FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > Politics > The difference between an expat and an immigrant

The difference between an expat and an immigrant

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *bernath OP   Couple 37 weeks ago

Gloucestershire

Always a noodle scratcher.

Whenever someone comes to this country they are called an immigrant, but whenever we migrate to another country we are called “expats”, surely we should be called immigrants also.

Isn’t it time that british immigrants drop the word expat because it’s clearly a term which tries to hide an inconvenient truth. That we go over to countries and do the same thing that immigrants who come here do. Also I’ve heard stories of expats illegally migrating to other countries to evade convictions.

Hypocrisy at its finest, or is there nothing to see here?

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By (user no longer on site) 37 weeks ago

Not really difficult.......

Yes, when a foreign national comes here from whichever country, they are labelled by us as 'immigrants'.

If a British national goes overseas to either stay or live there, (except to holiday), we here label them 'expats', or 'emigrants', which nowadays is a rarely used term. Most folk favour the word expat in its stead.

I expect foreigners in their respective lands, would label their own who may have 'emigrated' to Britain, 'expats' also.

So, no hypocrisy, no 'delusions of grandeur' on the British on this occasion, merely a little ignorance experienced by certain residents, which is really nothing to be ashamed of, as a little study ought to put things right on this particular subject...., and, I dare say...., many others.

Conclusively.

By *melie LALWoman 37 weeks ago

Peterborough

^^ thread finished

By *idnight RamblerMan 37 weeks ago

Pershore

As a former expat, it's just a term we call ourselves. In my host countries of China, Hong Kong and Singapore, I was known as Lao Wai, Gwai Lo and Ang Mo respectively. The terms aren't exactly complimentary but nobody cared.

By *ove2pleaseseukMan 37 weeks ago

Hastings

"Always a noodle scratcher.

Whenever someone comes to this country they are called an immigrant, but whenever we migrate to another country we are called “expats”, surely we should be called immigrants also.

Isn’t it time that british immigrants drop the word expat because it’s clearly a term which tries to hide an inconvenient truth. That we go over to countries and do the same thing that immigrants who come here do. Also I’ve heard stories of expats illegally migrating to other countries to evade convictions.

"

So do you think the expat entered the country illegal at the beginning r went through a process menig they had a legitimate right to be there and work there.

By *oan of DArcCouple 37 weeks ago

Glasgow

So do you think the expat entered the country illegal at the beginning r went through a process menig they had a legitimate right to be there and work there. "

Perhaps a question for indigenous Australians or Native Americans...or anywhere else in the world colonised by force.

By *rDiscretionXXXMan 37 weeks ago

Gilfach

'Expats / emigrants' are people from here that have gone over there. 'Immigrants' are people from over there that have come over here. Which label gets applied to you depends on which country you're standing in.

You seem to think that 'immigrant is a bad word used to label people we don't like. You're wrong.

"'Expats / emigrants' are people from here that have gone over there. 'Immigrants' are people from over there that have come over here. Which label gets applied to you depends on which country you're standing in.

You seem to think that 'immigrant is a bad word used to label people we don't like. You're wrong."

You’re only speaking for yourself. To some, the word ‘immigrant’ is definitely a bad word.

Glasgow

"

The other sanitising expression to describe (usually) white immigrants/refugees is emigre. Imagine the small boat refugees being described as such by the Daily Mail.

By *astandFeistyCouple 37 weeks ago

Bournemouth

The other sanitising expression to describe (usually) white immigrants/refugees is emigre. Imagine the small boat refugees being described as such by the Daily Mail."

Not (usually), Albanians are mostly white.

By *ohnnyTwoNotesMan 37 weeks ago

golden fields

"'Expats / emigrants' are people from here that have gone over there. 'Immigrants' are people from over there that have come over here. Which label gets applied to you depends on which country you're standing in.

You seem to think that 'immigrant is a bad word used to label people we don't like. You're wrong.

You’re only speaking for yourself. To some, the word ‘immigrant’ is definitely a bad word. "

It's an excellent word to rile up the electorate when something else is going on that the government/press don't want us to think about. Wait no, look at those immigrants over there in that boat.

Glasgow

The other sanitising expression to describe (usually) white immigrants/refugees is emigre. Imagine the small boat refugees being described as such by the Daily Mail.

Not (usually), Albanians are mostly white. "

My point was the term is rarely, if ever used to describe non-white immigrants.

You’re only speaking for yourself. To some, the word ‘immigrant’ is definitely a bad word.

It's an excellent word to rile up the electorate when something else is going on that the government/press don't want us to think about. Wait no, look at those immigrants over there in that boat. "

"Don't want US (as in I and millions of others) to think about"

Speak for yourself, most of us don't need you to speak on our behalf, thank you.

Besides, your constant rhetoric is beginning to bore some of us.

Change the record....... please??

By *9alMan 37 weeks ago

Bridgend

I am an English economic migrant living in Wales, England is too expensive to live

golden fields

It's an excellent word to rile up the electorate when something else is going on that the government/press don't want us to think about. Wait no, look at those immigrants over there in that boat.

