FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > Politics > Brexit & the pound

Brexit & the pound

Jump to: Newest in thread

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

Wow, drawing any form of correlation between Brexit and our countries economic demise is met with some serious anger.

Remember pre referendum, when the pound was strong? We had one of the most powerful economies in the world supposedly and could get any trade deal we wanted?

Jesus those were good times lmfao

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *agerMorganMan  over a year ago

Canvey Island

of course nothing to do with a pandemic, an ongoing war, Tory government pulling dipshit moves with tax cuts & the dollar being significantly strong against multiple major currency pairs right now.

Coupled with interest on the rise across Europe & the US. The pound has been on an up & down well before Brexit.

By *phroditeWoman  over a year ago

(She/ her) in Sensualityland

"Wow, drawing any form of correlation between Brexit and our countries economic demise is met with some serious anger.

Remember pre referendum, when the pound was strong? We had one of the most powerful economies in the world supposedly and could get any trade deal we wanted?

Jesus those were good times lmfao"

We certainly did.

And while other European countries also experience similar problems, they are simply not on the scale that we have in Brexit Britain.

By *ack688Man  over a year ago

abruzzo Italy (and UK)

Well this won’t be a contentious thread at all will it!

The current state of the pound isn’t just a direct effect of Brexit, but it would have been better to lose the pound and transfer over to the euro twenty years ago in my opinion. Admittedly I am very pro The EU and would prefer a wholly federal Europe and consider myself a European, so obviously I am always going to be anti Brexit, but for all the problems Brexit has caused, it can’t be held entirely responsible for the current exchange rates, but that rate will certainly make the current high prices even higher for any imported goods.

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

Its no different from the mps blaming energy costs on russia despite the fact the rises were forecast 8 months before russia invaded and us getting 80% of gas from norway yes its had an impact but to blame it all on russia is political bullshit and spin

By *ornLordMan  over a year ago

Wiltshire and London

Brexit plus the pro-Johnson landslide in 2019 have helped put us where we are, with the Britannia Unhinged mob torching the country before a GE where they are likely to get wiped out. So anyone saying it's not a major factor is delusional and/or dishonest.

By *hagTonightMan  over a year ago

From the land of haribos.

Yes, but I think that this is more down to liz truss decision with the tax cut, she didnt take the financial ministers advice, but went her own way about it and now this is the consequence of it.

They want the increased energy and fuel tax to pay for covid measures its pretty clear really

"Well this won’t be a contentious thread at all will it!

The current state of the pound isn’t just a direct effect of Brexit, but it would have been better to lose the pound and transfer over to the euro twenty years ago in my opinion. Admittedly I am very pro The EU and would prefer a wholly federal Europe and consider myself a European, so obviously I am always going to be anti Brexit, but for all the problems Brexit has caused, it can’t be held entirely responsible for the current exchange rates, but that rate will certainly make the current high prices even higher for any imported goods."

Oh there is no chance Brexit is the total cause.

I'm no where near as pro EU as you, tbh, prior to the referendum I honestly didn't care about it, I just saw it primarily as a trade deal. Very little else, and everything that has happened since hasn't changed my mind.

I only became interested after looking into how the EU work (all that "unelected law makers" bullshit sounded ridiculous...small amount of research showed it was).

As a country our economy has been rocky since Brexit, investment into the UK has slowed in some industries and for the most part the pro Brexit government doesn't seem to care. And with the world going into rockier times, pandemic, wars, political turmoil etc Brexit has accentuated our problems. Imo.

By *oolyCoolyCplCouple  over a year ago

Newcastle under Lyme

What happened around June back in 2014, 2 years before the Brexit vote? Looking at macrotrents dot net indicate that's when the £ to $ started to drop again.

It does appear to have dropped around the Brexit vote and then again after Covid.

Would the impact Covid clearly has had be less if Brexit hadn't happened? Look at the Euro compared to the dollar now....

"Yes, but I think that this is more down to liz truss decision with the tax cut, she didnt take the financial ministers advice, but went her own way about it and now this is the consequence of it."

Without Brexit, Liz would never have ended up in power. Probably never would've got Boris either.

By *rumpyMcFuckNuggetMan  over a year ago

Den of Iniquity

Wrong forum guys

By *hagTonightMan  over a year ago

From the land of haribos.

"Yes, but I think that this is more down to liz truss decision with the tax cut, she didnt take the financial ministers advice, but went her own way about it and now this is the consequence of it.

Without Brexit, Liz would never have ended up in power. Probably never would've got Boris either. "

She isnt actually so popular withing the party, she doenst have the back benchers support.

By *inaTitzTV/TS  over a year ago

Titz Towers, North Notts

Since the effects of Brexit have come into force we've been screwed. There are other problems, but these are all exacerbated by Brexit.

The tories have no answers, as even trying to ameliorate the effects of this will split their party and so they'd rather watch the place burn.

By *iketoshow74Man  over a year ago

Northampton

The pounds strength against the Euro over time does not necessarily mean it is weaker because of Brexit.

