FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > Politics > Whoopee another Brexit benefit

Whoopee another Brexit benefit

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *I Two OP   Couple 4 weeks ago

all around

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2024/apr/11/new-brexit-checks-to-cost-uk-business-2bn-and-fuel-inflation-report-finds

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *mileyculturebelfastMan 4 weeks ago

belfast

[Removed by poster at 12/04/24 14:45:28]

By *mileyculturebelfastMan 4 weeks ago

belfast

"https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2024/apr/11/new-brexit-checks-to-cost-uk-business-2bn-and-fuel-inflation-report-finds"

Love the fact people are still whinging about brexit.

By *irldnCouple 4 weeks ago

Brighton

"https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2024/apr/11/new-brexit-checks-to-cost-uk-business-2bn-and-fuel-inflation-report-finds

"

To be fair people still bang on about two world wars and one world cup, so I think we can keep moaning about Brexit for a few years yet

By *atEvolutionCouple 4 weeks ago

atlantisEVOLUTION Swingers Club. Stoke.

"https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2024/apr/11/new-brexit-checks-to-cost-uk-business-2bn-and-fuel-inflation-report-finds

To be fair people still bang on about two world wars and one world cup, so I think we can keep moaning about Brexit for a few years yet "

It was a GOAL !!!!!

By *0shadesOfFilthMan 4 weeks ago

nearby

United Kingdom has 38 active free trade agreements with nations and trade blocs, covering 99 countries and territories. Five of these are 'new' trade agreements, such as with Australia and New Zealand. The remaining 33 are continuity agreements

Not all bad news then, five new trade deals to replace the £100bn annual trade loss from leaving the European Union.

By *estivalMan 4 weeks ago

borehamwood

Oh no the sky is falling in,

By *AFKA HovisMan 4 weeks ago

Sindon Swingdon Swindon

"Oh no the sky is falling in, "
with high inflation and the like, 0.2pc inflation is rounding. But it's an interestimg measure.

Would you rather have 0.2pc more pay each year. Or leave eu.

Or roughly speaking you need to work an extra half a day each year to pay for coming out the eu.

By *estivalMan 4 weeks ago

borehamwood

"Oh no the sky is falling in, with high inflation and the like, 0.2pc inflation is rounding. But it's an interestimg measure.

Or roughly speaking you need to work an extra half a day each year to pay for coming out the eu. "

i wasnt botherd either way if we left or not hence not voting, just think it sounds like flogging a dead horse moaning about something that happend nearly 8 years ago and aint changing back anytime soon

Sindon Swingdon Swindon

"Oh no the sky is falling in, with high inflation and the like, 0.2pc inflation is rounding. But it's an interestimg measure.

Or roughly speaking you need to work an extra half a day each year to pay for coming out the eu. i wasnt botherd either way if we left or not hence not voting, just think it sounds like flogging a dead horse moaning about something that happend nearly 8 years ago and aint changing back anytime soon"

fair enough. Your post seemed to be minimising it via sarcasm. Rather than saying it's all irrelevant and in the past.

For me, we learn from feedback. So I'm interested on this. As there's always a variation. Eg ECHR.

By *astandFeistyCouple 4 weeks ago

Bournemouth

Or roughly speaking you need to work an extra half a day each year to pay for coming out the eu. "

So it's a benefit. I can get those lazy staff members to work more because they actually need to, to survive

all around

"United Kingdom has 38 active free trade agreements with nations and trade blocs, covering 99 countries and territories. Five of these are 'new' trade agreements, such as with Australia and New Zealand. The remaining 33 are continuity agreements

Not all bad news then, five new trade deals to replace the £100bn annual trade loss from leaving the European Union. "

So what are we getting from these 5 new trade agreements with Australia and new Zealand ?

Sindon Swingdon Swindon

Or roughly speaking you need to work an extra half a day each year to pay for coming out the eu.

So it's a benefit. I can get those lazy staff members to work more because they actually need to, to survive "

downside is you have to employ lazy locals now. And pay them more. Unless you set your HR department up in Dover.

By *eroy1000Man 4 weeks ago

milton keynes

On a more positive note if I may. It is now reported that the UK is now the fourth largest exporter in the world. Used to be seventh largest in 2021 but now overtaken France, Netherlands and Japan to go into fourth spot.

Sindon Swingdon Swindon

"On a more positive note if I may. It is now reported that the UK is now the fourth largest exporter in the world. Used to be seventh largest in 2021 but now overtaken France, Netherlands and Japan to go into fourth spot."
ohh... Source ? What's caused the jump?

By *otbeefandonionsCouple 4 weeks ago

Bathgate

We export a lot of gold apparently!

By *idnight RamblerMan 4 weeks ago

Pershore

The Guardian you say?

By *eroy1000Man 4 weeks ago

milton keynes

"On a more positive note if I may. It is now reported that the UK is now the fourth largest exporter in the world. Used to be seventh largest in 2021 but now overtaken France, Netherlands and Japan to go into fourth spot.ohh... Source ? What's caused the jump?"

Source is the UN. I saw the story on the city AM site when a colleague mentioned it. It is also in the usual suspects of the mail and also it is on Reddit. They all quote from the United nations trade and development statistics. Seems it is the service industry that is mostly the reason.

By *ohnnyTwoNotesMan 4 weeks ago

golden fields

To be fair people still bang on about two world wars and one world cup, so I think we can keep moaning about Brexit for a few years yet

It was a GOAL !!!!!"

*Own goal

By *ohnnyTwoNotesMan 4 weeks ago

golden fields

"

Has Brexit come good and we haven't been told?

By *oastofReadingMan 4 weeks ago

Reading

"

Didn't stop the anti EU folks whinging about the EU until they achieved Brexit.

So why should pro EU people stop whinging about it until we rejoin?

all around

Has Brexit come good and we haven't been told?"

Have you not got a black passport yet ?

By *AFKA HovisMan 3 weeks ago

Sindon Swingdon Swindon

"On a more positive note if I may. It is now reported that the UK is now the fourth largest exporter in the world. Used to be seventh largest in 2021 but now overtaken France, Netherlands and Japan to go into fourth spot.ohh... Source ? What's caused the jump?

Source is the UN. I saw the story on the city AM site when a colleague mentioned it. It is also in the usual suspects of the mail and also it is on Reddit. They all quote from the United nations trade and development statistics. Seems it is the service industry that is mostly the reason."

thx. The numbers are all very tight so it doesn't take.much to change places. All measured in usd so I wonder how fx plays a part. All the countries around us look fairly stable like us. No big wins or loses.

