FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > Politics > Revenue collection Cameras

Revenue collection Cameras

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *iman2100 OP   Man 24 weeks ago

Glasgow

There is a dead straight, junctionless, 3 lane piece of dual carriageway, with a 40 mph limit, on the A40 between Long Drive and Wellands Gardens in London that has the distinction of having the most active revenue collection cameras in Britain. Some 49,050 intended prosecution of motorists in one year.

Overall some 1.74 million drivers were prosecuted and revenue of £45.7 million collected.

The people have revolted against the London ULEZ revenue collection cameras by cutting them down and they continue to revolt against speed cameras.

Could we see the end of this hugely unpopular method of Tax collection anytime soon?

(PS - I know if you don't exceed the limit you don't get caught. So no need to state the obvious thank you )

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *entle_lover_xMan 24 weeks ago

Great Dunmow

I want more speed cameras. I live in village that stretches for a mile or two and has 30/40mph limits but people regularly go through at 50-60 if not more. There is a big crash every few months. It's a miracle nobody has died although I had a close escape when a wanker in Lotus Elise was doing probably 70 around a tight blind bend like he was on a racetrack and hit me when my daughter was in the car with me. Both cars written off. I would like several speed cameras there.

By *ari SeldonMan 24 weeks ago

Liverpool

For me speed cameras are fine if located in accident Black spots

I don't believe they should be on motorways, except if there is roadworks or traffic calming, having cameras operating on open motorways is just a revenue collecting excersize

I also believe the punishment far exceeds the crime

Glasgow

"I want more speed cameras. I live in village that stretches for a mile or two and has 30/40mph limits but people regularly go through at 50-60 if not more. There is a big crash every few months. It's a miracle nobody has died although I had a close escape when a wanker in Lotus Elise was doing probably 70 around a tight blind bend like he was on a racetrack and hit me when my daughter was in the car with me. Both cars written off. I would like several speed cameras there. "

Speed cameras in accident black spots, like you describe, are good, if they are obvious, and people are warned about them, because then they perform the function they are meant to perform in slowing people down.

Having said that, I was on a Scottish motorway a week ago and there was a camera van on a bridge over a dead straight part of the road with no junctions for 2 to 3 miles. An area with no safety concerns. The only reason for being there was to collect revenue.

Glasgow

"For me speed cameras are fine if located in accident Black spots

I don't believe they should be on motorways, except if there is roadworks or traffic calming, having cameras operating on open motorways is just a revenue collecting excersize

I also believe the punishment far exceeds the crime"

I do agree, and in many instances they lead to people brake testing the vehicles behind which causes accidents in itself.

By *exy_HornyCouple 24 weeks ago

Leigh

I just set the speed limiter on the car to the speed limit in force. Allow plenty of time for a journey and there is no need to speed.

No speeding tickets but I get people driving in my boot all the time. When they do that I tend to reduce the speed fractionally.

Great Dunmow

"I want more speed cameras. I live in village that stretches for a mile or two and has 30/40mph limits but people regularly go through at 50-60 if not more. There is a big crash every few months. It's a miracle nobody has died although I had a close escape when a wanker in Lotus Elise was doing probably 70 around a tight blind bend like he was on a racetrack and hit me when my daughter was in the car with me. Both cars written off. I would like several speed cameras there.

Speed cameras in accident black spots, like you describe, are good, if they are obvious, and people are warned about them, because then they perform the function they are meant to perform in slowing people down.

Having said that, I was on a Scottish motorway a week ago and there was a camera van on a bridge over a dead straight part of the road with no junctions for 2 to 3 miles. An area with no safety concerns. The only reason for being there was to collect revenue."

Yes some of them are sneaky but just stick to the speed limit or a touch above. The safety concern is not just the immediate spot. If somebody gets caught a couple of times they will are much more likely to stick to speed limits everywhere.

