FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > Politics > Clean air zone and congestion charge

Clean air zone and congestion charge

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *hropshireGent OP   Man  over a year ago

shropshire

What are peoples thoughts on this?

Does it actually work or archive anything?

One thing I’ve noticed when in these areas of cities is a lot of cars driving around with tape over number plates

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *ercuryMan  over a year ago

Grantham

If you buy a classic car that had been registered pre 1983, then you are exempt from clean air zone charges.

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

"If you buy a classic car that had been registered pre 1983, then you are exempt from clean air zone charges.

"

If you buy a vehicle that's ultra low emission, then you are exempt

By *iman2100Man  over a year ago

Glasgow

It works superbly!! Not by limiting the polution but for its primary purpose - raising money. No one fights Government taxes that target people "doing wrong" so, soon, the whole country will be a ULEZ.

By *ornucopiaMan  over a year ago

Bexley

You bet it achieves something. Massive income for TFL and other authorities that are jumping on the 'banned wagons'.

Quite how paying to do so stops the vehicles concerned from continuing to emit gases is a mystery to many of us.

By *igNick1381Man  over a year ago

BRIDGEND

"If you buy a classic car that had been registered pre 1983, then you are exempt from clean air zone charges.

"

Can we all just stop and cry a moment that 'classic' car's are from the 80s now

By *ercuryMan  over a year ago

Grantham

Can we all just stop and cry a moment that 'classic' car's are from the 80s now"

My diesel estate car conforms to the requirements of ULEZ, as does say a 1973 Vauxhall Victor.

Wonder which would be the least polluting.

By *oah VailMan  over a year ago

Dover

As someone who has been a regular pedestrian visitor to London over the past half century, it’s quite staggering how much better the air quality is now compared to how it used to be.

"

great didn't no that I'll take my MK2 E cort out more then cheers

great didn't no that I'll take my MK2 E cort out more then cheers"

Nice car, what is the MPG??

By *rincessvenusCouple  over a year ago

Hull

just another con to rip us off of some more money plant lots of trees and bshes and gardens to solve the problem

By *asyukMan  over a year ago

West London

It unambiguously improves air quality.

It also raises money to fix the crappy roads and cross-subsidise public transport.

I've not noticed any taped number plates in London and don't know how attempting to do this is dealt with.

Not a good time to extend ULEZ in a cost of living crisis though. Should be delayed but perhaps to try to resolve a financial crunch.

If the goverment want clean air its so easy.just look up nuclear subs they stay under without surfacing and changing the air for upto a month with 200 sailors re breathing the air because the air is past through a carbon scrubber.

This is old tech been going since the 60s with the moon landings.

You take the tried and tested carbon scrubbers and make a tower then suck out of the air the co2 .

You then sell on the co2 to.

Drinks companys and fire extinguisher companys and food companys who all use carbon dioxide.

You make a profir and clean the air at the same time.

As for the other air polutants.its a known fact that runing water like waterfalls or water cascades pulls in gas traps it and converts it into othe compounds when mixed with water.

Thankfully water features like water runing down metal walls seems to be more popular in cities these days

By *agan_PairCouple  over a year ago

portchester

This is nothing more than a tax on the poor, you can't take your old Ford 1.5 in without getting charged, but my nice shiny new 6litre V12 is perfectly acceptable and free to enter.

By *quirtyndirty!Couple  over a year ago

Nottingham

Air quality has never been as good in cities. This is restriction of movement and the thin end of a very large wedge. It needs to be fought against and not complied with.

I guess you have a choice.

Hand over your cash to the Government or buy a new car and hand over your cash to a big car company.

But sure, this is about protecting children's health.

Bexley

"I guess you have a choice.

Hand over your cash to the Government or buy a new car and hand over your cash to a big car company.

But sure, this is about protecting children's health."

...not forgetting the health of the new car trade

"What are peoples thoughts on this?

Does it actually work or archive anything?

One thing I’ve noticed when in these areas of cities is a lot of cars driving around with tape over number plates "

Has any1 else noticed lots of taped over number plates? I never have, but maybe I wasn't looking closely enough?

West London

"Air quality has never been as good in cities. This is restriction of movement and the thin end of a very large wedge. It needs to be fought against and not complied with."

Why do you think that air quality has never been so good?

What is this "wedge" for?

West London

"This is nothing more than a tax on the poor, you can't take your old Ford 1.5 in without getting charged, but my nice shiny new 6litre V12 is perfectly acceptable and free to enter."

What is a charge on emissions based on?

West London

"If the goverment want clean air its so easy.just look up nuclear subs they stay under without surfacing and changing the air for upto a month with 200 sailors re breathing the air because the air is past through a carbon scrubber.

This is old tech been going since the 60s with the moon landings.

You take the tried and tested carbon scrubbers and make a tower then suck out of the air the co2 .

You then sell on the co2 to.

Drinks companys and fire extinguisher companys and food companys who all use carbon dioxide.

You make a profir and clean the air at the same time.

