FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > Politics > GBP falling again

GBP falling again

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *rHotNotts OP   Man  over a year ago

Dubai

I’m seeing great rates today for selling GBP compared to market closing yesterday , is your pm about to turn into sine old woman in white trainers again

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *oolyCoolyCplCouple  over a year ago

Newcastle under Lyme

The £ goes up and down all the time. Looking at the trend for the last few months it's recovering. Its worth $1.25 now compared to September last year when it went to $1.08. Still not as good as the $1.45 it was 5 years ago but recovery takes time.

By *orleymanMan  over a year ago

Leeds

The gbp is the best performing currency this year.

By *asyukMan  over a year ago

West London

"The gbp is the best performing currency this year.

"

That is an utterly meaningless comment.

West London

"I’m seeing great rates today for selling GBP compared to market closing yesterday , is your pm about to turn into sine old woman in white trainers again "

The currency floats.

The long term trend tells us if other countries want to buy what we're selling or not. Amongst other things.

Short term, meaningless.

By *idnight RamblerMan  over a year ago

Pershore

That is an utterly meaningless comment."

More context then : GBP is the best performing G10 currency in 2023, forecast to continue over the medium term. You'll miss the boat if you don't do some currency trading!!!

Dubai

More context then : GBP is the best performing G10 currency in 2023, forecast to continue over the medium term. You'll miss the boat if you don't do some currency trading!!!"

I’m more interested in very short term purchases/spending/holidays etc , and I’m seeing very good deals using direct remit , HSBC global wallet and Revolut , in the morning using opening spot rates.

longer term it’s a tough call deciding which currencies to hold money in

Dubai

"I’m seeing great rates today for selling GBP compared to market closing yesterday , is your pm about to turn into sine old woman in white trainers again

The currency floats.

The long term trend tells us if other countries want to buy what we're selling or not. Amongst other things.

Short term, meaningless."

Short term isn’t meaningless at all for trading or spending , those fluctuations create big opportunities.

Longer term just about every currency tells you they do not want what we have and it would be silly to hold GBP. Look over the last five years , combined with UK inflation it’s value is sharply decreasing.

Leeds

That is an utterly meaningless comment."

Why?

Leeds

"I’m seeing great rates today for selling GBP compared to market closing yesterday , is your pm about to turn into sine old woman in white trainers again

The currency floats.

Short term, meaningless."

Og so long term matter then

Define logn and short term for me

Leeds

The currency floats.

Short term, meaningless.

Short term isn’t meaningless at all for trading or spending , those fluctuations create big opportunities.

Longer term just about every currency tells you they do not want what we have and it would be silly to hold GBP. Look over the last five years , combined with UK inflation it’s value is sharply decreasing."

And yet. The pound holds...

By *deepdiveMan  over a year ago

France / Birmingham

The currency floats.

Short term, meaningless.

Longer term just about every currency tells you they do not want what we have and it would be silly to hold GBP. Look over the last five years , combined with UK inflation it’s value is sharply decreasing.

And yet. The pound holds..."

I am intrigued to understand why people think that the GBP is doing well.

All my income is in GBP but I live in France and therefore need to exchange it to Euros to be able to support myself.

At the moment, in my opinion, the GBP is weak against the Euro and I hate the thought of exchanging it for a paltry 1.13 Euros when, back in 2015, I was fortunate enough to have had an exchange rate of 1.40 Euros to the GBP (when the pound was considered to be strong).

If you look at the growth since Brexit when it dropped to about 1.10 then approximately 3 percentage points is a gain and perhaps that performance is greater than other currencies but, in my opinion, that is a poor benchmark!

By *ohnnyTwoNotesMan  over a year ago

golden fields

The currency floats.

Short term, meaningless.

And yet. The pound holds...

I am intrigued to understand why people think that the GBP is doing well.

All my income is in GBP but I live in France and therefore need to exchange it to Euros to be able to support myself.

