FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > Politics > Dog Attacks

Dog Attacks

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *idnight Rambler OP   Man 47 weeks ago

Pershore

Elderly lady killed by dog attack. Seems to be a spate of such attacks in the news recently. Politicians and vets seem reluctant to condemn dangerous breeds, which are being used as surrogate weapons to intimidate. The excuse is usually "it's the owner not the dog". But people aren't being ripped apart by Poodles and Labradors are they?

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *otMe66Man 47 weeks ago

Terra Firma

Dog licenses could be an answer. The bigger or more dangerous dogs could demand a higher license fee and make it yearly. Make displaying the license on a collar mandatory, and money raised by the license can be used to fund enforcement.

By *astandFeistyCouple 47 weeks ago

Bournemouth

It really is the owner. I grew up with 'bad dogs' but they were as soft as shit because they were raised properly.

By (user no longer on site) 47 weeks ago

I was attacked by a dog who's owner let it out by accident , it was no joke,owner in complete denial, my fault ,l should have been aware, eventually got an apology, l could have taken it further but they put rigorous security in place so l let it go. Dogs are not all dangerous yet l wouldn't want any more serious attacks on anyone ,any attacks at all really. End of the day dogs have to be kept under control. But some owners just won't be told how to control their dogs ,letting them free in public spaces, not on a lead .

By *ired_upMan 47 weeks ago

ashton

"Elderly lady killed by dog attack. Seems to be a spate of such attacks in the news recently. Politicians and vets seem reluctant to condemn dangerous breeds, which are being used as surrogate weapons to intimidate. The excuse is usually "it's the owner not the dog". But people aren't being ripped apart by Poodles and Labradors are they? "

Google woman killed by Labrador.

Pershore

"Elderly lady killed by dog attack. Seems to be a spate of such attacks in the news recently. Politicians and vets seem reluctant to condemn dangerous breeds, which are being used as surrogate weapons to intimidate. The excuse is usually "it's the owner not the dog". But people aren't being ripped apart by Poodles and Labradors are they?

Google woman killed by Labrador. "

Yes I know, and a bad attack by Border Collie recently too. Surprised at both, but let's be honest we are talking Pitbull 'types' here aren't we? This is my point really, blatantly dangerous dogs get defended and nothing happens. Then expect more kids to be killed and disfigured.

By *addad99Man 47 weeks ago

Rotherham

Im not a dog owner very controversial I don't believe certain animals should be aloud as so called pets they should only be here if for a purpose ie police rescue all other certain breeds should be eradicated no need for them they were breed for a purpose that no longer exists.

By *irldnCouple 47 weeks ago

Brighton

"Dog licenses could be an answer. The bigger or more dangerous dogs could demand a higher license fee and make it yearly. Make displaying the license on a collar mandatory, and money raised by the license can be used to fund enforcement.

"

Agree, bring back dog licences! Which Govt abolished them again? Silly numpties!

By *ootiebabeandballsCouple 47 weeks ago

ballymoney

Owners all the way, I have 4 bullies and they are the most kind dogs I have ever had, due to the job my wife and I do we come in contact with various types of dogs on a weekly bases and any breed wrongly raised or treated can have a snap in them, however stronger licensing laws to ensure experienced handlers own certain dogs is maybe a way to help going forward but silly calls for certain breeds to be banned is just ludicrous in my opinion

By *oolyCoolyCplCouple 47 weeks ago

Newcastle under Lyme

It's most often some form of pitbull. Yes, how the dog is brought up and treated by the owner is a factor but some breeds of animal have certain instincts that are more ingrained than others. Pitbulls bite and tear, its what they do.

Pershore

"Owners all the way, I have 4 bullies and they are the most kind dogs I have ever had, due to the job my wife and I do we come in contact with various types of dogs on a weekly bases and any breed wrongly raised or treated can have a snap in them, however stronger licensing laws to ensure experienced handlers own certain dogs is maybe a way to help going forward but silly calls for certain breeds to be banned is just ludicrous in my opinion "

This seems a bit counter-intuitive. Aren't dogs bred for fighting/guarding likely to be more aggressive by nature? And if these dogs aren't intended to intimidate, why aren't thugs walking around with Pekingese?

