FabSwingers.com > Forums > Politics > "It's called diplomacy, Boris"

"It's called diplomacy, Boris"

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *iamondjoe OP   Man  over a year ago

Glastonbury

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/video_and_audio/headlines/36839721

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

Diplomacy is over-rated. Perhaps some straight talking. Calling a spade a F'in shovel would be more than welcome in politics.

By *entaur_UKMan  over a year ago

Cannock

You can tell Boris has already won John Kerry over. Watch the whole of the press conference from beginning to end and Boris not only had John Kerry wrapped around his little Finger but the assembled media too. Boris is going to be a great Foreign secretary for the UK.

"You can tell Boris has already won John Kerry over. Watch the whole of the press conference from beginning to end and Boris not only had John Kerry wrapped around his little Finger but the assembled media too. Boris is going to be a great Foreign secretary for the UK. "

Don't be silly. Why would anyone want to watch the entire press conference and form their own opinion when its far easier to be a sheep and believe the snippets you are fed.

"Diplomacy is over-rated. Perhaps some straight talking. Calling a spade a F'in shovel would be more than welcome in politics."

Im supposing you know how that quote came about right ?

"Diplomacy is over-rated. Perhaps some straight talking. Calling a spade a F'in shovel would be more than welcome in politics.

Im supposing you know how that quote came about right ? "

I meant to add it's got nothing to do with building or gardening btw

By *imiUKMan  over a year ago

Newbury

"Diplomacy is over-rated. Perhaps some straight talking. Calling a spade a F'in shovel would be more than welcome in politics.

I'm supposing not.

A spade is still a spade by any other name. Meaning it doesn't matter what name you apply to something it still does the same thing.

Thats the only use of the saying I've ever known unless I'm missing something.

By *andS66Couple  over a year ago

Derby

Do you? Or are you trying to imply that he was making a racist remark?

For your information, it comes from classic Greek literature. And came to be used in the English language in the 1500s. The phrase, or a variant of it, has been used by, among others, Charles Dickens, (Hard Times) and Oscar Wilde (Picture of Dorian Gray and The Importance of Being Earnest).

For your information, it comes from classic Greek literature. And came to be used in the English language in the 1500s. The phrase, or a variant of it, has been used by, among others, Charles Dickens, (Hard Times) and Oscar Wilde (Picture of Dorian Gray and The Importance of Being Earnest). "

I will sleep better at night knowing that

Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

By *illwill69uMan  over a year ago

moston

Boris is the Foreign Secretary his job is to stand up and fight for UK interests regardless of who he offends. In fact offending others is part of his job, because in doing so some will lose their temper and get distracted allowing our negotiators to slip things past our adversaries.

The Diplomatic Corps of the Foreign Office is where you find the diplomats, it is their job to smooth the waters after Boris and his staff stir the pot.

I think Boris will do a great job, he may act the buffoon but he is a very clever man who understands exactly how the game is played (and is very good at it too).

Glastonbury

Wiff waff!

moston

"Wiff waff!"

Yep! Turn up in another country and tell em their national game was invented by you. Give it a different (derogatory) name and tell em your taking it home...

Wander off having pissed right royally on their parade and let the diplomats smooth the waters while everyone will remember you and not what went before!

All done with a big cheesy grin that leaves your hosts fuming but unable to counter without looking like dicks.

You have to hand it to the man he is very skilled at the put down that sticks!

Glastonbury

"Boris is the Foreign Secretary his job is to stand up and fight for UK interests regardless of who he offends. In fact offending others is part of his job, because in doing so some will lose their temper and get distracted allowing our negotiators to slip things past our adversaries.

The Diplomatic Corps of the Foreign Office is where you find the diplomats, it is their job to smooth the waters after Boris and his staff stir the pot.

I think Boris will do a great job, he may act the buffoon but he is a very clever man who understands exactly how the game is played (and is very good at it too)."

He played a staggeringly bad hand.

1/ allied himself to a cause (Brexit) that he probably didn;t believe in on the assumption that when Leave lost he would be in poll position to take on Osborne for the Conservative party's top job.

2/ Lied, lied and lied thought the campaign (although tbf he wasn't the only one)

3/ Leave actually won (much to everyone's surpruse as they didn't quite seem to know what to do next in the Brexit camp.

4/ Gets knifed by Gove who points out (sneakily but very reasonably) that BoJo is a self-serving menace with

5/ Is even more surprised to find himself Foreign Secretary. Which even the foreign press find amusing.

Great political instincts

Glastonbury

Lest we forget:

After serial lair Boris Johnson was sacked from The Times for putting lies in a story and then lying about it, he got a job as Brussels correspondent on The Telegraph where he lied about Europe for a living.