As for the other air polutants.its a known fact that runing water like waterfalls or water cascades pulls in gas traps it and converts it into othe compounds when mixed with water.

Thankfully water features like water runing down metal walls seems to be more popular in cities these days"

I think that it's a bit more complicated than that when it involves millions of tonnes of pollution in an open system.

By *quirtyndirty!Couple  over a year ago

Nottingham

Air pollutant emissions in the UK have collapsed from over 11 million tonnes in 1970 to well under a million tonnes in 2022. This is fact not "what I think ". The wedge is to force everyone bar the very rich out of cars. Part of the agenda 2030. Of course this is designed to restrict the freedom of people to move. Not surprised you are in favour.

By *otMe66Man  over a year ago

Terra Firma

"Air pollutant emissions in the UK have collapsed from over 11 million tonnes in 1970 to well under a million tonnes in 2022. This is fact not "what I think ". The wedge is to force everyone bar the very rich out of cars. Part of the agenda 2030. Of course this is designed to restrict the freedom of people to move. Not surprised you are in favour."

What does this reduction in pollutant mean to me on the street, are the levels safe for me to be healthy amongst traffic?

West London

"Air pollutant emissions in the UK have collapsed from over 11 million tonnes in 1970 to well under a million tonnes in 2022. This is fact not "what I think ". The wedge is to force everyone bar the very rich out of cars. Part of the agenda 2030. Of course this is designed to restrict the freedom of people to move. Not surprised you are in favour."

What has happened to cause this sudden collapse over 52 years?

Is this all air pollutants? What about in cities?

Does London's pollution exceed recommended levels?

Why does this "Agenda 2030" want to restrict people's freedom to move?

Why would I be in favour of whatever it is that you believe I am in favour of?

By *rFunBoyMan  over a year ago

Longridge

"This is nothing more than a tax on the poor, you can't take your old Ford 1.5 in without getting charged, but my nice shiny new 6litre V12 is perfectly acceptable and free to enter."

Sold a Nissan Note I used as a runabout last year that did 38mpg and would be subject to charges.

I have a diesel 4x4 that regularly returns 42mpg and this would too get charged.

Yet, a brand new Nissan Xtrail hybrid that returns at best, 35mpg, is completely exempt from any charges.

West London

"This is nothing more than a tax on the poor, you can't take your old Ford 1.5 in without getting charged, but my nice shiny new 6litre V12 is perfectly acceptable and free to enter.

Sold a Nissan Note I used as a runabout last year that did 38mpg and would be subject to charges.

I have a diesel 4x4 that regularly returns 42mpg and this would too get charged.

Yet, a brand new Nissan Xtrail hybrid that returns at best, 35mpg, is completely exempt from any charges."

39.9 mpg for the 2022 Nissan Xtrail hybrid. There are better performing versions and brands too.

Non-plug in hybrids not, actually, a very good idea. However the question in this case is, what are the emissions per gallon?

I understand that anyone would be annoyed at having to replace their vehicles.

I did too, but mine is now significantly more fuel efficient (second hand). You're allowed to do that too.

As I said, I don't think that the timing is particularly good.

However, does London meet air safety standards?

By *astandFeistyCouple  over a year ago

Bournemouth

The following link has an interactive live map to show current levels of pollution.

It would appear London is no worse, and in fact better than quite a few other places.

https://www.iqair.com/air-quality-map/uk/england/london

By *exy_HornyCouple  over a year ago

Leigh

I objected to the Greater Manchester clean air zone not because of the charges but because the implementation was unfair.

It penalised occasionally used vehicles while letting the worst polluters move about without charge.

For example, someone who has done their best by having a small new car would get charged every time they took their motorhome off the drive, which added £20 to every weekend away. However, their neighbours who used a big old 4x4 as their daily driver and also used it to tow a caravan would not be charged at all.

The many drivers of old diesel cars around here also wouldn't be charged.

It should have applied to all vehicles to make a difference.

By *rFunBoyMan  over a year ago

Longridge

We kicked the Manchester Clean Air Zone down the road by voting many years ago.

Then it came back, covering a wider area without any vote. If public transport was more favourable than simply pricing people out of cars, then by default less vehicles would be driving around the city.

Trains = failure, buses = failure transport = nightmare if the loop is blocked due to breakdown.

Since moved to Preston where PrestonBus are driving around in worn out smoke billowing old N and P registered second hand buses. How they get away with it is beyond me.

Get their own house in order, the rest will follow.

By *exy_HornyCouple  over a year ago

Leigh

"We kicked the Manchester Clean Air Zone down the road by voting many years ago.

Then it came back, covering a wider area without any vote. If public transport was more favourable than simply pricing people out of cars, then by default less vehicles would be driving around the city.

Trains = failure, buses = failure transport = nightmare if the loop is blocked due to breakdown.

Since moved to Preston where PrestonBus are driving around in worn out smoke billowing old N and P registered second hand buses. How they get away with it is beyond me.

Get their own house in order, the rest will follow."

I agree. The college buses around here are awful. Finches run 30 year old double deckers which belch out black smoke as they sit in the gridlocked traffic.

