FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > Politics > Truss Vindicated

Truss Vindicated

Jump to: Newest in thread

By (user no longer on site) OP    48 weeks ago

So Britain's borrowing costs are now the highest in the G7, for the first time since 2007.

Mortgage rates are rising again, with more interest rate rises on the cards.

It turns out that dumping Truss and installing a globalist PM and dull Chancellor to carry on with the high tax, high spend, and high borrowing and money printing has surprisingly made little difference.

Meanwhile at the Bank of England, whose job it is to keep inflation below 2%, Bailey scrambles around for others to blame for inflation remaining out of control. The Pandemic, Ukraine, Brexit. Anyone but himself.

Time to dump all these clowns and bring back Truss to stabilise the situation.

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *allySlinkyWoman 48 weeks ago

Leeds

If she came back and then left again in a month or two, would she get a second £115k a year for life ?

By *oo hotCouple 48 weeks ago

North West

"So Britain's borrowing costs are now the highest in the G7, for the first time since 2007.

It turns out that dumping Truss and installing a globalist PM and dull Chancellor to carry on with the high tax, high spend, and high borrowing and money printing has surprisingly made little difference.

Meanwhile at the Bank of England, whose job it is to keep inflation below 2%, Bailey scrambles around for others to blame for inflation remaining out of control. The Pandemic, Ukraine, Brexit. Anyone but himself.

Time to dump all these clowns and bring back Truss to stabilise the situation."

How has Truss been vindicated? She was completely unsuited to the job and her ideological “vision” has never worked, and never will.

I do agree with you about the BoE though. The cause of the inflation that we are experiencing has nothing to do with consumers and so raising interest rates will not stop it. Energy price rises last year took money out of the consumer side and ever-increasing interest rate rises since have taken even more money out - yet still inflation increases.

Increasing Interest rates to curb inflation only works when consumer demand is causing inflation, current rises illustrate idiotic stubbornness by the BoE and this is letting the Government off the hook as it is they who could bring energy costs down and it is they who could make changes in the job market and at our borders.

Lower energy costs, lack of friction at the borders and a more mobile workforce would bring down inflation much more effectively than idiotic interest rate rises which at the moment are just punishing people.

By *lfasoCouple 48 weeks ago

South East

We’re still waiting for the worst recession in living memory to materialise as predicted by Bailey six months ago. Truss looks good value compared with whatever we pay him.

By *irldnCouple 48 weeks ago

Brighton

"So Britain's borrowing costs are now the highest in the G7, for the first time since 2007.

How has Truss been vindicated? She was completely unsuited to the job and her ideological “vision” has never worked, and never will.

I do agree with you about the BoE though. The cause of the inflation that we are experiencing has nothing to do with consumers and so raising interest rates will not stop it. Energy price rises last year took money out of the consumer side and ever-increasing interest rate rises since have taken even more money out - yet still inflation increases.

Increasing Interest rates to curb inflation only works when consumer demand is causing inflation, current rises illustrate idiotic stubbornness by the BoE and this is letting the Government off the hook as it is they who could bring energy costs down and it is they who could make changes in the job market and at our borders.

Lower energy costs, lack of friction at the borders and a more mobile workforce would bring down inflation much more effectively than idiotic interest rate rises which at the moment are just punishing people."

I think you are giving Truss too much credit when you say “her ideological “vision” has never worked, and never will.”

The marionette had no vision of her own. She was a (rather poor) mouthpiece of her Tufton St paymasters.

Brighton

"We’re still waiting for the worst recession in living memory to materialise as predicted by Bailey six months ago. Truss looks good value compared with whatever we pay him. "

I agree with that. Bailey is an idiot.

By *astandFeistyCouple 48 weeks ago

Bournemouth

Truss will never be coming back. We see this 'she completely fucked us' quite often but actually she didn't get the chance to do that. She's gone and good riddance.

Bailey now needs to do one, the guy is an idiot.

By (user no longer on site) 48 weeks ago

Time to dump all these clowns and bring back Truss to stabilise the situation."

Comedy gold

South East

Comedy gold "

Strangely no-one else finds it amusing.

Quite why the IMF, Bailey and a couple of regular commentators on here delight in negative prophecies is a mystery to me. It’s the equivalent of Pte Fraser in Dad’s Army; we’re all doomed, doomed I tell ye. Now that, was comedy gold.

Brighton

Comedy gold

Quite why the IMF, Bailey and a couple of regular commentators on here delight in negative prophecies is a mystery to me. It’s the equivalent of Pte Fraser in Dad’s Army; we’re all doomed, doomed I tell ye. Now that, was comedy gold. "

Maybe Truss and Kwartang just didn’t believe hard enough?

