FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > Politics > Tax rises in Scotland

Tax rises in Scotland

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *teveuk77 OP   Man  over a year ago

uk

so, it looks like the Scottish Government are going screw higher rate and top rate even more by increasing by a further 1p.

This means that someone earning £50,271 in Scotland will be paying just under £1,500 more income tax than elsewhere in the UK.

At £43,663, the tax payer is going to be paying 42p tax and 12.25p NI... Effectively 54.25p taxation. This salary is below what an experienced teacher will be earning when they get their agreed pay rise.

There is almost no point in people pushing themselves beyond £43k.

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *ercuryMan  over a year ago

Grantham

Oh dear, this has gone well.

Who is doing the leaking?

uk

"Oh dear, this has gone well.

Who is doing the leaking?"

shambles...

By *eroy1000Man  over a year ago

milton keynes

"so, it looks like the Scottish Government are going screw higher rate and top rate even more by increasing by a further 1p.

This means that someone earning £50,271 in Scotland will be paying just under £1,500 more income tax than elsewhere in the UK.

At £43,663, the tax payer is going to be paying 42p tax and 12.25p NI... Effectively 54.25p taxation. This salary is below what an experienced teacher will be earning when they get their agreed pay rise.

"

If I live in England but work in Scotland do I pay Scottish tax or English. Or is it the other way around in that if I live in Scotland but work in England I would pay less tax. There was an article on the BBC a while back when truss wanted to lower higher income tax in England and they were showing the differences but can't find it now

By *oversfunCouple  over a year ago

ayrshire

"so, it looks like the Scottish Government are going screw higher rate and top rate even more by increasing by a further 1p.

"

Dont see a problem taxing higher earners ,do you complain when you get free prescriptions or if you have children and they receive the extra £25 per week child fund or the money you save in uni fees ?,its called helping out if you can

uk

Dont see a problem taxing higher earners ,do you complain when you get free prescriptions or if you have children and they receive the extra £25 per week child fund or the money you save in uni fees ?,its called helping out if you can "

I think you've missed the point. It's not about taxing high earners more than lower earners. It's over taxing. Do you think that £43k is a high earner? Someone on £43k could be a one income household with a couple of kids. I very much doubt that someone in that position is currently in a "helping out as you can" situation.

As for free prescriptions, in England, 90% of prescriptions are dispensed for free so the additional cost to scotland for free prescriptions isn't huge. Most higher tax payers are in an age group that don't frequently need prescriptions so really not something that they benefit from. Someone earning £50k is going to pay something like an additional £60 a year in tax. That's equivalent on 5 or 6 prescriptions.

Scottish Child Fund? Is that the Scottish Child Payment. That's a means tested benefit. Certainly something that a higher tax payer is entitled to.

As for free uni, did you forget that uni used to be free across the UK. Don't try and justify additional taxation with a bad decision that has been made in Westminster.

By *oversfunCouple  over a year ago

ayrshire

Dont see a problem taxing higher earners ,do you complain when you get free prescriptions or if you have children and they receive the extra £25 per week child fund or the money you save in uni fees ?,its called helping out if you can

I think you've missed the point. It's not about taxing high earners more than lower earners. It's over taxing. Do you think that £43k is a high earner? Someone on £43k could be a one income household with a couple of kids. I very much doubt that someone in that position is currently in a "helping out as you can" situation.

As for free prescriptions, in England, 90% of prescriptions are dispensed for free so the additional cost to scotland for free prescriptions isn't huge. Most higher tax payers are in an age group that don't frequently need prescriptions so really not something that they benefit from. Someone earning £50k is going to pay something like an additional £60 a year in tax. That's equivalent on 5 or 6 prescriptions.

Scottish Child Fund? Is that the Scottish Child Payment. That's a means tested benefit. Certainly something that a higher tax payer is entitled to.

As for free uni, did you forget that uni used to be free across the UK. Don't try and justify additional taxation with a bad decision that has been made in Westminster."

Disagree with what you say im more than happy to pay more tax

uk

As for free uni, did you forget that uni used to be free across the UK. Don't try and justify additional taxation with a bad decision that has been made in Westminster.

Disagree with what you say im more than happy to pay more tax "

At what tax rate would you find unacceptable? I assume that you are either 42p or 47p at the moment.

