FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > Politics > More faith in the British Economy

More faith in the British Economy

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *orses and Ponies OP   Man 16 weeks ago

Ealing

Ceva Logistics a subsidiary of French shipping giant CMA have agreed to take over Wincanton logistics at 450p a shared , a premium of approximately 52 % to the pre deal closing price and an 82 % premium to its average share price over the past 12 months .

It is great to see such confidence in the logistics sector . The merchants of doom and gloom have once again been proved wrong.

In 2022 GXO bought Clipper logistics for a 32 % premium on its three month average share price. Meanwhile HIG Capital has offered £315 million for small cap courier DX a 30 % premium to its highest closing price between November 2015 and September 2023. Xpediator has also been snapped up by a Baltics private equity fund .

All directors and staff at these companies have a record to be proud of.

The only downside is that Capital Gains tax will be due .

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *irldnCouple 16 weeks ago

Brighton

Shouldn’t this be a thread started by Trucks and Truckers?

Pat you are too hasty with retiring your various alter egos!

You’re putting horse before cart

By *oo hotCouple 15 weeks ago

North West

"Ceva Logistics a subsidiary of French shipping giant CMA have agreed to take over Wincanton logistics at 450p a shared , a premium of approximately 52 % to the pre deal closing price and an 82 % premium to its average share price over the past 12 months .

It is great to see such confidence in the logistics sector . The merchants of doom and gloom have once again been proved wrong.

In 2022 GXO bought Clipper logistics for a 32 % premium on its three month average share price. Meanwhile HIG Capital has offered £315 million for small cap courier DX a 30 % premium to its highest closing price between November 2015 and September 2023. Xpediator has also been snapped up by a Baltics private equity fund .

"

Random person on Fab quotes an investment website in the hope of being taken seriously.

Meanwhile , for ordinary people who are not investors, the NHS is fucked, transport is fucked, education is fucked, social care is fucked, care in the community no longer meaningfully exists and on every measurable level life is significantly worse now than it worse 14 years ago for ordinary people.

However… if you are a HNW investor - deals are out there.

By *otMe66Man 15 weeks ago

Terra Firma

"Ceva Logistics a subsidiary of French shipping giant CMA have agreed to take over Wincanton logistics at 450p a shared , a premium of approximately 52 % to the pre deal closing price and an 82 % premium to its average share price over the past 12 months .

Random person on Fab quotes an investment website in the hope of being taken seriously.

Meanwhile , for ordinary people who are not investors, the NHS is fucked, transport is fucked, education is fucked, social care is fucked, care in the community no longer meaningfully exists and on every measurable level life is significantly worse now than it worse 14 years ago for ordinary people.

"

Root cause? Lazy answer is the governments fault

By *uddy laneMan 15 weeks ago

dudley

Root cause? Lazy answer is the governments fault "

Ain't the government the will of the people, so it's the peoples fault,,, take responsibility people.

By *rHotNottsMan 15 weeks ago

Dubai

Root cause? Lazy answer is the governments fault

Ain't the government the will of the people, so it's the peoples fault,,, take responsibility people.

"

The government is the people in a democracy - anyone can join a political party and stand , or stand for council, or govern local schools or lead local youth groups or scouts, start non-for profits and make a difference.

But how many do ? It’s much easier to just moan isn’t it.

By *orses and Ponies OP   Man 15 weeks ago

Ealing

Life is signifificently better now for most people than it was twenty years ago.

Spending on the NHS is at at all high as is that on social security and benefits . Any one actually involved in the health or social services can see that for them selves .

Anyone thinking that a change of government is going to resolve any of the problems faced by the health service will be in for a shock.

The only real option we have is to part privatise the service and adapt a model similar to that used in other European countries such as France or Germany .

Many shareholders are ordinary working people. Their investment will be via pension funds and they are taking care of their income in retirement . . The government will not have to top their pension via pension credit should they meet the qualifying criteria.

At least in this case ordinary working people have benefitted from a companies success . This will include staff who are members of the sharesave scheme .

I cannot see many people resenting staff receiving a bonus

By *idnight RamblerMan 15 weeks ago

Pershore

"

In that case, let's hope HIG Capital can be persuaded to run the NHS. It couldn't be any worse anyway. After all, the government couldn't run a Tombola stall at a village fete - just witness the Post Office.

