FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > Politics > No prayers

No prayers

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *I Two OP   Couple 3 weeks ago

all around

Is it about time to ban religion in schools altogether ?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-68731366.amp

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *estivalMan 3 weeks ago

borehamwood

Just ban religion full stop, lets face it if you tried to start religion in this day and age the only followers would be nutters and those who jump on watever bandwagon is fashionable this week

all around

"Just ban religion full stop, lets face it if you tried to start religion in this day and age the only followers would be nutters and those who jump on watever bandwagon is fashionable this week"

The "Bill Gates haters association"

By *orses and PoniesMan 3 weeks ago

Ealing

"Is it about time to ban religion in schools altogether ?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-68731366.amp"

. We should be appreciating the comtribution of religion to society and the work undertaken by Christian churches. Christianity has provided many educational establishments for which we should all be greatfull.

By *irldnCouple 3 weeks ago

Brighton

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-68731366.amp. We should be appreciating the comtribution of religion to society and the work undertaken by Christian churches. Christianity has provided many educational establishments for which we should all be greatfull."

Torquemada says “hold my beer!”

By *exy_HornyCouple 3 weeks ago

Leigh

Religion was a useful tool to control the illiterate population in historical times.

It has no place in modern society, and certainly no place in education. It is unfortunate that our child had to attend a Christian primary and secondary school as they were the only schools with places available.

By *otMe66Man 3 weeks ago

Terra Firma

Is it religion or people that are the problem?

By *ravelmanxxxMan 3 weeks ago

Durham

Too bloody right, the school a non faith school and it was when this Muslim child enrolled. Always about stirring up trouble as usual.

By *urreyfun38Couple 3 weeks ago

croydon

Too bloody right, the school a non faith school and it was when this Muslim child enrolled. Always about stirring up trouble as usual. "

And to want to send your second child to the same school that you don't like.Whilst also telling the school she wants to take them to court over something else she doesn't like abut school.

School should be telling her they don't want her second child and let someone send their child there who wants to be there.

By *ermbiMan 3 weeks ago

Ballyshannon

"Just ban religion full stop, lets face it if you tried to start religion in this day and age the only followers would be nutters and those who jump on watever bandwagon is fashionable this week"

Let me guess. You call yourself a tolerant person too???

By *ermbiMan 3 weeks ago

Ballyshannon

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-68731366.amp. We should be appreciating the comtribution of religion to society and the work undertaken by Christian churches. Christianity has provided many educational establishments for which we should all be greatfull."

Religious institutions stepped in to provide education at one time when the government failed to do so. Christianity still doing this in many countries. Something to be applauded educating peoples where governments have failed to provide

By *eroy1000Man 3 weeks ago

milton keynes

I am pleased to see the school win this case. The more I read on it the more bizarre it seemed. For some reason they thought they could tell the school what rules it should or shouldn't have. I have no problem with religion unless it's promoting violence and it does give people great comfort especially in troubled times. I do have a problem with it being used to try and change others against their will.

By *estivalMan 3 weeks ago

borehamwood

"Just ban religion full stop, lets face it if you tried to start religion in this day and age the only followers would be nutters and those who jump on watever bandwagon is fashionable this week

Let me guess. You call yourself a tolerant person too???"

where have i said anything about being tolerant, i just pointed out if you tried to sell a story about an invisible freind who lives in the sky in this day and age you would get laughed at by most people, unfortunatley way back in time when most people were uneducated, the educated ones came up with a story to keep the masses in line

By *atEvolutionCouple 3 weeks ago

atlantisEVOLUTION Swingers Club. Stoke.

It's a Secular School. And that is really all there is to it. Their rules, their game. Take your football to a golf course and see if they let you play with it.

If Schools want to be a Faith Schools, then that is within their freedom to do. They are still monitored by Ofsted, but they can go that way if they wish.

By *ravelmanxxxMan 3 weeks ago

Durham

Shall we talk about the Elephant in the room here. This is about radicalisation for British/christian values and beliefs by Islam.

Brighton

I am pleased to see the school win this case. The more I read on it the more bizarre it seemed. For some reason they thought they could tell the school what rules it should or shouldn't have. I have no problem with religion unless it's promoting violence and it does give people great comfort especially in troubled times. I do have a problem with it being used to try and change others against their will."

Very well said

By *ostindreamsMan 3 weeks ago

London

How far do you want to go with banning religion? Is it just about prayers or also religious clothing? France for example, bans all religious clothing in schools.

all around

Should all immigrants to the UK be forced to leave their religion at the border and be banned from construction or adapting buildings for religious purposes ?