By *azylivingMan 47 weeks ago

swansea / Bristol

I own a cane corso, he’s a good dog, loves and protects our family, he’s both good on and off the lead, walks to heal when off, loves kids of all ages & we have never had an issue with his behaviour

Now you come onto our property uninvited & not introduced to our dog or are aggressive towards any member of the family it’s a different story.

Pershore

"I own a cane corso, he’s a good dog, loves and protects our family, he’s both good on and off the lead, walks to heal when off, loves kids of all ages & we have never had an issue with his behaviour

Now you come onto our property uninvited & not introduced to our dog or are aggressive towards any member of the family it’s a different story. "

So what if some hapless kids comes into your garden to fetch his/her ball?

swansea / Bristol

[Removed by poster at 03/06/23 17:59:43]

swansea / Bristol

"I own a cane corso, he’s a good dog, loves and protects our family, he’s both good on and off the lead, walks to heal when off, loves kids of all ages & we have never had an issue with his behaviour

Now you come onto our property uninvited & not introduced to our dog or are aggressive towards any member of the family it’s a different story.

So what if some hapless kids comes into your garden to fetch his/her ball? "

They should read the warning signs & not climb a 6ft fence to get the ball.

Try knocking the door and asking for the ball back like a normal person

Pershore

Try knocking the door and asking for the ball back like a normal person "

Indeed, if only 5-year-olds had such wisdom eh?

By *enny PR9TV/TS 47 weeks ago

Southport

Indeed, if only 5-year-olds had such wisdom eh?"

My dog loves 5-year-olds but can't manage a full one in one sitting.

By *ootiebabeandballsCouple 47 weeks ago

ballymoney

Intended to intimidate so if a dog looks scary then it must be and you better cross the road because all bully breeds want to eat you lol and you’re surprised by a border collie attack?? Why?? You obviously have never worked with them give me a bully any day thanks

By *oo hotCouple 47 weeks ago

North West

Now you come onto our property uninvited & not introduced to our dog or are aggressive towards any member of the family it’s a different story. "

You are just an American with a dog instead of a gun lol

Indeed, if only 5-year-olds had such wisdom eh?

My dog loves 5-year-olds but can't manage a full one in one sitting."

Dont think its a subject for humour, too much at stake ,civil liberties ,safety, etc .

swansea / Bristol

Indeed, if only 5-year-olds had such wisdom eh?"

Love to see a 5yo climb a 6ft fence.

swansea / Bristol

You are just an American with a dog instead of a gun lol"

I own a small holding so I have guns too

By *ohnnyTwoNotesMan 47 weeks ago

golden fields

" Pitbulls bite and tear, its what they do."

Not if their owners look after them properly. They can be wonderful companions.

By *ottom charlieMan 47 weeks ago

washington

"Elderly lady killed by dog attack. Seems to be a spate of such attacks in the news recently. Politicians and vets seem reluctant to condemn dangerous breeds, which are being used as surrogate weapons to intimidate. The excuse is usually "it's the owner not the dog". But people aren't being ripped apart by Poodles and Labradors are they? "
a poodle was a french hunting dog a few hundred years ago,, all dogs when in a pack can attack injure and kill they should only be allowed out wearing a muzzle,,,

By *ornucopiaMan 47 weeks ago

Bexley

"Dog licenses could be an answer. The bigger or more dangerous dogs could demand a higher license fee and make it yearly. Make displaying the license on a collar mandatory, and money raised by the license can be used to fund enforcement.

Agree, bring back dog licences! Which Govt abolished them again? Silly numpties!"

Licences are for the law abiding nd therefore largely rather pointless.

Newcastle under Lyme

You notice how sheep dogs tend to be the same breeds, and the same goes for police/military dogs, oh and lets not forget hounds for hunting. They all have traits and instincts that make them best suited for those roles.

Pitbulls no matter how nice they seem will always have the risk of turning nasty on a person or animal. We have a friend who kept a rescued pitbull. He swore the dog was gentle as can be and wouldn't harm a fly. Suffice it to say when he and his partner had a child on the way that attitude changed quickly.

Newcastle under Lyme

" Pitbulls bite and tear, its what they do.

Not if their owners look after them properly. They can be wonderful companions. "

Same goes for pet alligators but you wouldn't leave one of those unattended around a child now would you?

By *ohnnyTwoNotesMan 47 weeks ago

golden fields

Same goes for pet alligators but you wouldn't leave one of those unattended around a child now would you?"