West London

"The following link has an interactive live map to show current levels of pollution.

It would appear London is no worse, and in fact better than quite a few other places.

https://www.iqair.com/air-quality-map/uk/england/london"

Does it meet accepted safe levels?

West London

"I objected to the Greater Manchester clean air zone not because of the charges but because the implementation was unfair.

It penalised occasionally used vehicles while letting the worst polluters move about without charge.

For example, someone who has done their best by having a small new car would get charged every time they took their motorhome off the drive, which added £20 to every weekend away. However, their neighbours who used a big old 4x4 as their daily driver and also used it to tow a caravan would not be charged at all.

The many drivers of old diesel cars around here also wouldn't be charged.

It should have applied to all vehicles to make a difference."

Agreed if that is the case. Poor implementation. Sounds like some "interested parties" were involved in the framing of this, because it doesn't appear to make any sense.

West London

"We kicked the Manchester Clean Air Zone down the road by voting many years ago.

Get their own house in order, the rest will follow."

Yes, policy needs to be connected.

Bournemouth

"The following link has an interactive live map to show current levels of pollution.

Does it meet accepted safe levels?"

I have no idea what 'accepted safe levels' are. Was just providing a tool for people to view.

West London

I have no idea what 'accepted safe levels' are. Was just providing a tool for people to view."

You added the information that London is no worse, and better than other places. Which I don't doubt.

Why give that information but not if this performance is good? It's not an accusatory question, just interesting to know.

When I had a look on the same site, London was 6.5 times higher than safe levels defined by the UN.

Is it responsible for a city adminstration to do something about this, or not? That's the root question.

Execution is the next one, and there seem to have been a few examples of poor execution given.

Terra Firma

Polluting the air with car fumes is obviously compounded in a city by the numbers of cars on the roads at any given time. However, less built up urban areas, or even rural areas surely can't be ignored?

I visit family who live in a town with a population of approx 220K, not big numbers but when you see the school runs and the amount of cars littering the streets with their engines running, it makes me think these schemes could be used to target places that really need to be cleaned up for the health of the young in this example.

Bournemouth

I have no idea what 'accepted safe levels' are. Was just providing a tool for people to view.

You added the information that London is no worse, and better than other places. Which I don't doubt.

Why give that information but not if this performance is good? It's not an accusatory question, just interesting to know.

When I had a look on the same site, London was 6.5 times higher than safe levels defined by the UN.

Is it responsible for a city adminstration to do something about this, or not? That's the root question.

Execution is the next one, and there seem to have been a few examples of poor execution given."

I provided a tool and provided a little context.

Not exactly sure why you're trying to bait me into some sort of debate.

The UN says satisfactory is under 100. London currently is in the 90s. It was much lower at 8:45 this morning.

West London

Execution is the next one, and there seem to have been a few examples of poor execution given.

The UN says satisfactory is under 100. London currently is in the 90s. It was much lower at 8:45 this morning."

"Bait" you? That's pretty paranoid.

Fine. Conversation ended.

Bournemouth

The UN says satisfactory is under 100. London currently is in the 90s. It was much lower at 8:45 this morning.

"Bait" you? That's pretty paranoid.

Fine. Conversation ended."

Yes, bait me. I gave you answer which you didn't like. You then asked a question.

By asking that question, that's baiting.

And now you call me paranoid? What is it with you calling people paranoid? Anyone who questions your motives is paranoid? You're really not important enough for me to worry about being paranoid

By *ust RachelTV/TS  over a year ago

Eastbourne

There was a paper published by the government over 25 years ago, it was laying out the plans to spread the congestion zone to include everywhere inside the M25. Looks like it is not far from happening, only with a differrnt name.

By *ove2pleaseseukMan  over a year ago

Hastings

"Polluting the air with car fumes is obviously compounded in a city by the numbers of cars on the roads at any given time. However, less built up urban areas, or even rural areas surely can't be ignored?

I visit family who live in a town with a population of approx 220K, not big numbers but when you see the school runs and the amount of cars littering the streets with their engines running, it makes me think these schemes could be used to target places that really need to be cleaned up for the health of the young in this example.

"

Totally agree. Clean air in side the M25 will make it more expensive to live there at least there is better transport links in to London. But if you wanted to drive out would be more of a problem.

Don't know if the ULEZ comes up on a surch when purchasing a home.

If it did not when you perched should it comply to that person.

According to research air pollution is attributed to up to 36k deaths a year, almost 10k of those in London. Not all is related to road vehicles but it's a significant factor. It is estimated to cost the NHS around £1.6bn per year in worsening health conditions like asthma, lung cancer and dementia.

Clean air zones have been proven to reduce pollution significantly. They are expensive and obviously significantly effect the poor. But then most people prefer taxes to be based on the people who are responsible. Same as tax on fuel, cigarettes etc.