By *bernathCouple  over a year ago

Gloucestershire

Good the Scottish Parliament is actually raising taxes to pay for public services.

Some might say this is not good but it needs to be done.

uk

"Good the Scottish Parliament is actually raising taxes to pay for public services.

Some might say this is not good but it needs to be done."

Scots are already taxed much more than south of the border. Scotland is the 3rd highest contributor to the UK economy out of all of the regions of the UK. If taxes should rise to pay for the services then this should be done proportionally rather than continue to hammer those earning £43k and above.

I assume that you are happy to apply the same logic to tax payers south of the border? You know given that it needs to be done...

uk

"Good the Scottish Parliament is actually raising taxes to pay for public services.

Some might say this is not good but it needs to be done."

You are missing the points. In Scotland, someone earning £50k is paying £1500 more tax that someone earning the same amount in the rest of the UK.

Anyone earning between £43k and £50k is paying tax / NI at 53p (increasing to 54p) but someone earning £55k is paying tax / NI at 43p.

So, someone earning £43k who gets a £1k pay rise only sees £470. Someone earning £55k and gets a £1k pay rise sees £570 after taxes.

The issue really isn't the tax rate but that elsewhere in the UK, NI threshold and tax thresholds are in sync. In Scotland, as soon as you hit higher tax the combined taxes just from 21p to 41p (soon to be 42p). In England, for higher rate, it kicks in at 50p. Income tax jumps 20p to 40p but NI drops by 10p so effectively, taxation just rises by 10p.

I don't object to paying slightly more tax in Scotland. It's a more expensive country to keep running.

By *oolyCoolyCplCouple  over a year ago

Newcastle under Lyme

There's an easy way around it. Salary sacrifice into your pension. Pay less tax AND less national insurance, even less student loan payments too.

By *uietbloke67Man  over a year ago

outside your bedroom window ;-)

I pay the higher rate and they have just announced a trial end to the peak pricing structures on trains, therefore enabling working people to get to work cheaper and putting money into working peoples house.

Great idea, as I say I pay the higher rate of tax and trust me, I'd much rather pay more tax in Scotland that hidden taxes in England.

By *rDiscretionXXXMan  over a year ago

Gilfach

"I'd much rather pay more tax in Scotland than hidden taxes in England."

What are these hidden taxes that the English pay?

Gloucestershire

Scots are already taxed much more than south of the border. Scotland is the 3rd highest contributor to the UK economy out of all of the regions of the UK. If taxes should rise to pay for the services then this should be done proportionally rather than continue to hammer those earning £43k and above.

I assume that you are happy to apply the same logic to tax payers south of the border? You know given that it needs to be done..."

Yes if it pays for public services, it’s the perks for living in this country.

I doubt no one in this country has never ever used our public services, our infrastructure etc,etc

The reality is simple you cut taxes, you cut services.

If I need to pay for nurses, doctors, police, teachers, firefighters and other public workers I would gladly do so.

If they get free training and don’t pay loans, I would be happy to pay for it, also I would increase quotas for training so we can have efficient and modern services.

I am not upset to do that. Only tight fisted people refuse to pay their way.

uk

"There's an easy way around it. Salary sacrifice into your pension. Pay less tax AND less national insurance, even less student loan payments too."

Yes, that's an option for those who can which does include me. But what you are suggesting reduces net income from current position..great if you don't actually need that level of income.

As I have said, I don't object to higher taxes for those earning more. I don't object to an extra penny or two over English tax payers. It's that double whammy higher tax and NI between £43k and £50k and then they throw on top of that another penny.

If you are earning £55k, £12k would have to go into pension to avoid paying 54p on every pound.

uk

I assume that you are happy to apply the same logic to tax payers south of the border? You know given that it needs to be done...

I doubt no one in this country has never ever used our public services, our infrastructure etc,etc

If I need to pay for nurses, doctors, police, teachers, firefighters and other public workers I would gladly do so.

If they get free training and don’t pay loans, I would be happy to pay for it, also I would increase quotas for training so we can have efficient and modern services.

I am not upset to do that. Only tight fisted people refuse to pay their way."

I don't think there are any perks for living in this country. The public services don't meet the level of spending.

You talk there about tax rises paying for public services. That's not what the Scottish Government are planning on doing with the increase. The extra taxes arent going to go towards the services I use.

By *I TwoCouple  over a year ago

all around

"

You don't pay 42p tax on the £43663 only the salary over that amount.