"

You made this quote up out of thin air

"

Speak for yourself, most of us don't need you to speak on our behalf, thank you.

"

Then seem to be offended by the quote you made up

"

Change the record....... please??"

Then back to the standard personal attack.

I rarely bother to reply to you because it's always just a person attack. But this one was especially funny.

Peterborough

Immigration, immigrant, migrating in.

Emigration, emigrant, migrating out.

Migrant, migrating.

Émigré, you'd think it was just a French word for emigrant (I'm sure that's the root of it) but it's one in exile eg political emigrant/refugee.

Refugee, fleeing persecution.

Not one of these words suggests colour. Not one of these words are derogatory.

Anything else is inaccurate perception.

Glasgow

"Immigration, immigrant, migrating in.

Migrant, migrating.

Émigré, you'd think it was just a French word for emigrant (I'm sure that's the root of it) but it's one in exile eg political emigrant/refugee.

Anything else is inaccurate perception."

Despite the literal meaning of these words they are used by the media in a context to shape emotional reactions, positive and negative.

Bournemouth

I rarely bother to reply to you because it's always just a person attack. But this one was especially funny."

You wrote: don't want us to think about it.

Eva added the bracket for context, at no point did she make something up

Bournemouth

Not (usually), Albanians are mostly white.

My point was the term is rarely, if ever used to describe non-white immigrants."

Nor white immigrants. You really should write what you mean.

By *otMe66Man 37 weeks ago

Terra Firma

Migrant, migrating.

Despite the literal meaning of these words they are used by the media in a context to shape emotional reactions, positive and negative."

Shaping emotional reactions from people like you or others?

By *eroy1000Man 37 weeks ago

milton keynes

If I moved (legally) to another country then some here might term me as an expat or emigrant. What would the people in my new country consider me, would it also be expat or something else?

Terra Firma

In some parts of the UK they call a bread roll a cob.

In the US they call a courgette a zucchini.

golden fields

"In some parts of the UK they call a bread roll a cob.

"

Is "cob" used to instill fear in the electorate, or is "zucchini" used to distract people from other news?

Peterborough

Migrant, migrating.

Despite the literal meaning of these words they are used by the media in a context to shape emotional reactions, positive and negative."

I don't dispute that.

Terra Firma

Is "cob" used to instill fear in the electorate, or is "zucchini" used to distract people from other news?"

Is it you that is triggered and the rest of us can actually understand the meanings of those words?

Peterborough

Migrant, migrating.

Despite the literal meaning of these words they are used by the media in a context to shape emotional reactions, positive and negative.

Shaping emotional reactions from people like you or others?"

The poster is just pointing out an evocative context produced by the media. Does it matter whose emotions are evoked? The same has been done to benefit "scroungers".

Peterborough

Migrant, migrating.

The poster is just pointing out an evocative context produced by the media. Does it matter whose emotions are evoked? The same has been done to benefit "scroungers"."

About, not to

golden fields

Is "cob" used to instill fear in the electorate, or is "zucchini" used to distract people from other news?

Is it you that is triggered and the rest of us can actually understand the meanings of those words? "

Can confirm, I am not triggered by "zucchini", "cob" or "immigrants".

Thanks for your concern though.

golden fields

Is it you that is triggered and the rest of us can actually understand the meanings of those words?

Thanks for your concern though. "

But would you like to answer the question?

By *ust RachelTV/TS 37 weeks ago

Eastbourne

"As a former expat, it's just a term we call ourselves. In my host countries of China, Hong Kong and Singapore, I was known as Lao Wai, Gwai Lo and Ang Mo respectively. The terms aren't exactly complimentary but nobody cared."

Gaijin in Japan.

Terra Firma

But would you like to answer the question?"

It is you that thinks everyone but you is being manipulated by such words, i have nothing to prove, you however do if you are going to make such bold statements

Terra Firma

Migrant, migrating.

The poster is just pointing out an evocative context produced by the media. Does it matter whose emotions are evoked? The same has been done to benefit "scroungers"."

I understand exactly what the poster is saying. I do not agree with his consistent message of everyone is being manipulated. The poster will deny this as usual, and may even suggest he didn't say it.

golden fields

It is you that thinks everyone but you is being manipulated by such words, i have nothing to prove, you however do if you are going to make such bold statements "

I didn't make a statement. I asked a question.

Peterborough

"As a former expat, it's just a term we call ourselves. In my host countries of China, Hong Kong and Singapore, I was known as Lao Wai, Gwai Lo and Ang Mo respectively. The terms aren't exactly complimentary but nobody cared.

Gaijin in Japan."

Is it a generic term or purely for Brits? As a nation we have used horrid terms for foreigners settling here, according to their country of origin. Example Wop.

Peterborough

Migrant, migrating.

The poster is just pointing out an evocative context produced by the media. Does it matter whose emotions are evoked? The same has been done to benefit "scroungers".

I understand exactly what the poster is saying. I do not agree with his consistent message of everyone is being manipulated. The poster will deny this as usual, and may even suggest he didn't say it."

He didn't! It was a couple's profile.