By *yth11Couple  over a year ago

newark

"Air pollutant emissions in the UK have collapsed from over 11 million tonnes in 1970 to well under a million tonnes in 2022. This is fact not "what I think ". The wedge is to force everyone bar the very rich out of cars. Part of the agenda 2030. Of course this is designed to restrict the freedom of people to move. Not surprised you are in favour.

Why would I be in favour of whatever it is that you believe I am in favour of?"

The decline of coal and industry has caused air quality to vastly improve to the point where some days the pollution comes from other countries such as Germany when they ramp their coal power stations and there is a easterly wind.

newark

Paris is meant to banning diesel cars from July 2024 so expect tighter rules here in a couple of years as UK likes to follow.

West London

"Air pollutant emissions in the UK have collapsed from over 11 million tonnes in 1970 to well under a million tonnes in 2022. This is fact not "what I think ". The wedge is to force everyone bar the very rich out of cars. Part of the agenda 2030. Of course this is designed to restrict the freedom of people to move. Not surprised you are in favour.

The decline of coal and industry has caused air quality to vastly improve to the point where some days the pollution comes from other countries such as Germany when they ramp their coal power stations and there is a easterly wind."

So you are talking about the overall reduction including industrial pollution which required laws to be put in place at significant cost to companies and households who had to change their fuel sources.

So, Germany should also tighten their regulations and spend lots of money on new power generation?

Is this all part of "Agenda 2030s" plan? To force us to breathe cleaner air against our will?

What is the air quality like in cities with lots of road traffic? Do they exceed accepted limits? Do we want that?

West London

"Paris is meant to banning diesel cars from July 2024 so expect tighter rules here in a couple of years as UK likes to follow."

What other regulations has the UK followed Paris about?

West London

"Polluting the air with car fumes is obviously compounded in a city by the numbers of cars on the roads at any given time. However, less built up urban areas, or even rural areas surely can't be ignored?

Totally agree. Clean air in side the M25 will make it more expensive to live there at least there is better transport links in to London. But if you wanted to drive out would be more of a problem.

"

The law applies to everyone.

Perhaps you could sir your surveyor if you didn't bother to check the ULEZ website before spending several hundred thousand pounds?

newark

The congestion charge will apply to zero emission fully electric cars from dec 2025 which will catch a few out.

Also I expect a tightening of ULEZ rules around 2025/26 as the focus will move to net zero.

By *agan_PairCouple  over a year ago

portchester

"This is nothing more than a tax on the poor, you can't take your old Ford 1.5 in without getting charged, but my nice shiny new 6litre V12 is perfectly acceptable and free to enter.

Yet, a brand new Nissan Xtrail hybrid that returns at best, 35mpg, is completely exempt from any charges.

39.9 mpg for the 2022 Nissan Xtrail hybrid. There are better performing versions and brands too.

Non-plug in hybrids not, actually, a very good idea. However the question in this case is, what are the emissions per gallon?

I did too, but mine is now significantly more fuel efficient (second hand). You're allowed to do that too.

However, does London meet air safety standards?"

All it is based on is the euro standards - for petrol cars it's euro4 my v12 way exceeds this, in London I'd expect to see about 10-12 mpg.

West London

However, does London meet air safety standards?

All it is based on is the euro standards - for petrol cars it's euro4 my v12 way exceeds this, in London I'd expect to see about 10-12 mpg. "

What point are you making relative to pollution levels in London?

By *ohnnyTwoNotesMan  over a year ago

golden fields

"The congestion charge will apply to zero emission fully electric cars from dec 2025 which will catch a few out.

Also I expect a tightening of ULEZ rules around 2025/26 as the focus will move to net zero."

I didn't know this. Just looked it up.

This is silly, in my opinion.

We have it starting this June in Glasgow. My gripe is, if politicians expect the public to invest in cleaner vehicles, then they should invest in better road experiences for the road user.

I don't mean, just better road surfaces rather than ones that resemble war zones. I mean smarter light systems, I mean is you sitting at a red traffic light at 3am in the morning, when there is no vehicle for miles, waiting for the lights to go through their preset program necessary. When modern technology can have smart traffic lights that sense traffic and let it flow.

In Glasgow City centre we have one way system and 24hr bus only routes which if you are not a taxi means taking a half mile detour to get to the next street.

Also see road that are closed for months for building work or something. Where the traffic lights coming from there still turn green causing other traffic to stop, when there's never going to be any cars coming from this direction. Prime example is a off ramp on the M8 motorway that has been closed for about 2 years, but the light for it still is causing unnecessary stops on the main road.

West London

"The congestion charge will apply to zero emission fully electric cars from dec 2025 which will catch a few out.

Also I expect a tightening of ULEZ rules around 2025/26 as the focus will move to net zero.

This is silly, in my opinion."

Which part? The congestion charge is intended to reduce private and commercial traffic as much as possible.

A large level of emissions are generated from brakes and tyres too, from a health perspectives. So fewer is better regardless.

With the law ending combustion engine sales anyway they have probably decided that it will be irrational for people buy them so no need to incentivise EV purchases. I'm not so sure about that as a decade is beyond the time horizon of most new car buyers and fleet managers.

