FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > Politics > Cost of people being overweight in UK now £98bn, study finds Part 2

Cost of people being overweight in UK now £98bn, study finds Part 2

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *herrybomb77 OP   Woman 4 weeks ago

Belgium and Luxembourg

Some of the responses were exhibited by folks who.never experienced poverty, abuse, eating disorders such as ARFID or binge eating.

It's easy to make judgement calls on the overweight and obese but until there is a multidisciplinary approach to this problem then the skinny gym bunnies can show a little more mercy, understanding and love.

Obesity isn't born out of nowhere, especially morbid obesity. There are emotional, psychological, sexual,psychological and political causes of it.

If the skinny gym bunnies looked beyond their Lululemon loves and did some teaserch,they *may* not sound so ill-informed.

(Popcorn shield up)

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *astandFeistyCouple 4 weeks ago

Bournemouth

Calling someone skinny is no better than calling someone fat

By *otMe66Man 4 weeks ago

Terra Firma

For people who are honest with themselves and are trying to make a positive change, that are not suffering a medical issue that causes weight gain will know, poor dietary education and a fondness for quick and easy food, is an issue that quickly becomes a health problem.

The unhealthier a person becomes through diet the unhealthier a person becomes in mind and body.

It is tough, like everything that becomes a habit! Strong will and a determination to recognise the effects a lifestyle has on the mind and body are tools to help people overcome their habits. The problem is it cannot be provided, fed, or taught, it needs to be believed in and owned by the individual.

The food consumed is fuel of the body, providing energy and life, mess that up and the energy drops, the will to do declines and so the slope begins to steepen.

By *adCherriesCouple 4 weeks ago

Cheshire/Northwest

You lose all credibility by skinny shaming. Not all skinny people are gym bunnies and have eating disorders/ poverty/ mental health problems/ abuse as you mention, so not sure what your point is.

Mrs

By *ravelmanxxxMan 4 weeks ago

Durham

Media is to blame, let’s be honest how many times even on here have people said I’m curvy??

When really they are obese. But I could solve the obese burden on the NHS. Just put really narrow door on all the hospitals, that will stop the fat buggers getting in!

By *wistntwirlCouple 4 weeks ago

Middle Land

What would a multidisciplinary approach look like?

- freedom to choose healthy food?

- opportunities to exercise?

- education about nutrition?

- awareness of healthy eating?

- free apps to track calorie intake?

- clear information on food labels?

If we ever get access to all these things we can be hopeful people will take full advantage of them and the obesity issue will shrink...

By *I TwoCouple 4 weeks ago

all around

"What would a multidisciplinary approach look like?

If we ever get access to all these things we can be hopeful people will take full advantage of them and the obesity issue will shrink..."

Just curious, which of those isn't freely available ?

By *hetalkingstoveMan 4 weeks ago

London

Jobs that don't pay terribly and leave people too exhausted to exercise or care about eating healthily would help also

(No, I'm not saying this is the cause of obesity, just part of the picture)

Middle Land

If we ever get access to all these things we can be hopeful people will take full advantage of them and the obesity issue will shrink...

Just curious, which of those isn't freely available ?"

Seems I forgot to use the [sarcasm] quotes

By *0shadesOfFilthMan 4 weeks ago

nearby

"Jobs that don't pay terribly and leave people too exhausted to exercise or care about eating healthily would help also

(No, I'm not saying this is the cause of obesity, just part of the picture)"

The army does not pay that well, and generally free of salad dodgers

Belgium and Luxembourg

"Calling someone skinny is no better than calling someone fat "

Skinny, slim, size small, size zero.. no one those people are discriminated against on an hourly basis. Spare me the selective outrage, thanks.

Quoting Chris Rock here.

Belgium and Luxembourg

"Jobs that don't pay terribly and leave people too exhausted to exercise or care about eating healthily would help also

(No, I'm not saying this is the cause of obesity, just part of the picture)

I rest my case. Obesity called 'salad dodgers'. What a shower.

The army does not pay that well, and generally free of salad dodgers "

Belgium and Luxembourg

Seems I forgot to use the [sarcasm] quotes "

None of the above work.

Obesity is one of those illnesses with no straightforward solution because there different types/causes of obesity.. most of it rooted in early childhood trauma and the scarcity of affordable healthy food, spaces where obese/disabled people can exercise without feeling like social pariah and an industry that had nothing to do with "curing" obesity (as if!) when they can make trillions off our misery.