At the moment, in my opinion, the GBP is weak against the Euro and I hate the thought of exchanging it for a paltry 1.13 Euros when, back in 2015, I was fortunate enough to have had an exchange rate of 1.40 Euros to the GBP (when the pound was considered to be strong).

If you look at the growth since Brexit when it dropped to about 1.10 then approximately 3 percentage points is a gain and perhaps that performance is greater than other currencies but, in my opinion, that is a poor benchmark!

"

If we could get back to pre-referendum rates, that would be great. Who knows how long that will take.

By *deepdiveMan  over a year ago

France / Birmingham

"If we could get back to pre-referendum rates, that would be great. Who knows how long that will take."

We are unlikely to do so for quite some time if at all but have to take advantage of what we have been dealt.

Looking at the sterling rates over the last year against the dollar and euro, the pound seems to be about the same.

There has been movement but nothing exciting.

Currency investors who deal in large volumes will make (or lose) money but a mere mortal such as myself doesn't have the volume of available cash to be able to make much difference to invest in the currency markets.

The difference to the typical tourist looking to save some money on their foreign currency over the last few months or indeed year, has been minimal.

West London

The currency floats.

Short term, meaningless.

Longer term just about every currency tells you they do not want what we have and it would be silly to hold GBP. Look over the last five years , combined with UK inflation it’s value is sharply decreasing."

What normal person trades in currency? What normal person has any control over when they have to take their holidays where currency fluctuations will have a bigger effect than school holidays?

Short term a normal person or small business is guessing.

In all honesty, so are traders and big companies. They just have a full time staff of analysts and processing that allows them to be slightly more right them wrong on small margins.

West London

Why?"

Define "best performing".

Is a high exchange rate good for exporters?

Is it good for tourists?

Is it good for Government borrowing?

Is it good for inward direct investment?

By *astandFeistyCouple  over a year ago

Bournemouth

" What normal person has any control over when they have to take their holidays where currency fluctuations will have a bigger effect than school holidays?

"

Easy, can you clarify?

Are you saying currency fluctuations would have a bigger impact than school holidays or school holidays have a bigger impact?

West London

The currency floats.

Short term, meaningless.

Define logn and short term for me"

What's the period that you need to distinguish a trend from a fluctuation?

Is the variation in a day useful to understand the functioning of the economy, as in the OP?

Leeds

""If we could get back to pre-referendum rates, that would be great. Who knows how long that will take."

We are unlikely to do so for quite some time if at all but have to take advantage of what we have been dealt.

Looking at the sterling rates over the last year against the dollar and euro, the pound seems to be about the same.

Currency investors who deal in large volumes will make (or lose) money but a mere mortal such as myself doesn't have the volume of available cash to be able to make much difference to invest in the currency markets.

The difference to the typical tourist looking to save some money on their foreign currency over the last few months or indeed year, has been minimal."

Believe it or not we are only about 15 p to the euro away from pre referendum rates.

The pound has done pretty well most the shorts have moved.

Against the dollar I where you need to stay strong.

Currency traders typically arbitrage so they never lose money. Only short term.

West London

" What normal person has any control over when they have to take their holidays where currency fluctuations will have a bigger effect than school holidays?

Easy, can you clarify?

Are you saying currency fluctuations would have a bigger impact than school holidays or school holidays have a bigger impact?"

School holidays have a bigger impact unless there is a really big shift in currency that nobody buying a holiday will have any control over it ability to predict or act on.

Leeds

Why?

Is it good for tourists?

Is it good for inward direct investment?"

It has grown the most vs a basket of currencies used to trade the most

So now you want the currency to drop vs euro etc?

We're you happy with the drip post referendum then? You should have been ecstatic. Tourism exports.

Leeds

The currency floats.

Short term, meaningless.

Define logn and short term for me

What's the period that you need to distinguish a trend from a fluctuation?

Is the variation in a day useful to understand the functioning of the economy, as in the OP?"

You brought up time frames. So define your short medium and long term periods. And we can assess.

