FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > Politics > Sleeping Rough in Tents s a Lifestyle Choice

Sleeping Rough in Tents s a Lifestyle Choice

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *ssex_tom OP   Man 29 weeks ago

Chelmsford

According to Suella Braverman and talk of fining charities thhat give camping equipment to the homeless. What's going on here guys? It's all over the news

Reply privately (closed, thread got too big)

By *immyinreadingMan 29 weeks ago

henley on thames

"According to Suella Braverman and talk of fining charities thhat give camping equipment to the homeless. What's going on here guys? It's all over the news"

What’s going on?

Half a story, with half the facts, for the purposes of stirring … as usual

By (user no longer on site) 29 weeks ago

"According to Suella Braverman and talk of fining charities thhat give camping equipment to the homeless. What's going on here guys? It's all over the news

What’s going on?

Half a story, with half the facts, for the purposes of stirring … as usual "

By *heVonMatterhornsCouple 29 weeks ago

Lincoln

I'm just amazed that Tom still hasn't found the Politics forum room

LvM

By *ife NinjaMan 29 weeks ago

Dunfermline

Is the story based on something written in the Daily Mail, the Express or the Telegraph? If it is, I generally ignore it for the racist, fascist, bear bating shite it undoubtedly is, and find a proper source of information.

henley on thames

"I'm just amazed that Tom still hasn't found the Politics forum room

LvM"

Would be a lot more appropriate.

By *ophieslutTV/TS 29 weeks ago

Central

"According to Suella Braverman and talk of fining charities thhat give camping equipment to the homeless. What's going on here guys? It's all over the news

What’s going on?

Half a story, with half the facts, for the purposes of stirring … as usual "

Give the meaningful details, rather than a slur, if it's important to you. Please keep the forum positive for everyone.

By *red333Man 29 weeks ago

Dorchester

"According to Suella Braverman and talk of fining charities thhat give camping equipment to the homeless. What's going on here guys? It's all over the news"
I expect for a few this is a bonifide option but for the majority certainly in the winter months not the ideal

"Is the story based on something written in the Daily Mail, the Express or the Telegraph? If it is, I generally ignore it for the racist, fascist, bear bating shite it undoubtedly is, and find a proper source of information. "

Well done, you Social Credit score has had 100 points added. Maintain the Echo Chamber comrade for more bonus points.

By *ohnnyTwoNotesMan 29 weeks ago

golden fields

Just standard government demonising and shaming the least well off in society.

By *AFKA HovisMan 29 weeks ago

Sindon Swingdon Swindon

Clearly the only thing that is stopping these folk from pulling themselves up by the bootstrap, and putting a down payment on a house, is that charities make it too darn attractive to stay on the streets.

That is why we still have homeless

And why the Tories haven't ended the blight of rough sleeping during their time in power.

By *red333Man 29 weeks ago

Dorchester

I don't know they are making a big effort to get them off the streets in Devon, in council buildings and struggling hotels

By *ife NinjaMan 29 weeks ago

Dunfermline

"Is the story based on something written in the Daily Mail, the Express or the Telegraph? If it is, I generally ignore it for the racist, fascist, bear bating shite it undoubtedly is, and find a proper source of information.

Well done, you Social Credit score has had 100 points added. Maintain the Echo Chamber comrade for more bonus points."

Credit gratefully received. Viva de revolution

By *affron40Woman 29 weeks ago

manchester

To be fair on this one I’ve read the article and there are no redeeming qualities to the rest of it.

It’s a hideous idea. Her ideology makes me sick.

"To be fair on this one I’ve read the article and there are no redeeming qualities to the rest of it.

It’s a hideous idea. Her ideology makes me sick."

She is a foul specimen of a human being. Toxic, divisive, and just plain nasty.

henley on thames

So what did she actually say ….

She is trying to clamp down on people living on the streets in tents, so that it doesn’t end up like San Francisco.

She has said there are other indoor options available, but some people don’t want to use those options, hence the comment that they are living in the tents by choice.

henley on thames

"To be fair on this one I’ve read the article and there are no redeeming qualities to the rest of it.

It’s a hideous idea. Her ideology makes me sick."

Getting people off the streets is a hideous idea?

henley on thames

"

She is actually saying she is trying to get them off the streets . I can’t see how that counts as demonising.

By *ealMissShadyWoman 29 weeks ago

St Albans/ Welsh Borders

She is actually saying she is trying to get them off the streets . I can’t see how that counts as demonising. "

How does she propose to do that?

By *affron40Woman 29 weeks ago

manchester

It’s a hideous idea. Her ideology makes me sick.

Getting people off the streets is a hideous idea? "

Banning tents in urban areas and fining charities for providing tents is hideous. She’s blaming immigrants that they have failed to protect for an increase in people living in the streets so now she wants to brush them out of sight instead of dealing with the issue they created.

By *avandPennyCouple 29 weeks ago

Wigan

The charity can give them to me and I'll give them to the homeless, law bypassed, job done.

By *bi HaiveMan 29 weeks ago
Forum Mod

Cheeseville, Somerset

She is actually saying she is trying to get them off the streets . I can’t see how that counts as demonising. "

A quote from Braverman.

"The British people are compassionate. We will always support those who are genuinely homeless. But we cannot allow our streets to be taken over by rows of tents occupied by people, many of them from abroad, living on the streets as a lifestyle choice."

The people are very compassionate in general. The councils would love to be on a position to offer more support - they just don't have the funds, the facilities, the staff or the means to do so. The fact that many are 'from abroad' is more a reflection on the shit show of an immigration policy and process that isn't fit for purpose, than any genuine desire by people from abroad to live in a tent on the streets in the UK.

Charities should be supported and encouraged, not demonised and fined for offering support and assistance. In fact they shouldn't be needed at all. There is no end of empty property in the UK that could be turned into affordable housing if councils were allowed to take it over. It would be self funding, not for profit and supply much needed rooves per people's heads.

But ever since right to buy came in and the money wasn't reinvested in new housing stock there's been a shortage. The ever rising rents in the private sector have prevented people from finding accomodate outside of social/ councils housing where the average wait for a 1 bed flat is 1-2 years. The small print in the law means that even though councils have an obligation to 'help' homeless people find suitable accommodation within 56 days, they don't have to provide it. That 'help' in the main is informing them that they need to look in the private sector.

Which is kind of hard when you have no address, often no job and no income bar benefits......

This isn't a homeless or charity issue. It's a government policy issue.

Is she your mum..?

"So what did she actually say ….

She is trying to clamp down on people living on the streets in tents, so that it doesn’t end up like San Francisco.

She has said there are other indoor options available, but some people don’t want to use those options, hence the comment that they are living in the tents by choice.

"

Quite, I was quite shocked at what I saw in both San Francisco and New York. San Francisco particularly just stank of urine, endless rows of homeless people and drug addicts.