Peterborough

Migrant, migrating.

I understand exactly what the poster is saying. I do not agree with his consistent message of everyone is being manipulated. The poster will deny this as usual, and may even suggest he didn't say it.

He didn't! It was a couple's profile."

I'm assuming, rightly or wrongly, you're making reference to Johnny.

Terra Firma

Migrant, migrating.

He didn't! It was a couple's profile."

The profile on this reply was a couples, I’ve made the mistake of thinking it was he.

Terra Firma

Migrant, migrating.

He didn't! It was a couple's profile.

I'm assuming, rightly or wrongly, you're making reference to Johnny."

I have direct quotes to his posts

Terra Firma

It is you that thinks everyone but you is being manipulated by such words, i have nothing to prove, you however do if you are going to make such bold statements

"

The word immigration and immigrant are nothing to fear.

The same as a bread roll being called a cob.

Do you agree?

golden fields

Do you agree? "

I agree. What about zucchini?

Terra Firma

Do you agree?

I agree. What about zucchini?"

Goes without saying.

By *rucks and TrailersMan 37 weeks ago

Ealing

"

Why woyld anyone be worried about the terminology used? At least by differentiating we can identify which way the flows are. Not any different to a plumber identifying which way water flows.

Ealing

Do you agree? "

. Most rational people would agree with you. There may be a very small minority who disagree- probably less than 3,%

golden fields

Do you agree?

Goes without saying. "

So, Is "cob" used to instill fear in the electorate, or is "zucchini" used to distract people from other news?

Peterborough

Get a room you two zucchinis

Peterborough

Sounds like the name of a comedy show: cobs, nobs and zucchinis

Terra Firma

Do you agree?

Goes without saying.

So, Is "cob" used to instill fear in the electorate, or is "zucchini" used to distract people from other news?"

Neither as we agreed and also agreed there was nothing to fear with the other words.

Who are these people that are having fear instilled into their lives?

Terra Firma

"Sounds like the name of a comedy show: cobs, nobs and zucchinis "

golden fields

Do you agree?

Goes without saying.

So, Is "cob" used to instill fear in the electorate, or is "zucchini" used to distract people from other news?

Neither as we agreed and also agreed there was nothing to fear with the other words.

Who are these people that are having fear instilled into their lives?"

You said "The word immigration and immigrant are nothing to fear". To which I agree. Seems neither of us fear immigrants. However we are not necessarily representative of everyone. Have a look around at the way people vote, the things they read in newspapers, the things they post on swingers forums.

Terra Firma

Do you agree?

Goes without saying.

You said "The word immigration and immigrant are nothing to fear". To which I agree. Seems neither of us fear immigrants. However we are not necessarily representative of everyone. Have a look around at the way people vote, the things they read in newspapers, the things they post on swingers forums.

"

I think you will find 99.9% of the population respect and welcome immigrants who come here legally and add benefit to society.

This thread was nothing more than bait! Expats being called expats has nothing to do with the situation of people crossing the channel in small boats. If a person from the UK was caught smuggling into a country he would not be called an expat, he would be called an illegal immigrant and a criminal.

Like I said the thread is bait

golden fields

Do you agree?

Goes without saying.

I think you will find 99.9% of the population respect and welcome immigrants who come here legally and add benefit to society.

This thread was nothing more than bait! Expats being called expats has nothing to do with the situation of people crossing the channel in small boats. If a person from the UK was caught smuggling into a country he would not be called an expat, he would be called an illegal immigrant and a criminal.

Like I said the thread is bait"

Hard disagree on "I think you will find 99.9% of the population respect and welcome immigrants who come here legally and add benefit to society."

Only a few years ago fear of immigration was used as a tool to encourage people to vote to leave the EU.

Gilfach

"My point was the term is rarely, if ever used to describe non-white immigrants."

Really? I see people complaining about immigrants arriving in small boats. I don't see anyone discussing the colour of their skin or their country of origin.

I rarely bother to reply to you because it's always just a person attack. But this one was especially funny."

Off you go, as usual with your standard 'rebuke' as you have practised on here as long as I remember.

OK, let's see if I can 'offend' or 'outrage' you more, shall I..?? (oops, precede the two above words with 'faux', if you would, thank you).

Right.

1) You're either forgetful, impetuous or posting 'porkies' when you write......

"You made this quote up out of thin air"

(Source, c&p below, verbatim)

{It's an excellent word to rile up the electorate when something else is going on that the government/press DON'T WANT US TO THINK ABOUT. Wait no, look at those immigrants over there in that boat}

Above is a section of your original post to which I replied.

My own additional words in brackets were meant to show my annoyance with you for attempting speaking on my behalf, as explained to you now, which rules out 2),

(ref from my post),

Which I meant most definitely, i.e., don't ever involve either myself or others with your crackpot thinking.

You are a nightmare to reply to here. Almost every time either I or some other contributor calls you out for your remarks you play the victim card, the 'offended', the poor chap who always gets picked on, seemingly.

Maybe, you indeed DO have some psycological condition which is manifest this way as I've noticed you have also accused others of 'attacking' you, when all we are doing is debating or, occasionally, pointing out and refuting your outbursts.