By *kstallionMan 3 weeks ago

milton keynes

[Removed by poster at 14/04/24 02:33:11]

By *ip2Man 3 weeks ago

Near Maidenhead

The Gov has now admitted that the "Inland Border Facility" is to stop farm plant and animal diseases from coming in.

Stopping the spread of potato disease and pig fever was done jointly.

It was done by the UK and the other EU member countries.

It was done with the EU institutions like the European Commission.

It was done with the EU agencies like the European Food Safety Agency in Parma in Italy.

It was done with the EU data like the Rapid Alert System on Food and Feed.

Did it work? I think it did work well enough because there were hardly any headlines about it.

After all, "EU RASFF does a good job" doesn't make a spectacular headline, does it?

Now all that's been lost and the UK has to struggle on its own with more costs and more bureaucracy and worse data than before.

Everyone loses because the loss of the UK is bad news for all the neighbouring countries as well.

Northern Ireland is partly exempt from the madness but only partly.

And now apparently, being "inland" means the "border facility" won't be able to do its job very well.

It really is an atrocious mess. So much for everything being wonderful like Michael Gove and others claimed before the referendum.

If they'd told the truth and it had been sold in this honest basis and they'd still "won", setting aside all the other problems with the referendum, then it would be easier to live with.

By *eroy1000Man 3 weeks ago

milton keynes

"On a more positive note if I may. It is now reported that the UK is now the fourth largest exporter in the world. Used to be seventh largest in 2021 but now overtaken France, Netherlands and Japan to go into fourth spot.ohh... Source ? What's caused the jump?

Source is the UN. I saw the story on the city AM site when a colleague mentioned it. It is also in the usual suspects of the mail and also it is on Reddit. They all quote from the United nations trade and development statistics. Seems it is the service industry that is mostly the reason.thx. The numbers are all very tight so it doesn't take.much to change places. All measured in usd so I wonder how fx plays a part. All the countries around us look fairly stable like us. No big wins or loses. "

Good to see the UK going to fourth largest I would have thought rather than dropping. If the figures are that tight then all the other countries around it had the same opportunities to climb but did not.

By *anifestoMan 3 weeks ago

dublin and wexford

Yes and it's a pile of shit. My children on EU passports floated through Frankfurt airport lately while I was 90 minutes in the queue being questioned and having my paperwork stamped by the Bundesgrenzschutz.

By *I Two OP   Couple 3 weeks ago

all around

Source is the UN. I saw the story on the city AM site when a colleague mentioned it. It is also in the usual suspects of the mail and also it is on Reddit. They all quote from the United nations trade and development statistics. Seems it is the service industry that is mostly the reason.thx. The numbers are all very tight so it doesn't take.much to change places. All measured in usd so I wonder how fx plays a part. All the countries around us look fairly stable like us. No big wins or loses.

Good to see the UK going to fourth largest I would have thought rather than dropping. If the figures are that tight then all the other countries around it had the same opportunities to climb but did not. "

Total goods exports in 2023 fell by £15.2 billion (4.6%) compared with 2022, with substantial decreases in exports to both EU and non-EU countries. When compared with 2018, total goods exports fell by £44.7 billion (12.4%).1 Mar 2024 source ONS 1/3/24

I suppose it depends where you look ?

milton keynes

Source is the UN. I saw the story on the city AM site when a colleague mentioned it. It is also in the usual suspects of the mail and also it is on Reddit. They all quote from the United nations trade and development statistics. Seems it is the service industry that is mostly the reason.thx. The numbers are all very tight so it doesn't take.much to change places. All measured in usd so I wonder how fx plays a part. All the countries around us look fairly stable like us. No big wins or loses.

Good to see the UK going to fourth largest I would have thought rather than dropping. If the figures are that tight then all the other countries around it had the same opportunities to climb but did not.

Total goods exports in 2023 fell by £15.2 billion (4.6%) compared with 2022, with substantial decreases in exports to both EU and non-EU countries. When compared with 2018, total goods exports fell by £44.7 billion (12.4%).1 Mar 2024 source ONS 1/3/24

I suppose it depends where you look ?"

Where you look and what time frame. The UN report that the UK has gone from seventh to fourth largest exporter. The Latest ONS figures (not going back to 2018) show exports to EU increased 8.4% and exports to non EU increased 15.5% for the 4 quarters to September 23 (last figures showing full breakdown. Newer figures should not to long in coming. Perhaps they will reflect the recent events

all around

Where you look and what time frame. The UN report that the UK has gone from seventh to fourth largest exporter. The Latest ONS figures (not going back to 2018) show exports to EU increased 8.4% and exports to non EU increased 15.5% for the 4 quarters to September 23 (last figures showing full breakdown. Newer figures should not to long in coming. Perhaps they will reflect the recent events"

IMO the world has been in such a mess for the last 4 years that including data prior to 2020 is the only true measure that is meaningful.

milton keynes

Where you look and what time frame. The UN report that the UK has gone from seventh to fourth largest exporter. The Latest ONS figures (not going back to 2018) show exports to EU increased 8.4% and exports to non EU increased 15.5% for the 4 quarters to September 23 (last figures showing full breakdown. Newer figures should not to long in coming. Perhaps they will reflect the recent events

IMO the world has been in such a mess for the last 4 years that including data prior to 2020 is the only true measure that is meaningful.

"

It has been in a mess for sure so I personally thought that the UN showing the UK rising in the export league was good news. Maybe it will drop again in the future, who knows. I'm sure if it does drop back there will be people quite vocal about it. Ref the ONS figures, I'm a bit confused as I have them in front of me and do not see a drop from 2018. The only drop was 2020 which was covid year and then started rising again. 2018 final figure is 679.7, 2023 final figure is 859.2.

all around

It has been in a mess for sure so I personally thought that the UN showing the UK rising in the export league was good news. Maybe it will drop again in the future, who knows. I'm sure if it does drop back there will be people quite vocal about it. Ref the ONS figures, I'm a bit confused as I have them in front of me and do not see a drop from 2018. The only drop was 2020 which was covid year and then started rising again. 2018 final figure is 679.7, 2023 final figure is 859.2. "

That post I did was a simple cut and paste from ons.

milton keynes

It has been in a mess for sure so I personally thought that the UN showing the UK rising in the export league was good news. Maybe it will drop again in the future, who knows. I'm sure if it does drop back there will be people quite vocal about it. Ref the ONS figures, I'm a bit confused as I have them in front of me and do not see a drop from 2018. The only drop was 2020 which was covid year and then started rising again. 2018 final figure is 679.7, 2023 final figure is 859.2.

That post I did was a simple cut and paste from ons.

