FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > Politics > UK National Debt

UK National Debt

Jump to: Newest in thread

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

Is it just me that feels slightly frustrated that my generation and younger have to not only pay for; the social care crisis, covid borrowing crisis, protecting triple locked pensions, energy crisis bail out!

I mean come on!! Covid only really impacted the old and sick (unfortunately) why did the entire nation need to be locked down? As many commentators stated lockdown will cause massive economic effects, and more people will die as a result than saved!!

Guess what?! It’s happening!

it’s also expected for us to pay for the post war baby boomers massive climate bill!!! Yeah, do you remember all those packaged holidays, 5 litre leaded Ford Grandra, and covering yourself in hairspray whilst burning tyres on tut fire?

The baby boomers, and people born in 60s have benefited more so then any generation in U.K. history!

Not only the welfare state, but also monumental changes in personal wealth. They have benefited from colossal growth in house prices generally through pure luck!

I say scrap state pension to any pensioner who receives private income over £35,000 a year! There are millions!!!

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *icecouple561Couple  over a year ago
Forum Mod

East Sussex

My generation paid the WW2 debt.

"My generation paid the WW2 debt."

And (no offence) drained the most from the welfare state! Is that a net contribution or loss!

Forum Mod

East Sussex

"My generation paid the WW2 debt.

And (no offence) drained the most from the welfare state! Is that a net contribution or loss!

"

Who knows.

All I know is that I'm not personally responsible but if you feel that me and my generation 'drained' the welfare state I'm unlikely to be able to change your mind.

Forum Mod

East Sussex

* sorry 'I and my generation '

Forum Mod

East Sussex

Oh and none taken. I was born, I did what was normal for my time and here we are

By *JB1954Man  over a year ago

Reading

I would like to know who these millions of people are who get £35k in private pensions . What jobs have they been doing for their working life ?

"Oh and none taken. I was born, I did what was normal for my time and here we are"

I agree with your perspective too! It’s a nuisanced and highly complicated situation.

However, since the 70s we have known about climate change....

By *ohnnyTwoNotesMan  over a year ago

golden fields

"Is it just me that feels slightly frustrated that my generation and younger have to not only pay for; the social care crisis, covid borrowing crisis, protecting triple locked pensions, energy crisis bail out!

I mean come on!! Covid only really impacted the old and sick (unfortunately) why did the entire nation need to be locked down? As many commentators stated lockdown will cause massive economic effects, and more people will die as a result than saved!!

it’s also expected for us to pay for the post war baby boomers massive climate bill!!! Yeah, do you remember all those packaged holidays, 5 litre leaded Ford Grandra, and covering yourself in hairspray whilst burning tyres on tut fire?

The baby boomers, and people born in 60s have benefited more so then any generation in U.K. history!

Not only the welfare state, but also monumental changes in personal wealth. They have benefited from colossal growth in house prices generally through pure luck!

I say scrap state pension to any pensioner who receives private income over £35,000 a year! There are millions!!!

"

And Brexit. They'll be paying the price for that one even longer.

"I would like to know who these millions of people are who get £35k in private pensions . What jobs have they been doing for their working life ?"

ONS publishes state pension data. I was shocked to see how many have personal wealth over £1million and personal income over £40k

Why are they getting state pension? It should be a national scandal!

By *oldswarriorMan  over a year ago

Falkirk

So what's the fab solution?

Forum Mod

East Sussex

"I would like to know who these millions of people are who get £35k in private pensions . What jobs have they been doing for their working life ?"

Not mine, that's for sure .

golden fields

"So what's the fab solution? "

Vote Tory for more of the same.

"Is it just me that feels slightly frustrated that my generation and younger have to not only pay for; the social care crisis, covid borrowing crisis, protecting triple locked pensions, energy crisis bail out!

And Brexit. They'll be paying the price for that one even longer."

Climate

Covid

Social care

Energy crisis

Brexit

Forum Mod

East Sussex

"Oh and none taken. I was born, I did what was normal for my time and here we are

I agree with your perspective too! It’s a nuisanced and highly complicated situation.

"

Your op was hardly nuanced .

We have known about climate chsy since the 70s but I didn't have a Ford Granada and we went to Bognor on our holidays.

Blaming the previous generation is a waste of time. Certainly action is needed but it won't be achieved by telling me and my contemporaries what we did wrong

Falkirk

"So what's the fab solution?

Vote Tory for more of the same."

No, time for a change. I'm very close to voting SNP, yet Stugeon is proving to be an empty vessel.

golden fields

No, time for a change. I'm very close to voting SNP, yet Stugeon is proving to be an empty vessel."

I was employing sarcasm. Should have used some chuckling emojis.

The general consensus on fab is usually: Vote Conservative combined with: what about Corbyn/EU/Remainers/immigrants etc.

No, time for a change. I'm very close to voting SNP, yet Stugeon is proving to be an empty vessel."

I’m fed up with democracy! Must be something better! If my boiler was 2000 years old, I’d be freezing my bollocks off... oh wait I’m freezing my bollocks off because of the failure of an 2000 year old system and 50 years of energy inaction.

Please vote SNP, vote for independence and we (The British) can build a beautiful shining wall! Remove every bit of military hardware, every ambulance, every fire engine and every school book and annex fastland. That should settle the divorce bill. We will ignore Scottish contribution to national debt. Wink wink geez!!

Good luck with Nicola! She’s clearly delivering for Scotland! Lol

"Oh and none taken. I was born, I did what was normal for my time and here we are

We have known about climate chsy since the 70s but I didn't have a Ford Granada and we went to Bognor on our holidays.

Blaming the previous generation is a waste of time. Certainly action is needed but it won't be achieved by telling me and my contemporaries what we did wrong "

But it’s your fault!! You did nothing! (Not personally) but in general you knew about the issue and did nothing.

Falkirk

No, time for a change. I'm very close to voting SNP, yet Stugeon is proving to be an empty vessel.

