FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > Politics > Bury north

Bury north

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *addad99 OP   Man 19 weeks ago

Rotherham /newquay

Bury north MP James Daly defends himself after saying that the government cannot do everything parents need to stand up and be proper parents I understand where he's coming from but could he have said it differently.

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *exy_HornyCouple 19 weeks ago

Leigh

"Bury north MP James Daly defends himself after saying that the government cannot do everything parents need to stand up and be proper parents I understand where he's coming from but could he have said it differently."

Why?

What he said was correct. Too many snowflakes about who get upset by the truth.

By *addad99 OP   Man 19 weeks ago

Rotherham /newquay

"Bury north MP James Daly defends himself after saying that the government cannot do everything parents need to stand up and be proper parents I understand where he's coming from but could he have said it differently.

Why?

What he said was correct. Too many snowflakes about who get upset by the truth."

totally agree but we have to tread lightly around snowflakes

By *oubleswing2019Man 18 weeks ago

Colchester

That's a bit like me pulling the rug out from under your feet then blaming you for falling over.

Bury is one of the lowest funded Councils in England. Did Mr. Daly mention that ? No he did not.

They are in dire financial prospects right now, with cost pressures exceeding 17% of the budget this year against an income increase of just 7%.

Almost 75% of the demand on their Council Budget is for provisioning services/care for adults and young people.

Fact 1:

Bury is in the bottom 20% worst-funded councils – ranking 122 out of 150 upper-tier English local authorities in terms of money to spend per resident.

In Camden the council has £1,331 to spend on every resident – in Bury it’s just £792.

Fact 2:

Their annual real term core spending power* has been reduced by 29% since 2010/11.

During this time government funding has gone down by 55%.

Fact 3:

Government funding cuts and unfunded pressures such as inflation and increased demand have left Bury having to find £150 million savings since 2010/11.

* Government funding plus council tax. Real terms in 2019-20 prices. This is the government’s preferred measure of Local Authority revenue income.

Is it any wonder that if you pull the social support rug from under people's feet, they will trip up ?

By *otMe66Man 18 weeks ago

Terra Firma

"That's a bit like me pulling the rug out from under your feet then blaming you for falling over.

Bury is one of the lowest funded Councils in England. Did Mr. Daly mention that ? No he did not.

They are in dire financial prospects right now, with cost pressures exceeding 17% of the budget this year against an income increase of just 7%.

Almost 75% of the demand on their Council Budget is for provisioning services/care for adults and young people.

Fact 1:

Bury is in the bottom 20% worst-funded councils – ranking 122 out of 150 upper-tier English local authorities in terms of money to spend per resident.

In Camden the council has £1,331 to spend on every resident – in Bury it’s just £792.

Fact 2:

Their annual real term core spending power* has been reduced by 29% since 2010/11.

Fact 3:

Government funding cuts and unfunded pressures such as inflation and increased demand have left Bury having to find £150 million savings since 2010/11.

* Government funding plus council tax. Real terms in 2019-20 prices. This is the government’s preferred measure of Local Authority revenue income.

Is it any wonder that if you pull the social support rug from under people's feet, they will trip up ?"

Your reply seems solid and I'm not going to start looking up the figures... I do have a question, how is the difference in cost per per person so far apart Camden £1331 and Bury £792?

Is it the amount of council tax paid as in the bandings are higher in Camden etc?

By *irldnCouple 18 weeks ago

Brighton

I would not be surprised if council tax revenue plays a part seeing as Camden Council covers Hampstead and Belsize Park!

By *addad99 OP   Man 18 weeks ago

Rotherham /newquay

"That's a bit like me pulling the rug out from under your feet then blaming you for falling over.

Fact 1:

Fact 2:

Fact 3:

Is it any wonder that if you pull the social support rug from under people's feet, they will trip up ?"

that's all fine and dandy but what the hell does it have to do with your parenting skills.

By *oubleswing2019Man 18 weeks ago

Colchester

"that's all fine and dandy but what the hell does it have to do with your parenting skills."