"

I also copied directly from the ONS. I think though have discovered why different accounts come from the same source. Apologies as it may be a long post. Essentially we are talking about different things. I found the report you mention and was confused as the statements do not match their statements on other pages. I did see they mention 2022 to 2023 figures are distorted by the fuel price rises (amongst other rises) we had back then that have since fallen back which affects the figures as at the time the UK was importing vast amounts of LNG both for itself and to export onto Europe when Russia cut of the gas pipes. They also note that after 2021 the HMRC data collection changed making direct comparisons to previous years inaccurate as there is a structural break. So I understand what they say about 2022 figures and why they were better than 2023(fuel). Then I realised a crucial word that I missed at the beginning of the report and indeed in your earlier post. The word is 'Goods'. Your report is for goods exports only and affected as mentioned above, where as the figures I quoted is total exports so including the service industry (as you know the UK is highly tilted towards the service industry). So first I should apologise for any confusion as I did not pick up on the crucial word which is entirely my fault. Good news is that as a whole (goods and services) and confirmed by the UN and ONS the economy is larger in 2023 than 2022 and obviously significantly higher than 2018.

By *ohnnyTwoNotesMan 3 weeks ago

golden fields

Have you not got a black passport yet ?"

Not yet!

Still I'm sure some people will still celebrate a downgraded passport as victory.

The Brexit threads were more fun when there were still people holding on for some kind of free unicorn. But it seems there aren't (m)any left.

By *mateur100Man 3 weeks ago

nr faversham

Not yet!

Still I'm sure some people will still celebrate a downgraded passport as victory.

The Brexit threads were more fun when there were still people holding on for some kind of free unicorn. But it seems there aren't (m)any left."

Would you vote to rejoin should the labour govt make the offer?

all around

Not yet!

The Brexit threads were more fun when there were still people holding on for some kind of free unicorn. But it seems there aren't (m)any left.

Would you vote to rejoin should the labour govt make the offer?"

I wouldn't because the UK would never get the deal we chucked away.

golden fields

Not yet!

Would you vote to rejoin should the labour govt make the offer?"

Depends.

My opinion is that a proper project to find the impacts of rejoining. Basically the opposite of what they did last time (bunch of bullshit lies).

I'm not convinced that simply rejoining would magically undo all the Brexit shit we have. Plus we wouldn't be allowed to have the same privileged position we used to.

And whichever party being in power, Tories or Tories-lite, wouldn't impact my opinion.

By *ermbiMan 3 weeks ago

Ballyshannon

"United Kingdom has 38 active free trade agreements with nations and trade blocs, covering 99 countries and territories. Five of these are 'new' trade agreements, such as with Australia and New Zealand. The remaining 33 are continuity agreements

Not all bad news then, five new trade deals to replace the £100bn annual trade loss from leaving the European Union. "

The agreement with Japan amounts the same as what it costs to run the Commonwealth office for a year. Nothing to brag about from a major economy. If that's the level of trade agreements out there then the dark clouds still shadow the UK

By *ermbiMan 3 weeks ago

Ballyshannon

Source is the UN. I saw the story on the city AM site when a colleague mentioned it. It is also in the usual suspects of the mail and also it is on Reddit. They all quote from the United nations trade and development statistics. Seems it is the service industry that is mostly the reason."

The source is the UN lol. Post the report please

By *ermbiMan 3 weeks ago

Ballyshannon

Not yet!

"

Leave voters believed the lies bring spouted. No reliable figures or reports. A real lesson on how to woefully prepare a national for a substantial referendum. A referendum commission should have been set up to lay out impartial and correct information instead of rubbish promises on the side of buses. The UK should stay clear from ever running another referendum. Politicians boast how the UK is best in the world at everything. If this is the case then it is a very low bar. Tories should be eliminated from the electoral map at the next election.

By *tuhelCouple 3 weeks ago

Livingstone

"

Before Brexit numerous international financial organisations estimated that it will take 20 years before Britain returns to its pre-Brexit position. Needless to say, by that time, the other world economies will have moved on.

Still we are spending £350 million more each week on the NHS, arent we? and we have taken back control; haven't we?

Brexit moans will continue until Britain regains it's pre-Brexit position. So, Brexiteers, suck it up! It is your fault for believing chancers and charlatans.

milton keynes

Source is the UN. I saw the story on the city AM site when a colleague mentioned it. It is also in the usual suspects of the mail and also it is on Reddit. They all quote from the United nations trade and development statistics. Seems it is the service industry that is mostly the reason.

The source is the UN lol. Post the report please"

The source is the UN conference on trade statistics. As mentioned I saw it on the city AM site after it was mentioned to me by a colleague. It is on a few other sites to like the mail etc. Another poster found it and did not dispute the outcome, only that it's quite tight between nations.

all around

Before Brexit numerous international financial organisations estimated that it will take 20 years before Britain returns to its pre-Brexit position. Needless to say, by that time, the other world economies will have moved on.

Still we are spending £350 million more each week on the NHS, arent we? and we have taken back control; haven't we?

Brexit moans will continue until Britain regains it's pre-Brexit position. So, Brexiteers, suck it up! It is your fault for believing chancers and charlatans. "

I guess all the russian bots and Pootins cash paid off achieving what he wanted, UK isolated and vulnerable

By *AFKA HovisMan 3 weeks ago

Sindon Swingdon Swindon

The source is the UN conference on trade statistics. As mentioned I saw it on the city AM site after it was mentioned to me by a colleague. It is on a few other sites to like the mail etc. Another poster found it and did not dispute the outcome, only that it's quite tight between nations."

source is legit. Ons references it. Albeit they quite 5th in 2022!

2022 was a big jump for us. 2023 has been flat. So no idea if we are still champions league or back into Thursday night football.

But we should definitely be happy that we are still in with a shout. It's not a Brexit bonus, but also not a Brexit blunder.

By *ustaboutSaneMan 3 weeks ago

BelLiv

"On a more positive note if I may. It is now reported that the UK is now the fourth largest exporter in the world. Used to be seventh largest in 2021 but now overtaken France, Netherlands and Japan to go into fourth spot.ohh... Source ? What's caused the jump?"

BBC News - German economy is in 'troubled waters' - ministry

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-68361717

OECD published forcasts on 5th Feb 2024.

There are others that may differ from this.

By *ustaboutSaneMan 3 weeks ago

BelLiv

Brexit moans will continue until Britain regains it's pre-Brexit position. So, Brexiteers, suck it up! It is your fault for believing chancers and charlatans. "

I've yet to see any brexiteers complain about brexit, but only remainers. Brexiteers never said it would be immediately in its benefits, but all know long term it's best to take more control over our own decisions.

