FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > Politics > Keir Starmer faces discontent as Labour MPs reject union jack election flyers

Keir Starmer faces discontent as Labour MPs reject union jack election flyers

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *0shadesOfFilth OP   Man 6 weeks ago

nearby

Keir Starmer is facing discontent from Labour MPs over the dominant use of the union flag in election campaign material amid concern it may alienate ethnic minority voters and others

Why does our flag offend so many people, but our benefits don’t.

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *deepdiveMan 6 weeks ago

France / Birmingham

A sad reflection when the national flag conjures up connotations of hatred and persecution...

By *idnight RamblerMan 6 weeks ago

Pershore

Labour, and indeed the nation, need a new flag to symbolise the glorious new age we will enter later this year when Sir Kier is crowned leader. What can we suggest?

By *obleroneToShareMan 6 weeks ago

Cypress Avenue, nr Bristol

"Labour, and indeed the nation, need a new flag to symbolise the glorious new age we will enter later this year when Sir Kier is crowned leader. What can we suggest?"

I would suggest a union jack in pride colours, but some minority group will feel left out and kick off for being left out.

So it has to be the white flag of surrender!

By *9alMan 6 weeks ago

Bridgend

"Labour, and indeed the nation, need a new flag to symbolise the glorious new age we will enter later this year when Sir Kier is crowned leader. What can we suggest?

I would suggest a union jack in pride colours, but some minority group will feel left out and kick off for being left out.

So it has to be the white flag of surrender!"

the red flag is not popular with starmer

there is no representation of the Welsh flag in the union jack

"Labour, and indeed the nation, need a new flag to symbolise the glorious new age we will enter later this year when Sir Kier is crowned leader. What can we suggest?

there is no representation of the Welsh flag in the union jack "

Does there need to be? There's no Cornish representation either.

By *astandFeistyCouple 6 weeks ago

Bournemouth

there is no representation of the Welsh flag in the union jack "

Because Wales was a principality united with England when the Royal Flag was created.

By *irldnCouple 6 weeks ago

Brighton

Wales was conquered by the English and should not be considered a separate country in the Union like Scotland. Imagine if the England football team had had the likes of Bale or Giggs in the past! Imagine the rugby team!

Only joking my Welsh friends, only joking.

"Wales was conquered by the English and should not be considered a separate country in the Union like Scotland. Imagine if the England football team had had the likes of Bale or Giggs in the past! Imagine the rugby team!

Only joking my Welsh friends, only joking. "

Would they even make it on the bench?

By *AFKA HovisMan 6 weeks ago

Sindon Swingdon Swindon

"Wales was conquered by the English and should not be considered a separate country in the Union like Scotland. Imagine if the England football team had had the likes of Bale or Giggs in the past! Imagine the rugby team!

Only joking my Welsh friends, only joking.

Would they even make it on the bench? "

tbf neither bale nor Giggs play rugby. The bench feels fair.

Sindon Swingdon Swindon

given the shit storm.of the st George's cross being a different colour, I'd suggest a majority group may kick off.

Can I suggest we a add a few white snowflakes to your new suggestion ?

Sindon Swingdon Swindon

It's not dumb to allow leaflets to be adopted for the local constituency.

I don't get this appeal to British nationalism. Who votes for a party based on how hard they beat their chest ?

By *idnight RamblerMan 6 weeks ago

Pershore

So it has to be the white flag of surrender!given the shit storm.of the st George's cross being a different colour, I'd suggest a majority group may kick off.

Can I suggest we a add a few white snowflakes to your new suggestion ?"

How about a multi-coloured snowflake flag?

Red, white and blue for patriots.

Green, red, black, orange covers the IRA, Palestine, ISIS etc.

Rainbow of course must be there.

White for snowflakes.

Anybody missed?

Sindon Swingdon Swindon

So it has to be the white flag of surrender!given the shit storm.of the st George's cross being a different colour, I'd suggest a majority group may kick off.

White for snowflakes.

Anybody missed?

"

as someone who is colourblind, I'm offended at your obvious taunting.

Can I suggest we a add a few white snowflakes to your new suggestion ?"

Snowflakes? If you need representation why not?

