FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > Politics > Military conscription

Military conscription

Jump to: Newest in thread

By (user no longer on site) OP    15 weeks ago

The Head of the British Army is suggesting that there may need to be some general call up of the public in the event of war with Russia.

He says at the moment he is not calling for conscription, but maybe that will change.

This doesn’t exactly suggest that the war in Ukraine is going very well, though he may just be another public sector worker catastrophising for some more cash and a bigger share of the tax pie.

Ignoring the fact that 25% of the population are obese so the pool of “fighting fit” men and women may be fairly limited, what sort of response would the UK government get to a general mobilisation?

What values and beliefs would people think they are fighting and dying for in the trenches in a war with Russia?

Reply privately (closed, thread got too big)

By *oubleswing2019Man 15 weeks ago

Colchester

"

What values and beliefs would people think they are fighting and dying for in the trenches in a war with Russia? "

I would hope most realise that the people they are fighting are just the same as them. And it's the people right at the top of the chain who are the real enemy.

A conscripted force are just that; conscripted. To fight other people's battles. Battles not of their own choosing.

Without years of professional soldiering (and indoctrination), they are at best "cannon-fodder", poor souls. Meat for the meat-ginder. Blood for the Blood God!

By (user no longer on site) 15 weeks ago

"

What values and beliefs would people think they are fighting and dying for in the trenches in a war with Russia?

I would hope most realise that the people they are fighting are just the same as them. And it's the people right at the top of the chain who are the real enemy.

A conscripted force are just that; conscripted. To fight other people's battles. Battles not of their own choosing.

Without years of professional soldiering (and indoctrination), they are at best "cannon-fodder", poor souls. Meat for the meat-ginder. Blood for the Blood God!"

This - in a nutshell. Conscription gives you unwilling bodies who are poorly trained for a skilled role. An ineffective army.

I’m not sure if I’d be too old to be called up in my early 40’s, but I’d stay home and deal with the consequences. I’m not killing another human being on the whim of a politician.

Colchester

"

This - in a nutshell. Conscription gives you unwilling bodies who are poorly trained for a skilled role. An ineffective army.

I’m not sure if I’d be too old to be called up in my early 40’s, but I’d stay home and deal with the consequences. I’m not killing another human being on the whim of a politician."

Sun Tzu said "know the enemy and know yourself, in a hundred battles you will never be in peril.

When you are ignorant of the enemy but know yourself, your chances of winning or losing are equal.

If ignorant both of your enemy and of yourself, you are certain in every battle to be in peril."

Realising the enemy is just the same as you, breaks the battle. (Professional soldiers have that empathy suppressed and trained out of them).

It's one of the reasons why conscripts are such a hazard on the battlefield, to both their "supposed" enemy and also their own side.

By *aidForSharingWoman 15 weeks ago

Lancs

The army are being given the lowdown on Russia's MO, equipment and general current state of affairs. Bit alarming!

Get drafted to fight a war for a country that hates me while all the women get shipped off to safe countries?

No thanks. I’d just flee to another country. I’m not dying for this country

By *irldnCouple 15 weeks ago

Brighton

"

Without years of professional soldiering (and indoctrination), they are at best "cannon-fodder", poor souls. Meat for the meat-ginder. Blood for the Blood God!"

Khorne reference!

By *ouple in LancashireCouple 15 weeks ago

in Lancashire

"The army are being given the lowdown on Russia's MO, equipment and general current state of affairs. Bit alarming!"

I would be more alarmed if they weren't..

By *uddy laneMan 15 weeks ago

dudley

What is the going hourly rate for a squaddi these days.

dudley

"What is the going hourly rate for a squaddi these days. "

*squaddie.

By *I TwoCouple 15 weeks ago

all around

Time to bring back compulsory military service then there's half a chance of having reasonably trained conscripts.

But the snowflakes and karens of today's society would have kittens

By *usybee73Man 15 weeks ago

in the sticks

Usual hype, there won't be war with Russia, there won't be an out n out war with any country... we don't have resources to do so, arms, ammunition or means to get the troops there.

Used to be a force to be with feared, but since the 80s turned into a laughing stock.

By *estivalMan 15 weeks ago

borehamwood

"Time to bring back compulsory military service then there's half a chance of having reasonably trained conscripts.

But the snowflakes and karens of today's society would have kittens"

i dont think anyone would have kittens, just no one would do it, why join the armed forces of a country that dosent give a fuck about you, times have moved on, who in there right mind would go off and be told what to do

Brighton

"Time to bring back compulsory military service then there's half a chance of having reasonably trained conscripts.

You are not old enough to have experienced compulsory military service and too old for it to impact you if it was reintroduced. Always interesting when people have a view that has never and will never affect them

By *astandFeistyCouple 15 weeks ago

Bournemouth

I'm not going to fight for those c*nts. The only way I fight is if were invaded qhich is highly unlikely.

By *0shadesOfFilthMan 15 weeks ago

nearby

Probably a lot of merit in national service.

But not to be sent to a war of choice by grant shapps and parliament, the state of the under funded military not far behind other public services.

If anyone is keen Ukraine is paying £2200 a month for those with combat experience.

I’m actually not against military service for those say 18-30 not in education, training or work.

Compulsory service for all is bullshit.

all around

" Always interesting when people have a view that has never and will never affect them "

You could apply that to the vast majority of posts on these forums lol

By *idnight RamblerMan 15 weeks ago

Pershore

But the snowflakes and karens of today's society would have kittensi dont think anyone would have kittens, just no one would do it, why join the armed forces of a country that dosent give a fuck about you, times have moved on, who in there right mind would go off and be told what to do"

The brave? Somebody has to defend our freedoms to post freely on here and elsewhere. Couldn't do that in China.

borehamwood

But the snowflakes and karens of today's society would have kittensi dont think anyone would have kittens, just no one would do it, why join the armed forces of a country that dosent give a fuck about you, times have moved on, who in there right mind would go off and be told what to do

The brave? Somebody has to defend our freedoms to post freely on here and elsewhere. Couldn't do that in China."

the brave lol more like the easily fooled

But the snowflakes and karens of today's society would have kittensi dont think anyone would have kittens, just no one would do it, why join the armed forces of a country that dosent give a fuck about you, times have moved on, who in there right mind would go off and be told what to do

The brave? Somebody has to defend our freedoms to post freely on here and elsewhere. Couldn't do that in China."

Nothing brave about being sent to die against your will.

War is for trained, willing soldiers.

all around

The brave? Somebody has to defend our freedoms to post freely on here and elsewhere. Couldn't do that in China.

War is for trained, willing soldiers. "

Which is why we need national service. Some of the thugs in today's society might have went down a different path.

Which is why we need national service. Some of the thugs in today's society might have went down a different path."

Forcing people to do things against their will isn’t the solution.

If you’re unemployed, not in training or education? Sure, military service might be an option. But forcing people who want to do other things with their life? Nah uh.

If my kids want to join the military I’ll support them 100%

If the government want to force my kids into the military, they’re in for a long wild goose chase to find them

By *adies underwear admirerMan 15 weeks ago

The Shore, Leith.

Having served for many years with the Paras & in many theatres I would be against sharing in a conflict with poorly trained conscripts. It takes years of hard slog & determination to be a soldier which I feel would be lacking, especially if they don’t want to be in battle. It’s a scary business.

