FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > Politics > The biggest shake up of alcohol taxes in a century.

The biggest shake up of alcohol taxes in a century.

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *hagTonight OP   Man 40 weeks ago

From the land of haribos.

I read an article and those were the words from sunak and I actually agree with him on that, the reason they are doing the shake up is because it aims to encourage drinkers to cut back by taxing all alcohol based on its strengths, rather than the previous categories of

wine, beer, spirits and ciders.

What do you think of that idea? I think that that it is a good idea, but I can see a downside to it as well, what about the pubs and could they survive it, also does this mean that the pubs have to increase the cost of a pint?

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By (user no longer on site) 40 weeks ago

I'm just going to have two chasers with my pint now instead of three, Shag.

Times are hard.

By *im RoyleCouple 40 weeks ago

chester

"I read an article and those were the words from sunak and I actually agree with him on that, the reason they are doing the shake up is because it aims to encourage drinkers to cut back by taxing all alcohol based on its strengths, rather than the previous categories of

What do you think of that idea? I think that that it is a good idea, but I can see a downside to it as well, what about the pubs and could they survive it, also does this mean that the pubs have to increase the cost of a pint? "

The reason they are doing it is to appeal to a certain person or persons. It is pathetic. We still have highest cost of beer compared to most in eu. Brexit had feck all to do with this as suggested. Same as when they said we could set our own VAT even though uk had higher VAT then minimum set by eu and is STILL higher. It’s a con from the party as they are trying to cover up the new oil deals in which Sunaks family make billions.

Lying bunch of con men

By *ove2pleaseseukMan 40 weeks ago

Hastings

"I read an article and those were the words from sunak and I actually agree with him on that, the reason they are doing the shake up is because it aims to encourage drinkers to cut back by taxing all alcohol based on its strengths, rather than the previous categories of

What do you think of that idea? I think that that it is a good idea, but I can see a downside to it as well, what about the pubs and could they survive it, also does this mean that the pubs have to increase the cost of a pint? "

Apparently a pint of beer will be the same it's wine and spirits that are going to increase in price.

On the plus side, a bottle of fizz is now cheaper so it's not all bad news, Shag.

I don't know whether this extends to fizzy Haribo but I shall make some enquiries and report back

By *allySlinkyWoman 40 weeks ago

Leeds

"

Apparently a pint of beer will be the same it's wine and spirits that are going to increase in price. "

Beer in a pub will stay the same but a can of beer in the supermarket will go up 4p

Leeds

"I'm just going to have two chasers with my pint now instead of three, Shag.

Times are hard."

Graeme Littlejohn, chief of Whisky Distillers Association says the 10.1% tax increase adds almost £1 to the cost of a bottle, meaning that 75% of an average bottle of Whisky is now tax.

By *inky_couple2020Couple 40 weeks ago

North West

"

Apparently a pint of beer will be the same it's wine and spirits that are going to increase in price.

Beer in a pub will stay the same but a can of beer in the supermarket will go up 4p"

Scandalous. Won't someone think of the beer drinkers??

Times are hard.

Graeme Littlejohn, chief of Whisky Distillers Association says the 10.1% tax increase adds almost £1 to the cost of a bottle, meaning that 75% of an average bottle of Whisky is now tax."

And the tax increase on beer means that an average pint of Carling is now 100% shit.

By *mf123Man 40 weeks ago

the space between spaces

Its ok i dont drink altho does that make me a tax dodger

By *icecouple561Couple 40 weeks ago
Forum Mod

East Sussex

Is it to discourage the minority of the population who drink too much or to generate more income via taxation?

It'll only encourage people to either brew their own or get it elsewhere. Adding to this what will the people who are addicted? Will their benefits increase with the price increase?

Not that any of these points effect me at all as I'm not a big drinker and when I do drink I prefer a below 4% ale

What do you think of that idea? I think that that it is a good idea, but I can see a downside to it as well, what about the pubs and could they survive it, also does this mean that the pubs have to increase the cost of a pint?

The reason they are doing it is to appeal to a certain person or persons. It is pathetic. We still have highest cost of beer compared to most in eu. Brexit had feck all to do with this as suggested. Same as when they said we could set our own VAT even though uk had higher VAT then minimum set by eu and is STILL higher. It’s a con from the party as they are trying to cover up the new oil deals in which Sunaks family make billions.

Lying bunch of con men"

"Sunaks family make...... BILLIONS....."??

(In excess of one thousand million..??!)

Really..?

Please feel free to explain.