The general consensus on fab is usually: Vote Conservative combined with: what about Corbyn/EU/Remainers/immigrants etc."

It's always someone else's fault.

I'm not a staunch Conservative voter, but yes they have managed to fuck things up with almost perfect continuity.

By *ouple in LancashireCouple  over a year ago

in Lancashire

It's a very simplistic outlook to blame all the challenges that young people (and others) face on one sector of society purely on when they were born..

We are born into the time we are, as were the generation that died in their millions in the first world war..

To suggest that some of us, the boomers should have done more in the period when policy decisions eg. Not having a sovereign wealth fund from North sea oil as Norway correctly did is facile..

We didn't have the means to connect globally etc as the generation now growing up with tech does..

And the technology wasn't there to ditch carbon..

golden fields

Blaming the previous generation is a waste of time. Certainly action is needed but it won't be achieved by telling me and my contemporaries what we did wrong

But it’s your fault!! You did nothing! (Not personally) but in general you knew about the issue and did nothing. "

The government and people on general are barely doing more than nothing now.

Forum Mod

East Sussex

But it’s your fault!! You did nothing! (Not personally) but in general you knew about the issue and did nothing. "

What would you like 'us' to do,?

Falkirk

So we cancel all those born in the 60's because they should have known better?

golden fields

The general consensus on fab is usually: Vote Conservative combined with: what about Corbyn/EU/Remainers/immigrants etc.

I'm not a staunch Conservative voter, but yes they have managed to fuck things up with almost perfect continuity.

"

And people vote for them regardless. Nothing will change while the system remains the same.

in Lancashire

Make your mind up, if not us individually as 'boomers' then whom are you saying did nothing..?

But it’s your fault!! You did nothing! (Not personally) but in general you knew about the issue and did nothing.

What would you like 'us' to do,?"

Over 60 pay green levy could be delivered with vat. Under 60 pay basic rate over 60s pay 99%

Forum Mod

East Sussex

So we cancel all those born in the 60's because they should have known better? "

I'm setting off for an ice floe now

Falkirk

And people vote for them regardless. Nothing will change while the system remains the same."

Can a general election be triggered?

golden fields

And people vote for them regardless. Nothing will change while the system remains the same.

Can a general election be triggered?"

Maybe. Probably not. And it won't make any difference if one is. In my opinion.

Falkirk

I'm setting off for an ice floe now "

It's those 5 litre Granada's that Ford never sold in the UK.

Specifically the Ghia models

By *JB1954Man  over a year ago

Reading

"I would like to know who these millions of people are who get £35k in private pensions . What jobs have they been doing for their working life ?

"

Me neither or people on pensions that I know. Yes I retired December 31st 2019. The last ten years of my employment paying 40% tax.

I worked from age 17 until 65.5 as due to date of birth could retire then. Note first company pension I had was in 1994 and then the last company I worked for two pensions as company was sold while working there. I basically get after tax. Half of the OP figure of 35K with private and state pensions.

Specifically the Ghia models "

Damn gia!

I’m saying cancel, just pay a toll to a troll?

"I would like to know who these millions of people are who get £35k in private pensions . What jobs have they been doing for their working life ?

Me neither or people on pensions that I know. Yes I retired December 31st 2019. The last ten years of my employment paying 40% tax.

I worked from age 17 until 65.5 as due to date of birth could retire then. Note first company pension I had was in 1994 and then the last company I worked for two pensions as company was sold while working there. I basically get after tax. Half of the OP figure of 35K with private and state pensions. "

Private income just doesn’t mean private pension, but other income they may receive like rental, dividends, wages interest etc etc.

I do not understand how someone who is retired and has a private income over £35k gets a state pension.

At the ever end of the life scale everything is means tested. As a father of 4, my income, and my x income means we are entitled to absolutely nothing I’m terms of child care support...

Surely state pension should be means tested!

Falkirk

Specifically the Ghia models

Damn gia!

I’m saying cancel, just pay a toll to a troll?"

Now now no need for name calling.

At least get your statistics correct

By *hybloke67Man  over a year ago

ROMFORD

I worked from age 17 until 65.5 as due to date of birth could retire then. Note first company pension I had was in 1994 and then the last company I worked for two pensions as company was sold while working there. I basically get after tax. Half of the OP figure of 35K with private and state pensions.

Private income just doesn’t mean private pension, but other income they may receive like rental, dividends, wages interest etc etc.

I do not understand how someone who is retired and has a private income over £35k gets a state pension.

At the ever end of the life scale everything is means tested. As a father of 4, my income, and my x income means we are entitled to absolutely nothing I’m terms of child care support...

"

Completely disagree with you.

By *astlincscoupleCouple  over a year ago

Tinsel Town

"

People have worked hard and payed into a state pension.

They have invested into other sources of income which pays off.

By *ranny-CrumpetWoman  over a year ago

King's Crustacean

"

Oh dear.

If ever I read an ill informed rhetoric ..... this is one of the best. I'm sure it will irk those of a similar mindset to yourself.

Falkirk

"

Wow blaming other's for your life choices.

King's Crustacean

At the risk of stating the bloody obvious........ the state pension is NOT a hand out. People paid for it for all the years they worked. It isn't the governments to take away.

Oh dear.

If ever I read an ill informed rhetoric ..... this is one of the best. I'm sure it will irk those of a similar mindset to yourself.

"

Triple locked pension, zero means testing . When the the rest of us go without?! Seems fair, seems like unfounded rhetoric.

It’s time to pay!

Forum Mod

East Sussex

Oh dear.

Triple locked pension, zero means testing . When the the rest of us go without?! Seems fair, seems like unfounded rhetoric.

It’s time to pay! "

How much do you imagine the state pension pays?

King's Crustacean

Oh dear.

It’s time to pay! "

I've already paid. As has everyone else.

Everything you keep saying simply shows just how little you know.

STATE PENSION is NOT A BENEFIT.

We paid already.

in Lancashire

Oh dear.