By *oversfunCouple 15 weeks ago

ayrshire

"If my kids want to join the military I’ll support them 100%

If the government want to force my kids into the military, they’re in for a long wild goose chase to find them "

im with you on that,my kids are too old but i can guarantee my grandkids will not be joining no armed forces

Bournemouth

If the government want to force my kids into the military, they’re in for a long wild goose chase to find them im with you on that,my kids are too old but i can guarantee my grandkids will not be joining no armed forces"

Not even if they opt to?

ayrshire

If the government want to force my kids into the military, they’re in for a long wild goose chase to find them im with you on that,my kids are too old but i can guarantee my grandkids will not be joining no armed forces

Not even if they opt to?"

ic you maybe take the time to read my reply,it says im with you agreeing with the above poster

Bournemouth

If the government want to force my kids into the military, they’re in for a long wild goose chase to find them im with you on that,my kids are too old but i can guarantee my grandkids will not be joining no armed forces

Not even if they opt to?ic you maybe take the time to read my reply,it says im with you agreeing with the above poster "

Yes it did, and then it said...

"I can guarantee my grandkids will not be joining no armed forces"

Hence the need for clarification

By *idnight RamblerMan 15 weeks ago

Pershore

Which is why we need national service. Some of the thugs in today's society might have went down a different path.

If you’re unemployed, not in training or education? Sure, military service might be an option. But forcing people who want to do other things with their life? Nah uh."

I've worked in countries with conscription (Denmark, Singapore). Conscripts seemed proud to 'do their duty' and appeared to me all the better for the experience.

By *ebauchedDeviantsPt2Couple 15 weeks ago

Cumbria

Someone too old to do compulsory military service thinks people young enough should have to do it, shocker!

If you’re unemployed, not in training or education? Sure, military service might be an option. But forcing people who want to do other things with their life? Nah uh.

I've worked in countries with conscription (Denmark, Singapore). Conscripts seemed proud to 'do their duty' and appeared to me all the better for the experience. "

How many did you speak to? Bear in mind that the military usually do a pretty good job of brainwashing troops (that’s not a slur, it’s a part of creating an effective soldier)

ayrshire

Not even if they opt to?ic you maybe take the time to read my reply,it says im with you agreeing with the above poster

Hence the need for clarification"

The clarification is me agreeing with the comment that said , IF MY KIDS WANT TO JOIN THE ARMED FORCES IL SUPPORT THEM 100% is that enough clarifaction for you ?

Bournemouth

Not even if they opt to?ic you maybe take the time to read my reply,it says im with you agreeing with the above poster

The clarification is me agreeing with the comment that said , IF MY KIDS WANT TO JOIN THE ARMED FORCES IL SUPPORT THEM 100% is that enough clarifaction for you ?"

You don't need to shout bud. It was a simple question.

ayrshire

The clarification is me agreeing with the comment that said , IF MY KIDS WANT TO JOIN THE ARMED FORCES IL SUPPORT THEM 100% is that enough clarifaction for you ?

You don't need to shout bud. It was a simple question. "

if you read it i wouldnt need to shout

Cumbria

It is estimated that in WW2 only 15-20% of infantrymen ever fired their weapons, of these the majority fired over the heads of their ‘enemies’, such was their reluctance to kill.

There were somewhere in the region of 45,000 bullets fired for every combatant killed by gunfire.

When it comes down to it people really don’t want to kill other people, I’d suggest having pretty much everyone desensitised to the point they are happy to kill their ‘enemy’ is not a recipe for a peaceful and harmonious society.

ayrshire

"It is estimated that in WW2 only 15-20% of infantrymen ever fired their weapons, of these the majority fired over the heads of their ‘enemies’, such was their reluctance to kill.

There were somewhere in the region of 45,000 bullets fired for every combatant killed by gunfire.

When it comes down to it people really don’t want to kill other people, I’d suggest having pretty much everyone desensitised to the point they are happy to kill their ‘enemy’ is not a recipe for a peaceful and harmonious society."

By *alibra57Man 15 weeks ago

Southampton

So they want all the Brits to go off to war for our country and that will leave our borders more open for all the boat guys coming in to do whatever they want.

Wait they already do.

Bournemouth

You don't need to shout bud. It was a simple question. if you read it i wouldnt need to shout"

Fucking hell mate, you made contradictory statements and I asked for clarification. Maybe take some time out before you give yourself a hernia.

Can you imagine all the snowflakes and youngsters these days getting called up they would refuse our country in a war scenario would be over run within 3 months just not due to that but we do not have the production or capability to make parts weapons ammunition or vehicles and if trump gets in and pulls out of NATO we can't even afford enough weaponry

Cumbria

"Can you imagine all the snowflakes and youngsters these days getting called up they would refuse our country in a war scenario would be over run within 3 months just not due to that but we do not have the production or capability to make parts weapons ammunition or vehicles and if trump gets in and pulls out of NATO we can't even afford enough weaponry "

It’s ok, you’ll be able to volunteer and save us all.

ayrshire

You don't need to shout bud. It was a simple question. if you read it i wouldnt need to shout

Fucking hell mate, you made contradictory statements and I asked for clarification. Maybe take some time out before you give yourself a hernia. "

I left a clear comment,but if cant understand that then thats your problem

"Can you imagine all the snowflakes and youngsters these days getting called up they would refuse our country in a war scenario would be over run within 3 months just not due to that but we do not have the production or capability to make parts weapons ammunition or vehicles and if trump gets in and pulls out of NATO we can't even afford enough weaponry "

I doubt they would refuse when the reality of the situation steps in.Part of the problem we will face is stopping them being too enthusiastic.

The state of the arms industry in our country is a problem we should never have joined the Americans fighter program.We must rebuild our domestic arms industry and our fleet.

"Can you imagine all the snowflakes and youngsters these days getting called up they would refuse our country in a war scenario would be over run within 3 months just not due to that but we do not have the production or capability to make parts weapons ammunition or vehicles and if trump gets in and pulls out of NATO we can't even afford enough weaponry

It’s ok, you’ll be able to volunteer and save us all."

Wouldn't waste my time or life trying to save this country or the people init I'd let the Russians walk right in and trump says he can end the war in Ukraine in 24hrs.. he does this by pulling usa out of nato then that leaves poland as the strongest military in Europe once there gone that's it for Europe

"Can you imagine all the snowflakes and youngsters these days getting called up they would refuse our country in a war scenario would be over run within 3 months just not due to that but we do not have the production or capability to make parts weapons ammunition or vehicles and if trump gets in and pulls out of NATO we can't even afford enough weaponry

I doubt they would refuse when the reality of the situation steps in.Part of the problem we will face is stopping them being too enthusiastic.

The state of the arms industry in our country is a problem we should never have joined the Americans fighter program.We must rebuild our domestic arms industry and our fleet."

This will never happen as not enough people to operate/work in factories because youngsters are not interested in have a manual job anymore they all want to be youtubers or influencers

nearby

Listening to this top brass boarding school wanker Sir Patrick Nicholas Yardley Monrad Sanders KCB CBE DSO ADC plus other honarary appointments, who suggests conscription, it sounds like the only thing he ever shot was his load

Plus we only have 200 operational main battle tanks which in a full war scenario is nothing, and no means to produce the quantity needed, the navy has had its lowest sign up rate since it started which is worrying as we are an Island without a navy pretty much

By *iman2100Man 15 weeks ago

Glasgow

"Get drafted to fight a war for a country that hates me while all the women get shipped off to safe countries?

No thanks. I’d just flee to another country. I’m not dying for this country "

The whole country hates you? OMG! you mean, all 67.33 million of them? That is some heavyweight paranoia going on there.

Glasgow

If/when Putin and his pals (China, N.Korea, Iran and India) turn up at Calais I think anyone capable of walking will be called on to defend us.

Sadly, after reading some of the arguably selfish, defeatest, "not me", comments above, I can imagine the Greatest Generation, many of whom fought and died for our freedom in the 1939/1945 war, will be spinning in their graves.