I don't think that's a good comparison.

You can't prevent people owning dogs that others deem 'dangerous' it's some owners that are not responsible when the dog comes into contact with strangers, l can't walk my dog where l live as some owners walk their dogs off the lead and cause havoc ,they insist their dog is safe ,even as it leaps at other dogs and people aggressively uncontrolled .Yet tell an owner to put a lead on the dog and you are met with platitudes and abuse and sometimes threats of violence.

Please lock it away if you ever call an ambulance

Bess x

By *oubleswing2019Man 46 weeks ago

Colchester

"Im not a dog owner very controversial I don't believe certain animals should be aloud as so called pets they should only be here if for a purpose ie police rescue all other certain breeds should be eradicated no need for them they were breed for a purpose that no longer exists."

I'm with you up to a point.

Working breeds (military/police/search and rescue/Customs/Blind & Other Medical Assistance (including Comfort Animals for those with diagnosed needs)...100%. These dogs serve a purpose.

A cute puppy for 8 year old Emily though ? No. It might make Emily happy, but ethically I'm not convinced that's good enough of a reason to incarcerate an animal. Perhaps an Aibo or whatever the next gen of AI-robot dogs is might be more appropriate. It'd be way more cleverer, obedient and useful, and eminently bondable.

I'd stop at "eradicating" however. That's a bit strong. Reduce the supply, educate the public, offer alternatives ("Robo-Dog"), and demand will do the job for you.

To be fair, once AI-Robo Dogs take off (Hmmm...drone version !), the working breeds will die out anyway. Andreas Mershin from MIT was working on a scent detection system that was 200 times more powerful than a dog's nose back in 2021. I should image with the great leaps in AI since then, it's come on in leaps and bounds, as AI is great at extrapolating and analysing data rapidly.

By *idnight Rambler OP   Man 46 weeks ago

Pershore

Not if their owners look after them properly. They can be wonderful companions. "

A similar case is made by people who think they have a special rapport with big cats and crocodiles. It all goes well until one day the animal is spooked or hurt, then they get torn apart. These are animals!! Same for Pitbulls.

By *illowendMan 46 weeks ago

Southwold

Do you really think people with illegal dogs will get a license!!!!!

"

By *AFKA HovisMan 46 weeks ago

Sindon Swingdon Swindon

Clearly the answer is for everyone to stock up on more and more dangerous dogs.

No way you are removing my right to own dogs, as per the second hound-mendment.

(More considered post will follow when coffee kicks in. Probably involves dog licensing, breeding licenses and spading by default)

By *ohnnyTwoNotesMan 46 weeks ago

golden fields

A similar case is made by people who think they have a special rapport with big cats and crocodiles. It all goes well until one day the animal is spooked or hurt, then they get torn apart. These are animals!! Same for Pitbulls."

It's not, pitbulls when kept properly don't ever attack.

Big cats are entirely different species with different instincts and needs.

Comparing them to big cats is as silly as the comparison to alligators.

Pershore

A similar case is made by people who think they have a special rapport with big cats and crocodiles. It all goes well until one day the animal is spooked or hurt, then they get torn apart. These are animals!! Same for Pitbulls.

Comparing them to big cats is as silly as the comparison to alligators."

What they all have in common is that they are animals. It's naive to imagine animals always behave in a predictable and non-aggressive way. Maybe Pitbulls can be trained not to attack, but I doubt such training is the priority of Pitbull owners.

By *astandFeistyCouple 46 weeks ago

Bournemouth

What they all have in common is that they are animals. It's naive to imagine animals always behave in a predictable and non-aggressive way. Maybe Pitbulls can be trained not to attack, but I doubt such training is the priority of Pitbull owners."

Dogs are all animals as are humans.

Dogs are no more aggressive by nature than we are. Maybe we should have children licences along with the dog ones.

By *esmond and Molly JonesCouple 46 weeks ago

Watford

"

Unfortunately, the criminals who use these huge dogs to intimidate won't bother getting a licence; And in any case, some of these dogs are banned breeds and the owners get them because of their aggressiveness & ferocity.

Licencing will only be observed by the decent owners of normal dogs so really, no, a licence isn't going to stop this.

Not having a driving licence doesn't stop the feral youth of today stealing cars and crashing them all over the place.

By (user no longer on site) 46 weeks ago

"Clearly the answer is for everyone to stock up on more and more dangerous dogs.