Just shows though what the caring Left can deliver when they are put in charge of big cities. See also London, Birmingham etc.

By *icecouple561Couple 29 weeks ago
Forum Mod

East Sussex

When I first went to Chennai/Madras in the late 70s I was shocked to see families living on the street under rudimentary shelters. I remember thinking how lucky I was to live in a country where that could never happen.

golden fields

Quite, I was quite shocked at what I saw in both San Francisco and New York. San Francisco particularly just stank of urine, endless rows of homeless people and drug addicts.

Just shows though what the caring Left can deliver when they are put in charge of big cities. See also London, Birmingham etc."

*Checks notes* we've had 13 years of Tory rule. Still, let's blame someone else.

By *AFKA HovisMan 29 weeks ago

Sindon Swingdon Swindon

Just shows though what the caring Left can deliver when they are put in charge of big cities. See also London, Birmingham etc."

irrc most US cities have lower rates of homeless than UK cities. Tho that may be a definition thing as we may include couch surfers.

There may also be a difference in visibility. I guess the question here is if we want to reduce homeless. Or just reminders of it.

By *amish SMan 29 weeks ago

Eastleigh

Sounds like she does not remember the high ranking RAF officer who lived on the streets of Westminster, many MPs offered to help him.

Does she have a problem with homelessness itself or the optics of tents on the street?

Forum Mod

East Sussex

"Does she have a problem with homelessness itself or the optics of tents on the street?"

I think part of her reasoning is of you can't see it, it doesn't exist

A bit like when children cover their eyes they think you can't see them

golden fields

"Does she have a problem with homelessness itself or the optics of tents on the street?"

I don't think she cares about any of those things. It's rhetoric to energise the supporters.

henley on thames

She is actually saying she is trying to get them off the streets . I can’t see how that counts as demonising.

How does she propose to do that?"

She says there are empty beds in existing facilities

henley on thames

Is she your mum..?"

No. Are we in a school yard? Grow up

By *oubleswing2019Man 29 weeks ago

Colchester

"

I don't think she cares about any of those things. It's rhetoric to energise the supporters."

Agreed. It's soundbites for certain folks to rile them up, get them frothing over their cornflakes, vent their rage at "those other people", and vote for more draconian measures.

henley on thames

Both.

Have you been to San Francisco lately?

By *bi HaiveMan 29 weeks ago
Forum Mod

Cheeseville, Somerset

She says there are empty beds in existing facilities "

And that just goes to show the utter bullshit she's spouting. There aren't. She really has no clue. There aren't even adequate facilities, let alone empty beds in them.

By *ools and the brainCouple 29 weeks ago

couple, us we him her.

It's probably down to some rich somebody who has brought a flat in London and doesn't like the look of tented villages bringing the area "down" and complained to her over cocktails at the country club.

Just send all the homeless to Rwanda I'm sure they won't mind

Chelmsford

Surely if they have a tent then they are not homeless

couple, us we him her.

"Surely if they have a tent then they are not homeless "

Tom,no

Forum Mod

East Sussex

HRH Prince William has promised to end homelessness hasn't he? Maybe this is how he'll do it. Rebrand it as a lifestyle choice for pesky furriners

Chelmsford

"Surely if they have a tent then they are not homeless

Tom,no "

A tent is a home surely ?

couple, us we him her.

"Surely if they have a tent then they are not homeless

Tom,no

A tent is a home surely ?"

Live in one for a month in the winter come back and let me know if you think it's a home.

Admittedly it's preferable to a cardboard box but it's not a home.

We have a tent that cost us 2 grand but two weeks is the absolute most we'd be willing to stay in it.

St Albans/ Welsh Borders

She says there are empty beds in existing facilities "

What facilities? Where? If there were facilities then they would of already been allocated no?

St Albans/ Welsh Borders

She says there are empty beds in existing facilities

And that just goes to show the utter bullshit she's spouting. There aren't. She really has no clue. There aren't even adequate facilities, let alone empty beds in them. "

Exactly, the woman is talking bull. And even if there were these places would need funding and where is she going to pull that from? Rishi and his gazillion billions?? I thought not

By *otMe66Man 29 weeks ago

Terra Firma

We either have accommodation to house people or we don’t, either way we should not be allowing people to build tent communities, running water, sanitation and heat are a basic human right.

If we can’t provide the basics, what is the answer?

Chelmsford

"We either have accommodation to house people or we don’t, either way we should not be allowing people to build tent communities, running water, sanitation and heat are a basic human right.

If we can’t provide the basics, what is the answer?"

What is the answer ?

By *ophieslutTV/TS 29 weeks ago

Central

"

I don't think she cares about any of those things. It's rhetoric to energise the supporters.

Agreed. It's soundbites for certain folks to rile them up, get them frothing over their cornflakes, vent their rage at "those other people", and vote for more draconian measures."

And not to mention, those of the tiny elite amongst them, who will vote for their next party leader

It's tragic that human lives count for nothing to her.. Unless it's her own.

"We either have accommodation to house people or we don’t, either way we should not be allowing people to build tent communities, running water, sanitation and heat are a basic human right.

What is the answer ?"

We have alot of people here living in caravans. They are smart they bank thier money and live off a system. Sleep in a van or rv. Go to 24 hour gyms pay 25 dollars a month to use thier facilities. Shit and shower anytime during the day. Even if you travel. It's brilliant in a way.

By *ohnnyTwoNotesMan 28 weeks ago

golden fields

What is the answer ?"

Keep focusing the electorate's ire on foreigners, homeless people, and especially homeless foreign people. And vote Tory.

By *immyinreadingMan 28 weeks ago

henley on thames

"

Agreed. It's soundbites for certain folks to rile them up, get them frothing over their cornflakes, vent their rage at "those other people", and vote for more draconian measures.

And not to mention, those of the tiny elite amongst them, who will vote for their next party leader

It's tragic that human lives count for nothing to her.. Unless it's her own. "

Exact opposite. She is clearly trying to save lives by getting people off the streets

golden fields

"

Exact opposite. She is clearly trying to save lives by getting people off the streets "

How do you reach this conclusion?

By *exy_HornyCouple 28 weeks ago

Leigh

So why do people insist on attacking Suella when most of what she says is correct?

By *astandFeistyCouple 28 weeks ago

Bournemouth

"So why do people insist on attacking Suella when most of what she says is correct?"

It's fashionable to hate Tories.

By *allySlinkyWoman 28 weeks ago

Leeds

"So why do people insist on attacking Suella when most of what she says is correct?"

What bit don't you agree with ?

By *he Man Who Loves CurvesMan 28 weeks ago

LONDON

What is the answer ? We have alot of people here living in caravans. They are smart they bank thier money and live off a system. Sleep in a van or rv. Go to 24 hour gyms pay 25 dollars a month to use thier facilities. Shit and shower anytime during the day. Even if you travel. It's brilliant in a way. "

No disrespect to you but that is America-you cannot & the authorities will not let you do that here….

