FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > Politics > News paper of the year

News paper of the year

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *ayturners turn hay OP   Man  over a year ago

Wellingborugh

The Daily Mail has triumphed at the annual Press Awards, regarded as the Oscars of British journalism, by winning Newspaper of the Year. The judges said that in the 'seismic year' of Brexit, the Mail was a 'must-read' across the political spectrum with a 'strong and provocative voice' that dominated the narrative and never wavered.

The Mail on Sunday has left its rivals trailing after scooping four coveted Press Awards – more than any other Sunday newspaper.

Judges awarding the accolades – the Oscars of British journalism – heaped praise on the agenda-setting stories and fearless commentary that have made The Mail on Sunday the UK's biggest-selling Sunday newspaper.

They said our journalism was 'at the top of its game' and applauded our 'highly successful package of exclusives, campaigns and hard-hitting stories, offering something for all'.

Katie Hind winning Showbiz Reporter Of The Year for her 'enviable exclusives that had real-world impact and continued to make headlines days after they originally broke';

Ian Birrell, whose exceptional investigations won him Feature Writer Of The Year in the Popular features category, with judges awed by how he was 'always an advocate for the voiceless';

Craig Brown, who was named Critic Of The Year for his 'erudite, amusing and knowledgeable' pieces which are 'much more than book reviews';

Liz Jones, winning Columnist Of The Year in the Popular category for her 'irresistible and delightfully indiscreet' confessions in You magazine every Sunday that 'leave the reader desperate for the next instalment'.

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *heNerdyFembyWoman  over a year ago

Eastbourne (she/they)

"The Daily Mail has triumphed at the annual Press Awards, regarded as the Oscars of British journalism, by winning Newspaper of the Year. The judges said that in the 'seismic year' of Brexit, the Mail was a 'must-read' across the political spectrum with a 'strong and provocative voice' that dominated the narrative and never wavered.

The Mail on Sunday has left its rivals trailing after scooping four coveted Press Awards – more than any other Sunday newspaper.

Judges awarding the accolades – the Oscars of British journalism – heaped praise on the agenda-setting stories and fearless commentary that have made The Mail on Sunday the UK's biggest-selling Sunday newspaper.

They said our journalism was 'at the top of its game' and applauded our 'highly successful package of exclusives, campaigns and hard-hitting stories, offering something for all'.

Katie Hind winning Showbiz Reporter Of The Year for her 'enviable exclusives that had real-world impact and continued to make headlines days after they originally broke';

Ian Birrell, whose exceptional investigations won him Feature Writer Of The Year in the Popular features category, with judges awed by how he was 'always an advocate for the voiceless';

Craig Brown, who was named Critic Of The Year for his 'erudite, amusing and knowledgeable' pieces which are 'much more than book reviews';

Liz Jones, winning Columnist Of The Year in the Popular category for her 'irresistible and delightfully indiscreet' confessions in You magazine every Sunday that 'leave the reader desperate for the next instalment'.

"

And they did this all while being the least credible and least factually accurate mainstream paper in the UK.

Makes you wonder how credible the awards are to be honest...

By *ohnnyTwoNotesMan  over a year ago

golden fields

"The Daily Mail has triumphed at the annual Press Awards, regarded as the Oscars of British journalism, by winning Newspaper of the Year. The judges said that in the 'seismic year' of Brexit, the Mail was a 'must-read' across the political spectrum with a 'strong and provocative voice' that dominated the narrative and never wavered.

"

Copy and pasted from the Daily Mail itself.

I think you've scored an own goal here. Lol

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

You do know that they all get their turn at these things?

By *etsdancenowMan  over a year ago

brighton

I wouldn't wipe my arse on it .

By *leasure domMan  over a year ago

Edinburgh

The nazi-supporting Daily Heil, a propaganda rag advocating for the interests of millionaire tax dodgers - how wonderful.

"

Eastbourne (she/they)

So when the DM comes up people mention it is the most popular as though that means that it makes it better in some way.