Same financial institutions you referring too forecasted banks moving out of London into the EU. Interesting all these years later London is still the world's financial center. Yes some banking institutions moved some money out into Europe and elsewhere, but that's normal daily practice as they carry on their business and they also move it back.

Moaners will always be moaners though.

golden fields

Brexit moans will continue until Britain regains it's pre-Brexit position. So, Brexiteers, suck it up! It is your fault for believing chancers and charlatans.

I've yet to see any brexiteers complain about brexit,

"

Because they're in denial or because they're simply unaware of what the impacts have been?

"

but only remainers. Brexiteers never said it would be immediately in its benefits,

"

This is exactly what people were told.

"There is no downside to Brexit, only a considerable upside" David Davis

"

but all know long term it's best to take more control over our own decisions.

"

How long do we have to wait to see if there is an indication that there might be a benefit at some point?

We had control over decisions, now we have to comply with EU regulations to trade there, only we no longer have any say in them. We have less control.

"

Same financial institutions you referring too forecasted banks moving out of London into the EU. Interesting all these years later London is still the world's financial center. Yes some banking institutions moved some money out into Europe and elsewhere, but that's normal daily practice as they carry on their business and they also move it back.

Moaners will always be moaners though."

You seem to have argued against yourself there.

Why shouldn't people discuss the impact of Brexit? So that people who voted for this bullshit don't have to keep being reminded they were conned?

all around

"

I've yet to see any brexiteers complain about brexit, but only remainers. Brexiteers never said it would be immediately in its benefits, but all know long term it's best to take more control over our own decisions.

"

Really

all around

[Removed by poster at 15/04/24 10:43:26]

all around

It seems like we are now subjected to the " I don't have a single example of a Brexit success but I'll just insult you because you didn't vote for it" attitude.

all around

And a constant barrage of deflection and manipulation of statistics

By *iman2100Man 3 weeks ago

Glasgow

I guess all the russian bots and Pootins cash paid off achieving what he wanted, UK isolated and vulnerable "

Yes, but look how many fell for it! They would have bought gallons of snake oil in the old wild west.

By *ermbiMan 3 weeks ago

Ballyshannon

Moaners will always be moaners though."

Let's hear your brilliant list of Brexit benefits. Humour us

golden fields

Let's hear your brilliant list of Brexit benefits. Humour us"

1. Esc0rts have made lots of money at the mega truck parks on Kent from bored truckers waiting to get through the extra red tape.

2. More profit for EU based shellfish fishers and cleaning businesses as they don't have imports from the UK anymore.

3. Ultra rich can continue to hide their funds offshore and avoid the EU tightening of tax loopholes.

4. The Brexit _estival.

5. Different coloured passports that we could have had anyway, that are now less useful than our EU membership passports.

I think that's it so far.

milton keynes

The source is the UN conference on trade statistics. As mentioned I saw it on the city AM site after it was mentioned to me by a colleague. It is on a few other sites to like the mail etc. Another poster found it and did not dispute the outcome, only that it's quite tight between nations.source is legit. Ons references it. Albeit they quite 5th in 2022!

2022 was a big jump for us. 2023 has been flat. So no idea if we are still champions league or back into Thursday night football.

But we should definitely be happy that we are still in with a shout. It's not a Brexit bonus, but also not a Brexit blunder. "

It does indeed quote jumping from seventh in 2021 to fourth in 2022 overtaking Japan amongst others and as the article is only days old, I expect it is the latest available. I at no point claimed it as a benefit or blunder. I only said in my opinion it is good news. When the reverse happens which at some point it surely will I'm sure there will be those more vocal about it.

milton keynes

Not yet!

"

To me that sounds like membership is only worth it with a special deal the UK previously had. Other major economies seem to judge membership as beneficial without a special deal. To me giving up the pound will be hard to overcome for many but as times change so do opinions I guess

golden fields

Not yet!

To me that sounds like membership is only worth it with a special deal the UK previously had. Other major economies seem to judge membership as beneficial without a special deal. To me giving up the pound will be hard to overcome for many but as times change so do opinions I guess"

I lived in Eurozone countries. Using a different currency wasn't an issue for me, or for anyone sensible.

all around

Not yet!

To me that sounds like membership is only worth it with a special deal the UK previously had. Other major economies seem to judge membership as beneficial without a special deal. To me giving up the pound will be hard to overcome for many but as times change so do opinions I guess"

Membership may be beneficial but if Tesco gave you a 20% off card would you tear it up and still shop there at full price.

milton keynes

Not yet!

To me that sounds like membership is only worth it with a special deal the UK previously had. Other major economies seem to judge membership as beneficial without a special deal. To me giving up the pound will be hard to overcome for many but as times change so do opinions I guess

Membership may be beneficial but if Tesco gave you a 20% off card would you tear it up and still shop there at full price. "

So that's an argument for not leaving in the first place instead of would you rejoin without the previous deal. The so called discount card is not available in this question. You liken EU membership to shopping at the full price. Other countries have not got this discount card and never had it but seem content, on the surface at least. With the exception of possibly those not keen on giving up the pound I was expecting much more enthusiasm for rejoining.

By *ermbiMan 3 weeks ago

Ballyshannon

1. Esc0rts have made lots of money at the mega truck parks on Kent from bored truckers waiting to get through the extra red tape.

2. More profit for EU based shellfish fishers and cleaning businesses as they don't have imports from the UK anymore.

3. Ultra rich can continue to hide their funds offshore and avoid the EU tightening of tax loopholes.

4. The Brexit _estival.

5. Different coloured passports that we could have had anyway, that are now less useful than our EU membership passports.

I think that's it so far."

Wow a list of 5. Really worth it. You forgot about taking back control...of nothing lol

By *orses and PoniesMan 3 weeks ago

Ealing

Not yet!

Leave voters believed the lies bring spouted. No reliable figures or reports. A real lesson on how to woefully prepare a national for a substantial referendum. A referendum commission should have been set up to lay out impartial and correct information instead of rubbish promises on the side of buses. The UK should stay clear from ever running another referendum. Politicians boast how the UK is best in the world at everything. If this is the case then it is a very low bar. Tories should be eliminated from the electoral map at the next election. "

. The referendum was extremely successfull and presented every voter with an opportunity to have a say in the future of the country .

Facts and figures were clearly presented and during the campaign everyone had the opportunity to raise queries . There were numerous discussions on TV , at workplaces and in the press .

If anything some voters were influenced by the governments warning of an immediate economic recession should we leave and as such the support for vote leave may be understated .