No one wants war but if it comes the whole population must respond.

By *alibra57Man 15 weeks ago

Southampton

Dont panic Dont panic the dont like it uppem

By *allguynowMan 15 weeks ago

durham

Don't tell him pike!!

all around

Someone too old to do compulsory military service thinks people young enough should have to do it, shocker!"

Absolutely

Do you see it as some sort of punishment for youth or an opportunity for many to better themselves?

It's not about sending them to war armed with bayonets lol

Cumbria

Someone too old to do compulsory military service thinks people young enough should have to do it, shocker!

Absolutely

Do you see it as some sort of punishment for youth or an opportunity for many to better themselves?

It's not about sending them to war armed with bayonets lol"

If it is forced on them then it is a punishment.

Absolutely

It's not about sending them to war armed with bayonets lol"

So if someone is already in work or training, bettering themselves, there’d be no need for them to have national service.

in Lancashire

What are the other alternatives if the shit hits the fan?

Not suggesting that if Russia did take on NATO we as an island would be having to fight an invasion but we have had major cuts in all areas of defence after the Berlin wall fell etc..

And Russia has increased its output by some estimates 25/40% in the last couple of years..

The cost post cold war era is over and we are in uncertain times..

"What are the other alternatives if the shit hits the fan?

Not suggesting that if Russia did take on NATO we as an island would be having to fight an invasion but we have had major cuts in all areas of defence after the Berlin wall fell etc..

And Russia has increased its output by some estimates 25/40% in the last couple of years..

The cost post cold war era is over and we are in uncertain times.."

Russia’s strength is in weight of numbers. They’re technology limited, their GPS equivalent is patchy and unreliable (and like all satellites, susceptible to attack).

They’d be off their rocker to attack a NATO country. It would see them destroyed.

in Lancashire

"What are the other alternatives if the shit hits the fan?

The cost post cold war era is over and we are in uncertain times..

Russia’s strength is in weight of numbers. They’re technology limited, their GPS equivalent is patchy and unreliable (and like all satellites, susceptible to attack).

They’d be off their rocker to attack a NATO country. It would see them destroyed."

They've always had that ideology of massive ground forces, overwhelming by sheer numbers regardless of the toll..

Yes they probably would be but they have a leader at present who is possibly capable and has shown in the way internal political opposition, free press and any other mantra than the west are out to destroy mother Russia etc ..

History shows us that when we think an unstable dictator won't do something utterly stupid they tend to do the opposite..

Colchester

I'd like to think that the young from all sides in a future conflict, when faced with call up or conscription, would take a moment to look up from whatever latest craze has grabbed their attention on Tik-Tok or Instagram, or wherever, and say, "Nah mate, I ain't doing shit. Not my circus, not my monkeys."

And the leaders of the nations will think, "Hmm. They don't want to fight. We are screwed."

If you don't have your people behind you, you are done. You are back to relying on professional soldiers, and it'd be interesting to see how they feel knowing their own people don't support them. If they capitulate, your opportunity to prosecute war is over.

And if enough people on all sides had the same mindset, war is neutralised by public apathy.

War is only desired by those with skin in the game, and that is not the wee folk.

By *lixerMan 15 weeks ago

Glasgow

I'd serve time rather than wear the uniform of this fucking disunited kingdom.

[Removed by poster at 25/01/24 02:27:10]

Brighton

" Always interesting when people have a view that has never and will never affect them

You could apply that to the vast majority of posts on these forums lol"

That’s a fair point actually

Brighton

Wouldn't waste my time or life trying to save this country or the people init I'd let the Russians walk right in and trump says he can end the war in Ukraine in 24hrs.. he does this by pulling usa out of nato then that leaves poland as the strongest military in Europe once there gone that's it for Europe "

Citing VIETNAM DRAFT DODGER TRUMP is pretty funny in the context of this thread!

By *uckoldDesiresMan 15 weeks ago

Dublin

"The Head of the British Army is suggesting that there may need to be some general call up of the public in the event of war with Russia.

He says at the moment he is not calling for conscription, but maybe that will change.

This doesn’t exactly suggest that the war in Ukraine is going very well, though he may just be another public sector worker catastrophising for some more cash and a bigger share of the tax pie.

Ignoring the fact that 25% of the population are obese so the pool of “fighting fit” men and women may be fairly limited, what sort of response would the UK government get to a general mobilisation?

What values and beliefs would people think they are fighting and dying for in the trenches in a war with Russia? "

I thought Britain was awash with military age males now??

"Get drafted to fight a war for a country that hates me while all the women get shipped off to safe countries?

No thanks. I’d just flee to another country. I’m not dying for this country "

So it’s ok to live in this country that hates you? Why would you stay in a country that hates you so much?

"Wouldn't waste my time or life trying to save this country or the people init I'd let the Russians walk right in and trump says he can end the war in Ukraine in 24hrs.. he does this by pulling usa out of nato then that leaves poland as the strongest military in Europe once there gone that's it for Europe "

Everything Donald Trump knows about war was learned from watching tv. The guy is a draft-dodger, a rapist and a bullshitter.

You’d need to be real fucking idiot to put your faith in Trump.

borehamwood

"Wouldn't waste my time or life trying to save this country or the people init I'd let the Russians walk right in and trump says he can end the war in Ukraine in 24hrs.. he does this by pulling usa out of nato then that leaves poland as the strongest military in Europe once there gone that's it for Europe

Everything Donald Trump knows about war was learned from watching tv. The guy is a draft-dodger, a rapist and a bullshitter.

You’d need to be real fucking idiot to put your faith in Trump."

i take it you dont like him then

"Wouldn't waste my time or life trying to save this country or the people init I'd let the Russians walk right in and trump says he can end the war in Ukraine in 24hrs.. he does this by pulling usa out of nato then that leaves poland as the strongest military in Europe once there gone that's it for Europe

You’d need to be real fucking idiot to put your faith in Trump.i take it you dont like him then"

I’m lean towards the “Trump is a cunt” camp more than the MAGA crowd.

What I find so disappointing is that a country so vast and diverse can distill its leadership choices down to 2 fairly distasteful people (I’m not a Biden fan either)

borehamwood

You’d need to be real fucking idiot to put your faith in Trump.i take it you dont like him then

What I find so disappointing is that a country so vast and diverse can distill its leadership choices down to 2 fairly distasteful people (I’m not a Biden fan either)"

i meen not my country so i couldnt vote for either, only reason d like to see him back in office is i think it would be the final nudge that would break america for good, sooner there not the worlds bully any more the better as far as im concerned

You’d need to be real fucking idiot to put your faith in Trump.i take it you dont like him then

What I find so disappointing is that a country so vast and diverse can distill its leadership choices down to 2 fairly distasteful people (I’m not a Biden fan either)i meen not my country so i couldnt vote for either, only reason d like to see him back in office is i think it would be the final nudge that would break america for good, sooner there not the worlds bully any more the better as far as im concerned"

Plus we won't be the mugs that follow them like a lap dog.

Brighton

What I find so disappointing is that a country so vast and diverse can distill its leadership choices down to 2 fairly distasteful people (I’m not a Biden fan either)"

Someone should start a line of TIAC baseball caps!

By *erry bull1Man 15 weeks ago

doncaster

Served my time in the Army and won’t go back , bear in mind when all the young men are conscripted and sent away to killed , the immigrants are already waiting in the wings to take the Uk

"Served my time in the Army and won’t go back , bear in mind when all the young men are conscripted and sent away to killed , the immigrants are already waiting in the wings to take the Uk "

Mate, they've already got the UK they're piling in

"Served my time in the Army and won’t go back , bear in mind when all the young men are conscripted and sent away to killed , the immigrants are already waiting in the wings to take the Uk "

Are they? They’re not doing a very good job of it, given how many were told arrive every day. Have they even established an outpost yet?