After the Financial Crash in 2008 it reached its lowest point below 1.03 under Labour.

In 2011 went below 1.12, it did then strengthen and dropped after Brexit but was recovering went above 1.2 just before Covid.

By *ohnnyTwoNotesMan  over a year ago

golden fields

Crashing the value of the pound was one of the objectives of brexit. They achieved it.

"Crashing the value of the pound was one of the objectives of brexit. They achieved it."

TBF, you're probably right since Brexit was championed essentially by disaster capitalists.

Some inflation rates in Europe:

Latvia 22.4%

Lithuania 22.5%

Netherlands 17.1%

EU 10.1%

Germany borrowing €200 billion to cap energy prices, factories heading for shutdowns. Energy rationing across the EU.

But sure. "Brexit".

By *ealthy_and_HungMan  over a year ago

Princes Risborough, Luasanne, Alderney

the nay sayers will keep whining about the EU despite the now proven brexit debarcle. will they never shut up whingeing and grumbling about the EU and get on with fixing the mess they've got us into ... or even get around to admitting it's gone tit's up compared to the unachievable utopian dream they sold to the gullible

"the nay sayers will keep whining about the EU despite the now proven brexit debarcle. will they never shut up whingeing and grumbling about the EU and get on with fixing the mess they've got us into ... or even get around to admitting it's gone tit's up compared to the unachievable utopian dream they sold to the gullible"

The only people who drone on about the EU are Remoaners who are still having a fit about "losing" six years on. I never hear Leavers even mention the EU.

golden fields

"Some inflation rates in Europe:

Latvia 22.4%

Lithuania 22.5%

Netherlands 17.1%

EU 10.1%

Germany borrowing €200 billion to cap energy prices, factories heading for shutdowns. Energy rationing across the EU.

But sure. "Brexit". "

You appear to be confusing the value of the pound, with inflation.

golden fields

"the nay sayers will keep whining about the EU despite the now proven brexit debarcle. will they never shut up whingeing and grumbling about the EU and get on with fixing the mess they've got us into ... or even get around to admitting it's gone tit's up compared to the unachievable utopian dream they sold to the gullible

The only people who drone on about the EU are Remoaners who are still having a fit about "losing" six years on. I never hear Leavers even mention the EU. "

That's pretty insulting, not everyone who voted leave is still confused about the EU, and the impact of leaving it has had on the UK.

By *ealthy_and_HungMan  over a year ago

Princes Risborough, Luasanne, Alderney

"the nay sayers will keep whining about the EU despite the now proven brexit debarcle. will they never shut up whingeing and grumbling about the EU and get on with fixing the mess they've got us into ... or even get around to admitting it's gone tit's up compared to the unachievable utopian dream they sold to the gullible

The only people who drone on about the EU are Remoaners who are still having a fit about "losing" six years on. I never hear Leavers even mention the EU. "

yet you couldn't help yourself from just mentioning the yet again in your previous post

Latvia 22.4%

Lithuania 22.5%

Netherlands 17.1%

EU 10.1%

But sure. "Brexit".

You appear to be confusing the value of the pound, with inflation. "

And how is the GBP/USD going? Oh it's up! Stock markets up! Growth up! Truss is a genius.

golden fields

The only people who drone on about the EU are Remoaners who are still having a fit about "losing" six years on. I never hear Leavers even mention the EU.

yet you couldn't help yourself from just mentioning the yet again in your previous post "

In fairness people who use the word "remoaner" are also the same people who talk about the EU more than anyone who else. Usually in the context of "it's the EU's fault".

golden fields

Latvia 22.4%

Lithuania 22.5%

Netherlands 17.1%

EU 10.1%

But sure. "Brexit".

And how is the GBP/USD going? Oh it's up! Stock markets up! Growth up! Truss is a genius."

You appear to be confusing the pound making a slight recovery, with inflation.

Latvia 22.4%

Lithuania 22.5%

Netherlands 17.1%

EU 10.1%

But sure. "Brexit".

And how is the GBP/USD going? Oh it's up! Stock markets up! Growth up! Truss is a genius.

You appear to be confusing the pound making a slight recovery, with inflation."

Oh yes of course, inflation in the Eurozone is so low, and the Euro is just soaring against the USD. What fools we were to leave the EU.

Anybody who still thinks Brexit was a good idea is only fooling themselves. They know it but just too stubborn to simply say 'I was wrong'..

golden fields

Latvia 22.4%

Lithuania 22.5%

Netherlands 17.1%

EU 10.1%

But sure. "Brexit".

You appear to be confusing the pound making a slight recovery, with inflation.

Oh yes of course, inflation in the Eurozone is so low, and the Euro is just soaring against the USD. What fools we were to leave the EU."

Not sure why you keep talking about inflation.

golden fields

"Anybody who still thinks Brexit was a good idea is only fooling themselves. They know it but just too stubborn to simply say 'I was wrong'.."

Don't discourage them! The people who still think brexit is a good idea are the funniest part of the forums.

"Anybody who still thinks Brexit was a good idea is only fooling themselves. They know it but just too stubborn to simply say 'I was wrong'.."