My sincere apologies if you have such an attitude toward others. Regarding my posts, I have NEVER 'personally attacked' you here and I never shall.

And, (at last..!) FINALLY...,

I just find it beyond funny when I read some Walter Mitty type post from anyone, besides yourself. The 'change the record' salvo of mine was a good natured attempt to remind you of the fact you do at times repeat the same old lines when you really ought to cease with fanciful and groundless outbursts, they can be rather embarrassing to many.

Good afternoon.

"Get a room you two zucchinis "

(His) sidekick went 'U.N.L.O.S. some while back, there was a glut of 's floating about the site for some time after......

I rarely bother to reply to you because it's always just a person attack. But this one was especially funny.

You wrote: don't want us to think about it.

Eva added the bracket for context, at no point did she make something up "

Thanks Fiesty, just now seen your post.

Peterborough

"Get a room you two zucchinis

(His) sidekick went 'U.N.L.O.S. some while back, there was a glut of 's floating about the site for some time after......"

Don't you think 66 and Johnny make a "fine" duo? They'd have fun in a room together .

Gilfach

I don't know about you lot, but I've always considered 'expat' to be an insult. It's used to describe that sort of Brit that goes to live abroad, but refuses to integrate. A good example is the sort of Brit that lives in Spain, but only speaks English, and lives with a whole load of other Brits, and spends most of their time moaning about how the locals are all lazy and the shops are never open in the afternoons.

Peterborough

"I don't know about you lot, but I've always considered 'expat' to be an insult. It's used to describe that sort of Brit that goes to live abroad, but refuses to integrate. A good example is the sort of Brit that lives in Spain, but only speaks English, and lives with a whole load of other Brits, and spends most of their time moaning about how the locals are all lazy and the shops are never open in the afternoons."

Not my take on it.

Some of you people put a great deal of unwarranted info into words - it's how we get stereotypes, which lead to prejudice.

"I don't know about you lot, but I've always considered 'expat' to be an insult. It's used to describe that sort of Brit that goes to live abroad, but refuses to integrate. A good example is the sort of Brit that lives in Spain, but only speaks English, and lives with a whole load of other Brits, and spends most of their time moaning about how the locals are all lazy and the shops are never open in the afternoons."

Egg n chips and 8 lagers pour favor

Terra Firma

(His) sidekick went 'U.N.L.O.S. some while back, there was a glut of 's floating about the site for some time after......

Don't you think 66 and Johnny make a "fine" duo? They'd have fun in a room together ."

Thanks Cilla

I'm afraid he has a little something I'm not so keen on

Peterborough

Don't you think 66 and Johnny make a "fine" duo? They'd have fun in a room together .

Thanks Cilla

I'm afraid he has a little something I'm not so keen on "

His zucchini is green?

By *AFKA HovisMan 37 weeks ago

Sindon Swingdon Swindon

It's interesting that there have been posts on illegal immigration when this wasn't in the OP. I'd imagine that's the bait.

Let's call the boat ppl illegal expats.

By *ostindreamsMan 37 weeks ago

London

There is also a group of Brits(and Europeans) in the other extreme. They visit India/Nepal for a week and go back claiming that they had a spiritual experience and have converted to Hinduism/Buddhism. What?????

Thanks Cilla

I'm afraid he has a little something I'm not so keen on "

Me neither...

To quote Michael Caine's character from The Eagle Has Landed.......

"Reminds me of something I occasionally pick up on my shoe from the gutter.....

Very unpleasant on a hot day....."

As for this proposed "double act"

I predict sell out success....(?!!)

"

And in some corners they called the Nazis socialist.

Who’d have thunk it?

By *irldnCouple 37 weeks ago

Brighton

And in some corners they called the Nazis socialist.

Who’d have thunk it? "

did they eat zucchini cobs?

Brighton

Thanks Cilla

Me neither...

"

Sorry folks but coming cold into this thread, it does feel a bit like a pile on. Clever avoidance of direct insults to ensure no sanctions from the moderators, but a lot of passive aggressive posts and implied insults nonetheless. Surely we are all better than that?

Peterborough

Thanks Cilla

Me neither...

Sorry folks but coming cold into this thread, it does feel a bit like a pile on. Clever avoidance of direct insults to ensure no sanctions from the moderators, but a lot of passive aggressive posts and implied insults nonetheless. Surely we are all better than that? "

Or inferred insults.

It's good to keep it light-hearted. If people don't like my humour... Tough. I've honed it over fifty years

By *iltsguy200Man 37 weeks ago

Warminster

An expatriate, or expat, is an individual living and/or working in a country other than their country of citizenship, often temporarily and for work reasons.

The word comes from the Latin terms ex ('out of') and patria ('country, fatherland')

By *oubleswing2019Man 37 weeks ago

Colchester

"Who are these people that are having fear instilled into their lives?"

I think you'll find they are the general public.

I know of at least one national newspaper that has a "weekly briefing" amongst their staff. Attendance is compulsory.

The chair of the meeting begins with "How do you want to make people feel this week?"