Sindon Swingdon Swindon

Snowflakes? If you need representation why not?"

I'm not bothered by the colour of the cross on an england shirt.

But my mummy does call me unique.

By *uvnylonsMan 6 weeks ago

Lanarkshire

Arn't those offended by our flag lucky that they live in a country with the freedom to express their offence no matter how distasteful their views are to others who appreciate the values that flag represents.

By *deepdiveMan 6 weeks ago

France / Birmingham

"Arn't those offended by our flag lucky that they live in a country with the freedom to express their offence no matter how distasteful their views are to others who appreciate the values that flag represents."

Do you mean the BNP?

By *ebauchedDeviantsPt2Couple 6 weeks ago

Cumbria

I thought it was a BNP leaflet when it came through the door.

Really sad that the far right has hijacked the union flag.

By *otMe66Man 6 weeks ago

Terra Firma

"It's not dumb to allow leaflets to be adopted for the local constituency.

I don't get this appeal to British nationalism. Who votes for a party based on how hard they beat their chest ?"

Why is a sense of pride in your country chest beating?

Sindon Swingdon Swindon

I don't get this appeal to British nationalism. Who votes for a party based on how hard they beat their chest ?

"

it's not. But drapping a flag to show your the most proudest is imo.

Are labour more proud now they have a leaflet with the union jack on it? Or is it just an odd form of virtue signalling?

I don't think any of the parties are more or less proud of their country than any of the others. Possibly proud (and less proud) about different things.

Terra Firma

Are labour more proud now they have a leaflet with the union jack on it? Or is it just an odd form of virtue signalling?

I don't think any of the parties are more or less proud of their country than any of the others. Possibly proud (and less proud) about different things. "

you answered it wasn't about pride and then go on to say it is about pride.

You have lost me

By *CBoyTV/TS 6 weeks ago

Penygraig

As a disabled lesbian dolphin I'd certainly object that us DLDs are being sidelined again..

Terra Firma

"I thought it was a BNP leaflet when it came through the door.

Really sad that the far right has hijacked the union flag."

It's understandable to feel disappointed when national flags are used for divisive purposes, but I have heard this so many times and I just don't think it is true in terms of it has been hijacked..

The Union Flag, represents a diverse array of values and identities within our nation. Some may attempt to claim it for their own agenda, the flag itself encapsulates a spectrum of meanings, unity, history, and shared identity.

It is used to celebrate across generations, from children to the elderly, as a symbol of national pride and unity during celebratory events, waving flags at parades, decorations during festivals, and displaying them at sporting events, people of all ages use the Union Flag to express their heritage and identity, far more frequently than the far right....

Sindon Swingdon Swindon

I don't think any of the parties are more or less proud of their country than any of the others. Possibly proud (and less proud) about different things.

You have lost me"

I was seeking to explain the difference in being proud about your country and using the union jack as part of a political campaigning.

I also don't think waiving the union jack makes you more proud than anyone else.

Terra Firma

You have lost meI was seeking to explain the difference in being proud about your country and using the union jack as part of a political campaigning.

I also don't think waiving the union jack makes you more proud than anyone else. "

have you ever waved the union flag?

Sindon Swingdon Swindon

You have lost meI was seeking to explain the difference in being proud about your country and using the union jack as part of a political campaigning.

I also don't think waiving the union jack makes you more proud than anyone else.

have you ever waved the union flag? "

not sure the relevance of that.

I haven't.

Does that mean I'm not proud of Britain ?

Terra Firma

have you ever waved the union flag? not sure the relevance of that.

I haven't.

"

I don’t know if you are or are not proud of Britain or in fact proud to be British…

I find it strange that even as a child you never waved the union flag.

Sindon Swingdon Swindon

I haven't.

I don’t know if you are or are not proud of Britain or in fact proud to be British…

I find it strange that even as a child you never waved the union flag. "

maybe I did as a kid. I have very few childhood memories.

I'm not against flag waving. I just don't see it as a measure of how proud one is. Be like saying you don't support your team because you don't wear their shirt about.

My two main points are.

1) Labour haven't suddenly become more proud of more British because of their new leaflet campaign.

2) voting based simply on who is most proudest or most British feels an odd approach.

