FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > Politics > Dignitas

Dignitas

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *melie LAL OP   Woman 20 weeks ago

Peterborough

Dame Esther Rantzen has reported she may use dignitas if her current medication regimen doesn't work.

Gove is reported as commenting that the HOC should revisit the subject of assisted dying.

I can see both sides of the issue.

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By (user no longer on site) 20 weeks ago

I’ve always been open to this, but the rapid increase in assisted deaths in Canada since they introduced it looks pretty concerning.

By *otMe66Man 20 weeks ago

Terra Firma

"I’ve always been open to this, but the rapid increase in assisted deaths in Canada since they introduced it looks pretty concerning."

If it’s trendy I’m in, whether I need this or not….

By *og-ManMan 20 weeks ago

somewhere

My kids keep offering to buy me a one way ticket to Switzerland

I'd definitely like to die when I'm able to make the decision myself

Have a party,say goodbye and jump on a plane

Very dignified in my opinion

We do it to our pets so they're not suffering

By *resesse_MelioremCouple 20 weeks ago

Border of London

"Dame Esther Rantzen has reported she may use dignitas if her current medication regimen doesn't work.

Gove is reported as commenting that the HOC should revisit the subject of assisted dying.

I can see both sides of the issue."

That nobody should be forced to suffer against their own will and that nobody should be pressured to an early death can surely both be on the same side, somehow?

Peterborough

"I’ve always been open to this, but the rapid increase in assisted deaths in Canada since they introduced it looks pretty concerning.

If it’s trendy I’m in, whether I need this or not…."

So you DO have a sense of humour

Peterborough

"My kids keep offering to buy me a one way ticket to Switzerland

We do it to our pets so they're not suffering "

But what about having that choice here?

Peterborough

"Dame Esther Rantzen has reported she may use dignitas if her current medication regimen doesn't work.

I can see both sides of the issue.

That nobody should be forced to suffer against their own will and that nobody should be pressured to an early death can surely both be on the same side, somehow?"

Only by being strictly regulated.

I haven't looked into it but I'm sure Dignitas is strictly regulated and ensures it's the person's choice.

By *rDiscretionXXXMan 20 weeks ago

Gilfach

"I’ve always been open to this, but the rapid increase in assisted deaths in Canada since they introduced it looks pretty concerning."

Gosh, really? They've made something legal, and now more people are doing it? How concerning!

Has the overall death rate gone up in Canada, or is the same number of people dying, just in a different way?

"I’ve always been open to this, but the rapid increase in assisted deaths in Canada since they introduced it looks pretty concerning.

Gosh, really? They've made something legal, and now more people are doing it? How concerning!

Has the overall death rate gone up in Canada, or is the same number of people dying, just in a different way?"

Do you know that it isn’t concerning?

By *og-ManMan 20 weeks ago

somewhere

But what about having that choice here?"

Its a conversation that hasn't really started yet in Ireland but I think it will eventually

Gilfach

"Gosh, really? They've made something legal, and now more people are doing it? How concerning!

Has the overall death rate gone up in Canada, or is the same number of people dying, just in a different way?"

"Do you know that it isn’t concerning?"

No, and neither do you, since you haven't actually looked at any of the figures. But I do know that no one has presented any evidence that there might be something to worry about, so I'm not going to worry about it.

Has the overall death rate gone up in Canada, or is the same number of people dying, just in a different way?

No, and neither do you, since you haven't actually looked at any of the figures. But I do know that no one has presented any evidence that there might be something to worry about, so I'm not going to worry about it."

So why waste your time posting about it.

There clearly is ongoing concern as anyone who monitors international affairs at even a cursory level would know.

You seem not to, don’t know anything about the topic, yet seek to comment about something you know nothing about and claim to have no interest in.

By *ust RachelTV/TS 20 weeks ago

Eastbourne

We put animals to sleep, as it is best for them. Yet we keep loved ones living through hell, as it is against the law to help them put an end to the pain.

I can see the other side of it, befriend an old dear. Get her to change her will and leave everything to you, book a trip to switzerland and return to a comfortable living.

Gilfach

"Gosh, really? They've made something legal, and now more people are doing it? How concerning!

"Do you know that it isn’t concerning?"

"No, and neither do you, since you haven't actually looked at any of the figures. But I do know that no one has presented any evidence that there might be something to worry about, so I'm not going to worry about it."

"So why waste your time posting about it."

Because it's a subject about which I have very strong opinions, and I'm tired of seeing the debate get stalled by religious people that want God involved.

What a person does with their life should be that person's decision, not some busybody whose beliefs are challenged by the idea that other people might think differently.

"There clearly is ongoing concern as anyone who monitors international affairs at even a cursory level would know."

Yes, several hand-wringy Christian groups are expressing concern that Canadians can now legally do what they've previously had to do illegally. That doesn't mean that there is any real reason for rational people to be concerned.

"You seem not to, don’t know anything about the topic, yet seek to comment about something you know nothing about and claim to have no interest in."

I don't know where you get the idea that I've claimed to have no interest in the subject. You seem to be attempting to read my mind, and not doing a very good job of it.

Peterborough

But what about having that choice here?

Its a conversation that hasn't really started yet in Ireland but I think it will eventually "

Perhaps after they deal with abortions?

No, and neither do you, since you haven't actually looked at any of the figures. But I do know that no one has presented any evidence that there might be something to worry about, so I'm not going to worry about it.