West London

""If we could get back to pre-referendum rates, that would be great. Who knows how long that will take."

The difference to the typical tourist looking to save some money on their foreign currency over the last few months or indeed year, has been minimal.

Believe it or not we are only about 15 p to the euro away from pre referendum rates.

"

Short term was exactly what the discussion is about.

You sked to define the difference between short and long, so you must know if you're using the term yourself...

Bournemouth

Easy, can you clarify?

Are you saying currency fluctuations would have a bigger impact than school holidays or school holidays have a bigger impact?

School holidays have a bigger impact unless there is a really big shift in currency that nobody buying a holiday will have any control over it ability to predict or act on."

Fuck me sideways.

I'm off to have a lie down, because I find myself agreeing with you

Leeds

Easy, can you clarify?

School holidays have a bigger impact unless there is a really big shift in currency that nobody buying a holiday will have any control over it ability to predict or act on."

Typically oil markets and government decisions have an impact on rates. Holiday times are almost no impact.

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

"

Pound to euro average 2015 - 1.38

Pound to euro average 2023 - 1.132

Leeds

Pound to euro average 2015 - 1.38

Pound to euro average 2023 - 1.132 "

Yup the pound was overvalued then and the shorts came in around November time .

Pre referendum the pound traded at about 1.25

West London

Why?

Is it good for tourists?

We're you happy with the drip post referendum then? You should have been ecstatic. Tourism exports.

"

Why is GBP getting stronger "better" for the economy?

Plenty of people were arguing that the drop in GBP was a Brexit benefit because it makes exports cheaper and there was more inward direct investment. Was that true or not?

It's better for me, as a tourist and consumer to have a stronger currency.

I have no control over it.

Is it better for the economy or not?

West London

Easy, can you clarify?

School holidays have a bigger impact unless there is a really big shift in currency that nobody buying a holiday will have any control over it ability to predict or act on.

Typically oil markets and government decisions have an impact on rates. Holiday times are almost no impact."

School holiday dates have a bigger effect on how much your flight or hotel cost than currency fluctuations.

Leeds

Why?

Is it good for tourists?

Plenty of people were arguing that the drop in GBP was a Brexit benefit because it makes exports cheaper and there was more inward direct investment. Was that true or not?

Is it better for the economy or not?"

I have my thoughts it should be around 1.30 to euro ideally 1.50 to the dollar that's makes our good accessible decent exchange rate. Typically uk goods are considered above their comparators. British steel, British meat etc. Thats why they fetch more expensive prices. They are seen as a superior product.

I merely replied to the OP that then uk currency was the strongest performing currency over the last year.

Leeds

Can you please define what you consider long medium and short term periods then so we can converse?

Leeds

Easy, can you clarify?

Typically oil markets and government decisions have an impact on rates. Holiday times are almost no impact.

School holiday dates have a bigger effect on how much your flight or hotel cost than currency fluctuations."

How much the holiday costs is not an exchange rate

West London

"Can you please define what you consider long medium and short term periods then so we can converse?"

Nope. You define the parameters. It's much easier because otherwise you debate over the tiniest details forever.

West London

Easy, can you clarify?

School holiday dates have a bigger effect on how much your flight or hotel cost than currency fluctuations.

How much the holiday costs is not an exchange rate "

The cost of a foreign holiday is directly effected by the exchange rate. Pretty much everyone is able to understand that.

As I said, you will pointlessly debate over the tiniest details.

West London

Why?

Is it good for tourists?

I have my thoughts it should be around 1.30 to euro ideally 1.50 to the dollar that's makes our good accessible decent exchange rate. Typically uk goods are considered above their comparators. British steel, British meat etc. Thats why they fetch more expensive prices. They are seen as a superior product.

I merely replied to the OP that then uk currency was the strongest performing currency over the last year.

"

There's no right answer to what the exchange rate should be (which is why it floats).

You seem to believe that a lower exchange rate does not affect trade. Interesting.

The term "best performing" is meaningless then.

Good to have agreement.

