FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > Politics > Modern living, healthy or not?

Modern living, healthy or not?

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *usybee73 OP   Man 2 weeks ago

in the sticks

Having a chat in the local about modern medical and lifestyles, was it beneficial to us as humans?

So thought how can you compare modern living to before technology whilst seeing results. Googled the amish in America and will post what's on the site as don't know if the link is allowed?

Life expectancy refers to the number of years a person is expected to live. It varies with a person’s current age, sex, nationality, and where he lives. Of course, in real life, it is much more complicated than that.

Many have been taking an interest in the comparison between Americans and Amish when it comes to life expectancy and health span. They live in the same country and probably breathe the same air, so why is there a difference in the first place?

The average life span of Non-Amish people in America caught up through the years – from 47 years in 1900, 68 years in 1950, and 79 years in 2019. However, it fell to 77 in 2020 and 76 in 2021.

The Amish population, on the other hand, still has a better standing. The latest may also be over 70 years, but when the Americans were dying in their 40s during the early 20th century, the Amish people lived their best yet simple lives for over 70 years.

Why Do The Amish Live Longer?

As it turns out, only some things are solved with modern technology. Americans and other populations outside the Amish community have access to almost every health or medical benefits and modern medicine this current era offers. Yet, the Amish men still have a better average life expectancy. How do they do it?

The Amish Lifestyle

Farming is at the center of the work life of the Amish men. Since they don’t use technological devices such as agricultural machinery, they must do all the tillage, seeding, planting, cultivation, fertilization, harvesting, and more by hand. Manual labor is quite literal when it comes to them.

According to Time, the American College of Sports Medicine (ACSM) equipped Amish volunteers with pedometers in 2004. This experiment aimed to see how much physical activity they achieved every day.

The results were astonishing. The Amish men took more than 18,000 steps daily, and the Amish women made more than 14,000. Let’s compare it to non-Amish people who are encouraged by doctors to make at least 10,000 steps a day and fail.

As a result, only 4% of the Amish communities are obese compared with 36.5% of the general US population. According to CDC, obesity leads to heart disease, stroke, type 2 diabetes, and other forms of cancer.

While some of the Amish smoke cigars, most still choose to stay away from this habit. Since most people from Amish communities are non-smokers, they have a 63% lower rate of tobacco-related cancers, based on a 2004 study of the Amish population in Ohio.

The Amish people’s consistent physical activity and active lifestyle are the top reason behind their longer life spans.

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *wistntwirlCouple 2 weeks ago

Middle Land

I'd have pointed the finger at obesity rather than technology.

By *melie LALWoman 2 weeks ago

Peterborough

"I'd have pointed the finger at obesity rather than technology."

No as it wasn't obesity killing people early in the 1900s. I'd stab a guess at medication, hygiene and a decrease in economic deprivation. F D Roosevelt and all his new deals after the crash of 1933. If my memory serves me right.

By *irldnCouple 2 weeks ago

Brighton

It’s the beards and hat combo

Middle Land

"I'd have pointed the finger at obesity rather than technology.

No as it wasn't obesity killing people early in the 1900s. I'd stab a guess at medication, hygiene and a decrease in economic deprivation. F D Roosevelt and all his new deals after the crash of 1933. If my memory serves me right."

An impressive memory if you're that old.

What is it that explains the disparity a hundred years later? I don't believe it's technology.

By *AFKA HovisMan 2 weeks ago

Sindon Swingdon Swindon

This thread needs a link as it seems one may be confusing life expectancy of 40 as being most people die around 40.

Middle Land

Thought the gist of it was that people not fat and doing lots of exercise outlive people who are fat and not doing much walking?

By *uriousCouple 200Couple 2 weeks ago

leeds

They move more and eat less processed food id say is the basics of it

Peterborough

No as it wasn't obesity killing people early in the 1900s. I'd stab a guess at medication, hygiene and a decrease in economic deprivation. F D Roosevelt and all his new deals after the crash of 1933. If my memory serves me right.

What is it that explains the disparity a hundred years later? I don't believe it's technology."

There's less disparity now. Unless you're comparing Americans of modern day to Americans after the great depression and after WWII.

Peterborough

"This thread needs a link as it seems one may be confusing life expectancy of 40 as being most people die around 40. "

It is.

Middle Land

What is it that explains the disparity a hundred years later? I don't believe it's technology.

There's less disparity now. Unless you're comparing Americans of modern day to Americans after the great depression and after WWII."

I've read it and re-read it and still don't really get it.