Leeds

His father-in-law Murthy is worth $4.3 billion US dollars

By *icecouple561Couple 40 weeks ago
Forum Mod

East Sussex

I think we all know that people addicted to alcohol will always find a way of getting it.

By *eroy1000Man 40 weeks ago

milton keynes

I may be thinking of something else but didn't Scotland do some sort of minimum pricing per unit ages ago. Will it help people cut back on excessive drinking I guess is the question

Times are hard."

That is good to have one less too

By *orleymanMan 40 weeks ago

Leeds

Lying bunch of con men"

Leeds

"I may be thinking of something else but didn't Scotland do some sort of minimum pricing per unit ages ago. Will it help people cut back on excessive drinking I guess is the question"

No. Minimum pricing made people drink harder spirits and had a negative impact on health.

chester

Lying bunch of con men

Really..?

Please feel free to explain."

Look it up. They have fingers in many pies. Billions worth. Russia, oil, etc. it’s not difficult to find, although they still keep trying

chester

"Is it to discourage the minority of the population who drink too much or to generate more income via taxation?"

Price not going down. Just up less!! It’s a con

Leeds

Lying bunch of con men

Really..?

Look it up. They have fingers in many pies. Billions worth. Russia, oil, etc. it’s not difficult to find, although they still keep trying "

Leeds

Not for us to look up I am afraid.

Tin foil hat claims require evidence please.

By *ercuryMan 40 weeks ago

Grantham

"Is it to discourage the minority of the population who drink too much or to generate more income via taxation?"

It's to try and equalise prices between pubs and supermarkets.

If people continue to buy cheaper alcohol from supermarkets, then there will soon be no pubs left.

Its what some campaign groups have asked for.

It makes absolute sense to tax alcohol dependent on strength.

By *oversfunCouple 40 weeks ago

ayrshire

"I may be thinking of something else but didn't Scotland do some sort of minimum pricing per unit ages ago. Will it help people cut back on excessive drinking I guess is the question

No. Minimum pricing made people drink harder spirits and had a negative impact on health."

What evidence do you have of this?

By *enSiskoMan 40 weeks ago

Cestus 3

Yes it quite sensible to raise prices for alcohol, everything else is going up, what next water...... ho yes its going up as well I believe.

Leeds

"I may be thinking of something else but didn't Scotland do some sort of minimum pricing per unit ages ago. Will it help people cut back on excessive drinking I guess is the question

No. Minimum pricing made people drink harder spirits and had a negative impact on health.

What evidence do you have of this?"

Scottish government data sets

ayrshire

Scottish government data sets"

no you never

Leeds

Scottish government data setsno you never"

It was from public health's cotland citing vodka sales rose markedly.

ayrshire

Scottish government data setsno you never

It was from public health's cotland citing vodka sales rose markedly."

rubbish,it has 13.4% reduction on deaths and related hospital addmisions down 4.1% and many other benefits but maybe you never seen them ?

Leeds

It was from public health's cotland citing vodka sales rose markedly.rubbish,it has 13.4% reduction on deaths and related hospital addmisions down 4.1% and many other benefits but maybe you never seen them ?"

No.

I suggest.you re read the paper.

By *astandFeistyCouple 40 weeks ago

Bournemouth

It was from public health's cotland citing vodka sales rose markedly.rubbish,it has 13.4% reduction on deaths and related hospital addmisions down 4.1% and many other benefits but maybe you never seen them ?"

This is from Alcohol Change, a registered charity:

'One is more use of local shops, since there are fewer alcohol discounts to attract people to travel to larger supermarkets. The other is drinkers switching from strong ciders to wine or spirits. MUP applies to all drinks types, and so there is no way to sidestep it and get more “bangs for your bucks” – more units for your money'

Leeds

It was from public health's cotland citing vodka sales rose markedly.rubbish,it has 13.4% reduction on deaths and related hospital addmisions down 4.1% and many other benefits but maybe you never seen them ?

'One is more use of local shops, since there are fewer alcohol discounts to attract people to travel to larger supermarkets. The other is drinkers switching from strong ciders to wine or spirits. MUP applies to all drinks types, and so there is no way to sidestep it and get more “bangs for your bucks” – more units for your money'"

The problem is the same study they quote is using the same.logic as the brexit 4%.

They use England and Wales data as the control.

Not previous data of Scotland.

So they are using the growth of alcohol sales and deaths ine ngland and Wales as a control measure vs deaths in scotland. The problem being. Deaths were decreasing in scotland and rising in England and Wales prior to this study. So their control group thinking is completely wrong.

The alcohol specific death rate rose by 1 in 100k from 2017 to 2020.

They also didn't account for the black market.

