FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > Politics > Black Only theatre nights.

Black Only theatre nights.

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *astandFeisty OP   Couple 10 weeks ago

Bournemouth

This is real. Don't worry though, you can't be racist against white people

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *irldnCouple 10 weeks ago

Brighton

Link?

Bournemouth

"Link?"

I can't link it as the links I found had the word 'sl*ve'. Search Sl*ve Play independent.

By *exxyyDy11Man 10 weeks ago

North West

I've heard about this sort of thing in the United States which caused a big scandal over there. But never heard about it over here before. Have they decided to do it in the West End?

By *otMe66Man 10 weeks ago

Terra Firma

It is a hard sell for it not to be seen as racist...

From the playwright:

"On the evenings of 17 July and 17 September the theatre will be open to an 'all-Black identifying audience' to allow black audiences to watch the play 'free from the white gaze".

By (user no longer on site) 10 weeks ago

No Irish, No Whites, No Dogs.

Terra Firma

This will be a tough one for the liberal progressives to talk about, I expect a lot of silence.

By *exxyyDy11Man 10 weeks ago

North West

"This will be a tough one for the liberal progressives to talk about, I expect a lot of silence."

Seem like it has been imported from the US. Most of the racial identity politics we hear about in the UK all seem to be copied from America.

By *I TwoCouple 10 weeks ago

all around

"whites won't be turned away"

Free marketing ?

By *resesse_MelioremCouple 10 weeks ago

Border of London

"It is a hard sell for it not to be seen as racist...

From the playwright:

"On the evenings of 17 July and 17 September the theatre will be open to an 'all-Black identifying audience' to allow black audiences to watch the play 'free from the white gaze".

"

This actually doesn't sound like a bad idea. It's easy to see why people would be offended, though. Like a religious ceremony where people don't want people who don't believe judging them. It's perfectly acceptable to have spaces exclusive to groups where there's a valid reason. Like addicts, r*pe victims support, unpicking generational trauma linked to sl*very.

If it's a play that just rips into whites, then it's a horrible hate crime. If it's a play that unpicks generational trauma, then brilliant, let it continue.

Brighton

Hmmmm surely an inclusive approach would be better to allow for education and shared experience of a very difficult issue?

But as said above, free marketing!!!!

Bournemouth

I n ow just how to teach people that racism is wrong. Go for the segregation angle.

Makes perfect sense.

By *resesse_MelioremCouple 10 weeks ago

Border of London

"Hmmmm surely an inclusive approach would be better to allow for education and shared experience of a very difficult issue?

"

You may well be correct. But it's about whether people have the right to do this.

By *AFKA HovisMan 10 weeks ago

Sindon Swingdon Swindon

Play noone has heard of becomes play people are discussing.

Don't ban whites, just charge em more like sex clubs.

(Even as a liberal this feels more like a PR thing than a needed approach. After all, who watches the audiance in a theatre ?)

By *ostindreamsMan 10 weeks ago

London

From the playwright:

This actually doesn't sound like a bad idea. It's easy to see why people would be offended, though. Like a religious ceremony where people don't want people who don't believe judging them. It's perfectly acceptable to have spaces exclusive to groups where there's a valid reason. Like addicts, r*pe victims support, unpicking generational trauma linked to sl*very.

If it's a play that just rips into whites, then it's a horrible hate crime. If it's a play that unpicks generational trauma, then brilliant, let it continue."

I guess the question will then be would it be ok to have white only shows? Or is "racial sense of belonging" a feeling only certain ethnicities can enjoy?

London

From the playwright:

"

"Identifying"

Well...

London

Another example of how the "woke" are as bad as far right.

Their justification as always is that there aren't enough black audiences.

It could be because black people are not culturally inclined to go to theatre. Having black only viewings isn't going to help.

It could be because of the economic disparity and black people tend to be on the lower end of economic spectrum. If that's the case, you could just reduce the ticket prices and allow poor people from all races to watch the show.