If I'm understanding, the argument is that people in the general population have only recently had a similar life expectancy to the Amish.

The Amish continue to have similar life expectancy but reject modern medicines.

Possibly attributed to a more active lifestyle/better nutrition/low obesity.

Still not sure where technology fits unless that's reference to modern medicines etc.?

By *odgers and PartingCouple 2 weeks ago

edinburgh

I don’t think so, no. Had a similar convo earlier. Back in the 70/80s the rapid growth of disease wasn’t a thing it is now. Could be lack of detection but I doubt it.

Diet is clearly a contributing factor with the ultra processed and sugar filled crap that fills the shelves in supermarkets.

That wasn’t there decades ago, most you could get were crispy pancakes!

We’ve made a real conscious effort to try and get back to basics. Cooking, buying raw ingredients and cutting out shit. K

in the sticks

There's less disparity now. Unless you're comparing Americans of modern day to Americans after the great depression and after WWII.

If I'm understanding, the argument is that people in the general population have only recently had a similar life expectancy to the Amish.

Still not sure where technology fits unless that's reference to modern medicines etc.?"

Lack of technology is no cars, tractors, phones, laptops, jcb, chainsaws etc

As stated, love to give the link but understand fab are quite anal about links, any mods reading please advise

What I found interesting is the cancer stats and the lack or immunity of it. Never mind the mental health of the community

Middle Land

"

As stated, love to give the link but understand fab are quite anal about links, any mods reading please advise

What I found interesting is the cancer stats and the lack or immunity of it. Never mind the mental health of the community "

So their life expectancy remained the same?

And everyone else's got better?

Apart from a little lower in the past few years including the year of the pandemic.

So an unhealthy lifestyle with technology may lead to a similar life expectancy to a more physical lifestyle without technology?

This does seem a discussion best had in a bar

in the sticks

"

What I found interesting is the cancer stats and the lack or immunity of it. Never mind the mental health of the community

So their life expectancy remained the same?

And everyone else's got better?

Apart from a little lower in the past few years including the year of the pandemic.

So an unhealthy lifestyle with technology may lead to a similar life expectancy to a more physical lifestyle without technology?

This does seem a discussion best had in a bar "

Lol think it's a bit more different then that, hence the cancer rates, dementia and other things. It would seem they have better immunity from such things

Sindon Swingdon Swindon

Still not sure where technology fits unless that's reference to modern medicines etc.?

What I found interesting is the cancer stats and the lack or immunity of it. Never mind the mental health of the community "

post something we can search on. Article headline say.

By *ophieslutTV/TS 2 weeks ago

Central

Modern lifestyles aren't particularly healthy and the Amish by comparison probably have a healthier diet and activity level. They also have substantial community support, which is absent for many others today.

in the sticks

if you google Amish life expectancy and look for the Amish furniture factory article or the time magazine one

By *ustaboutSaneMan 2 weeks ago

BelLiv

Still not sure where technology fits unless that's reference to modern medicines etc.?"

My understanding was lack of technology meant more physical labour equates to much more physical exercise, more mental awareness, more grounding and inturn relating with their surroundings better and more this more purposeful. Physical and mental fitness are at a better balance and therefore provide better health.(Our mental and physical state do not work independently to each other).

By *ust RachelTV/TS 2 weeks ago

Eastbourne

[Removed by poster at 26/04/24 23:04:14]

By *oxychick35Couple 2 weeks ago

thornaby

Not

Sindon Swingdon Swindon

"if you google Amish life expectancy and look for the Amish furniture factory article or the time magazine one "
I see you've qouted directly !

The paper it links to seems to look at average age of those who survive past 30, so isn't a fair comparison to a average age at birth.

By *melie LALWoman 1 week ago

Peterborough

"if you google Amish life expectancy and look for the Amish furniture factory article or the time magazine one I see you've qouted directly !

The paper it links to seems to look at average age of those who survive past 30, so isn't a fair comparison to a average age at birth. "

The average age at birth, or indeed the age of birth starts with zero.

You're welcome

By *idnight RamblerMan 1 week ago

Pershore

"if you google Amish life expectancy and look for the Amish furniture factory article or the time magazine one I see you've qouted directly !

The paper it links to seems to look at average age of those who survive past 30, so isn't a fair comparison to a average age at birth.

You're welcome "

Not in China where you're born age one

By *melie LALWoman 1 week ago

Peterborough

You're welcome

Not in China where you're born age one "

If that's true I've learned something through Fab, who'd a thunk it

» Add a new message to this topic