FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > Politics > Judicial Independence

Judicial Independence

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *asyuk OP   Man  over a year ago

West London

What is the benefit to the population of the judiciary being appointed by politicians rather than independently?

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *astandFeistyCouple  over a year ago

Bournemouth

There is no benefit.

Think this though:

Those independent people are appointed by who? There is always someone at the top and in most countries if not all, that is Govt.

By *irldnCouple  over a year ago

Brighton

"There is no benefit.

Think this though:

Those independent people are appointed by who? There is always someone at the top and in most countries if not all, that is Govt."

Supposedly true democracy is a tripod...

The Executive (in our case Cabinet Ministers)

The Legislature (in our case an elected HoC and unelected HoL who can rein in the overreach of the Executive by rejecting proposed legislation)

The Judiciary (independent and experts in applying Case Law in the UK to scrutinise the actions of the Executive and hold them to account)

Once the Executive is no longer being held to account by the other two bodies we then live in a dictatorship/oligarchy.

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

No benefit whatsoever, the judiciary should be independent.

West London

"There is no benefit.

Think this though:

Those independent people are appointed by who? There is always someone at the top and in most countries if not all, that is Govt."

Obviously how independent the body responsible is could be debated.

However, if the independent body was corruptible then why try to change the rules? As in Poland, Hungary, Turkey and now Israel.

They raised the idea here too, not so long ago.

By *akeyphoenixMan  over a year ago

wakefield

In my humble opinion, there’s no way that the established ‘tripod’ of power will change - they literally support each other.

The last time in this country that the system was ‘rocked’ was in the 1642 -1651 English Civil War. It just ain’t going to happen. I understand the concerns and question the efficacy of the system - but we have to accept - it’s not a perfect world we live in - In my opinion, it’s as good as it’s going to get. Any changes would probably be born out of massive political upheaval & I don’t recognise anyone currently across the spectrum of power that would or could affect any change.

West London

"In my humble opinion, there’s no way that the established ‘tripod’ of power will change - they literally support each other.

The last time in this country that the system was ‘rocked’ was in the 1642 -1651 English Civil War. It just ain’t going to happen. I understand the concerns and question the efficacy of the system - but we have to accept - it’s not a perfect world we live in - In my opinion, it’s as good as it’s going to get. Any changes would probably be born out of massive political upheaval & I don’t recognise anyone currently across the spectrum of power that would or could affect any change."

The self-supporting system in which the last Supreme Court ruled against the Prime Minister for unlawfully proroguing Parliament and where many courts rule against the Government?

By *akeyphoenixMan  over a year ago

wakefield

I totally agree - it just doesn’t make sense how this could happen - but as I said - it’s not a perfect world - each sector will support the other no matter how blatant it is - it’s happened and no-one did anything -

I mean - who can actually police it ? From my perspective a precedent has now been set and future heads of state will be able to get away with similar malpractice.

West London

"I totally agree - it just doesn’t make sense how this could happen - but as I said - it’s not a perfect world - each sector will support the other no matter how blatant it is - it’s happened and no-one did anything -

I mean - who can actually police it ? From my perspective a precedent has now been set and future heads of state will be able to get away with similar malpractice."

I think that you are missing my point.

The judiciary does remain independent of Government in many countries until the executive and parliament conspire to remove them. Once they are gone, the press is also unable to function and uncover corruption and wrong doing.

It's a repeated pattern, let the population seem vote for people who will do this. People who are transparent in their intent.

» Add a new message to this topic