Either way, racial ban on audience isn't a solution. It only increases the racial divide. And then people told me that the woke aren't as bad as far right.

By *ouple in LancashireCouple 10 weeks ago

in Lancashire

If the theatre wanted to they could of course only invite a black audience to the two nights then as they've done open to anyone..

If as alluded to it was a film about the horrific issue where men murder over 100 women every year in this country I think people wouldn't be so outraged if they did the same..

It does at first glance look a bit odd and it could have been worded a bit better in the explanation but none of us really if we aren't the following generations of those ensla#ed fully know how that feels..

We might be able to empathise to a point but that's it..

I'm also guessing a lot of the criticism is by those who had no intention of going ..

By *ohnnyTwoNotesMan 10 weeks ago

golden fields

"Another example of how the "woke" are as bad as far right.

It could be because black people are not culturally inclined to go to theatre. Having black only viewings isn't going to help.

It could be because of the economic disparity and black people tend to be on the lower end of economic spectrum. If that's the case, you could just reduce the ticket prices and allow poor people from all races to watch the show.

Either way, racial ban on audience isn't a solution. It only increases the racial divide. And then people told me that the woke aren't as bad as far right."

Lol. More woke confusion. Love it.

Terra Firma

Interesting that exclusion due to the colour of your skin is acceptable in any circumstance?

From the playwright:

"Harris invented the nights, and has been clear that he feels it’s fine for Black attendees to bring along non-Black friends and partners. Nobody is going to block admission to anyone. However there are literally dozens of non-Black Out performances so why would you to a Black Out night if nobody in your group is Black unless you’re just being weird"

London

Either way, racial ban on audience isn't a solution. It only increases the racial divide. And then people told me that the woke aren't as bad as far right.

Lol. More woke confusion. Love it. "

It goes hand in hand with the definition that was given. Either way, what's your opinion on black only theatre? Do you think it's a good thing are a bad thing?

Sindon Swingdon Swindon

Black Man Featre Club innit.

golden fields

Lol. More woke confusion. Love it.

It goes hand in hand with the definition that was given. Either way, what's your opinion on black only theatre? Do you think it's a good thing are a bad thing?"

Doesn't seem like a good idea to me.

I was more here for you shoehorning more woke confusion into the conversation.

By *ortyairCouple 10 weeks ago

Wallasey

This is just racist bullshit. If any other race did thus there would be uproar.

If you want to be reminded of your past then make a story, play, film whatever. Portray it well and don't hold back on any atrocities.

Most people get it, we understand racism has happened, it's happening now and in all likelihood will always happen but how is introducing a policy of segregation going to help.

It's wrong,

Mrs x

Sindon Swingdon Swindon

Even if I take the motivation as being well placed (and not judt PR) the approach needs a lot more justification. That's often the case with these causes. Do something, do anything. Rather than do a sensible thing.

(I'd argue that is not as bad as a group doing something for the wrong reason. But hey ho)

However, I've challenged myself to see if I could ever get behind something similar.

I could see that a play on DV *may* benefit from a female only audience. But the thing here is I'm being mindful that actual victims may be interested in seeing it, and I'd maybe not want to be surrounded by reminders after such an experience.

Why do this exercise? It makes me think of this is a binaru issue or if I need to work out where my line is drawn.

Brighton

Either way, racial ban on audience isn't a solution. It only increases the racial divide. And then people told me that the woke aren't as bad as far right."

It’s not woke it is wank. Total wank. Cynical PR stunt.

Brighton

"Interesting that exclusion due to the colour of your skin is acceptable in any circumstance?

From the playwright:

"Harris invented the nights, and has been clear that he feels it’s fine for Black attendees to bring along non-Black friends and partners. Nobody is going to block admission to anyone. However there are literally dozens of non-Black Out performances so why would you to a Black Out night if nobody in your group is Black unless you’re just being weird""

Totally disagree with this from the playwright. So black people with white partners, in-laws, or friends can’t bring them on “black out” nights! Wrong in so many ways! Publicity stunt.