LONDON

"

Exact opposite. She is clearly trying to save lives by getting people off the streets "

Like all of the legal channels she closed that led to people risking their lives crossing the channel in boats AND having the Temerity to capitalise on it by calling it an invasion for all those red meat gorging Daily Hate & ToryGraph readers????

By *melie LALWoman 28 weeks ago

Peterborough

"So why do people insist on attacking Suella when most of what she says is correct?

It's fashionable to hate Tories. "

Even by Tory supporters?

By *ools and the brainCouple 28 weeks ago

couple, us we him her.

"So why do people insist on attacking Suella when most of what she says is correct?

Even by Tory supporters? "

We have a friend,we have known him for over 30 year's he's been a die hard Tory and will defend their behaviour and policy regardless the arguments we have had to the point we agreed never to discuss politics his views are very right off centre

Well last night even he admitted that he's very unlikely to vote Tory at the next election, genuinely I nearly fell off my chair.

So if he's changed his mind there must be many more who feel the same.

Bournemouth

Even by Tory supporters? "

What is a Tory supporter?

Check your social media and you'll see that it's fashionable to hate Tories.

By *enSiskoMan 28 weeks ago

Cestus 3

People are living in tents because there are few homes or flats or HMO's or any other kind of Shelther due to there being a housing crisis.

Funding for homelessness has been cut, and if there wasn't charities the situation was be very visible and dire.

I carry a tent in my car just in case, and I will continue to give to those in need, f3ck her and her sound bites.

golden fields

Because she says a lot of hateful things designed to distract people, and to redirect ire to the most vulnerable people in society.

By *otMe66Man 28 weeks ago

Terra Firma

What is the answer ?

Keep focusing the electorate's ire on foreigners, homeless people, and especially homeless foreign people. And vote Tory. "

What are your thoughts on people living in tents and communities springing up built out of tents?

golden fields

What is the answer ?

Keep focusing the electorate's ire on foreigners, homeless people, and especially homeless foreign people. And vote Tory.

What are your thoughts on people living in tents and communities springing up built out of tents?"

I think we should blame them for causing lots of problems in society, especially if some of them are foreigners. Meanwhile we should also not be critical of the government in any way shape or form and accept unquestionably their integrity.

Peterborough

Even by Tory supporters?

We have a friend,we have known him for over 30 year's he's been a die hard Tory and will defend their behaviour and policy regardless the arguments we have had to the point we agreed never to discuss politics his views are very right off centre

Well last night even he admitted that he's very unlikely to vote Tory at the next election, genuinely I nearly fell off my chair.

So if he's changed his mind there must be many more who feel the same.

"

There's hope for the country yet

Terra Firma

What is the answer ?

What are your thoughts on people living in tents and communities springing up built out of tents?

I think we should blame them for causing lots of problems in society, especially if some of them are foreigners. Meanwhile we should also not be critical of the government in any way shape or form and accept unquestionably their integrity. "

You don't want to share your own thoughts then?

Peterborough

Even by Tory supporters?

Check your social media and you'll see that it's fashionable to hate Tories. "

What's social media?

I occasionally visit Facebook.

Peterborough

"People are living in tents because there are few homes or flats or HMO's or any other kind of Shelther due to there being a housing crisis.

Funding for homelessness has been cut, and if there wasn't charities the situation was be very visible and dire.

I carry a tent in my car just in case, and I will continue to give to those in need, f3ck her and her sound bites.

"

By *ools and the brainCouple 28 weeks ago

couple, us we him her.

Guess that the homeless are an easy target,no voice as such and people generally stick their heads in the sand and pretend it's not a problem.

My job used to involve me working in quite a few places where people who have been homeless are given accommodation,I'm not going to make a sweeping generalisation but from the people I saw and delt with many of them suffer from pretty severe mental health issues and illnesses we are seeing the failure of the care in the community program that has had its funding slashed so much it's ridiculous.

Funny how these councils have enough money to refurbish their council offices and spend ridiculous amounts on stuff like plant's and so on..

Yet theirs no money for supporting people living on the streets other than employing people to shoo them away.

Peterborough

What is the answer ?

I think we should blame them for causing lots of problems in society, especially if some of them are foreigners. Meanwhile we should also not be critical of the government in any way shape or form and accept unquestionably their integrity. "

Is it your turn to do a Pat?

Integrity and Tory Ministers..... Ermmmm that's funnier than Micky Flanagan's at at (out out)

Peterborough

"Guess that the homeless are an easy target,no voice as such and people generally stick their heads in the sand and pretend it's not a problem.

My job used to involve me working in quite a few places where people who have been homeless are given accommodation,I'm not going to make a sweeping generalisation but from the people I saw and delt with many of them suffer from pretty severe mental health issues and illnesses we are seeing the failure of the care in the community program that has had its funding slashed so much it's ridiculous.

Funny how these councils have enough money to refurbish their council offices and spend ridiculous amounts on stuff like plant's and so on..

Yet theirs no money for supporting people living on the streets other than employing people to shoo them away."

I'm guessing that's because they have separate pots for maintenance/employment and so on. That's what happens in healthcare.

Terra Firma

"People are living in tents because there are few homes or flats or HMO's or any other kind of Shelther due to there being a housing crisis.

"

What did she actually say that you don't agree with?

By *AFKA HovisMan 28 weeks ago

Sindon Swingdon Swindon

which bits are right ?

There are probably a few bits that can be taken in isolation and argued.

There are "options" for the homeless (ironically with a large part via charities) however I don not believe that these options can support every homelessness person. Indeed, I'd be cynical they have spare capacity today. After all, why earmark 1bn towards this if the system works today.

Many are from abroad. Many is a loose term. Many of the ppl in the UK are from abroad, so are we talking a disproportionate amount? If it is, is it really because of choice or because they have smaller support networks or maybe they face greater issues accessing the "options"

I'd like to agree with her that the British are compassionate. However if you see a tent in a street and consider it a nuisance and your first reaction is the person is choosing to live that way, then we have different views on what compassionate looks like.

Making having a tent in a shop door illegal won't solve homelessness. Fining the charity that provides it won't solve homelessnes. Constructive government policy and spending will solve homelessnes. They should be focussing on that.

Indeed, they may be. In which case it's doubley insulting to their view of the electorate they led with the tents angle. Indeed if they are doing a lot, why not see how that plays through and then determine if there are people making lifestyle choices.

Bournemouth

Even by Tory supporters?

What's social media?

I occasionally visit Facebook."

It's crazy so many people have turned to this same tactic. It's almost as if you have no thoughts of your own so just start copying each other

golden fields

What is the answer ?

I think we should blame them for causing lots of problems in society, especially if some of them are foreigners. Meanwhile we should also not be critical of the government in any way shape or form and accept unquestionably their integrity.