By (user no longer on site) 15 weeks ago

"

How do you suggest we deal with these problems?

Rejoin the EU?

Print some money?

To be fair to you these are likely to be Labour’s “solutions” if they win the next election, alongside higher taxes.

None of which will make any difference, aside from doctors can probably expect yet more pay rises.

The problems with the public sector and particularly the NHS are long term structural ones which apply regardless of what colour party rosette someone is wearing.

Until we get a government that is prepared to confront the structural problems and the vested interests that prevent any change then things won’t improve. That certainly won’t be Labour.

By *irldnCouple 15 weeks ago

Brighton

"How do you suggest we deal with these problems?"

Round up everyone who is economically inactive, old and young, and kill them.

Thanks for reading my manifesto

By (user no longer on site) 15 weeks ago

"How do you suggest we deal with these problems?

Thanks for reading my manifesto "

How do you define “economically inactive”?

Brighton

"How do you suggest we deal with these problems?

Thanks for reading my manifesto

How do you define “economically inactive”?"

People on benefits including pensioners, unless they have a good net worth, in which case take all their money and kill them.

Brighton

Doesn’t look like my manifesto is gaining much traction!

Right, all fat people. Round them up and kill them then turn them into food.

Terra Firma

"Doesn’t look like my manifesto is gaining much traction!

Right, all fat people. Round them up and kill them then turn them into food."

I think we have had this conversation before, I'm not eating meat that has been reared on pot noodles, wotsits kebabs, cigarettes and lager.

By *ouple in LancashireCouple 15 weeks ago

in Lancashire

I think we have had this conversation before, I'm not eating meat that has been reared on pot noodles, wotsits kebabs, cigarettes and lager."

Tend to agree, I want my meat free range or ideally that which has come from a vegetarian input..

Ealing

Employees of Wincanton who participate in the Share Option scheme will more than happy with this news. There are 20,300 employees and currently there are 2.3 million share options outstanding. Details of the share option scheme are noted on page 152 of the latest annual accounts.

It is great to see Ceva Logistics putting their faith in a British Company. The other side of the argument is that we will no longer have any quoted logistics companies in the FTSE 350. All are now foreign owned .

Companies that have been taken over are Fowler Welch Coolchain , Clipper Logistics , DX , and Xpediator. Life moves on . Many people will have shared in the success of these companies

By *rDiscretionXXXMan 15 weeks ago

Gilfach

"I think we have had this conversation before, I'm not eating meat that has been reared on pot noodles, wotsits kebabs, cigarettes and lager."

"Tend to agree, I want my meat free range ..."

We don't force fat people to eat a specific diet. Their meat is free range.

And the best beef in the world (Kobe wagyu) comes from lager-fed cattle.

in Lancashire

I think we have had this conversation before, I'm not eating meat that has been reared on pot noodles, wotsits kebabs, cigarettes and lager.

Tend to agree, I want my meat free range ...

And the best beef in the world (Kobe wagyu) comes from lager-fed cattle."

Bet they've got a listing in the Nikkei..

Terra Firma

And the best beef in the world (Kobe wagyu) comes from lager-fed cattle."

True! I think like wagyu we need to grade the fat and marbling of this new source of free range meat, obviously if they are cramped in a prison cell, that will also need to be categorised

Brighton

True! I think like wagyu we need to grade the fat and marbling of this new source of free range meat, obviously if they are cramped in a prison cell, that will also need to be categorised "

I am liking the thinking in these posts and will seek to develop the manifesto pledge further.

My local pub certainly has potential for some lager reared fat people. We could make them “card carriers” who in the future make the ultimate sacrifice if handing their bodies over for consumption. Card carriers thus get discounted lager! Does the walk to and from the pub count as free-range?

Terra Firma

True! I think like wagyu we need to grade the fat and marbling of this new source of free range meat, obviously if they are cramped in a prison cell, that will also need to be categorised

I am liking the thinking in these posts and will seek to develop the manifesto pledge further.

My local pub certainly has potential for some lager reared fat people. We could make them “card carriers” who in the future make the ultimate sacrifice if handing their bodies over for consumption. Card carriers thus get discounted lager! Does the walk to and from the pub count as free-range?"

We need to ensure they are not walking to far home, I don't want the muscle toughened by excessive use.

By *rDiscretionXXXMan 15 weeks ago

Gilfach

"Does the walk to and from the pub count as free-range?"

