FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > Politics > How often do you buy British?

How often do you buy British?

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *usybee73 OP   Man 17 weeks ago

in the sticks

As the title says, do you prefer to buy British goods? Or even do research on whats made in Britain?

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *oo hotCouple 17 weeks ago

North West

"As the title says, do you prefer to buy British goods? Or even do research on whats made in Britain?"

Like what?

What is “made in Britain” that consumers can buy off the shelf?

By *ohnnyTwoNotesMan 17 weeks ago

golden fields

"As the title says, do you prefer to buy British goods? Or even do research on whats made in Britain?"

Food yes absolutely.

I can't think of anything else I buy that's made here. I bought a bicycle from a British bike company. But really most of the components were made elsewhere and put together in the UK.

By *icolerobbieCouple 17 weeks ago

walsall

What about things that aren’t British but are made in Britain?

Like Nissans or jaguar cars for example.

They create jobs for British people, even if the profits go abroad?

By *uninlondon69Man 17 weeks ago

Lewisham

"What about things that aren’t British but are made in Britain? "
Profits from the British Museum gift shop?

By (user no longer on site) 17 weeks ago

In recent years I have become far more conscious of where things are made.

I try to buy British where I can but it is difficult. And often things made in Britain will be far more expensive.

I do nowadays try to avoid things that are made in China at least. I always check the label and if it is made in China it goes back on the shelf.

By *idnight RamblerMan 17 weeks ago

Pershore

I try to buy British if I can, and use Farm Shops for local stuff too (tho it can be pricey).

By *eroy1000Man 17 weeks ago

milton keynes

With food I buy British wherever possible. Irish is my alternative if I need one. With items like ovens and washing machines I may look but even if it says made in Britain there is a good chance many components are made in China. I bought a saucepan from Ikea a few weeks ago, it was neither Swedish or British but again from China. I hear some Tesla cars are also made in China. I think much of British made stuff is for industry, so not things that the average man on the street will come across apart from maybe cars. Apparently the UK is the 8th largest manufacturer in the world now have recently overtaken France so guess some know where to go

By *usybee73 OP   Man 17 weeks ago

in the sticks

There are quite a few British products out there, but for some reason never get the publicity... think off hand there's 2 companies making television sets.

But as mentioned earlier, quite a few import from abroad then assembled in uk, hoping to pass off as British... triumph for example

Should government and retail get behind manufacturing, farmers a bit more?

By *melie LALWoman 17 weeks ago

Peterborough

I don't earn enough to consider where my product is made.

By *ercuryMan 17 weeks ago

Grantham

EBAC, based in tne North-East,make washing machines, freezers and dehumidifiers,amongst other products.

I purchased a dehumidifier from them last year, and it's quality.

golden fields

[Removed by poster at 09/01/24 13:14:56]

golden fields

"EBAC, based in tne North-East,make washing machines, freezers and dehumidifiers,amongst other products.

I purchased a dehumidifier from them last year, and it's quality."

Do you know how much of it is made there. Do the manufacturer the components too or just buy them in from China and assemble them in the UK. Which was the case when I bought a bicycle from a British bike company.

By *I TwoCouple 17 weeks ago

all around

"EBAC, based in tne North-East,make washing machines, freezers and dehumidifiers,amongst other products.

Do you know how much of it is made there. Do the manufacturer the components too or just buy them in from China and assemble them in the UK. Which was the case when I bought a bicycle from a British bike company."

Thinking the very same I checked and they do manufacture the vast majority of components, obviously not electronic components but they have plastic moulding machines for all plastics

By *oversfunCouple 17 weeks ago

ayrshire

Do you know how much of it is made there. Do the manufacturer the components too or just buy them in from China and assemble them in the UK. Which was the case when I bought a bicycle from a British bike company.

Thinking the very same I checked and they do manufacture the vast majority of components, obviously not electronic components but they have plastic moulding machines for all plastics"

Dont buy anything with the butchers apron on the packaging,try and buy local scottish produce

By *oubleswing2019Man 17 weeks ago

Colchester

I buy the right product, at the right price, to the right specification, in the right quantity, to be delivered in a timescale I deem appropriate.

Where it comes from or who assembled it is irrelevant to me. Could be made by clever monkeys on the moon for all I care.

This is the way of capitalism, which we are told is good.

I take it one stage further to anarcho-capitalism essentially (or at least one interpretation thereof).

Anyone anywhere should be able to make and produce their goods whereever they like and sell to any market with frictionless and unrestrictive trade, free of monopoly or interference or subsidies.

That is a capitalist market with no "distortion". The moment you start adding "protections", you distort the market and disadvantage producers.

It's allowing markets to find equilibrium and not artificially prosper due to engineered constraints.

Let the market and its consumers decide. Not red tape.

By *ercuryMan 17 weeks ago

Grantham

Thinking the very same I checked and they do manufacture the vast majority of components, obviously not electronic components but they have plastic moulding machines for all plastics"

They manufacture everything as locally as possible.

They are also very environmentally aware, and don't believe in shipping stuff across the world.

They provide good jobs, and in turn, tax revenue to the UK.

We need more firms like this.

golden fields

"I buy the right product, at the right price, to the right specification, in the right quantity, to be delivered in a timescale I deem appropriate.

