FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > Politics > Question for Scotland

Question for Scotland

Jump to: Newest in thread

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

I believe every country has a right to. Decide its own destiny

But if you do break away from the uk are you sure you would qualify to gain entry on your own

It would be my first question to your MPs if I were Scottish

This is not a negative post to stir it up just a question

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *iamondjoeMan  over a year ago

Glastonbury

Don't forget Gibraltar

Same applies to everyone in uk including the Welsh Irish and our friends in Gibraltar

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

I'm scottish and I fear that we will be taken out the UK and back into EU. Hardly independent.

"I'm scottish and I fear that we will be taken out the UK and back into EU. Hardly independent."

Hi I agree, frying pan and fire springs to mind. Jim

By *igal17Man  over a year ago

Ayr

"I'm scottish and I fear that we will be taken out the UK and back into EU. Hardly independent."

Sturgeon does seem to be a paradox on this one - "I want to leave the UK to have control over our own destinies... by staying in the EU"

WTF?

"I believe every country has a right to. Decide its own destiny

But if you do break away from the uk are you sure you would qualify to gain entry on your own

This is not a negative post to stir it up just a question"

I voted to remain british and i voted out of europe, and il vote the same if i ever have to

By *rinking-in-laCouple  over a year ago

Bristol

We have a better chance of being in the EU if we leave the UK. We have 0 chance of staying in the EU as part of the U.K.

"Don't forget Gibraltar "

Gibraltar, is a little bit easier, they could vote to do as a Spanish dependency and would stay in the EU that way.

Scotland I'm afraid are fucked, they can't leave the UK and stay in the EU because they want to be independent and as such have never been in the EU, they could see who would have them as a dependency I suppose, ask Norway, Denmark, Ireland, but that's not very likely.

Either way there leaving the EU for least what 6 to 10 years? Before they could join as an independent Scotland

I hope they get the vote to stay in the eu and not join uk as this will be like the titanic in the end.

"I hope they get the vote to stay in the eu and not join uk as this will be like the titanic in the end."

There not in the EU mate, the UK are

"I hope they get the vote to stay in the eu and not join uk as this will be like the titanic in the end..

There not in the EU mate, the UK are"

I know. I meant to have a referendum to be independent then to be in the eu.

By *lik and PaulCouple  over a year ago

Flagrante

"I hope they get the vote to stay in the eu and not join uk as this will be like the titanic in the end..

There not in the EU mate, the UK are I know. I meant to have a referendum to be independent then to be in the eu."

...and then lose their independance again

I am A Scot, born & bred, still live in Perthshire and will fight tooth & nail to remain part of the UK without independence as there would be no independence in EU.

The people of this forum are split between leave and remain voters, this vote has gone, its finished.

Everyone should be now fighting together as a "united" U.K.

The EU are in talks right now, slagging us to hell, Germany are putting demands on us whilst we bicker with each other.

We should Unite and stand up against the EU countries who are out to make life hell for us. We are British, we don't back down, we stand and fight, or at least we should.

Where the hell has the British spirit gone

"I am A Scot, born & bred, still live in Perthshire and will fight tooth & nail to remain part of the UK without independence as there would be no independence in EU.

The people of this forum are split between leave and remain voters, this vote has gone, its finished.

The EU are in talks right now, slagging us to hell, Germany are putting demands on us whilst we bicker with each other.

We should Unite and stand up against the EU countries who are out to make life hell for us. We are British, we don't back down, we stand and fight, or at least we should.

Where the hell has the British spirit gone"

It went years and years ago when we got fat, lazy and greedy. Proof of this is blaming other people for the mess we made ourselves. Hence the continued in fighting we will have for years to come now.

As an employer I noticed it in the reluctance of millions of Brits to do a hard days work. Thank god the immigrants coming over here kept our work ethic going otherwise it would have vanished even sooner. As you say stronger together, not alone!

Passing into the EU for a separate Scotland would not be that easy. Firstly, it would have to get is domestic finances in order and it's currently running the biggest deficit of all Western nations. After all, free stuff such as University Education, lower retirement ages and such like has to be paid for. At the moment the entire UK is subsidising that given the low oil price.