Leeds

"Can you please define what you consider long medium and short term periods then so we can converse?

Nope. You define the parameters. It's much easier because otherwise you debate over the tiniest details forever."

OK so you say things but cant define them...Great.

Leeds

Easy, can you clarify?

The cost of a foreign holiday is directly effected by the exchange rate. Pretty much everyone is able to understand that.

As I said, you will pointlessly debate over the tiniest details."

No it's not. You pay for your holiday pounds.

Leeds

Why?

Is it good for tourists?

There's no right answer to what the exchange rate should be (which is why it floats).

You seem to believe that a lower exchange rate does not affect trade. Interesting.

The term "best performing" is meaningless then.

Good to have agreement."

I saidnit was the strongest performing currency. This was true. It has risen the most toward my favoured interest rates.

Pershore

Why?

Is it good for tourists?

Is it good for inward direct investment?"

This as a bit disingenuous. Best performing clearly refers to a currency's relative value against it's peers. What you go on to list are the consequences of it's exchange value. I think you are confusing two different measures.

West London

"Can you please define what you consider long medium and short term periods then so we can converse?

Nope. You define the parameters. It's much easier because otherwise you debate over the tiniest details forever.

OK so you say things but cant define them...Great. "

Child

West London

Easy, can you clarify?

No it's not. You pay for your holiday pounds. "

West London

Why?

Is it good for tourists?

This as a bit disingenuous. Best performing clearly refers to a currency's relative value against it's peers. What you go on to list are the consequences of it's exchange value. I think you are confusing two different measures."

No. It is a meaningless phrase if "best" creates as many problems as advantages, doesn't it?

Why is it "best"? For whom?

By *otMe66Man  over a year ago

Terra Firma

Easy, can you clarify?

No it's not. You pay for your holiday pounds. "

The sticking point here is the definition of a holiday.

To purchase a holiday means so many different things, if I pay for a flight and hotel is that a holiday or is it the end to end with all costs for meals and drinks? There is also all inclusive, where in theory no further purchases are needed and finally demand for holidays.

Simply put demand drives up cost, purchasing food, drinks, entertainment etc in a local currency will be subject to exchange rates.. Caveat unless you purchased foreign currency prior to travel.

Confused? Super, you will go around the houses all day on this one as there is no one answer

West London

Easy, can you clarify?

To purchase a holiday means so many different things, if I pay for a flight and hotel is that a holiday or is it the end to end with all costs for meals and drinks? There is also all inclusive, where in theory no further purchases are needed and finally demand for holidays.

Simply put demand drives up cost, purchasing food, drinks, entertainment etc in a local currency will be subject to exchange rates.. Caveat unless you purchased foreign currency prior to travel.

Confused? Super, you will go around the houses all day on this one as there is no one answer "

So what does the "best performing" currency mean?

By *otMe66Man  over a year ago

Terra Firma

Easy, can you clarify?

Confused? Super, you will go around the houses all day on this one as there is no one answer

So what does the "best performing" currency mean?"

Exactly the same thing, it depends on your position. If you’re buying £, selling £ or using your £ to purchase goods with weaker currencies. No one answer

By *oo hotCouple  over a year ago

North West

"

Eh?

Are you making one of your very assertive and wrong comments, or is there some obscure matrix that you are are quoting?

West London

Easy, can you clarify?

Exactly the same thing, it depends on your position. If you’re buying £, selling £ or using your £ to purchase goods with weaker currencies. No one answer "

That's exactly my point.

The comment from the start of the thread, is meaningless.

"The gbp is the best performing currency this year."

Dubai

"Can you please define what you consider long medium and short term periods then so we can converse?"

I would class long term as pensions / retirement money , medium term as savings you plan to use for things like property or kids education and short term is spending within the next year.

Pershore

Easy, can you clarify?

Exactly the same thing, it depends on your position. If you’re buying £, selling £ or using your £ to purchase goods with weaker currencies. No one answer

That's exactly my point.