"Served my time in the Army and won’t go back , bear in mind when all the young men are conscripted and sent away to killed , the immigrants are already waiting in the wings to take the Uk

Are they? They’re not doing a very good job of it, given how many were told arrive every day. Have they even established an outpost yet? "

? Read the news.. it's a door wide open policy for both legal and illegal migrants. Illegal migrants have been allowed to work in caring, farming and building FFS.

The only advantage I can see of conscription in the event of war with Russia is that the population of the UK will drop by millions overnight as every “refugee”, “asylum seeker” and anyone with any connections abroad rushes for the door.

Obviously this means there will be no one to clean houses and wait tables and make the coffee which will be a huge inconvenience and enough to elicit surrender in our major conurbations within a couple of weeks.

Add to that the obese, people who claim to be physically and mentally unwell and unable to work, the usual array of “key workers” etc and there will hardly be anyone left to conscript anyway.

Not surprising that in Ukraine the army is full of old poor people. The rest have either left the country or bribed their way out of service.

We only have a 70k army present any they will conscript will not be efficiently equipped or trained due to the lack of personnel will will only last 3 months in all out war

By *elanie de la CoeurTV/TS 15 weeks ago

Dublin

Let the sons and daughters of those in government be the first to be called up or better still those in power themselves.

"Let the sons and daughters of those in government be the first to be called up or better still those in power themselves."

They never needed to be called up here in the past.They joined immediately

Suppose things might have changed now

Back to the original thread.. no I wouldn't join up. All the latest wars have been to save oil magnates assets, lies to overthrow governments, and a war and invasion in Afghanistan because the US wanted to kill one man... ONE man!

We now have our people risking their lives over Yemen for profits and the £.

There are no justified wars going on at the moment, just profit based and materialistic wars and political machinations

By *otMe66Man 15 weeks ago

Terra Firma

"Back to the original thread.. no I wouldn't join up. All the latest wars have been to save oil magnates assets, lies to overthrow governments, and a war and invasion in Afghanistan because the US wanted to kill one man... ONE man!

We now have our people risking their lives over Yemen for profits and the £.

There are no justified wars going on at the moment, just profit based and materialistic wars and political machinations "

War is war, roll over and die as a tribe or not. There is little room for friendliness

By *uietbloke67Man 15 weeks ago

outside your bedroom window ;-)

Your 36 young enough.. join up

By *wosmilersCouple 15 weeks ago

Heathrowish

It begs the question, what are you prepared to join up to defend (not attack...defend)?

By *ust RachelTV/TS 15 weeks ago

Eastbourne

I tried to join the force when I was 16, due to a life lasting injury I couldn't join up.

I am all for mandatory service, even if the force don't leave this country it will instill a bit of discipline.

We might not face the levels of crime on the streets that we have now, as most of the people in that would causing ttouble would be in the forces.

By *uietbloke67Man 15 weeks ago

outside your bedroom window ;-)

[Removed by poster at 25/01/24 23:39:06]

Your 36 young enough.. join up "

Done my bit, and I wouldn't rush to the aid of the british public or it's government,the way our forces where treated after Afghanistan was an absolute joke if only the media coverage of how bad was showed

Send in the asylum seekers first

Then the jobless dole dossers

By *heffielderCouple 15 weeks ago

sheffield

Wouldn't waste my time or life trying to save this country or the people init I'd let the Russians walk right in and trump says he can end the war in Ukraine in 24hrs.. he does this by pulling usa out of nato then that leaves poland as the strongest military in Europe once there gone that's it for Europe "

Poland the most strongest military in Europe?? When France and the UK have nuclear weapons..

Wouldn't waste my time or life trying to save this country or the people init I'd let the Russians walk right in and trump says he can end the war in Ukraine in 24hrs.. he does this by pulling usa out of nato then that leaves poland as the strongest military in Europe once there gone that's it for Europe

Poland the most strongest military in Europe?? When France and the UK have nuclear weapons.. "

Equipment and ground troops yes they are the biggest even have more then double tanks, artillery, troops, France and UK would never use nuclear weapons so their a redundant item

By *icolerobbieCouple 15 weeks ago

walsall

Be interesting to see in this age of equality whether it will be just men that would be conscripted or women as well.

By *erri_kissesTV/TS 15 weeks ago

Islington

‘tHe SnOwFaKeS & tHe KaReNs’

Don’t be flinging Karen onto us, that’s your mum/missus/sister/you by the sounds of the cured meat bollox you just came out with

Brighton

Your 36 young enough.. join up

Done my bit, and I wouldn't rush to the aid of the british public or it's government,the way our forces where treated after Afghanistan was an absolute joke if only the media coverage of how bad was showed

Send in the asylum seekers first

Then the jobless dole dossers"

Thank you for your service. You are right to be angry as ex-servicemen are not properly looked after and it is a joke the lack of respect and support they get when they leave the forces. But I think you should direct your anger at the Govt not the people of the country.

Freedom isn’t free. It was earned by our predecessors. We shouldn’t be naive and give up the freedoms we have, because we’ll be a lot less free under Putin.

If you have a conscientious objection, check out how the Russians have been treating them.

If you think our politicians are cunts then you’re right, but we wouldn’t be fighting for them and Russian politicians are much worse.

Sometimes you have to get off your arse and fight to keep what you’ve got.

"Freedom isn’t free. It was earned by our predecessors. We shouldn’t be naive and give up the freedoms we have, because we’ll be a lot less free under Putin.

If you have a conscientious objection, check out how the Russians have been treating them.

If you think our politicians are cunts then you’re right, but we wouldn’t be fighting for them and Russian politicians are much worse.

Sometimes you have to get off your arse and fight to keep what you’ve got."

Our first volunteer!

The Press Gang is on its way!

Good luck comrade!

borehamwood

"Freedom isn’t free. It was earned by our predecessors. We shouldn’t be naive and give up the freedoms we have, because we’ll be a lot less free under Putin.

Sometimes you have to get off your arse and fight to keep what you’ve got."

crack on mate, i hear the ukraine could do with some more fresh meat, im sure they would welcome you with open arms

Cumbria

Mad how it’s the people who are above conscription age who are so keen to have people forced into the army.

dudley

"Mad how it’s the people who are above conscription age who are so keen to have people forced into the army."

Yeah but years of playing cod will put them in good stead for the crapping in the trench and the fizz of the lead.

Sometimes you have to get off your arse and fight to keep what you’ve got.crack on mate, i hear the ukraine could do with some more fresh meat, im sure they would welcome you with open arms"

I’ll book you a plane ticket too. Mines a return ticket though.

Cumbria

"Mad how it’s the people who are above conscription age who are so keen to have people forced into the army.

Yeah but years of playing cod will put them in good stead for the crapping in the trench and the fizz of the lead. "

There are none so brave as those who will put others in the face of dangers they know they themselves will never have to face.

By *ophieslutTV/TS 15 weeks ago

Central

Services are already decimated, so this is a non-starter, unless people are willing to have further cuts. It would take money that there's no willingness to give it.

Cumbria

If we ignore the views of all the armchair generals who are wanking off over the thoughts of a war other people will have to fight, then it’s just the armed forces using a retired general to try and push the exchequer into giving them more cash.

nearby

"Mad how it’s the people who are above conscription age who are so keen to have people forced into the army."

Akin to brexit, two thirds of oldies who voted wanted it

One third of you gets who voted against it

"Mad how it’s the people who are above conscription age who are so keen to have people forced into the army.