London

I am pleased to see the school win this case. The more I read on it the more bizarre it seemed. For some reason they thought they could tell the school what rules it should or shouldn't have. I have no problem with religion unless it's promoting violence and it does give people great comfort especially in troubled times. I do have a problem with it being used to try and change others against their will."

100% agree. I see the positives of religion, even though I am not a believer right now. It gives a sense of purpose and satisfaction to people. It is all good as long as one uses religion for their own development. The moment they try to force other people to do or not do things, it becomes problematic.

London

"Should all immigrants to the UK be forced to leave their religion at the border and be banned from construction or adapting buildings for religious purposes ?"

I think people should follow whatever religion they want to. But they shouldn't force other people to respect their religion.

Brighton

"Should all immigrants to the UK be forced to leave their religion at the border and be banned from construction or adapting buildings for religious purposes ?

I think people should follow whatever religion they want to. But they shouldn't force other people to respect their religion. "

Did you mean “respect” or “accept”?

I think we can respect the belief of others without having to agree with them. Just see that as good manners. As others have said, as long as they do not try to force their beliefs onto others. In other words THEY need to respect the belief of others as well.

London

"Should all immigrants to the UK be forced to leave their religion at the border and be banned from construction or adapting buildings for religious purposes ?

I think people should follow whatever religion they want to. But they shouldn't force other people to respect their religion.

I think we can respect the belief of others without having to agree with them. Just see that as good manners. As others have said, as long as they do not try to force their beliefs onto others. In other words THEY need to respect the belief of others as well."

I meant respect. We should be able to criticise and mock it..I don't see religion to be different from any other ideology. If we can disrespect communism, we should be able to disrespect religion too.

By *rDiscretionXXXMan 3 weeks ago

Gilfach

"I think people should follow whatever religion they want to. But they shouldn't force other people to respect their religion."

"Did you mean “respect” or “accept”?"

"I think we can respect the belief of others without having to agree with them. Just see that as good manners. As others have said, as long as they do not try to force their beliefs onto others. In other words THEY need to respect the belief of others as well."

"I meant respect. We should be able to criticise and mock it..I don't see religion to be different from any other ideology. If we can disrespect communism, we should be able to disrespect religion too."

You need to be careful with the word "respect". In it's legal sense it means 'to hold as inviolable'. This means that the human right of 'respect for religion' can put the state in the position of having to protect a person's right to perform their rituals, regardless of how this affects others.

Even in normal language, some take 'respect' to mean 'don't be rude', and others use it as meaning 'you must accommodate'. It's a complicated word.

By *00STERMan 3 weeks ago

nearby

Schools should teach about religions and beliefs but also how science and modern understanding has shown them to be mere stories. There should also be a complete change to remove the law that requires all schools to perform a daily act of worship even if they are not a faith sponsored school.

The uk is becoming a nation of atheists faster than any individual religion is growing and our education system should support this.

London

"I think people should follow whatever religion they want to. But they shouldn't force other people to respect their religion.

I think we can respect the belief of others without having to agree with them. Just see that as good manners. As others have said, as long as they do not try to force their beliefs onto others. In other words THEY need to respect the belief of others as well.

I meant respect. We should be able to criticise and mock it..I don't see religion to be different from any other ideology. If we can disrespect communism, we should be able to disrespect religion too.

You need to be careful with the word "respect". In it's legal sense it means 'to hold as inviolable'. This means that the human right of 'respect for religion' can put the state in the position of having to protect a person's right to perform their rituals, regardless of how this affects others.

Even in normal language, some take 'respect' to mean 'don't be rude', and others use it as meaning 'you must accommodate'. It's a complicated word."

Isn't that a difference between me having to respect a religion against me having to respect another person's right to follow a religion? The latter is fine with me. I also believe it is the duty of the state to protect a right of anyone to follow a religion. But the former, not so much. I should be able to criticise and make a mockery of religions and religious practices.

all around

"Schools should teach about religions and beliefs but also how science and modern understanding has shown them to be mere stories. There should also be a complete change to remove the law that requires all schools to perform a daily act of worship even if they are not a faith sponsored school.

The uk is becoming a nation of atheists faster than any individual religion is growing and our education system should support this."

Religion should be taught as history.

Much of the bible is known to be true due to correlation of events and timelines studied by Egyptologists.

It's mans interpretation that is the problem, sometimes taking the stories too literally

The basic laws of society are obviously based on the bible and that's how it should be taught.