"The gbp is the best performing currency this year.""

To be honest, I think anybody involved in finance or currency trading would understand the meaning of the phrase.

West London

Easy, can you clarify?

That's exactly my point.

To be honest, I think anybody involved in finance or currency trading would understand the meaning of the phrase."

How many people are involved in finance and currency trading on this site? Scroll up to the top of this post and read the context.

"Best performing currency" is a meaningless phrase for a description on how the exchange rate affects real life, isn't it? Misleading, in fact.

Pershore

Easy, can you clarify?

That's exactly my point.

To be honest, I think anybody involved in finance or currency trading would understand the meaning of the phrase.

How many people are involved in finance and currency trading on this site? Scroll up to the top of this post and read the context.

"Best performing currency" is a meaningless phrase for a description on how the exchange rate affects real life, isn't it? Misleading, in fact."

I have read the post, and in the thread explained the meaning of the phrase in the context of exchange rates. In that sense the phrase is clear and unambiguous.

West London

Easy, can you clarify?

That's exactly my point.

"Best performing currency" is a meaningless phrase for a description on how the exchange rate affects real life, isn't it? Misleading, in fact.

I have read the post, and in the thread explained the meaning of the phrase in the context of exchange rates. In that sense the phrase is clear and unambiguous. "

On the context of exchange rates for an exporter is it clear and unambiguous?

How about someone working for a company that relies on exports?

If someone tells them that GBP is the "best performing currency" is it unambiguously food for them?

What about a company that was going to receive an investment in a non-GBP denominated amount and any jobs that may rely on it.

The definition works for you based on your requirements.

It's meaningless if that is the case.

Even "strengthening" and "weakening" give an unhelpfully jingoistic message.

GBP is "best performing" if you are buying. It is performing badly if you are selling. That is the reality, isn't it?

By *eroy1000Man  over a year ago

milton keynes

"The £ goes up and down all the time. Looking at the trend for the last few months it's recovering. Its worth $1.25 now compared to September last year when it went to $1.08. Still not as good as the $1.45 it was 5 years ago but recovery takes time."

It seems to mean different things to different people. For some I guess a stronger currency is good and for others not so good. When the pound dropped after the referendum much was made of it so certainly seemed important at the time. More recently with the higher petrol prices last year, one of the problems said was as the pound was low to the dollar it makes things worse as oil is priced in dollars. Which ever way it goes there will be someone complaining

West London

"The £ goes up and down all the time. Looking at the trend for the last few months it's recovering. Its worth $1.25 now compared to September last year when it went to $1.08. Still not as good as the $1.45 it was 5 years ago but recovery takes time.

It seems to mean different things to different people. For some I guess a stronger currency is good and for others not so good. When the pound dropped after the referendum much was made of it so certainly seemed important at the time. More recently with the higher petrol prices last year, one of the problems said was as the pound was low to the dollar it makes things worse as oil is priced in dollars. Which ever way it goes there will be someone complaining"

A sudden, very steep fall or rise will indicate a shock.

So, there is a logic to that being newsworthy after Brexit.

However, a day to day variation of pennies doesn't mean so much.

Over a longer period then it may well indicate the functioning some aspect(s) of the economy.

I agree with your main point though, whichever direction the currency moves it has positive and negative consequences so "best performing" is not a useful description.

Leeds

"The £ goes up and down all the time. Looking at the trend for the last few months it's recovering. Its worth $1.25 now compared to September last year when it went to $1.08. Still not as good as the $1.45 it was 5 years ago but recovery takes time.

It seems to mean different things to different people. For some I guess a stronger currency is good and for others not so good. When the pound dropped after the referendum much was made of it so certainly seemed important at the time. More recently with the higher petrol prices last year, one of the problems said was as the pound was low to the dollar it makes things worse as oil is priced in dollars. Which ever way it goes there will be someone complaining"

Has when people define things.