If they get as much walking as keeps turn happy, and eat the food they want to, that's free range.

Brighton

My local pub certainly has potential for some lager reared fat people. We could make them “card carriers” who in the future make the ultimate sacrifice if handing their bodies over for consumption. Card carriers thus get discounted lager! Does the walk to and from the pub count as free-range?

We need to ensure they are not walking to far home, I don't want the muscle toughened by excessive use.

"

Brighton

[Removed by poster at 21/01/24 18:44:37]

Brighton

"Does the walk to and from the pub count as free-range?

If they get as much walking as keeps turn happy, and eat the food they want to, that's free range."

This is shaping up nicely.

Right so I need a name for my party. I was thinking KKK or the Kill Kook Kanibalise party but I something is off and I kan’t kwite put my finger on it!

By *anJenny 181Couple 15 weeks ago

Preston

Why is mainly foreign hedge funds buying up our assets ?

Also these people are not interested in workers or our rights, simply getting a return on the investment

I am not sure this is short slighted, we talk about taking back control but how can we do that selling off our assets to European countries like the French?

Not that I have any business sense but if feels counter productive to me.

in Lancashire

"Why is mainly foreign hedge funds buying up our assets ?

Also these people are not interested in workers or our rights, simply getting a return on the investment

I am not sure this is short slighted, we talk about taking back control but how can we do that selling off our assets to European countries like the French?

Not that I have any business sense but if feels counter productive to me."

It's similar to the con that privatisation of the utilities and national infrastructure that started under Thatcher and continued under Blair etc benefits the 'ordinary working man/woman'..

When the reality as we've seen is other governments and hedge funds profit from such and the ordinary man/woman is fleeced in rising prices that outweigh any shares they were able to buy at the time if they still hold them..

Ealing

Not that I have any business sense but if feels counter productive to me."

. However in this case hedge funds do not enter the equation. In any event a hedge is simply a gamble and of no interest to any long term investor .

The company acquiring Wincanton are Ceva Logistics who have 110,000 employees operating over 1300 facilities in more than 170 countries . Ceva Logistics is part of CMA CCM Group a world leader in shipping and logistics.

The fact that CMA have offered a 50 % premium on the previous closing share price would tend to indicate the they regared Wincnton as a well run company with a bright future .

Any driver or employee who joined the share option / save scheme will be delighted with this result.

Most shareholders are ordinary working people who are simply setting aside some money for their retirement.

In this case a prudent approach has paid a long term dividend.

In addition to the above Wincanton had a taxation charge of £5 million so a further contribution to the UK in addition to providing employment for in excess of 21,000 workers

Brighton

Not that I have any business sense but if feels counter productive to me.. However in this case hedge funds do not enter the equation. In any event a hedge is simply a gamble and of no interest to any long term investor .

The company acquiring Wincanton are Ceva Logistics who have 110,000 employees operating over 1300 facilities in more than 170 countries . Ceva Logistics is part of CMA CCM Group a world leader in shipping and logistics.

The fact that CMA have offered a 50 % premium on the previous closing share price would tend to indicate the they regared Wincnton as a well run company with a bright future .

Any driver or employee who joined the share option / save scheme will be delighted with this result.

Most shareholders are ordinary working people who are simply setting aside some money for their retirement.

In this case a prudent approach has paid a long term dividend.

In addition to the above Wincanton had a taxation charge of £5 million so a further contribution to the UK in addition to providing employment for in excess of 21,000 workers "

You really should have kept the Truckers alter ego going Pat

By *enSiskoMan 14 weeks ago

Cestus 3

Solent Green, it's people, it's people goddam you all.

By *irldnCouple 14 weeks ago

Brighton

Solent Green, it's people, it's people goddam you all."

You gotta love those 70s dystopian sci fi films/novels (well I do)

Cestus 3

You gotta love those 70s dystopian sci fi films/novels (well I do) "

Of course I do, can't beat a bit of Heston.

By (user no longer on site) 14 weeks ago

Solent Green, it's people, it's people goddam you all."

(SOYLENT Green),

you mean....?!?

Brighton

(SOYLENT Green),

you mean....?!? "

Quite right.

70s American Cinema was excellent.

Cestus 3

(SOYLENT Green),

you mean....?!?

Quite right.

70s American Cinema was excellent."

no matter how it is spelt, it is still people.