It’s time to pay! "

So you want those of us who worked, paid full stamp etc and to use a phrase were prudent financially to enable a retirement not well off or rich to fork out for decisions that we weren't responsible for?

You've not thought it through have you?

By *wisted999Man  over a year ago

North Bucks

So if the state pension is funded on National Insurance and general taxation. And I have a state pension that will pay me over 35k a year.

Does that mean in your thinking OP I can opt out of tax and some national insurance?

I like it. I can put even more in my pension

By *wisted999Man  over a year ago

North Bucks

"So if the state pension is funded on National Insurance and general taxation. And I have a state pension that will pay me over 35k a year.

Does that mean in your thinking OP I can opt out of tax and some national insurance?

I like it. I can put even more in my pension "

*private pension I mean.

Tinsel Town

Oh dear.

It’s time to pay! "

Why are you going without?

If you have been in employment without huge lapses, you will have been paying into the system and intitled to a state pension.

Have started paying into a private pension fund or invested any savings which could see you with with an additional income?

By *I TwoCouple  over a year ago

all around

"

"

I don't recall paying for a state pension being optional, why should receiving it be ?

By *otMe66Man  over a year ago

Terra Firma

"

I admire your generation and how well balanced you all are, now get back to work I'm relying on you to provide me my fillet steak tonight. Chop chop

By *irldnCouple  over a year ago

Brighton

Well if we are going to get all antsy about stuff then I want to shout out to all the forgotten GenX/Z on here. What about us?

The Boomers saw unprecedented economic growth in their lifetime and the clever/lucky ones have enriched themselves at a time where the ratio of salary to property prices meant it was relatively easy to get on the ladder and reap the benefits of house price growth. They are often convinced their wealth is down to sheer hard work and has nothing to do with luck and wider economics and want to pull up the drawbridge before anyone threatens what they have.

The Millennials have seen unprecedented technology growth creating opportunities for completely new revenue streams and a time of peace and stability but are often a bunch of whinging snowflakes who think they should be entitled to more and everything is unfair and someone else’s fault.

Whereas Gen X/Z? We been warning the boomers about the climate but they wouldn’t listen. We been putting up with the Millennials going all out z list celebs and youtubers (and cyber currency) and still whinging.

*for avoidance of doubt, my tongue is firmly in cheek

By *ovebjsMan  over a year ago

Bristol

Every generation blames the one before

By *naswingdressWoman  over a year ago

Manchester (she/her)

"Well if we are going to get all antsy about stuff then I want to shout out to all the forgotten GenX/Z on here. What about us?

The Boomers saw unprecedented economic growth in their lifetime and the clever/lucky ones have enriched themselves at a time where the ratio of salary to property prices meant it was relatively easy to get on the ladder and reap the benefits of house price growth. They are often convinced their wealth is down to sheer hard work and has nothing to do with luck and wider economics and want to pull up the drawbridge before anyone threatens what they have.

The Millennials have seen unprecedented technology growth creating opportunities for completely new revenue streams and a time of peace and stability but are often a bunch of whinging snowflakes who think they should be entitled to more and everything is unfair and someone else’s fault.

Whereas Gen X/Z? We been warning the boomers about the climate but they wouldn’t listen. We been putting up with the Millennials going all out z list celebs and youtubers (and cyber currency) and still whinging.

*for avoidance of doubt, my tongue is firmly in cheek "

Manchester (she/her)

"Every generation blames the one before

"

And the one after. (I say this because the quote I have in mind is Plato talking about wastrel youth)

Manchester (she/her)

For the record, this geriatric millennial is sick of everyone. Including geriatric millennials.

World sucks, I don't think I'll have a pension because everything will have run dry. Not the fault of most people. Only person who can change my world is myself. Best crack on.

in Lancashire

"Every generation blames the one before

"

Great tune..

Poignant lyrics too..

ROMFORD

"For the record, this geriatric millennial is sick of everyone. Including geriatric millennials.

World sucks, I don't think I'll have a pension because everything will have run dry. Not the fault of most people. Only person who can change my world is myself. Best crack on."

The state pension pot can not run out because there is not one to start with.

The money paid in via NI is then paid out.

So as long as there are people paying NI there is a state pension to pay out.

Manchester (she/her)

"For the record, this geriatric millennial is sick of everyone. Including geriatric millennials.

World sucks, I don't think I'll have a pension because everything will have run dry. Not the fault of most people. Only person who can change my world is myself. Best crack on.

"

I believe it'll be pilfered, redirected, or abolished long before I get anywhere near retirement.

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

OP you definitely are a glass half empty guy. If people in this country think they are unlucky, its because its a sense of self entitlement.

Living in the UK means you are still one of the luckiest people on the planet. Yes there are some developed countries that are better, but on the whole there are a lot more that are a lot worse. They don't have any social safety nets or benefits, and a lot worse governments.

Also the climate catastrophe for them is real. That's why a lot of them are risking life and limb to get here.

This thread is a illustration of one of the reasons this country is fucked up. People blaming others for their problems and thinking its the states responsibility to look after them. Am no Rishi or Tory supporter, but I think he was right when he said the government can't fix all the peoples problems.

Am a child of immigrants, I remember growing up in poverty. But never remember my parents moaning about it. They just got on with it.

Also before you start blaming the generation before, look at the waste and corruption going on in the corridors of power. Be that City Hall or Westminster. Rant over.

I believe it'll be pilfered, redirected, or abolished long before I get anywhere near retirement."

I think in the midst of a climate, cost of living and energy crisis, shackled by the debt of covid. It’s slightly perverse that the state pension is not means tested.

People who can afford it, should not be claiming the state pension. The money could be better used arresting parish councillors (generally over 60) who endlessly decline planning applications for onshore wind and solar!

Manchester (she/her)

I believe it'll be pilfered, redirected, or abolished long before I get anywhere near retirement.

I think in the midst of a climate, cost of living and energy crisis, shackled by the debt of covid. It’s slightly perverse that the state pension is not means tested.