Leaving has made little difference to our trade with the EU but we now have the advantage of being able to trade outside the EU on terms which we agree with the countries concerned .

Those involved in running a businness have simply carried on as normal and made a few small administration changes.

By *ermbiMan 3 weeks ago

Ballyshannon

Not yet!

Leave voters believed the lies bring spouted. No reliable figures or reports. A real lesson on how to woefully prepare a national for a substantial referendum. A referendum commission should have been set up to lay out impartial and correct information instead of rubbish promises on the side of buses. The UK should stay clear from ever running another referendum. Politicians boast how the UK is best in the world at everything. If this is the case then it is a very low bar. Tories should be eliminated from the electoral map at the next election. . The referendum was extremely successfull and presented every voter with an opportunity to have a say in the future of the country .

Facts and figures were clearly presented and during the campaign everyone had the opportunity to raise queries . There were numerous discussions on TV , at workplaces and in the press .

If anything some voters were influenced by the governments warning of an immediate economic recession should we leave and as such the support for vote leave may be understated .

Leaving has made little difference to our trade with the EU but we now have the advantage of being able to trade outside the EU on terms which we agree with the countries concerned .

Those involved in running a businness have simply carried on as normal and made a few small administration changes. "

That's the best piece of comedy I've read in a long time. You should do it for a living.

golden fields

Not yet!

Leave voters believed the lies bring spouted. No reliable figures or reports. A real lesson on how to woefully prepare a national for a substantial referendum. A referendum commission should have been set up to lay out impartial and correct information instead of rubbish promises on the side of buses. The UK should stay clear from ever running another referendum. Politicians boast how the UK is best in the world at everything. If this is the case then it is a very low bar. Tories should be eliminated from the electoral map at the next election. . The referendum was extremely successfull and presented every voter with an opportunity to have a say in the future of the country .

Those involved in running a businness have simply carried on as normal and made a few small administration changes. "

Why don't Brexit voters ever answer you back?

No one savages leavers like you do and gets away with it.

all around

Not yet!

Thanks for the input Boris Johnson, who'd have guessed you were a swinger

Ealing

Not yet!

Those involved in running a businness have simply carried on as normal and made a few small administration changes.

Thanks for the input Boris Johnson, who'd have guessed you were a swinger "

. Maybe a reality check would be to start downloading the published accounts of a few PLCs and read both the directors reports and the audited P+L. Brexit hardly gets a mention.

golden fields

Not yet!

Thanks for the input Boris Johnson, who'd have guessed you were a swinger . Maybe a reality check would be to start downloading the published accounts of a few PLCs and read both the directors reports and the audited P+L. Brexit hardly gets a mention. "

Brexit wasn't mentioned at all in Nigella Lawson's last cook book. Therefore Brexit is great.

Amazing.

all around

Not yet!

Thanks for the input Boris Johnson, who'd have guessed you were a swinger . Maybe a reality check would be to start downloading the published accounts of a few PLCs and read both the directors reports and the audited P+L. Brexit hardly gets a mention. "

Small businesses mention brexit quite a bit as do the fishermen and the farmers and ....

It's easy to ignore the negatives and there really aren't any positives.

Ealing

Not yet!

Thanks for the input Boris Johnson, who'd have guessed you were a swinger . Maybe a reality check would be to start downloading the published accounts of a few PLCs and read both the directors reports and the audited P+L. Brexit hardly gets a mention.

Small businesses mention brexit quite a bit as do the fishermen and the farmers and ....

It's easy to ignore the negatives and there really aren't any positives."

We are now the World's fourth largest exporter having move moved up the ranks from number 7. It looks like leaving is now achieving the results expected.

all around

Not yet!

Thanks for the input Boris Johnson, who'd have guessed you were a swinger . Maybe a reality check would be to start downloading the published accounts of a few PLCs and read both the directors reports and the audited P+L. Brexit hardly gets a mention.

It's easy to ignore the negatives and there really aren't any positives. We are now the World's fourth largest exporter having move moved up the ranks from number 7. It looks like leaving is now achieving the results expected. "

As someone said, coincidence or in spite of not because of.

all around

Source ONS

1.Main points

The value of goods imports decreased by £2.6 billion (5.4%) in December 2023, with falls in imports from both EU and non-EU countries, primarily driven by decreased imports of fuels.

The value of goods exports decreased by £0.7 billion (2.2%) in December 2023, because of lower exports to the EU.

The total trade in goods and services deficit widened by £6.2 billion to £14.9 billion in Quarter 4 (Oct to Dec) 2023, because of a large fall in exports of services.

The trade in goods deficit widened by £1.4 billion to £49.9 billion in Quarter 4 2023, while the trade in services surplus is estimated to have narrowed by £4.8 billion to £34.9 billion.

Total imports of goods and services fell slightly in 2023, while annual total exports rose by £36.8 billion (4.6%), which saw the total annual trade balance narrow by £36.7 billion to a deficit of £53.0 billion.

By *irldnCouple 3 weeks ago

Brighton

What I love about the ongoing Brexiters argument is…

1. Everything good is as a result of Brexit.

2. Everything bad is not as a result of Brexit.

It’s like there cannot ever be any crossover. That good and bad in relation to Brexit is mutually exclusive.

Of course there are going to be some good things as a result of Brexit. Of course there are going to be some bad things because of Brexit. But which outweighs the other and who is benefitting?

By *idnight RamblerMan 3 weeks ago

Pershore

"What I love about the ongoing Brexiters argument is…

It’s like there cannot ever be any crossover. That good and bad in relation to Brexit is mutually exclusive.

Of course there are going to be some good things as a result of Brexit. Of course there are going to be some bad things because of Brexit. But which outweighs the other and who is benefitting?"

And even then, what weight do you attach to different pros/cons both economic and political? It will be min. 25 years before we have an inkling if Brexit was worth it.

all around

Of course there are going to be some good things as a result of Brexit. Of course there are going to be some bad things because of Brexit. But which outweighs the other and who is benefitting?

And even then, what weight do you attach to different pros/cons both economic and political? It will be min. 25 years before we have an inkling if Brexit was worth it."

In 25 years the world will be a very different place.

Was it worth the upheaval and pain for something that may never materialise or should we have stayed and forced changes on the EU ?

Who knows.

Brighton

And even then, what weight do you attach to different pros/cons both economic and political? It will be min. 25 years before we have an inkling if Brexit was worth it.

In 25 years the world will be a very different place.

Was it worth the upheaval and pain for something that may never materialise or should we have stayed and forced changes on the EU ?

Who knows.