Reducing obesity

Belgium and Luxembourg

"For people who are honest with themselves and are trying to make a positive change, that are not suffering a medical issue that causes weight gain will know, poor dietary education and a fondness for quick and easy food, is an issue that quickly becomes a health problem.

The unhealthier a person becomes through diet the unhealthier a person becomes in mind and body.

It is tough, like everything that becomes a habit! Strong will and a determination to recognise the effects a lifestyle has on the mind and body are tools to help people overcome their habits. The problem is it cannot be provided, fed, or taught, it needs to be believed in and owned by the individual.

The food consumed is fuel of the body, providing energy and life, mess that up and the energy drops, the will to do declines and so the slope begins to steepen. "

You think fat/overweight/obese choose this? There are countless reasons for this.

Do your homework before parroting Weight Watchers ads

Belgium and Luxembourg

"For people who are honest with themselves and are trying to make a positive change, that are not suffering a medical issue that causes weight gain will know, poor dietary education and a fondness for quick and easy food, is an issue that quickly becomes a health problem.

The food consumed is fuel of the body, providing energy and life, mess that up and the energy drops, the will to do declines and so the slope begins to steepen. "

Just some medical clarification on this. Hope it helps.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1939725/

It's much worse for women.

Middle Land

None of the above work.

Obesity is one of those illnesses with no straightforward solution because there different types/causes of obesity.. most of it rooted in early childhood trauma and the scarcity of affordable healthy food, spaces where obese/disabled people can exercise without feeling like social pariah and an industry that had nothing to do with "curing" obesity (as if!) when they can make trillions off our misery.

Reducing obesity"

It's not an illness. They're victims of choice, nothing else.

There's plenty of space for all to exercise. It includes the great outdoors.

There's never been a scarcity of healthy affordable food.

Childhood trauma has fuck all to do with it.

I'm generalising but I'm bored of hearing this bollocks.

By *ressthefleshCouple 4 weeks ago

dublin

None of the above work.

Reducing obesity

I'm generalising but I'm bored of hearing this bollocks."

Oh the ignorant have spoken

Middle Land

Who's the ignorant one: the one who actively does something about their weight, or the one who does nothing?

Belgium and Luxembourg

"Who's the ignorant one: the one who actively does something about their weight, or the one who does nothing?"

There is a terabillion industry that includes gastric balloon, sleeve and bypass surgery. It is one of the fastest growing industries in this decade. British and Irish fling across themselves from Belgium to Turkey to get a gastric bypass.

But there's no follow up. Everything is advertised as a one-stop solution and meanwhile, 6-12 months of losing insane amounts of weight, skin sagging and creating rashes, there's no ROOT CAUSE to address obesity.

There are many root causes... but the toothpicks in Prada would prefer to vilify the sick.

It's almost.... Biblical

By *astandFeistyCouple 3 weeks ago

Bournemouth

"Calling someone skinny is no better than calling someone fat

Skinny, slim, size small, size zero.. no one those people are discriminated against on an hourly basis. Spare me the selective outrage, thanks.

Quoting Chris Rock here."

You have me mistaken for someone who gives a fuck. You shaming others is nothing but you projecting.

What I said wasn't wrong, and the fact that you used it in your OP is just 'woe me' bullshit.

By *oubleswing2019Man 3 weeks ago

Colchester

"

Sadly much like your proclaimed, judgemental and most importantly, ill-informed stance above. Highly offensive.

Over 400 genes are now implicated in affecting obesity, with a handful of them being major players in obesity. Deeper research has shown that genes impact the causes of obesity in multiple ways.

Genes affect our metabolic rate, affect our sense of feeling full and the signalling thereof, our appetite, our cravings, body-fat distribution, and some folks disposition to stress eat.

Bottom line, it's multifactorial with genetic components that people have no control over.

It currently estimated with the best knowledge at this moment in time, that genetic impact on obesity from genes ranges from 25% - 80%.

If you want to educate yourself, look in to monogenic, syndromic, and polygenic genes that impact obesity. I'm no expert, but I am aware of the research which is freely available and ongoing.

It really is long overdue that we stop shaming people for factors which are genetically out of their control, and where the issue might be manageable, their genetic programming works against them.

Some are completely fcked and fighting a losing battle and there's no help for them at this moment in time. Perhaps advances in CRISPR-editing *might* offer a solution, but that's way off for now.

A little compassion and understanding goes a long way.

By *melie LALWoman 3 weeks ago

Peterborough

If we ever get access to all these things we can be hopeful people will take full advantage of them and the obesity issue will shrink..."

Access to affordable healthy food.

The traffic light system on most food products are informative.