People who can afford it, should not be claiming the state pension. The money could be better used arresting parish councillors (generally over 60) who endlessly decline planning applications for onshore wind and solar! "

Whereas I believe we're fucked and we shouldn't punish people by mere virtue of their age. Nor should we have left them to die of a novel virus. The villains are the 1%, same as ever. Not the people who get the protection a civilised society should provide, nor those who take the benefits they're entitled to.

We're fucked, and we need to find a way out of this.

People who can afford it, should not be claiming the state pension. The money could be better used arresting parish councillors (generally over 60) who endlessly decline planning applications for onshore wind and solar!

Whereas I believe we're fucked and we shouldn't punish people by mere virtue of their age. Nor should we have left them to die of a novel virus. The villains are the 1%, same as ever. Not the people who get the protection a civilised society should provide, nor those who take the benefits they're entitled to.

We're fucked, and we need to find a way out of this. "

Everyone needs to pay there fair share for emissions! The greys have had it easy street for too long!

Manchester (she/her)

Everyone needs to pay there fair share for emissions! The greys have had it easy street for too long! "

Ok, so as a Brit, a beneficiary of the dawn of the Industrial Revolution and the generations of emissions that built Britain's place in the world, plus an ongoing consumer of goods imported from elsewhere, you pay 100x what someone in a developing nation pays. They might be emitting more, but your place in society depends pretty much entirely on generations of pollution creation.

Oh. that's not fair, you only want to lash out at others? I see.

Everyone needs to pay there fair share for emissions! The greys have had it easy street for too long!

Ok, so as a Brit, a beneficiary of the dawn of the Industrial Revolution and the generations of emissions that built Britain's place in the world, plus an ongoing consumer of goods imported from elsewhere, you pay 100x what someone in a developing nation pays. They might be emitting more, but your place in society depends pretty much entirely on generations of pollution creation.

Oh. that's not fair, you only want to lash out at others? I see."

I’m not sure how anything I’ve said could be considered “lashing out” I’m presenting a line which seems to be current. I’m an open, free and tolerant society it’s called debate.

Tinsel Town

People who can afford it, should not be claiming the state pension. The money could be better used arresting parish councillors (generally over 60) who endlessly decline planning applications for onshore wind and solar! "

People who have payed in should be intitled to it.

If you were to lazy to invest your savings or pay into a private pension, then you are the one at fault.

Your comment regarding parish councillors also lacks credibility. The UK has seen several wind farm projects being built over the last decade.

Manchester (she/her)

Oh. that's not fair, you only want to lash out at others? I see.

I’m not sure how anything I’ve said could be considered “lashing out” I’m presenting a line which seems to be current. I’m an open, free and tolerant society it’s called debate. "

... The lines write themselves people. Open, free, and tolerant. Right

If you were to lazy to invest your savings or pay into a private pension, then you are the one at fault.

Your comment regarding parish councillors also lacks credibility. The UK has seen several wind farm projects being built over the last decade.

"

Several? Lol ?? that should do it!! Lol my god

Tinsel Town

Several? Lol ?? that should do it!! Lol my god "

Rhyl Flats Wales 53°22'00?N 3°39'00?W 90 25 Siemens SWP 3.6–107 December 2009 £198m 32.9%[4] 4–15 8 Npower (UK) (RWE) [w 17][36]

Robin Rigg Scotland 54°45'00?N 3°43'00?W 180 60 Vestas V90-3.0MW April 2010 £396m 35.1%[4] 0–12 11 E.ON [w 18][37]

Scroby Sands England 52°38'0?N 1°47'0?E 60 30 Vestas V80-2MW March 2004 £75.5m 30.7%[4] 0–8 2.5 E.ON [w 19][38]

Sheringham Shoal England 53°07'0?N 1°08'0?E 317 88 Siemens SWT-3.6–107 September 2012 £1,100m 40.7%[4] 12–24 17 Equinor 50%

Statkraft 50% [w 20]

Teesside England 54°38'50?N 1°05'40?W 62 27 Siemens SWT-2.3 August 2013 £200m 34.8% 7–15 1.5 EDF-EN [39]

Thanet England 51°26'0?N 1°38'0?E 300 100 Vestas V90-3.0MW September 2010 £900m 32.8% 20–25 11 Vattenfall [w 21][40]

Triton Knoll England 53°30'00?N 0°48'0?E 857 90 Vestas v164-9.5 MW March 2022 [41] 74.75 33 RWE [15][42][24]

Walney England 54°03'00?N 3°31'00?W 367 102 Siemens SWP 3.6–107 February 2010 £630m 40.5%, 43.8%[4] 19–30 14 Ørsted, SSE, OPW [w 22][43]

Walney Extension England 54°5'17?N 3°44'17?W 659 47 47x Siemens SWT-7.0-154, 40× MHI Vestas V164-8.25 MW September 2018 150.00 Ørsted [44][45][46]

Westermost Rough England 53°48'18?N 0°8'56?E 210 35 Siemens SWT-6.0–154 May 2015 £370m 42.9%[4] 15 10 Ørsted, Marubeni, GIB [w 23][47]

West of Duddon Sands England 53°59'00?N 3°28'00?W 389 108 Siemens SWP 3.6–120 October 2014

Sorry for the data grab folks.

Yes several.

But you keep trying to convince the working population that pensions should be capped because you didn't prepare properly.