Comedy gold

Quite why the IMF, Bailey and a couple of regular commentators on here delight in negative prophecies is a mystery to me. It’s the equivalent of Pte Fraser in Dad’s Army; we’re all doomed, doomed I tell ye. Now that, was comedy gold. "

If Labour gets into power their tune will change very rapidly. The policies will be exactly the same, but somehow the future will be so much brighter.

Brighton

Comedy gold

Quite why the IMF, Bailey and a couple of regular commentators on here delight in negative prophecies is a mystery to me. It’s the equivalent of Pte Fraser in Dad’s Army; we’re all doomed, doomed I tell ye. Now that, was comedy gold.

If Labour gets into power their tune will change very rapidly. The policies will be exactly the same, but somehow the future will be so much brighter."

Whoever gets in will be needing to clean up a shitshow. It is a bit of a poison chalice!

Comedy gold

If Labour gets into power their tune will change very rapidly. The policies will be exactly the same, but somehow the future will be so much brighter.

Whoever gets in will be needing to clean up a shitshow. It is a bit of a poison chalice!"

It will be interesting to see how Labour copes with an environment where there is literally no way of spending any more money. It's usually the position Labour leaves the Tories in.

It's difficult to see how Labour will come up with any policies at all if they aren't able to spend more.

Brighton

Comedy gold

Whoever gets in will be needing to clean up a shitshow. It is a bit of a poison chalice!

It will be interesting to see how Labour copes with an environment where there is literally no way of spending any more money. It's usually the position Labour leaves the Tories in.

It's difficult to see how Labour will come up with any policies at all if they aren't able to spend more."

A country with a sovereign currency is never in a position of “having no money” but it depends on their attitude towards debt through the raising of gilts/bonds and also on tax/trade policy.

Comedy gold

It's difficult to see how Labour will come up with any policies at all if they aren't able to spend more.

A country with a sovereign currency is never in a position of “having no money” but it depends on their attitude towards debt through the raising of gilts/bonds and also on tax/trade policy."

Raising of bonds: Britain has highest borrowing rates in the G7

Raising of taxes: already the highest taxes in seventy years

You think we just need even more borrowing and taxation?

South East

Comedy gold

Whoever gets in will be needing to clean up a shitshow. It is a bit of a poison chalice!"

I don’t consider our position to be a ‘shitshow’.

I think the U.K. is better than any country I know. That’s why I live here rather than in another country.

Our economy is far more resilient than ‘experts’ predicted, we don’t suffer from famine, war or pestilence, and it would seem that the rest of the world agrees with me as they are literally queuing up to come here, bypassing many other countries en route. Can’t be all bad

By *erlins5Man 48 weeks ago

South Fife

Just because they elected another cdud does not vindicate Truss.

Brighton

Comedy gold

I think the U.K. is better than any country I know. That’s why I live here rather than in another country.

Our economy is far more resilient than ‘experts’ predicted, we don’t suffer from famine, war or pestilence, and it would seem that the rest of the world agrees with me as they are literally queuing up to come here, bypassing many other countries en route. Can’t be all bad "

Agree the UK is better than many places (maybe even most places). I live here because it is my home. But I think things were better in the 90s/00s. It all feels a bit...angry these days.

By *allySlinkyWoman 48 weeks ago

Leeds

"we don’t suffer from famine, war or pestilence "

Covid19 is pestilence

Brighton

Comedy gold

A country with a sovereign currency is never in a position of “having no money” but it depends on their attitude towards debt through the raising of gilts/bonds and also on tax/trade policy.

Raising of bonds: Britain has highest borrowing rates in the G7

Raising of taxes: already the highest taxes in seventy years

You think we just need even more borrowing and taxation?"

Actually no. I think any Govt needs to address tax evasion and close loopholes that enable aggressive tax avoidance by corporations and individuals. Actually collecting the tax that should be collected will close a deficit.

Step 1 ensure companies pay tax on sales in the country the sale takes place rather than accept holding companies/HQ being in a tax haven charging an IP royalty to operational divisions so they are shown as loss making when the reality is plainly different!

By *orleymanMan 48 weeks ago

Leeds

Lower energy costs, lack of friction at the borders and a more mobile workforce would bring down inflation much more effectively than idiotic interest rate rises which at the moment are just punishing people."

Her vision was never implemented.

Brighton

Lower energy costs, lack of friction at the borders and a more mobile workforce would bring down inflation much more effectively than idiotic interest rate rises which at the moment are just punishing people.

Her vision was never implemented."