You don't want to share your own thoughts then?"

These are. You guys have won me over.

By *0shadesOfFilthMan 28 weeks ago

nearby

The social housing waiting list has grown from 1.1 million in 2010 to 1.6 million in 2023

That excludes the 137,000 the tories removed from those local authority waiting lists in 2013 with sneaky use of the localism act.

3 million recorded foodbank meals in 2022; 51,000 in 2010

Obviously these are lifestyle choices.

Terra Firma

[Removed by poster at 05/11/23 10:41:11]

Terra Firma

"The social housing waiting list has grown from 1.1 million in 2010 to 1.6 million in 2023

That excludes the 137,000 the tories removed from those local authority waiting lists in 2013 with sneaky use of the localism act.

Obviously these are lifestyle choices. "

Maybe you can answer this question..

nearby

"The social housing waiting list has grown from 1.1 million in 2010 to 1.6 million in 2023

What did she actually say that you don't agree with?"

The home secretary wrote: “We cannot allow our streets to be taken over by rows of tents occupied by people, many of them from abroad, living on the streets as a lifestyle choice.”

She seems cool with it in Gaza death camps though

henley on thames

"

Exact opposite. She is clearly trying to save lives by getting people off the streets

How do you reach this conclusion?"

By reading what she has actually said.

Clearly you want to think otherwise. I approach these things with an open mind instead of skewing what public figures have actually said

Peterborough

Even by Tory supporters?

What's social media?

It's crazy so many people have turned to this same tactic. It's almost as if you have no thoughts of your own so just start copying each other "

Same tactic? What tactic, visiting social media only occasionally that they don't know what the current trends are, and have no interest in the current trends, let alone copy them?

You have a context in mind but you're not stipulating it. Unless you're just continuing from your previous post and mine was just in the way

Sindon Swingdon Swindon

"

Clearly you want to think otherwise. I approach these things with an open mind instead of skewing what public figures have actually said "

how does criminilasing tents get people off the street ?

It sounds like people think that,in order of most shit to least, we have: 1) living in a cardboard box on the streets, 2) the support provided by government, 3) living in a tent in a shop door.

It's one helluva self burn.

Bournemouth

Even by Tory supporters?

What's social media?

It's crazy so many people have turned to this same tactic. It's almost as if you have no thoughts of your own so just start copying each other

Same tactic? What tactic, visiting social media only occasionally that they don't know what the current trends are, and have no interest in the current trends, let alone copy them?

You have a context in mind but you're not stipulating it. Unless you're just continuing from your previous post and mine was just in the way "

Hilarious. I'll leave you to copy others postings styles without adding anything of your own thoughts on matters.

henley on thames

"

Clearly you want to think otherwise. I approach these things with an open mind instead of skewing what public figures have actually said how does criminilasing tents get people off the street ?

It sounds like people think that,in order of most shit to least, we have: 1) living in a cardboard box on the streets, 2) the support provided by government, 3) living in a tent in a shop door.

It's one helluva self burn. "

She has criminalised tents, has she? How many people have been imprisoned? How long are the sentences? Please forward details

henley on thames

Clearly it would be better if people weren’t living on the streets, tents or otherwise. I’m amazed to see who many posters who think otherwise

By *ssex_tom OP   Man 28 weeks ago

Chelmsford

Lots of places forbid overnight camping though. Tom once owned a premises where every day there was vomit and piss and fag buts in the shop doorway. No employee should be expected to have to clean that up. Ban the buggers

Sindon Swingdon Swindon

"

Clearly you want to think otherwise. I approach these things with an open mind instead of skewing what public figures have actually said how does criminilasing tents get people off the street ?

She has criminalised tents, has she? How many people have been imprisoned? How long are the sentences? Please forward details "

is that the policy she is putting forward. Hence this news story ? It's not law, and I'm not sure why you think I have said it is.

Terra Firma

The home secretary wrote: “We cannot allow our streets to be taken over by rows of tents occupied by people, many of them from abroad, living on the streets as a lifestyle choice.”

She seems cool with it in Gaza death camps though "

you are taking one slice of the statement and doing so it is completely out of context.

A shortened version.. "Suella Braverman's plan would introduce new penalties in England and Wales for homeless people who authorities believe have rejected offers of help".

In other words those people who have decided to live in a tent on the streets.

What is wrong with that, are you happy that we have streets and areas of cities turn into no go areas, poor living conditions and everything we can see in places San Francisco and Chicago?

What is wrong with getting people into better accommodation when it is offered?

henley on thames

"

She has criminalised tents, has she? How many people have been imprisoned? How long are the sentences? Please forward details is that the policy she is putting forward. Hence this news story ? It's not law, and I'm not sure why you think I have said it is. "

I thought so because you very clearly said she was criminalising tents. I was not aware that she was making it a criminal offence. Did you make that up to make her sound worse?

Sindon Swingdon Swindon

"

She has criminalised tents, has she? How many people have been imprisoned? How long are the sentences? Please forward details is that the policy she is putting forward. Hence this news story ? It's not law, and I'm not sure why you think I have said it is.

I thought so because you very clearly said she was criminalising tents. I was not aware that she was making it a criminal offence. Did you make that up to make her sound worse? "

I'm assuming the readers of this thread are aware with the gist of the proposals.

"The paper reported that sources had said the plans being considered were for two clauses to be inserted in the new criminal justice bill, which applies to England and Wales. This would target tents that cause a nuisance - such as by obstructing shop doorways.

According to the report, the proposals include creating a civil offence whereby charities could be fined for handing out tents if they were deemed to have caused a nuisance."

Maybe there is nuance I have missed and that's what you are picking at. Please clarify if that is the case.

I'd hope it was clear I wasn't implying all tents are to be criminalised.

Sindon Swingdon Swindon

you are taking one slice of the statement and doing so it is completely out of context.

A shortened version.. "Suella Braverman's plan would introduce new penalties in England and Wales for homeless people who authorities believe have rejected offers of help".

What is wrong with that, are you happy that we have streets and areas of cities turn into no go areas, poor living conditions and everything we can see in places San Francisco and Chicago?

What is wrong with getting people into better accommodation when it is offered? "

how many of these people are there? And do we really know why they reject help.

What penalties can you give them ?

Terra Firma

What is wrong with getting people into better accommodation when it is offered? how many of these people are there? And do we really know why they reject help.

"

Why do you believe it is okay for people to live in tents, anywhere they want to, if they have been given support and have turned it down?

To ask me how many, is plainly ridiculous, how would I know and I'm not going to go looking for that number either, the statement below I can understand and get behind..

"Suella Braverman's plan would introduce new penalties in England and Wales for homeless people who authorities believe have rejected offers of help".

She said the government would always support those who are genuinely homeless, but added: "We cannot allow our streets to be taken over by rows of tents occupied by people, many of them from abroad, living on the streets as a lifestyle choice."