Many hopped over the border. To buy alcohol. With 1 in 5 who lived withing 60 minutes drive of the border driving over the border to do these alcohol runs.

It's an absolute hash of a study that tries painting minimum pricing in a good light when it simply can't be.

Leeds

^if we invent this fictitious alternate reality that has no grounding I reality to compare to. We can generate whatever results we want....

ayrshire

It was from public health's cotland citing vodka sales rose markedly.rubbish,it has 13.4% reduction on deaths and related hospital addmisions down 4.1% and many other benefits but maybe you never seen them ?

No.

"

as i thought you made it up

ayrshire

'One is more use of local shops, since there are fewer alcohol discounts to attract people to travel to larger supermarkets. The other is drinkers switching from strong ciders to wine or spirits. MUP applies to all drinks types, and so there is no way to sidestep it and get more “bangs for your bucks” – more units for your money'

The problem is the same study they quote is using the same.logic as the brexit 4%.

They use England and Wales data as the control.

Not previous data of Scotland.

So they are using the growth of alcohol sales and deaths ine ngland and Wales as a control measure vs deaths in scotland. The problem being. Deaths were decreasing in scotland and rising in England and Wales prior to this study. So their control group thinking is completely wrong.

The alcohol specific death rate rose by 1 in 100k from 2017 to 2020.

They also didn't account for the black market.

Many hopped over the border. To buy alcohol. With 1 in 5 who lived withing 60 minutes drive of the border driving over the border to do these alcohol runs.

It's an absolute hash of a study that tries painting minimum pricing in a good light when it simply can't be.

"

it has saved lives ,or are you going to make something else up that says it dosent

Leeds

No.

as i thought you made it up "

No.

I suggest you read and compreh3nd the report whose figures you quote.

I have made nothing up.

Vodka and spirit sales increased. Sales of other less potent beverages decreased.

Scots doubled the amount that drove over the border ( again this doesn't factor into the increased sales as they're sales in england) so not only have Scots bought more alcohol from England. They bought more high end spirits in scotland.

1 extra person per 100k died ins cotland by 2021 since mup inception.

The only made up stat here is the actual control group.

Because you shouldnt use another country as a control group but compare vs your own historic trend.

I woudlnt compare alcohol sales in China for England , Scotland shouldn't extrpolate anything from England and use it as a base for their own

England alcohol deaths have stayed steady or increased until 2010. Then dipped. The increased again.

Scotland however has seen this decline since 2002 until 2015. Since then it was roughly the same. Then it enjoyed and even larger uptick than England and Wales.

Leeds

You are literally denying reality

https://www.ons.gov.uk/peoplepopulationandcommunity/birthsdeathsandmarriages/deaths/bulletins/alcoholspecificdeathsintheuk/2021registrations#:~:text=Alcohol%2Dspecific%20deaths%20have%20risen%20sharply%20since%202019.,100%2C000%20over%20the%20same%20period

ayrshire

No.

No.

I have made nothing up.

Vodka and spirit sales increased. Sales of other less potent beverages decreased.

Scots doubled the amount that drove over the border ( again this doesn't factor into the increased sales as they're sales in england) so not only have Scots bought more alcohol from England. They bought more high end spirits in scotland.

Because you shouldnt use another country as a control group but compare vs your own historic trend.

I woudlnt compare alcohol sales in China for England , Scotland shouldn't extrpolate anything from England and use it as a base for their own

England alcohol deaths have stayed steady or increased until 2010. Then dipped. The increased again.

Scotland however has seen this decline since 2002 until 2015. Since then it was roughly the same. Then it enjoyed and even larger uptick than England and Wales.

"

your a bluffer who talks shite

Leeds

No.

No.

I have made nothing up.

your a bluffer who talks shite "

When you want to read reports, understand them, then come back and have an adult discussion.

I'll be here.

I am sorry statistical data gathered by local government and quangos disagrees with your assumptions.

North West

"His father-in-law Murthy is worth $4.3 billion US dollars"

My father in law is very poorly off, but his means do not impact our means....

By *alcon43Woman 40 weeks ago

Paisley

People in Scotland are still getting excessively d*unk regardless of whether it’s at home, in a pub or in a club. I see people doing shots more often and they aren’t cheap.

Maybe they are going out less and making the most of it when they do. I do drink in Glasgow just to clarify that I am talking from experience.

Lying bunch of con men

Really..?

Look it up. They have fingers in many pies. Billions worth. Russia, oil, etc. it’s not difficult to find, although they still keep trying "

I really don't need to "look it up".

Do some people not comprehend the meaning of 'one billion', let alone "billions"...???!!