(More considered post will follow when coffee kicks in. Probably involves dog licensing, breeding licenses and spading by default) "

The people should fight then to allow conceal carry Chihuahuas.

By *rDiscretionXXXMan 46 weeks ago

Gilfach

"Licencing will only be observed by the decent owners of normal dogs so really, no, a licence isn't going to stop this."

Licensing won't stop people from owning these dogs, but it will give the police the power to seize any such dog that isn't licensed.

It's quite hard to conceal ownership of a dog, since you have to take it out for a walk every day. It wouldn't be long before all unlicenced dogs were taken off the streets.

By *otMe66Man 46 weeks ago

Terra Firma

Unfortunately, the criminals who use these huge dogs to intimidate won't bother getting a licence; And in any case, some of these dogs are banned breeds and the owners get them because of their aggressiveness & ferocity.

Licencing will only be observed by the decent owners of normal dogs so really, no, a licence isn't going to stop this.

Not having a driving licence doesn't stop the feral youth of today stealing cars and crashing them all over the place."

You are correct it won't stop certain types owning dangerous dogs, but the revenue raised from a license could help fund the enforcement and removal of dangerous dogs from the streets, allowing owners of dogs to enjoy their walks and time outside with their dogs.

There is no perfect answer, however doing nothing simply allows the problem to escalate.

"Clearly the answer is for everyone to stock up on more and more dangerous dogs.

(More considered post will follow when coffee kicks in. Probably involves dog licensing, breeding licenses and spading by default) The people should fight then to allow conceal carry Chihuahuas. "

(More considered post will follow when coffee kicks in. Probably involves dog licensing, breeding licenses and spading by default) The people should fight then to allow conceal carry Chihuahuas.

"

Don't get me started on the military grade assault bovines. Why can't the be banned too.

[Removed by poster at 04/06/23 13:44:26]

Call out the police and the military my Quad sausage mobilization unit is reeking havoc in the back yard !!

By *ohnnyTwoNotesMan 46 weeks ago

golden fields

What they all have in common is that they are animals. It's naive to imagine animals always behave in a predictable and non-aggressive way. Maybe Pitbulls can be trained not to attack, but I doubt such training is the priority of Pitbull owners.

Dogs are no more aggressive by nature than we are. Maybe we should have children licences along with the dog ones."

I'm in agreement.

Dogs are no more aggressive by nature than we are. Maybe we should have children licences along with the dog ones.

I'm in agreement.

"

wow I agree I trust my dogs more than humans.

By *inkywife1981Couple 46 weeks ago

A town near you

Would be interested to see the statistics on fatal dog attacks ie what breeds kill the most

Pershore

"Would be interested to see the statistics on fatal dog attacks ie what breeds kill the most"

Pitbull type dogs have been responsible for half of all dog-related deaths in the UK since 2021, killing 6 adults and 3 children. The problem is exact classification of breeds. It is a grey area. The authorities rely on vets to pronounce on dog breeds, and they are understandably cautious to condemn dogs to death. Fine - until the dog 'flips' and mutilates or kills a child. I'm not against dogs in general, they make fantastic pets and companions. But the weaponising of certain breeds is a worrying social trend.

A town near you

"Would be interested to see the statistics on fatal dog attacks ie what breeds kill the most

Pitbull type dogs have been responsible for half of all dog-related deaths in the UK since 2021, killing 6 adults and 3 children. The problem is exact classification of breeds. It is a grey area. The authorities rely on vets to pronounce on dog breeds, and they are understandably cautious to condemn dogs to death. Fine - until the dog 'flips' and mutilates or kills a child. I'm not against dogs in general, they make fantastic pets and companions. But the weaponising of certain breeds is a worrying social trend."

When I was a kid you only seen pitbulls and rottweilers and the like in scrap yards as guard dogs, for a reason I guess. Now people keep them as house pets !

By *oolyCoolyCplCouple 46 weeks ago

Newcastle under Lyme

Wolves are classed as wild animals, pitbulls and some other breeds should go on the same sort of lists. They have specific needs over other dogs and need the right care to keep under control. The problem is too many stupid people buy them and then cry when their children or the friend's children get their faces or throats ripped out.