Someone will say, "Angry. Pissed off" and someone else will say "Keep the pressure on the boat crossings."

Someone else will say, "Hopeful"

Another will add, "Run a commiserative story about the England Football Team, and how we are all proud of them. Focus on what they achieved and what they could achieve in the future".

etc etc etc

If that's not "manipulation", I don't know what is.

By *uri00620Woman 37 weeks ago

Croydon

I've never really thought about what I called myself when I lived abroad. In Africa I was always Mzungo or 'white person' which was shouted across streets etc by many and that was that. Factually accurate, no offence taken.

By *orleymanMan 37 weeks ago

Leeds

You seem to think that 'immigrant is a bad word used to label people we don't like. You're wrong."

100%

Terra Firma

Thanks Cilla

His zucchini is green?"

That he has a zucchini whatever the colour and I’m pretty sure Johnny is not going to be keen on my zucchini either

Terra Firma

"Who are these people that are having fear instilled into their lives?

I know of at least one national newspaper that has a "weekly briefing" amongst their staff. Attendance is compulsory.

The chair of the meeting begins with "How do you want to make people feel this week?"

Someone will say, "Angry. Pissed off" and someone else will say "Keep the pressure on the boat crossings."

Another will add, "Run a commiserative story about the England Football Team, and how we are all proud of them. Focus on what they achieved and what they could achieve in the future".

etc etc etc

If that's not "manipulation", I don't know what is."

It is not exactly the instilling fear is it? I don't think you give the general public enough credit.

etc etc etc

It is not exactly the instilling fear is it? I don't think you give the general public enough credit. "

I think you give the general public too much credit. The power of the media (including social media) has been demonstrated time and again.

Terra Firma

etc etc etc

It is not exactly the instilling fear is it? I don't think you give the general public enough credit.

I think you give the general public too much credit. The power of the media (including social media) has been demonstrated time and again. "

I have no doubt about the power and influence. I just don’t buy into the story that we have so many people who can’t see that too.

etc etc etc

I think you give the general public too much credit. The power of the media (including social media) has been demonstrated time and again.

I have no doubt about the power and influence. I just don’t buy into the story that we have so many people who can’t see that too. "

We have a public who watch love island and consistently votes tory against their own interests.

Peterborough

etc etc etc

I have no doubt about the power and influence. I just don’t buy into the story that we have so many people who can’t see that too.

We have a public who watch love island and consistently votes tory against their own interests.

"

I shouldn't laugh but it's true (the voting bit).

Bournemouth

etc etc etc

I have no doubt about the power and influence. I just don’t buy into the story that we have so many people who can’t see that too. "

This is usual rhetoric from the left.

Everyone is gullible except them, it's sad that they think that way but you won't change their minds.

etc etc etc

Everyone is gullible except them, it's sad that they think that way but you won't change their minds. "

Didn’t your delve into the political compass reveal you to be on ‘the left’?

Who are ‘the left’? I’ve met some lefties who are thick as fuck, wanting to overthrow capitalism and turn the U.K into an unconnected, standalone socialist state. I’ve met others who are capable of obscenely high level thought that frankly embarrasses even the smartest onlooker.

Similarly on the right, some are unbelievably clever, even if I don’t agree with them. Others are like Yaxley-Lennon and his thugs.

When you say ‘the left’ or ‘the right’ as if there are an analogous blob, you weaken your entire stance.

etc etc etc

I shouldn't laugh but it's true (the voting bit)."

I have an extreme loathing of reality TV and the damage that I believe it does to society. Bread and circuses, that’s all it is.

golden fields

etc etc etc

The evidence would suggest otherwise. Large portions of the general public are just not politically engaged.

Peterborough

etc etc etc

I have an extreme loathing of reality TV and the damage that I believe it does to society. Bread and circuses, that’s all it is. "

I comprehend. A dumbing down of the masses.

However, my go to reality TV is Gogglebox

etc etc etc

I shouldn't laugh but it's true (the voting bit)."

Oh, I laughed, I do love a stern comment of 'factual facilitation', as I have eventually labelled such statements.

Some folk really ought to learn to discern 'facts' from 'opinions' for example,

"A public who watch xxxxxxxx"

Is written in a factual sense. In reality it is asserting ALL the public watch xxxxxxxx

The correct statement would be to offer it as a personal opinion or, possibly temper the statement with 'A good number of the public.... etc' and maybe end with 'in my opinion', to put a nice cherry on top...(!)

"A good number of people seem to be watching xxxxxxxx I think"

More acceptable, to myself for one.

Peterborough

etc etc etc

Oh, I laughed, I do love a stern comment of 'factual facilitation', as I have eventually labelled such statements.

Some folk really ought to learn to discern 'facts' from 'opinions' for example,

"A public who watch xxxxxxxx"

Is written in a factual sense. In reality it is asserting ALL the public watch xxxxxxxx

The correct statement would be to offer it as a personal opinion or, possibly temper the statement with 'A good number of the public.... etc' and maybe end with 'in my opinion', to put a nice cherry on top...(!)