Manchester (she/her)

Several? Lol ?? that should do it!! Lol my god

Rhyl Flats Wales 53°22'00?N 3°39'00?W 90 25 Siemens SWP 3.6–107 December 2009 £198m 32.9%[4] 4–15 8 Npower (UK) (RWE) [w 17][36]

Robin Rigg Scotland 54°45'00?N 3°43'00?W 180 60 Vestas V90-3.0MW April 2010 £396m 35.1%[4] 0–12 11 E.ON [w 18][37]

Scroby Sands England 52°38'0?N 1°47'0?E 60 30 Vestas V80-2MW March 2004 £75.5m 30.7%[4] 0–8 2.5 E.ON [w 19][38]

Sheringham Shoal England 53°07'0?N 1°08'0?E 317 88 Siemens SWT-3.6–107 September 2012 £1,100m 40.7%[4] 12–24 17 Equinor 50%

Statkraft 50% [w 20]

Teesside England 54°38'50?N 1°05'40?W 62 27 Siemens SWT-2.3 August 2013 £200m 34.8% 7–15 1.5 EDF-EN [39]

Thanet England 51°26'0?N 1°38'0?E 300 100 Vestas V90-3.0MW September 2010 £900m 32.8% 20–25 11 Vattenfall [w 21][40]

Triton Knoll England 53°30'00?N 0°48'0?E 857 90 Vestas v164-9.5 MW March 2022 [41] 74.75 33 RWE [15][42][24]

Walney England 54°03'00?N 3°31'00?W 367 102 Siemens SWP 3.6–107 February 2010 £630m 40.5%, 43.8%[4] 19–30 14 Ørsted, SSE, OPW [w 22][43]

Walney Extension England 54°5'17?N 3°44'17?W 659 47 47x Siemens SWT-7.0-154, 40× MHI Vestas V164-8.25 MW September 2018 150.00 Ørsted [44][45][46]

Westermost Rough England 53°48'18?N 0°8'56?E 210 35 Siemens SWT-6.0–154 May 2015 £370m 42.9%[4] 15 10 Ørsted, Marubeni, GIB [w 23][47]

West of Duddon Sands England 53°59'00?N 3°28'00?W 389 108 Siemens SWP 3.6–120 October 2014

Sorry for the data grab folks.

Yes several.

But you keep trying to convince the working population that pensions should be capped because you didn't prepare properly. "

My concern is that it'll be taken away - the social contract has gone from ripped to tatters in my lifetime.

I don't think we should punish older people. Most of them, just like everyone else, did what they thought was best to survive. I think we should push back on politicians, plan ourselves, etc.

ROMFORD

Everyone needs to pay there fair share for emissions! The greys have had it easy street for too long! "

You say everyone needs to pay their fair share.

Well you have produced 4 off spring who will generate CO2 emissions. So until they are old enough to pay their fair share themselves it's only fair you pay for them and their CO2 emissions.!

Well you have produced 4 off spring who will generate CO2 emissions. So until they are old enough to pay their fair share themselves it's only fair you pay for them and their CO2 emissions.!"

I was until about a month ago a higher rate tax payer! I think my contributions over last 15 years will cover them, it’s been daylight robbery! I probably could have built my own wind and solar farm. Although I imagine some old parish councillor would have rejected the planning.

Without children and the next generations, who is going to come up with the next big idea to save humanity? Or wipe Nigel’s dribble, as he stares out of his care home window aged 98 on every drug known to man, or continue paying tax to sustain society....??? Pretty weak statement, not your fault!

Manchester (she/her)

Well you have produced 4 off spring who will generate CO2 emissions. So until they are old enough to pay their fair share themselves it's only fair you pay for them and their CO2 emissions.!

I was until about a month ago a higher rate tax payer! I think my contributions over last 15 years will cover them, it’s been daylight robbery! I probably could have built my own wind and solar farm. Although I imagine some old parish councillor would have rejected the planning.

Without children and the next generations, who is going to come up with the next big idea to save humanity? Or wipe Nigel’s dribble, as he stares out of his care home window aged 98 on every drug known to man, or continue paying tax to sustain society....??? Pretty weak statement, not your fault! "

Maybe we should, rather than trying to punish people solely for the generation they were born in.

Falkirk

OP, should we cap benefits also?

Asking for a friend

ROMFORD

Without children and the next generations, who is going to come up with the next big idea to save humanity? Or wipe Nigel’s dribble, as he stares out of his care home window aged 98 on every drug known to man, or continue paying tax to sustain society....??? Pretty weak statement, not your fault! "

Using your own logic the older generation will have payed their NI which will cover their state pension.

However I'm intrigued to understand how increasing the population by 4 is going to help global warming.!!

Manchester (she/her)

Without children and the next generations, who is going to come up with the next big idea to save humanity? Or wipe Nigel’s dribble, as he stares out of his care home window aged 98 on every drug known to man, or continue paying tax to sustain society....??? Pretty weak statement, not your fault!

Using your own logic the older generation will have payed their NI which will cover their state pension.

However I'm intrigued to understand how increasing the population by 4 is going to help global warming.!!"

I don't have kids, best thing I can do to help the planet

However I'm intrigued to understand how increasing the population by 4 is going to help global warming.!!

I don't have kids, best thing I can do to help the planet "

Without sounding rude, this not having kids is green Chat is totally incorrect partly for points I’ve already stated. But also the U.K. population birth rate is in rapid decline! The U.K. government needs to encourage larger families, because without a substantial workforce in the future there will be no

Future!!! Jesus Christ this is painful.

Falkirk

Without sounding rude, this not having kids is green Chat is totally incorrect partly for points I’ve already stated. But also the U.K. population birth rate is in rapid decline! The U.K. government needs to encourage larger families, because without a substantial workforce in the future there will be no

Future!!! Jesus Christ this is painful. "

What's painful is you trying to justify that UK has a rapid decline in children and larger families, so we should all feed and breed to offset this.

What's painful is you trying to justify that UK has a rapid decline in children and larger families, so we should all feed and breed to offset this. "

No

Idea what you are talking about.

The current birth rate for U.K. in 2022 is 11.322 births per 1000 people, a 0.48% decline from 2021. The birth rate for U.K. in 2021 was 11.377 births per 1000 people, a 0.49% decline from 2020. The birth rate for U.K. in 2020 was 11.433 births per 1000 people, a 0.48% decline from 2019.

Continuous declining population is a serious societal problem that is happening!?

So I’m Ron Burgandy?!

Falkirk

So where are all these people going to work?