Peterborough

"Calling someone skinny is no better than calling someone fat

Quoting Chris Rock here."

The stigma people with obesity face, is very real.

Peterborough

None of the above work.

Reducing obesity

You are incredibly wrong!

Peterborough

"

Sadly much like your proclaimed, judgemental and most importantly, ill-informed stance above. Highly offensive.

Over 400 genes are now implicated in affecting obesity, with a handful of them being major players in obesity. Deeper research has shown that genes impact the causes of obesity in multiple ways.

Genes affect our metabolic rate, affect our sense of feeling full and the signalling thereof, our appetite, our cravings, body-fat distribution, and some folks disposition to stress eat.

Bottom line, it's multifactorial with genetic components that people have no control over.

It currently estimated with the best knowledge at this moment in time, that genetic impact on obesity from genes ranges from 25% - 80%.

If you want to educate yourself, look in to monogenic, syndromic, and polygenic genes that impact obesity. I'm no expert, but I am aware of the research which is freely available and ongoing.

It really is long overdue that we stop shaming people for factors which are genetically out of their control, and where the issue might be manageable, their genetic programming works against them.

Some are completely fcked and fighting a losing battle and there's no help for them at this moment in time. Perhaps advances in CRISPR-editing *might* offer a solution, but that's way off for now.

"

Peterborough

The food consumed is fuel of the body, providing energy and life, mess that up and the energy drops, the will to do declines and so the slope begins to steepen.

Just some medical clarification on this. Hope it helps.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1939725/

It's much worse for women.

"

A poor choice of study to be fair. Over 20 years ago and researching obesity's effects on the immune system.

By *wistntwirlCouple 3 weeks ago

Middle Land

"

"

Ah yeah it's the genetic big bones

The shaming stopped long ago. Fat is now actively celebrated, not least on this site hence the skinny goading by the OP.

Middle Land

The traffic light system on most food products are informative."

More bollocks. There's always been access to affordable healthy food. Plenty of recipes available for them too if only people can be bothered.

Peterborough

More bollocks. There's always been access to affordable healthy food. Plenty of recipes available for them too if only people can be bothered."

Go educate yourself!

By *idnight RamblerMan 3 weeks ago

Pershore

More bollocks. There's always been access to affordable healthy food. Plenty of recipes available for them too if only people can be bothered."

Indeed. In the end, it comes down to taking personal responsibility for health and wellbeing doesn't it? The facts are all out there, just a few clicks away. We are the same genetic stock as Denmark, Germany, France who have nowhere near the same levels of obesity, yet pretty much the same stuff on supermarket shelves.

Middle Land

"Go educate yourself!"

I am thanks. Eating a healthy balanced diet as much as possible. Exercising regularly. Learning all the time.

You?

By *herrybomb77 OP   Woman 3 weeks ago

Belgium and Luxembourg

Cost of transport

Cost of putting kids in daycare

Owning a car (if you're one of the lucky ones)

No home economics classes or even a proper lunch canteen serving up healthy choices in school

Poor transport like for those too poor to live near major transport hubs.

And yet... yet.... four post-WW2 generations of children being force fed by well-meaning parents to finish their plates because "waste not, want not".

Sugar tax.

Fat-shaming.

No gyms designed for those vaulting over the shame of starting out,not even a disabled toilet or locker room.

Not all food is labeled. Have you ever had to feed a cassoulet to a family of six? Speaking of ignorance, have you checked the price of fresh fruit, vegetables and good quality meat?

To say nothing of the thankless task of preparing a healthy continental meal when Irish/British Granny hides the Cadbury chocolates next door and is your kid's junk food dealer but never resists fat-shaming you.

I'm one of the few who can cook...REALLY cook, the traditional way but it takes TIME, MONEY AND WILLINGNESS. When your two anglais/irish in the house want fish and chips and US/UK junk and there's no help, no support from schools, family,nada you're fighting a losing battle.

But yes. There are healthy choices. I eat more fruits and vegetables from old recipes passed down from my ancestors. I've had more humiliating and downright eye-rolling sessions with well-meaning size 2 dietitians who say things like "try margarine" or "drink more water".

But when have a personal history of being beaten up by parents for "wasting food", then punished for "not cleaning the kitchen properly " and THEN called Fatso by them, by extended family members, schoolyard bullies and judgemental CARDIAC surgeons who couldn't be bothered to SEE the genetic/,psychological factors that led you down that 40 year path to where you are now...

Step in our shoes for a week. See how you survive, Miss Prada.

Belgium and Luxembourg

More bollocks. There's always been access to affordable healthy food. Plenty of recipes available for them too if only people can be bothered.