"A good number of people seem to be watching xxxxxxxx I think"

More acceptable, to myself for one. "

Many people compose posts in short hand, IE omit clarifiers such as many, most, all, some. Expecting readers to self clarify.

For example, I'm not assuming all people who watch love island vote Tory. Not all who vote Tory vote against their own interests. Not all Tory voters watch love island.

My own unclarified post is made on the basis I have known people who vote Tory against their own interests because their parents did .

If you seek clarification, ask questions, it's more polite than telling someone how to compose a thread.

Peterborough

Post, not thread ^^

Bournemouth

etc etc etc

Everyone is gullible except them, it's sad that they think that way but you won't change their minds.

Who are ‘the left’? I’ve met some lefties who are thick as fuck, wanting to overthrow capitalism and turn the U.K into an unconnected, standalone socialist state. I’ve met others who are capable of obscenely high level thought that frankly embarrasses even the smartest onlooker.

Similarly on the right, some are unbelievably clever, even if I don’t agree with them. Others are like Yaxley-Lennon and his thugs.

When you say ‘the left’ or ‘the right’ as if there are an analogous blob, you weaken your entire stance. "

You are correct that my political compass was left of centre, I'd argue it was further towards centre than it was to left.

When I say left, I mean left, not left of centre.

You are also correct that there are plenty of people left and right who are very smart, not you, because you call people 'thick as fuck', which is quite ironic whilst telling me I weaken my stance.

To finish, the only people who I see complaining about the (coercive) power of media are people who are left. People on the right possibly do too but I definitely don't see it on here.

Brighton

etc etc etc

When you say ‘the left’ or ‘the right’ as if there are an analogous blob, you weaken your entire stance.

You are correct that my political compass was left of centre, I'd argue it was further towards centre than it was to left.

You are also correct that there are plenty of people left and right who are very smart, not you, because you call people 'thick as fuck', which is quite ironic whilst telling me I weaken my stance.

To finish, the only people who I see complaining about the (coercive) power of media are people who are left. People on the right possibly do too but I definitely don't see it on here.

"

Jumping in on that last point (is that allowed? Is it a pile on ?)

If news outlets like The Daily Mail, The Express, and The Sun decided to shift to a left wing bias, you would soon start seeing people on the right complaining.

Most of the media is owned by billionaires. Billionaires tend to have more right wing views generally as that will protect their interests better.

Bournemouth

etc etc etc

If news outlets like The Daily Mail, The Express, and The Sun decided to shift to a left wing bias, you would soon start seeing people on the right complaining.

Most of the media is owned by billionaires. Billionaires tend to have more right wing views generally as that will protect their interests better."

We have already discussed media slants. They really weren't mostly right wing (not the top 10 anyway)

Brighton

etc etc etc

Most of the media is owned by billionaires. Billionaires tend to have more right wing views generally as that will protect their interests better.

We have already discussed media slants. They really weren't mostly right wing (not the top 10 anyway)"

Yes fair point. Although the numbers change if you accept the BBC is neutral not left and the Inde is central not left.

Bournemouth

etc etc etc

We have already discussed media slants. They really weren't mostly right wing (not the top 10 anyway)

Yes fair point. Although the numbers change if you accept the BBC is neutral not left and the Inde is central not left."

I think we concluded that the BBC was neutral. If we rank the Independent as Neutral (its not) then we would be split down the middle.

Certainly not MOSTLY right wing, which is the usual calls from people (on the left)

Brighton

etc etc etc

Yes fair point. Although the numbers change if you accept the BBC is neutral not left and the Inde is central not left.

I think we concluded that the BBC was neutral. If we rank the Independent as Neutral (its not) then we would be split down the middle.

Certainly not MOSTLY right wing, which is the usual calls from people (on the left)"

Of course those figures do not account for people with multiple channel consumption

Bournemouth

etc etc etc

Certainly not MOSTLY right wing, which is the usual calls from people (on the left)

Of course those figures do not account for people with multiple channel consumption "

Of course you're gonna try to twist them so they agree with you

That thread was about perceptions, as well as media bias fact checking. go back and have a read.

Brighton

etc etc etc

Of course those figures do not account for people with multiple channel consumption

Of course you're gonna try to twist them so they agree with you

That thread was about perceptions, as well as media bias fact checking. go back and have a read."

I’m not disagreeing with you (apart from The Independent).

By *eroy1000Man 37 weeks ago

milton keynes

etc etc etc

Certainly not MOSTLY right wing, which is the usual calls from people (on the left)"

That was an interesting thread and showed that its not as clear cut as some would like you to believe

Terra Firma

etc etc etc

The evidence would suggest otherwise. Large portions of the general public are just not politically engaged. "

I agree with the lack of political engagement overall, but can you blame people for not being engaged until things effect them directly?

They have outsourced their rights as have we to our MP's, it's a managed service that is under contract for 5 years.

This doesn't mean people are dumb or easily led, rather the opposite! The majority know when it is time for change, they instigate the change on mass and then settle back down and et on with their lives until something happens they are not happy with.

golden fields

etc etc etc

The evidence would suggest otherwise. Large portions of the general public are just not politically engaged.