My guess is it won't win extra votes. Maybe it will, maybe there's a positive anchor that will help unconsciously.

Because the use does anchor. As another poster said, it looked a bit BNPish. Rightly or wrongly that's a reaction when the flag is used in political leaflets (context matters). So an bad feeling to anchor to for them.

Maybe im applying too much anecdote on this. When the leaflet came thru I felt it was a cynical ploy. A minus. Maybe others have it a positive.

Terra Firma

I haven't.

I find it strange that even as a child you never waved the union flag. maybe I did as a kid. I have very few childhood memories.

I'm not against flag waving. I just don't see it as a measure of how proud one is. Be like saying you don't support your team because you don't wear their shirt about.

My two main points are.

1) Labour haven't suddenly become more proud of more British because of their new leaflet campaign.

2) voting based simply on who is most proudest or most British feels an odd approach.

My guess is it won't win extra votes. Maybe it will, maybe there's a positive anchor that will help unconsciously.

Because the use does anchor. As another poster said, it looked a bit BNPish. Rightly or wrongly that's a reaction when the flag is used in political leaflets (context matters). So an bad feeling to anchor to for them.

Maybe im applying too much anecdote on this. When the leaflet came thru I felt it was a cynical ploy. A minus. Maybe others have it a positive. "

See my post above ref BNP and the flag.

There is nothing wrong at all at using the national flag to promote the Labour Party, it should be accepted as the norm if they’re going to represent the nation as a government. I also think if a person feels the flag is racist, they are wrong, we as a nation have every right to display, wave and celebrate our national flag.

Sindon Swingdon Swindon

I haven't.

I find it strange that even as a child you never waved the union flag. maybe I did as a kid. I have very few childhood memories.

My two main points are.

Maybe im applying too much anecdote on this. When the leaflet came thru I felt it was a cynical ploy. A minus. Maybe others have it a positive.

See my post above ref BNP and the flag.

There is nothing wrong at all at using the national flag to promote the Labour Party, it should be accepted as the norm if they’re going to represent the nation as a government. I also think if a person feels the flag is racist, they are wrong, we as a nation have every right to display, wave and celebrate our national flag. "

not denying that right. And it doesnt feel that way during times of national celebration etc.

But in the context of policial leaflets it has been used a lot by certain groups. That creates an anchoring. It's not saying that the flag is racist, or even feels racist. But for a split second I was expecting the leaflet to be from a more right leaning organisation.

By *eroy1000Man 6 weeks ago

milton keynes

"Keir Starmer is facing discontent from Labour MPs over the dominant use of the union flag in election campaign material amid concern it may alienate ethnic minority voters and others

Why does our flag offend so many people, but our benefits don’t.

"

Maybe Labour are using it to garner support from those considering the reform party by showing that they are happy to wave the flag of the nation without fear. They may have finally realised that hiding away from the flag does them no good and are finally promoting the country they will soon be leading

By *heffielderCouple 6 weeks ago

sheffield

"Labour, and indeed the nation, need a new flag to symbolise the glorious new age we will enter later this year when Sir Kier is crowned leader. What can we suggest?"

A hammer and sycle?

By *uddy laneMan 6 weeks ago

dudley

Mp's swear an oath of allegiance to the United kingdom upon taking their seat in the house, and the flag of the United kingdom is the union jack or union flag, they need to be called out for what they are traitors if they find the flag offensive.

By *oversfunCouple 5 weeks ago

ayrshire

White for snowflakes.

Anybody missed?

"

Got to be better than the butchers apron

By *atEvolutionCouple 5 weeks ago

atlantisEVOLUTION Swingers Club. Stoke.

An Arrow that points in 2 directions on a Field of Red.

So that we are clear that what he said he would do will change direction at any moment, enshrined in the Parties Emblems.

By *ornLordMan 5 weeks ago

Wiltshire and London

A hammer and sycle?"

On your byke?

By *ostindreamsMan 5 weeks ago

London

Just when you think that it's an easy win for Labour, they invent new ways to self-sabotage.

When exactly did a national flag become a symbol of far-right or racism? These idiots who want to remove the flag will happily give their thumbs up if it was a Palestinian flag or a pride flag.