Indeed. In the end, it comes down to taking personal responsibility for health and wellbeing doesn't it? The facts are all out there, just a few clicks away. We are the same genetic stock as Denmark, Germany, France who have nowhere near the same levels of obesity, yet pretty much the same stuff on supermarket shelves."

Uhhhh.... there are obese people in France, Denmark.and you'd better believe in Germany.

Ever been to an Aldi in the Moselle region? You'd be shocked.

Belgium and Luxembourg

"

Ah yeah it's the genetic big bones

The shaming stopped long ago. Fat is now actively celebrated, not least on this site hence the skinny goading by the OP."

I'm not the OP. Some muscle head who called himself 50shadesof Filth was quoting a Guardian article in a previous thread that got flooded out with responses.

Goes to show you that this issue isn't going away soon.

By *otMe66Man 3 weeks ago

Terra Firma

You think fat/overweight/obese choose this? There are countless reasons for this.

Do your homework before parroting Weight Watchers ads"

I had no expectation of you agreeing or accepting my post.

Much like most things that are hard we seem to have become accustomed to allowing excuses to dismiss truth.

I'm not talking about medical issues that cause weight gain, I'm talking about people who are obese through a lack of self control and self awareness, there thousands upon thousands like this, no different to smokers who can't stop smoking.

By *idnight RamblerMan 3 weeks ago

Pershore

Indeed. In the end, it comes down to taking personal responsibility for health and wellbeing doesn't it? The facts are all out there, just a few clicks away. We are the same genetic stock as Denmark, Germany, France who have nowhere near the same levels of obesity, yet pretty much the same stuff on supermarket shelves.

Uhhhh.... there are obese people in France, Denmark.and you'd better believe in Germany.

Ever been to an Aldi in the Moselle region? You'd be shocked.

"

Yes of course there are obese people everywhere, but trust me the incidence is far higher in the UK and USA. Look, I'm not fat shaming individuals, but have a genuine concern for public health. Walking the High Street on a Saturday is depressing to see the extent of the problem - most particularly in young women. imo there is a public health problem right there in front of our eyes and we need to understand the causes and find solutions.

Peterborough

"Go educate yourself!

I am thanks. Eating a healthy balanced diet as much as possible. Exercising regularly. Learning all the time.

You?"

A dissertation on obesity that brought up my scores to earn me a first class BSc honours degree.

Belgium and Luxembourg

Much like most things that are hard we seem to have become accustomed to allowing excuses to dismiss truth.

I'm not talking about medical issues that cause weight gain, I'm talking about people who are obese through a lack of self control and self awareness, there thousands upon thousands like this, no different to smokers who can't stop smoking.

"

Are you an endocrinologist? A gastric bypass surgeon? A psychiatrist?

No?

Then spare us your tuppence politics.

Belgium and Luxembourg

No?

Then spare us your tuppence politics."

Also.... you can quit smoking. You can quit drinking.

You can't quit eating. It's NOT the same, Poindexter.

Peterborough

"

It's very different to smokers. You can get help to totally give up smoking. You cannot give up food.

Terra Firma

No?

Then spare us your tuppence politics."

I can tell you what I'm not, a person who does not take responsibility for my actions, or a person who makes excuses to explain why I can't achieve what I set out to do.

I'm not sure why you started this thread, you have only your own view and any other that has another view you shout down. You could try understanding other views, it could help you.

Terra Firma

It's very different to smokers. You can get help to totally give up smoking. You cannot give up food. "

Yuo can get help as you can for over eating, but a person needs to want to succeed and not expect the treatment to do all the work or it will have a high fail expectancy.

I'm sure most people will know someone who dieted lost some weight then put even more weight back on, and a smoker who stopped for 4 weeks.

Terra Firma

No?

You can't quit eating. It's NOT the same, Poindexter. "

I'm afraid you are simply making excuses. of course we need to eat! Eating food isn't the problem, the person who can't regulate, is the problem.

Belgium and Luxembourg

No?

You can't quit eating. It's NOT the same, Poindexter.

I'm afraid you are simply making excuses. of course we need to eat! Eating food isn't the problem, the person who can't regulate, is the problem.

"

And why they "can't regulate" is the trillion dollar question.

There are many reasons we can't. That's why it's a problem that bariatric surgeons, endocrinologists,psychiatrists,dietitians,physiotherapists, and yes even those miminy-piminy childless dietitians can't fathom

It's like discovering there's a kraken in a deep trench and you've idea how it got there.

You think fat people "choose" to be fat?

