FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > Politics > Anti Breaking Cameras.

Anti Breaking Cameras.

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *enSisko OP   Man 33 weeks ago

Cestus 3

Just read a story on TopGear website concerning the title of this post.

A little snippet.

"New anti-braking speed detection cameras - which record if drivers brake harshly right before the camera or accelerate quickly afterwards - have been successfully trialled in Spain, with some warning these devices could soon head to the UK".

Would you support this?

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By (user no longer on site) 33 weeks ago

"Just read a story on TopGear website concerning the title of this post.

A little snippet.

"New anti-braking speed detection cameras - which record if drivers brake harshly right before the camera or accelerate quickly afterwards - have been successfully trialled in Spain, with some warning these devices could soon head to the UK".

Would you support this?"

Would I support increased means of improving road safety?

Yes.

By *astandFeistyCouple 33 weeks ago

Bournemouth

Nope. Speed cameras are nothing but cash cows.

If they really want to make the roads safe in terms of speed, they need to replace existing cameras with average speed cameras.

By *rDiscretionXXXMan 33 weeks ago

Gilfach

A little snippet.

Would you support this?"

This would never work. Any driver being caught by such a camera could simply say that he saw a small animal run into the road, and he braked heavily to avoid hitting it. Even if there were high-quality CCTV footage which showed that there was no such animal, the driver could just say 'well I can see that now, by at the time I was sure I saw something'.

If they really want people to slow down in a given area, they need to put average speed cameras in.

By *oubleswing2019Man 33 weeks ago

Colchester

A little snippet.

Would you support this?"

Yes.

However it doesn't stop the driver from performing those actions in the first place.

I'd prefer zoned roads which send a signal to a vehicle and prevent it doing it in the first place.

I think cars of the future will be much more intelligent and self-aware, more so than their human drivers, and by that time the mechanisitic need to drive will be long gone.

Sure, there will still be race tracks for the petrolheads to bomb around if they want, but for public roads it'll all be automated vehicles and integrated systems.

A little snippet.

Would you support this?

This would never work. Any driver being caught by such a camera could simply say that he saw a small animal run into the road, and he braked heavily to avoid hitting it. Even if there were high-quality CCTV footage which showed that there was no such animal, the driver could just say 'well I can see that now, by at the time I was sure I saw something'.

If they really want people to slow down in a given area, they need to put average speed cameras in."

But.........

Average speed camera systems don't generate anything like the 'flash bang... we got ya' fixed cash gener...... oops, 'road safety cameras'.

By *ike Hunt888Man 33 weeks ago

Lancashire.

Or maybe just make it that every vehicle , has to have a person with a red flag walk in front of it , don't think that's been tried before .

"Or maybe just make it that every vehicle , has to have a person with a red flag walk in front of it , don't think that's been tried before ."

What I took from that post is " Nanny state won't allow me to drive at the speed I want"

By *ike Hunt888Man 33 weeks ago

Lancashire.

Not at all could also provide gainful employment for the recently arrived doctors , engineers , architect's etc from across the channel .

By *enSisko OP   Man 33 weeks ago

Cestus 3

The article I read, I search anti break cameras and the first hit for me was top gear but there are other articles as well, I don't really want to post a link as there were advertisements.

I say this as the article states that there has been successful trials in Spain.

By *ellhungvweMan 33 weeks ago

Cheltenham

To be honest I don’t care what type of cameras they use - if I am on a road where I am getting near the limit then I almost always drive with cruise control on so that I can _actively_ focus on the road and not worry that my speed is not too high. Never had a ticket in almost 30 years of driving so it clearly works.

There is a wider philosophical question as to whether we want to live in a society that is being watched so much but that is for a different thread.

By *ty31Man 33 weeks ago

NW London

"Nope. Speed cameras are nothing but cash cows.

If they really want to make the roads safe in terms of speed, they need to replace existing cameras with average speed cameras. "

Or forget about Nanny State revenue raising technology and get a police patrols.

Cameras only monitor speed, they don't monitor bad or dangerous driving.

By *ove2pleaseseukMan 32 weeks ago

Hastings

"To be honest I don’t care what type of cameras they use - if I am on a road where I am getting near the limit then I almost always drive with cruise control on so that I can _actively_ focus on the road and not worry that my speed is not too high. Never had a ticket in almost 30 years of driving so it clearly works.

There is a wider philosophical question as to whether we want to live in a society that is being watched so much but that is for a different thread."

Not all old vehicles have this fitted. I find in its difficult to set up depending on the vehicles I'm driving and how often the limit,s change

By *oubleswing2019Man 32 weeks ago

Colchester

To be fair, if the government wanted to shut down the whole "Cameras are being used to generate revenue" argument, there's an easy way around that.

Ditch the fine. Double the points endorsement.

The only problem is, they'd need to raise taxes to then pay for the cameras.

One assumes the fines raised by cameras goes back in to the local policing authority, so they can maintain and commission new cameras ?

By *rDiscretionXXXMan 32 weeks ago

Gilfach

"One assumes the fines raised by cameras goes back in to the local policing authority, so they can maintain and commission new cameras ?"

Most cameras belong to the local council, and they get the money from the fines. There are some cameras that are put in place by the police, and those fines go straight to the government. If the camera is yellow, the money goes to your local council.

By *oubleswing2019Man 32 weeks ago

Colchester

"

Most cameras belong to the local council, and they get the money from the fines. There are some cameras that are put in place by the police, and those fines go straight to the government. If the camera is yellow, the money goes to your local council."

Ah, thank you.

So I suppose with the cuts to local councils, it's in their interest to raise enforcement and thus claw back missing funds another way. All legal to do so.

By *ophieslutTV/TS 32 weeks ago

Central

I'd prefer the majority of bad driving to be given attention instead.

By *oolyCoolyCplCouple 32 weeks ago

Newcastle under Lyme

Good luck arguing it in a court of law when it gets contested.

By *ust RachelTV/TS 32 weeks ago

Eastbourne

A little snippet.

Would you support this?"

There was a plan to fit GPS systems to cars, then it records when you speed. At an MOT or service, the information is downloaded, then you wait for your points.

The articles sort of hinted that the systems are already in the cars, it was just a matter of if they wanted to go down that route.

By *orleymanMan 32 weeks ago

Leeds

A little snippet.

Would you support this?

Yes."

Data relating to road safety please

By *ustintime69Man 32 weeks ago

Bristol

So I cycle every day before work in a vain attempt to stay trim and most of the roads I travel on are 20 or at most 30 Mph and because I am usually riding from 7:15 to 8:15 I get a fair bit of rush hour traffic. This is mostly large SUVs, some vans and quite a few Porsches and Teslas. Now maybe I am old fashioned but when I see an SUV on the school run being driven anywhere between 40 and 60 on a 20 Mph road that cuts through the middle of a public open space I can’t help thinking that there are some thoughtless selfish cunts in the world

By (user no longer on site) 32 weeks ago

A little snippet.

Would you support this?

Yes.

"

https://www.rospa.com/media/documents/road-safety/speed-cameras-factsheet.pdf

By *orleymanMan 32 weeks ago

Leeds

A little snippet.

Would you support this?

Yes.

https://www.rospa.com/media/documents/road-safety/speed-cameras-factsheet.pdf"

.doesnt prove your claim. You'd need the data from Spain.

» Add a new message to this topic