FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > Politics > General Strike

General Strike

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *asycouple1971 OP   Couple  over a year ago

BIRMINGHAM

Seems like the Govt isnt taking notice of all these strikes and will just allow them to continue.

Im sure we are getting affected one way or another by these endless strikes.

Is it time for us all to call for a General Strike?

Maybe then they will listen.

Who will strike if called?

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *aitonelMan  over a year ago

Liverpool/Wallasey

Can we go on strike in protest of all these strike threads being created?

By *UGGYBEAR2015Man  over a year ago

BRIDPORT

Nope.

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

There seem to have been some noises about a general strike. But I think Brits are too reluctant to strike to that degreee. We'll see, though, I guess...

By *astandFeistyCouple  over a year ago

Bournemouth

"Seems like the Govt isnt taking notice of all these strikes and will just allow them to continue.

Who will strike if called? "

Who are all the self employed people striking against?

By *ohnnyTwoNotesMan  over a year ago

golden fields

"Can we go on strike in protest of all these strike threads being created? "

100s of people are on a forum strike because of this post. You won't know how many, because they're not posting.

"Seems like the Govt isnt taking notice of all these strikes and will just allow them to continue.

Personally I haven't been impacted by strikes at all, aside from a late Christmas card, and I can't say that's ruined my life much.

As far as I'm concerned they can stay out on strike forever. It's just helping to show that a) their services aren't required that much and b) they are selfish dicks and a complete reorganisation of their service is needed.

Personally I haven't been impacted by strikes at all, aside from a late Christmas card, and I can't say that's ruined my life much.

As far as I'm concerned they can stay out on strike forever. It's just helping to show that a) their services aren't required that much and b) they are selfish dicks and a complete reorganisation of their service is needed."

There are times I wonder if you're a character from a cartoon in the Mail.

As far as I'm concerned they can stay out on strike forever. It's just helping to show that a) their services aren't required that much and b) they are selfish dicks and a complete reorganisation of their service is needed.

There are times I wonder if you're a character from a cartoon in the Mail."

You do seem to be an expert on what's in the Daily Mail. I suggest you stop reading it.

There are times I wonder if you're a character from a cartoon in the Mail.

You do seem to be an expert on what's in the Daily Mail. I suggest you stop reading it."

I use the Mail regularly. I find it's wonderfully soft & absorbant.

By *00STERMan  over a year ago

nearby

Nope, never.

By *exy_HornyCouple  over a year ago

Leigh

Why should us private sector workers strike in support of unreasonable demands from public sector workers, who are paid from our taxes anyway?

By *oolyCoolyCplCouple  over a year ago

Newcastle under Lyme

No need to as we get paid a fair amount. If we end up falling behind well just get new jobs that pay more.

"No need to as we get paid a fair amount. If we end up falling behind well just get new jobs that pay more."

What about people who don't get paid enough or can't get jobs that pay more?

(I hear there's a cost of living crisis, but I guess it could be some sort of woke lefty conspiracy or something like that.)

By *ools and the brainCouple  over a year ago

couple, us we him her.

Too many people who only think of themselves for a general strike.

I get bill's have to be payed we are all in the same boat.

However sometimes you have to look at the bigger picture.

The government are claiming poverty and unaffordable pay rises.

However if they didn't waste billions on projects like smart motorways and (I hate to keep banging on about it) HS2 a project that has cost Billions and rising for the benefit of who exactly?

A few hundred commuters!

And lining the pockets of friends with shares in the companies constructing them.

All the money wasted on smart motorways over the past ten years could have probably released a good 50 billion plus.

Year's ago it used to be a mile of motorway cost 1 million it probably far exceeds that now.

"Too many people who only think of themselves for a general strike.

However if they didn't waste billions on projects like smart motorways and (I hate to keep banging on about it) HS2 a project that has cost Billions and rising for the benefit of who exactly?

A few hundred commuters!

And lining the pockets of friends with shares in the companies constructing them.

All the money wasted on smart motorways over the past ten years could have probably released a good 50 billion plus.

Year's ago it used to be a mile of motorway cost 1 million it probably far exceeds that now."

If the Government wasted less money on unproductive public sector workers they'd have more money to spend on something useful, or even better stop thieving so much money off people who do work to give to those who don't.

"Too many people who only think of themselves for a general strike.

A few hundred commuters!

Year's ago it used to be a mile of motorway cost 1 million it probably far exceeds that now.

If the Government wasted less money on unproductive public sector workers they'd have more money to spend on something useful, or even better stop thieving so much money off people who do work to give to those who don't."

You mean the gov shouldn't be giving loads of our money to tax dodgers/ non doms/ rich mates? I agree with you there.

By *lex46TV/TS  over a year ago

Near Wells

In my next life, I'll get a job in the public sector. Generally 35hrs a week, Flexi time, time of if your pet rabbit dies (seriously), nice pension and most are generally well Paid. Paid more than most of the private sector. Plus if you don't like something, you can go on strike .

By *ingdong11Man  over a year ago

southampton

Why should us private sector workers strike in support of unreasonable demands from public sector workers, who are paid from our taxes anyway?"

It’s not unreasonable to expect your pay to go up equal to inflation every year . I’m not sure if you are aware , but public sector workers do actually pay tax . I do know a fair few self employed tradesman that manage to avoid a fair chunk of tax every year .

southampton

"In my next life, I'll get a job in the public sector. Generally 35hrs a week, Flexi time, time of if your pet rabbit dies (seriously), nice pension and most are generally well Paid. Paid more than most of the private sector. Plus if you don't like something, you can go on strike ."