Even when a dog attacks someone l have found that the owner is in denial, always the other persons fault, no reasoning with them until something really serious happens ,then it is too late ,lives are ruined, nothing changes.l understand that people have a choice to own these dogs that attack, but do not do enough to prevent them from maiming and killing.ln letting their dogs roam without a lead in public or providing security on their property so they can't get out then they are breaking the law ,not that much can be done about that.

I still have the scars from being attacked by a huge loose dog while l was walking in the street, the owner was more concerned about the dog than me, now l can't relax when l see a dog not on a lead. It is just not right that ignorant selfish owners think they can let their dogs do what they want in public.

Having been involved in dog rescue for many years and fostered many dogs breed specific legislation is not the answer. Some of the most viscious dogs are popular breeds and any dog can turn out bad if the owners don't do their job properly.

I had a dog that would attack other dogs and bite in specific circumstances but managed him very carefully so no one and no other dog got hurt.

I also never allow young children around my dogs unsupervised and never allow them to climb over my dogs.

Problem is people sell on problem dogs without being honest about their history. And people with problem dogs also don't do the difficult decision of having the animal put to sleep if they have attacked someone unprovoked.

By *oubleswing2019Man 46 weeks ago

Colchester

I spoke to a PC dog handler once and he explained, "My dog is a weapon. I treat him like a loaded gun and I oull the trigger when needed in a controlled and responsible manner".

And that got me thinking.

In the hands of a trained professional, a trained and controlled dog is a weapon, right ?

Ergo, in the hands of an untrained professional, an untrained and uncontrollable dog is still a weapon. And now an even more dangerous and unpredictable one.

The difference being training of course.

Which leads me to conclude that unless the owner is trained to the same degree as a police dog handler, certain breeds should be completely off-limits to the general public.

Responsible gun owners will keep their weapons locked away in a gun safe. You cannot do that with dogs. Yet some are fangerous weapons lying around. (pun not originally intended, but then I realised..that's not a bad typo !).

I think our relationship with dogs, at least the more dangerous breeds, needs to be reconsidered as a society.

By *ove2pleaseseukMan 46 weeks ago

Hastings

Reading most of the posts. Most are in agreement that it's not the dog so why licence the dog. The owners should be licenced to have a pet and I do mean any pet.

Make it un lawful to buy or hme a dog without a licence held buy the house hold.

Chip would link to an address so easy to fine owner or for prosecution

By *ornucopiaMan 46 weeks ago

Bexley

"Reading most of the posts. Most are in agreement that it's not the dog so why licence the dog. The owners should be licenced to have a pet and I do mean any pet.

Make it un lawful to buy or hme a dog without a licence held buy the house hold.

Chip would link to an address so easy to fine owner or for prosecution "

So, how would would not being chipped automatically help?

Anyone who operates outside the law is not going to get the dog chipped and if they are on the fringes of society, they know damned well that the police wo't be visiting their dodgy location if they can possibly help it.

By *usybee73Man 46 weeks ago

in the sticks

As a border collie owner, I find the press never report the whole incidents correctly.

I find most people, parents etc don't know how to deal with dogs, never mind train them to a standard.

I was always taught from a child, never touch a dog, don't look at it and acknowledge it until it tells you it's interested etc

Most cases you will find someone has fussed, walked or stared at a dog ... especially children are guilty of it imho

Dogs are like people. Their upbringing is what matters to thier sociability and temperament.

A town near you

I have a Jack Russell and he's a temperamental little Bstard and we always keep him in the back room if people are visiting in the house as he would nip if a stranger tried to pet him. That said my 4 year old son could pull him off you if he attacked you and he even then he wouldn't be capable of causing any serious injuries even if he tried.

How ever if I decided I needed an extremely vicious and powerful dog as a "pet" outcomes might differ

By *usybee73Man 46 weeks ago

in the sticks

"I have a Jack Russell and he's a temperamental little Bstard and we always keep him in the back room if people are visiting in the house as he would nip if a stranger tried to pet him. That said my 4 year old son could pull him off you if he attacked you and he even then he wouldn't be capable of causing any serious injuries even if he tried.

How ever if I decided I needed an extremely vicious and powerful dog as a "pet" outcomes might differ"

Used to have 2 as a kid, they chased the postman, milkman, paper boy etc

If you were family, belly rub them to death!

Mine loves Jack's as they are both breeds from the farms, same as the half feral cats ... cats rule all the dogs

» Add a new message to this topic