It is possible that the acceptable Euro emissions standards will be tightened over time, but normal vehicle lifetime is ten years so will effect relatively few vehicles as the Euro 6 for diesel will already push most of those out of towns.

West London

"We have it starting this June in Glasgow. My gripe is, if politicians expect the public to invest in cleaner vehicles, then they should invest in better road experiences for the road user.

I don't mean, just better road surfaces rather than ones that resemble war zones. I mean smarter light systems, I mean is you sitting at a red traffic light at 3am in the morning, when there is no vehicle for miles, waiting for the lights to go through their preset program necessary. When modern technology can have smart traffic lights that sense traffic and let it flow.

In Glasgow City centre we have one way system and 24hr bus only routes which if you are not a taxi means taking a half mile detour to get to the next street.

Also see road that are closed for months for building work or something. Where the traffic lights coming from there still turn green causing other traffic to stop, when there's never going to be any cars coming from this direction. Prime example is a off ramp on the M8 motorway that has been closed for about 2 years, but the light for it still is causing unnecessary stops on the main road."

The money rsised is intended to be spent on public transport and congestion, but it is a little "chicken and egg". You don't get the money to spend until you start charging. There should be an immediate reduction in traffic as casual journeys are diverted. This might shift congestion to other areas though. It takes a while to work through.

Terra Firma

"We have it starting this June in Glasgow. My gripe is, if politicians expect the public to invest in cleaner vehicles, then they should invest in better road experiences for the road user.

Also see road that are closed for months for building work or something. Where the traffic lights coming from there still turn green causing other traffic to stop, when there's never going to be any cars coming from this direction. Prime example is a off ramp on the M8 motorway that has been closed for about 2 years, but the light for it still is causing unnecessary stops on the main road.

The money rsised is intended to be spent on public transport and congestion, but it is a little "chicken and egg". You don't get the money to spend until you start charging. There should be an immediate reduction in traffic as casual journeys are diverted. This might shift congestion to other areas though. It takes a while to work through."

I have often thought it would be a good idea to incentivise haulage and other commercial deliveries into working evenings into early hours, and leaving the roads before 06:00 am.

I know this would have a knock on effect to businesses waiting for deliveries, but if goods are arriving quicker and not stuck in rush hours and part of the pollution, it could reduce the cost, fuel and time to move goods.

Now this is only a thought in my head based on my musings, I’m not proposing I know the first thing about logistics, but I have a feeling I’m going to get schooled

Bournemouth

The money rsised is intended to be spent on public transport and congestion, but it is a little "chicken and egg". You don't get the money to spend until you start charging. There should be an immediate reduction in traffic as casual journeys are diverted. This might shift congestion to other areas though. It takes a while to work through.

I have often thought it would be a good idea to incentivise haulage and other commercial deliveries into working evenings into early hours, and leaving the roads before 06:00 am.

I know this would have a knock on effect to businesses waiting for deliveries, but if goods are arriving quicker and not stuck in rush hours and part of the pollution, it could reduce the cost, fuel and time to move goods.

Now this is only a thought in my head based on my musings, I’m not proposing I know the first thing about logistics, but I have a feeling I’m going to get schooled "

Jackal will be along to give you the full run down on these thoughts.

My thoughts are that most haulage firms actually run 24hr. It's just that the 'delivery' takes place during business hours. I might even be wrong on that as Im sure a lot of supermarkets have night time deliveries.

By *litlicker77Man  over a year ago

Dirty old town

It’s not got a thing to do with cleaning up any air the air now is cleaner than it’s ever been it’s money making scam for them by brain washing the stupid

[Removed by poster at 09/02/23 16:22:37]

golden fields

Which part? The congestion charge is intended to reduce private and commercial traffic as much as possible.

A large level of emissions are generated from brakes and tyres too, from a health perspectives. So fewer is better regardless.

With the law ending combustion engine sales anyway they have probably decided that it will be irrational for people buy them so no need to incentivise EV purchases. I'm not so sure about that as a decade is beyond the time horizon of most new car buyers and fleet managers.

It is possible that the acceptable Euro emissions standards will be tightened over time, but normal vehicle lifetime is ten years so will effect relatively few vehicles as the Euro 6 for diesel will already push most of those out of towns."

It's silly because in my opinion, it removes the incentives for ownership of a less polluting vehicle.

Bournemouth

It is possible that the acceptable Euro emissions standards will be tightened over time, but normal vehicle lifetime is ten years so will effect relatively few vehicles as the Euro 6 for diesel will already push most of those out of towns.

It's silly because in my opinion, it removes the incentives for ownership of a less polluting vehicle. "

The congestion charge isn't only about emissions though.

golden fields

It's silly because in my opinion, it removes the incentives for ownership of a less polluting vehicle.

The congestion charge isn't only about emissions though."

Of course. It's about congestion.

I just think it's silly that they're removing the exemption for less polluting vehicles.

Bournemouth

I just think it's silly that they're removing the exemption for less polluting vehicles. "

It's all honesty it doesn't really affect me so maybe I see it differently but EVs still cause congestion.

golden fields

I just think it's silly that they're removing the exemption for less polluting vehicles.