Basically a large chunk of drivers don't agree with speed limits or at least don't think they apply to them (and you've got to go a fair bit over speed limit to get caught). The road is full of people who have no patience and a sense of entitlement. I saw screw them all

Great Dunmow

I do agree, and in many instances they lead to people brake testing the vehicles behind which causes accidents in itself. "

Oh dear. If doing 75 on a motorway not enough? Or sticking to a temp 50 limit when roadworks or an accident? What makes you so special?

Agree on the sudden breaking. Average speed cameras are a better solution.

By *0shadesOfFilthMan 24 weeks ago

nearby

Treble the speeding fines

Introduce longer bans

Life ban for drink and drug driving.

By *ouple in LancashireCouple 24 weeks ago

in Lancashire

"Treble the speeding fines

Introduce longer bans

Life ban for drink and drug driving.

"

I'm on board with a more robust sentencing regime, how some complete waste of oxygen can get away with a 7 year stretch of which he'll do less for murdering an elderly lady by doing 118 in a 30 is completely wrong..

By *AFKA HovisMan 24 weeks ago

Sindon Swingdon Swindon

Speed limits need a data based review.

Given how much everytning had changedon lady 40 years off the answer then is the answer today.

I can see lower limits in some places, and higher limits on mway.

By *addad99Man 24 weeks ago

Rotherham /newquay

"There is a dead straight, junctionless, 3 lane piece of dual carriageway, with a 40 mph limit, on the A40 between Long Drive and Wellands Gardens in London that has the distinction of having the most active revenue collection cameras in Britain. Some 49,050 intended prosecution of motorists in one year.

Overall some 1.74 million drivers were prosecuted and revenue of £45.7 million collected.

The people have revolted against the London ULEZ revenue collection cameras by cutting them down and they continue to revolt against speed cameras.

Could we see the end of this hugely unpopular method of Tax collection anytime soon?

(PS - I know if you don't exceed the limit you don't get caught. So no need to state the obvious thank you )"

wait till new ones come in next year that can tell that you slowed down before the camera to pass it

By *astandFeistyCouple 24 weeks ago

Bournemouth

I personally dislike speed cameras, especially mobile ones.

I would be for having 'average speed' cameras in force anywhere there is a risk.

For example, one road near me has 2 speed cameras nicely located to collect revenue. People who know where they are speed and then slow down. Exchange them for average cameras at beginning and end of road = no more speeding.

By *I TwoCouple 24 weeks ago

all around

"There is a dead straight, junctionless, 3 lane piece of dual carriageway, with a 40 mph limit, on the A40 between Long Drive and Wellands Gardens in London that has the distinction of having the most active revenue collection cameras in Britain. Some 49,050 intended prosecution of motorists in one year.

(PS - I know if you don't exceed the limit you don't get caught. So no need to state the obvious thank you )"

1.74 million people were punished for breaking the law

It's a personal choice not a compulsory tax

By *0shadesOfFilthMan 24 weeks ago

nearby

Speeding fines are a tax for illiterate wankers

Anyone complaining about getting one should go to spec savers

By *ortyairCouple 24 weeks ago

Wallasey

Don't speed, the rules are there for everyone, what makes anyone so special they think they don't apply to them, Mrs x

By *arry and MegsCouple 24 weeks ago

Ipswich

There are guidelines and procedures for the assignment of speed limits

Perhaps the OP should read them and challenge his local authority if he feels the limit is inappropriate for a particular road.

It's unlikely that they will find sympathy for being fined because they know better than the authorities

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/setting-local-speed-limits/setting-local-speed-limits

Glasgow

"Speeding fines are a tax for illiterate wankers

Anyone complaining about getting one should go to spec savers

"

I would have thought the inability to read would have made driving difficult let alone masturbating whilst driving.

Surely, drivers should have had their eyes tested, and corrective glasses worn, before they take to the road rather than after?

By *ust RachelTV/TS 24 weeks ago

Eastbourne

I think they should be on motorways. After I had the first service on my R6 motorbike, I tried it out on the M62, I got on at Rainhill stoops, I looked down at my speedo, it read 156 mph as I whistled past 3 lorries. Would I have done that if there was speed cameras, or course not.