Cutting back, slashing, underfunding and restricting the welfare and support infrastructure of an area will have social consequences that permeate in to the heart of the family/parental unit itself.

Rotherham /newquay

"that's all fine and dandy but what the hell does it have to do with your parenting skills.

Cutting back, slashing, underfunding and restricting the welfare and support infrastructure of an area will have social consequences that permeate in to the heart of the family/parental unit itself."

yes I agree but still nothing to do with parenting I'm sure there are communities around the world less off than bury but don't blame them for the upbringing of their family bad parenting or good parenting doesn't cost anything we have a society that thinks the government should be there for everything then blame them when they go stray

By *restonCouple555Couple 18 weeks ago

preston

"Bury north MP James Daly defends himself after saying that the government cannot do everything parents need to stand up and be proper parents I understand where he's coming from but could he have said it differently."

Low wages, high cost of living means a typical household requires two incomes. Meanwhile childcare is basically unaffordable, and schools are just one of the many public services suffering chronic underfunding.

Our political class has spent time immemorial presenting an example of irresponsible, incompetent, grasping careerism and cynical infighting. It's beyond rich for any of them to take a cheap swipe at parents, the overwhelming majority of whom most people would I think agree are already doing as much as they know how to raise decent human beings.

Rotherham /newquay

"Bury north MP James Daly defends himself after saying that the government cannot do everything parents need to stand up and be proper parents I understand where he's coming from but could he have said it differently.

Low wages, high cost of living means a typical household requires two incomes. Meanwhile childcare is basically unaffordable, and schools are just one of the many public services suffering chronic underfunding.

Our political class has spent time immemorial presenting an example of irresponsible, incompetent, grasping careerism and cynical infighting. It's beyond rich for any of them to take a cheap swipe at parents, the overwhelming majority of whom most people would I think agree are already doing as much as they know how to raise decent human beings."

still don't see what political class has to do with it definitely not a cheap swipe so people just shouldn't be aloud to have children eg i was in a pub other day seeing a friend i had two bottles while I was there a girl with a young daughter was left dancing she must have had 5 pints in the time the singer stop and asked her to move her daughter as she was touching the globe and if she got hurt the woman's face said it all now no matter how much cash was thrown at her she wouldn't have changed.

By *ohnnyTwoNotesMan 18 weeks ago

golden fields

Our political class has spent time immemorial presenting an example of irresponsible, incompetent, grasping careerism and cynical infighting. It's beyond rich for any of them to take a cheap swipe at parents, the overwhelming majority of whom most people would I think agree are already doing as much as they know how to raise decent human beings. still don't see what political class has to do with it definitely not a cheap swipe so people just shouldn't be aloud to have children eg i was in a pub other day seeing a friend i had two bottles while I was there a girl with a young daughter was left dancing she must have had 5 pints in the time the singer stop and asked her to move her daughter as she was touching the globe and if she got hurt the woman's face said it all now no matter how much cash was thrown at her she wouldn't have changed."

The young girl had 5 pints?

This is my favourite post of 2023.

Rotherham /newquay

Our political class has spent time immemorial presenting an example of irresponsible, incompetent, grasping careerism and cynical infighting. It's beyond rich for any of them to take a cheap swipe at parents, the overwhelming majority of whom most people would I think agree are already doing as much as they know how to raise decent human beings. still don't see what political class has to do with it definitely not a cheap swipe so people just shouldn't be aloud to have children eg i was in a pub other day seeing a friend i had two bottles while I was there a girl with a young daughter was left dancing she must have had 5 pints in the time the singer stop and asked her to move her daughter as she was touching the globe and if she got hurt the woman's face said it all now no matter how much cash was thrown at her she wouldn't have changed.