She added: "What I want to stop, and what the law-abiding majority wants us to stop, is those who cause nuisance and distress to other people by pitching tents in public spaces, aggressively begging, stealing, taking drugs, littering and blighting our communities."

Unless action is taken, she said, "British cities will go the way of places in the US like San Francisco and Los Angeles, where weak policies have led to an explosion of crime, drug taking and squalor."

By *aidForSharingWoman 28 weeks ago

Lancs

If you have accommodation you will have the maintenance bills that go with it. There are people who are incapable of managing what seems to the majority as a basic lifestyle and prefer instead not to be encumbered by the shackles of living in accommodation that requires electricity and council tax as well as the rent to be paid regularly. I knew someone who was happy being a squatter.

golden fields

What is wrong with getting people into better accommodation when it is offered? how many of these people are there? And do we really know why they reject help.

Why do you believe it is okay for people to live in tents, anywhere they want to, if they have been given support and have turned it down?

To ask me how many, is plainly ridiculous, how would I know and I'm not going to go looking for that number either, the statement below I can understand and get behind..

"Suella Braverman's plan would introduce new penalties in England and Wales for homeless people who authorities believe have rejected offers of help".

She said the government would always support those who are genuinely homeless, but added: "We cannot allow our streets to be taken over by rows of tents occupied by people, many of them from abroad, living on the streets as a lifestyle choice."

She added: "What I want to stop, and what the law-abiding majority wants us to stop, is those who cause nuisance and distress to other people by pitching tents in public spaces, aggressively begging, stealing, taking drugs, littering and blighting our communities."

Unless action is taken, she said, "British cities will go the way of places in the US like San Francisco and Los Angeles, where weak policies have led to an explosion of crime, drug taking and squalor."

"

If only Braverman was in some kind of position of power, some kind of governing body that could do something to help homeless people. Alas, she has no choice but to just further demonise them through rhetoric, let's not forget that some of them are foriegners too.

By (user no longer on site) 28 weeks ago

"

"

If anyone can point out how attempting to penalise the homeless will improve anything, i’m all ears.

LONDON

If only Braverman was in some kind of position of power, some kind of governing body that could do something to help homeless people. Alas, she has no choice but to just further demonise them through rhetoric, let's not forget that some of them are foriegners too. "

I hope you are being sarcastic?

Sindon Swingdon Swindon

"

have I said that ?

I want to understand how big the number is. If it's 5 out of 2,000 then it's an empty piece of legislation if the aim is to prevent "san Fransisco". And to knowingly make this a headline shows contempt to the voters.

But let's beg the question there are a meaningful number of people who have been offered help and chosen to refuse it.

I want to understand why they have chosen to refuse help. Imo, that helps give insight so we can eradicate homelessness. I can't imagine what must be happening in someone's live for them to 'choose' a tent in a shop over other options. I can only imagine they fear the world so much that the streets feel safer.

Imo that's a lot more useful than seeking to introduce penalties. And as above, what penalty can you give that have meaningful effect to change behaviour?

Id go one futher to seek to understand what causes homelessnes and try and prevent it rather than simply cure it.

In my opinion that's more what compassion looks like than penalising people.

By *ouple in LancashireCouple 28 weeks ago

in Lancashire

"

If anyone can point out how attempting to penalise the homeless will improve anything, i’m all ears. "

Agree

The whole issue of what she said is

another distraction from a party in it's last year or so, failure on umpteen promises can't be papered over by simplistic cliches designed solely to appeal to the core supporters who want something to pour scorn and bile upon..

nearby

"

If anyone can point out how attempting to penalise the homeless will improve anything, i’m all ears.

Agree

The whole issue of what she said is

another distraction from a party in it's last year or so, failure on umpteen promises can't be papered over by simplistic cliches designed solely to appeal to the core supporters who want something to pour scorn and bile upon..

"

Social housing sold off

Council building targets removed

Levelling up funds redirected by Sunak from poorer constituencies

Huge cuts in government grants to social landlords

Interesting thesis on the many causes, many that the governments have failed to address

https://ueaeprints.uea.ac.uk/id/eprint/77861/1/2020CarmichaelCPhD.pdf

Peterborough

Even by Tory supporters?

What's social media?

You have a context in mind but you're not stipulating it. Unless you're just continuing from your previous post and mine was just in the way

Hilarious. I'll leave you to copy others postings styles without adding anything of your own thoughts on matters."

Well that's utter bollocks.

But that's fine I won't bother reading your empty posts in future. They're not worth my effort in trying to deduce them, especially when you cannot be arsed to respond to a question.

Bournemouth

Even by Tory supporters?

What's social media?

Hilarious. I'll leave you to copy others postings styles without adding anything of your own thoughts on matters.

Well that's utter bollocks.

But that's fine I won't bother reading your empty posts in future. They're not worth my effort in trying to deduce them, especially when you cannot be arsed to respond to a question."

You'll note that you didn't answer the very first question I asked you. How ironic

"

"

I didn't know any British politician could criticise policies if our American friends. I thought it was one of two countries, that no criticism is allowed off. Very brave of her, just like her name.

By *orleymanMan 28 weeks ago

Leeds

The problem as we know is there are certain homeless thatbwont go into shelters.

Because you have to give up belongings and paraphernalia when you do. ( for lack of better wording you can not do drugs)

Many homeless of course, do not want this.

The government is withing its right to ask charities not to donate tents for homeless ornsleeping bags if they are choosing to live on streets.

We have St George's crypt in Leeds that look after them and many choose not to use it. They make money at night hanging around fast food outlets and begging. More than they would by staying indoors.

This is the sad reality.

Thr government could force them off the streets but into social housing and warmth but people would kick off about that.

Fact is the government could enact any policy to stop homelessness and people would oppose it and the homeless would choose to street life. Because its what they know and it let's them live the life they wish to lead.

Terra Firma

If only Braverman was in some kind of position of power, some kind of governing body that could do something to help homeless people. Alas, she has no choice but to just further demonise them through rhetoric, let's not forget that some of them are foriegners too. "

This is a problem with so many people today, you look at the politician or party and that is all you see.

Authorities are trying to get people out of tents, sleeping rough by offering them accommodation, those that refuse that support are doing so why?

As Morley points out, usually because they can't take drugs and alcohol into places offered, or they have a curfew, either way these people are creating their own drug safe, crime ridden hovels.

You may think that is okay, I don't.

The number of rough sleepers in London alone in 2023 is over 10k, compared to just under 4K in 2010.

Forgive us for not believing that this conservative govt. is serious about helping rough sleepers.

Sindon Swingdon Swindon

If only Braverman was in some kind of position of power, some kind of governing body that could do something to help homeless people. Alas, she has no choice but to just further demonise them through rhetoric, let's not forget that some of them are foriegners too.

