FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > Politics > Can admit failure?

Can admit failure?

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *mateur100 OP   Man  over a year ago

nr faversham

I'm a guy who has,in the main, voted Tory. I'm of the opinion that any opportunities of Brexit have been lost, promises over health and social care have been abandoned and I don't believe the current bunch of Tories can be trusted or elected for another term. If the shoe was on the other foot, could labour voters say the same?????

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *ouple in LancashireCouple  over a year ago

in Lancashire

Yes, voted for Blair in 97 by and large to get the Tories out then didn't vote for him in his next two wins..

Essentially as he was Tory lite..

By *rHotNottsMan  over a year ago

Cebu City

"I'm a guy who has,in the main, voted Tory. I'm of the opinion that any opportunities of Brexit have been lost, promises over health and social care have been abandoned and I don't believe the current bunch of Tories can be trusted or elected for another term. If the shoe was on the other foot, could labour voters say the same?????"

I don’t vote but I imagine most peoples political views are fixed. I can’t imagine a labour person ever voting Tory or vice Versa, they would need to be very confused what they believe in.

nr faversham

"I'm a guy who has,in the main, voted Tory. I'm of the opinion that any opportunities of Brexit have been lost, promises over health and social care have been abandoned and I don't believe the current bunch of Tories can be trusted or elected for another term. If the shoe was on the other foot, could labour voters say the same?????

I don’t vote but I imagine most peoples political views are fixed. I can’t imagine a labour person ever voting Tory or vice Versa, they would need to be very confused what they believe in. "

Really? I would assume the ability to change from one to another was the whole point

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

I've voted for four different parties since 1997. No idea about next General election yet.

By *naswingdressWoman  over a year ago

Manchester (she/her)

I'm not a loyal voter. I vote based on politics and record.

But my friends who have been Labour voters for decades did very much ditch Labour over certain policies.

By *penbicoupleCouple  over a year ago

Northampton

I don't think I could vote Tory, because that's more about my values than any parties actions or failed promises.

However, as someone else said, I voted for Blair in 97, but voted Lib Dem in the next election.

By *oubleswing2019Man  over a year ago

Colchester

My voting priorities have changed over the years. When I was 18 and didn't have much world experience and led a sheltered life, I voted for a party that served my interests solely.

As I've grown older, I've realised that a rising tide lifts all boats, and voting for society betterment is more important than voting for my own personal gain.

I was fortunate enough to break out of a "bubble" and be humbled by the experiences of others much less fortunate than myself.

I decided that I could not in all good conscience make a vote purely for my needs anymore, and voting that way was part of the problem, because if the status quo doesn't change then entropy sets in.

Personally, I'd like to see a permanent coalition government all the time, with no one party having absolute control.

A bit like marriage, I suppose. Both contribute. Both balance and temper each other. (Ideally at least !)

By *otMe66Man  over a year ago

Terra Firma

"I'm a guy who has,in the main, voted Tory. I'm of the opinion that any opportunities of Brexit have been lost, promises over health and social care have been abandoned and I don't believe the current bunch of Tories can be trusted or elected for another term. If the shoe was on the other foot, could labour voters say the same?????

I don’t vote but I imagine most peoples political views are fixed. I can’t imagine a labour person ever voting Tory or vice Versa, they would need to be very confused what they believe in. "

How did conservatives win the last general election?

By *heshbifellaMan  over a year ago

Crewe

"Yes, voted for Blair in 97 by and large to get the Tories out then didn't vote for him in his next two wins..

Essentially as he was Tory lite.."

Yes, also voted for Blair in 97 and then again in 01.

Voted Conservative ever since Iraq and everything that followed. New Labour didn't put a foot wrong though in the early years.

Labour always does best when it moves to the centre ground (or even a bit to the right like Tony Blair did) but still pursues progressive policies. Amongst other things, New Labour achieved:

Longest period of sustained low inflation since the 60s.