Wallasey

What are the topics that the plays are about and why would there be any potential problem with a 'white gaze'?

Mrs x

By *uddy laneMan 10 weeks ago

dudley

"This is real. Don't worry though, you can't be racist against white people

"

Who took that decision and thought it was a good one.

By *hocolate37Man 10 weeks ago

Heathrow

"What are the topics that the plays are about and why would there be any potential problem with a 'white gaze'?

Mrs x"

It's an uncomfortable play, I'm told - it's the story of three interracial couples trying to jump-start their relationships, while role-playing being on a plantation, hence the title "sl*ve play"...behind the story is an exploration of chattel sl*very, its dynamic and effects on people, as well as identity and sexuality. A friend of mine saw it in the US, and said it messed with his head for a while afterwards...

Wallasey

If that floats your boat watch it, but I'm.not in favour of anyone saying who can or cannot watch something.

If you don't want someone to see your work don't write ot,

Mrs x

Heathrow

...I remember going to watch "12 Years A Sl*ve", and listening to comments from people in the audience during certain scenes left me feeling utterly disgusted - this isn't a justification in any way, but thinking back to that night makes me wonder...?

Terra Firma

"...I remember going to watch "12 Years A Sl*ve", and listening to comments from people in the audience during certain scenes left me feeling utterly disgusted - this isn't a justification in any way, but thinking back to that night makes me wonder...?"

You don't punish / isolate / discriminate against everyone of a certain skin colour because someone is a twat with that certain skin colour.

Well actually you can, it is called being a racist.

Heathrow

"...I remember going to watch "12 Years A Sl*ve", and listening to comments from people in the audience during certain scenes left me feeling utterly disgusted - this isn't a justification in any way, but thinking back to that night makes me wonder...?

You don't punish / isolate / discriminate against everyone of a certain skin colour because someone is a twat with that certain skin colour.

Well actually you can, it is called being a racist."

I said that I wonder, without justification. Am I allowed to do that? I think I am.

Terra Firma

"...I remember going to watch "12 Years A Sl*ve", and listening to comments from people in the audience during certain scenes left me feeling utterly disgusted - this isn't a justification in any way, but thinking back to that night makes me wonder...?

I said that I wonder, without justification. Am I allowed to do that? I think I am."

I was responding to the situation you described and associated it to the black out, but obviously I wasn't clear enough.

Sindon Swingdon Swindon

tbf we "ban" men from womens toilets because some men are twats.

(By no means drawing a direct equivalence here ... But it shows when we draw lines, not if)

golden fields

Extremely "woke" of you.

Terra Firma

[Removed by poster at 29/02/24 19:10:39]

Terra Firma

Extremely "woke" of you."

Heathrow

I said that I wonder, without justification. Am I allowed to do that? I think I am.

I was responding to the situation you described and associated it to the black out, but obviously I wasn't clear enough."

Just so we're clear, I pondered that if there'd been a night such as this for the film, I'm thinking (in hindsight, of course - I thought that these nights were a US-only thing) that I might have gone to see it then, given what I experienced. Is that OK with you? Or not, I don't really care.

By *ools and the brainCouple 10 weeks ago

couple, us we him her.

Aren't we trying to create a more tolerant and inclusive society learning from the mistakes of the past through education and learning.

Excluding anyone from something based on the colour of their skin is contradictory to the above, is in my opinion just going to create more divisions and ill feelings.

I'm sure it's just a publicity stunt designed to summon up more interest.

I can't believe for a second that someone would create a play about the horrors of sla very then exclude the people who's distant relatives created the issue.

What about modern sla very why don't people get so riled up about that?

Or is it ok because trainers and hoodies are worth someone getting paid a penny a day to make.

Sindon Swingdon Swindon

No one is banned.