"

More young people could have signed up to vote then.I also know plenty of young people around here who voted Brexit and older people that voted remain

Brighton

More young people could have signed up to vote then.I also know plenty of young people around here who voted Brexit and older people that voted remain"

The research and polling done at the time clearly showed that the young predominantly voted or supported Remain and the old predominantly voted or supported Leave. The former experience more impact for longer than the latter as a result of Brexit. Since 2016 a few million of those who voted Leave have died. Since 2016 a few million who were too young to vote have become adults. If the referendum were held today, many believe the result would be to Remain.

Terra Firma

Why do we need a huge army?

We are not part of a sprawling union that has many borders that neighbour countries we should be wary about.

We are strategically placed to deter boots on the ground attacks and if we stop giving things away, we should have enough weapons to defend from air or sea attacks.

I think modern warfare is not all about numbers of soldiers, but the effectiveness of those soldiers.

"If we ignore the views of all the armchair generals who are wanking off over the thoughts of a war other people will have to fight, then it’s just the armed forces using a retired general to try and push the exchequer into giving them more cash."

He’s not retired. He’s the current CGS.

More young people could have signed up to vote then.I also know plenty of young people around here who voted Brexit and older people that voted remain

The research and polling done at the time clearly showed that the young predominantly voted or supported Remain and the old predominantly voted or supported Leave. The former experience more impact for longer than the latter as a result of Brexit. Since 2016 a few million of those who voted Leave have died. Since 2016 a few million who were too young to vote have become adults. If the referendum were held today, many believe the result would be to Remain."

Many (including all of vote leave) thought the result would be remain in 2016 as well.

We have an older population than we did in 2016 and with the new expat rules if what you said about age is true we would be on track for another leave victory

"Why do we need a huge army?

We are not part of a sprawling union that has many borders that neighbour countries we should be wary about.

We are strategically placed to deter boots on the ground attacks and if we stop giving things away, we should have enough weapons to defend from air or sea attacks.

I think modern warfare is not all about numbers of soldiers, but the effectiveness of those soldiers.

"

Drones are cool but people are still required. Stalin said “quantity has a quality of its own” and Russian doctrine has not changed much since then. Russia is quite content to sacrifice huge numbers of its people in order capture ground as they’ve demonstrated recently in Ukraine.

We need a lot of trained people to defend against that.

nearby

The research and polling done at the time clearly showed that the young predominantly voted or supported Remain and the old predominantly voted or supported Leave. The former experience more impact for longer than the latter as a result of Brexit. Since 2016 a few million of those who voted Leave have died. Since 2016 a few million who were too young to vote have become adults. If the referendum were held today, many believe the result would be to Remain.

Many (including all of vote leave) thought the result would be remain in 2016 as well.

We have an older population than we did in 2016 and with the new expat rules if what you said about age is true we would be on track for another leave victory

"

https://yougov.co.uk/politics/articles/45910-britons-would-vote-rejoin-eu

https://yougov.co.uk/politics/articles/45910-britons-would-vote-rejoin-eu"

And what does the one before 2016 say?

I think if it were held today we would be 60/40 leave to remain which should have been the minimum threshold for leave in 2016 especially when the current government had no interest carrying a leave victory out

The research and polling done at the time clearly showed that the young predominantly voted or supported Remain and the old predominantly voted or supported Leave. The former experience more impact for longer than the latter as a result of Brexit. Since 2016 a few million of those who voted Leave have died. Since 2016 a few million who were too young to vote have become adults. If the referendum were held today, many believe the result would be to Remain."

That’s the same people who think a Labour government will be a good idea and the future is the windmill.

With age comes wisdom.

nearby

I think if it were held today we would be 60/40 leave to remain which should have been the minimum threshold for leave in 2016 especially when the current government had no interest carrying a leave victory out"

Negotiations between the UK and Canada on a post-Brexit trade deal have broken down after nearly two years, following a row over beef and cheese.

Canada has been pushing for the UK to relax a ban on hormone-treated beef, which its producers say in effect shuts them out of the British market.

Meanwhile, the UK has concerns about Canada putting import taxes of up to 245% on British cheese products.

Wrong thread but it is not going so well is it.

borehamwood

Sometimes you have to get off your arse and fight to keep what you’ve got.crack on mate, i hear the ukraine could do with some more fresh meat, im sure they would welcome you with open arms

I’ll book you a plane ticket too. Mines a return ticket though."

nah your alrite ive never been a cheer leader for them the ukies can fight there own wars and any one who supports them is free to go help, my guess is they only support them from the comfort of there armchairs though

nearby

Sometimes you have to get off your arse and fight to keep what you’ve got.crack on mate, i hear the ukraine could do with some more fresh meat, im sure they would welcome you with open arms

I’ll book you a plane ticket too. Mines a return ticket though.nah your alrite ive never been a cheer leader for them the ukies can fight there own wars and any one who supports them is free to go help, my guess is they only support them from the comfort of there armchairs though"

Most share your view, looking at uk illegal wars that killed and displaced millions. Pay back was terror attacks. Let parliaments front bench go first if they want a scrap.

By *illt400Man 15 weeks ago

liverpool

Conscription age in event of crisis in some Scandinavian countries is 16 to 70

Not every one is front line.

Other European countries still have conscription even if it is only basic training

That is what they are talking about now

Conscription in UK during WW2 was 18 to 41.

Including some women although not everyone was front line.

There will be nowhere to scuttle to if the shit hits the fan.

borehamwood

" Conscription age in event of crisis in some Scandinavian countries is 16 to 70

Not every one is front line.

Other European countries still have conscription even if it is only basic training

That is what they are talking about now

Conscription in UK during WW2 was 18 to 41.

Including some women although not everyone was front line.

There will be nowhere to scuttle to if the shit hits the fan. "

they will run out of places to lock everyone up who rufuses to fight in a war of politicians making

By *illt400Man 15 weeks ago

liverpool

Plenty of second hand rubber boats available for those who want to chance Irish Sea crossing.

By *ustABaldBeardedVikingMan 15 weeks ago

Hinckley

THE MAN HE KILLED.

"Had he and I but met

By some old ancient inn,

We should have sat us down to wet

Right many a nipperkin!

"But ranged as infantry,

And staring face to face,

I shot at him as he at me,

And killed him in his place.

"I shot him dead because —

Because he was my foe,

Just so: my foe of course he was;

That's clear enough; although

"He thought he'd 'list, perhaps,

Off-hand like — just as I —

Was out of work — had sold his traps —

No other reason why.

"Yes; quaint and curious war is!

You shoot a fellow down

You'd treat if met where any bar is,

Or help to half-a-crown."

Conscription is a sign that the generation before us has failed the generations to come, nationally and internationally.

We need to be worried about Israel and Russia, but the path that led us to them being as globally toxic as they are was laid by our governments as much as these cruel, pernicious men.

"THE MAN HE KILLED.

"Had he and I but met

By some old ancient inn,

Right many a nipperkin!

"But ranged as infantry,

Because he was my foe,

No other reason why.

You shoot a fellow down

Conscription is a sign that the generation before us has failed the generations to come, nationally and internationally.

We need to be worried about Israel and Russia, but the path that led us to them being as globally toxic as they are was laid by our governments as much as these cruel, pernicious men. "

Are you really referencing poetry as an authority document? Burns day might have been yesterday but today is definitely POETS day.

By *ustABaldBeardedVikingMan 15 weeks ago

Hinckley

"THE MAN HE KILLED.

"Had he and I but met

By some old ancient inn,

Right many a nipperkin!

"But ranged as infantry,

Because he was my foe,

No other reason why.