I made apost which closed my thread about how that is ridiculous, using music and literature as examples.

But then something else occured to me on the flip side.

You know if the most popular = the best... That makes Joe biden the best President the US has ever had...

It also makes Hilary Clinton a better president than Trump and she didn't even get the job.

In fact the only time a Republican has been "better" in the last 30 years by this metric was George W Bush in his second term.

Anyway this is just a musing based on the silly notion that popularity = worth.

I posted this on another thread. Feels v relevant here, too:

Wiki banned the Mail as a source, because they decided it was too unreliable.

"So when the DM comes up people mention it is the most popular as though that means that it makes it better in some way.

I made apost which closed my thread about how that is ridiculous, using music and literature as examples.

You know if the most popular = the best... That makes Joe biden the best President the US has ever had...

It also makes Hilary Clinton a better president than Trump and she didn't even get the job.

In fact the only time a Republican has been "better" in the last 30 years by this metric was George W Bush in his second term.

Anyway this is just a musing based on the silly notion that popularity = worth."

Good point, the people of the USA did vote Biden as the best ever president, that can not be disputed

By *uddy laneMan  over a year ago

dudley

"I posted this on another thread. Feels v relevant here, too:

Wiki banned the Mail as a source, because they decided it was too unreliable."

Is that wikileaks.

Is that wikileaks. "

Wikipedia actually.

Eastbourne (she/they)

Is that wikileaks.

Wikipedia actually."

To be fair I dont think wikileaks would consider the DM a valid source either...

Is that wikileaks.

Wikipedia actually.

To be fair I dont think wikileaks would consider the DM a valid source either..."

But in fairness, the Mail is thoroughly absorbent in a crisis. Worth remembering if the price of toilet paper goes up too much.

golden fields

"

Have you ever looked at the DM? You seem to be an ardent supporter.

By *uddy laneMan  over a year ago

dudley

Is that wikileaks.

Wikipedia actually."

I thought Wikipedia was an open platform to allow anyone to post.

Have you ever looked at the DM? You seem to be an ardent supporter."

I think it’s just a Trump fan and a Boris fan supporting each other at this difficult time for them both , Birds of feather etc

Is that wikileaks.

Wikipedia actually.

I thought Wikipedia was an open platform to allow anyone to post."

I gather they require accurate sources + checking. Hence the Mail getting banned.

golden fields

Have you ever looked at the DM? You seem to be an ardent supporter.

I think it’s just a Trump fan and a Boris fan supporting each other at this difficult time for them both , Birds of feather etc "

True. Trump was "Americas Brexit". A collective act of self harm.

By *bernathCouple  over a year ago

Gloucestershire

Dail Mail fanboy Hayturners turn hay,

I think he actually works for the paper, possibly a reporter or a paper boy, thinks he can get a scoop.

Maybe he is that piss head Peter Hitchens, it’s an open secret that he is a raging alcoholic on Fleet Street.

By *V-AliceTV/TS  over a year ago

Ayr

The Oscars are a load of self congratulatory bullshit and they always have been.

If, as the OP suggests, The Press Awards are "the Oscars of British journalism", then the comparison certainly applies.

By the way, any awards to any newspaper are based on the opinions of a very small number of people, rather than any provable merit; certainly not on any indisputable, positive contribution to society.

A lot like the Tories choose their leaders, as it happens.

"So when the DM comes up people mention it is the most popular as though that means that it makes it better in some way.

Good point, the people of the USA did vote Biden as the best ever president, that can not be disputed "

And yet fox the number 1 news outlet.

Good point, the people of the USA did vote Biden as the best ever president, that can not be disputed "

Oh and CNN one of Bidens ardent supporters all of sudden changing their support. Guess the on the wrong side of the isle now too.

Eastbourne (she/they)

Fox news, you have to respect a "news" company whose own layers say you cannot believe the "facts" their #1 show tells you.