Belgium and Luxembourg

Here's a thought experiment.

Remember COVID?

Imagine if the combined efforts of THE CDC, WHO and other multinational corporation came up with a plan to make everyone "thin".

What's the saying?...

"If everybody looked the same, we'd be all tired of each other."

Mercy, non-judgment, help. That's the real answer

By *ophieslutTV/TS 3 weeks ago

Central

We need to change from letting the food and supermarkets be self-regulated. There are some things that are potentially requiring greater input from the state. The water industry is a clear example of what's gone wrong with minimal, light touch approaches.

Complex issues need effective processes that are evidence led and powerful.

Middle Land

"Go educate yourself!

You?

A dissertation on obesity that brought up my scores to earn me a first class BSc honours degree. "

That's even funnier.

Belgium and Luxembourg

"Go educate yourself!

You?

A dissertation on obesity that brought up my scores to earn me a first class BSc honours degree. "

We need more of you on this forum and less of the iPhone baboons posting from their gym lockers.

Merci, madame. And keep looking into it. The war isn't over.

Belgium and Luxembourg

"Go educate yourself!

You?

A dissertation on obesity that brought up my scores to earn me a first class BSc honours degree.

That's even funnier."

Yeah. Obesity is a joke. So funny your friends, family, colleagues, parents, children (if they're unlucky to have you as parents) are fair game to this aeons-old joke.

^eyeroll^

Middle Land

"Cost of transport

Cost of putting kids in daycare

Owning a car (if you're one of the lucky ones)"

If you don't own a car walking is free. Cycles are cheap too.

"

No home economics classes or even a proper lunch canteen serving up healthy choices in school"

Not true.

"four post-WW2 generations of children being force fed by well-meaning parents to finish their plates because "waste not, want not".

"

Funnily enough I was brought up with that too. I learned to put less on my plate: no waste.

"

Sugar tax.

Fat-shaming."

Uh?

"No gyms designed for those vaulting over the shame of starting out,not even a disabled toilet or locker room."

So go to a different gym.

"

Not all food is labeled."

Use an app. They're free and informative.

"

Have you ever had to feed a cassoulet to a family of six? Speaking of ignorance, have you checked the price of fresh fruit, vegetables and good quality meat?"

I've fed a lot more than that. I'm familiar with how to shop around and price compare. I also grow food.

"

I'm one of the few who can cook...REALLY cook, the traditional way but it takes TIME, MONEY AND WILLINGNESS."

Dunno what that means but I wouldn't advocate for a traditional British diet.

"

Step in our shoes for a week. See how you survive."

No thanks. I prefer to take responsibility for my own choices.

Peterborough

"Go educate yourself!

You?

We need more of you on this forum and less of the iPhone baboons posting from their gym lockers.

"

I have often posted facts that I found from research but sadly the same people refute it over and over again trying to simplify it to calories in Vs calories out. As this does work for some people who overeat, they think it will work for all. It doesn't!

Fatties (with acceptable triglycerides range) will have the last laugh though as more and more slim people succumb to lifestyle diseases. Those who eat anything and everything, thinking a high metabolism is saving them. No it won't, as Cherry has already mentioned fat distribution, I'll elaborate by stating fat type distribution: adipose, visceral and triglycerides.

Bottom line people, keep an eye on your triglycerides level.

Belgium and Luxembourg

"Go educate yourself!

You?

I have often posted facts that I found from research but sadly the same people refute it over and over again trying to simplify it to calories in Vs calories out. As this does work for some people who overeat, they think it will work for all. It doesn't!

Fatties (with acceptable triglycerides range) will have the last laugh though as more and more slim people succumb to lifestyle diseases. Those who eat anything and everything, thinking a high metabolism is saving them. No it won't, as Cherry has already mentioned fat distribution, I'll elaborate by stating fat type distribution: adipose, visceral and triglycerides.

Bottom line people, keep an eye on your triglycerides level."

This

Among other things

But you'll have a difficult time convincing the fatphobes. Their ideologies are too entrenched.

More power to you though.

And speaking of fatphobes, sizeists and other ignorant yobbos out there, I've had TWO gastric surgeries in the space of 5 years.

IT DOESN'T WORK.

Obesity is a complex illness... more like cancer than a simple addiction to food.

Would you care to see what kind of diet I follow? I eat more greens and fruits, I can't stand pork, I don't like fried foods and I make a damned good caldo gallego.

But my obesity was gradual. I started off being a slightly chubby child (with an undiagnosed lactose intolerance) to a "plus size" (ie not Kate Moss) in my teens to.... a problem.