You shoot a fellow down

We need to be worried about Israel and Russia, but the path that led us to them being as globally toxic as they are was laid by our governments as much as these cruel, pernicious men.

Are you really referencing poetry as an authority document? Burns day might have been yesterday but today is definitely POETS day."

It's a poem that completely describes perfectly my feelings on war, and conscription for that matter. Is that okay with you? Oh wait...your opinion on that doesn't really matter, if culture upsets you maybe the internet isn't for you.

By *mudge616Man 15 weeks ago

DONCASTER

The army have just told the army reserves to stop coming in to train as they need to save money. So can't see them calling anyone to fight as they are not even allowing the reserves to train who are meant to be the first to get called up to support the regular army.

By *leasure domMan 15 weeks ago

Edinburgh

The state has no moral rights of ownership over citizens. Any politicians proposing conscription will be told to fuck right off by the younger generation, and rightly so.

Too many conscripted young men lost their lives in politicians' colonial wars of choice in Kenya, Malaya, Cyprus and Egypt, sent to defend and die for spurious interests.

Young people nowadays are better informed and enjoy instant communications. They will not put up with having their lives interrupted and endangered at the whim of politicians of very low standing.

Brighton

I think if it were held today we would be 60/40 leave to remain which should have been the minimum threshold for leave in 2016 especially when the current government had no interest carrying a leave victory out"

Agree in the 60/40 requirement but not with your hypothesis the result now would be Leave. Your point on people getting older ignores entrenched beliefs. Many of the old who voted Leave who have now died were from a post war pre-EU period. There are fewer of them now.

Glasgow

"The state has no moral rights of ownership over citizens. Any politicians proposing conscription will be told to fuck right off by the younger generation, and rightly so.

Too many conscripted young men lost their lives in politicians' colonial wars of choice in Kenya, Malaya, Cyprus and Egypt, sent to defend and die for spurious interests.

Young people nowadays are better informed and enjoy instant communications. They will not put up with having their lives interrupted and endangered at the whim of politicians of very low standing."

In the event of a clear and present danger of an invasion by hostile powers the Government of the UK will call upon its citizens to protect it. This task will inevitably fall mainly on the young.

Failure to respond will result in the rapid occupation of Britain by the hostile power. Once here the invaders will indulge in, with impunity, the same imprisonment, torture, r@pe and summary execution war crimes that the Russians did, and continue to do, in occupied Ukraine.

Presumably the "better informed young of today", who told their Government to "fuck right off", will be easy to find. The reason being, their faces will be illuminated by their mobile phone screens as they watch, on TikTok, influencers peddle makeup tips and clips of young women clapping their hands together like demented seals as they answer stupid questions no one else gives a fuck about.

Brighton

"The state has no moral rights of ownership over citizens. Any politicians proposing conscription will be told to fuck right off by the younger generation, and rightly so.

Young people nowadays are better informed and enjoy instant communications. They will not put up with having their lives interrupted and endangered at the whim of politicians of very low standing.

In the event of a clear and present danger of an invasion by hostile powers the Government of the UK will call upon its citizens to protect it. This task will inevitably fall mainly on the young.

Failure to respond will result in the rapid occupation of Britain by the hostile power. Once here the invaders will indulge in, with impunity, the same imprisonment, torture, r@pe and summary execution war crimes that the Russians did, and continue to do, in occupied Ukraine.

Presumably the "better informed young of today", who told their Government to "fuck right off", will be easy to find. The reason being, their faces will be illuminated by their mobile phone screens as they watch, on TikTok, influencers peddle makeup tips and clips of young women clapping their hands together like demented seals as they answer stupid questions no one else gives a fuck about. "

Did you spill your tea this morning?

Presumably the "better informed young of today", who told their Government to "fuck right off", will be easy to find. The reason being, their faces will be illuminated by their mobile phone screens as they watch, on TikTok, influencers peddle makeup tips and clips of young women clapping their hands together like demented seals as they answer stupid questions no one else gives a fuck about. "

I’m not sure, conscription might work the same way as it does in Ukraine.

Anyone who could get out fast enough went, often to free accommodation in Western countries. I have friends who put up a Ukrainian couple both of middle working age and both seem now to be living a much better life with better jobs than they would have had in Ukraine. The war has worked out well for them.

Anyone who was a bit slow in getting out can still bribe their way out. Or if they are stuck they can bribe their way out of service or get an exemption certificate from their employer. For many people in much of Ukraine life seems to have carried on as normal.

So the people who get conscripted are older poor people with no connections from rural towns and villages who probably can’t run fast enough when the press gang gets on the bus to see who they can cart off to the front as cannon fodder today.

Maybe that’s what will happen in the UK.

I’m not really sure myself why anyone thinks Putin wants to invade the UK. He’d probably just think it’s a shithole.

By *amish SMan 15 weeks ago

Eastleigh

Amazing, seems some like their freedoms. If you don't defend them you will have no freedoms. You might like the idea or chossing not to fight, but don't complain when your life has no freedoms and no ability to make decisions, other digging your own vegetable patch to feed your family.

Even if we were not invaded, and we don't need to be, if mainland Europe turned red then our lives would be very different and not much different to those in mainland Europe.

Cumbria

Amazing, seems some people who are too old to be conscripted think conscription is a great idea.

Terra Firma

"Amazing, seems some people who are too old to be conscripted think conscription is a great idea."

Or do older people understand that the world is a dangerous place and sometimes you need to get your hands dirty?

Or is it possibly, some people like to make connections that label others because that makes then feel better about themselves, and it validates their own views?

By *ohnnyTwoNotesMan 15 weeks ago

golden fields

"Amazing, seems some people who are too old to be conscripted think conscription is a great idea.

Or do older people understand that the world is a dangerous place and sometimes you need to get your hands dirty?

Or is it possibly, some people like to make connections that label others because that makes then feel better about themselves, and it validates their own views?"

"Get your hands dirty". You mean someone else's hands.

in Lancashire

"Amazing, seems some people who are too old to be conscripted think conscription is a great idea."

I fall into the first category and think it wouldn't matter what others think at the point such a decision was deemed necessary by whoever is in power..

We would be in a much different place as a country, having said that I doubt we would be under direct threat of any sort of invasion..

Looking at the what if etc is something we expect those who's duty is to protect it's citizens should be doing be that climate change consequences, further pandemics and the defence of the country..

We have seen a drop in the latter post 89 when the cold war was supposedly over to such a degree that a call for volunteers if needed would have to be made to fulfill our defence requirements and after that the the only other option is to conscript..

In an ideal world we would have peace and harmony, war and conflict are a vile waste of life but sadly we are not in that world..

Terra Firma

"Amazing, seems some people who are too old to be conscripted think conscription is a great idea.

Or is it possibly, some people like to make connections that label others because that makes then feel better about themselves, and it validates their own views?

"Get your hands dirty". You mean someone else's hands. "

Depends on the person, you may let someone get their hands dirty for you as an example. You might say you don't want them to do that, but without someone getting their hands dirty you would possibly not have the option to make the choice.

Question, would you sit back, and not fight should a country like Iran, invade our shores with an army?

Glasgow

Presumably the "better informed young of today", who told their Government to "fuck right off", will be easy to find. The reason being, their faces will be illuminated by their mobile phone screens as they watch, on TikTok, influencers peddle makeup tips and clips of young women clapping their hands together like demented seals as they answer stupid questions no one else gives a fuck about.

Did you spill your tea this morning? "

Nope. If a couple of generations ago they had thought that the government could "fuck right off" when we had to defend against Hitler we would all be in a far worse place now.

No one in their right mind wants war but if it comes to it then it is the duty of the young to take up arms and defend the nation.