There not in the EU mate, the UK are I know. I meant to have a referendum to be independent then to be in the eu....and then lose their independance again "

Yes on the news yesterday, that is what they talked about.

By *dinMan  over a year ago

Birmingham

have the scots got any idea what state they would be in had they got independence given what has happened to oil prices and the oil industry?

"I am A Scot, born & bred, still live in Perthshire and will fight tooth & nail to remain part of the UK without independence as there would be no independence in EU.

Im with you!

"have the scots got any idea what state they would be in had they got independence given what has happened to oil prices and the oil industry?"

Can you stop saying scots, 38% of us voted to leave the eu so say some scots lol

Birmingham

couldn't agree more. I started a thread along the positive vein earlier but it has disappeared off the list already I guess because the trolls don't want to hear a reality that is positive

Birmingham

"have the scots got any idea what state they would be in had they got independence given what has happened to oil prices and the oil industry?

Can you stop saying scots, 38% of us voted to leave the eu so say some scots lol"

good point - sorry

By *iverpool LoverMan  over a year ago

liverpool

The scottish mep did a speech just before in the eu and got a standing ovation.

He was practically on his knees begging the eu not to let scotland leave.

Then the northen ireland mep did the same.

was quite cringe worthy.

scotland and northen ireland are part of the UK, the UK voted to leave.

end of story.

if a persons vote was anonymous and was just put into one big pot with everyone elses, no age group, no location.

just 33 million votes and 17 million say out and 16 said remain.

non of this would be happening now.

I hate to think how much all these referendums are costing.

scottish refurendum in 2014 voted remain and now they want another 18 months later.

refurendum on the eu we vote to leave and now theres talk of a second refurendum.

We just need to stop bickering, except that majority of UK voted leave and band together and become a strong independant country that other countrys will envy.

"have the scots got any idea what state they would be in had they got independence given what has happened to oil prices and the oil industry?

Can you stop saying scots, 38% of us voted to leave the eu so say some scots lol

good point - sorry "

Thank you your forgiven lol

Birmingham

good point - sorry

Thank you your forgiven lol"

but my broader point was still valid

By *ane DTV/TS  over a year ago

Berlin, Germany

If they let us in.

With Spain having independence issues with Catalonia & the Basque country.

France with Corsica and the Basque country.

Belgium with Flanders

Italy with the Northern League

Austria with South Tyrol

And even Germany with occasional mutterings from Bavaria.

Do you really think the EU would let iScot into the club?

Never mind hitting the accession criteria.

couldn't agree more. I started a thread along the positive vein earlier but it has disappeared off the list already I guess because the trolls don't want to hear a reality that is positive"

I am sorry I never saw your thread, perhaps its time you rekindled it,

at times like this when the EU is trying to rip us to shreds we need to unite

Thankyou

By *otlovefun42Couple  over a year ago

Costa Blanca Spain...

There not in the EU mate, the UK are I know. I meant to have a referendum to be independent then to be in the eu."

Oh yes great move. Demand independence then then give it away next day.

Wont happen though, the Spanish will see to that.

By *ouple in LancashireCouple  over a year ago

in Lancashire

Always helps if one has a strategy or a plan with a plan b for the what ifs when one is going to have a fight..

Likening the current situation to a fight only draws sad paralel's with the Somme or the grand old Duke of York..

Yes we are where we are and accepted but what we've just seen is the army all gathered together ready to take on the opposition and the Generals who are meant to lead it have either gone awol or one is standing with his or her tunic on back to front saying come on follow me!!

Quoting 'British spirit' is all well and good but what is the direction of travel, the areas to concentrate it upon?

Scotland will not gain access to the EU whilst Spain is still a member. As someone said Nicola is ramping it up because of the fact that any future lacktmd Eu monies will need to come from somewhere and in that scenario Westminster holds the purse strings

in Lancashire

couldn't agree more. I started a thread along the positive vein earlier but it has disappeared off the list already I guess because the trolls don't want to hear a reality that is positive"

Because someone may have a different opinion to you they are a troll?

That's hardly the basis of a debate and only serves to try and stifle opposing views. It's not condusive to a mature exchange of views which certainly this issue requires.