This is not the Victorian era.

Technology has moved on, automation is huge part of what's left of mass manufacturing in the UK.

I find it funny that this whole thread is you removing people's choices.

"So where are all these people going to work?

This is not the Victorian era.

Technology has moved on, automation is huge part of what's left of mass manufacturing in the UK.

I find it funny that this whole thread is you removing people's choices.

"

Ok dude. Yes. Ok! Yes.

Good one! Yes! Ok. Yes

By *iddle ManMan  over a year ago

Walsall

Don't worry about it. Not much you can do about it unless your high up in power in parliament or have the ear of a cabinet minister.

How exactly are you OP paying for this debt? Direct debit, standing order, or in blood donations I'm sure I'm not paying a penny towards it, and we seem to be Similar generation OP. We will all be paying some pay in taxes etc but that is everyone. Not just a single generation.

It's not anyone asked for the massive amounts of debt for any reason but its there.

Tinsel Town

What's painful is you trying to justify that UK has a rapid decline in children and larger families, so we should all feed and breed to offset this.

No

The current birth rate for U.K. in 2022 is 11.322 births per 1000 people, a 0.48% decline from 2021. The birth rate for U.K. in 2021 was 11.377 births per 1000 people, a 0.49% decline from 2020. The birth rate for U.K. in 2020 was 11.433 births per 1000 people, a 0.48% decline from 2019.

Continuous declining population is a serious societal problem that is happening!?

So I’m Ron Burgandy?!

"

This has gone off topic now OP and I fail to see the relivence of the above post.

I can't speak for others, but the general consensus is no, the national pension should not be capped or removed just because some has additional income.

in Lancashire

Mate, your talking bollocks..

I'm grey now but as a younger none grey bloke I worked two jobs through most of the 80s and 90s, my main role was emergency services but even with the other half going back part time in the NHS my salary left us tight..

I could have whined that it was all the fault of other generations but tbh that would have been pointless and irrelevant..

And the older generations before us, well they are the ones who post war helped to build the welfare state and the NHS ..

Stop whining about what you incorrectly think caused whatever you think your problems are now, go and sort it..

No

So I’m Ron Burgandy?!

This has gone off topic now OP and I fail to see the relivence of the above post.

I can't speak for others, but the general consensus is no, the national pension should not be capped or removed just because some has additional income. "

Fair enough, but why is it ok to means test pretty much everything else - just because you have paid a tax?

My x wife couldn’t work, she had 4 children to look after, my income meant we didn’t qualify for any support, no childcare support, working tax credits... sweet f A. But I’ve paid the tax.... I’m not moaning about that, I’m happy to contribute. I am of the firm belief that the state pension savings scheme as I am now calling it, could generate billions to invest in renewable energy.

I think it’s disgusting that the state pension is not means tested.

If in the unlikely event I ever reach retirement age... I will donate my state pension to Charity!

I

Couldn’t live with the Shame!

By *mateur100Man  over a year ago

nr faversham

No

So I’m Ron Burgandy?!

I can't speak for others, but the general consensus is no, the national pension should not be capped or removed just because some has additional income.

Fair enough, but why is it ok to means test pretty much everything else - just because you have paid a tax?

My x wife couldn’t work, she had 4 children to look after, my income meant we didn’t qualify for any support, no childcare support, working tax credits... sweet f A. But I’ve paid the tax.... I’m not moaning about that, I’m happy to contribute. I am of the firm belief that the state pension savings scheme as I am now calling it, could generate billions to invest in renewable energy.

If in the unlikely event I ever reach retirement age... I will donate my state pension to Charity!

I

Couldn’t live with the Shame! "

Highly unlikely because in that unlikely event, your views are almost certain to have changed and you will most likely take what you are entitled to

No

So I’m Ron Burgandy?!

I

Highly unlikely because in that unlikely event, your views are almost certain to have changed and you will most likely take what you are entitled to "

I do not feel entitled to anything. I’m used to not being entitled to any state support, the states assumption that due to my income (which they hungrily savaged) every month, was my single income was enough to

Support 4 children, a wife, pay a massive mortgage, tuition fees, bupa health insurance. They assumed wrong and it near enough killed me!

I can’t bare the state, I can’t bare government, I can’t bare people’s reliance on state handouts.

In truth I’m planning on going off grid.

No! I don’t want any fucking help! I can help myself! No

More tax

No more bills

No more FUCKING HMRC

Fuck off to

It all

!

ROMFORD

No

So I’m Ron Burgandy?!

I

Highly unlikely because in that unlikely event, your views are almost certain to have changed and you will most likely take what you are entitled to

I do not feel entitled to anything. I’m used to not being entitled to any state support, the states assumption that due to my income (which they hungrily savaged) every month, was my single income was enough to

Support 4 children, a wife, pay a massive mortgage, tuition fees, bupa health insurance. They assumed wrong and it near enough killed me!

I can’t bare the state, I can’t bare government, I can’t bare people’s reliance on state handouts.

More tax

No more bills

No more FUCKING HMRC

Fuck off to

It all

! "

However the state pension is not a state handout.

You pay your NI contributions up until you retire then you get your state pension.

It's funny that you moan about people getting state handouts at the same time moaning about not getting them yourself.!

ONS publishes state pension data. I was shocked to see how many have personal wealth over £1million and personal income over £40k

Why are they getting state pension? It should be a national scandal! "

probably because they paid into it infact probably paid more than most I have no problem if they've paid on so can take out even if millions in the bank.

No

So I’m Ron Burgandy?!

I

More tax

No more bills

No more FUCKING HMRC

Fuck off to

It all

!

However the state pension is not a state handout.

You pay your NI contributions up until you retire then you get your state pension.

It's funny that you moan about people getting state handouts at the same time moaning about not getting them yourself.!"

Weird why someone would find that irritating! Funny, hilarious!!!