"

IMHO stayed but used referendum as leverage to force change and get the additional concessions Cameron failed to secure.

golden fields

And even then, what weight do you attach to different pros/cons both economic and political? It will be min. 25 years before we have an inkling if Brexit was worth it."

Lolz

By *mileyculturebelfastMan 3 weeks ago

belfast

Didn't stop the anti EU folks whinging about the EU until they achieved Brexit.

So why should pro EU people stop whinging about it until we rejoin?"

We won't rejoin. The EU was shite. If it was so good why did they try so hard to stop us leaving?

Others will follow.

Keep whinging. I'll keep laughing

By *mileyculturebelfastMan 3 weeks ago

belfast

4. The Brexit _estival.

Wow a list of 5. Really worth it. You forgot about taking back control...of nothing lol"

You're not from the UK so nothing to do with you really, is it.

golden fields

4. The Brexit _estival.

Wow a list of 5. Really worth it. You forgot about taking back control...of nothing lol

You're not from the UK so nothing to do with you really, is it. "

Based on your last two posts, you're my stereotype of a Brexit voter. I'd like to hear more of your thoughts.

milton keynes

"Source ONS

1.Main points

The value of goods imports decreased by £2.6 billion (5.4%) in December 2023, with falls in imports from both EU and non-EU countries, primarily driven by decreased imports of fuels.

The value of goods exports decreased by £0.7 billion (2.2%) in December 2023, because of lower exports to the EU.

The total trade in goods and services deficit widened by £6.2 billion to £14.9 billion in Quarter 4 (Oct to Dec) 2023, because of a large fall in exports of services.

The trade in goods deficit widened by £1.4 billion to £49.9 billion in Quarter 4 2023, while the trade in services surplus is estimated to have narrowed by £4.8 billion to £34.9 billion.

Total imports of goods and services fell slightly in 2023, while annual total exports rose by £36.8 billion (4.6%), which saw the total annual trade balance narrow by £36.7 billion to a deficit of £53.0 billion.

"

The first part of your post seems focussed on one month (December) and rings true as we know the UK is in a technical recession. I would expect similar in January this year, maybe even February and then see an improvement. The second part of your post is for the year as a whole and shows the increase in exports (goods and services) and a decreases in imports which are both good news. Total exports continue to improve each year with the obvious exception of the 2020 covid year

By *astandFeistyCouple 3 weeks ago

Bournemouth

What I love about the ongoing Remainers argument is…

1. Everything bad is as a result of Brexit.

2. Everything good is not as a result of Brexit.

all around

"What I love about the ongoing Remainers argument is…

"

More repeats than the BBC lol

Brighton

"What I love about the ongoing Remainers argument is…

"

By *ermbiMan 3 weeks ago

Ballyshannon

Still waiting on the benefits of Brexit list... maybe we have to wait 25yrs for that too lol

Ealing

"Still waiting on the benefits of Brexit list... maybe we have to wait 25yrs for that too lol"
The benefits should be blatantly obvious as our recent trade figures indicate.

We still trade with the EU the only difference being minor differences in terms. Trade with counties outside the EU is notmw on our terms and those agreed with individual countries concerned .

Removal of freedom of movement is also a significant benefit . Companies van no longer rely on cheap important labour and need to focus on a more long term approach.

The UaK has moved up the list of exporters , from seventh to forth. .

By *iman2100Man 3 weeks ago

Glasgow

"Still waiting on the benefits of Brexit list... maybe we have to wait 25yrs for that too lol The benefits should be blatantly obvious as our recent trade figures indicate.

We still trade with the EU the only difference being minor differences in terms. Trade with counties outside the EU is notmw on our terms and those agreed with individual countries concerned .

Removal of freedom of movement is also a significant benefit . Companies van no longer rely on cheap important labour and need to focus on a more long term approach.

The UaK has moved up the list of exporters , from seventh to forth. . "

Isn't to export related to arms sales? You can buy an awful lot of JCB diggers for the price of a tank.

golden fields

"Still waiting on the benefits of Brexit list... maybe we have to wait 25yrs for that too lol The benefits should be blatantly obvious as our recent trade figures indicate.

"

Do you have any indication of how leaving the EU has helped here. Or are you taking the piss out of people who don't understand the difference between causality and correlation?

"

"

True, we're trying to negotiate trade deals from a weaker position. Definitely a Brexit disbenefit. I agree.

"

"

Definitely much harder for British businesses to get staff, lots are really struggling. Plus British people, especially younger, have had opportunities removed from them that we have had to live and work within the EU.

But as you mentioned, people who think Brexit is a good idea might be so confused that they think this is a benefit.

"

Crab sticks do not actually contain any crab. From 1993, manufacturers have been legally obliged to label them 'Crab Flavoured Sticks'.

By *ermbiMan 2 weeks ago

Ballyshannon

Movement on list of exporters can hardly be deemed a Brexit benefit. Get real.

Trade deals with other countries have been inadequately poor. The value of the deal with Japan (a major economy) equates to what it takes to run the Commonwealth office over a year. If this is a trade deal with a major economy then the rest of the trade deal will amount to very little.

A poorly argued referendum which misguided the electorate.

By *irldnCouple 2 weeks ago

Brighton

"Removal of freedom of movement is also a significant benefit . Companies van no longer rely on cheap important labour and need to focus on a more long term approach.

"

British companies have to pay more for British staff = yay!

BoE cites wage increases as major contributor to sticky inflation over past two years and wrack up base rate making mortgages, loans, credit cards, and company finance much more expensive = boo!

By *astandFeistyCouple 2 weeks ago

Bournemouth

"Removal of freedom of movement is also a significant benefit . Companies van no longer rely on cheap important labour and need to focus on a more long term approach.

BoE cites wage increases as major contributor to sticky inflation over past two years and wrack up base rate making mortgages, loans, credit cards, and company finance much more expensive = boo!"

I hear that, not sure it's been a MAJOR contributor but for the sake of debate I hear it.

We surely can't have it both ways though.

By *irldnCouple 2 weeks ago

Brighton

BoE cites wage increases as major contributor to sticky inflation over past two years and wrack up base rate making mortgages, loans, credit cards, and company finance much more expensive = boo!

I hear that, not sure it's been a MAJOR contributor but for the sake of debate I hear it.

We surely can't have it both ways though. "

I see the BoE cite wage inflation in UK in most/many articles. If it is frequently/always on the list then I’d say it was a major contributor but won’t die in a ditch over it.

We’ve seen people celebrating higher earnings now the cheaper EU labour has gone but failing to understand their costs have gone up too.

By *astandFeistyCouple 2 weeks ago

Bournemouth

We surely can't have it both ways though.