It's all PR.

It's working.

Terra Firma

I was responding to the situation you described and associated it to the black out, but obviously I wasn't clear enough.

Just so we're clear, I pondered that if there'd been a night such as this for the film, I'm thinking (in hindsight, of course - I thought that these nights were a US-only thing) that I might have gone to see it then, given what I experienced. Is that OK with you? Or not, I don't really care."

Now switch to a white male who in hindsight thinks I don’t want sit in a theatre with black people, the things they say disgust me. Which is what you have basically said.

See a difference or not, or would promote segregation?

dudley

Rosa Parkes would be disappointed.

golden fields

"Aren't we trying to create a more tolerant and inclusive society learning from the mistakes of the past through education and learning.

"

Where do you get this from?

Currently we're being divided harder than ever before. Blame those small groups of minorities over there. Blame those people who understand climate science. Blame foreigners. Blame Muslims. Blame "the woke".

"

Excluding anyone from something based on the colour of their skin is contradictory to the above, is in my opinion just going to create more divisions and ill feelings.

"

Yup

"

I can't believe for a second that someone would create a play about the horrors of sla very then exclude the people who's distant relatives created the issue.

Or is it ok because trainers and hoodies are worth someone getting paid a penny a day to make."

Wallasey

What period is the play concerned with in relation to the aspect of slav ery?

Mrs x

dudley

"Aren't we trying to create a more tolerant and inclusive society learning from the mistakes of the past through education and learning.

Currently we're being divided harder than ever before. Blame those small groups of minorities over there. Blame those people who understand climate science. Blame foreigners. Blame Muslims. Blame "the woke".

Yup

Or is it ok because trainers and hoodies are worth someone getting paid a penny a day to make.

"

White supremacist should be included in the blame game.

golden fields

Yup

White supremacist should be included in the blame game."

Why?

dudley

Yup

Why?"

Do you think it shouldn't

be in the list.

Heathrow

"What period is the play concerned with in relation to the aspect of slav ery?

Mrs x"

I can't find anything in the 2019 reviews that gives that info...

golden fields

Yup

Why?

be in the list."

I don't see why it would be. The media and government are telling people to blame all kinds of minorities or people who question things, or who understand climate science, eat tofu etc. I don't see them trying to make people blame white supremacists.

dudley

Yup

Why?

be in the list.

I don't see why it would be. The media and government are telling people to blame all kinds of minorities or people who question things, or who understand climate science, eat tofu etc. I don't see them trying to make people blame white supremacists."

no rational thought procceing going on if they are told how to think, that is why i mentioned the supremacist as it is used by some because they have been told how to think.

golden fields

Yup

Why?

be in the list.

I don't see why it would be. The media and government are telling people to blame all kinds of minorities or people who question things, or who understand climate science, eat tofu etc. I don't see them trying to make people blame white supremacists.

no rational thought procceing going on if they are told how to think, that is why i mentioned the supremacist as it is used by some because they have been told how to think. "

That's what I'm saying. People are being told to blame all those random groups of people. Anything except looking at those in charge with all the power and money.

No clue why you're bringing white supremacists into this.

dudley

Yup

Why?

be in the list.

no rational thought procceing going on if they are told how to think, that is why i mentioned the supremacist as it is used by some because they have been told how to think.

That's what I'm saying. People are being told to blame all those random groups of people. Anything except looking at those in charge with all the power and money.

No clue why you're bringing white supremacists into this."

I'm with you bud on this subject, I was playing devils advocate emphasising the learned tropes people use and not thinking.

By *eroy1000Man 10 weeks ago

milton keynes

"

This is 100% racist. As others said imagine the response to a white only screening. Sadly your comment about can't be racist if it's against white people is a view held by several people I know. They genuinely believe only white people are racist and everyone else is victim's of them. What annoys me is it is this type of double standards that make my life that bit harder. The only difference between my white friends and myself is literally just skin colour and nothing else but now some moron is creating a division.