By *eroy1000Man  over a year ago

milton keynes

I don't think there are any perks for living in this country. The public services don't meet the level of spending.

You talk there about tax rises paying for public services. That's not what the Scottish Government are planning on doing with the increase. The extra taxes arent going to go towards the services I use."

Some might have to go towards pay rises as well. I am not sure if the rise is to improve services or just maintain them at the current level. There might be enough to buy another ferry as well

Gloucestershire

You talk there about tax rises paying for public services. That's not what the Scottish Government are planning on doing with the increase. The extra taxes arent going to go towards the services I use."

Well of course because no-one is paying taxes to cover the spend.

So you claim the taxes are not going on services you use? It’s a ludicrous statement. Because that’s what taxes do, is to support the infrastructure of a country, unless you’re accusing the Scottish government of stealing money from the pot.

Only tight fisted people hate being taxed. Its a disease which needs to be stamped out.

By *loscouplegl3Couple  over a year ago

Gloucester

"

Do you think that £43k is a high earner? "

Are you having a laugh!?!

Yes! Obviously!

By *ne Pass drillingMan  over a year ago

Northampton

You talk there about tax rises paying for public services. That's not what the Scottish Government are planning on doing with the increase. The extra taxes arent going to go towards the services I use.

So you claim the taxes are not going on services you use? It’s a ludicrous statement. Because that’s what taxes do, is to support the infrastructure of a country, unless you’re accusing the Scottish government of stealing money from the pot.

Only tight fisted people hate being taxed. Its a disease which needs to be stamped out."

. Maybe the tight fisted people to whom you refer simply recognise that we have a responsibility to spend public money in the most efficient manner possible. Spending excess sums of money does not necessary equate to a good service. Only a small section of society are members of a white middle class elite who believe in unlimited public expenditure. Like a lot of people I prefer to consider the needs of ordinary working people who work very hard to provide for their families . They hardly want to see public money wasted . There are a few members on here who have actually boasted of their wealth and how much they earn and still claim to sympathise with the low paid . Maybe some of these highly paid posters need to get into the real world and see how hard some people work in order to provide vital services . I cannot see these people wanting their taxes increased , they are already providing vital services.

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

Dont see a problem taxing higher earners ,do you complain when you get free prescriptions or if you have children and they receive the extra £25 per week child fund or the money you save in uni fees ?,its called helping out if you can "

You're assume that they are on prescription medication and have a child at university. As for the £25 ,they didn't ask for that. They may not even take it.

It's called rabid socialism and it's wrecking the economy.

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

Disagree with what you say im more than happy to pay more tax "

I'm not.

It just destroys the will to try by telling people if you work hard for yourselves and your family you will be punished.

Why not lower tax,bring in private investors to set up businesses and create jobs in the private sector?

It works. It's called the economy.

uk

You don't pay 42p tax on the £43663 only the salary over that amount."

Did you honestly think that, as someone earning above that threshold you needed to explain that to me? Next you be telling me I don't pay any tax on the first £12,xxx...

uk

"

Do you think that £43k is a high earner?

Are you having a laugh!?!

Yes! Obviously! "

It's a decent salary. It's above average but hardly high.

uk

Only tight fisted people hate being taxed. Its a disease which needs to be stamped out."

Yes, I do claim the taxes are not going on the services I use. I listened to the statement. Did you?

uk

As for only tight fisted people...you are being selective. The issue is, as I have pointed out, the huge jump from 21p to 42p whilst NI remains at 12p. Add on a pension and there is very little left on anything above £43k. Imagine pension contributions of 10%. 42p + 12p + 10p... 64p in every pound..I wouldn't object to 42p + 2p + 10p which is still more that 40p + 2p +10p if in England.

As you can see, it's not worth pushing beyond the £43k unless, as mentioned by someone else, anything above £43k goes into a pension so it's not taxed. That certainly doesn't help the Scottish government's finances..

By *lixerMan  over a year ago

Glasgow

I'm for Scandinavian taxes and Scandinavian services in Scotland.

By *rHotNottsMan  over a year ago

Cebu City

"

I remember when kids were little first hitting 50k , single income and losing all child benefit and increase tax so income actually dropped and was getting no help from government whatsoever.