By *eroy1000Man  over a year ago

milton keynes

When we had a pension meeting at work we was told that to qualify for the state pension you need to have worked 35 year's (I think). If you have not worked the full 35 year's then you get a reduced amount based on the time you have actually worked. So it is related to what you put in.

By *ornucopiaMan  over a year ago

Bexley

"

However I'm intrigued to understand how increasing the population by 4 is going to help global warming.!!"

Easy. 4 times more people to ingrain with a guilty conscience over 'ruining the planet'. That will make them much more compliant with 'planet saving' fiscal initiatives.

Increasing the population by 4 times will undoubtedly have an adverse effect on the planet including, possibly, an element of global warming (which is probably the least of our worries which will result from over population).

"When we had a pension meeting at work we was told that to qualify for the state pension you need to have worked 35 year's (I think). If you have not worked the full 35 year's then you get a reduced amount based on the time you have actually worked. So it is related to what you put in. "

I get that! And that’s fair for the vast majority of people! But some exist who in addition to state pension earn an additional £35k plus.

In the light of covid, (who the measures were aimed at saving) and the climate emergency.

I’m suggesting this group swollow it and give back something they don’t really need! I mean how many times does des and barbra need to go to Benidorm?

By *otMe66Man  over a year ago

Terra Firma

"When we had a pension meeting at work we was told that to qualify for the state pension you need to have worked 35 year's (I think). If you have not worked the full 35 year's then you get a reduced amount based on the time you have actually worked. So it is related to what you put in.

I get that! And that’s fair for the vast majority of people! But some exist who in addition to state pension earn an additional £35k plus.

In the light of covid, (who the measures were aimed at saving) and the climate emergency.

I’m suggesting this group swollow it and give back something they don’t really need! I mean how many times does des and barbra need to go to Benidorm? "

Yet you can't swallow the tax you have paid and not being able to get any form of support....

You will get some of it back when you reach retirement age, now doesn't that make you feel all fluffy inside, something to look forward to.

Got to be better than beating yourself with your own argument on swingers forum

"When we had a pension meeting at work we was told that to qualify for the state pension you need to have worked 35 year's (I think). If you have not worked the full 35 year's then you get a reduced amount based on the time you have actually worked. So it is related to what you put in.

I’m suggesting this group swollow it and give back something they don’t really need! I mean how many times does des and barbra need to go to Benidorm?

Yet you can't swallow the tax you have paid and not being able to get any form of support....

You will get some of it back when you reach retirement age, now doesn't that make you feel all fluffy inside, something to look forward to.

Got to be better than beating yourself with your own argument on swingers forum "

Fair point! Well said!

ROMFORD

I’m suggesting this group swollow it and give back something they don’t really need! I mean how many times does des and barbra need to go to Benidorm? "

That £35K would be based on what they paid in and saved for their retirement.

Then when they receive that £35k they will be paying income tax on it as well because you are only allowed £12.7K tax free a year.

Manchester (she/her)

Future!!! Jesus Christ this is painful. "

So you think I create more pollution than you and all your children?

I can support kids in other countries who are just as able to help the future as British kids, and cause less environmental damage.

By *eroy1000Man  over a year ago

milton keynes

As you say the £35K is earnt money so I do not see a problem with it. They have either paid a lot into a private pension or maybe invested wisely and reaping the rewards. Also that £35k will be taxed so they will be paying a lot of tax even though they are retired. Someone who just gets state pension may not be paying any tax. Look on the bright side , one day you get the pension

By *oversfunCouple  over a year ago

ayrshire

I’m fed up with democracy! Must be something better! If my boiler was 2000 years old, I’d be freezing my bollocks off... oh wait I’m freezing my bollocks off because of the failure of an 2000 year old system and 50 years of energy inaction.

Please vote SNP, vote for independence and we (The British) can build a beautiful shining wall! Remove every bit of military hardware, every ambulance, every fire engine and every school book and annex fastland. That should settle the divorce bill. We will ignore Scottish contribution to national debt. Wink wink geez!!

Good luck with Nicola! She’s clearly delivering for Scotland! Lol"

Where will you get the money to build your shinny wall as the uk is skint ?,you can have your nukes back no probs,and as for divorce bill and national debt im pretty sure scotland has no borrowing powers so has no debt,the uk will be bankrupt within a cpl yrs without scotlands resources thats why they are desperate to keep us in the union

By *bernathCouple  over a year ago

Gloucestershire

I say we call the Equalizer.

By *ove2pleaseseukMan  over a year ago

Hastings

Climate

Covid

Social care

Energy crisis

Brexit"

I don't see that there realy is an Energy crisis just go back to how it was in the 60'

Every one walk to school we did not have a car.

Turn off the central heating as I the 60'S there was none throw out all the electronics we had 1 radio. Get rid of the dishwasher, wShing machines. Etc.

Wash in the sink with a flanel then run 1 bath of hot water on bath night and all use the same water. think you will save so much.

Brighton

In amongst all the ranting and seemingly contradictory points being made, I think there is an interesting debate to be had.

So as a counterpoint, here is another view...

Q. What if your entitlement to, and amount received, for state pension, NHS treatment, benefits was based on how much you have paid in (with a floor/baseline to protect the poor, first jobers, children, those with disabilities)?

Would that help to remove some objections to paying more tax?

Climate

Covid

Social care

Energy crisis

Brexit

I don't see that there realy is an Energy crisis just go back to how it was in the 60'

Turn off the central heating as I the 60'S there was none throw out all the electronics we had 1 radio. Get rid of the dishwasher, wShing machines. Etc.

Wash in the sink with a flanel then run 1 bath of hot water on bath night and all use the same water. think you will save so much. "

Doesn't exactly sound like the nirvana that the eco nuts have been promising us.

Brighton

Climate

Covid

Social care

Energy crisis

Brexit

Wash in the sink with a flanel then run 1 bath of hot water on bath night and all use the same water. think you will save so much.

Doesn't exactly sound like the nirvana that the eco nuts have been promising us."