It's all honesty it doesn't really affect me so maybe I see it differently but EVs still cause congestion."

Pollution and CO2 emissions don't affect you?

By *enny PR9TV/TS  over a year ago

Southport

It's all honesty it doesn't really affect me so maybe I see it differently but EVs still cause congestion.

Pollution and CO2 emissions don't affect you? "

I can see them rasing the charge for polluting vehicles to being double that of electric vehicles.

By *9alMan  over a year ago

Bridgend

It's silly because in my opinion, it removes the incentives for ownership of a less polluting vehicle. "

A lot of cars last more than 10 years my newest car is 15 years old

Bournemouth

Pollution and CO2 emissions don't affect you? "

Congestion doesn't affect me.

West London

"It’s not got a thing to do with cleaning up any air the air now is cleaner than it’s ever been it’s money making scam for them by brain washing the stupid "

Cleaner than it's ever been, or cleaner than it's been since appalling levels of pollution?

Is that enough then? Should we not aim to get to safe levels of pollution?

Wanting to reduce illness from pollution is stupid?

West London

Petrol cars built after 2006 and diesel cars after 2015 are exempt from ULEZ.

Those are pretty old and relatively cheap compared to the higher repair rate that older cars demand.

I still don't believe that doing this in a cost of living crisis is correct, but it is not quite what the gloomsters and the doomsters are claiming.

The latest report (from TFL, but peer reviewed by Imperial College) indicates:

"NOx, particularly produced by diesel engines, are 23% lower across London as a whole and 26% lower within the zone.

PM2.5s, were calculated to be 19% lower than they would have been and 7% lower across the whole city."

https://amp.theguardian.com/uk-news/2023/feb/10/ulez-cut-toxic-nox-pollution-across-london-by-23-report-finds

By *aribbean King 1985Man  over a year ago

South West London

The way I see it Congestion Charge, LTNs and expansion of ULEZ (all Labour policies introduced by Ken Livingston and Sadiq Khan direspectively) are money making schemes to get more money from people. If they really want to get rid of pollution then they would ban cars, lorries motorbikes heck even smoking

West London

"The way I see it Congestion Charge, LTNs and expansion of ULEZ (all Labour policies introduced by Ken Livingston and Sadiq Khan direspectively) are money making schemes to get more money from people. If they really want to get rid of pollution then they would ban cars, lorries motorbikes heck even smoking "

Ban them all? Really? Your solution is all or nothing?

How is that sensible?

Hastings

The law applies to everyone.

Perhaps you could sir your surveyor if you didn't bother to check the ULEZ website before spending several hundred thousand pounds?"

Don't no if I would have looked if buying a home in KENT I'm in East Sussex on the coast guess it will include us next as we are only 50m from London if I'd did I would see it as just a tax

By *urreyfun38Couple  over a year ago

croydon

"The way I see it Congestion Charge, LTNs and expansion of ULEZ (all Labour policies introduced by Ken Livingston and Sadiq Khan direspectively) are money making schemes to get more money from people. If they really want to get rid of pollution then they would ban cars, lorries motorbikes heck even smoking

How is that sensible?"

From my perspective its very sensible. You want to cut pollution you remove the pollutant. In this case the ICE vehicles. And only allow non polluting vehicles in. Or at least at the tail pipe.

Might not be sensible but thats the ultimate answer to pollution.

And I drive a 2017 Astra into the zone most days that does not meet ULEZ.Don't really want to but thats what I was given a a company car.

But anyone can see its a way of raising money.

Hastings

"The way I see it Congestion Charge, LTNs and expansion of ULEZ (all Labour policies introduced by Ken Livingston and Sadiq Khan direspectively) are money making schemes to get more money from people. If they really want to get rid of pollution then they would ban cars, lorries motorbikes heck even smoking

How is that sensible?

From my perspective its very sensible. You want to cut pollution you remove the pollutant. In this case the ICE vehicles. And only allow non polluting vehicles in. Or at least at the tail pipe.

And I drive a 2017 Astra into the zone most days that does not meet ULEZ.Don't really want to but thats what I was given a a company car.

But anyone can see its a way of raising money."

So should company not dive out cars would that not be better and reduced the burning od all fule in ULEZ completely.

South West London

How is that sensible?"