Fox really is the US equivalent of the DM

Successfully hoodwinking the gullible masses with lies and misinformation. Then convincing them that they are the ones who are right!

"Fox news, you have to respect a "news" company whose own layers say you cannot believe the "facts" their #1 show tells you.

Successfully hoodwinking the gullible masses with lies and misinformation. Then convincing them that they are the ones who are right!"

Yet cnn all over the president policies too. Which news source is the acceptable one ?

Eastbourne (she/they)

[Removed by poster at 19/07/22 01:37:53]

Eastbourne (she/they)

"Fox news, you have to respect a "news" company whose own layers say you cannot believe the "facts" their #1 show tells you.

Successfully hoodwinking the gullible masses with lies and misinformation. Then convincing them that they are the ones who are right!

Yet cnn all over the president policies too. Which news source is the acceptable one ? "

I think you seem to be under the mistaken impression I think Biden is actually good... he is just less bad that the Trump Stain

You really need someone who isn't right wing in charge! (in my opinion)

But to answer your question

Fox News

Bias: Right Factual Reporting Mixed/Questionable Credibility: Medium

CNN

Bias: Left Factual Reporting Mixed Credibility: Medium

So CNN is better than Fox

By *eavenNhellCouple  over a year ago

carrbrook stalybridge

"I wouldn't wipe my arse on it .

"

i wouldnt line a litter tray with it

By *wisted999Man  over a year ago

North Bucks

I admire the Mail for having the balls to put Stephen Lawrence’s killers faces on the front page naming them and telling them to sue the paper if they were wrong.

Other than that the boxing page is sometimes alright.

Good point, the people of the USA did vote Biden as the best ever president, that can not be disputed

Oh and CNN one of Bidens ardent supporters all of sudden changing their support. Guess the on the wrong side of the isle now too. "

Bit but but, he got the most votes, so he must be the best

By *rDiscretionXXXMan  over a year ago

Gilfach

"The Daily Mail has triumphed at the annual Press Awards..."

Annoyingly, this story is impossible to fact check, since no one else has reported it. Even The Society of Editors, the people that give the awards, have not published the results on their website.

We'll have to wait till the results get officially published before we can find out how misleading the story is.

Gilfach

It looks like Hayturners is taking a leaf out of the Mail's playbook, by not mentioning that the story above is about the 2020 Press Awards. This story is just over a year old.

By *irldnCouple  over a year ago

Brighton

"It looks like Hayturners is taking a leaf out of the Mail's playbook, by not mentioning that the story above is about the 2020 Press Awards. This story is just over a year old."

Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha

golden fields

"It looks like Hayturners is taking a leaf out of the Mail's playbook, by not mentioning that the story above is about the 2020 Press Awards. This story is just over a year old."

He's actually trolling the people who keep defending the DM by demonstrating how easily confused and misdirected they are.

By *otMe66Man  over a year ago

Terra Firma

Wiki banned the Mail as a source, because they decided it was too unreliable."

I see this response a lot and it puzzles me.

Wikipedia, is an unreliable source. It is one unreliable source, saying another unreliable source, is unreliable.

Then we have the comments about MSN, they are unreliable according to many.

It leaves me thinking, there is no news source that is reliably going to present the views and political bias of the masses.

So it is all unreliable unless you agree with it.

By *I TwoCouple  over a year ago

all around

Wikipedia, is an unreliable source. It is one unreliable source, saying another unreliable source, is unreliable.

It leaves me thinking, there is no news source that is reliably going to present the views and political bias of the masses.

So it is all unreliable unless you agree with it."

I'd agree with that except I read it on the internet so I have to be sceptical

That is why it is important not to rely on one or two news sources,

You can decide to distrust anything you want. But unlike the Mail, wiki actually shows its sources. By contrast, the Mail seems to just make shit up.

Terra Firma

You can decide to distrust anything you want. But unlike the Mail, wiki actually shows its sources. By contrast, the Mail seems to just make shit up.