Introduced the National Minimum Wage

Wrote off up to 100 per cent of debt owed by poorest countries.

Brought back matrons to hospital wards.

Devolved power to the Scottish Parliament.

Devolved power to the Welsh Assembly.

Dads got paternity leave of 2 weeks for the first time.

Introduced the Equality and Human Rights Commission.

£200 winter fuel payment to pensioners & up to £300 for over-80s

Restored devolved government to Northern Ireland. Good Friday agreement.

All full time workers got a right to 24 days paid holiday.

Introduced child tax credit giving more money to parents.

Scrapped anti gay Tory law Section 28 and introduced Civil Partnerships. Equalised gay age of consent to 16.

Banned fox hunting.

Free TV licences for over-75s.

Banned fur farming.

Free breast cancer screening for all women aged between 50-70.

Free off peak local bus travel for over-60s.

New Deal - helped over 1.8 million people into work.

Over 3 million child trust funds were started.

Free eye tests for over 60s.

More than doubled the number of apprenticeships.

Free entry to national museums and galleries.

Cut long-term youth unemployment by 75 per cent.

Free nursery places for every three and four-year-olds.

Free fruit for most four to six-year-olds at school.

This was good Government but then Iraq and Afghanistan changed everything and Tony Blair wedded himself too much to ultra right wing George W Bush and became ultra pro EU with Britain being one of just 3 EU countries allowing unrestricted movement of people. Then Gordon Brown called a Rochdale voter a 'bigoted old woman' and demanded 'who put me with that woman' and it was game over. Liam Byrne revealed there was no money left and I was glad to see them go.

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

You weren't aware of the red wall then at the last election where traditional labour voters voted Tory?

By *ohnnyTwoNotesMan  over a year ago

golden fields

"I'm a guy who has,in the main, voted Tory. I'm of the opinion that any opportunities of Brexit have been lost, promises over health and social care have been abandoned and I don't believe the current bunch of Tories can be trusted or elected for another term. If the shoe was on the other foot, could labour voters say the same?????"

Interesting thread.

I've only voted labour once, and they got elected in my constituency (not because of my single vote ). I kept a close eye on my MPs voting record as I always do. They voted the way I would have wanted them to most of the time. Had they not, I would have written to them a lot and yes I definitely would have regretted my vote.

By *irldnCouple  over a year ago

Brighton

"Yes, voted for Blair in 97 by and large to get the Tories out then didn't vote for him in his next two wins..

Essentially as he was Tory lite..

Yes, also voted for Blair in 97 and then again in 01.

Voted Conservative ever since Iraq and everything that followed. New Labour didn't put a foot wrong though in the early years.

Labour always does best when it moves to the centre ground (or even a bit to the right like Tony Blair did) but still pursues progressive policies. Amongst other things, New Labour achieved:

Longest period of sustained low inflation since the 60s.

Introduced the National Minimum Wage

Wrote off up to 100 per cent of debt owed by poorest countries.

Brought back matrons to hospital wards.

Devolved power to the Scottish Parliament.

Devolved power to the Welsh Assembly.

Dads got paternity leave of 2 weeks for the first time.

Introduced the Equality and Human Rights Commission.

£200 winter fuel payment to pensioners & up to £300 for over-80s

Restored devolved government to Northern Ireland. Good Friday agreement.

All full time workers got a right to 24 days paid holiday.

Introduced child tax credit giving more money to parents.

Scrapped anti gay Tory law Section 28 and introduced Civil Partnerships. Equalised gay age of consent to 16.

Banned fox hunting.

Free TV licences for over-75s.

Banned fur farming.

Free breast cancer screening for all women aged between 50-70.

Free off peak local bus travel for over-60s.

New Deal - helped over 1.8 million people into work.

Over 3 million child trust funds were started.

Free eye tests for over 60s.

More than doubled the number of apprenticeships.

Free entry to national museums and galleries.