It's sensible because you get of the very things causing pollution in the first place

Hastings

"The way I see it Congestion Charge, LTNs and expansion of ULEZ (all Labour policies introduced by Ken Livingston and Sadiq Khan direspectively) are money making schemes to get more money from people. If they really want to get rid of pollution then they would ban cars, lorries motorbikes heck even smoking "

So would you also ban back up diesel generators like the 4 large black stone and strarling ones under the bank of England and all others

South West London

So would you also ban back up diesel generators like the 4 large black stone and strarling ones under the bank of England and all others "

I'm not saying I back that but if the 'woke' brigade are saying things like pollution kills so many people a year then why wont the same woke people ban the things that cause polltution in the first place

Hastings

So would you also ban back up diesel generators like the 4 large black stone and strarling ones under the bank of England and all others I'm not saying I back that but if the 'woke' brigade are saying things like pollution kills so many people a year then why wont the same woke people ban the things that cause polltution in the first place "

Totally with that all pollution in a built up area is bad and most generator engines are massive.

croydon

So would you also ban back up diesel generators like the 4 large black stone and strarling ones under the bank of England and all others I'm not saying I back that but if the 'woke' brigade are saying things like pollution kills so many people a year then why wont the same woke people ban the things that cause polltution in the first place

Totally with that all pollution in a built up area is bad and most generator engines are massive. "

But most only run on rare occasions or the weekly test.

golden fields

So would you also ban back up diesel generators like the 4 large black stone and strarling ones under the bank of England and all others I'm not saying I back that but if the 'woke' brigade are saying things like pollution kills so many people a year then why wont the same woke people ban the things that cause polltution in the first place "

Leaving aside your weird confusion about scientists and "the woke brigade".

Isn't this what the various congestion charges do. Reduce the number of polluting engines, generators etc.

Green energy never take off here.No matter how much money the government wastes throwing at it.

West London

So would you also ban back up diesel generators like the 4 large black stone and strarling ones under the bank of England and all others I'm not saying I back that but if the 'woke' brigade are saying things like pollution kills so many people a year then why wont the same woke people ban the things that cause polltution in the first place Green energy never take off here.No matter how much money the government wastes throwing at it."

That is wrong beyond reason, and fact

Of course, data is of no interest to you because of the second amendment and guns, or something.

There is plenty of information available to tell you that renewable energy is cheaper to install and far cheaper to generate than those of fossil fuels.

Wind generated 20% of Texas' power and 12% of the US and growing, for some reason...

By *rDiscretionXXXMan  over a year ago

Gilfach

"Petrol cars built after 2006 and diesel cars after 2015 are exempt from ULEZ.

Those are pretty old and relatively cheap compared to the higher repair rate that older cars demand."

I don't know what car you drive, but my experience differs. My 2010 car has been tramping along at 25,000 miles a year for the past 5 years with nothing more than an annual service (£200). A ULEZ-compliant (2016) version of my car would cost me £7,000, whereas the 2010 version (the one that I've got) is going for £3,300.

As long as I don't have to go into the ULEZ very often, it seems to me that running the older car is significantly cheaper.

West London

How is that sensible?

But anyone can see its a way of raising money."

So your company is paying £12.50 every day.

Why are you upset about about the ULEZ if you think it's a better idea to ban all petrol and diesel vehicles immediately rather than slowly changing?

West London

The "woke" brigade "thinks" that pollution kills people?

Would you stand in a garage for an hour with an engine running?

Is there any advantage to a relatively slow transition to cleaner vehicles rather than a sudden one which you think is the "correct" way to introduce a change?

Hastings

So would you also ban back up diesel generators like the 4 large black stone and strarling ones under the bank of England and all others I'm not saying I back that but if the 'woke' brigade are saying things like pollution kills so many people a year then why wont the same woke people ban the things that cause polltution in the first place

Is there any advantage to a relatively slow transition to cleaner vehicles rather than a sudden one which you think is the "correct" way to introduce a change?"

Oh and what are these cleaner vehicles you talk about is it London busses. I thought they where Diesel ??

croydon

Is there any advantage to a relatively slow transition to cleaner vehicles rather than a sudden one which you think is the "correct" way to introduce a change?

Oh and what are these cleaner vehicles you talk about is it London busses. I thought they were Diesel ?? "

Most are but there are some Hydrogen and a few Electric. And of course the Boris hybrid busses.

By *rDiscretionXXXMan  over a year ago

Gilfach

"Oh and what are these cleaner vehicles you talk about is it London busses. I thought they where Diesel ?? "

They are. Diesel engines can be made to be very clean nowadays, to the point where the emissions are getting difficult to detect. That's why environmental activists have started focusing on 'tyre particulates', tiny bits of rubber that are shed when tyres roll across rough surfaces. It's much easier to measure those than anything coming out of a new diesel engine.

By *I TwoCouple  over a year ago

all around

So would you also ban back up diesel generators like the 4 large black stone and strarling ones under the bank of England and all others I'm not saying I back that but if the 'woke' brigade are saying things like pollution kills so many people a year then why wont the same woke people ban the things that cause polltution in the first place Green energy never take off here.No matter how much money the government wastes throwing at it."

It will take off once they realise they backed the wrong horse in fact they backed a donkey and a pony.

Tidal power is the horse

Money grab. Fuel is well refined and cars efficient. This is another money grab by the control freaks.

By *ity_BoyMan  over a year ago

London

Polluting the air around us to own the libs. Checkmate radical left wingers

Bexley

"Oh and what are these cleaner vehicles you talk about is it London busses. I thought they where Diesel ??