By *otMe66Man 5 weeks ago

Terra Firma

"Just when you think that it's an easy win for Labour, they invent new ways to self-sabotage.

When exactly did a national flag become a symbol of far-right or racism? These idiots who want to remove the flag will happily give their thumbs up if it was a Palestinian flag or a pride flag."

I'm going to defend the Labour party on this one, could be a first...

It isn't the labour party that has created the issue over the flag, it is those amongst us that are chipping away at the countries fabric, making any symbol of the UK a target for the types of comments we have seen. It is working too, plenty of people feeling guilty of getting behind the country, happier to throw the UK under the bus than be proud of it and grab a virtue signalling point while they are at it.

By *eroy1000Man 5 weeks ago

milton keynes

An Arrow that points in 2 directions on a Field of Red.

So that we are clear that what he said he would do will change direction at any moment, enshrined in the Parties Emblems.

"

Only 2 diff directions? He must be improving

By *enSiskoMan 5 weeks ago

Cestus 3

Whilst you all have been debating this important issue, 20 Labour councillors in the NW have resigned and will stand as independents at the next election, sighting KS and his right wing intentions as the reason for these resignations.

Ok back to flag waving.

By *astandFeistyCouple 5 weeks ago

Bournemouth

"Whilst you all have been debating this important issue, 20 Labour councillors in the NW have resigned and will stand as independents at the next election, sighting KS and his right wing intentions as the reason for these resignations.

Ok back to flag waving."

Who said anything about 'right wing intentions'?

Cestus 3

"Whilst you all have been debating this important issue, 20 Labour councillors in the NW have resigned and will stand as independents at the next election, sighting KS and his right wing intentions as the reason for these resignations.

Ok back to flag waving.

Who said anything about 'right wing intentions'?"

Not you

Bournemouth

Ok back to flag waving.

Not you"

Nor the labour councillors

Cestus 3

Ok back to flag waving.

Not you

Nor the labour councillors "

If you say so, then as things go on here you must be right.

Bournemouth

Ok back to flag waving.

Not you

If you say so, then as things go on here you must be right."

I'm asking for you to provide a quote from the councillors stating your claim. It should be really easy.

If you can't, then yes, as I say...

Terra Firma

Ok back to flag waving."

What’s your view on this?

Cestus 3

Ok back to flag waving.

Not you

If you say so, then as things go on here you must be right.

I'm asking for you to provide a quote from the councillors stating your claim. It should be really easy.

If you can't, then yes, as I say..."

I have already stated that you are always right.

Cestus 3

Ok back to flag waving.

What’s your view on this?"

My thoughts are that the press are not reporting this as they usually would but they are not, this is a shift in the press away from the tories, and back to Labour a party who u turn all the time.

These councillors state that they no longer have free speech and left leaning M.Ps are being rejected for M.Ps with a more left leaning stance, they believe Labour are turning to the right.

Which could mean right thinking politics in the future.

Can I ask why is it always you two do you run this forum and no other view is allowed, in the past I have made comments which have come to pass, you will just have to wait until other media outlets are allowed to report the truth.

Cestus 3

These councillors state that they no longer have free speech and left leaning M.Ps are being rejected for M.Ps with a more left leaning stance, they believe Labour are turning to the right.

Sorry typo Right leaning stance

Bournemouth

Ok back to flag waving.

My thoughts are that the press are not reporting this as they usually would but they are not, this is a shift in the press away from the tories, and back to Labour a party who u turn all the time.

Can I ask why is it always you two do you run this forum and no other view is allowed, in the past I have made comments which have come to pass, you will just have to wait until other media outlets are allowed to report the truth."

What do you mean it is always us two?

I've only asked for a quote from the councillors. From what I've read it's to do with Labour's stance on Gaza, nothing to do with 'right leaning'.

Cestus 3

Ok back to flag waving.

Can I ask why is it always you two do you run this forum and no other view is allowed, in the past I have made comments which have come to pass, you will just have to wait until other media outlets are allowed to report the truth.

I've only asked for a quote from the councillors. From what I've read it's to do with Labour's stance on Gaza, nothing to do with 'right leaning'."

I say you two and you turn up that's what I mean seeing as you only asked.