I agree with the lack of political engagement overall, but can you blame people for not being engaged until things effect them directly?

They have outsourced their rights as have we to our MP's, it's a managed service that is under contract for 5 years.

This doesn't mean people are dumb or easily led, rather the opposite! The majority know when it is time for change, they instigate the change on mass and then settle back down and et on with their lives until something happens they are not happy with."

That's just it, if they're not engaged, they won't know when something happens they're not happy with, and it's much easier to distract and misdirect them. We see it happening constantly, as you mentioned they "instigate change en masse", and vote for more of the same shit.

etc etc etc

This doesn't mean people are dumb or easily led, rather the opposite! The majority know when it is time for change, they instigate the change on mass and then settle back down and et on with their lives until something happens they are not happy with."

I suspect that quite a sizeable chunk of the population couldn’t even tell you the name of their MP.

Terra Firma

etc etc etc

This doesn't mean people are dumb or easily led, rather the opposite! The majority know when it is time for change, they instigate the change on mass and then settle back down and et on with their lives until something happens they are not happy with.

I suspect that quite a sizeable chunk of the population couldn’t even tell you the name of their MP."

Which would indicate what? Content with life, ignorance or other?

By *bernath OP   Couple 37 weeks ago

Gloucestershire

etc etc etc

I suspect that quite a sizeable chunk of the population couldn’t even tell you the name of their MP.

Which would indicate what? Content with life, ignorance or other?"

It’s always interesting to see how a forum post takes a veritable tour through peoples streams of consciousness, from my original post about double standards and terminology, through to the wording of bread and vegetables all the way to to why people don’t know their local MP’s names.

The one thing I enjoy the most when posting here is the wonderful discussions. What magnificent creatures we all are.

etc etc etc

Which would indicate what? Content with life, ignorance or other?"

It would indicate that they’re not politically engaged, as per the discussion.

Terra Firma

etc etc etc

It would indicate that they’re not politically engaged, as per the discussion."

I will ask again, why do they need to be other than when it comes to decisions that will impact them directly?

etc etc etc

I will ask again, why do they need to be other than when it comes to decisions that will impact them directly?"

If they’re not politically engaged how are they aware of decisions that will impact them directly (until it’s too late)?

Terra Firma

etc etc etc

I will ask again, why do they need to be other than when it comes to decisions that will impact them directly?

If they’re not politically engaged how are they aware of decisions that will impact them directly (until it’s too late)?"

The general public tend to know when they don’t like something, they’re more engaged than you think.

We keep going round the houses on this very subject… You and others on here repeat the the same thing over and over again, because you honestly believe that anyone who votes Tory is self harming and therefore not engaged or being fed lies to keep them voting. You also apply the same set of ideas towards anyone who voted for Brexit.

If we look at this from a different angle, it could be said you are the ones who are not engaged, being influenced by radical news stories and people that make you outliers.

I’m not saying you are as I think that is a ridiculous thing to say, but I also think the idea that people who vote Tory are self harming and being duped is equally ridiculous.

Gilfach

"If they’re not politically engaged how are they aware of decisions that will impact them directly (until it’s too late)?"

They don't need to know anything until it comes to election time. Then the various politicians will make sure that everyone is aware of all the flaws in their opponents' arguments well in advance of the vote.

Most people have no need to follow politics at all.

"

I’m not saying you are as I think that is a ridiculous thing to say, but I also think the idea that people who vote Tory are self harming and being duped is equally ridiculous.

"

No it’s absolutely understandable for some people to vote Tory. The very wealthy 1% would be mad to do anything else.

golden fields

"

No it’s absolutely understandable for some people to vote Tory. The very wealthy 1% would be mad to do anything else.

"

Unless of course they had empathy for other humans.

golden fields

etc etc etc

If they’re not politically engaged how are they aware of decisions that will impact them directly (until it’s too late)?

The general public tend to know when they don’t like something, they’re more engaged than you think.

We keep going round the houses on this very subject… You and others on here repeat the the same thing over and over again, because you honestly believe that anyone who votes Tory is self harming and therefore not engaged or being fed lies to keep them voting. You also apply the same set of ideas towards anyone who voted for Brexit.

If we look at this from a different angle, it could be said you are the ones who are not engaged, being influenced by radical news stories and people that make you outliers.

"

What is your view, if you're saying the point of view that people vote Tory/Brexit isn't to do with being disengaged from politics and thus more easily distracted and misdirected. Why is it so?

Terra Firma

etc etc etc

What is your view, if you're saying the point of view that people vote Tory/Brexit isn't to do with being disengaged from politics and thus more easily distracted and misdirected. Why is it so?"

I understand people have different values and ideas that do not align to me. I accept this, I still scratch my head at times, but I respect other views and do not expect my values and ideas to trump everyone who thinks differently.I’m talking politics, not hate or anything else.

golden fields

etc etc etc

What is your view, if you're saying the point of view that people vote Tory/Brexit isn't to do with being disengaged from politics and thus more easily distracted and misdirected. Why is it so?

