FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > Politics > "Pull together"

"Pull together"

Jump to: Newest in thread

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

I keep hearing and reading two phrases over and over again

"We need to pull together"

"It's how democracy works"

I have issue with both when it comes to voicing a political opinion different from someone else's.

Whichever way you voted you'll either be over the moon or pretty pissed off. (Unless you're that group of out voters who seem to have an "oh shit" moment)

Rather than ANOTHER thread on in or out, I just wanted a rant on how towing the line for a political decision you despise and living in a democractic country that promotes free speech don't really gel for me.

There's nothing more annoying than when concerns are raised that no real answer is given for other than "got to pull together". It's not something I want to pull anything together for. Why would I pull together for a future I don't want, didn't vote for, don't agree with and have real concerns over?

We're lucky we're in a country that allows free speech, we can voice our political opinions without fear of imprisonment. But part of that free speech is the right to kick right off when I feel decisions are wrong and to the detriment of my future and the future of any family I may or may not have.

In short, making the best of a bad situation is fine when you lock yourself out of the house but remember you have a snickers in your pocket. But please stop asking people to "pull together" for something they fundamentally disagree with.

I'll sit back and wait for the lazy, leftie, ignorant, whining, moaning, typical remainder comments...........

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

If you can't change it though, is it better to pull against what's happening or to make the best of it and try to perhaps influence it? I know which I've chosen to do.

"If you can't change it though, is it better to pull against what's happening or to make the best of it and try to perhaps influence it? I know which I've chosen to do."

I don't feel we have much influence by towing the line. A general election for example, you pull yourself together for 5 years until the next one. This feels different. It's irreversible.

I think I just struggle with being told to pull together when I can't stand the idea of what could happen in the next 2-10 years.

I think it's the blind optimism that's pissing me off.

Pull yourself together man, the vote was for the best

"Pull yourself together man, the vote was for the best "

It was inevitable this post would happen. I rarely stick my neck on the line but this time I will and say it really wasn't. But I won't pull myself together. I'm usually quite an optimist (single guy on FAB for gods sake I have to be) but I'm more inclined to go kicking and screaming this time

"Pull yourself together man, the vote was for the best

It was inevitable this post would happen. I rarely stick my neck on the line but this time I will and say it really wasn't. But I won't pull myself together. I'm usually quite an optimist (single guy on FAB for gods sake I have to be) but I'm more inclined to go kicking and screaming this time "

I know, that's why I wrote it

but pretty soon you'll realise that out was for the best

It was inevitable this post would happen. I rarely stick my neck on the line but this time I will and say it really wasn't. But I won't pull myself together. I'm usually quite an optimist (single guy on FAB for gods sake I have to be) but I'm more inclined to go kicking and screaming this time

but pretty soon you'll realise that out was for the best"

I'll hold you to that. Because 1) I won't because it isn't and 2) nothing is going to be great "pretty soon". We have a long road of uncertainty ahead

By *unandbuckCouple  over a year ago

Sheffield

I wouldn't say everyone should be saying everything is great. However , not much will be gained from over negativity. Voice your concerns and try to influence the method of brexit.

People who I wouldnt apply that logic to is , for example Osbourne who is still issuing 'we're all fucked' type comments. They aren't needed from a leader of the country.

"I wouldn't say everyone should be saying everything is great. However , not much will be gained from over negativity. Voice your concerns and try to influence the method of brexit.

People who I wouldnt apply that logic to is , for example Osbourne who is still issuing 'we're all fucked' type comments. They aren't needed from a leader of the country. "

100% with you there in regards to politicians comments. I think the magnitude of change does put people off banding together behind what they believe to be a fucking disaster. I think my point is that there is a lot of complex issues, concerns, genuine discord amongst the electorate and it really doesn't help when someone just says "get on with it", it boils my blood haha

By *obka3Couple  over a year ago

bournemouth

It was inevitable this post would happen. I rarely stick my neck on the line but this time I will and say it really wasn't. But I won't pull myself together. I'm usually quite an optimist (single guy on FAB for gods sake I have to be) but I'm more inclined to go kicking and screaming this time "

So what are you going to do? the decision has been made and you DO have to get on with it, you have no choice unless you pack your bags and go to a different country, the majority of those who voted wanted out and thats what will happen, we are very lucky to live in a country that allows free speech and democracy, as for those politicians who are bleating on about how we should have never been given a choice I should say if you were more honest and upfront perhaps the voters would respect you and listen more, they lie cheat and screw around a very poor example and the media are just as bad