Cumbria

Or is it possibly, some people like to make connections that label others because that makes then feel better about themselves, and it validates their own views?"

Or it could be that it’s very easy to advocate a course of action that will put others at risk knowing that there’s no possibility it will affect you?

If we’re talking about making connections that label others to feel better about themselves we could always talk about the idea that young people don’t know that sometimes you have to get their hands dirty.

There are times I wish I could act like I’d fought in a war that was over 30 years before I was born but I don’t know, it just seems a bit ridiculous.

Cumbria

Depends on the person, you may let someone get their hands dirty for you as an example. You might say you don't want them to do that, but without someone getting their hands dirty you would possibly not have the option to make the choice.

Question, would you sit back, and not fight should a country like Iran, invade our shores with an army?"

Iran? Barman, I’ll have whatever he’s having!

Question, would you sit back, and not fight should a country like Iran, invade our shores with an army?"

Probably. I’d like to think I’d be too old to be conscripted, though the Ukraine experience suggests otherwise.

I’d be willing to march up and down a church hall with a broom handle over my shoulder as long as there was tea and cake available, the heating is on, and I wasn’t kept up too late.

Terra Firma

Question, would you sit back, and not fight should a country like Iran, invade our shores with an army?

Iran? Barman, I’ll have whatever he’s having!"

change Iran to some other army, maybe the salvation is an army you would fancy your chances with...

Terra Firma

Probably. I’d like to think I’d be too old to be conscripted, though the Ukraine experience suggests otherwise.

I’d be willing to march up and down a church hall with a broom handle over my shoulder as long as there was tea and cake available, the heating is on, and I wasn’t kept up too late."

Cumbria

change Iran to some other army, maybe the salvation is an army you would fancy your chances with..."

I don’t fancy my chances with any army, because I know that like the vast majority of people I would shit myself and turn to jelly when the bullets started flying past my ears.

I could talk a good game on the internet though

Terra Firma

change Iran to some other army, maybe the salvation is an army you would fancy your chances with...

I don’t fancy my chances with any army, because I know that like the vast majority of people I would shit myself and turn to jelly when the bullets started flying past my ears.

I could talk a good game on the internet though "

They wouldn't put you on the front line, absolutely nothing to worry about

Cumbria

They wouldn't put you on the front line, absolutely nothing to worry about "

We’re not going to be invaded by Iran, or anyone else, so I’m not worried in the slightest where an imaginary conscription policy would place me in the imaginary war conducted entirely in the minds of our ageing but definitely very brave Internet generals.

Terra Firma

We’re not going to be invaded by Iran, or anyone else, so I’m not worried in the slightest where an imaginary conscription policy would place me in the imaginary war conducted entirely in the minds of our ageing but definitely very brave Internet generals."

I think it could be you that has the over active imagination

However you are right, we are unlikely to be invaded in our life times, which is lucky for you and your worries.

Cumbria

We’re not going to be invaded by Iran, or anyone else, so I’m not worried in the slightest where an imaginary conscription policy would place me in the imaginary war conducted entirely in the minds of our ageing but definitely very brave Internet generals.

However you are right, we are unlikely to be invaded in our life times, which is lucky for you and your worries. "

As I said, I’m not the one fighting imaginary wars in my head

borehamwood

Did you spill your tea this morning?

Nope. If a couple of generations ago they had thought that the government could "fuck right off" when we had to defend against Hitler we would all be in a far worse place now.

No one in their right mind wants war but if it comes to it then it is the duty of the young to take up arms and defend the nation. "

we didnt go to war with germany to defend against hitler, we went to war with them because they invaded poland, funnily enough though after defeating germany we left poland to the ussr, so germany invading poland bad, russia occupying poland no worries

Terra Firma

However you are right, we are unlikely to be invaded in our life times, which is lucky for you and your worries.

As I said, I’m not the one fighting imaginary wars in my head "

I do take comfort that you are not representative of the nation as a whole, but I don't think that will last much longer as I see bending at the knee is the go to liberal next best action.

National defence isn't just a personal responsibility, it's a shared duty that safeguards our way of life.

golden fields

Yeah but you specifically talked about people calling for conscription, who won't have to be conscripted. IE, not getting their hands dirty. So to speak.

I don't know why you picked Iran. I'm in my late 40s. My track record on zombie shooter games is woeful, most of my team get shot in the back of the head. Not sure how much use I'd be.

Terra Firma

Yeah but you specifically talked about people calling for conscription, who won't have to be conscripted. IE, not getting their hands dirty. So to speak.

I don't know why you picked Iran. I'm in my late 40s. My track record on zombie shooter games is woeful, most of my team get shot in the back of the head. Not sure how much use I'd be. "

Iran? I can't see why it would be a shock choice, they are fucking about with most countries in the west right now, far more disruptive than any other nation and have terrible human rights records, unless you think differently?

If we end up in a war with any country, you could try and make yourself useful! Also, writing yourself off in your 40's is a bit worrying..

Cumbria

I don't know why you picked Iran. I'm in my late 40s. My track record on zombie shooter games is woeful, most of my team get shot in the back of the head. Not sure how much use I'd be.

Iran? I can't see why it would be a shock choice, they are fucking about with most countries in the west right now, far more disruptive than any other nation and have terrible human rights records, unless you think differently?

If we end up in a war with any country, you could try and make yourself useful! Also, writing yourself off in your 40's is a bit worrying..

"

If you seriously believe there is even the slightest chance of Iran invading the UK then I have a bridge to sell you.

By *amish SMan 15 weeks ago

Eastleigh

Really, i'm not, so what is too old? I have also just come off the reserve list. I think some are getting conscription and national service mixed up.

Strangley when a dictator knocks on the door I sure those that think it is bad idea will soon think it's a good idea.

As current events show, not all co

nscripted would be active combatants.

Cumbria

Really, i'm not, so what is too old? I have also just come off the reserve list. I think some are getting conscription and national service mixed up.

Strangley when a dictator knocks on the door I sure those that think it is bad idea will soon think it's a good idea.

As current events show, not all co

nscripted would be active combatants."

Which dictator do you think is going to come knocking at the door?

Terra Firma

If you seriously believe there is even the slightest chance of Iran invading the UK then I have a bridge to sell you."

If it would make you happier, Russia is invading, problem solved.

You will hopefully find the language easier to pick up too.

golden fields

"

I'd say you'd get some good odds if you wanted to put money down on Iran invading the UK.

Personally, I'd be surprised if Iran launched a land invasion.

"

"

Useful yes, joining the army, probably less useful.

Not writing myself off. Just putting doubt on my combat readiness.

Terra Firma

I'd say you'd get some good odds if you wanted to put money down on Iran invading the UK.

Not writing myself off. Just putting doubt on my combat readiness."

You play video games, you are 50% combat ready

golden fields

Not writing myself off. Just putting doubt on my combat readiness.

You play video games, you are 50% combat ready "

You wouldn't say that if you saw my high scores.

"THE MAN HE KILLED.

"Had he and I but met

By some old ancient inn,

Right many a nipperkin!

"But ranged as infantry,

Because he was my foe,

No other reason why.

You shoot a fellow down

Are you really referencing poetry as an authority document? Burns day might have been yesterday but today is definitely POETS day.

It's a poem that completely describes perfectly my feelings on war, and conscription for that matter. Is that okay with you? Oh wait...your opinion on that doesn't really matter, if culture upsets you maybe the internet isn't for you. "

If culture upsets me, maybe the internet isn’t for me. I’ve spent way too much time browsing the internet but I’ve not found an awful lot of “culture”.