Which easy wont do

Leeds

It seems to mean different things to different people. For some I guess a stronger currency is good and for others not so good. When the pound dropped after the referendum much was made of it so certainly seemed important at the time. More recently with the higher petrol prices last year, one of the problems said was as the pound was low to the dollar it makes things worse as oil is priced in dollars. Which ever way it goes there will be someone complaining

Over a longer period then it may well indicate the functioning some aspect(s) of the economy.

I agree with your main point though, whichever direction the currency moves it has positive and negative consequences so "best performing" is not a useful description."

Best performing in currency trading is one where you get more of another currency for yours

Thats simple trading knowledge. Which you cleary lack.

I agree with your main point though, whichever direction the currency moves it has positive and negative consequences so "best performing" is not a useful description.

Best performing in currency trading is one where you get more of another currency for yours

Thats simple trading knowledge. Which you cleary lack."

GBP fell in the last hour, then went up again, then fell again

West London

Which easy wont do"

I said let's use all of your definitions as it's easier as you always quibble about them. You decide what it means. You used "short-term" as well, so you must know. I will accept your definition, but you're still bleating like a child.

You define what the short, medium and long-term are for currency fluctuations and you can also define how the "best performing" (your phrase) currency performs well for everyone.

West London

This isn't a thread of currency traders is it? So, once again "best performing" does not have unequivocally positive outcomes for all aspects of the UK economy. Are you able to accept that, or not?

Your attempts at patronisation really do not bother me and just look petty.

West London

GBP fell in the last hour, then went up again, then fell again "

What's happened to the FTSE 100 in the last few hours? I understand that this is also a super important thing to report regularly as its daily movements are somehow meaningful of something unless they go in the opposite direction for the point you're trying to make...

Pershore

Yup it's as simple as that. Any trader would relate to your summary. God knows why some people are over-complicating the matter.

Pershore

What's happened to the FTSE 100 in the last few hours? I understand that this is also a super important thing to report regularly as its daily movements are somehow meaningful of something unless they go in the opposite direction for the point you're trying to make..."

A good measure of economic robustness is when GBP and FTSE are both rising i.e. when investors are buying stocks with strong GBP.

West London

Yup it's as simple as that. Any trader would relate to your summary. God knows why some people are over-complicating the matter. "

Because they arey currency traders.

Is a rising GBP good for exporters or someone selling a foreign asset?

Is the "best performing" currency unequivocally good for all aspects of the UK economy?

Under-complicate it with "basic knowledge" for someone who is not a currency trader, like the majority of people.

West London

What's happened to the FTSE 100 in the last few hours? I understand that this is also a super important thing to report regularly as its daily movements are somehow meaningful of something unless they go in the opposite direction for the point you're trying to make...

A good measure of economic robustness is when GBP and FTSE are both rising i.e. when investors are buying stocks with strong GBP."

So if the vary over a couple of hours or days is that a "good measure of economic robustness"?

Bournemouth

Yup it's as simple as that. Any trader would relate to your summary. God knows why some people are over-complicating the matter.

Is the "best performing" currency unequivocally good for all aspects of the UK economy?

Under-complicate it with "basic knowledge" for someone who is not a currency trader, like the majority of people."

You're kicking off about most people not being currency traders

I have news for you, most people aren't exporters or selling foreign assets either. This is just an argument for the sake of an argument. Disagree and give up.

West London

Under-complicate it with "basic knowledge" for someone who is not a currency trader, like the majority of people.

I have news for you, most people aren't exporters or selling foreign assets either. This is just an argument for the sake of

an argument. Disagree and give up."

I was responding to a single comment devoid of context: "The gbp is the best performing currency this year."

"For traders" was not included, although that is, apparently, obvious. Although if you had a short position and the currency you held was increasing in value against another it would be performing terribly for you.

Perhaps you can tell the class if a strong currency is unambiguously good for all parts of the economy or if GBP is actually "the best performing currency" over what time frame and against what currencies?

I will respond to your points on the topic.