Then my fatness became fetishised... which is horrible. I feel sorry for slim women who are fattened up by sick guys.

So yeah. Obesity is a complex illness. Part addiction, part PTSD, part genetics (goggle lymphocytes) and the last socially acceptable epithet to hurl at women.

By *oubleswing2019Man 3 weeks ago

Colchester

As ever on any thread just about everywhere, there are posters who are providing science-based fact on a complex issue, and those who are throwing ignorant, harmful and non-scientific nonsense in their way.

It's not too difficult to spot those who are well-educated and researched in this field.

And it's not too difficult to spot those who aren't.

Middle Land

"As ever on any thread just about everywhere, there are posters who are providing science-based fact on a complex issue, and those who are throwing ignorant, harmful and non-scientific nonsense in their way.

It's not too difficult to spot those who are well-educated and researched in this field.

And it's not too difficult to spot those who aren't. "

True. The well educated are so much smaller and harder to see.

By *I TwoCouple 3 weeks ago

all around

"Go educate yourself!

You?

This

Among other things

But you'll have a difficult time convincing the fatphobes. Their ideologies are too entrenched.

And speaking of fatphobes, sizeists and other ignorant yobbos out there, I've had TWO gastric surgeries in the space of 5 years.

IT DOESN'T WORK.

Obesity is a complex illness... more like cancer than a simple addiction to food.

Would you care to see what kind of diet I follow? I eat more greens and fruits, I can't stand pork, I don't like fried foods and I make a damned good caldo gallego.

But my obesity was gradual. I started off being a slightly chubby child (with an undiagnosed lactose intolerance) to a "plus size" (ie not Kate Moss) in my teens to.... a problem.

Then my fatness became fetishised... which is horrible. I feel sorry for slim women who are fattened up by sick guys.

So yeah. Obesity is a complex illness. Part addiction, part PTSD, part genetics (goggle lymphocytes) and the last socially acceptable epithet to hurl at women."

So are you saying that obesity is unavoidable and untreatable ?

I really don't understand what you're trying to get across ?

Peterborough

"As ever on any thread just about everywhere, there are posters who are providing science-based fact on a complex issue, and those who are throwing ignorant, harmful and non-scientific nonsense in their way.

True. The well educated are so much smaller and harder to see. "

Me being a fat fucker flies in the face of that

By *itygamesMan 3 weeks ago

UK

98 billion lol , who makes these figures up

Belgium and Luxembourg

"Go educate yourself!

You?

This

Among other things

IT DOESN'T WORK.

So yeah. Obesity is a complex illness. Part addiction, part PTSD, part genetics (goggle lymphocytes) and the last socially acceptable epithet to hurl at women.

So are you saying that obesity is unavoidable and untreatable ?

I really don't understand what you're trying to get across ?

"

No. I'm just saying that trite Biblical aphorisms and ingrained prejudices about the obese as being lazy, useless, ugly and weak are not only unhelpful but contribute to the megantic ignorance about the issue.

If I could have one superpower, it'd be one where every single miminy-piminy fat-hating trolls woke up with a beer belly or thick thighs that they couldn't shake off for a decade.

See how THEY deal with the stigma instead of hurling ignorant abuse and discrimination at the overweight/obese.

Belgium and Luxembourg

Me being a fat fucker flies in the face of that "

You beat me to it, girlfriend.

I guess blistandbleurgh are such a perfect couple that they feel at liberty to hurl ignorant abuse because they have no clue about the pathology of certain illnesses. They're more likely to hurl cans or take up disabled parking spots...

Or worse...

all around

I guess blistandbleurgh are such a perfect couple that they feel at liberty to hurl ignorant abuse because they have no clue about the pathology of certain illnesses. They're more likely to hurl cans or take up disabled parking spots...

Or worse...

"

What percentage of obesity results from a medical condition than simply a case of too many calories in vs calories burned ? This isn't an insult but a genuine question.

I know quite a few people who say they can't exercise enough that have overeaten and put on massive weight.

I know people who travel a lot for work and eat almost exclusively in hotels and restaurants and put on massive weight.

I honestly don't know anyone that's been diagnosed with a medical condition that makes them put on massive weight other than one person who was out on steroids and temporarily gained considerable weight but managed it by diet.

Middle Land

Me being a fat fucker flies in the face of that "

Perhaps. Or there's a difference in those who read about it, and those who do something about it.

Peterborough

Perhaps. Or there's a difference in those who read about it, and those who do something about it."

And some of us know the academic AND experiential side of things.