I see the BoE cite wage inflation in UK in most/many articles. If it is frequently/always on the list then I’d say it was a major contributor but won’t die in a ditch over it.

We’ve seen people celebrating higher earnings now the cheaper EU labour has gone but failing to understand their costs have gone up too."

Exactly why I said we can't have it both ways.

By *eroy1000Man 2 weeks ago

milton keynes

We surely can't have it both ways though. "

Indeed not. Not so long ago the argument was that companies need to give staff big pay rises due to inflation, especially those on strike. It was said at the time that it leads to higher wage bill and in turn higher prices. I have personally benefited from a reduction in cheap Labour but understand the money has to come from somewhere.

By *uriousCouple 200Couple 2 weeks ago

leeds

Can honestly say its helped in my line of work as theres no tradesmen left lol probably an increase of around 7.50 p/hr over the last few years but then on the other hand that just gets passed on to homebuyers anyway and so on ect

By *ip2Man 2 weeks ago

Near Maidenhead

"Removal of freedom of movement is also a significant benefit"

The next Alzheimer Europe research conference is going to be in Geneva.

Why not in Glasgow, for example? Because no freedom of movement means everyone from all the EU and EEA countries except Ireland would have to apply and pay in advance for business visas.

On top of that, for extra fun the UK government now wants all visitors to have passports.

Lots of EU and EEA peeps don't have passports. Just their cheaper or free ID card will do. Switzerland is in Schengen.

Apparently, exhibiting at trade shows in Switzerland is a hassle because of border bureaucracy because Switzerland is not in the EU customs union.

But then the UK is not in the customs union either.

By *idnight RamblerMan 2 weeks ago

Pershore

"Removal of freedom of movement is also a significant benefit

The next Alzheimer Europe research conference is going to be in Geneva.

Why not in Glasgow, for example? Because no freedom of movement means everyone from all the EU and EEA countries except Ireland would have to apply and pay in advance for business visas.

On top of that, for extra fun the UK government now wants all visitors to have passports.

Lots of EU and EEA peeps don't have passports. Just their cheaper or free ID card will do. Switzerland is in Schengen.

Apparently, exhibiting at trade shows in Switzerland is a hassle because of border bureaucracy because Switzerland is not in the EU customs union.

But then the UK is not in the customs union either."

Why would they need business visas for a conference lasting a few days? I attend trade shows all over the world on short stay visas on entry. Holding passports is hardly unique either - every country in the world has them, together with border controls.

By *ip2Man 2 weeks ago

Near Maidenhead

"hy would they need business visas for a conference lasting a few days?"

Because that's how mad the Government is. Here's what

Leeds University has to say about it:

"Do I need a visa for a conference in the UK?

It depends how long they're staying and what they'll be doing while they're in the UK. If they're just coming to attend your conference, it's likely they'll need a Standard Visitor Visa (Business route). NOTE: The full guidance doesn't specify the business route, but that's the correct route to take".

https://hr.leeds.ac.uk/download/downloads/id/811/visa-guidance-for-business-events-and-conferences---summary.pdf

People who say "needing passports is hardly unique" may not understand our nearest neighbours.

There are lots of people in Continental Europe who never need to travel outside of the EU or EEA.

Yes, those who go to conferences in North America or the Far East will have a passport.

But, my point still stands. France issues ID cards free. Passports cost French citizens euros - and the time taken up by having to apply for it.

The UK was able to compete in the regional European conference market.

Not being in Schengen was a bit of a handicap. Who wants to queue at Heathrow?

Not taking euros was a bit of a handicap.

But now conference organisers may simply not bother with all these maybes and tedious costly forms.

It's not impossible. There may still be attractions. It's just that often it might be too much trouble to be worth it.

The UK had the privilege of hosting two of the most sought-after EU agencies. The European Medicines Agency, and the European Banking Authority.

Now they've both gone from London to Amsterdam and Paris.

The presence of the EU agencies may have been another reason to host a conference in London.

The loss of conference business means less for the hospitality sector.

It's just another example of the absurd self-inflicted damage the British have done to themselves.

It's like this in every sector from academia to agriculture to chemicals to legal advice.

Everywhere, things that were simple and easy are now hamstrung with miserable costs and paperwork. It's not the only thing making life worse in the UK but it's one of them.

And all of it means the UK has lost its reputation. It's less trusted. It's a country that breaks its promises. It's mean to migrants. It has limited the options of its own citizens. Its own citizens can be migrants too.

By *ust RachelTV/TS 1 week ago

Eastbourne

There is now a Brexit bonus.

All the asylum seekers landing in Ireland, can't be sent to the UK. Unless the EU, accepts th3n being sent back as well.

By *deepdiveMan 1 week ago

France / Birmingham

[Removed by poster at 30/04/24 06:10:34]

France / Birmingham

"There is now a Brexit bonus.

All the asylum seekers landing in Ireland, can't be sent to the UK. Unless the EU, accepts th3n being sent back as well."

In theory, this being the case, the EU would no longer need to try and stop asylum seekers from crossing the channel so the UK would save a fortune by no longer needing to pay the French to patrol the beaches.

Yet another Brexit benefit!

By *eroy1000Man 1 week ago

milton keynes

All the asylum seekers landing in Ireland, can't be sent to the UK. Unless the EU, accepts th3n being sent back as well."

I understand it provides an opportunity to make an agreement which is what the UK government have mentioned. I watched a few bits yesterday. On politics live someone claimed it was already legal to send them back to France but it was pointed out that as the UK is not in the Dublin agreement anymore then it can only be done with consent from the country they are being sent back to and the individuals themselves. Hence the problem Ireland have is regardless of laws they pass they still need consent. Ireland and France may end up wanting a different outcome to each other on this

France / Birmingham

All the asylum seekers landing in Ireland, can't be sent to the UK. Unless the EU, accepts th3n being sent back as well.

I understand it provides an opportunity to make an agreement which is what the UK government have mentioned. I watched a few bits yesterday. On politics live someone claimed it was already legal to send them back to France but it was pointed out that as the UK is not in the Dublin agreement anymore then it can only be done with consent from the country they are being sent back to and the individuals themselves. Hence the problem Ireland have is regardless of laws they pass they still need consent. Ireland and France may end up wanting a different outcome to each other on this "

Let's face it, nobody wants them and every country will do what they can within the law to get rid of them.

They are a burden on the tax payer and there is no country that can afford to take an unlimited amount of them.

At some point, it has to stop.

The UK has to be careful how it applies the rules as well.

It cannot ask France to stop migrants coming to the UK if it does nothing to stop them going to Ireland.