By *melie LALWoman 10 weeks ago

Peterborough

From the playwright:

"Identifying"

Well..."

I know of a very racist person who identifies as white. Mental health issue.

Heathrow

Just so we're clear, I pondered that if there'd been a night such as this for the film, I'm thinking (in hindsight, of course - I thought that these nights were a US-only thing) that I might have gone to see it then, given what I experienced. Is that OK with you? Or not, I don't really care.

Now switch to a white male who in hindsight thinks I don’t want sit in a theatre with black people, the things they say disgust me. Which is what you have basically said.

See a difference or not, or would promote segregation?"

Just stop - you wanna pick apart what I pondered as a result of a memory that popped into my head, go ahead on your lonesome...you don't really want discussion, and to misquote me and completely remove the scenario I spoke about, is just lame.

If a white guy (or anybody) had felt what I felt that night under the same circumstances, then no issues from me. Their personal decision, as it would be mine. Once again (and finally, as I'm done with this), is that OK with you? Or not, I don't really care.

By *usybee73Man 10 weeks ago

in the sticks

"No one is banned.

It's all PR.

It's working. "

Agree ?? yet people are pissing themselves ????

golden fields

Yup

Why?

be in the list.

No clue why you're bringing white supremacists into this.

I'm with you bud on this subject, I was playing devils advocate emphasising the learned tropes people use and not thinking."

Ah ha. You're too clever for me there.

Brighton

This is 100% racist. As others said imagine the response to a white only screening. Sadly your comment about can't be racist if it's against white people is a view held by several people I know. They genuinely believe only white people are racist and everyone else is victim's of them. What annoys me is it is this type of double standards that make my life that bit harder. The only difference between my white friends and myself is literally just skin colour and nothing else but now some moron is creating a division. "

I’m with you Leroy. Sad isn’t that melanin causes so much division!

By *exy_HornyCouple 10 weeks ago

Leigh

This is 100% racist. As others said imagine the response to a white only screening. Sadly your comment about can't be racist if it's against white people is a view held by several people I know. They genuinely believe only white people are racist and everyone else is victim's of them. What annoys me is it is this type of double standards that make my life that bit harder. The only difference between my white friends and myself is literally just skin colour and nothing else but now some moron is creating a division. "

Exactly, well said.

By *ty31Man 10 weeks ago

NW London

From my (limited) understanding, this isn't about discrimination against white people it's a way to encourage and promote theatre to black people as people from BAME backgrounds make up a very small percentage of theatre goers.

It's a worthwhile aim, the issue I'd raise is the term "White Gaze"

I don't know what that is or how it's defined and I don't think that framing thru the point of view of systematic racism is correct or helpful.

Brighton

"From my (limited) understanding, this isn't about discrimination against white people it's a way to encourage and promote theatre to black people as people from BAME backgrounds make up a very small percentage of theatre goers.

I don't know what that is or how it's defined and I don't think that framing thru the point of view of systematic racism is correct or helpful."

You don’t encourage more people from one group(s) of society by excluding another part of society.

London

"From my (limited) understanding, this isn't about discrimination against white people it's a way to encourage and promote theatre to black people as people from BAME backgrounds make up a very small percentage of theatre goers.

I don't know what that is or how it's defined and I don't think that framing thru the point of view of systematic racism is correct or helpful."

How is making the show black-only going to bring more black people to theatre? If most of them were never interested in theatre in the first place, this change is not going to help. If it is because the costs are high, they should be reducing the prices. By saying that making the audience black only brings more black people, they are creating a perception that black people aren't comfortable sitting with white audience, which is wrong in so many different ways.

By *mateur100Man 10 weeks ago

nr faversham

Can I ask why there isn't any outcry about the MOBOs? I'm sure there would be if it were the MOWOs

By *irkby coupleCouple 10 weeks ago

Kirkby

I don’t see the problem with black only theatre nights, black only clubs or black only anything.