Peterborough

Or worse...

What percentage of obesity results from a medical condition than simply a case of too many calories in vs calories burned ? This isn't an insult but a genuine question.

I know quite a few people who say they can't exercise enough that have overeaten and put on massive weight.

I know people who travel a lot for work and eat almost exclusively in hotels and restaurants and put on massive weight.

I honestly don't know anyone that's been diagnosed with a medical condition that makes them put on massive weight other than one person who was out on steroids and temporarily gained considerable weight but managed it by diet."

Endocrine disorders.

all around

Or worse...

I honestly don't know anyone that's been diagnosed with a medical condition that makes them put on massive weight other than one person who was out on steroids and temporarily gained considerable weight but managed it by diet.

Endocrine disorders."

Yes, but how many of the overweight suffer ?

By *irkby coupleCouple 3 weeks ago

Kirkby

I’ve lost 5st since Aug 23.

I didn’t think losing weight would be so easy!

Being fat is directly linked to what and how much you eat (for most people).

I’ve been regularly going the gym and cycling for years with little or no effect. I sat down and made myself a diet that is easy to stick to and hey presto!

Another 2-3st and I’ll stop and re-evaluate how much I want to loose.

Middle Land

"I’ve lost 5st since Aug 23.

I’ve been regularly going the gym and cycling for years with little or no effect. I sat down and made myself a diet that is easy to stick to and hey presto!

Another 2-3st and I’ll stop and re-evaluate how much I want to loose."

What's amazed me is the places weight has gone from. Like I never thought I had fat forearms etc.

all around

Another 2-3st and I’ll stop and re-evaluate how much I want to loose."

5 years ago I stopped eating fruit scones at 10 when I went for a tea break and lost 2 stone in a few months then stopped buying chocolate bars and lost another stone. I'm still technically overweight but I love my food and I'm happy at 14st 5'11" and no other health issues.

I do stand in the scales regularly especially after a couple of weeks eating out in Playa del ingles although we do get plenty of exercise out there

I have a few friends that do "fad" diets and lose piles of weight in a few months but then put it all back in and probably more once they stop.

It's a change of lifestyle forever to lose weight and keep it off, probably just as hard as quitting cigarettes.

Peterborough

Or worse...

Endocrine disorders.

Yes, but how many of the overweight suffer ?"

Suffering is subjective, you'll have to elaborate. I won't know the answer though .

Middle Land

For those claiming to be educated and enlightened: Do you know what your necessary calorie deficit would need to be in order to sustainably lose weight?

all around

Or worse...

Endocrine disorders.

Suffering is subjective, you'll have to elaborate. I won't know the answer though ."

Hmm,I thought you would understand the context of suffer lol

What percentage of overweight people have been diagnosed with endocrine disorders ?

Peterborough

"For those claiming to be educated and enlightened: Do you know what your necessary calorie deficit would need to be in order to sustainably lose weight?

"

Scroll up

Peterborough

Or worse...

Endocrine disorders.

Suffering is subjective, you'll have to elaborate. I won't know the answer though .

What percentage of overweight people have been diagnosed with endocrine disorders ?

"

Not my fault you weren't clear. Not everyone who has a long term condition suffers (in your elaborated context), especially if the condition is managed well. However, they could suffer with stigma. They could suffer from people who have easily lost weight telling them it's easy to lose weight, and yet their circumstances are different.

Middle Land

"For those claiming to be educated and enlightened: Do you know what your necessary calorie deficit would need to be in order to sustainably lose weight?

Scroll up"

That a no then?

all around

Or worse...

Endocrine disorders.

Not my fault you weren't clear. Not everyone who has a long term condition suffers (in your elaborated context), especially if the condition is managed well. However, they could suffer with stigma. They could suffer from people who have easily lost weight telling them it's easy to lose weight, and yet their circumstances are different.

"

So it's only a ( very genuine) reason to not lose weight for a small percentage of people then ?

I wonder what the percentage is for people that simply overeat ?

Peterborough

Scroll up

That a no then?"

My point has already been expressed.

And for me personally, it's keeping protein high and carbs low. But I would not be arrogant to tell everyone this is the winning formula. Or rather everyone with PCOS and insulin sensitivity.

Another formula is to get very very ill and lose 10kg in 3 weeks but not sustainable .

Peterborough

Or worse...

Endocrine disorders.

So it's only a ( very genuine) reason to not lose weight for a small percentage of people then ?

I wonder what the percentage is for people that simply overeat ?"

It's not impossible to lose weight with an endocrine disorder, just extremely difficult/slow and disheartening.