I think it's deeper than that, to be lied to and conned so easily is hard to take, to have been so gullible is hard to get over. Stitched up by the likes of Farage, Mogg and Johnson. But I have so much respect for leave voters who admit they got it wrong,my life long friend for one, we had uncomfortable moments over Brexit, but he is big enough to say he got stitched up.

Latvia 22.4%

Lithuania 22.5%

Netherlands 17.1%

EU 10.1%

But sure. "Brexit". "

When you talk about inflation you need to compare like for like, not apples and pears.

Currently the UK inflation rate is higher than any of the other G7 countries. Some of that is down to less manufacturing in the UK than for example in Germany - we have to import so much.

But it is not a competition!

What is important is that we remember that Brexit was ON TOP of all the other issues the world faces. Pandemic, War in Ukraine, Energy cost etc.

No other European country had the Brexit effect in the same way as the UK.

Sadly, you are right.

"Anybody who still thinks Brexit was a good idea is only fooling themselves. They know it but just too stubborn to simply say 'I was wrong'..

Don't discourage them! The people who still think brexit is a good idea are the funniest part of the forums. "

I don't regret voting to Leave at all.

And not only that but I'm not a sore loser either.

[Removed by poster at 30/09/22 19:01:35]

golden fields

"Anybody who still thinks Brexit was a good idea is only fooling themselves. They know it but just too stubborn to simply say 'I was wrong'..

Don't discourage them! The people who still think brexit is a good idea are the funniest part of the forums.

And not only that but I'm not a sore loser either."

A confused loser? Because weather you ignore the impact of brexit or not, we all lost (assuming you're not a billionaire).

"[Removed by poster at 30/09/22 19:01:35]"

I think it's deeper than that, to be lied to and conned so easily is hard to take, to have been so gullible is hard to get over. Stitched up by the likes of Farage, Mogg and Johnson. But I have so much respect for leave voters who admit they got it wrong,my life long friend for one, we had uncomfortable moments over Brexit, but he is big enough to say he got stitched up. "

I completely agree and totally respect anybody who has the balls to admit they were misled.

I do struggle with people who are telling me in 2022 that they knew what they were voting for and that they have got they country back.

I am waiting for one.... just one Brexit benefit that we could jointly (Brexiteers and Remainders) could celebrate together.

A confused loser? Because weather you ignore the impact of brexit or not, we all lost (assuming you're not a billionaire)."

It's sad that people can't cope with losing a referendum about leaving a tawdry little tariff zone. So much mental illness about these days.

golden fields

A confused loser? Because weather you ignore the impact of brexit or not, we all lost (assuming you're not a billionaire).

It's sad that people can't cope with losing a referendum about leaving a tawdry little tariff zone. So much mental illness about these days."

Ha. I assume this is intentionally ironic?

Trying to argue that you understand brexit by showing how you don't understand the EU or brexit. Fantastic stuff!

Also, spoiler alert, unless you're a billionaire, or a large corporation waiting for the UK to remove safety standards, food standards, and workers rights, then you also lost in the referendum.

By *AFKA HovisMan  over a year ago

Sindon Swingdon Swindon

Tbh, the latest shit show has less to do with Brexit, more to do with our government. I can't see how being in the EU would have made a difference... This is a self inflicted wound, because we have a system and a party that allows a handful of people to put some one in power.

golden fields

"Tbh, the latest shit show has less to do with Brexit, more to do with our government. I can't see how being in the EU would have made a difference... This is a self inflicted wound, because we have a system and a party that allows a handful of people to put some one in power. "

Brexit already had the country scr4ping about for some change behind the back of the collective sofa.

The overall aim of brexit was to concentrate power and wealth with a small few at the top. Making the current situation more terrifying.

By *oo hotCouple  over a year ago

North West

It's sad that people can't cope with losing a referendum about leaving a tawdry little tariff zone. So much mental illness about these days."

You are not seeing what is going on around you are you? Do you not realise that you have been groomed to facilitate a massive upheaval in U.K. society which is designed to make the wealth gap even bigger.

You have presumably heard of that cozy little expression “supply side reform”? Something that Brexit would enable the country to unleash. You do know what it is don’t you?

Reduction of workers rights, reduction and/or removal of hindering regulatory burden, Trade Union controls, reduction of corporate taxation.

All for the common good right?

And not only that but I'm not a sore loser either."

We are all losing because of it....cracking

It's sad that people can't cope with losing a referendum about leaving a tawdry little tariff zone. So much mental illness about these days.

You are not seeing what is going on around you are you? Do you not realise that you have been groomed to facilitate a massive upheaval in U.K. society which is designed to make the wealth gap even bigger.

You have presumably heard of that cozy little expression “supply side reform”? Something that Brexit would enable the country to unleash. You do know what it is don’t you?

Reduction of workers rights, reduction and/or removal of hindering regulatory burden, Trade Union controls, reduction of corporate taxation.

All for the common good right?"

We have to fight then don't we?

» Add a new message to this topic