I would be interested to know why you constantly feel the need to comment on and police my activities and with such dramatic and poorly applied language. "Kicking off"

Bournemouth

I have news for you, most people aren't exporters or selling foreign assets either. This is just an argument for the sake of

an argument. Disagree and give up.

I was responding to a single comment devoid of context: "The gbp is the best performing currency this year."

"For traders" was not included, although that is, apparently, obvious. Although if you had a short position and the currency you held was increasing in value against another it would be performing terribly for you.

Perhaps you can tell the class if a strong currency is unambiguously good for all parts of the economy or if GBP is actually "the best performing currency" over what time frame and against what currencies?

I would be interested to know why you constantly feel the need to comment on and police my activities and with such dramatic and poorly applied language. "Kicking off" "

You can continue to respond to my comments on topic all you like.. I didn't make any apart from you using 'the majority of people are not'

'Kicking off' is a very well known English phrase, perhaps you don't quite have the grasp of English thought you did, or was that you just trying to belittle me by picking on what I choose to write. That could be classed as bullying in some circles

Pershore

A good measure of economic robustness is when GBP and FTSE are both rising i.e. when investors are buying stocks with strong GBP.

So if the vary over a couple of hours or days is that a "good measure of economic robustness"?"

No of course not. As per my comment in above thread, GBP is the best performing currency of G10 this year. That's a reasonable period to draw some meaningful conclusions. Combined with the fact the FTSE hit an all-time high of 8,000, that's a pretty good economic result. What's the problem in acknowledging the facts?

West London

I would be interested to know why you constantly feel the need to comment on and police my activities and with such dramatic and poorly applied language. "Kicking off"

You can continue to respond to my comments on topic all you like.. I didn't make any apart from you using 'the majority of people are not'

'Kicking off' is a very well known English phrase, perhaps you don't quite have the grasp of English thought you did, or was that you just trying to belittle me by picking on what I choose to write. That could be classed as bullying in some circles "

Do stop trying to play the victim now, especially as you were unable to respond on topic or to explain why you feel the need to instruct me on what to write in the forum.

Bournemouth

'Kicking off' is a very well known English phrase, perhaps you don't quite have the grasp of English thought you did, or was that you just trying to belittle me by picking on what I choose to write. That could be classed as bullying in some circles

Do stop trying to play the victim now, especially as you were unable to respond on topic or to explain why you feel the need to instruct me on what to write in the forum."

Who's playing the victim 'mate'? (yes I use 'mate' so that you can pick on my use of words again)

I've already explained I responded on topic to your 'most people aren't'.

And now you complain about me not responding on topic, without responding on topic. You're looking a bit silly now. I know this will go round and round, so do as you please but I won't respond anymore.

By *irldnCouple  over a year ago

Brighton

So if the vary over a couple of hours or days is that a "good measure of economic robustness"?

No of course not. As per my comment in above thread, GBP is the best performing currency of G10 this year. That's a reasonable period to draw some meaningful conclusions. Combined with the fact the FTSE hit an all-time high of 8,000, that's a pretty good economic result. What's the problem in acknowledging the facts?"

Not getting into “best performing” discussion. As an economics layperson, all I can observe is that for the majority of people in the UK things do not feel like they are going well. A strong/good performing GBP and FTSE hitting 8000 doesn’t seem to be trickling down for many (if it takes time, then how long?)

Also, as gas and oil are trades in US$ then with a strong GB£ how long until the dramatically reduced wholesale prices (in addition to exchange rate) start to be reflected in consumer prices?

West London

No of course not. As per my comment in above thread, GBP is the best performing currency of G10 this year. That's a reasonable period to draw some meaningful conclusions. Combined with the fact the FTSE hit an all-time high of 8,000, that's a pretty good economic result. What's the problem in acknowledging the facts?"

So is the "best performance" unambiguously good for all parts of the UK economy? Why is a strengthening pound good news for an exporter or someone wishing to sell a foreign asset?

It was the second "worst" performing currency of 2022. That was dominated by economic shocks and was and is completely influenced by the relative performance of other countries' currencies.