"

Terra Firma

That is why it is important not to rely on one or two news sources, "

Dare I say it, from differing views? How the world looks in 3D is pretty different than 2D.

Dare I say it, from differing views? How the world looks in 3D is pretty different than 2D. "

If they're generally factual + sourced, sure thing. The problem is that the Mail really doesn't care about facts.

Dare I say it, from differing views? How the world looks in 3D is pretty different than 2D. "

In my opinion, every news source has slightly or more obvious differing views, sky is different to the BBC, itv , channel 4 , GB News etc etc .

golden fields

This only makes sense if the different perspectives are based in fact and aren't deliberately misleading.

Would you give the same weight to what I have to say about black hole formation, as you would have given to Stephen Hawking?

By *leasure domMan  over a year ago

Edinburgh

It's ironic that freedom of the press, vital in a democracy, provides a licence for a handful of bad actors to undermine our democracy, such as it is.

Terra Firma

Dare I say it, from differing views? How the world looks in 3D is pretty different than 2D.

This only makes sense if the different perspectives are based in fact and aren't deliberately misleading.

Would you give the same weight to what I have to say about black hole formation, as you would have given to Stephen Hawking? "

Not being an expert or having any grounding in a subject is a good question when it comes to news articles and information found on the internet.

The obvious answer to your question is Hawking, however if you were to tell me something about black holes, I would take that information with a pinch of salt. Unless the subject was important to me, I'm not interested in getting involved in proving someone right or wrong.

Now, if it was important to me I would make sure I had applied enough due diligence to enter into a reasonable conversation with you.

And this in my opinion is why we see so much tit for tat on all social platforms, people aren't interested so much in the facts, more about winning an argument from a predetermined outcome and lack of real knowledge.

golden fields

Would you give the same weight to what I have to say about black hole formation, as you would have given to Stephen Hawking?

Not being an expert or having any grounding in a subject is a good question when it comes to news articles and information found on the internet.

The obvious answer to your question is Hawking, however if you were to tell me something about black holes, I would take that information with a pinch of salt. Unless the subject was important to me, I'm not interested in getting involved in proving someone right or wrong.

Now, if it was important to me I would make sure I had applied enough due diligence to enter into a reasonable conversation with you.

And this in my opinion is why we see so much tit for tat on all social platforms, people aren't interested so much in the facts, more about winning an argument from a predetermined outcome and lack of real knowledge. "

Absolutely.

You haven't been trained to blindly believe.

My opinion,is that we need to teach kids in school how to understand information presented to them. In the ways you mentioned. And checking sources etc.

If we did that, problem solved.

By *bernathCouple  over a year ago

Gloucestershire

And yet fox the number 1 news outlet. "

Well what do you expect, people like dramas and reality tv, I’ve seen American news channels, they remind me of an episode of the real housewives of Orange County , with all music in the background. I suspect they pay their sound guys big bucks to ramp up the music when a cat is stuck in a tree or something.

I am suprised that Fox hasnt won an Emmy for best tv series or drama category yet. Having Tucker Carlson accepting an award for best actor in a made up series would do wonders for his street cred.

Eastbourne (she/they)

"My opinion,is that we need to teach kids in school how to understand information presented to them. In the ways you mentioned. And checking sources etc.

If we did that, problem solved."

But didnt you know that what you just described is "falling for the propaganda of the global leftist elite" - better just read the DM

Eastbourne (she/they)

And in today's issue of the "Newspaper of the Year" they accuse the Met office of being "Woke" because they...

*checks notes*

... did their job and issued a weather warning for adverse weather...

By *ouple in LancashireCouple  over a year ago

in Lancashire

"And in today's issue of the "Newspaper of the Year" they accuse the Met office of being "Woke" because they...

*checks notes*

... did their job and issued a weather warning for adverse weather..."

They really are a shower of shit..