ONE million multiplied ONE thousand times.

"Billions"..... any multiple of one billion, plus as many times as one cares to state (invent?)

Do folk not realise.... IF.... this story of a public figure, no less the current Prime Minister, was, indeed true, just what kind of furore would inevitably result.....??

The idea of such a situation, in MY considered opinion, is nothing short of fantasy.

I'm meaning the enrichment of the P.M.'s immediate family.

Until proven, I stand by my assertion.

Thank you. X

No.

No.

I have made nothing up.

your a bluffer who talks shite "

Is there a need for such vulgar posting...??

By *haverMan 40 weeks ago

bracknell

Having paid £16 pounds for a med wine and a pint I can only see gloom for the pubs I would rather stay at home and drink ,this party and the others think that raising taxes is the cure but I'm pretty pi##ed off with paying taxes ,vat ect ,just a disguise for a government cash cow ,destroying what little pleasures we have left ,next they will be taxing the air we breathe ,time for a revolution and get a better party in for the people not blue ,red or yellow and certainly not green

By *addad99Man 40 weeks ago

Rotherham /newquay

"It'll only encourage people to either brew their own or get it elsewhere. Adding to this what will the people who are addicted? Will their benefits increase with the price increase?

Not that any of these points effect me at all as I'm not a big drinker and when I do drink I prefer a below 4% ale "

all welcome to my bar no increase madri £2 a pint

Hastings

So is it about saving lives, rasing money for the treasure or trying to save pubs I dont see it saving pubs as there are reliant on food and lots drink already over priced wine with a meal ??

By *otMe66Man 40 weeks ago

Terra Firma

"It'll only encourage people to either brew their own or get it elsewhere. Adding to this what will the people who are addicted? Will their benefits increase with the price increase?

Not that any of these points effect me at all as I'm not a big drinker and when I do drink I prefer a below 4% ale all welcome to my bar no increase madri £2 a pint "

The last time I paid £2 for a pint there were only 4 tv channels to choose from.

Where is this mythical bar of yours, I’m on my way

By *enSiskoMan 40 weeks ago

Cestus 3

An alcoholic is hooked on alcohol so any increase in duty would affect them but they will still buy anyway due to being addicted.

Rotherham /newquay

Not that any of these points effect me at all as I'm not a big drinker and when I do drink I prefer a below 4% ale all welcome to my bar no increase madri £2 a pint

The last time I paid £2 for a pint there were only 4 tv channels to choose from.

Where is this mythical bar of yours, I’m on my way "

in my back garden just had a new Barrell delivered Monday 170 for 88 pints

Bournemouth

Not that any of these points effect me at all as I'm not a big drinker and when I do drink I prefer a below 4% ale all welcome to my bar no increase madri £2 a pint

Where is this mythical bar of yours, I’m on my way in my back garden just had a new Barrell delivered Monday 170 for 88 pints"

How you getting through that in a month?

Terra Firma

Where is this mythical bar of yours, I’m on my way in my back garden just had a new Barrell delivered Monday 170 for 88 pints

How you getting through that in a month? "

Where did you get a month from

Hastings

Where is this mythical bar of yours, I’m on my way in my back garden just had a new Barrell delivered Monday 170 for 88 pints

Where did you get a month from "

That's about a week for some I use to drink 10 pints a night on a week night

Terra Firma

That's about a week for some I use to drink 10 pints a night on a week night "

I have neither the bladder, balance or time to drink 10 pints in one sitting, that sounds like torture.

Did you work or drive the following day?

Rotherham /newquay

How you getting through that in a month? "

couple pints a night more at weekend mates round sometimes might only last a couple of weeks depending on if I have a party doesn't last long unless im on my own or away

By *AFKA HovisMan 40 weeks ago

Sindon Swingdon Swindon

"You are literally denying reality

https://www.ons.gov.uk/peoplepopulationandcommunity/birthsdeathsandmarriages/deaths/bulletins/alcoholspecificdeathsintheuk/2021registrations#:~:text=Alcohol%2Dspecific%20deaths%20have%20risen%20sharply%20since%202019.,100%2C000%20over%20the%20same%20period"

Interesting.

MUP was 2018, right?

Imo one needs to look at both Scotland trend plus the wider trend.

Yes, Scotland has gone up. By 1 person per 100,000. But the others have gone up by 2-3.

And Scotland had a higher start point too. So a eevn smaller % increase.

It's a complex world. Lots of factors. Some will be general (eg covid and lockdowns). Some will be country specific.

We didn't know what Scotland would have done without the tax change. Maybe it would have been flat. Maybe it would have been 3 extra per 100,000.

