landlord will receive and pocket the rebate instead of being passed on to the Tennant."

If your landlord is paying your council tax for you, you are in a really good position already.

By *estivalMan  over a year ago

borehamwood

Dont pay mine by direct debit so went on the councils website thursday evening last week filled the details in that they wanted sent pic of my last bank statement with my account number and sort code on checked my account yesterday and im 150 quid up was a piece of piss to do

By *ostafunMan  over a year ago

near ipswich

I guess it depends on the local council we have a tory one and the rebates have all been handed out in april apparently.

By *harlieandMontyCouple  over a year ago

Seaton

We dont pay by direct debit just went on the council website and got them to take £150 off next months council tax payment, all very simple.

Longridge

[Removed by poster at 25/05/22 19:30:56]

Longridge

And if your landlord pays the council tax?

It is a cost of living rebate, not a council tax rebate. So, intended for the occupant, not the landlord or has that been misunderstood.

- it is irrelevant whether the landlord or tenant paid it or whether or not it is included in the rent.

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

Is being in council tax band D or lower now a definition of poverty?

Seems an odd mechanism to use.

Gilfach

"And if your landlord pays the council tax?"

Then you've got a really stupid landlord.

The occupant is legally required to pay the council tax. Why would any landlord pay a bill he doesn't have to, whilst also exposing himself to legal risk?

By *eroy1000Man  over a year ago

milton keynes

I was not on direct debit either and the council sent me a letter asking me to fill out an online form on their site. It was quick and easy. Within 5 days I had an email saying my claim was accepted and the money would be deducted from my council tax bill. Not sure it could have been much easier

By *mateur100Man  over a year ago

nr faversham

OP doesn't seem to be winning this one

By *V-AliceTV/TS  over a year ago

Ayr

"I guess it depends on the local council we have a tory one and the rebates have all been handed out in april apparently."

I don't have a tory one - thank fuck - and I got my rebate automatically. No action on my part required.

Longridge

[Removed by poster at 26/05/22 00:08:17]

Longridge

"And if your landlord pays the council tax?

Then you've got a really stupid landlord.

The occupant is legally required to pay the council tax. Why would any landlord pay a bill he doesn't have to, whilst also exposing himself to legal risk?"

Really?

"If a landlord has a number of tenants with individual tenancy agreements then he or she becomes responsible for paying the council tax. In other words, if there are four people each renting a room separately then the bill for the council tax will go to the landlord" 7 Mar 2022

Not quite sure making a 'statement' was any kind of invitation to a battle to 'win'.

Gilfach

"If a landlord has a number of tenants with individual tenancy agreements then he or she becomes responsible for paying the council tax."

I'd forgotten about "shared facility HMOs".

But that only applies to people that rent a single room in a house, and share a kitchen with the other occupants. The only people that do that are students, and students are already exempt from council tax, so they wouldn't benefit from a reduction.

By *olly_chromaticTV/TS  over a year ago

Stockport

"If a landlord has a number of tenants with individual tenancy agreements then he or she becomes responsible for paying the council tax.

I'd forgotten about "shared facility HMOs".

But that only applies to people that rent a single room in a house, and share a kitchen with the other occupants. The only people that do that are students, and students are already exempt from council tax, so they wouldn't benefit from a reduction."

There are many single people with limited income that live like this, not just students. Job that pays enough that they don't have to live on the street, but not enough to rent an apartment.

Even entire families these days that find themselves living in a single room.

Gilfach

"There are many single people with limited income that live like this, not just students."

I had to do some research, and it looks like I was mistaken.

When I investigated HMOs (some time ago), my local council wouldn't accept applications unless each room had 'cooking facilities' and 'washing facilities'. This would have met the VOAs definition of a separate dwelling, and so the occupant would have had to pay council tax.

Looking around now it seems that some local authorities are more lax in their licensing requirements. It seems that some will allow "shared facility" HMOs for permanent occupation.

I have no idea how prevalent this is.

Longridge

Think people are missing the point..

It is a 'cost of living rebate', not a 'council tax rebate' just that council tax is being used as a conduit.

It is meant to help with:

Energy

Food

Travel

Water

And other essentials that prices have increased, even tampons.

Regardless of whether they pay council tax, the households that should be entitled, should also be covered and this is a fail.

Students have living costs, as do many singles living in large houses split onto flats. They also, should be treated equally.

4 occupants of a large house in Didsbury, Manchester, in shared accommodation, get either a quarter or nothing depending on the landlord acting fairly or not. If the landlord was of kind character, they'd still only be getting a quarter.

It should have been individual payments of an average value and national insurance rate being the factor to calculate the value, not council tax band, as an example.

What if you live on a static caravan park where no council tax is payable due to closing 6 weeks of the year- are these people getting anything?

» Add a new message to this topic