That is simply not going to wash.

milton keynes

I understand it provides an opportunity to make an agreement which is what the UK government have mentioned. I watched a few bits yesterday. On politics live someone claimed it was already legal to send them back to France but it was pointed out that as the UK is not in the Dublin agreement anymore then it can only be done with consent from the country they are being sent back to and the individuals themselves. Hence the problem Ireland have is regardless of laws they pass they still need consent. Ireland and France may end up wanting a different outcome to each other on this

Let's face it, nobody wants them and every country will do what they can within the law to get rid of them.

They are a burden on the tax payer and there is no country that can afford to take an unlimited amount of them.

It cannot ask France to stop migrants coming to the UK if it does nothing to stop them going to Ireland.

That is simply not going to wash."

Certainly the rules need to be applied correctly and as far as I am aware that is what is happening. The UK and France have their own agreement in that France tries to stop the crossings or at least reduce them. For this the are paid large sums of money. The UK and Ireland have no such deal as yet. That may or may not change but at present the rules seem to be being applied.

France / Birmingham

Certainly the rules need to be applied correctly and as far as I am aware that is what is happening. The UK and France have their own agreement in that France tries to stop the crossings or at least reduce them. For this the are paid large sums of money. The UK and Ireland have no such deal as yet. That may or may not change but at present the rules seem to be being applied."

If I were the French, I would simply say to the UK to keep their money to help fund the NHS (along with the other Brexit benefit of £350m a week) then let the migrants do as they wish.

Cheaper for the French taxpayer (me) - that's for sure. Those villages in Calais would disappear very quickly and there would be far less problems!

If the UK want to let them cross to Ireland then also fine.

Why should the British stop them going to Ireland and why should the French stop them going to a England?

By *ermbiMan 1 week ago

Ballyshannon

That's not correct. That's Rishi's view on it. There is already an agreement in place to send asylum seekers back I'd they end up in each others country within the common travel area. As usual the brutish press have it wrong. Rishi can't be renaging on another agreement. Seems to be a habit of Tory governments

milton keynes

Certainly the rules need to be applied correctly and as far as I am aware that is what is happening. The UK and France have their own agreement in that France tries to stop the crossings or at least reduce them. For this the are paid large sums of money. The UK and Ireland have no such deal as yet. That may or may not change but at present the rules seem to be being applied.

If I were the French, I would simply say to the UK to keep their money to help fund the NHS (along with the other Brexit benefit of £350m a week) then let the migrants do as they wish.

Cheaper for the French taxpayer (me) - that's for sure. Those villages in Calais would disappear very quickly and there would be far less problems!

Why should the British stop them going to Ireland and why should the French stop them going to a England?

"

I can understand that and would welcome not sending money to France for them to shadow people until they get into British waters. As things stand though the more that get to the UK the more get to southern Ireland. It seems that recently the UK is not the final destination but another transit country for the migrants.

By *AFKA HovisMan 1 week ago

Sindon Swingdon Swindon

I can understand that and would welcome not sending money to France for them to shadow people until they get into British waters. As things stand though the more that get to the UK the more get to southern Ireland. It seems that recently the UK is not the final destination but another transit country for the migrants."

if inecsll correctly, I've seen something that suggest france stop half. I'd guess that if we took this approach the increase in crossings will be more than the increase to dublin. Be a risky gamble imo. So I expect sunek to play that card

milton keynes

I can understand that and would welcome not sending money to France for them to shadow people until they get into British waters. As things stand though the more that get to the UK the more get to southern Ireland. It seems that recently the UK is not the final destination but another transit country for the migrants.if inecsll correctly, I've seen something that suggest france stop half. I'd guess that if we took this approach the increase in crossings will be more than the increase to dublin. Be a risky gamble imo. So I expect sunek to play that card "

I suspect he may use it as bluff but unlikely to go through with it. He seems to refer to the EU instead of Ireland in his comments when talking about returns. I think this refers to the EU saying a while back that returns policy needs to be with the EU not individual countries, though May have misunderstood. Regardless of any of this, Ireland and the migrants only have to hold out until the GE as they know Labour will scrap the whole thing and go back to the start.

By *erri_kissesTV/TS 1 week ago

Islington

"

*gif of dog in burning house saying “this is fine…*

By *idnight RamblerMan 7 days ago

Pershore

I can understand that and would welcome not sending money to France for them to shadow people until they get into British waters. As things stand though the more that get to the UK the more get to southern Ireland. It seems that recently the UK is not the final destination but another transit country for the migrants.if inecsll correctly, I've seen something that suggest france stop half. I'd guess that if we took this approach the increase in crossings will be more than the increase to dublin. Be a risky gamble imo. So I expect sunek to play that card

I suspect he may use it as bluff but unlikely to go through with it. He seems to refer to the EU instead of Ireland in his comments when talking about returns. I think this refers to the EU saying a while back that returns policy needs to be with the EU not individual countries, though May have misunderstood. Regardless of any of this, Ireland and the migrants only have to hold out until the GE as they know Labour will scrap the whole thing and go back to the start."

This is the EU for you. When it suits them, every member country is under their jurisdiction and we must deal through the EU.(like the NI border). When that's inconvenient, bi-lateral agreements between countries are permitted. It's a can of worms.

By *yth11Couple 7 days ago

newark

That's not correct. That's Rishi's view on it. There is already an agreement in place to send asylum seekers back I'd they end up in each others country within the common travel area. As usual the brutish press have it wrong. Rishi can't be renaging on another agreement. Seems to be a habit of Tory governments"

The Irish courts found that the agreement was against EU rules but the Irish government is trying to change the law which may or may not be legal.

By *oolyCoolyCplCouple 7 days ago

Newcastle under Lyme

None of this bull shit affects any of us. Prices will go up even without this.

By *ohnnyTwoNotesMan 7 days ago

golden fields

"None of this bull shit affects any of us. Prices will go up even without this."

Prices going up don't effect us?

By *eroy1000Man 7 days ago

milton keynes

That's not correct. That's Rishi's view on it. There is already an agreement in place to send asylum seekers back I'd they end up in each others country within the common travel area. As usual the brutish press have it wrong. Rishi can't be renaging on another agreement. Seems to be a habit of Tory governments

The Irish courts found that the agreement was against EU rules but the Irish government is trying to change the law which may or may not be legal."

Irish law can be whatever their parliament want it to be and seems this is very similar to what the UK done but obviously without the level of criticism. Not sure where they stand if it breaks European law though and maybe like what happened in the UK, there will be European judges stopping deportation. Also what happens if the migrants refuse to go, will it be done by force

» Add a new message to this topic