They are. Diesel engines can be made to be very clean nowadays, to the point where the emissions are getting difficult to detect. That's why environmental activists have started focusing on 'tyre particulates', tiny bits of rubber that are shed when tyres roll across rough surfaces. It's much easier to measure those than anything coming out of a new diesel engine."

Cue an initiative for cars with no tyres. hovercraft?

Hastings

I work I London but need tools and spairs I trial a ford transit last week and it did not even get me in to London 45miles and it was flat.was listed as can do 215 mile on a full charge.

So I will be getting another diesel EV is no where close to it yet.

And if ever job goes up in cost to cover the ULEZ charge I guess that's more inflation.

West London

"Oh and what are these cleaner vehicles you talk about is it London busses. I thought they where Diesel ??

They are. Diesel engines can be made to be very clean nowadays, to the point where the emissions are getting difficult to detect. That's why environmental activists have started focusing on 'tyre particulates', tiny bits of rubber that are shed when tyres roll across rough surfaces. It's much easier to measure those than anything coming out of a new diesel engine."

Not true that the emissions are "difficult to detect" at all.

However, brake and tyre particulates are, indeed, harmful.

Not sure why anybody wouldn't wish to not continue to reduce pollution levels.

West London

"I work I London but need tools and spairs I trial a ford transit last week and it did not even get me in to London 45miles and it was flat.was listed as can do 215 mile on a full charge.

And if ever job goes up in cost to cover the ULEZ charge I guess that's more inflation."

Never heard of a differential that large in battery range.

What did the dealer say? Not that they all seem that well trained.

great didn't no that I'll take my MK2 E cort out more then cheers

Nice car, what is the MPG?? "

about 35 40 depends if thrash it cheers

West London

Oh and what are these cleaner vehicles you talk about is it London busses. I thought they where Diesel ?? "

There are 3,854 hybrid buses, 785 battery electric buses, and 22 hydrogen fuel cell buses operating in London, as of March 2022, out of a total bus fleet of 8,795 - this is around 53% of the bus fleet.

The Diesel buses are Euro 6.

Hastings

Oh and what are these cleaner vehicles you talk about is it London busses. I thought they where Diesel ??

There are 3,854 hybrid buses, 785 battery electric buses, and 22 hydrogen fuel cell buses operating in London, as of March 2022, out of a total bus fleet of 8,795 - this is around 53% of the bus fleet.

The Diesel buses are Euro 6."

So how meny of the delivery lorrys in to London are hydrogen or do they just drive in an out out of hours to avoid the cost.

Hastings

"I work I London but need tools and spairs I trial a ford transit last week and it did not even get me in to London 45miles and it was flat.was listed as can do 215 mile on a full charge.

And if ever job goes up in cost to cover the ULEZ charge I guess that's more inflation.

Never heard of a differential that large in battery range.

What did the dealer say? Not that they all seem that well trained."

They comaind about having to recover it and Commented it was over waight and I was running the heater at full as it was cold.

Was only over waight as the battery waight decrease pay load witch is pointless

By *arkyp_321Man  over a year ago

East Kilbride

Yes, and that’s the point. People complaining about ‘revenue raiding’ when this is a valuable public health measure. Pretty much like raising taxes on smoking for public health benefits.

East Kilbride

That’s a new one on me ….polluting kids, families, the old and infirm to ‘own someone’ … I do wonder about folk !

By *illowendMan  over a year ago

Glasgow

People are dying due to pollution

croydon

So how meny of the delivery lorrys in to London are hydrogen or do they just drive in an out out of hours to avoid the cost."

Nope they can only deliver when the delivery spot wants then to.Some lorries on lacal deliveries are electric.Seen a couple of LPG and any cost is passed on to the customer.Hence why London is so expensive.

West London

So how meny of the delivery lorrys in to London are hydrogen or do they just drive in an out out of hours to avoid the cost."

New question as that one was answered then?

I do not know. If you do not either then it's a pointless question.

LEZ for HGVs runs 24 hrs.

They may also all meet the required emissions standard or will have to pay the £100 fee or a fine.

West London

So how meny of the delivery lorrys in to London are hydrogen or do they just drive in an out out of hours to avoid the cost.

Nope they can only deliver when the delivery spot wants then to.Some lorries on lacal deliveries are electric.Seen a couple of LPG and any cost is passed on to the customer.Hence why London is so expensive."

London has always been expensive, not only since the congestion charge was brought in. It may contribute, but it's tiny.

London is expensive because of property prices that feeds through to everything. Not the cost of delivery.

By *asycouple1971Couple  over a year ago

midlands

Bullshit tax for the motorist.

I pay £0 road tax as low emmissions but have to pay the Birmingham caz.

I take an extra 20mins driving around the caz to get to the same place causing more mileage etc.

If they really want clean air they would ban all traffic.

East Kilbride

"Bullshit tax for the motorist.

I pay £0 road tax as low emmissions but have to pay the Birmingham caz.

I take an extra 20mins driving around the caz to get to the same place causing more mileage etc.

If they really want clean air they would ban all traffic.

"

Dont promise me a good time !!!

» Add a new message to this topic