Because it's a subject about which I have very strong opinions, and I'm tired of seeing the debate get stalled by religious people that want God involved.

What a person does with their life should be that person's decision, not some busybody whose beliefs are challenged by the idea that other people might think differently.

There clearly is ongoing concern as anyone who monitors international affairs at even a cursory level would know.

Yes, several hand-wringy Christian groups are expressing concern that Canadians can now legally do what they've previously had to do illegally. That doesn't mean that there is any real reason for rational people to be concerned.

You seem not to, don’t know anything about the topic, yet seek to comment about something you know nothing about and claim to have no interest in.

I don't know where you get the idea that I've claimed to have no interest in the subject. You seem to be attempting to read my mind, and not doing a very good job of it."

I’m not religious so I’ve no idea what you are talking about.

I have simply said that I have become more ambivalent about the topic that I used to be. When considering whether a policy should be implemented in the UK it is pretty obvious that one should examine the impact of the same policy recently introduced in another similar country.

Even cursory research would indicate that questions are being asked of the Canadian experience. And that is surely how it should be with a policy of this nature. There should be ongoing research and inquisition and the opportunity for review and if necessary reversal. Any open minded person would see that as a perfectly reasonable position.

The idea that the only people asking questions are kooky religious groups is patent nonsense and it’s clearly just your pathetic attempt to shut down debate. Trudeau would be proud. I suggest you do more research on the topic.

Gilfach

I don't know where you get the idea that I've claimed to have no interest in the subject. You seem to be attempting to read my mind, and not doing a very good job of it."

"I’m not religious so I’ve no idea what you are talking about."

I didn't say that you were religious, I said that religious people always try to get the debate shut down on the grounds that life is sacred. If you really don't know that, then you're not at all well versed on the subject.

"Even cursory research would indicate that questions are being asked of the Canadian experience. And that is surely how it should be with a policy of this nature. There should be ongoing research and inquisition and the opportunity for review and if necessary reversal. Any open minded person would see that as a perfectly reasonable position."

I agree, that's logical and reasonable. But you started with "the rapid increase in assisted deaths in Canada since they introduced it looks pretty concerning". That's not a logical position. An increase in numbers after something is made legal and becomes socially acceptable isn't a cause for concern.

If you had mentioned abuse of the system, or floods of teenagers applying for the procedure, that might have been worthy of concern. But you didn't. You relied solely on the idea that more people were doing a thing, so that must be bad, which is poor reasoning.

By *idnight RamblerMan 20 weeks ago

Pershore

I can see both sides of the issue."

Yes, it's easy to see both sides of the argument. Witnessing EOL is a grim experience in any circumstances. There should definitely be options for 'controlled' EOL in my opinion. On the other hand, we have to safeguard against

the frail, sick and elderly being pressured into anything for the wrong reasons.

By *oolyCoolyCplCouple 20 weeks ago

Newcastle under Lyme

That's what some of us will be getting instead of a Pension, state euthanasia.

By *iman2100Man 20 weeks ago

Glasgow

"That's what some of us will be getting instead of a Pension, state euthanasia."

"Brave New World" becomes real.

It is a very difficult question to answer. Some years ago I extracted my ex sister in Law from her home and saved from her psychiatrist husband who was gaslighting her into committing suicide so he could live with his girlfriend.

On the other hand I had a neighbour die of that ghastly affliction, motor neurone disease. He would have loved to have had a choice of when to die.

The safegards needed to prevent abuse of the system are incredibly complex, so Governments default to "its illegal" as that is the safest option for them.

By (user no longer on site) 19 weeks ago

They need to get it legalised and stop pissing about. Hopefully Esther will be able to raise awareness and speed up the law change.

By *coptoCouple 19 weeks ago

Côte d'Azur & Great Yarmouth

"My kids keep offering to buy me a one way ticket to Switzerland"

Possibly/probably/hopefully lightheartedly. But,more soberly, a dear friend of mine with Parkinson's was in a very bad way before he died and wanted to make that same journey. It was explained that even the Doctors themselves don't/can't press the plunger, the patient himself must do it. But what if he is physically unable? They can rig it so that the patient can trigger it with, for example, a nod of the head.

BUT, he and his wife were warned that if she accompanied him to Switzerland (how else was the poor sod gonna get there?) she would be arrested on her return to the UK.

By *NL Social SpurschickWoman 19 weeks ago

Social Zone

They need to get on with it, people should have the choice to be able to end their life, when they choose if suffering a terminal illness.

Why should they die in pain when their body decides to give up or alone with no love ones with them, it’s heartbreaking for all concerned.

If you can afford to go to dignitas, you do so alone and normally a lot earlier than you choose to do so, so you are well enough to travel alone.

By (user no longer on site) 19 weeks ago

""My kids keep offering to buy me a one way ticket to Switzerland"

Possibly/probably/hopefully lightheartedly. But,more soberly, a dear friend of mine with Parkinson's was in a very bad way before he died and wanted to make that same journey. It was explained that even the Doctors themselves don't/can't press the plunger, the patient himself must do it. But what if he is physically unable? They can rig it so that the patient can trigger it with, for example, a nod of the head.

BUT, he and his wife were warned that if she accompanied him to Switzerland (how else was the poor sod gonna get there?) she would be arrested on her return to the UK."

It's so sick that their family would get arrested.

People should be allowed to choose for themselves.

Absolute arsehole evil types who are blocking this. They should rot in painful hell without any chance of ending it.

» Add a new message to this topic