By *ealthy_and_HungMan  over a year ago

Princes Risborough, Luasanne, Alderney

the article the OP has cut'n'pasted is out of date by 5½ years (16th March 2017)

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/home/article-4318338/Daily-Mail-crowned-Newspaper-Year-Press-Oscars.html

Eastbourne (she/they)

"the article the OP has cut'n'pasted is out of date by 5½ years (16th March 2017)

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/home/article-4318338/Daily-Mail-crowned-Newspaper-Year-Press-Oscars.html"

But I thought Newspaper of the YEAR was a lifetime award?

golden fields

"And in today's issue of the "Newspaper of the Year" they accuse the Met office of being "Woke" because they...

*checks notes*

... did their job and issued a weather warning for adverse weather..."

How do they link warning people about the hot weather conditions to people who are against racism?

That's fucking bizarre, even by their extremely low standards.

Eastbourne (she/they)

*checks notes*

How do they link warning people about the hot weather conditions to people who are against racism?

That's fucking bizarre, even by their extremely low standards. "

No idea but woke appeared multiple times in the article.

*checks notes*

No idea but woke appeared multiple times in the article."

According to the mail it is woke to heed any advice from experts, wearing a hat , putting on sun cream drinking water , all woke in their demented world

By *ustintime69Man  over a year ago

Bristol

"the article the OP has cut'n'pasted is out of date by 5½ years (16th March 2017)

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/home/article-4318338/Daily-Mail-crowned-Newspaper-Year-Press-Oscars.html"

That’s hilarious - he’s definitely a bot!

in Lancashire

Thats quite acceptable for him..

in Lancashire

He's hiding lol..

By *ealthy_and_HungMan  over a year ago

Princes Risborough, Luasanne, Alderney

he's clearly ignorant due to being mis-informed daily by his choice of fringe-newspaper

Gilfach

The first paragraph in the OP is from that 2017 Daily Mail article, but the rest of it is from a 2021 Sunday Mail article detailing the 2020 Press Awards winners. https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-9799041/Mail-Sunday-scoops-FOUR-awards-Press-Oscars-Sunday-newspaper.html

Hayturners has brilliantly demonstrated how the Mail likes to deceive its readers. The first paragraph talks about "the seismic year of Brexit", which everyone will assume is 2020. In fact that quote was from the 2017 awards, and it actually refers to 2016.

in Lancashire

"he's clearly ignorant due to being mis-informed daily by his choice of fringe-newspaper "

Needs to do more analysis..

Eastbourne (she/they)

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/home/article-4318338/Daily-Mail-crowned-Newspaper-Year-Press-Oscars.html

That’s hilarious - he’s definitely a bot! "

Here is the thing Bots aren't usually THIS wrong. I think "really bad satire" is more plausible.

Terra Firma

*checks notes*

No idea but woke appeared multiple times in the article."

Okay... I have just read the mail, thanks..

I found no trace of the word WOKE in any article, I found WOKE in the comments sections and Snowflake. I used find to crawl through it too, still found nothing.

is that where you found the word Woke, in the comments section?

I also note, that a very open and sympathetic article was written on the front page: Trans NHS worker wins discrimination case.

My question to you Nerdy, are you purposefully fuelling misinformation, or have I simply not found it. (show me where)

I am not a Mail reader, I like balanced views from anywhere that promotes a narrative.

[Removed by poster at 19/07/22 15:02:41]

*checks notes*

I found no trace of the word WOKE in any article, I found WOKE in the comments sections and Snowflake. I used find to crawl through it too, still found nothing.

I also note, that a very open and sympathetic article was written on the front page: Trans NHS worker wins discrimination case.

My question to you Nerdy, are you purposefully fuelling misinformation, or have I simply not found it. (show me where)

I am not a Mail reader, I like balanced views from anywhere that promotes a narrative. "

You obviously haven’t read todays daily mail headline news

golden fields

*checks notes*

I am not a Mail reader, I like balanced views from anywhere that promotes a narrative. "

I googled "met office woke daily mail" and found it.