This is a problem with so many people today, you look at the politician or party and that is all you see.

Authorities are trying to get people out of tents, sleeping rough by offering them accommodation, those that refuse that support are doing so why?

As Morley points out, usually because they can't take drugs and alcohol into places offered, or they have a curfew, either way these people are creating their own drug safe, crime ridden hovels.

You may think that is okay, I don't. "

but a policy of penalising ppl in these positions is not going to change any of that. If anything it's adding to the problem.

Ppl are conflating the solution with the problem.

How are they going to be penalised? Financially? Good luck. Put in prison? We don’t have the space. Prevented from having access to rehab schemes or training? Not sure that’s going to help.

It’s more meaningless bait for the Tory base.

Terra Firma

"

If anyone can point out how attempting to penalise the homeless will improve anything, i’m all ears. "

It is not penalising the homeless, it is support for authorities dealing with drug, alcohol and begging issues by people who are being offered support but refuse it to continue their ways, regardless of the mess they are building around them and the upset they cause to the local community.

"

It is not penalising the homeless, it is support for authorities dealing with drug, alcohol and begging issues by people who are being offered support but refuse it to continue their ways, regardless of the mess they are building around them and the upset they cause to the local community.

"

And yet the word penalise was used. What is the means of penalising?

Sindon Swingdon Swindon

"

"

you may be talking cross purposes. Providing additional funding, agreed. That's support.

Adding new clauses to the criminal justice bill feels less like support. More like penalising.

Bournemouth

"

And yet the word penalise was used. What is the means of penalising? "

By Braverman?

"

you may be talking cross purposes. Providing additional funding, agreed. That's support.

Adding new clauses to the criminal justice bill feels less like support. More like penalising. "

Reading further it seems that charities will be fined for handing out tents, which will presumably just lead to more homeless without shelter (as support has been cut since 2010).

It’ll lead to more deaths in winter, and less chance of homeless escaping their plight.

Terra Firma

[Removed by poster at 05/11/23 15:55:59]

Terra Firma

"

Adding new clauses to the criminal justice bill feels less like support. More like penalising. "

The number of people who are not reading the proposal or have read it and are not actually thinking about it is astounding...

A person who is homeless and offered support is not being penalised, a person who is homeless and has not been offered support is not being penalised.

Sindon Swingdon Swindon

"

Adding new clauses to the criminal justice bill feels less like support. More like penalising.

The number of people who are not reading the proposal and actually thinking about it is astounding...

A person who is homeless and offered support is not being penalised, a person who is homeless and has not been offered support is not being penalised.

"

the various news sites are saying changes to legislation. And making it a civil offence for charities to supply tents to such people.

Now I haven't read the report (if you have please DM me a link). And it may be the news is wrong. Totally accept that. But I struggle to see what legislative changes can be made that help here.

"

By Braverman?"

No, by NotMe in this thread, stating “ A shortened version.. "Suella Braverman's plan would introduce new penalties in England and Wales for homeless people who authorities believe have rejected offers of help" before going on to say “ It is not penalising the homeless”

The answer to solving rough sleeping is to provide shelter, rehabilitation and work-related-training in order to bring them back into society where they can contribute.

If you’re going to look at is as ‘we need to get these junkies off of the street because people don’t like them’ then you’re looking at the wrong end of the telescope.

Bournemouth

"

By Braverman?

No, by NotMe in this thread, stating “ A shortened version.. "Suella Braverman's plan would introduce new penalties in England and Wales for homeless people who authorities believe have rejected offers of help" before going on to say “ It is not penalising the homeless”"

I think you're deliberately trying to rewrite what he wrote there.

Terra Firma

"

By Braverman?

No, by NotMe in this thread, stating “ A shortened version.. "Suella Braverman's plan would introduce new penalties in England and Wales for homeless people who authorities believe have rejected offers of help" before going on to say “ It is not penalising the homeless”"

Read it again.... and come back to me on who this is aimed at, hint it is not the genuinely homeless people.

"

By Braverman?

No, by NotMe in this thread, stating “ A shortened version.. "Suella Braverman's plan would introduce new penalties in England and Wales for homeless people who authorities believe have rejected offers of help" before going on to say “ It is not penalising the homeless”

I think you're deliberately trying to rewrite what he wrote there. "

I mean, I used copy/paste.

"

By Braverman?

Read it again.... and come back to me on who this is aimed at, hint it is not the genuinely homeless people. "

The penalty is aimed at charities who help the genuinely homeless is it not?

I mean, I’m still not seeing where this so called benefit is (basically because anyone with an ounce of intellect can see that there is no benefit).

If we want to help rough sleepers, we’d look back to 1997-2010 where it was actually impacted. It’s not a failure to borrow from successful schemes under a ‘rival’ Government.

Terra Firma

"The answer to solving rough sleeping is to provide shelter, rehabilitation and work-related-training in order to bring them back into society where they can contribute.

If you’re going to look at is as ‘we need to get these junkies off of the street because people don’t like them’ then you’re looking at the wrong end of the telescope. "

Your opening paragraph is what Braverman is saying....

"The answer to solving rough sleeping is to provide shelter, rehabilitation and work-related-training in order to bring them back into society where they can contribute.

If you’re going to look at is as ‘we need to get these junkies off of the street because people don’t like them’ then you’re looking at the wrong end of the telescope.

Your opening paragraph is what Braverman is saying...."

Except she isn’t.

You think she is, but we have ample evidence that the tories don’t give a toss about rough sleeping, which is why it’s up well over 100% (over 200% in some locations) since they came to power.

She literally describes homelessness as ‘a lifestyle choice’

And folks defend her.

Bournemouth

"

By Braverman?

I mean, I used copy/paste. "

This is pointless man. You're trying to now be literal, you still haven't answered the 900 police station question. And you take The Byline Times as gospel. There's plenty of you on here

"

By Braverman?

I mean, I used copy/paste.

This is pointless man. You're trying to now be literal, you still haven't answered the 900 police station question. And you take The Byline Times as gospel. There's plenty of you on here "

No, I used the byline times numbers, and said that other sources vary, but all agreed on 600 police stations being closed - Is that not a correct representation of what I said?

And yeah when I’m quoting a poster I will copy/paste. Sorry if actually quoting someone’s words is ‘too literal’ for you.

By *irldnCouple 28 weeks ago

Brighton

I have a few days off, come back for a browse, nothing has changed.

Brighton

[Removed by poster at 05/11/23 16:22:06]

Leeds

"The number of rough sleepers in London alone in 2023 is over 10k, compared to just under 4K in 2010.

Forgive us for not believing that this conservative govt. is serious about helping rough sleepers. "

So then how do you beleive they stop it?

Leeds

"How are they going to be penalised? Financially? Good luck. Put in prison? We don’t have the space. Prevented from having access to rehab schemes or training? Not sure that’s going to help.

It’s more meaningless bait for the Tory base."