You’re taxed so high in the UK. You’re really better off self employed plus benefits with a family until you’re making 100k or more , you’re going to feel quite poor

all around

Did you honestly think that, as someone earning above that threshold you needed to explain that to me? Next you be telling me I don't pay any tax on the first £12,xxx..."

Then you should be more careful with your wording to ensure people understand what you're trying to say.

uk

Did you honestly think that, as someone earning above that threshold you needed to explain that to me? Next you be telling me I don't pay any tax on the first £12,xxx...

Then you should be more careful with your wording to ensure people understand what you're trying to say."

Or you should probably have realise that someone raising issues about higher rate tax has probably realised by now that their deductions aren't 42% of their salary...thus, your interpretation was incorrect.

uk

I remember when kids were little first hitting 50k , single income and losing all child benefit and increase tax so income actually dropped and was getting no help from government whatsoever.

You’re taxed so high in the UK. You’re really better off self employed plus benefits with a family until you’re making 100k or more , you’re going to feel quite poor"

Another example there where you hit a wall. Although, child benefit is tapered, it may as well be an additional tax for doing well..

all around

"the UK.

"

By *uietbloke67Man  over a year ago

outside your bedroom window ;-)

"I'd much rather pay more tax in Scotland than hidden taxes in England.

What are these hidden taxes that the English pay?"

The high cost of private landlord housing for a start

uk

"the UK.

"

And then the paragraph after that...

"There is almost no point in people pushing themselves beyond £43k."

So, perhaps, taking into account both paragraphs, can you explain why £43,663 becomes a barrier?

"At £43,663" means at that amount the next tax rate is applicable. It really is standard text. I shouldn't have to spell out everything.

You're just being really anal aren't you...

uk

"I'd much rather pay more tax in Scotland than hidden taxes in England.

What are these hidden taxes that the English pay?

The high cost of private landlord housing for a start "

England is a big place with huge regional variations. Scotland fits someone within the range for most things.

By *rDiscretionXXXMan  over a year ago

Gilfach

"I'd much rather pay more tax in Scotland than hidden taxes in England."

"What are these hidden taxes that the English pay?"

"The high cost of private landlord housing for a start "

That's not a tax, the money doesn't go to the government. It's just a case of some places being more expensive to live in than others.

all around

"the UK.

So, perhaps, taking into account both paragraphs, can you explain why £43,663 becomes a barrier?

"At £43,663" means at that amount the next tax rate is applicable. It really is standard text. I shouldn't have to spell out everything.

"

That's it, just be rude.

Bye

By *ove2pleaseseukMan  over a year ago

Hastings

"the UK.

"

That's not quite true as most of what you spend is taxed as well so probably closer to 70p in the pound if that makes you feel better.

Pension is the way out voluntary contributions.

uk

"the UK.

That's it, just be rude.

Bye"

Pedantic then...

By *AFKA HovisMan  over a year ago

Sindon Swingdon Swindon

"the UK.

That's not quite true as most of what you spend is taxed as well so probably closer to 70p in the pound if that makes you feel better.

Pension is the way out voluntary contributions."

pensions largely delay tax. Sure, there's (currently) a tax free payment plus you may be on a lower tax band ... But there's still likely to be some tax.

By *ove2pleaseseukMan  over a year ago

Hastings

"the UK.

Pension is the way out voluntary contributions.pensions largely delay tax. Sure, there's (currently) a tax free payment plus you may be on a lower tax band ... But there's still likely to be some tax. "

True but if your pension is paying you over £43k you should have a good retirement.

uk

"the UK.

Pension is the way out voluntary contributions.pensions largely delay tax. Sure, there's (currently) a tax free payment plus you may be on a lower tax band ... But there's still likely to be some tax. "

Surely better to pay no tax up to the threshold and then 19p tax when retired than 42p now. (assuming retirement before state pension age but still some tax free). It's unlikely that anyone reducing their salary from £50k to £43k via a salary sacrifice pension will end up in the higher tax bands...

Other option is reduced hours down to the £43k. Call it part time retirement. Nice to have to time back when still young and fit enough. Avoids working every hour until retirement then keeling over the next day..

By *ungblackbullMan  over a year ago

scotland

"the UK.

That's it, just be rude.

Bye"

Very true though...it's was really obvious what was meant. Perfectly clear too. Sounds like you are the type of person who makes a mistake and can't admit it...

» Add a new message to this topic