Just a thought..

Birmingham

couldn't agree more. I started a thread along the positive vein earlier but it has disappeared off the list already I guess because the trolls don't want to hear a reality that is positive

That's hardly the basis of a debate and only serves to try and stifle opposing views. It's not condusive to a mature exchange of views which certainly this issue requires.

Just a thought.."

I accept your point in generality but the flaw is that most people start their post by criticising the stupid people who voted out - that is not a mature expression of a view

We're we not told at the Indy ref 2 yrs ago that we would not be accepted into the Eu if we were independent?

in Lancashire

Just a thought..

I accept your point in generality but the flaw is that most people start their post by criticising the stupid people who voted out - that is not a mature expression of a view"

Given you made your troll comment when there were only 2 contributors to the thread and the only other one was in agreement with your OP your response holds no water..

Whereby anyone user abuse against an opposing view is still not trolling, it's an indicator of their mindset is all.

You indicated on another thread that anyone who may not share your point of view would be a troll and that is what is not needed nor assist's with any debate..

"We're we not told at the Indy ref 2 yrs ago that we would not be accepted into the Eu if we were independent?"

Unless the EU agreed to change the entry requirements, an independent Scotland would not qualify.

If they did qualify and manage to join, it would be on terms imposed by the EU. That would almost certainly include joining the euro.

Scottish voters might not relish that?

"Given you made your troll comment when there were only 2 contributors to the thread and the only other one was in agreement with your OP your response holds no water..

Whereby anyone user abuse against an opposing view is still not trolling, it's an indicator of their mindset is all.

You indicated on another thread that anyone who may not share your point of view would be a troll and that is what is not needed nor assist's with any debate.."

would be nice if you could just mail the person you have grievance with direct, argue back and forward between the two of you rather than have everyone read your whinge with the OP, just post him direct

in Lancashire

"Given you made your troll comment when there were only 2 contributors to the thread and the only other one was in agreement with your OP your response holds no water..

You indicated on another thread that anyone who may not share your point of view would be a troll and that is what is not needed nor assist's with any debate..

would be nice if you could just mail the person you have grievance with direct, argue back and forward between the two of you rather than have everyone read your whinge with the OP, just post him direct"

It's not a whinge it's a valid opinion. Your quite familiar with the concept of open debate usually so it seems?

So thanks but keep your 'advice'

would be nice if you could just mail the person you have grievance with direct, argue back and forward between the two of you rather than have everyone read your whinge with the OP, just post him direct

It's not a whinge it's a valid opinion. Your quite familiar with the concept of open debate usually so it seems?

So thanks but keep your 'advice' "

where is the advice; no advice was given, perhaps you just thought it was advice????????

in Lancashire

So thanks but keep your 'advice'

where is the advice; no advice was given, perhaps you just thought it was advice????????"

So when you said 'would be nice' that was just your wish?

Maybe you should have just mailed me direct?

By *um24Man  over a year ago

Coventry

Real question is, if Scotland leave and the EU comes to its demise where will that leave the scots? As reports out that the Euro will not survive much longer than as little as three years from now! Just look at what is happening in the EU. It cannot sustain the instability it has had for some time now, they cannot keep bailing everyone out. Sooner your out the better in my opinion and the better long term solution for the UK. No offence intended if you find this negative in any way happy swinging either way!

By *ewels74Woman  over a year ago

Dundee/Angus/Blackpool

This plus I'm proud to be British, yes im a Scot but im proud of being in the whole UK.

I voted no to the Scottish ref, unfortunately I forgot to register for this ref,plus I was away anyway but i was actually unsure about what I would have voted to anyways.

When I see people fly flags saying "I am European, not British"makes me sad that to me first and foremost we are a British country we are a beautiful little island with a rich history.

By *elovetofuck2Couple  over a year ago

cannock

There was a article today that nicola fails to tell scots that they get a extra 1600 per head in benefits than people in england and wales made up from england bringing that money so if scotland left they would lose this along with scots having to have visas to work in england and wales... it doesnt make sense to leave the uk really

"We're we not told at the Indy ref 2 yrs ago that we would not be accepted into the Eu if we were independent?