So what's the answer?

"The number of rough sleepers in London alone in 2023 is over 10k, compared to just under 4K in 2010.

Forgive us for not believing that this conservative govt. is serious about helping rough sleepers.

So then how do you beleive they stop it?"

I’ve already said. Provide shelter. Provide rehab. Provide training for work.

It needs money, support and willpower - but it can be done, as we saw between 1997-2010.

Leeds

If you’re going to look at is as ‘we need to get these junkies off of the street because people don’t like them’ then you’re looking at the wrong end of the telescope. "

Re read pal

Re read pal"

I’m not your pal

Leeds

It needs money, support and willpower - but it can be done, as we saw between 1997-2010."

But read the thread.

They have been offered shelter.

They don't take it up.

Because there are rules that come with shelter. Such as no drugs no alcohol.

So how do you address it?

Leeds

"She literally describes homelessness as ‘a lifestyle choice’

And folks defend her."

It is.. as described above by me.

They choose not to enter shelters because of the conditions surrounding use.

Re. Drugs, alcohol, cigarettes.

It needs money, support and willpower - but it can be done, as we saw between 1997-2010.

But read the thread.

They don't take it up.

So how do you address it?"

Rough sleeping is up well over 100% since 2010, and much worse in some locations. Are they all refusing shelter? How much shelter is provided? What other support is there? How does fining charities help? How does cutting support (as has happened since 2010) help?

A quote:

“Homeless Link’s 2021 Annual Review of Single Homelessness Support in England has revealed that there are 39% fewer accommodation providers and 26% fewer bed spaces for people experiencing homelessness than in 2010.

Other key findings include that:

There are 7% fewer day centre services than in 2010

43% of accommodation projects supported an increasing number of people experiencing homelessness for the first time in 2021

Lack of available social housing was the main barrier to people moving on from homelessness”

Leeds

But read the thread.

They don't take it up.

So how do you address it?

Rough sleeping is up well over 100% since 2010, and much worse in some locations. Are they all refusing shelter? How much shelter is provided? What other support is there? How does fining charities help? How does cutting support (as has happened since 2010) help?

"

Yes. As shelter is available to them all.

It happens here in Leeds

I've spoken with them.

They don't want it b3cause of the rules that come with it.

How many times must you be told this

Every year I work wi5h St georges crypt on this.

A former boss Rob o dea( set up Expedia.Co.UK) literally offered to buy up a street of terraced houses to help with homlessness in Leeds.

But was told point blank.

Leeds has enough shelter for all homelessness Leeds. They choose not to go into it. Because of the rules.

Leeds has many well known rough sleepers.

I forget his name but there used to be a chap under the arches in Leeds rails station.

He was well known and loved by many in the local community. But chose that life.

Leeds

"A quote:

“Homeless Link’s 2021 Annual Review of Single Homelessness Support in England has revealed that there are 39% fewer accommodation providers and 26% fewer bed spaces for people experiencing homelessness than in 2010.

43% of accommodation projects supported an increasing number of people experiencing homelessness for the first time in 2021

Lack of available social housing was the main barrier to people moving on from homelessness”"

Again.

If they choose to live that life.

What can you do.

Throwing stats out doesn't change anything.

What we should be grateful for is now we can monitor these changes.

Something not previously done much.

"A quote:

Lack of available social housing was the main barrier to people moving on from homelessness”

Again.

What can you do.

"

You don’t think 26% fewer bed spaces is an important stat to throw out?

Ok, you do you, boo.

Leeds

"A quote:

Again.

What can you do.

Ok, you do you, boo."

You are confusing homeless with rough sleepers

These are 2 different things.

"A quote:

Again.

What can you do.

Ok, you do you, boo.

"

I’m only guilty of comparing 1997-2010 to 2010-2023.

The difference between the two is stark.

Terra Firma

"A quote:

Again.

What can you do.

Ok, you do you, boo.

"

Exactly this...

Leeds

"A quote:

Again.

What can you do.

Ok, you do you, boo.

The difference between the two is stark."

Where your 1997 stqts on rough sleepers please?

Have you got alink

Terra Firma

"A quote:

Again.

What can you do.

Ok, you do you, boo.

The difference between the two is stark."

You are talking about your own agenda, not the actual subject of the op.

You have missed a lot of the message in the proposal

"A quote:

Again.

What can you do.

Ok, you do you, boo.

You have missed a lot of the message in the proposal"

I don’t have an agenda beyond pointing out the abject and undeniable failure of the Tory government on homelessness, and also suggesting that fining charities isn’t going to do anything to alleviate the problem.

Terra Firma

"I have a few days off, come back for a browse, nothing has changed. "

What was you expecting?

Brighton

Feeling like the need to say PILE ON ALERT

Terra Firma

"A quote:

Again.

What can you do.

Ok, you do you, boo.

I don’t have an agenda beyond pointing out the abject and undeniable failure of the Tory government on homelessness, and also suggesting that fining charities isn’t going to do anything to alleviate the problem. "

How would you know that, it hasn't been rolled out yet.

On the point of the charities, sometimes the most straight forward thing is the most damaging, so what seems like the right thing to do can cause more harm than good.

Best leave it to the professionals, who will hopefully have another tool in their box to help those in need.

"A quote:

Again.

What can you do.

Ok, you do you, boo.

I don’t have an agenda beyond pointing out the abject and undeniable failure of the Tory government on homelessness, and also suggesting that fining charities isn’t going to do anything to alleviate the problem.

How would you know that, it hasn't been rolled out yet.

On the point of the charities, sometimes the most straight forward thing is the most damaging, so what seems like the right thing to do can cause more harm than good.

Best leave it to the professionals, who will hopefully have another tool in their box to help those in need."

The professionals who’ve had their funding cut since 2010?

We have a successful blueprint for aiding homelessness, do we not? We literally saw it work. Why not repeat it?

golden fields

"The problem as we know is there are certain homeless thatbwont go into shelters.

Because you have to give up belongings and paraphernalia when you do. ( for lack of better wording you can not do drugs)

The government is withing its right to ask charities not to donate tents for homeless ornsleeping bags if they are choosing to live on streets.

We have St George's crypt in Leeds that look after them and many choose not to use it. They make money at night hanging around fast food outlets and begging. More than they would by staying indoors.

This is the sad reality.

Thr government could force them off the streets but into social housing and warmth but people would kick off about that.

Fact is the government could enact any policy to stop homelessness and people would oppose it and the homeless would choose to street life. Because its what they know and it let's them live the life they wish to lead.

"

Some of them are foriegners too.

Terra Firma

"The problem as we know is there are certain homeless thatbwont go into shelters.

This is the sad reality.

Some of them are foriegners too. "

You need to help me out, what does your post mean in the context of the subject?

"A quote:

Again.

What can you do.

Ok, you do you, boo.