Eastbourne (she/they)

*checks notes*

"It doesn’t matter whether any of these bodies has the jurisdiction or expertise to opine on these matters. They are tolerated and bankrolled for as long as they parrot the predicable WOKE line."

"If the current heatwave was set to last two weeks rather than two days, this national emergency-style rhetoric might be justified. But it is incredible to think that 12 years into a Government led by Conservatives who are supposedly allergic to infantile WOKEry that the sort of querulous sentiments trotted out yesterday still rule the roost."

literally copied and pasted from the article... I just All capsed Woke...

*checks notes*

I am not a Mail reader, I like balanced views from anywhere that promotes a narrative.

I googled "met office woke daily mail" and found it."

It’s literally todays headline

‘Sunny day snowflake Britain had a meltdown ‘

golden fields

*checks notes*

It’s literally todays headline

‘Sunny day snowflake Britain had a meltdown ‘ "

Are DM readers worried that the hot weather will stop people being racist?

Eastbourne (she/they)

"I also note, that a very open and sympathetic article was written on the front page: Trans NHS worker wins discrimination case."

It was neutral, not sympathetic. And I fail to see how it has ANYTHING to do with this thread.

Other than the fact I am a Trans Woman...

Terra Firma

*checks notes*

I googled "met office woke daily mail" and found it."

Got it, it is in the debate area according to the link.

More of a point of view from someone who has makes his money by controversial I think.

*checks notes*

More of a point of view from someone who has makes his money by controversial I think.

"

Have you read todays headline?

Terra Firma

"I also note, that a very open and sympathetic article was written on the front page: Trans NHS worker wins discrimination case.

It was neutral, not sympathetic. And I fail to see how it has ANYTHING to do with this thread.

Other than the fact I am a Trans Woman..."

Found the other piece thank you and I can see that it was more of an opinion piece from someone who like to provoke and make a noise. And yes I though it would be interesting to hear what you might think about that article, as you are Trans Woman. the way it is reported, is it genuine, is it factual assuming you know the back story and Would toy say they reported fairly? Obviously no need to answer that if you feel it is not worth commenting on.

golden fields

*checks notes*

"

Yes. The Daily Outrage is full of this kind of horseshit opinion that is designed to distract and confused stupid people. In fairness to the DM, as the OP keeps pointing out, they're very good at it.

Eastbourne (she/they)

"Yes. The Daily Outrage is full of this kind of horseshit opinion that is designed to distract and confused stupid people. In fairness to the DM, as the OP keeps pointing out, they're very good at it."

And whether it is "News" or "Opinion" is it still the DM publishing it, it is still the narrative they are trying to put out into the world.

Terra Firma

"Yes. The Daily Outrage is full of this kind of horseshit opinion that is designed to distract and confused stupid people. In fairness to the DM, as the OP keeps pointing out, they're very good at it.

And whether it is "News" or "Opinion" is it still the DM publishing it, it is still the narrative they are trying to put out into the world."

I can see that, I guess I don't go looking for such articles, but when I do, it surprises me that I'm surprised by them..

Terra Firma

*checks notes*

Have you read todays headline? "

That is where I was going wrong, I was looking for the headline and it was an opinion piece.

Found it now, and I can see the twaddle

Eastbourne (she/they)

"Yes. The Daily Outrage is full of this kind of horseshit opinion that is designed to distract and confused stupid people. In fairness to the DM, as the OP keeps pointing out, they're very good at it.

And whether it is "News" or "Opinion" is it still the DM publishing it, it is still the narrative they are trying to put out into the world.

I can see that, I guess I don't go looking for such articles, but when I do, it surprises me that I'm surprised by them.."

I agree with you (I think) the only thing surprising is that we keep being surprised at the BS the DM peddles.

By *oubleactMan  over a year ago

Walton on Thames

I nominate spiked.com

» Add a new message to this topic