Unless the EU agreed to change the entry requirements, an independent Scotland would not qualify.

If they did qualify and manage to join, it would be on terms imposed by the EU. That would almost certainly include joining the euro.

Scottish voters might not relish that?"

So she wants scotland to be independant but wants to be run by a foreign goverment

Seems to be a lot of experts on here who know exactly what other countries in eu are going to do when no decisions have been made so really you are all guessing and talking crap

"Seems to be a lot of experts on here who know exactly what other countries in eu are going to do when no decisions have been made so really you are all guessing and talking crap"

now this is a post we should all read

well said

By *anchestercubMan  over a year ago

manchester & NI

Go for it Scotland, you'll have a great opportunity to poach business from England and Wales.

Being in the EU works for many small countries, like the RoI and Denmark. Scotland can make it work.

Development money to be had too.

Don't let the English scare tactics put you off.

"Go for it Scotland, you'll have a great opportunity to poach business from England and Wales.

Being in the EU works for many small countries, like the RoI and Denmark. Scotland can make it work.

Don't let the English scare tactics put you off. "

and great for house prices too, as 16 million Englanders will be looking to move up to Scotland

anyone looking for a 5 bedroom, 5 Reception Room villa with an acre of ground, it wont be cheap but jump in before the rush

Hi guys all of you on fabswingers

You can say whatever you want but I will tell you something.

The brexit is just for people who make right now amazing money on the market.

After next few weeks or months UK will be going back to EU. You will see. Remember that what I said.

By *anchestercubMan  over a year ago

manchester & NI

"Go for it Scotland, you'll have a great opportunity to poach business from England and Wales.

Don't let the English scare tactics put you off.

and great for house prices too, as 16 million Englanders will be looking to move up to Scotland

anyone looking for a 5 bedroom, 5 Reception Room villa with an acre of ground, it wont be cheap but jump in before the rush "

Lots of properties will be available, the ageing population will be dying off as younger immigrants arrive.

But opportunities for development too.

The referendum was national. We vote together and we stand together. Sturgeon is using this as an excuse to get an independence referendum, nothing more nothing less...

By *nleashedCrakenMan  over a year ago

Widnes

"I'm scottish and I fear that we will be taken out the UK and back into EU. Hardly independent.

Sturgeon does seem to be a paradox on this one - "I want to leave the UK to have control over our own destinies... by staying in the EU"

WTF?"

Maybe she just doesn't believe the BREXIT lie that the EU commission is a bunch of unelected bureaucratic dictators on some power hungry ego trip and realises that they just set common rules across a free market to make sure that all the countries compete fairly.

And let's face it, we've set the precedent now by voting to leave the EU against our own best interests. It's win-win for Sturgeon now. If it all goes tits up she can say 'look, they dragged us our of the EU against our will and brought all this unnecessary pain and struggle on us. Scotland can't trust them again'; and if it goes well she can say 'look, they told us leaving the EU would cause financial ruin but look, it's fine. It will be the same for us leaving the UK". BREXIT is a gift horse for the nationalist what ever way it goes. Well done BREXITers, out of Europe, out of the money and the death nell of the UK. And all for.... well actually that's a good question, what is it all for? Maybe someone could tell me?

Widnes

"Don't forget Gibraltar .

Gibraltar, is a little bit easier, they could vote to do as a Spanish dependency and would stay in the EU that way.

Scotland I'm afraid are fucked, they can't leave the UK and stay in the EU because they want to be independent and as such have never been in the EU, they could see who would have them as a dependency I suppose, ask Norway, Denmark, Ireland, but that's not very likely.

Either way there leaving the EU for least what 6 to 10 years? Before they could join as an independent Scotland"

Actually Scotland could probably get in within a year or two. It already meets all the legal, democratic and social conditions to be a member. Going through the 35 chapters necessary to join would be a simple formality. It's only possibly problem would be Spain who might veto their entry but I think that could be sorted with a bit of good diplomacy.