By *irkby coupleCouple 3 weeks ago

Kirkby

Religion should have been banned in schools ages ago.

Why is it always Muslims complaining about schools? I can’t remember last time I seen in the news Jews, Hindus, Christian’s or any other religion threatening to kill teachers, bomb threats or taking legal action because they can’t get their own way.

Out of curiosity, if this kid and their mother won this case and got compensation, would they have to pay back some of the £150k legal aid?

By *rDiscretionXXXMan 3 weeks ago

Gilfach

"You need to be careful with the word "respect". In it's legal sense it means 'to hold as inviolable'. This means that the human right of 'respect for religion' can put the state in the position of having to protect a person's right to perform their rituals, regardless of how this affects others.

Even in normal language, some take 'respect' to mean 'don't be rude', and others use it as meaning 'you must accommodate'. It's a complicated word."

"Isn't that a difference between me having to respect a religion against me having to respect another person's right to follow a religion?"

It is. Two different concepts, both often described as 'respect for religion'.

"The latter is fine with me. I also believe it is the duty of the state to protect a right of anyone to follow a religion."

Careful again. When you say that the state has a duty to protect someone's religious right, does that mean that the state should prevent you from interrupting their practices, or does it mean that the state should force you to accommodate their practices?

"I should be able to criticise and make a mockery of religions and religious practices."

Agreed. No one and nothing should be above criticism.

London

"

Careful again. When you say that the state has a duty to protect someone's religious right, does that mean that the state should prevent you from interrupting their practices, or does it mean that the state should force you to accommodate their practices?

"

I meant the former. But now that I think about it, the right doesn't have to be specifically about religious practices.

By *ermbiMan 3 weeks ago

Ballyshannon

"I think people should follow whatever religion they want to. But they shouldn't force other people to respect their religion.

Even in normal language, some take 'respect' to mean 'don't be rude', and others use it as meaning 'you must accommodate'. It's a complicated word.

Isn't that a difference between me having to respect a religion against me having to respect another person's right to follow a religion? The latter is fine with me. I also believe it is the duty of the state to protect a right of anyone to follow a religion. But the former, not so much. I should be able to criticise and make a mockery of religions and religious practices. "

Some decide to make a mockery of those who hold faith and display their religion. I think this is wrong. Those who have no faith may be rarely mocked. Same standard should apply

By *ortyairCouple 3 weeks ago

Wallasey

Surely it's down to individual schools if religion should be on the curriculum.

Mrs x

By *leasure domMan 3 weeks ago

Edinburgh

[Removed by poster at 20/04/24 22:39:33]

By *leasure domMan 3 weeks ago

Edinburgh

Irrational BS which has no place in public life.

Keep it off the curriculum; politicians, leave your own personal religious beliefs at the door when making decisions which affect us.

By *ostindreamsMan 2 weeks ago

London

Isn't that a difference between me having to respect a religion against me having to respect another person's right to follow a religion? The latter is fine with me. I also believe it is the duty of the state to protect a right of anyone to follow a religion. But the former, not so much. I should be able to criticise and make a mockery of religions and religious practices.

Some decide to make a mockery of those who hold faith and display their religion. I think this is wrong. Those who have no faith may be rarely mocked. Same standard should apply"

I don't think it's wrong. If we can make a mockery of communists and capitalists, we should be able to make a mockery and of followers of religion too. Those who have no faith are repeatedly called sinners by many religious people. I don't believe religion should hold a special status in these things. But that's just my opinion.

By *ty31Man 2 weeks ago

NW London

No. Faith is very important to many people and core and intrinsic part of their lives.

The following of their faith does not impact or affect their education or those around them so why ban it and persecute certain pupils?

By *ty31Man 2 weeks ago

NW London

Some decide to make a mockery of those who hold faith and display their religion. I think this is wrong. Those who have no faith may be rarely mocked. Same standard should apply

I don't think it's wrong. If we can make a mockery of communists and capitalists, we should be able to make a mockery and of followers of religion too. Those who have no faith are repeatedly called sinners by many religious people. I don't believe religion should hold a special status in these things. But that's just my opinion."

So can we also make fun and mockery of sexuality, disability and gender identity?

_

Myself I'm a Christian and I accept constructive criticism and accept that comedy can encompass religion- there's plenty to satirise (see The Life of Brian). There's just a line between humour done with respect and disrespectful mockery.

By *ustaboutSaneMan 2 weeks ago

BelLiv

"Is it religion or people that are the problem?

"

By *itonthesideWoman 2 weeks ago

tenerife

No. Faith is very important to many people and core and intrinsic part of their lives.