This is my favourite post of 2023."

think you need to go to Specsavers good try again Muppet

preston

Our political class has spent time immemorial presenting an example of irresponsible, incompetent, grasping careerism and cynical infighting. It's beyond rich for any of them to take a cheap swipe at parents, the overwhelming majority of whom most people would I think agree are already doing as much as they know how to raise decent human beings. still don't see what political class has to do with it definitely not a cheap swipe so people just shouldn't be aloud to have children eg i was in a pub other day seeing a friend i had two bottles while I was there a girl with a young daughter was left dancing she must have had 5 pints in the time the singer stop and asked her to move her daughter as she was touching the globe and if she got hurt the woman's face said it all now no matter how much cash was thrown at her she wouldn't have changed."

No you're right, we should base government policy on that one time you saw a chav's kid in a pub.

By *orleymanMan 18 weeks ago

Leeds

No. Parents need to be parents. They blame every 1 else but themselves for the way their children turn out today

preston

No. Parents need to be parents. They blame every 1 else but themselves for the way their children turn out today"

Who did your parents blame for how you turned out?

Leeds

No. Parents need to be parents. They blame every 1 else but themselves for the way their children turn out today

Who did your parents blame for how you turned out? "

No one they did t have to.

They realised I am some one that reads sources, checks fscts before commenting on things.

Unlike some.

preston

They realised I am some one that reads sources, checks fscts before commenting on things.

Unlike some."

Alright, chill out, it's New Year's Eve. Have a drink.

Leeds

Unlike some.

Alright, chill out, it's New Year's Eve. Have a drink."

Seems to be the ongoing case on here.

People love to mock... when you " clapback" " chill out" , " I was joking" .

Same old tactic

By *uddy laneMan 18 weeks ago

dudley

Unlike some.

Same old tactic"

I have to agree with you,

And it would not of made any difference on your answer to the question the chill out response was already waiting to be sent.

preston

Unlike some.

Same old tactic"

You failed to plan for it. Smarter people would have seen it coming and made the required adjustments. If you didn't you only have your own incompetence to blame.

golden fields

Our political class has spent time immemorial presenting an example of irresponsible, incompetent, grasping careerism and cynical infighting. It's beyond rich for any of them to take a cheap swipe at parents, the overwhelming majority of whom most people would I think agree are already doing as much as they know how to raise decent human beings. still don't see what political class has to do with it definitely not a cheap swipe so people just shouldn't be aloud to have children eg i was in a pub other day seeing a friend i had two bottles while I was there a girl with a young daughter was left dancing she must have had 5 pints in the time the singer stop and asked her to move her daughter as she was touching the globe and if she got hurt the woman's face said it all now no matter how much cash was thrown at her she wouldn't have changed.

This is my favourite post of 2023. think you need to go to Specsavers good try again Muppet "

"while I was there a girl with a young daughter was left dancing she must have had 5 pints"

By *otMe66Man 18 weeks ago

Terra Firma

This is my favourite post of 2023. think you need to go to Specsavers good try again Muppet

"while I was there a girl with a young daughter was left dancing she must have had 5 pints"

"

I’m going to be straight with you, the message is clear in that sentence.

I’m not sure how literal you need things to be?

golden fields

This is my favourite post of 2023. think you need to go to Specsavers good try again Muppet

I’m going to be straight with you, the message is clear in that sentence.

I’m not sure how literal you need things to be?"

Maybe a comma would have helped amongst the long block of unbroken text. I couldn't decipher it.

By *AFKA HovisMan 18 weeks ago

Sindon Swingdon Swindon

Maybe there's more detail somewhere, but what I have read to date lackd any real substance.

I don't think anyone would disagree that bad parenting correlates with poor outcomes for kids.

However I'd need to see more evidence to show that most of the kids struggling are simply from this.

Even if this is true, I haven't seen anything he says to help make parents less crap. I see he mentions stability, and again, I doubt anyone would say stability on childhood isn't hugely helpful, but again, how do you create stability? Indeed, what is stability? Is it 2 parents living together ? Or maybe parents and kids having a steady routine with work. Or not moving frequently.

As it stands all I get is he is trying to say to working class parents "labour give money to this who don't deserve it. The crap ones. That's not you of course. You're the Working class conservative." Without actually saying how they'd help. It's like a CEO saying "our strategy is to make more profit" and thinking he job is done.

» Add a new message to this topic