We have women only gyms.

If people want to segregate themselves, let them.

I maybe wrong but I remember seeing some where, you can’t be racist against a majority, is this correct?

Terra Firma

[Removed by poster at 02/03/24 14:44:26]

Terra Firma

"I don’t see the problem with black only theatre nights, black only clubs or black only anything.

We have women only gyms.

I maybe wrong but I remember seeing some where, you can’t be racist against a majority, is this correct?"

that is incorrect.

You can’t be racist towards women because all women are not one race.

Black only is segregation, that was kicked out years ago thankfully, but it seems people are happy to regress

By *abygirl6969TV/TS 9 weeks ago

Edinburgh

It’s a fantastic idea.

It’s not racism.

If you have a very strong reaction to having a few nights to help encourage historically excluded audiences to the theatre, I suggest you take a look in the mirror and what understand what you are actually upset with (no longer being able to benefit from a system, at the expense of others).

By *ortyairCouple 9 weeks ago

Wallasey

"It’s a fantastic idea.

It’s not racism.

If you have a very strong reaction to having a few nights to help encourage historically excluded audiences to the theatre, I suggest you take a look in the mirror and what understand what you are actually upset with (no longer being able to benefit from a system, at the expense of others). "

Can I just ask how black people were historically excluded from theatres? Mrs x

By *mateur100Man 9 weeks ago

nr faversham

"It’s a fantastic idea.

It’s not racism.

If you have a very strong reaction to having a few nights to help encourage historically excluded audiences to the theatre, I suggest you take a look in the mirror and what understand what you are actually upset with (no longer being able to benefit from a system, at the expense of others). Can I just ask how black people were historically excluded from theatres? Mrs x"

Is it a revenge thing then?

Wallasey

"It’s a fantastic idea.

It’s not racism.

If you have a very strong reaction to having a few nights to help encourage historically excluded audiences to the theatre, I suggest you take a look in the mirror and what understand what you are actually upset with (no longer being able to benefit from a system, at the expense of others). Can I just ask how black people were historically excluded from theatres? Mrs x

Is it a revenge thing then?"

I don't know what the reasons the previous poster is alluding to, that's why I asked my question,

Mrs x

By *abygirl6969TV/TS 9 weeks ago

Edinburgh

Your views on Palestine are very incorrect.

The UK promised Palestine to zionists to deal with, as they saw it, ‘the Jewish problem’ after WW1, which was antisemitic. The techniques and methods of these settlers was and is Settler colonialism, and genocidal. If you can’t see that I can’t help you.

By *irldnCouple 9 weeks ago

Brighton

"Your views on Palestine are very incorrect.

The UK promised Palestine to zionists to deal with, as they saw it, ‘the Jewish problem’ after WW1, which was antisemitic. The techniques and methods of these settlers was and is Settler colonialism, and genocidal. If you can’t see that I can’t help you. "

Who are you talking to? Is this the right thread?

Wallasey

The UK promised Palestine to zionists to deal with, as they saw it, ‘the Jewish problem’ after WW1, which was antisemitic. The techniques and methods of these settlers was and is Settler colonialism, and genocidal. If you can’t see that I can’t help you. "

Is this meant for me? Mrs x

By *abygirl6969TV/TS 3 weeks ago

Edinburgh

Meant for another board I think. Watching White people trying their darnedest to understand issues of race. People are really saying the quiet part out loud. Lulz.

By *idnight RamblerMan 3 weeks ago

Pershore

"I don’t see the problem with black only theatre nights, black only clubs or black only anything.

We have women only gyms.

I maybe wrong but I remember seeing some where, you can’t be racist against a majority, is this correct?"

You don't think classification by colour is divisive? Would you see a problem with white only theatre nights? Yes, there's context to all this, but it's 2024, we have to become colour blind.

» Add a new message to this topic