There is also another alternative. Currently not all of the British Isles are currently in the EU now. The Channel Islands and the Isle Of Man are British, use the British Pound but are not in the EU. If the will is there and Scotland wants it, there is no reason why Scotland couldn't remain in the EU and still be British, even still part of the UK, while England and Wales leave. If we're willing to be imaginative and compromise, we may still save the Union.

Bristol

"The scottish mep did a speech just before in the eu and got a standing ovation.

was quite cringe worthy.

end of story.

if a persons vote was anonymous and was just put into one big pot with everyone elses, no age group, no location.

scottish refurendum in 2014 voted remain and now they want another 18 months later.

refurendum on the eu we vote to leave and now theres talk of a second refurendum.

We just need to stop bickering, except that majority of UK voted leave and band together and become a strong independant country that other countrys will envy.

"

You watched a different speech to the rest of the world. The rest of the world saw a man stand up for his country and say that Scotland was going to stand for itself and asked the EU to stand up also.

I dare say your rather jaundiced view may be somewhat biased.

Widnes

What wonderful patriotic talk bur it's just more anti EU bull shit. And as more and more people realise the full cost of BREXIT and the lies they were told in order to get Bojo in the best position possible to be the next Tory leader, the more angry they are going to become.

And now you want us to all pull together with you to get us out of the total mess you've all needlessly created for... well actually what is it all for because I really don't know?

But at the end of the day we will because us, the remainers, the true patriots who actually care about our country and the futures of those that live in it, will pull up our sleaves and do what we can to clear up the complete mess you and your BREXIT friends have landed us all in. But please no more cruddy motivational pep talks from those who have actually caused the problem in the first place.

"The scottish mep did a speech just before in the eu and got a standing ovation.

was quite cringe worthy.

end of story.

You watched a different speech to the rest of the world. The rest of the world saw a man stand up for his country and say that Scotland was going to stand for itself and asked the EU to stand up also.

I dare say your rather jaundiced view may be somewhat biased. "

Guess I was in another world too then as it was very embarrassing to me; I am a Scot and I am sure as hell not having him Begg to the EU for me, I will also be telling him that direct via Email

How dare he Begg and say Scotland is begging, makes me sick

Widnes

"There was a article today that nicola fails to tell scots that they get a extra 1600 per head in benefits than people in england and wales made up from england bringing that money so if scotland left they would lose this along with scots having to have visas to work in england and wales... it doesnt make sense to leave the uk really

"

Why would they need visa? Irish nationals never have?

By *horehouseCouple  over a year ago

dissatisfied

"I'm scottish and I fear that we will be taken out the UK and back into EU. Hardly independent.

WTF?"

We were part of the EEC /eu for forty years and had control of our destiny ..if as you believe we didn't then it was the Eec/eu that made us number two in the EU ..so in which case thank you for making the UK a wealthy nation.

was quite cringe worthy.

end of story.

Guess I was in another world too then as it was very embarrassing to me; I am a Scot and I am sure as hell not having him Beg to the EU for me, I will also be telling him that direct via Email

How dare he Beg and say Scotland is begging, makes me sick"

apologies; I listened again to his speech, he was begging, he said "I beg you" still embarrassing but at least he didn't say Scotland begs

I still sent him a protest Email

By *horehouseCouple  over a year ago

dissatisfied

What wonderful patriotic talk bur it's just more anti EU bull shit. And as more and more people realise the full cost of BREXIT and the lies they were told in order to get Bojo in the best position possible to be the next Tory leader, the more angry they are going to become.

And now you want us to all pull together with you to get us out of the total mess you've all needlessly created for... well actually what is it all for because I really don't know?

But at the end of the day we will because us, the remainers, the true patriots who actually care about our country and the futures of those that live in it, will pull up our sleaves and do what we can to clear up the complete mess you and your BREXIT friends have landed us all in. But please no more cruddy motivational pep talks from those who have actually caused the problem in the first place."

