FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > Politics > CEO of Currys states that

CEO of Currys states that

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *verageSausage OP   Man 21 weeks ago

Flintshire

UK minimum wage hike shows government doesn't care about retail industry.

Oh no, poor Currys. The retail giant which systematically smothered every other high street retailer since the 1908s and is now in an almost Monopoly position.

Poor Currys can't afford to pay their sales people the new minimum wage!

The company dropped the name Dixons many many years ago and can't wait until they finally bury the name PC World.

For me, it has for many decades been a retailer where one can buy over priced tat but you don't need to worry about repair costs if you take out the monthly subscription 24 month insurance policy.

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By (user no longer on site) 21 weeks ago

Having to pay for overpriced tat just about sums up the minimum wage.

By *inkyCeltMan 21 weeks ago

Newport

Overpriced tat?

So what brands of electrical goods do you buy that aren't "tat"?

By *exy_HornyCouple 21 weeks ago

Leigh

"UK minimum wage hike shows government doesn't care about retail industry.

Oh no, poor Currys. The retail giant which systematically smothered every other high street retailer since the 1908s and is now in an almost Monopoly position.

The company dropped the name Dixons many many years ago and can't wait until they finally bury the name PC World.

For me, it has for many decades been a retailer where one can buy over priced tat but you don't need to worry about repair costs if you take out the monthly subscription 24 month insurance policy.

"

We find that the biggest issue is lack of training and knowledge of the products.

The sales staff are fully up to speed on the extended warranties and also try and sell add ons or accessories (not all of which are compatible with the product).

As to genuine product knowledge, they are very poor.

By *otMe66Man 21 weeks ago

Terra Firma

"

Have you considered the implications to this or are you simply annoyed anyone would have an opinion?

A quick Google tells me Currys employs 28K people and the average uplift is approx £1800 per person, that is a lot of money that needs to be added onto the price of the products they are selling.

Uplifting those on the minimum wage will also have knock on effect with people who are being paid more than that and expect their wages to also increase.

Currys is a business and needs to make money, that pays the wages of the workers, inhibit the potential returns and it becomes easier too close and not have the burden of running the business.

By *melie LALWoman 21 weeks ago

Peterborough

"

That - poor choice of words, imo.

Nevertheless, as consumers in the age of the internet, we can find a product we like and search for the cheapest.

That doesn't help the retail staff.

By *melie LALWoman 21 weeks ago

Peterborough

That - poor choice of words, imo.

Nevertheless, as consumers in the age of the internet, we can find a product we like and search for the cheapest.

That doesn't help the retail staff."

TAT not that lol

By *ove2pleaseseukMan 21 weeks ago

Hastings

Have you considered the implications to this or are you simply annoyed anyone would have an opinion?

A quick Google tells me Currys employs 28K people and the average uplift is approx £1800 per person, that is a lot of money that needs to be added onto the price of the products they are selling.

Uplifting those on the minimum wage will also have knock on effect with people who are being paid more than that and expect their wages to also increase.

Currys is a business and needs to make money, that pays the wages of the workers, inhibit the potential returns and it becomes easier too close and not have the burden of running the business.

"

You forgot the additional NI the employer will need to find as well.

By *csheffMan 21 weeks ago

Sheffield

You forgot the additional NI the employer will need to find as well. "

Minimum wage Haa been good and bad depending on what Job you do. I can remember when Minimum wage was a dirty word and people wouldn't work for Minimum wage Jobs. Since 2005 ish it just feels like it's been a race to the bottom where every entry level job is Minimum wage.

Good, if a company is so shit that it can't afford to cover the basic wage requirements of a nation then its clearly a shit buisness that deserves to fail.

Terra Firma

"Good, if a company is so shit that it can't afford to cover the basic wage requirements of a nation then its clearly a shit buisness that deserves to fail."

Agreed, close the stores and put 2800 people out of work, do it now.

"Good, if a company is so shit that it can't afford to cover the basic wage requirements of a nation then its clearly a shit buisness that deserves to fail.

"

Well, they can just get a new job. Thanks to this government theres no shortage and as the old people always say. "Its not hard to get a job". So yeah, lets close them. The workers can just get a new job.