Where it comes from or who assembled it is irrelevant to me. Could be made by clever monkeys on the moon for all I care.

"

Who is telling us capitalism is good?

"

I take it one stage further to anarcho-capitalism essentially (or at least one interpretation thereof).

Anyone anywhere should be able to make and produce their goods whereever they like and sell to any market with frictionless and unrestrictive trade, free of monopoly or interference or subsidies.

"

Do we need interference to prevent monopolies?

"

That is a capitalist market with no "distortion". The moment you start adding "protections", you distort the market and disadvantage producers.

It's allowing markets to find equilibrium and not artificially prosper due to engineered constraints.

Let the market and its consumers decide. Not red tape."

Of course this is the system we live in, and we're all able to choose to care or not care about the things you mentioned, price, specifications, delivery etc. were also able to choose to care or not care about supporting the local or national economy (which could benefit us all), or as mentioned, choose to buy things with lesser environmental impact.

By *resesse_MelioremCouple 17 weeks ago

Border of London

"

This is great in theory. But there are often good reasons (existential, even) for countries to manipulate trade. Keeping steel production capability in-country for war, keeping food security, etc. Unbridled and pure capitalism can be as bad as pure communism. Survival and dominance of the most efficient market model isn't necessarily good for humans.

Pershore

"I buy the right product, at the right price, to the right specification, in the right quantity, to be delivered in a timescale I deem appropriate.

Markets alone cannot determine supply channels. There are Geopolitical factors to consider. Look how we couldn't get PPE in the pandemic, and energy crisis in Ukraine war. Now shipping is screwed in the Red Sea. What if China blacklist us? We need resilience in supply chains.

By *oubleswing2019Man 17 weeks ago

Colchester

"What if China blacklist us? We need resilience in supply chains."

I agree. That is what all countries need.

However that is not what we have.

What we do have is the dominance of a few select markets that via a number of geopolitical and economic manoeuvres have positioned themselves as manufacturers to the rest of the world.

Aided and abetted by market forces in the West to deliver ever-growing shareholder value. Something has to give and it will. This is the very sharp end of capitalism. The drive for efficiency will be its undoing. And it won't be pretty.

By *amish SMan 17 weeks ago

Eastleigh

As somone who purchases globally, China 8 years ago was prohibitive due to MOQ, now their economy is struggling I can now buy products there that foundries can't make in the UK. Rubber products from abroad far higher quality and longer lasting than UK production.

Also, at times I have to wait inline for machine time from UK supliers as they actually have contracts from Chinese companies to machine items that are for EU companies, its sometimes cheaper and quicker for them get the odd 5000 or 10000 items machined in the UK.

Pershore

"As somone who purchases globally, China 8 years ago was prohibitive due to MOQ, now their economy is struggling I can now buy products there that foundries can't make in the UK. Rubber products from abroad far higher quality and longer lasting than UK production.

Also, at times I have to wait inline for machine time from UK supliers as they actually have contracts from Chinese companies to machine items that are for EU companies, its sometimes cheaper and quicker for them get the odd 5000 or 10000 items machined in the UK."

Just be careful the quality from China, and expect to lose your IP. (Lived there a decade).

By *astcoast2000Man 17 weeks ago

Newcastle County Down

"What about things that aren’t British but are made in Britain?

They create jobs for British people, even if the profits go abroad? "

Lots of British production going on food manufacturing clothes

By *eroy1000Man 17 weeks ago

milton keynes

"What about things that aren’t British but are made in Britain?

They create jobs for British people, even if the profits go abroad? "

I have a friend at Nissan who informs me that the components for the cars are also being made in the UK in increasing numbers. They need to comply with certain regulations on origin of parts and to do so suppliers have moved production to the UK

By *alleyDaveMan 16 weeks ago

Sheffield

I Always buy British meat from my local butcher .

By *ANDA!Man 15 weeks ago

DUMFRIES

I'll buy whatever fits my budget.

As a side note, I don't know what the regs are when it comes to calling something "Made in Britain" but few days ago I saw a video somewhere regarding "Made in USA" regulations state the product must be started and finished in that country. The example used was an item of clothing. Fabric cut into parts for item in USA, shipped to probably China for some kid to sew together, then shipped back to the USA where the "Made in USA" label is sewn on.

By *rozac_fairyCouple 15 weeks ago

Tamworth

Vegetables and meat, absolutely.

Some fruits.

Most of the other goods we generally buy I prefer to buy from elsewhere. The quality tends to be better

By *amish SMan 15 weeks ago

Eastleigh

"As somone who purchases globally, China 8 years ago was prohibitive due to MOQ, now their economy is struggling I can now buy products there that foundries can't make in the UK. Rubber products from abroad far higher quality and longer lasting than UK production.

Also, at times I have to wait inline for machine time from UK supliers as they actually have contracts from Chinese companies to machine items that are for EU companies, its sometimes cheaper and quicker for them get the odd 5000 or 10000 items machined in the UK.

Just be careful the quality from China, and expect to lose your IP. (Lived there a decade)."

Now they produce their own branded items, they tend to respect IP rights these days, not surprising when they want trade in a global market space. Any parts that require know how that we want to keep secret are processed at that stage in the UK. They also know their parts will be tested in UKAS labs.

» Add a new message to this topic