Have you got alink"

All freely available on the internet. I’d recommend looking at rough sleeping once labour had been in a few years, rather than when they’d just taken over from the tories, to see the impact their policies had.

Leeds

"A quote:

Again.

What can you do.

Ok, you do you, boo.

Have you got alink

All freely available on the internet. I’d recommend looking at rough sleeping once labour had been in a few years, rather than when they’d just taken over from the tories, to see the impact their policies had."

Please link.

golden fields

This is the sad reality.

You need to help me out, what does your post mean in the context of the subject?"

"many of them from abroad" - Braverman

"A quote:

Again.

What can you do.

Ok, you do you, boo.

Have you got alink

All freely available on the internet. I’d recommend looking at rough sleeping once labour had been in a few years, rather than when they’d just taken over from the tories, to see the impact their policies had.

Please link."

I’m fairly sure you know how Google works.

Leeds

Thats a no then

Thank you

"Thats a no then

Thank you"

New labours performance on rough sleeping is well documented. I could post a link but you’d just say it’s irrelevant as you did on stats earlier.

You know 1997-2010 was better for homelessness than 2010-2023, I know it, everyone here knows it. The data is readily available for all to see.

Forgive me for not jumping through a hoop at your behest.

Bournemouth

"A quote:

Again.

What can you do.

Ok, you do you, boo."

I've just realised who you are and now it all makes sense

"A quote:

Again.

What can you do.

Ok, you do you, boo.

I've just realised who you are and now it all makes sense "

I’ve learned my lesson.

Even if a poster is something, don’t write it in the forum.

By *illowendMan 28 weeks ago

Southwold

These crooks have been in power for 13 years

They’ve created the problem

"

Leeds

"Thats a no then

Thank you

New labours performance on rough sleeping is well documented. I could post a link but you’d just say it’s irrelevant as you did on stats earlier.

You know 1997-2010 was better for homelessness than 2010-2023, I know it, everyone here knows it. The data is readily available for all to see.

Forgive me for not jumping through a hoop at your behest. "

Forgive me for not just believing anything written without evidence.

golden fields

"

These crooks have been in power for 13 years

"

100% it's someone else's fault, Labour, The EU, the "woke", foreigners, etc

Some of these homeless are from abroad .

"Thats a no then

Thank you

Forgive me for not jumping through a hoop at your behest.

Forgive me for not just believing anything written without evidence."

That’s absolutely fine enjoy your research.

Brighton

"A quote:

Again.

What can you do.

Ok, you do you, boo.

I've just realised who you are and now it all makes sense "

The Pile On (un)Official Monitor, or POOM for short, is watching. We don’t want any hypocrisy now do we

Bournemouth

"A quote:

Again.

What can you do.

Ok, you do you, boo.

The Pile On (un)Official Monitor, or POOM for short, is watching. We don’t want any hypocrisy now do we "

You crack on

Leeds

"A quote:

Again.

What can you do.

Ok, you do you, boo.

The Pile On (un)Official Monitor, or POOM for short, is watching. We don’t want any hypocrisy now do we "

Not sure where the pile on is again....

Brighton

"A quote:

Again.

What can you do.

Ok, you do you, boo.

The Pile On (un)Official Monitor, or POOM for short, is watching. We don’t want any hypocrisy now do we

Not sure where the pile on is again...."

It is wherever the POOM says it is

Terra Firma

This is the sad reality.

You need to help me out, what does your post mean in the context of the subject?

What did she actually say that you don't agree with?"

Is that correct or not, and what is it that makes you go so defensive when foreign nationals are mentioned as a problem?

They either are or are not, surely that is given, the truth.

If you think Braverman is not correct you will have the evidence to share?

This is the sad reality.

Is that correct or not, and what is it that makes you go so defensive when foreign nationals are mentioned as a problem?

If you think Braverman is not correct you will have the evidence to share?"

Did Braverman point out how many/what percentage of homeless are foreign?

Most homeless in London, for example are British, and that’s the most multicultural city in the U.K.

I must admit, I don’t think a rough sleeping foreigner is any greater/lesser problem than a rough sleeping Brit. Both are a tragedy.

By *bi HaiveMan 28 weeks ago
Forum Mod

Cheeseville, Somerset

What is the answer ? We have alot of people here living in caravans. They are smart they bank thier money and live off a system. Sleep in a van or rv. Go to 24 hour gyms pay 25 dollars a month to use thier facilities. Shit and shower anytime during the day. Even if you travel. It's brilliant in a way.

No disrespect to you but that is America-you cannot & the authorities will not let you do that here…."

I beg to differ.......

golden fields

This is the sad reality.

If you think Braverman is not correct you will have the evidence to share?"

I'm 100% on board with Braverman. As mentioned. Just a shame she's not in any kind of position of power or a part of some kind of authority that could help homeless people. She has no other option but to try to demonise the homeless. After all, some of them are from abroad.

Meanwhile we should all focus on the problems that foreign homeless people cause and just continue to vote Tory relentlessly.

"

Meanwhile we should all focus on the problems that foreign homeless people cause and just continue to vote Tory relentlessly. "

Quite strange that Cruella is not happy with people in tents, and your comment re foreigners and tents is at odds with the Govt, since at the end of July the Times reported that the Home Office had bought tents to house up to 2,000 people.

By *panksspankedMan 28 weeks ago

Edinburgh

This is the sad reality.

If you think Braverman is not correct you will have the evidence to share?

I'm 100% on board with Braverman. As mentioned. Just a shame she's not in any kind of position of power or a part of some kind of authority that could help homeless people. She has no other option but to try to demonise the homeless. After all, some of them are from abroad.

Meanwhile we should all focus on the problems that foreign homeless people cause and just continue to vote Tory relentlessly. "

In 30 years of working experience in Social Housing and Homelessness I only came across two people who 'chose' to live on the streets. One did so as a result of a personal tragedy, he is now in sheltered housing after many years on the street. The other suffered a very difficult autistic disorder, he was eventually housed after finally engaging with support.

Perhaps Braverman could look at what another country has done. It has ended the sale of Council Housing at discount and it has abolished the Priority Need Test which denies help and support to single homeless people.

That country is Scotland where housing law is devolved.

The choice is open to England to ask to do the same

"

Meanwhile we should all focus on the problems that foreign homeless people cause and just continue to vote Tory relentlessly.

Quite strange that Cruella is not happy with people in tents, and your comment re foreigners and tents is at odds with the Govt, since at the end of July the Times reported that the Home Office had bought tents to house up to 2,000 people."

I have at least three large tents which I could have sold to the govt, and made a huge profit (a bit like their mates did with PPE during the covid crisis - or the ferry company that had no boats).

Tom - how often do your threads get to 175? cos this one has just about made it.

By *ssex_tom OP   Man 28 weeks ago

Chelmsford

"Tom - how often do your threads get to 175? cos this one has just about made it."

Rarely