But at the end of the day we will because us, the remainers, the true patriots who actually care about our country and the futures of those that live in it, will pull up our sleaves and do what we can to clear up the complete mess you and your BREXIT friends have landed us all in. But please no more cruddy motivational pep talks from those who have actually caused the problem in the first place."

you can say please all you like or even beg but it will get you no where, you have truly shown your colours by damming every leave voter, you do realise how wrong that comment is

Well said

Widnes

But at the end of the day we will because us, the remainers, the true patriots who actually care about our country and the futures of those that live in it, will pull up our sleaves and do what we can to clear up the complete mess you and your BREXIT friends have landed us all in. But please no more cruddy motivational pep talks from those who have actually caused the problem in the first place.

you can say please all you like or even beg but it will get you no where, you have truly shown your colours by damming every leave voter, you do realise how wrong that comment is"

I notice that you still haven't informed as to exactly what this wonderful goal is we're all meant to be pulling together for. Because from where I'm sitting at it's best it looks no better than what we already had and at its worst a hell of a lot worse.

"

I notice that you still haven't informed as to exactly what this wonderful goal is we're all meant to be pulling together for. Because from where I'm sitting at it's best it looks no better than what we already had and at its worst a hell of a lot worse."

Its fairly simple, we all stop fighting, bickering with each other, We focus on work and employment, do bloody good jobs with good outcome

political parties work with each other to achieve good deals for the interest of Britain, We encourage our kids to study more, less bloody hand held games, more lessons & education and we all muck in as a country to increase production, tourism & financial, we build an economy to be proud of and focus on jobs for our youngsters

is that really too much to ask? surely you would agree this would be a better way of life

Widnes

"

I notice that you still haven't informed as to exactly what this wonderful goal is we're all meant to be pulling together for. Because from where I'm sitting at it's best it looks no better than what we already had and at its worst a hell of a lot worse.

Its fairly simple, we all stop fighting, bickering with each other, We focus on work and employment, do bloody good jobs with good outcome

political parties work with each other to achieve good deals for the interest of Britain, We encourage our kids to study more, less bloody hand held games, more lessons & education and we all muck in as a country to increase production, tourism & financial, we build an economy to be proud of and focus on jobs for our youngsters

is that really too much to ask? surely you would agree this would be a better way of life"

And you think that deliberately causing a financial crises, shrinking the size of the UK economy, putting at risk the integrity of the United Kingdom and reducing trade with our European neighbours is going to help in that.

Many of us were trying to do all those things before. Your lot just made all that a whole lot harder and for what? What's the up-side? I can't see any. So please tell me what is the goal that leaving the EU is meant to deliver that we couldn't deliver before?

Bristol

was quite cringe worthy.

end of story.

Guess I was in another world too then as it was very embarrassing to me; I am a Scot and I am sure as hell not having him Beg to the EU for me, I will also be telling him that direct via Email

How dare he Beg and say Scotland is begging, makes me sick

apologies; I listened again to his speech, he was begging, he said "I beg you" still embarrassing but at least he didn't say Scotland begs

I still sent him a protest Email"

Great, I am sure that will make all the difference.

I would rather he said what he did than no one stood before the parliament and made an honest appeal on behalf of Scotland,

Originally you said he was practically on his knees begging, now we are going to have to come to agreement that this was an exaggeration and you were trying to colour his otherwise perfectly normal comments with your own distaste for what he was saying and that your jaundiced comments were an attempt to make people who did not see the speech think badly of it and agree with your sentiment which has little or nothing to do with what he actually said, more that he said it at all and you don't like him.

Bristol

"

is that really too much to ask? surely you would agree this would be a better way of life"

We were doing a good job of that before. It has all just become much harder and far less likely that we will succeed.

To think that having input and association with our peers and neighbours was not a benefit despite some of the difficulties is a rather naïve consideration. The EU was not wholly a positive but the losses were well worth it for the opportunity and security it gave us.

This rather childish and jingoistic notion that Britian has the ability to do everything by itself and everyone will be better off simply because the laws we make are utterly selfish and don't need to consider our friends and neighbours is the sort of logic you would get from a 12 year old boy.

By *oo hotCouple  over a year ago

North West

WTF?"

Maybe the people of Scotland have not been brainwashed like the English and maybe they are aware that benefits of membership far outweigh the perceived negatives that plague the minds of their southern neighbours.

Bristol

WTF?