Why is the FTSE 100 being so high especially good for the UK if most pension funds are minimally invested in the market and most of their assets and revenue earning is from outside the UK?

The "facts" are that the value of certain indexes have gone up or down. It is only "good news" if you have a direct benefit from them moving in a particular direction.

It is just information.

Leeds

Which easy wont do

I said let's use all of your definitions as it's easier as you always quibble about them. You decide what it means. You used "short-term" as well, so you must know. I will accept your definition, but you're still bleating like a child.

You define what the short, medium and long-term are for currency fluctuations and you can also define how the "best performing" (your phrase) currency performs well for everyone."

At least I have some so you can assess.

Leeds

No of course not. As per my comment in above thread, GBP is the best performing currency of G10 this year. That's a reasonable period to draw some meaningful conclusions. Combined with the fact the FTSE hit an all-time high of 8,000, that's a pretty good economic result. What's the problem in acknowledging the facts?

Not getting into “best performing” discussion. As an economics layperson, all I can observe is that for the majority of people in the UK things do not feel like they are going well. A strong/good performing GBP and FTSE hitting 8000 doesn’t seem to be trickling down for many (if it takes time, then how long?)

Also, as gas and oil are trades in US$ then with a strong GB£ how long until the dramatically reduced wholesale prices (in addition to exchange rate) start to be reflected in consumer prices? "

Im not bothered about stock markets too much perosnally. I believe they're all in a bubble and overvalued by about 30%

Leeds

So is the "best performance" unambiguously good for all parts of the UK economy? Why is a strengthening pound good news for an exporter or someone wishing to sell a foreign asset?

It was the second "worst" performing currency of 2022. That was dominated by economic shocks and was and is completely influenced by the relative performance of other countries' currencies.

Why is the FTSE 100 being so high especially good for the UK if most pension funds are minimally invested in the market and most of their assets and revenue earning is from outside the UK?

The "facts" are that the value of certain indexes have gone up or down. It is only "good news" if you have a direct benefit from them moving in a particular direction.

It is just information."

The uk has always been seen as having higher stnadards and quality in its goods we typically sell goods where the value and price paid is a premium.

So typically people will pay above market value therefore for me a strong currency whereby the pound rises against a dollar / euro/ Swiss franc has a lower effect than if the pound drops vs these.

It is just information.

The uk has always been seen as having higher stnadards and quality in its goods we typically sell goods where the value and price paid is a premium.

So typically people will pay above market value therefore for me a strong currency whereby the pound rises against a dollar / euro/ Swiss franc has a lower effect than if the pound drops vs these.

"

GBP just went down again

By *eroy1000Man  over a year ago

milton keynes

I agree with your main point though, whichever direction the currency moves it has positive and negative consequences so "best performing" is not a useful description."

I would agree a big movement indicates a shock of some kind. If the movement is from a shock or gradually moves over time in both cases there are winners and looters

West London

Which easy wont do

You define what the short, medium and long-term are for currency fluctuations and you can also define how the "best performing" (your phrase) currency performs well for everyone.

At least I have some so you can assess."

Brilliant. Share them then

West London

It is just information.

"

If the price goes up, they still become more expensive.

That can be to the point where it is worth investing locally.

Timescales.

If you which to sell a foreign investment, funds or declare profits, how does it work out?

It doesn't matter what you believe. It matters what happens for buyers, sellers and investors.

Leeds

Which easy wont do

Brilliant. Share them then "

Short is up to 2 years.

Medium 2-10

Long term over 10

West London

Which easy wont do

Brilliant. Share them then

Short is up to 2 years.

Medium 2-10

Long term over 10

"

Agreed. That wasn't so hard, was it?

Dubai

It is just information.

GBP just went down again "

I’m seeing this , I’m enjoying spending GBP right now.

I’ve also noticed what’s happening with gold and why that is. Lots of investors adding into the portfolio in much bigger proportions since mid March.

» Add a new message to this topic