By *hh0789Man 3 weeks ago

suffolk

I used to be huge, I'm certainly not small now but for me it wasn't what I ate just how much.

I tried diets cutting sugar etc but it never worked I'd lose a stone then get complacent again.

So if I want a mars bar I'll have one, the big difference is if I wanted a Mars bar 5 years ago it would've been a whole multi pack.

So I eat pretty much same stuff just a lot less of it

By *adCherriesCouple 3 weeks ago

Cheshire/Northwest

Oooh its so boring listening to fat people make excuses. Plenty of underweight people with mental health issues, poverty, chronic disease etc that struggle to be taken seriously and here are overweight people telling you it's a different experience... okay then

all around

"Oooh its so boring listening to fat people make excuses. Plenty of underweight people with mental health issues, poverty, chronic disease etc that struggle to be taken seriously and here are overweight people telling you it's a different experience... okay then "

The discussion isn't about slagging people off, it's about what makes people overweight and understanding why some can't seem to lose weight.

Rudeness isn't really constructive.

By *astandFeistyCouple 3 weeks ago

Bournemouth

"Oooh its so boring listening to fat people make excuses. Plenty of underweight people with mental health issues, poverty, chronic disease etc that struggle to be taken seriously and here are overweight people telling you it's a different experience... okay then

The discussion isn't about slagging people off, it's about what makes people overweight and understanding why some can't seem to lose weight.

Rudeness isn't really constructive."

The OP started this very thread with 'slagging people off' and has continued to do so.

Middle Land

Scroll up

That a no then?

And for me personally, it's keeping protein high and carbs low. But I would not be arrogant to tell everyone this is the winning formula. Or rather everyone with PCOS and insulin sensitivity.

Another formula is to get very very ill and lose 10kg in 3 weeks but not sustainable ."

Why would you need to keep carbs low? Or protein high?

Peterborough

"Oooh its so boring listening to fat people make excuses. Plenty of underweight people with mental health issues, poverty, chronic disease etc that struggle to be taken seriously and here are overweight people telling you it's a different experience... okay then "

Don't read then! Bloody simple really.

Peterborough

Scroll up

That a no then?

Another formula is to get very very ill and lose 10kg in 3 weeks but not sustainable .

Why would you need to keep carbs low? Or protein high?"

Can you not digest all the post?

Middle Land

Scroll up

That a no then?

Can you not digest all the post?"

Are you incapable of answering a question?

all around

"Oooh its so boring listening to fat people make excuses. Plenty of underweight people with mental health issues, poverty, chronic disease etc that struggle to be taken seriously and here are overweight people telling you it's a different experience... okay then

Rudeness isn't really constructive.

The OP started this very thread with 'slagging people off' and has continued to do so. "

Very true ...

By *adCherriesCouple 3 weeks ago

Cheshire/Northwest

Don't read then! Bloody simple really. "

Not really, it's not answering why people underweight have the same issues.

Peterborough

Don't read then! Bloody simple really.

Not really, it's not answering why people underweight have the same issues. "

It is easier to get a dietitian's referral for an underweight patient than one for a patient with obesity.

Peterborough

Scroll up

That a no then?

"

Insulin sensitivity. See it was there all along.

Middle Land

Scroll up

That a no then?

Insulin sensitivity. See it was there all along."

So that's for managing insulin levels. What about managing weight? Do you know your required deficit or not?

Peterborough

Scroll up

That a no then?

So that's for managing insulin levels. What about managing weight? Do you know your required deficit or not?"

No it's for losing weight.

Middle Land

Scroll up

That a no then?

So that's for managing insulin levels. What about managing weight? Do you know your required deficit or not?

No it's for losing weight."

Um okay...

By *irkby coupleCouple 3 weeks ago

Kirkby

What's amazed me is the places weight has gone from. Like I never thought I had fat forearms etc. "

Strangely mine has gone mainly from waist snd below. Belly shrinking sloooowly.

Middle Land

What's amazed me is the places weight has gone from. Like I never thought I had fat forearms etc.

Strangely mine has gone mainly from waist snd below. Belly shrinking sloooowly."

My belly was the last place to go. And no doubt the first place to grow.

Belgium and Luxembourg

Morbid obesity is a complex illness/disorder with many variables.

What works for some, might not on others.

It's going to take decades to decode the different types of obesity, the root causes, treatment, etc.

In the meantime, if the lucky skim folk can withhold judgement and show some mercy and acceptance instead of meanness then it would go a long way to help those who are lost in this morass of disability.

» Add a new message to this topic