Behave , I don’t work 35 hours a week , I don’t get flexi time , pension is crap and very expensive and my life will very likely be shortened by doing my job , if I don’t die while trying to save someone, I have a far chance of getting cancer , heart attacks and strokes than the general population . On top of that , I have had to see people burnt alive , limbs missing , run over , bleeding out , head split open , attended several suicides and because of all this came within a whisker of ending my own life . All for £32244 a year .

So yes , I deserve a bloody pay rise .

"In my next life, I'll get a job in the public sector. Generally 35hrs a week, Flexi time, time of if your pet rabbit dies (seriously), nice pension and most are generally well Paid. Paid more than most of the private sector. Plus if you don't like something, you can go on strike .

Behave , I don’t work 35 hours a week , I don’t get flexi time , pension is crap and very expensive and my life will very likely be shortened by doing my job , if I don’t die while trying to save someone, I have a far chance of getting cancer , heart attacks and strokes than the general population . On top of that , I have had to see people burnt alive , limbs missing , run over , bleeding out , head split open , attended several suicides and because of all this came within a whisker of ending my own life . All for £32244 a year .

So yes , I deserve a bloody pay rise ."

Oof. Sorry you have to go through all that for so little in return.

By *rFunBoyMan  over a year ago

Longridge

Well, you can thank the good Lord that Liz Truss isn't running for Prime Minister again.

Strange, however- she did say better jobs and bigger salaries so would've been perfect.

I suppose she did screw a lot of people's mortgages over by increasing them 4%-6%, while saving us from £6,600 energy bills.

By *oah VailMan  over a year ago

Dover

The laws in this country make it impossible to have a “general strike” in the way most people seem to imagine it. Secondary action has been illegal for nearly half a century.

You can only strike if you have a legitimate grievance with your own employer, and have attempted all avenues of resolution. Generally, you have to be part of a workforce with union representation and collective bargaining. There is a lengthy process, during which you have to serve notice to your employer that you are in dispute, and all the relevant employees must be balloted. It takes months.

The closest we will see to a general strike will be the various groups that are in dispute coordinating their stoppages; either running them simultaneously, or rolling them.

By *ools and the brainCouple  over a year ago

couple, us we him her.

"The laws in this country make it impossible to have a “general strike” in the way most people seem to imagine it. Secondary action has been illegal for nearly half a century.

You can only strike if you have a legitimate grievance with your own employer, and have attempted all avenues of resolution. Generally, you have to be part of a workforce with union representation and collective bargaining. There is a lengthy process, during which you have to serve notice to your employer that you are in dispute, and all the relevant employees must be balloted. It takes months.

The closest we will see to a general strike will be the various groups that are in dispute coordinating their stoppages; either running them simultaneously, or rolling them. "

You say the "law's of this country"

So what are the police going to do arrest everyone??

Second.

These law's are these the ones that the MPs flout and break?

"In my next life, I'll get a job in the public sector. Generally 35hrs a week, Flexi time, time of if your pet rabbit dies (seriously), nice pension and most are generally well Paid. Paid more than most of the private sector. Plus if you don't like something, you can go on strike .

So yes , I deserve a bloody pay rise ."

Definitely and I hope you get one

"In my next life, I'll get a job in the public sector. Generally 35hrs a week, Flexi time, time of if your pet rabbit dies (seriously), nice pension and most are generally well Paid. Paid more than most of the private sector. Plus if you don't like something, you can go on strike ."

What stopped you from getting a public sector job ?

By *ohnnyTwoNotesMan  over a year ago

golden fields

So your main point is. Workers should be treated well, industrial action has worked and public sector workers have won better working conditions over the years?

Sounds good.

By *wosmilersCouple  over a year ago

Heathrowish

You try working night shifts during the winter, out in minus temperatures, having irrational and sometime violent members of the public to deal with who have absolutely no concept of how much they are being protected from by your work.

But of course, the many years of training and experience aren't even considered.

The problem with many keyboard warriors is that in many cases they have no idea of what the work actually involves and rely upon the usual tropes of tea swilling bureaucrats, without backing of evidence.....(a mate told me that someone in another office had a day off for a dead rabbit....I ask you).

If you want a professional civil service, you have to pay and maintain a professional wage.

By *oah VailMan  over a year ago

Dover

"

You say the "law's of this country"

So what are the police going to do arrest everyone??

Second.

These law's are these the ones that the MPs flout and break?

"

No, the police won’t be arresting anyone. It’s a civil offence, not a criminal one.

The laws I’m referring to are the ones that protect people from dismissal if they take industrial action. If you don’t cross every t and dot every i, then withholding your labour would simply see you sacked for breach of contract. Failure to meet statutory criteria would also likely see the employer challenge the relevant Union in court; again, a civil case, not a criminal one, but potentially ruinously expensive.

I know that there is a really broad spectrum of experience and opinion amongst posters on here, and that I am simply another disembodied line of text on a forum, but I can assure you that I have significant personal experience with Trades Unions, employment laws as applicable to the workplace, industrial disputes, and day to day industrial relations in the workplace between a large company and a Trades Union.

southampton

Definitely and I hope you get one "

Thank you .

southampton

Oof. Sorry you have to go through all that for so little in return."

Thank you , I think most of the public appreciate us , it’s just keyboard warriors that believe everything they read in the daily Mail .

» Add a new message to this topic