Terra Firma

"Good, if a company is so shit that it can't afford to cover the basic wage requirements of a nation then its clearly a shit buisness that deserves to fail.

Well, they can just get a new job. Thanks to this government theres no shortage and as the old people always say. "It’s not hard to get a job". So yeah, let’s close them. The workers can just get a new job."

Perfect, but my only concern… there are only so many jobs you don’t need qualifications, eduction or an ounce of common sense to be able to do.

The job market in the UK could get rather competitive……

Eh, im sure our society would do well with 2800 (Or whatever the number was) new janitors and street sweepers.

Terra Firma

"Eh, im sure our society would do well with 2800 (Or whatever the number was) new janitors and street sweepers."

Not a chance, under your regime, there will be an abundance of people wanting those types of jobs and I think we can then be very particular in who gets such roles, a degree is going to be needed Quality of cleaning will be greatly improved though.

I also like the idea of no high street shops for those wanting to work for the minimum wage to hang about around. Good work

Cleaning up Britain £1 at a time

"Eh, im sure our society would do well with 2800 (Or whatever the number was) new janitors and street sweepers.

Not a chance, under your regime, there will be an abundance of people wanting those types of jobs and I think we can then be very particular in who gets such roles, a degree is going to be needed Quality of cleaning will be greatly improved though.

I also like the idea of no high street shops for those wanting to work for the minimum wage to hang about around. Good work

Cleaning up Britain £1 at a time"

Personally I think they should have 2 degrees but ehh.

Terra Firma

"Eh, im sure our society would do well with 2800 (Or whatever the number was) new janitors and street sweepers.

Cleaning up Britain £1 at a time

Personally I think they should have 2 degrees but ehh. "

Not sure you will get that approved, start small and close Currys down with the loss of 2800 jobs as your starter for 10, or should that be 11.44

By *irkby coupleCouple 21 weeks ago

Kirkby

I won’t buy anything from Curry’s.

Last time we went in, quite a while ago, we wanted to buy an Apple Watch and a Garmin watch. Someone said they will be with us, waited 20mins, ended up buying what we wanted on Amazon cheaper and delivered the next day. We walked out and haven’t been back since. It would be great to see them shut down.

By *ools and the brainCouple 21 weeks ago

couple, us we him her.

Curry's and Dixon's where two different companies both in existence at the same time.

Lack of competition is a bad thing.

I hate online shopping and much prefer in person particularly for big price products like a telly box.

Staff in Currys are really no better than pretty much everywhere else.

Earlier on this year I was looking at sound bars and tried Currys and John Lewis both members of staff seemed more interested in chatting with each other than helping the customer and to my suprise in John Lewis one guy was standing using his mobile texting and taking selfies.

Wages should reflect age, experience and quality and earned not a god given right.

A low wage should be an incentive to work harder isn't that the point of having a job you start at the bottom and work your way up.

Compulsory minimum wage is crippling small companies that's why so many independent retailers have gone out of business.

And big greedy people like your sports direct bloke have destroyed the high street.

If people are so concerned about people having an appropriate wage stop online shopping to encourage shops to reopen and employing more people.

In general Curry's aren't bad you just need to get the employee who knows what they are doing.

My advice don't go telly shopping on a weekend go during the week, different staff.

By *ertwoCouple 21 weeks ago

omagh

And so it becomes wages go up people can spend more, then interest is pushed up to stop spending and the money losses value round and round we go. No point in keeping money in your house it goes down in value, Keep it in the banks where the government can see every penny you have and where it is spent. That makes sure they can tax every penny to cover increase in their own pay. World toke a 6 month holiday because of covid now we all have to pay for the lost time. Money splashed out by government like £20 extra on benefits when they had no extra costs as they should not have been out spending at that time. Parties with drink in NO 10 is bad security for the UK. Drink and state matters do not mix.Free use of phone recording and pics security risk. No 10 shame and danger to the UK peoples.

Terra Firma

"I won’t buy anything from Curry’s.