The following of their faith does not impact or affect their education or those around them so why ban it and persecute certain pupils?

"

Im a living example of the opposite. Went to catholic school the first 5 years, then after my parents broke up i was moved closer to home. I was almost a year behind my peers. (Had just started 4 times table at the religious school and the non dom same year group were starting 11). It has to be because we spent time on RE every single afternoon after lunch.

When i got to high school we picked 8 subjects for exams. The catholic school up the road did 7. So there definitely has to be an educational impact

By *ostindreamsMan 2 weeks ago

London

I don't think it's wrong. If we can make a mockery of communists and capitalists, we should be able to make a mockery and of followers of religion too. Those who have no faith are repeatedly called sinners by many religious people. I don't believe religion should hold a special status in these things. But that's just my opinion.

So can we also make fun and mockery of sexuality, disability and gender identity?

_

Myself I'm a Christian and I accept constructive criticism and accept that comedy can encompass religion- there's plenty to satirise (see The Life of Brian). There's just a line between humour done with respect and disrespectful mockery."

People make jokes about men/women and gays all the time. Pretty sure Jimmy Carr has made plenty of jokes about disability too. Sure you can call some of these jokes distasteful and raise moral concerns about it. But I don't believe it should be made illegal. We shouldn't let governments have too much control over what we speak. Calls for violence and libel is where I draw the line.

By *ermbiMan 2 weeks ago

Ballyshannon

Im a living example of the opposite. Went to catholic school the first 5 years, then after my parents broke up i was moved closer to home. I was almost a year behind my peers. (Had just started 4 times table at the religious school and the non dom same year group were starting 11). It has to be because we spent time on RE every single afternoon after lunch.

When i got to high school we picked 8 subjects for exams. The catholic school up the road did 7. So there definitely has to be an educational impact "

That's just experience of one school. Not a widespread experience so your general comment has no evidence to back it up.

By *exy_HornyCouple 2 weeks ago

Leigh

When i got to high school we picked 8 subjects for exams. The catholic school up the road did 7. So there definitely has to be an educational impact

That's just experience of one school. Not a widespread experience so your general comment has no evidence to back it up. "

It happens widely.

Our daughter had to go to a C of E school because the other schools were full. Religious Studies was a compulsory GCSE at that school so she had less choice of GCSEs she wanted to do.

RS is completely useless and has no place in the curriculum or exams.

They also wasted time in the school week teaching Religion and Ethics.

By *itonthesideWoman 2 weeks ago

tenerife

That's just experience of one school. Not a widespread experience so your general comment has no evidence to back it up. "

I did say i am A (as in 1) example of the opposite . But my high school takes about 300 kids per year group. So my experience is pretty well repeated.

Also the curriculum is not specific to me or my school. If RE is mandatory at religious schools you can easily extrapolate that to less time for other subjects

By *ermbiMan 2 weeks ago

Ballyshannon

That's just experience of one school. Not a widespread experience so your general comment has no evidence to back it up.

I did say i am A (as in 1) example of the opposite . But my high school takes about 300 kids per year group. So my experience is pretty well repeated.

Also the curriculum is not specific to me or my school. If RE is mandatory at religious schools you can easily extrapolate that to less time for other subjects

"

Your experience is not repeated. Religious studies is a valid and recognised subject at gcse and a-level. Other subjects get their time on the timetable and are part of a qualification. Your point is lacking credence and isn't well made.

By *iseekingbiCouple 2 weeks ago

N ireland and West Midlands

Religion cant be banned.

Good for people who find comfort in faith.

Hitchcock said that his work was for adults who wanted to believe in fairy tales. Thats how we see religion.

French schools have been based upon secularism since the end of the 19th century. Thats how it should be everywhere. Allow religion to be taught but dont let the church anywhere near running schools.

By *utstandingMan 1 week ago

HX

It should never have gotten to the extent of taking a school to the courts. It's an embarrassing protest that served to be more divisive than inclusive. And this coming from me, a Muzzy, looking in. Prayers are flexible so quite why they had to push this so far is beyond me other than "because they didn't like the answer".

On the upside, the school has clearly raised students who stand up and organise themselves effectively. It's a testament to all.

The school didn't look to remove religious symbols to adhere to a strict policy of secularism. I wonder if it's something they'll pursue now.

By *exieTV/TS 1 week ago

GL50 - Cheltenham - Bristol

" Q: Is it religion or people that are the problem?

"

A: Neither, were in the first place religion been properly observed; does not the solution come before, or precede the problem?

» Add a new message to this topic