Taxes must be lowered

Especially corporation tax to 5% for those headquartered in the UK

Brighton

"Taxes must be lowered

Especially corporation tax to 5% for those headquartered in the UK"

Disagree.

We need to balance competitiveness with ensuring sufficient tax revenues to run the country. I think, like income tax, there should be progressive tax bands for corporation tax (this will also encourage start ups and avoid cliff edge). Being competitive will encourage onshoring, though offshore tax haven HQs will still be a problem.

So as an example,

Gross Pre-Tax Profit up to £50k = 5%

£50k-£100k = 10%

£100k-£500k = 15%

£500k + = 20%

Would also raise VAT registered turnover threshold to £100k.

Would also tackle offshoring by taxing on revenues generated in the UK with no allowance to pay royalties or IP payments to a bogus HQ based in a tax haven making the UK operation appear to be loss making when really it isn’t.

By *AFKA HovisMan 14 weeks ago

Sindon Swingdon Swindon

"Taxes must be lowered

Disagree.

We need to balance competitiveness with ensuring sufficient tax revenues to run the country. I think, like income tax, there should be progressive tax bands for corporation tax (this will also encourage start ups and avoid cliff edge). Being competitive will encourage onshoring, though offshore tax haven HQs will still be a problem.

So as an example,

£50k-£100k = 10%

£100k-£500k = 15%

£500k + = 20%

Would also tackle offshoring by taxing on revenues generated in the UK with no allowance to pay royalties or IP payments to a bogus HQ based in a tax haven making the UK operation appear to be loss making when really it isn’t."

I agree with a revenue tax but maybe at very high levels or revenue and possibly as a maximum of revenue tax and corporation tax.

By *oo hotCouple 14 weeks ago

North West

"Taxes must be lowered

Disagree.

So as an example,

£50k-£100k = 10%

£100k-£500k = 15%

£500k + = 20%

Would also tackle offshoring by taxing on revenues generated in the UK with no allowance to pay royalties or IP payments to a bogus HQ based in a tax haven making the UK operation appear to be loss making when really it isn’t."

In my opinion, the VAT threshold is a big factor in the country’s productivity issue and it always will be as long as there is a ceiling. The self-employed, traders, retailers and others will only ever be incentivised to work to the ceiling level as even going just over it will land them with a ton of excess paperwork and responsibilities.

I think that the VAT threshold should be removed entirely so that everyone is playing by the same rules from the outset.

By *oolyCoolyCplCouple 14 weeks ago

Newcastle under Lyme

Pension pots have recovered and been increasing again over the last few months. If you regularly check yours every few months go and have a look now.

By *verysmileMan 14 weeks ago

CANTERBURY

"Taxes must be lowered

Disagree.

So as an example,

£50k-£100k = 10%

£100k-£500k = 15%

£500k + = 20%

Would also tackle offshoring by taxing on revenues generated in the UK with no allowance to pay royalties or IP payments to a bogus HQ based in a tax haven making the UK operation appear to be loss making when really it isn’t.

In my opinion, the VAT threshold is a big factor in the country’s productivity issue and it always will be as long as there is a ceiling. The self-employed, traders, retailers and others will only ever be incentivised to work to the ceiling level as even going just over it will land them with a ton of excess paperwork and responsibilities.

I think that the VAT threshold should be removed entirely so that everyone is playing by the same rules from the outset.

"

Wouldn't that kill small businesses and serve as a disincentive to begin trading?

Also, the cost of administration would be prohibitive.

Finally, where would you draw the line....if someone sells more than a couple of items on Ebay perhaps?

I don't believe this is a starter nor am I convinced that it should be.

North West

"Taxes must be lowered

Disagree.

So as an example,

£50k-£100k = 10%

£100k-£500k = 15%

£500k + = 20%

Wouldn't that kill small businesses and serve as a disincentive to begin trading?

Finally, where would you draw the line....if someone sells more than a couple of items on Ebay perhaps?

I don't believe this is a starter nor am I convinced that it should be. "

Most European countries have much lower VAT thresholds than we do and some (as per my post) don’t have a threshold at all - everyone registers. Ireland is similar to ours with goods , but much less for services.

It doesn’t seem to harm small businesses in Europe having low, or no thresholds.

Brighton

"Taxes must be lowered

Disagree.