Last time we went in, quite a while ago, we wanted to buy an Apple Watch and a Garmin watch. Someone said they will be with us, waited 20mins, ended up buying what we wanted on Amazon cheaper and delivered the next day. We walked out and haven’t been back since. It would be great to see them shut down."

That's the spirit! This is the way we should all be, no appreciation for things going wrong and self entitlement all the way. It is frankly the only way these places will ever learn.

By *ohnnyTwoNotesMan 21 weeks ago

golden fields

"to my suprise in John Lewis one guy was standing using his mobile texting and taking selfies.

"

He was probably on Fab.

Last time we went in, quite a while ago, we wanted to buy an Apple Watch and a Garmin watch. Someone said they will be with us, waited 20mins, ended up buying what we wanted on Amazon cheaper and delivered the next day. We walked out and haven’t been back since. It would be great to see them shut down.

That's the spirit! This is the way we should all be, no appreciation for things going wrong and self entitlement all the way. It is frankly the only way these places will ever learn.

"

While you are right about understanding things can go wrong and we should be understanding about them.

But in these tough competitive times for all retail businesses. It is important for them to up their game and make customers feel their custom is valued. People at the top of the company might be happy to close down the retail side of the business and drive customers online. But if you were a shop floor worker, you would think it is in your interest to provide a good customer service. Not leaving the standing around for 20 mins.

Terra Firma

While you are right about understanding things can go wrong and we should be understanding about them.

But in these tough competitive times for all retail businesses. It is important for them to up their game and make customers feel their custom is valued. People at the top of the company might be happy to close down the retail side of the business and drive customers online. But if you were a shop floor worker, you would think it is in your interest to provide a good customer service. Not leaving the standing around for 20 mins."

I'm a champion for great customer service and I do believe that it can become a bedrock of knowledge which will improve peoples prospects on minimum wage jobs in retail, especially when studying or starting out on careers.

What I do not like is the type of people who believe that people working in retail, waiters / bar staff etc are simply there to pander and suck up to the people who are paying their wage. A little respect goes a long way down a 2 way street, but you wont get far if it is only one way.

But in these tough competitive times for all retail businesses. It is important for them to up their game and make customers feel their custom is valued. People at the top of the company might be happy to close down the retail side of the business and drive customers online. But if you were a shop floor worker, you would think it is in your interest to provide a good customer service. Not leaving the standing around for 20 mins.

I'm a champion for great customer service and I do believe that it can become a bedrock of knowledge which will improve peoples prospects on minimum wage jobs in retail, especially when studying or starting out on careers.

What I do not like is the type of people who believe that people working in retail, waiters / bar staff etc are simply there to pander and suck up to the people who are paying their wage. A little respect goes a long way down a 2 way street, but you wont get far if it is only one way."

As someone myself who has worked in bars/restaurants and retail, you won't get any argument about entitled customers.

I just don't think it is good customer service in the case being discussed.

By *otMe66Man 20 weeks ago

Terra Firma

What I do not like is the type of people who believe that people working in retail, waiters / bar staff etc are simply there to pander and suck up to the people who are paying their wage. A little respect goes a long way down a 2 way street, but you wont get far if it is only one way.

As someone myself who has worked in bars/restaurants and retail, you won't get any argument about entitled customers.

I just don't think it is good customer service in the case being discussed. "

stood still without following up for 20 minutes?

When something isn't working as it should, do you sit on it knowing it has broken, or mention you have a problem?

Entitlement and I will teach you a lesson....

By *usie pTV/TS 20 weeks ago

taunton

The poor fookers are that poorly paid they have had to start eating the sales bumph.

By (user no longer on site) 20 weeks ago

I just don't think it is good customer service in the case being discussed.

stood still without following up for 20 minutes?

When something isn't working as it should, do you sit on it knowing it has broken, or mention you have a problem?

Entitlement and I will teach you a lesson.... "

Still poor customer service, it does exist. Its not always the entitled customers fault.

By *inkyCeltMan 20 weeks ago

Newport

Looks like a classic example of a hit and run thread by the OP

By *anJenny 181Couple 19 weeks ago

Preston

As someone once said if you can't pay your staff proper then you don't have a viable business.

» Add a new message to this topic