As I say you will have to wait until the media are allowed to tell the truth of what labour have turned into.

I cannot guide you to articles as there are few.

And when you ask for were I get my info, you will just try and trash it.

As I say the media will catch up, over 3 hundred thousand labour supporters have left the party, that kind of news is damaging to their up coming campaign as others will begin to see the light, so people will be kept in the dark until it is to late.

Labour will get in and things will get worst civil liberties will be under further attack, those on benefits especially over fifties will be under attack by means of their benefits.

If these things do not happen well then have your say or disprove what I have said either way I know what I know.

because you do not is not my fault.

By *ostindreamsMan 5 weeks ago

London

"Just when you think that it's an easy win for Labour, they invent new ways to self-sabotage.

When exactly did a national flag become a symbol of far-right or racism? These idiots who want to remove the flag will happily give their thumbs up if it was a Palestinian flag or a pride flag.

It isn't the labour party that has created the issue over the flag, it is those amongst us that are chipping away at the countries fabric, making any symbol of the UK a target for the types of comments we have seen. It is working too, plenty of people feeling guilty of getting behind the country, happier to throw the UK under the bus than be proud of it and grab a virtue signalling point while they are at it."

Agree with that. It's some people's attitude that's root cause for the party's behaviour. Not sure how we managed to create a society where people associate a country's national flag with negativity

Bournemouth

Ok back to flag waving.

I've only asked for a quote from the councillors. From what I've read it's to do with Labour's stance on Gaza, nothing to do with 'right leaning'.

As I say you will have to wait until the media are allowed to tell the truth of what labour have turned into.

As I say the media will catch up, over 3 hundred thousand labour supporters have left the party, that kind of news is damaging to their up coming campaign as others will begin to see the light, so people will be kept in the dark until it is to late.

Labour will get in and things will get worst civil liberties will be under further attack, those on benefits especially over fifties will be under attack by means of their benefits.

If these things do not happen well then have your say or disprove what I have said either way I know what I know.

because you do not is not my fault."

Of course I turn up, it was aimed at me. Should I not comment on a public forum?

You've gone on a massive rant there without providing any sources again. Not to worry, you know what you know, the rest of us can just keep guessing.

Terra Firma

It isn't the labour party that has created the issue over the flag, it is those amongst us that are chipping away at the countries fabric, making any symbol of the UK a target for the types of comments we have seen. It is working too, plenty of people feeling guilty of getting behind the country, happier to throw the UK under the bus than be proud of it and grab a virtue signalling point while they are at it.

Agree with that. It's some people's attitude that's root cause for the party's behaviour. Not sure how we managed to create a society where people associate a country's national flag with negativity "

Lack of governance that has allowed minority views, no matter how obscure to have too much influence over the majority, and now we have a majority suddenly feeling under supported and actually vulnerable in expressing their views.

By *ebauchedDeviantsPt2Couple 5 weeks ago

Cumbria

Agree with that. It's some people's attitude that's root cause for the party's behaviour. Not sure how we managed to create a society where people associate a country's national flag with negativity

Lack of governance that has allowed minority views, no matter how obscure to have too much influence over the majority, and now we have a majority suddenly feeling under supported and actually vulnerable in expressing their views.

"

Is it the majority feeling under supported, or just that you and your friends do?

Terra Firma

Is it the majority feeling under supported, or just that you and your friends do?"

If you’re aware of a wider social view other than the one you prescribe to, you will know the answer to this as it has recently been reported on.

Cestus 3

Ok back to flag waving.

because you do not is not my fault.

Of course I turn up, it was aimed at me. Should I not comment on a public forum?

You've gone on a massive rant there without providing any sources again. Not to worry, you know what you know, the rest of us can just keep guessing. "

Yeh that's correct you always are are right are you not. you know what your talking about do you not.

By * votre serviceMan 5 weeks ago

Birmingham, London , Manchester

[Removed by poster at 03/04/24 14:20:29]

By *ebauchedDeviantsPt2Couple 5 weeks ago

Cumbria

Is it the majority feeling under supported, or just that you and your friends do?

If you’re aware of a wider social view other than the one you prescribe to, you will know the answer to this as it has recently been reported on."

A majority?

» Add a new message to this topic