So as an example,

£50k-£100k = 10%

£100k-£500k = 15%

£500k + = 20%

Most European countries have much lower VAT thresholds than we do and some (as per my post) don’t have a threshold at all - everyone registers. Ireland is similar to ours with goods , but much less for services.

It doesn’t seem to harm small businesses in Europe having low, or no thresholds."

I’m going to (politely) disagree. As per my post in the quote, I would raise the VAT threshold to a point where I think the turnover is sufficient to accept the additional admin cost/time. We need to encourage/help small/start ups IMO if we want to encourage growth and entrepreneurialism in the UK.

"Taxes must be lowered

Disagree.

So as an example,

£50k-£100k = 10%

£100k-£500k = 15%

£500k + = 20%

It doesn’t seem to harm small businesses in Europe having low, or no thresholds.

I’m going to (politely) disagree. As per my post in the quote, I would raise the VAT threshold to a point where I think the turnover is sufficient to accept the additional admin cost/time. We need to encourage/help small/start ups IMO if we want to encourage growth and entrepreneurialism in the UK."

We don’t. We just want to do what the EU does because its economy is booming.

Unlike Brexshit Britain which is doomed.

Brighton

"Taxes must be lowered

Disagree.

So as an example,

£50k-£100k = 10%

£100k-£500k = 15%

£500k + = 20%

I’m going to (politely) disagree. As per my post in the quote, I would raise the VAT threshold to a point where I think the turnover is sufficient to accept the additional admin cost/time. We need to encourage/help small/start ups IMO if we want to encourage growth and entrepreneurialism in the UK.

We don’t. We just want to do what the EU does because its economy is booming.

Unlike Brexshit Britain which is doomed."

Are you alright Rog? Need to talk? A hug?

North West

"Taxes must be lowered

Disagree.

So as an example,

£50k-£100k = 10%

£100k-£500k = 15%

£500k + = 20%

I’m going to (politely) disagree. As per my post in the quote, I would raise the VAT threshold to a point where I think the turnover is sufficient to accept the additional admin cost/time. We need to encourage/help small/start ups IMO if we want to encourage growth and entrepreneurialism in the UK."

Why do you think it will encourage start ups when all it is doing at the moment is restricting productivity?

Just think it through a bit more. I can understand arguing that it shouldn’t be zero, but even reducing it by half would massively uplift productivity as all the people who stop working when their turnover hits around £80000 would have no reason to stop.

Brighton

"Taxes must be lowered

Disagree.

So as an example,

£50k-£100k = 10%

£100k-£500k = 15%

£500k + = 20%

Why do you think it will encourage start ups when all it is doing at the moment is restricting productivity?

Just think it through a bit more. I can understand arguing that it shouldn’t be zero, but even reducing it by half would massively uplift productivity as all the people who stop working when their turnover hits around £80000 would have no reason to stop."

Not sure I fully follow but do you think raising it to £100k is going to stop people working? At that level of turnover the admin is more worth it (due to VAT reclaimable) and it isn’t a completely arbitrary number. Incidentally the £84k (or whatever turnover level it is now) is the threshold at which you MUST be VAT registered. However, you can register before you hit that. Wonder how many do?

North West

"Taxes must be lowered

Disagree.

So as an example,

£50k-£100k = 10%

£100k-£500k = 15%

£500k + = 20%

Just think it through a bit more. I can understand arguing that it shouldn’t be zero, but even reducing it by half would massively uplift productivity as all the people who stop working when their turnover hits around £80000 would have no reason to stop.

Not sure I fully follow but do you think raising it to £100k is going to stop people working? At that level of turnover the admin is more worth it (due to VAT reclaimable) and it isn’t a completely arbitrary number. Incidentally the £84k (or whatever turnover level it is now) is the threshold at which you MUST be VAT registered. However, you can register before you hit that. Wonder how many do?"

If your sales products are zero rated, but have large expenses it is definitely worth registering.

The only reason people say that it encourages start ups is because there is less paperwork involved and new startups can charge less for their products.

The problem is that once their turnover hits around 80k they stop working and that hampers productivity in general.

Most countries have a very low VAT registration threshold (for some there is no threshold). The argument there is that everyone who truly is “in business” is playing to the same rules and there is no disinsentive to stop working at an arbitrary point some time on the tax year.

There is of course the added national benefit that the lower the vat threshold, the more tax is collected.

» Add a new message to this topic