Cut long-term youth unemployment by 75 per cent.

Free nursery places for every three and four-year-olds.

Free fruit for most four to six-year-olds at school.

This was good Government but then Iraq and Afghanistan changed everything and Tony Blair wedded himself too much to ultra right wing George W Bush and became ultra pro EU with Britain being one of just 3 EU countries allowing unrestricted movement of people. Then Gordon Brown called a Rochdale voter a 'bigoted old woman' and demanded 'who put me with that woman' and it was game over. Liam Byrne revealed there was no money left and I was glad to see them go. "

Impressive list of achievements for Blair’s first term (were all those in first term?)

I am with you on Iraq. I marched against it (causing huge disruption and disturbance which may not be possible in future). I felt very let down and it got worse with the stink around lack of WMDs.

The Liam Byrne thing is a bit of a myth (or mistelling). The letter existed but was based on a tradition of outgoing Chancellors to leave a jokey letter to their successor. It was a poor decision with bad optics. However, it isn’t true “there’s no money” (note that he didn’t say “no money left”) because that isn’t how governments are funded.

Due to the financial crisis in 2008 Govt borrowing spiked to bail out the banks, taking ownership or a significant shareholding. There was a recession because of the financial crisis meaning tax receipts were also down. The Govt could issue Gilts but Osborne wanted to reduce the deficit. The letter became a political tool but was not really an accurate reflection of what the situation actually was.

By *innMan  over a year ago

edinburgh

Scotland hasn’t vote for a Tory government in over half a century.

Can you believe that!

Scotland abandoned the Labour Party after the 2014 referendum when the Labour Party piled into the Tory bus to stop a Scottish independence result. Hence your Labour Party finds it very hard to get enough mos to challenge the Tory’s

So the Tory’s will stay in power until English voters change their minds.

In the meantime Scotland won’t vote Tory.

By *eroy1000Man  over a year ago

milton keynes

There are some that will vote the same regardless of what they do. This is for all parties. However I think more will vote based on performance or ideas or promises and not worry so much what the party is actually called. I vote conservative more than others but will vote for others if they convince me. For the next GE I will not vote conservative due to performance so need to see who convinces me the most from the other parties or find an independent if possible

nr faversham

I don’t vote but I imagine most peoples political views are fixed. I can’t imagine a labour person ever voting Tory or vice Versa, they would need to be very confused what they believe in.

There are some that will vote the same regardless of what they do. This is for all parties. However I think more will vote based on performance or ideas or promises and not worry so much what the party is actually called. I vote conservative more than others but will vote for others if they convince me. For the next GE I will not vote conservative due to performance so need to see who convinces me the most from the other parties or find an independent if possible"

That's my view but I'm of the opinion that there's at least 30-35% who will vote one way no matter what.

By *irldnCouple  over a year ago

Brighton

There are some that will vote the same regardless of what they do. This is for all parties. However I think more will vote based on performance or ideas or promises and not worry so much what the party is actually called. I vote conservative more than others but will vote for others if they convince me. For the next GE I will not vote conservative due to performance so need to see who convinces me the most from the other parties or find an independent if possible

That's my view but I'm of the opinion that there's at least 30-35% who will vote one way no matter what. "

It’s called the footballisation of politics. It’s all about tribalism. “They’re my team no matter what!”

The continued support for the Johnson led government of self serving inept crooks proves that.

By *eroy1000Man  over a year ago

milton keynes

That's my view but I'm of the opinion that there's at least 30-35% who will vote one way no matter what. "

I would guess at a smaller figure but that's just an opinion. From conversations with older family members and work colleague's it seems it is less than it used to be.

By *alking HeadMan  over a year ago

Bolton

I've voted Labour almost every time, certainly in general elections anyway. I have voted, green, lib Dem and conservative in my local council elections, just because the incumbent labour ones were such bumbling fuckwitted arse heads. And as bent as a nine bob note.

» Add a new message to this topic