FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > Politics > Government tests energy blackout emergency plans - Yarrow

Government tests energy blackout emergency plans - Yarrow

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *rFunBoy OP   Man  over a year ago

Longridge

Government tests energy blackout emergency plans as supply fears grow.

The type of technical fault envisaged by government planners includes flood damage or a lightning strike on a substation, but * could also cover an attack by a hostile state on sub-sea power cables *, following Russian attacks against the Nord Stream energy pipelines.

The leak comes after a warning from Tom Tugendhat, the security minister, on Monday that Britain had become “more vulnerable” in recent years as countries seeking to do it harm had “levelled the field” by investing time and money into new technologies.

In the worst-case scenario outlined in the plan, only analogue FM radios would work, with just BBC Radio 2 and 4 broadcasting, and uncertainties around local radio as some stations only have a few hours of backup generator cover.

The Guardian revealed last month that the BBC has prepared secret scripts that could be read on air if energy shortages cause blackouts or the loss of gas supplies this winter.

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2022/nov/01/government-tests-energy-blackout-emergency-plans-as-supply-fears-grow

One source said: “The government doesn’t want any publicity on Yarrow, as they don’t want it to be seen as linked to Ukraine, energy supply and the cost of living. But we need to think about how we can help people in advance. The fact they’re talking about it now means they have a real concern it could happen.”

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *allySlinkyWoman  over a year ago

Leeds

Yarrow is a persistent . It is also known as the death flower as it is considered bad luck to bring it into your home.

By *allySlinkyWoman  over a year ago

Leeds

Yarrow is a persistent w**d !

Longridge

"Yarrow is a persistent . It is also known as the death flower as it is considered bad luck to bring it into your home. "

Not a great choice of name then..

Longridge

Then again..

Yarrow is a symbol for being brave, courageous and saying I love you in spite of everything. Achillea comes from Achilles, the warrior hero of the Trojan saga.

"I love you, even though the freezer is defrosted, the heating is off, no TV and lights.."

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

"Then again..

Yarrow is a symbol for being brave, courageous and saying I love you in spite of everything. Achillea comes from Achilles, the warrior hero of the Trojan saga.

"I love you, even though the freezer is defrosted, the heating is off, no TV and lights.."

"

Triffids indicate a loathing for someone

Longridge

I have a garden full of them..

Next to the pampas grass.

By *oolyCoolyCplCouple  over a year ago

Newcastle under Lyme

If media is supposed to hold power to account, how did the Guardian see government papers marked 'official sensitive'?

Longridge

Leaked then a freedom of information request.

That plan was made late last year..

Let me think, what was happening this time last year, energy prices rise 12%.

Oh no, that happened but wasn't Russia also mobilising?

Don't deny it doesn't exist, they just didn't want the toilet rolls selling out. They just didn't want it public.

Longridge

When you see what Russia has done to other countries the last 40 years. Thar he's willing to starve and freeze 4.5 million innocent Ukrainians.

You don't honestly think cutting of UK Gas, Electricity and Comms will get a second thought.

Yeah, NATO can toast him and Russia, but don't think for one minute that we won't also get toasted..

We're British, well take it and suffer it, as responding may not be worth the price!!

By *I TwoCouple  over a year ago

all around

"If media is supposed to hold power to account, how did the Guardian see government papers marked 'official sensitive'?"

Just attention seeking clickbait, like the rest of it

Longridge

Oh yeh, so much so that NationalGrid are willing to pay people through the teeth not to use electricity at peak times.

Nothing to see here- move on.

But I'll be one of these:

UK households could get up to £100 off their energy bills as part of a new scheme to help families avoid being affected by blackouts.

The discounts will be available to homes that cut down on their use of energy during peak hours, according to the plans revealed by the National Grid (NG.L).

» Add a new message to this topic