I often rode at about 100, on the M57 as well.

So I think speed cameras are needed on motorways.

Eastbourne

"I just set the speed limiter on the car to the speed limit in force. Allow plenty of time for a journey and there is no need to speed.

No speeding tickets but I get people driving in my boot all the time. When they do that I tend to reduce the speed fractionally.

"

There was plans to install a gps system in cars, that records your speed on any given road. The data is downloaded at a service or MOT, the points would be issued afterwards.

By *amish SMan 24 weeks ago

Eastleigh

Bring it on, more cameras and more revenue for the councils. We should have system like the usa, get caught pay fine but no points. Some will soon get fed up wigh paying.

With aciidents on the M27 and M3 south of Winchester every morning this week leading to back roads being jammed is not ideal. Lowet speeds, less accidrnts, less delays.

By (user no longer on site) 24 weeks ago

Am l wrong or are a lot of busy junctions painted red because of death or serious accidents? Any death or serious injury is tragic for all concerned , Accidents happen for sure ,but if speed is correct for road conditions then less chance of serious injury . Having lost an 8 yr old stepdaughter to a speeding driver l cant condone speeding motorists.

Great Dunmow

"Bring it on, more cameras and more revenue for the councils. We should have system like the usa, get caught pay fine but no points. Some will soon get fed up wigh paying.

With aciidents on the M27 and M3 south of Winchester every morning this week leading to back roads being jammed is not ideal. Lowet speeds, less accidrnts, less delays. "

Bad idea as for many more well off they wouldn't care about the fine. It would just be another cost of driving. Speed limits in practice just wouldn't apply. This would also more likely be the people with expensive fast cars .

By *vbride1963TV/TS 24 weeks ago

E.K . Glasgow

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=yGVaArcV9BE ( not for those easily shocked )

This week is national road safety week 19-25 November .

Glasgow

I think they should be on motorways. After I had the first service on my R6 motorbike, I tried it out on the M62, I got on at Rainhill stoops, I looked down at my speedo, it read 156 mph as I whistled past 3 lorries. Would I have done that if there was speed cameras, or course not.

So I think speed cameras are needed on motorways."

I take it you are still alive, so you exceeded the speed limit by a factor if two and lived to tell the tale. You could conclude that speed, per se, does not necessarily lead to an accident certainty.

Eastbourne

I take it you are still alive, so you exceeded the speed limit by a factor if two and lived to tell the tale. You could conclude that speed, per se, does not necessarily lead to an accident certainty. "

Most of my accidents have been below the speed limits, saying that I was lycky enough to have just cuts, bruises and a bad case of whiplash. It doesn't bare thinking about, if I had crashed at the speeds I used to ride at.

Glasgow

I take it you are still alive, so you exceeded the speed limit by a factor if two and lived to tell the tale. You could conclude that speed, per se, does not necessarily lead to an accident certainty.

Most of my accidents have been below the speed limits, saying that I was lycky enough to have just cuts, bruises and a bad case of whiplash. It doesn't bare thinking about, if I had crashed at the speeds I used to ride at. "

It is statisically clear that the vast majority of accidents occur because of poor judgement and loss of concentration by the drivers. Actual loss of control due to excessive speed is about 7% of the causes of accidents but speed also reduces the thinking time.

My concern with the implemention of 20mph limits and other low limits is it will be perceived as so slow and "risk free" by drivers that they will not concentrate on what they are doing and will have more accidents as a result.

I remember reading an interview with a guy who bought a Ferrari 812 Superfast (211 mph max). They asked him how fast he had been in it. He said on an almost empty derestricted autobahn he got to 185 mph before he ran out of courage. He said he had never been so alert driving in his life. He also said that after 150mph he stopped looking in his mirror because anyone coming past at that speed knew what they were doing any way. Humans need to have a reason to stay alert and concentrate. If they do then accidents will be reduced.