“Her” vision

Comedy gold

‘No one else’ can you explain why thick Lizzie is no longer the PM?

Her vision was never implemented."

Thankfully not , how long did she last as PM ?

South East

Comedy gold

‘No one else’ can you explain why thick Lizzie is no longer the PM? "

‘Thick Lizzie’ as you so eloquently put it has a degree from Oxford and was president of the Oxford Union during her flirtation with the Liberal Democrats. For someone who has previously set so much store by qualifications I am surprised that you called someone almost certainly more qualified than you ‘thick’.

The reason she is no longer PM is because she did not enjoy the same level of support from the parliamentary conservatives as she did from the membership. The Conservative mps ousted her, no one else did or could.

By *orleymanMan 48 weeks ago

Leeds

Comedy gold

‘Thick Lizzie’ as you so eloquently put it has a degree from Oxford and was president of the Oxford Union during her flirtation with the Liberal Democrats. For someone who has previously set so much store by qualifications I am surprised that you called someone almost certainly more qualified than you ‘thick’.

The reason she is no longer PM is because she did not enjoy the same level of support from the parliamentary conservatives as she did from the membership. The Conservative mps ousted her, no one else did or could."

insults is all they have. She was sadly.not backed by the rishi backers.

But he'll be gone after the disastrous election coming.

Comedy gold

The reason she is no longer PM is because she did not enjoy the same level of support from the parliamentary conservatives as she did from the membership. The Conservative mps ousted her, no one else did or could."

It’s always someone else’s fault , however My apologies, intelligent but crap PM Lizzie was dismissed as the PM for crashing the economy and being completely incompetent at the job

Comedy gold

The reason she is no longer PM is because she did not enjoy the same level of support from the parliamentary conservatives as she did from the membership. The Conservative mps ousted her, no one else did or could.

But he'll be gone after the disastrous election coming."

It’s always someone else’s fault. Liz Truss crashed the economy, she was warned but was both arrogant and incompetent, she will never be PM again, Sunak is 100 times better than she was

South East

Comedy gold

It’s always someone else’s fault. Liz Truss crashed the economy, she was warned but was both arrogant and incompetent, she will never be PM again, Sunak is 100 times better than she was "

There is no evidence to suggest that our economy has crashed. Indeed other threads here have been exploring the reasons why our economy is faring better than Germany.

As mentioned above Gilts are now higher than in the days after the mini budget.

I am still curious why the BoE chose to announce the reversal of QE policy on the eve of the mini budget. That was a complete surprise to the ‘markets’ whereas nothing in the mini budget surprised anyone.

By *rDiscretionXXXMan 48 weeks ago

Gilfach

"Liz Truss crashed the economy ..."

We still seem to have a functioning economy, and recent forecasts say that it's not the worst in the world. Are you sure that 'crashed' is the word you want to use?

"Liz Truss crashed the economy ...

We still seem to have a functioning economy, and recent forecasts say that it's not the worst in the world. Are you sure that 'crashed' is the word you want to use?"

Yes,

Comedy gold

It’s always someone else’s fault. Liz Truss crashed the economy, she was warned but was both arrogant and incompetent, she will never be PM again, Sunak is 100 times better than she was

There is no evidence to suggest that our economy has crashed. Indeed other threads here have been exploring the reasons why our economy is faring better than Germany.

I am still curious why the BoE chose to announce the reversal of QE policy on the eve of the mini budget. That was a complete surprise to the ‘markets’ whereas nothing in the mini budget surprised anyone. "

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2022/sep/30/liz-truss-uk-economic-crisis

We still seem to have a functioning economy, and recent forecasts say that it's not the worst in the world. Are you sure that 'crashed' is the word you want to use?"

Let me guess, you’re arguing and being pedantic about the meaning of the word ‘crashed’

Comedy gold

I am still curious why the BoE chose to announce the reversal of QE policy on the eve of the mini budget. That was a complete surprise to the ‘markets’ whereas nothing in the mini budget surprised anyone.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2022/sep/30/liz-truss-uk-economic-crisis"

I thought you didn't read the Guardian.

If this is where you get your "news" it's not surprising you are confused.

Comedy gold

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2022/sep/30/liz-truss-uk-economic-crisis

I thought you didn't read the Guardian.

If this is where you get your "news" it's not surprising you are confused."

https://www.politico.eu/article/britain-economy-liz-truss-mistakes-markets-tax-kwarteng/amp/

https://www.ft.com/content/736a695d-61f6-4e84-a567-fb92ed2a3dca

Plenty more if you need them

By *rDiscretionXXXMan 48 weeks ago

Gilfach

"Liz Truss crashed the economy ..."