Maybe the people of Scotland have not been brainwashed like the English and maybe they are aware that benefits of membership far outweigh the perceived negatives that plague the minds of their southern neighbours."

Scotland has, for centuries, had a much more outward looking view than their English neighbours. For a variety of reasons, not least the need to build alliances to help fend off their English neighbours, but also because the Scottish people originate from Spain/France/Scandinavia and links therein have never been fully disconnected, but most of all, because Scotland has never tried to tell the world how it should arrange itself, it has always played a working partner role as opposed to the belligerent partner which England played and tries now still to play.

Therefore many people in Scotland think that being a partner with their European cousins is as or more important than with their English neighbours who have proven for centuries that the relationship between Scotland and England is one of English pride and requirement to be seen to rule over an entire island and to use the resources of Scotland for their own benefit. The EU arrangement is more about everyone sharing equal opportunities and access to the services everyone has.

That is a much more Scottish way of thinking than selfish grasping.

By *oo hotCouple  over a year ago

North West

WTF?

Maybe the people of Scotland have not been brainwashed like the English and maybe they are aware that benefits of membership far outweigh the perceived negatives that plague the minds of their southern neighbours.

Scotland has, for centuries, had a much more outward looking view than their English neighbours. For a variety of reasons, not least the need to build alliances to help fend off their English neighbours, but also because the Scottish people originate from Spain/France/Scandinavia and links therein have never been fully disconnected, but most of all, because Scotland has never tried to tell the world how it should arrange itself, it has always played a working partner role as opposed to the belligerent partner which England played and tries now still to play.

Therefore many people in Scotland think that being a partner with their European cousins is as or more important than with their English neighbours who have proven for centuries that the relationship between Scotland and England is one of English pride and requirement to be seen to rule over an entire island and to use the resources of Scotland for their own benefit. The EU arrangement is more about everyone sharing equal opportunities and access to the services everyone has.

That is a much more Scottish way of thinking than selfish grasping."

I get that

Bristol

WTF?

I get that "

Sadly not everyone does.

I posted this on another thread, its probably better here

ofcourse this vote leave/remain was not the difficult vote, the most difficult vote will ofcourse be for Scots to decide if they wish to remain in EU and in turn ballot for independence.

half my heart says stay with Britain, be British, be proud, the other half says go for Independence, okay that will go against my main arguments against Brussels but we can still fight that another day.

My head on the other hand says remaining in EU and an independent Scotland will hugely benefit Scotland, if Scotland plays its cards right, it will take away a huge amount of London financial market jobs as markets who intend to move to Europe may move up to Edinburgh and skilled employees will follow, estimates on this right now are between 50,000 to 100,000 jobs.

Scotland will take over Britain's roll as a hub into EU & Europe, USA and countries outside EU will deal with EU through us, this is a possibility.

On a personal front, I am looking into this with consideration of purchasing further property, I have a large property just now which is my home, and also a 2 bedroom flat, If I purchase more just now on the gamble that there will be an influx of Londoners as well as others who wish to remain part of the EU then property prices will continue to rise and further profit can be made. Its looking ahead but you have to spend your hard earned cash in some way and I feel in property, if you invest right, and it goes tits up, you still get your cash back. Of course The Scottish Government is also freeing up huge amounts of land right now with "the right to buy" and forcing sale of crofts etc which are not being worked on, this could be another move.

So the heavy decision still to come is for the people of Scotland to decide, will we become part of EU which in turn removes a huge lot of our say, will we fight for independence tearing us away from Britain but tieing us into the EU

or will we stay as we are.

You think the people of England and Wales have a lot to think about, we have twice as much

The other point is that so many Brits outwith Scotland put Scotland down, they say we cost England so much, they say things would be far better without us, this does not help in a decision.

So is it true, you want Scotland to leave, go for joint independence and EU membership, or do you wish us to remain as one united Britain

Convince me

By *est Wales WifeCouple  over a year ago

Near Carmarthen

It seems Scotland can decide what it wishes anyway

The following taken from House of Lords documents.