Rotherham /newquay

Some roads need speed increasing others especially urban should be lowered also a autobahn would be great as for camera I'm ok with them if in a accident hot spot and the fines go to local community not council or government.

Glasgow

"Some roads need speed increasing others especially urban should be lowered also a autobahn would be great as for camera I'm ok with them if in a accident hot spot and the fines go to local community not council or government."

I agree with accident black spot cameras. It's hunting for people doing 80 on an empty, dead straight, junctionless, motorway that irritates. Revenue collection pure and simple.

Leigh

"Some roads need speed increasing others especially urban should be lowered also a autobahn would be great as for camera I'm ok with them if in a accident hot spot and the fines go to local community not council or government.

I agree with accident black spot cameras. It's hunting for people doing 80 on an empty, dead straight, junctionless, motorway that irritates. Revenue collection pure and simple."

I'd vote for lowering speed limits in general.

20 on purely residential roads, 30 on residential main through routes, 40 on single track, 50 single carriageway, 60 dual carriageway and motorways.

All vehicles should have the same limits so traffic flows more freely without bunching behind HGVs.

HGVs should only be allowed in the inside 2 lanes irrespective of the number of lanes. Quite often there are 3 HGVs abreast at 50mph over Thelwall with a queue behind them.

Lower limits mean that lower power vehicles are more viable, including 125cc bikes (currently flat out on national speed limit roads but would hav a bit of leeway at 50 mph). Cars would also not need to be as powerful so would use less fuel.

Generally, people would use less fuel at lower speeds, the only exception is 20 mph where vehicles struggle in higher gears.

Rotherham /newquay

"Some roads need speed increasing others especially urban should be lowered also a autobahn would be great as for camera I'm ok with them if in a accident hot spot and the fines go to local community not council or government.

I agree with accident black spot cameras. It's hunting for people doing 80 on an empty, dead straight, junctionless, motorway that irritates. Revenue collection pure and simple.

20 on purely residential roads, 30 on residential main through routes, 40 on single track, 50 single carriageway, 60 dual carriageway and motorways.

All vehicles should have the same limits so traffic flows more freely without bunching behind HGVs.

HGVs should only be allowed in the inside 2 lanes irrespective of the number of lanes. Quite often there are 3 HGVs abreast at 50mph over Thelwall with a queue behind them.

Lower limits mean that lower power vehicles are more viable, including 125cc bikes (currently flat out on national speed limit roads but would hav a bit of leeway at 50 mph). Cars would also not need to be as powerful so would use less fuel.

Generally, people would use less fuel at lower speeds, the only exception is 20 mph where vehicles struggle in higher gears."

lorries are only aloud in the first two lanes if a 3 lane motorway or 3 lanes if it's a four lane but I'd get rid of the limiter or make it 65 on lorries as at moment we have a range to choose from.

By *ellhungvweMan 24 weeks ago

Cheltenham

It is very likely that putting a camera in an accident black spot will result in more accidents.

A study in Texas focussing on road signs warning people to slow down on dangerous parts of the road showed that the signs resulted in more accidents because people will focus on the warning sign at _exactly_ the moment they should be focussing on the road. I would imagine cameras would have the same result because they take attention away from the road at the wrong moment.

If a road has proven it is dangerous then the road needs to be changed so that drivers don’t get themselves in trouble.

Leigh

Generally, people would use less fuel at lower speeds, the only exception is 20 mph where vehicles struggle in higher gears. lorries are only aloud in the first two lanes if a 3 lane motorway or 3 lanes if it's a four lane but I'd get rid of the limiter or make it 65 on lorries as at moment we have a range to choose from."

I know which lanes HGVs are allowed in. Thelwall viaduct is 4 lanes and a steady grade so often there is one HGV doing 50, one doing 51 and the third 52 in the first 3 lanes. Then when they get to the top, frequently the inner ones accelerate faster down the other side so they are all in a line for miles. There is no reason to allow HGVs in lane 3 of a 4 lane road.