"We still seem to have a functioning economy, and recent forecasts say that it's not the worst in the world. Are you sure that 'crashed' is the word you want to use?"

"Let me guess, you’re arguing and being pedantic about the meaning of the word ‘crashed’"

No, I'm trying to point out to you why no one listens to anything you say. If you use overly emotional phrases like "crashed the economy", your audience is going to look around them and think "I don't see any signs of that, maybe he's wrong".

I completely agree with you that the UK took a hit to its economy when Truss got elected, but it's better described as a minor slowing down of the economy, rather than a 'crash'.

Arguing with emotions works well at persuading people, until there's an obvious disconnect with reality, at which point you lose your audience.

We still seem to have a functioning economy, and recent forecasts say that it's not the worst in the world. Are you sure that 'crashed' is the word you want to use?

Let me guess, you’re arguing and being pedantic about the meaning of the word ‘crashed’

No, I'm trying to point out to you why no one listens to anything you say. If you use overly emotional phrases like "crashed the economy", your audience is going to look around them and think "I don't see any signs of that, maybe he's wrong".

I completely agree with you that the UK took a hit to its economy when Truss got elected, but it's better described as a minor slowing down of the economy, rather than a 'crash'.

Arguing with emotions works well at persuading people, until there's an obvious disconnect with reality, at which point you lose your audience."

You’re listening, reading and replying, no one is forcing you , you can ignore in future

By *AFKA HovisMan 48 weeks ago

Sindon Swingdon Swindon

I'm confused how this vindicates Liz Truss. Accepting that there may be political bias, the telegraph said

"Government borrowing costs have surged back to levels last seen under Liz Truss's ill-fated premiership after markets were spooked by stronger than expected core inflation in Britain."

Being as bad as truss hardly suggests she was right !

By *ohnnyTwoNotesMan 48 weeks ago

golden fields

"I'm confused how this vindicates Liz Truss. Accepting that there may be political bias, the telegraph said

"Government borrowing costs have surged back to levels last seen under Liz Truss's ill-fated premiership after markets were spooked by stronger than expected core inflation in Britain."

Being as bad as truss hardly suggests she was right !"

I think the OP is trolling Conservative voters by posting the most ridiculous nonsense they can think of.

"I'm confused how this vindicates Liz Truss. Accepting that there may be political bias, the telegraph said

Being as bad as truss hardly suggests she was right !

I think the OP is trolling Conservative voters by posting the most ridiculous nonsense they can think of."

Possibly, it’s hard to tell these days,

Brighton

Comedy gold

Degree’s from Oxford aren’t THAT rare

She was widely derided at Uni. A bit of a joke.

By *oo hotCouple 48 weeks ago

North West

Comedy gold

It's difficult to see how Labour will come up with any policies at all if they aren't able to spend more."

A way out of our mess is to tax progressively and tax imaginatively. Squeezing poor people leaves them with nothing, squeezing billionaires just means that billionaires remain billionaires but contribute more to the country. There are also non residency loopholes for property owners which can and should be closed. There is good reason why entire apartment buildings get sold off plan in China and Dubai and this can be a source of tax revenue.

Immigration “costs” can be reduced by investing again in higher education with fixed term work contracts in exchange for education funding - for NHS and all Civil Service employees. Short term cost - yes, but a long term plan that will turn the tide.

Local Governments need to have autonomy to raise revenue imaginatively too. Rental inspections and building code enforcement would raise revenue and keep communities looking tidy.

Raising the VAT threshold would increase productivity overnight.

There are loads of things that a government can do if they choose to look at the fundamentals of the issues that we face and not be blinded by ideology.

By *andy 1Couple 48 weeks ago

northeast

Comedy gold

Our economy is far more resilient than ‘experts’ predicted, we don’t suffer from famine, war or pestilence, and it would seem that the rest of the world agrees with me as they are literally queuing up to come here, bypassing many other countries en route. Can’t be all bad "

Comedy gold

Wow, a 9 thumber. Impressive

By *ohnnyTwoNotesMan 48 weeks ago

golden fields

Comedy gold

Our economy is far more resilient than ‘experts’ predicted, we don’t suffer from famine, war or pestilence, and it would seem that the rest of the world agrees with me as they are literally queuing up to come here, bypassing many other countries en route. Can’t be all bad

Wow, a 9 thumber. Impressive "

Sounds kinky.

You can argue all you like about figures and forecasts. But from what seeing at Microeconomic level, the economy is crashing.

See more and more businesses closing on the high Street. Especially the pubs and restaurants.

» Add a new message to this topic