You do know this is a swinging website where males send unsolicited dick pics and the inside of someone’s arsehole recently made the top pics page? I’m it sure I fancy your version of culture.

Some of those (who are too old to be conscripted) volunteered and spent 22 years touring the shit holes of the world and know what they’re talking about.

By *wayfoxyCouple 14 weeks ago

Chester le street

Served my time in the military and would go back in a heartbeat to serve my country and ultimately cash in the blank cheque I signed when I joined however I'm dead against national service or conscription.we always took pride we were people who wanted to be there and the new namby pamby woke little entitled shits we call our future would roll over and die without taking a single shot

By *iman2100Man 14 weeks ago

Glasgow

"Served my time in the military and would go back in a heartbeat to serve my country and ultimately cash in the blank cheque I signed when I joined however I'm dead against national service or conscription.we always took pride we were people who wanted to be there and the new namby pamby woke little entitled shits we call our future would roll over and die without taking a single shot"

I agree with you, a professional army is far better than conscripts or national service people, but in war time you need numbers and our standing army is small compared with what it was.

By *ebauchedDeviantsPt2Couple 14 weeks ago

Cumbria

Some of those (who are too old to be conscripted) volunteered and spent 22 years touring the shit holes of the world and know what they’re talking about."

Well done, you applied for a job, got the job, and stayed in it for 22 years.

Cumbria

"Served my time in the military and would go back in a heartbeat to serve my country and ultimately cash in the blank cheque I signed when I joined however I'm dead against national service or conscription.we always took pride we were people who wanted to be there and the new namby pamby woke little entitled shits we call our future would roll over and die without taking a single shot

I agree with you, a professional army is far better than conscripts or national service people, but in war time you need numbers and our standing army is small compared with what it was. "

But given that the evidence shows the ‘numbers’ rarely fire their weapons, and if they do they fire them over the heads of the ‘enemy’ aren’t they just wasting resources?

By *irldnCouple 14 weeks ago

Brighton

OMG there is some absolute bollocks in this thread.

Anyway...

Wars are started by old men who know each other and fought by young men who have never met.

By *irldnCouple 14 weeks ago

Brighton

"Even if we were not invaded, and we don't need to be, if mainland Europe turned red then our lives would be very different and not much different to those in mainland Europe."

Hamish what do you mean “Europe turned red”? The implication, but might be my misunderstanding of your point, is that we are still fighting against the Commies? The reds? Is that what you mean?

By *arko21Couple 14 weeks ago

Co Down

You could al put the fakeugees in first as a prelude to live here say 2 yrs conscription

Glasgow

"Served my time in the military and would go back in a heartbeat to serve my country and ultimately cash in the blank cheque I signed when I joined however I'm dead against national service or conscription.we always took pride we were people who wanted to be there and the new namby pamby woke little entitled shits we call our future would roll over and die without taking a single shot

I agree with you, a professional army is far better than conscripts or national service people, but in war time you need numbers and our standing army is small compared with what it was.

But given that the evidence shows the ‘numbers’ rarely fire their weapons, and if they do they fire them over the heads of the ‘enemy’ aren’t they just wasting resources?"

As an army advances behind its best troops it has to leave soldiers behind to deal with any flare ups and surpress and subdue the civilian population. Non professional soldiers are usually used for this purpose.

Cumbria

But given that the evidence shows the ‘numbers’ rarely fire their weapons, and if they do they fire them over the heads of the ‘enemy’ aren’t they just wasting resources?

As an army advances behind its best troops it has to leave soldiers behind to deal with any flare ups and surpress and subdue the civilian population. Non professional soldiers are usually used for this purpose. "

You’d expect troops to have to suppress and subdue the civilian population in our own country?

By (user no longer on site) 14 weeks ago

The word “conscription” means you don’t have a choice so why bitch about it? Stop moaning like children and get yourself measured up for a uniform.

I promise you’ll look very smart and twice daily PT will help get rid of your lumpy bits.

By *abtasticsbackMan 14 weeks ago

manchester

"Served my time in the military and would go back in a heartbeat to serve my country and ultimately cash in the blank cheque I signed when I joined however I'm dead against national service or conscription.we always took pride we were people who wanted to be there and the new namby pamby woke little entitled shits we call our future would roll over and die without taking a single shot"

What do you think about the young soldiers who were forced to fight and conscripted during WW2?

Glasgow

As an army advances behind its best troops it has to leave soldiers behind to deal with any flare ups and surpress and subdue the civilian population. Non professional soldiers are usually used for this purpose.

You’d expect troops to have to suppress and subdue the civilian population in our own country?"

No, in other countries.

Glasgow

"The word “conscription” means you don’t have a choice so why bitch about it? Stop moaning like children and get yourself measured up for a uniform.

I promise you’ll look very smart and twice daily PT will help get rid of your lumpy bits."

Can I keep my mobile so I can watch fluffy cat posts on TikTok?

What do you think about the young soldiers who were forced to fight and conscripted during WW2? "

Those young people were the people who defeated facism and are the reason we don’t have a nazi government today (as bad as the tories are, they’re still a few bawhairs away from being nazis).

I think:

-Some people want the life and they join in peace time.

-Some volunteer during war.

-Some are willing to do their bit but wait to be called.

-Some just don’t want to go but, when called, going easier (or palatable) than the alternative.

-Some will kick up, cry about it and refuse to fight but deep down they will always know their freedom was bought by the others’ sacrifices.

The British army is justifiably proud to be “all volunteer” but they need to remember that they’ve never won a peer on peer war. Only conscripts armies have ever done that. It’s the only way to get the number of people required to defend the nation.

Cumbria

You’d expect troops to have to suppress and subdue the civilian population in our own country?

No, in other countries. "

No thanks, I’ll go to prison instead.

Glasgow

No, in other countries.

No thanks, I’ll go to prison instead."

Your choice, unless the Govt does what Putin does and send prisoners to the front.

No, in other countries.

Your choice, unless the Govt does what Putin does and send prisoners to the front. "

They will when it comes to it.We did it in the past and we will do it again.

No, in other countries.

Your choice, unless the Govt does what Putin does and send prisoners to the front. "

Personally speaking, I will not fire a weapon at another human being in battle. I wouldn’t even firing a round in whatever training was to be provided in this scenario.

I’ll deal with the consequences of my actions.

Cumbria

No, in other countries.

Your choice, unless the Govt does what Putin does and send prisoners to the front.

Personally speaking, I will not fire a weapon at another human being in battle. I wouldn’t even firing a round in whatever training was to be provided in this scenario.

I’ll deal with the consequences of my actions.

"

Yep, same here. So many armchair generals on here, desperate for a war they know they won’t have to fight in.

By *erry bull1Man 14 weeks ago

doncaster

This country was admired worldwide for its armed forces but like anything the government had cut things to the bone and ruined it , I served nine year in the army . I wouldn’t think of picking up a weapon for this country when I see the way veterans are treated while immigrants lavish in luxury hotels

".The British army is justifiably proud to be “all volunteer” but they need to remember that they’ve never won a peer on peer war. Only conscripts armies have ever done that. It’s the only way to get the number of people required to defend the nation."

21st entry warfare is not reliant on conscription and overwhelming numbers.

You can do more damage by disrupting one satellite than you can with an entire garrison of recruits.

By *ohnnyTwoNotesMan 14 weeks ago

golden fields

"This country was admired worldwide for its armed forces but like anything the government had cut things to the bone and ruined it , I served nine year in the army . I wouldn’t think of picking up a weapon for this country when I see the way veterans are treated while immigrants lavish in luxury hotels "

Good hustle shoehorning immigrants into the conversation.

In fairness to you though. Bloody foreigners!