I understand people have different values and ideas that do not align to me. I accept this, I still scratch my head at times, but I respect other views and do not expect my values and ideas to trump everyone who thinks differently.I’m talking politics, not hate or anything else. "

Okay. But that doesn't answer the question at all. It's not a matter of values, I don't understand where that comes into it.

Brighton

"

"

To be fair I think there is more nuance than that. There is a mix of economic and social policies to consider.

I would also say that maybe the top 10-20% might benefit from the Tories not only the top 1%. Below that, I can only really conclude that social policies trump (and are more tangible) economic policies and factor in aspiration to move up into a higher wealth group? Much of the core voter base for the Tories are retired and (interestingly) those who were children under Thatcher.

Ealing

etc etc etc

Most of the media is owned by billionaires. Billionaires tend to have more right wing views generally as that will protect their interests better."

. It is difficult to see what possible relevance someone's financial status has to what is published .

As far as I am aware the proprietors do not write the articles themselves, journalists do.

Newspapers that I read report facts and columnists will intrepet the data . Arguments for and against most various points are usually presented aa well.

By * pervert in a PeartreeMan 37 weeks ago

city of Lodon

GroundNews is a good place to find out if the news source is left wing, centre or right wing.

Substack also lets you get news directly from a Journalist, so you don't have to rely on the political views of the media owners of the editor.

The journalist don't have to churn out content and can spend time researching what they are writing about.

Terra Firma

etc etc etc

I understand people have different values and ideas that do not align to me. I accept this, I still scratch my head at times, but I respect other views and do not expect my values and ideas to trump everyone who thinks differently.I’m talking politics, not hate or anything else.

Okay. But that doesn't answer the question at all. It's not a matter of values, I don't understand where that comes into it."

It is about values, I don’t expect the vast majority of people to worry about every political decision, that is not disengaged.

They engage when an election comes along or a policy impacts them.

I can accept that, and I don’t see it as an easily manipulated public

By *og-ManMan 37 weeks ago

somewhere

We have a great word in Ireland to describe all the illegal Irish in America

We call them " undocumented "

But if any foreigners come here without the correct paperwork we call them illegal immigrants

Hypocrisy at its finest

Brighton

etc etc etc

Most of the media is owned by billionaires. Billionaires tend to have more right wing views generally as that will protect their interests better.. It is difficult to see what possible relevance someone's financial status has to what is published .

As far as I am aware the proprietors do not write the articles themselves, journalists do.

Newspapers that I read report facts and columnists will intrepet the data . Arguments for and against most various points are usually presented aa well. "

Of course Pat. That is precisely how it works. The moon is also made of cheese

golden fields

etc etc etc

Okay. But that doesn't answer the question at all. It's not a matter of values, I don't understand where that comes into it.

It is about values, I don’t expect the vast majority of people to worry about every political decision, that is not disengaged.

I can accept that, and I don’t see it as an easily manipulated public "

Are you suggesting that it's values like. Disaster capitalism, crushing the working class with austerity, tax avoidance for the ultra wealthy?

I'm struggling to understand what you're saying.

Terra Firma

etc etc etc

Are you suggesting that it's values like. Disaster capitalism, crushing the working class with austerity, tax avoidance for the ultra wealthy?

I'm struggling to understand what you're saying."

Or refusing to understand?

golden fields

etc etc etc

Or refusing to understand?"

Genuinely don't understand the point.

It sounds like you're suggesting people voluntarily, knowingly vote for these kind of things. As opposed to being easily manipulated by being disengaged from the whole process.

Terra Firma

etc etc etc

It sounds like you're suggesting people voluntarily, knowingly vote for these kind of things. As opposed to being easily manipulated by being disengaged from the whole process."

They are disengaged for long periods of time and engage in politics when something impacts them directly.

Manipulated? I don’t think so, you believe they are because the party you despise and for the life of you can’t understand why someone would vote for, attracted the majority vote over the last 13 years.

Believe it or not, I watch from the side lines and see this disbelief, I also see a lot of theories why this must be happening from those who wouldn’t vote Tory, it always boils down to the electorate being manipulated or stupid.

If labour win the next GE, is that everyone waking up and the manipulators losing control?

golden fields

etc etc etc

It sounds like you're suggesting people voluntarily, knowingly vote for these kind of things. As opposed to being easily manipulated by being disengaged from the whole process.

They are disengaged for long periods of time and engage in politics when something impacts them directly.

Manipulated? I don’t think so, you believe they are because the party you despise and for the life of you can’t understand why someone would vote for, attracted the majority vote over the last 13 years.

Believe it or not, I watch from the side lines and see this disbelief, I also see a lot of theories why this must be happening from those who wouldn’t vote Tory, it always boils down to the electorate being manipulated or stupid.

If labour win the next GE, is that everyone waking up and the manipulators losing control?

"

This is all well and good. But I am interested in what your alternative theory is for people voting Tory over and over.

If Labour win, it's because they out Toried the Tories and those with the money who the system works for, might decide that Labour will serve their purposes better. Can't see it happening to be honest.

» Add a new message to this topic