Brexit reality though

Climate

Covid

Social care

Energy crisis

Brexit

Doesn't exactly sound like the nirvana that the eco nuts have been promising us.

Brexit reality though "

Things are so much better in the EU, what with the state criminalising anyone who's got their thermostat at the wrong temperature.

golden fields

Climate

Covid

Social care

Energy crisis

Brexit

Brexit reality though "

Yes.

Now if only the government could move us away from fossil fuels, we can have cheap energy not dependent on outside market prices.

Or we could just leave it to get worse and worse while the oil companies continue to post billions in profit.

golden fields

Climate

Covid

Social care

Energy crisis

Brexit

Brexit reality though

Things are so much better in the EU, what with the state criminalising anyone who's got their thermostat at the wrong temperature."

1. The EU isn't a state.

2. You've made this up.

3. You seem angry about the thing you've made up.

Climate

Covid

Social care

Energy crisis

Brexit

Brexit reality though

Yes.

Now if only the government could move us away from fossil fuels, we can have cheap energy not dependent on outside market prices.

Or we could just leave it to get worse and worse while the oil companies continue to post billions in profit."

More "jam tomorrow" from the deluded eco nut.

golden fields

Climate

Covid

Social care

Energy crisis

Brexit

Brexit reality though

Yes.

Or we could just leave it to get worse and worse while the oil companies continue to post billions in profit.

More "jam tomorrow" from the deluded eco nut."

I don't know if you're trolling, or genuinely confused about climate science.

Either way, the advice is the same. Take a moment to learn about it. It's not that complex to understand. That will help you a lot in these discussions.

Having a strong opinion on something only matters if you understand the subject matter.

Climate

Covid

Social care

Energy crisis

Brexit

Brexit reality though

Yes.

Either way, the advice is the same. Take a moment to learn about it. It's not that complex to understand. That will help you a lot in these discussions.

Having a strong opinion on something only matters if you understand the subject matter. "

Keep downing that Kool Aid. You are like some modern day Comical Ali.

golden fields

Climate

Covid

Social care

Energy crisis

Brexit

Brexit reality though

Yes.

Having a strong opinion on something only matters if you understand the subject matter.

Keep downing that Kool Aid. You are like some modern day Comical Ali."

So just trolling then, with no actual points to make?

You should try to upgrade from personal insults and "what about someone else" arguments, if you want anyone to do anything except poke fun at your posts.

Climate

Covid

Social care

Energy crisis

Brexit

Brexit reality though

Yes.

You should try to upgrade from personal insults and "what about someone else" arguments, if you want anyone to do anything except poke fun at your posts."

Quite, I really don't know why you bother responding to my posts.

I don't really care what you think. It's sad that you have been so badly brainwashed, it's presumably down to a poor education on top of a mediocre natural intelligence.

There is still time to educate and improve yourself. You may also want to visit China and protest there. They can do far more about the "climate crisis" than puny Britain ever will be able to.

golden fields

Climate

Covid

Social care

Energy crisis

Brexit

Brexit reality though

Yes.

You should try to upgrade from personal insults and "what about someone else" arguments, if you want anyone to do anything except poke fun at your posts.

I don't really care what you think. It's sad that you have been so badly brainwashed, it's presumably down to a poor education on top of a mediocre natural intelligence.

There is still time to educate and improve yourself. You may also want to visit China and protest there. They can do far more about the "climate crisis" than puny Britain ever will be able to. "

If climate science isn't real, why does any of this matter?

Anyway, you still can't seem to articulate any point beyond some generic personal insults. Which is sad to see.

Climate

Covid

Social care

Energy crisis

Brexit

Brexit reality though

Yes.

There is still time to educate and improve yourself. You may also want to visit China and protest there. They can do far more about the "climate crisis" than puny Britain ever will be able to.

Anyway, you still can't seem to articulate any point beyond some generic personal insults. Which is sad to see."

Shouldn't you be out blocking some roads or something? The planet is literally dying and here you are using up valuable power posting rubbish on the internet.

Hypocrite.

golden fields

Climate

Covid

Social care

Energy crisis

Brexit

Brexit reality though

Yes.

Anyway, you still can't seem to articulate any point beyond some generic personal insults. Which is sad to see.

Shouldn't you be out blocking some roads or something? The planet is literally dying and here you are using up valuable power posting rubbish on the internet.

Hypocrite."

ROMFORD

Climate

Covid

Social care

Energy crisis

Brexit

Brexit reality though

Yes.

Or we could just leave it to get worse and worse while the oil companies continue to post billions in profit."

Please explain in detail how moving away from fossil fuels will lead to cheap energy?

The last time I checked, wind turbines, solar panels, nuclear power stations etc cost money to build, run, maintain and replace. No energy producer or supplier is going to be cost free and all companies need to make a profit.

golden fields

Climate

Covid

Social care

Energy crisis

Brexit

Brexit reality though

Yes.

Please explain in detail how moving away from fossil fuels will lead to cheap energy?

The last time I checked, wind turbines, solar panels, nuclear power stations etc cost money to build, run, maintain and replace. No energy producer or supplier is going to be cost free and all companies need to make a profit."

Yes. It costs money, less than fossil fuels though.

No one said anything about cost free

Fossil fuel prices are controlled externally, and will continue to increase.

Wind, solar, wave, hydro, biogas, geothermal etc, will not.

By *ornucopiaMan  over a year ago

Bexley

"

Future!!!

Jesus Christ this is painful.

So you think I create more pollution than you and all your children?

I can support kids in other countries who are just as able to help the future as British kids, and cause less environmental damage."

I am disturbed by the implication from one of the above contributors that only 'British' children will be of any use for providing the country's workforce.

I decided not to have children round about 1970 because of the way I could see the world evolving. Since then, I haven't noticed a world shortage of potential workers trending.

Ironically, there are huge numbers wanting to come here and become employed, while many of Britain's worthy but spoilt offspring are turning their noses up at any form of work. Let's see whose children save our economy in the long run, shall we?

» Add a new message to this topic