That's why we look at both inter and intra trends.

Although, I suspect you know this.

Bournemouth

That's about a week for some I use to drink 10 pints a night on a week night "

10 pints a night??

North West

How you getting through that in a month? couple pints a night more at weekend mates round sometimes might only last a couple of weeks depending on if I have a party doesn't last long unless im on my own or away "

Have you had your liver function checked recently?? Might be an idea

Rotherham /newquay

How you getting through that in a month? couple pints a night more at weekend mates round sometimes might only last a couple of weeks depending on if I have a party doesn't last long unless im on my own or away

Have you had your liver function checked recently?? Might be an idea "

why we all die might as well enjoy it

Leeds

Where is this mythical bar of yours, I’m on my way "

There's a place called the angel.inn in Leeds that I think was £1.98 a pint in 2015

Leeds

https://www.ons.gov.uk/peoplepopulationandcommunity/birthsdeathsandmarriages/deaths/bulletins/alcoholspecificdeathsintheuk/2021registrations#:~:text=Alcohol%2Dspecific%20deaths%20have%20risen%20sharply%20since%202019.,100%2C000%20over%20the%20same%20period

Interesting.

MUP was 2018, right?

Yes, Scotland has gone up. By 1 person per 100,000. But the others have gone up by 2-3.

It's a complex world. Lots of factors. Some will be general (eg covid and lockdowns). Some will be country specific.

We didn't know what Scotland would have done without the tax change. Maybe it would have been flat. Maybe it would have been 3 extra per 100,000.

"

Scotland was on a long downward.trend from.2002 ish. Then rose once minimumnpricing was introduced.

The others didn't rise s quickly as Scotland.

I disagree using other coutnries. Differing cultures.

Use previous trends.

I would have atleast expected Sctoalnd to level out under MUP. The cold hard fact is, it didn't. And using the growth of England and Wales in the intervening years as a guide when Scotland was declining is extremely disingenuous.

By *AFKA HovisMan 40 weeks ago

Sindon Swingdon Swindon

Interesting.

MUP was 2018, right?

Scotland was on a long downward.trend from.2002 ish. Then rose once minimumnpricing was introduced.

The others didn't rise s quickly as Scotland.

I disagree using other coutnries. Differing cultures.

Use previous trends.

I would have atleast expected Sctoalnd to level out under MUP. The cold hard fact is, it didn't. And using the growth of England and Wales in the intervening years as a guide when Scotland was declining is extremely disingenuous.

"

I guess its far back you look at trends. It had trended up since 2012. Something interesting has kicked in the six years before that I agree.

Imo you look at as much data as you can. It's a combo of culture overlaid with common experiences such as covid. If every country in the world doubled its death rate other than Scotland, is be loathe to ignore that data)

(id also need to know what leads to alcohol specific death rates to form a view of his quickly if expect to see change)/

North West

How you getting through that in a month? couple pints a night more at weekend mates round sometimes might only last a couple of weeks depending on if I have a party doesn't last long unless im on my own or away

Have you had your liver function checked recently?? Might be an idea why we all die might as well enjoy it "

True, but pickling your liver is a slow and very painful way to do it

Yes. I think that it could be a mix of it

Hastings

That's about a week for some I use to drink 10 pints a night on a week night

I have neither the bladder, balance or time to drink 10 pints in one sitting, that sounds like torture.

Did you work or drive the following day?"

Yer it was just the norm pub at about 7ish 4 pints an hour or there abouts was about 22 the more you drink the more the body gets use to it.

Hastings

Have you had your liver function checked recently?? Might be an idea "

When I met the wife she had me get my LFT tested all good.

By *icolerobbieCouple 39 weeks ago

walsall

Another tax increase. As usual it’s under the guise of “it’s for your own well-being”.

Same old same old.

By *rDiscretionXXXMan 39 weeks ago

Gilfach

"Another tax increase. As usual it’s under the guise of “it’s for your own well-being”.

Same old same old."

I don't hear anyone saying that the tax raise is for our own good. Where are you hearing that?

By *ove2pleaseseukMan 39 weeks ago

Hastings

So when dose this start got some wine the other day can't say it was more expensive.

By *haverMan 37 weeks ago

bracknell

1beer,2 big spritzers 10euro ,that's in Italy ,plus they give you a plate of crisps ,what are we doing wrong in England to be punished to pay more ,bring on the revolution

By *oolyCoolyCplCouple 37 weeks ago

Newcastle under Lyme

It's just a way to raise more money, there's plenty of folk who like stronger drinks but consume them infrequently.

» Add a new message to this topic