So what are you going to do? the decision has been made and you DO have to get on with it, you have no choice unless you pack your bags and go to a different country, the majority of those who voted wanted out and thats what will happen, we are very lucky to live in a country that allows free speech and democracy, as for those politicians who are bleating on about how we should have never been given a choice I should say if you were more honest and upfront perhaps the voters would respect you and listen more, they lie cheat and screw around a very poor example and the media are just as bad "

The funny thing about voting against politicians is that by voting against Cameron (centre right conservative) you end up with Boris (further right conservative) and no labour opposition. But that's a different thread. It's too early to say what I will do. I hate the decision but I'm lucky enough to own my own business. A small business but at least it's mine and I don't have to worry right this second.

Every journey starts with a single step. Pull yourself together and get walking

"Every journey starts with a single step. Pull yourself together and get walking "

It's alright, you go first, you seem more confident. I'll stay back a while

Can you please, for my poor little negative brain, give me one actual, fact based advantage to the average person of leaving.

"Every journey starts with a single step. Pull yourself together and get walking

Can you please, for my poor little negative brain, give me one actual, fact based advantage to the average person of leaving. "

We can change Star Burst back to Opal Fruits. I'll leave the political advantages to the side as your little negative brain doesn't understand them.

By *oo hotCouple  over a year ago

North West

"Every journey starts with a single step. Pull yourself together and get walking

Can you please, for my poor little negative brain, give me one actual, fact based advantage to the average person of leaving. "

There are no facts, the correct answer was given to the wrong question.

The question should have been... Do you feel completely disenfranchised and left behind by a political elite who seem completely out of touch?

Leaving the EU and (god forbid) the single market will not address any of the perceived problems that the protest referendum highlighted - in fact it is likely to cause many more.

Unfortunately, our collective DNA has been programmed through invasion, conquering and subjugating others and we are therefore unable to see foreigners as equals or (worse) better than us. If you want an illustration of that just look through social media at the sheer venom directed at the foreign EU leaders who "dare" to pass laws that might affect the English.

Can you please, for my poor little negative brain, give me one actual, fact based advantage to the average person of leaving.

We can change Star Burst back to Opal Fruits. I'll leave the political advantages to the side as your little negative brain doesn't understand them."

Try me. Please try me. Because so far all I've heard is getting control back (of what nobody is quite sure) being great and standing together. Love to know what actual advantages I'll see. Try me, my brain is small admitidley, I was only in the top 2 percentile throughout my time in education rather than the top 1 percentile.

everything we owned has been sold off. i also don't know what we're gaining control of?

if he means laws and rights then a good majority are probably gonna end up worse off.

We can change Star Burst back to Opal Fruits. I'll leave the political advantages to the side as your little negative brain doesn't understand them.

Try me. Please try me. Because so far all I've heard is getting control back (of what nobody is quite sure) being great and standing together. Love to know what actual advantages I'll see. Try me, my brain is small admitidley, I was only in the top 2 percentile throughout my time in education rather than the top 1 percentile. "

Being able to remember things for an exam doesn't make you clever

The remain side do not understand why people voted to leave. On that basis I do not need to explain my reasons and opinion as to the advantages as you would not understand.

By *VBethTV/TS  over a year ago

Warminster

It wasn't about leaving the EU of today for me. It's about not being in the future EU. Ever closer integration will not work. Plans laid out by Germany include more federation, United Forces (EU army), United civil forces (EU police), adoption of all members laws (there are many daft ones), direct EU taxation and many others. All under the control of the EU. Not a good idea.

"It wasn't about leaving the EU of today for me. It's about not being in the future EU. Ever closer integration will not work. Plans laid out by Germany include more federation, United Forces (EU army), United civil forces (EU police), adoption of all members laws (there are many daft ones), direct EU taxation and many others. All under the control of the EU. Not a good idea. "

and I think if all that had been explained more then the Out vote would have been even bigger

I'll hold you to that. Because 1) I won't because it isn't and 2) nothing is going to be great "pretty soon". We have a long road of uncertainty ahead "

Your only 30 man up crack on reate your own opportunities dont sit waiting for mp's to do it. You have to make it happen

I'll hold you to that. Because 1) I won't because it isn't and 2) nothing is going to be great "pretty soon". We have a long road of uncertainty ahead

Your only 30 man up crack on reate your own opportunities dont sit waiting for mp's to do it. You have to make it happen "

I am. I own my own business. I just see further than the end of my nose

Try me. Please try me. Because so far all I've heard is getting control back (of what nobody is quite sure) being great and standing together. Love to know what actual advantages I'll see. Try me, my brain is small admitidley, I was only in the top 2 percentile throughout my time in education rather than the top 1 percentile.