-------------------------------------------

The role of the devolved legislatures in implementing the withdrawal agreement

"We asked Sir David whether he thought the Scottish Parliament would have to give its consent to measures extinguishing the application of EU law in Scotland. He noted that such measures would entail amendment of section 29 of the Scotland Act 1998, which binds the Scottish Parliament to act in a manner compatible with EU law, and he therefore believed that the Scottish Parliament’s consent would be required. He could envisage certain political advantages being drawn from not giving consent."

Personally I find the 'British' spirit very arrogant - like we're soooo much better than everyone else. I see it all the time with Brits (not all but a fair amount in my line) working in Europe, as I do frequently. Not a pleasant trait. Not for me I'm afraid. Never described myself as British, never will.

B

WTF?

I get that "

I don't get it at all, I think it's just a personal opinion at best!.

Scots are from Norway, so they think more like Scandinavian!!.

The English are from France, do they think like the French?.

The Scots spent century's doing exactly what the English did... Colonise, the only difference was the Scots went bankrupt trying to do it and had to relent to a union with their biggest enemy the English or face disaster.

The English get a lot of stick for one reason, they were the biggest and most powerful and therefore they dominated the union....

That's just life, Germany have dominated the EU, America has dominated the world for the last 50 years.

To imagine there's some mystical difference between a scot and an English person is the biggest bunch of bigoted nationalistic bollocks I've ever heard.

The scots have spent 300 years evolving socialism because they've always spent more than they've earned and have had the perfect figure head of a giant dominant English controller.... Ring a ding, that sounds familiar

Is it right as you don't love us anymore you are restoring hadrians wall

"Is it right as you don't love us anymore you are restoring hadrians wall "

We've got Donald on it. He's going to build the Worlds bestest golf pitch on the Scotch side and the restaurant will offer all day full English Brexit.

Passport control will be through the wardrobe...

(You do know it wasn't us that built the wall right?)

B

Yep we did know who built it come on with the reputation of being tight we knew it would not be you

At least we can all have a laugh too many people falling out

Bristol

WTF?

I get that .

I don't get it at all, I think it's just a personal opinion at best!.

Scots are from Norway, so they think more like Scandinavian!!.

The English are from France, do they think like the French?.

The Scots spent century's doing exactly what the English did... Colonise, the only difference was the Scots went bankrupt trying to do it and had to relent to a union with their biggest enemy the English or face disaster.

The English get a lot of stick for one reason, they were the biggest and most powerful and therefore they dominated the union....

That's just life, Germany have dominated the EU, America has dominated the world for the last 50 years.

To imagine there's some mystical difference between a scot and an English person is the biggest bunch of bigoted nationalistic bollocks I've ever heard.

The scots have spent 300 years evolving socialism because they've always spent more than they've earned and have had the perfect figure head of a giant dominant English controller.... Ring a ding, that sounds familiar"

The Scots came from Ireland having travelled from continental Europe. There are many norse in Scotland too but the Scots are different.

The Scots 'actually' came about with an amalgamation of the Gaels on the West and North (so partly correct) and the Picts who were North and East; joining together to take on the Britons.

First 'Scots' don't make an appearance until the 9c

Similarly, Vikings (Norse and Scandic) didn't make an appearance until about the same time and were hoofed out after the treaty of Perth.

Anyhoo, back to tits, fannies and cocks...

B

Bristol

"The Scots 'actually' came about with an amalgamation of the Gaels on the West and North (so partly correct) and the Picts who were North and East; joining together to take on the Britons.

First 'Scots' don't make an appearance until the 9c

Similarly, Vikings (Norse and Scandic) didn't make an appearance until about the same time and were hoofed out after the treaty of Perth.

Anyhoo, back to tits, fannies and cocks...

B"

The Gaels and Picts didn't emerge from a swamp.

Oohhh a Scotland thread that's quite sensible

"Oohhh a Scotland thread that's quite sensible "

an old old old old thread at that

Old one's are the best

"Oohhh a Scotland thread that's quite sensible "

It's not going to be a sensible thread for much longer now you've bumped it and certain people will see it... but I have a feeling you knew that

"Oohhh a Scotland thread that's quite sensible

It's not going to be a sensible thread for much longer now you've bumped it and certain people will see it... but I have a feeling you knew that "

Me, never

» Add a new message to this topic