By (user no longer on site) 24 weeks ago

Instead of ripping up roads and junxtions why not just slow down? What's the rush?

By *entle_lover_xMan 23 weeks ago

Great Dunmow

Karma. Think I got pinged by a camera on the way home from a swinging party last night. 2am knackered, half asleep and probably doing 40 in 30 on a deserted road.....my own fault. Slammed on breaks but not quick enough and camera flashed. Will wait for the letter. Those shags are going to turn expensive

By *orny-DJMan 23 weeks ago

Leigh-on-Sea

(PS - I know if you don't exceed the limit you don't get caught. So no need to state the obvious thank you )

It's a personal choice not a compulsory tax "

Exactly. It's very easy to avoid paying a speeding fine and getting points on your license. Obey the speed limit.

By *oubleswing2019Man 23 weeks ago

Colchester

Remove all speed limits.

However, if you have a crash and you are at fault, and speed was the major defining cause of the crash...life in prison.

Failing that...just connect all motors to an giant AI brain, and that real time regulates the vehicle speed for you. Be nice if it did the driving too. Could sit in the back and watch the world go by and eat breakfast at the same time

By *entle_lover_xMan 23 weeks ago

Great Dunmow

"Remove all speed limits.

However, if you have a crash and you are at fault, and speed was the major defining cause of the crash...life in prison.

Failing that...just connect all motors to an giant AI brain, and that real time regulates the vehicle speed for you. Be nice if it did the driving too. Could sit in the back and watch the world go by and eat breakfast at the same time "

What any crash? That's a bit harsh

By *ust RachelTV/TS 23 weeks ago

Eastbourne

I agree with accident black spot cameras. It's hunting for people doing 80 on an empty, dead straight, junctionless, motorway that irritates. Revenue collection pure and simple."

I used to travel on the A23 most mornings on the way into work, at a sedate 120mph +. Brighton to Gatwick in about 20 minutes, so glad there were never any speed cameras aling the route.

By *rimly FiendishMan 23 weeks ago

Heath Hayes

Most yellow speed cameras dont have film in them . The councils cant afford it.Cheaper to use them as a deterrent and use the vans to £££££££s .

Just wait until the AI cameras are up and running. The black boxes on the yellow camera uprights. One is checking seatbelts ,the other people on phones.

By *exy_HornyCouple 23 weeks ago

Leigh

"Most yellow speed cameras dont have film in them . The councils cant afford it.Cheaper to use them as a deterrent and use the vans to £££££££s .

Just wait until the AI cameras are up and running. The black boxes on the yellow camera uprights. One is checking seatbelts ,the other people on phones."

One of those has just been installed not far from here.

No problems with it at all. Everything it checks for is illegal.

Need one at the traffic lights on the East Lancs. People on their phones, eating breakfast, putting makeup on etc. Not concentrating on driving at all.

By *ools and the brainCouple 23 weeks ago

couple, us we him her.

Are we the most photographed and CCTV monitored nation in the world?

It seems like you can't walk or drive without being watched or snapped by something.

Yet amazingly crime is increasing.

By *ove2pleaseseukMan 23 weeks ago

Hastings

"Most yellow speed cameras dont have film in them . The councils cant afford it.Cheaper to use them as a deterrent and use the vans to £££££££s .

Just wait until the AI cameras are up and running. The black boxes on the yellow camera uprights. One is checking seatbelts ,the other people on phones."

All the cameras round the south are now digital no film needed.

And all picks are sent over 4g I got my last fine in 3 days of the efence lucke I done a course so no points.

By *ove2pleaseseukMan 23 weeks ago

Hastings

It's a personal choice not a compulsory tax

Exactly. It's very easy to avoid paying a speeding fine and getting points on your license. Obey the speed limit."

I do find 20mph hard at times it's so slow and then an ebike go's past you

» Add a new message to this topic