Being able to remember things for an exam doesn't make you clever

The remain side do not understand why people voted to leave. On that basis I do not need to explain my reasons and opinion as to the advantages as you would not understand."

Remembering things for an exam doesn't make me clever, being clever makes me clever

Any coherent person would be able to produce an argument that, even if not agreed with, could be understood. Something you are either unable or unwilling to do. Either way it doesn't exactly thrust you on to a pedestal of genius. You simply look a tad silly

By *oo hotCouple  over a year ago

North West

"It wasn't about leaving the EU of today for me. It's about not being in the future EU. Ever closer integration will not work. Plans laid out by Germany include more federation, United Forces (EU army), United civil forces (EU police), adoption of all members laws (there are many daft ones), direct EU taxation and many others. All under the control of the EU. Not a good idea. "

You do know that Britain had the best of all worlds because we had an opt out on (amongst other things) ever closer union. The U.K. Was never going to be a part of any kind of federalised Europe in the same way it was never going to be part of Shengen and never going to adopt the Euro. The country was at the heart of Europe and (had we elected MEP's that gave a shit) we had the ability to provide influence and direction to the EU, access the single market and alligators benefits with none of the downsides.

"It wasn't about leaving the EU of today for me. It's about not being in the future EU. Ever closer integration will not work. Plans laid out by Germany include more federation, United Forces (EU army), United civil forces (EU police), adoption of all members laws (there are many daft ones), direct EU taxation and many others. All under the control of the EU. Not a good idea.

You do know that Britain had the best of all worlds because we had an opt out on (amongst other things) ever closer union. The U.K. Was never going to be a part of any kind of federalised Europe in the same way it was never going to be part of Shengen and never going to adopt the Euro. The country was at the heart of Europe and (had we elected MEP's that gave a shit) we had the ability to provide influence and direction to the EU, access the single market and alligators benefits with none of the downsides."

the UK enjoyed a "a la carte" membership of the EU a very strong position in negotiating our road ahead so this idea of us being dragged into a federal Europe holds little substance for me

"I keep hearing and reading two phrases over and over again

I have issue with both when it comes to voicing a political opinion different from someone else's.

There's nothing more annoying than when concerns are raised that no real answer is given for other than "got to pull together". It's not something I want to pull anything together for. Why would I pull together for a future I don't want, didn't vote for, don't agree with and have real concerns over?

We're lucky we're in a country that allows free speech, we can voice our political opinions without fear of imprisonment. But part of that free speech is the right to kick right off when I feel decisions are wrong and to the detriment of my future and the future of any family I may or may not have.

........"

DiscreetCH1

If you are so unhappy, so pissed off then why are you here?

There is a big fantastic World out there, no one is forcing you to stay in the UK and if you are so pissed off with it, like you say you are

then!!!

It makes me wonder why you are still here.

You should move to Scotland mate, its a fantastic place, but then you would whinge up here too

What about USA, another amazing place to live?

so? if you are so pissed off like you say, then do something about it

Life is short

By *horehouseCouple  over a year ago

dissatisfied

"I keep hearing and reading two phrases over and over again

DiscreetCH1

If you are so unhappy, so pissed off then why are you here?

There is a big fantastic World out there, no one is forcing you to stay in the UK and if you are so pissed off with it, like you say you are

then!!!

It makes me wonder why you are still here.

You should move to Scotland mate, its a fantastic place, but then you would whinge up here too

What about USA, another amazing place to live?

so? if you are so pissed off like you say, then do something about it

Life is short"

Well hand in hand because he can stay where he likes in the UK ..if you don't like his posts or his vision of the future UK dont follow them ..

"

Well hand in hand because he can stay where he likes in the UK ..if you don't like his posts or his vision of the future UK dont follow them .. "

I wasn't following it, I was just bored and thought I needed entertainment, does he need you to speak for him? I guess you have experience in bailing

» Add a new message to this topic