In 1992 he wrote a piece "Delors' Plan To Rule Europe", described by a fellow hack as "the biggest whopper of all". It became a huge issue in the Danish referendum on the Maastricht Treaty.

Boris said: "My boast, and I make it in the confidence that no one gives a monkey's, is that I probably did contribute to the Danish rejection of Maastricht!"

24 years later he joined the Leave campaign.

Whadda guy.

"Boris is the Foreign Secretary his job is to stand up and fight for UK interests regardless of who he offends. In fact offending others is part of his job, because in doing so some will lose their temper and get distracted allowing our negotiators to slip things past our adversaries.

I think Boris will do a great job, he may act the buffoon but he is a very clever man who understands exactly how the game is played (and is very good at it too).

1/ allied himself to a cause (Brexit) that he probably didn;t believe in on the assumption that when Leave lost he would be in poll position to take on Osborne for the Conservative party's top job.

2/ Lied, lied and lied thought the campaign (although tbf he wasn't the only one)

3/ Leave actually won (much to everyone's surpruse as they didn't quite seem to know what to do next in the Brexit camp.

4/ Gets knifed by Gove who points out (sneakily but very reasonably) that BoJo is a self-serving menace with

5/ Is even more surprised to find himself Foreign Secretary. Which even the foreign press find amusing.

Great political instincts "

Do not agree with much of what you said,most of it is borne of dislike and opinion. However, putting all that aside he's acheived far more in life than you, me or anyone else on this site so he's doing something right.

Glastonbury

Do not agree with much of what you said,most of it is borne of dislike and opinion. However, putting all that aside he's acheived far more in life than you, me or anyone else on this site so he's doing something right."

That too, is an opinion

You have no idea what I have done with my life

Do not agree with much of what you said,most of it is borne of dislike and opinion. However, putting all that aside he's acheived far more in life than you, me or anyone else on this site so he's doing something right.

That too, is an opinion

You have no idea what I have done with my life "

Have you been London Mayor? Have you risen to member of the cabinet? Have you been the figurehead of the team that won the most votes of any issue ever held in this country?

If the answer is no to all those then you haven't acheived as much as him. I've many acheivements I'm proud of in life but none hold a candle to Boris.

By *oodmessMan  over a year ago

yumsville

"

Have you been London Mayor? Have you risen to member of the cabinet? Have you been the figurehead of the team that won the most votes of any issue ever held in this country?

If the answer is no to all those then you haven't acheived as much as him. I've many acheivements I'm proud of in life but none hold a candle to Boris."

Surely it is not how you win but the route taken getting there. Quite how you are blowing smoke up someones arse when most of his responsibilities have been stripped is just a comment on your ability to make reasoned judgement. I suppose this leads to understanding why you give so much emphasis on title - believing everything from those further up the food chain, as they are worth far more than in their greater character than you. baaaaaaaa baaaaaaaa.

By *horehouseCouple  over a year ago

dissatisfied

That too, is an opinion

If the answer is no to all those then you haven't acheived as much as him. I've many acheivements I'm proud of in life but none hold a candle to Boris."

Sorry but if you win by telling blatant lies miss truths and half truths you ain't worth a wank and that wamker isn't ..

"

If the answer is no to all those then you haven't acheived as much as him. I've many acheivements I'm proud of in life but none hold a candle to Boris.

Surely it is not how you win but the route taken getting there. Quite how you are blowing smoke up someones arse when most of his responsibilities have been stripped is just a comment on your ability to make reasoned judgement. I suppose this leads to understanding why you give so much emphasis on title - believing everything from those further up the food chain, as they are worth far more than in their greater character than you. baaaaaaaa baaaaaaaa. "

No one is worth more to me than my children and I am a firm believer no one is better than any other person who tries their best at anything in life. So don't try to rewrite what I said.

I've acheived far more than you could imagine. On top of that I earn shit loads of money and fully support all 3 of my children for everything. I have reached the highs of my career but still push for more. All I am pointing out is that people are so quick to take the piss out of someone like Boris who has pretty much acheived the most that can be expected of him. Yet those same people who critise have not got their head above the parapet and have done nothing in comparison.

I can't stand Jeremy Corbyn but I can respect him for standing by his beliefs. Would I want Boris Johnson running the country? No, but I can respect him for what he has acheived. Do I think Tony Blair is a cunt? Yes, but I can respect him for a lot of what he acheived. Do I aspire to be a single parent living on the breadline trying to work all the hours they can just to feed their children? Of course not, but I can respect them. Would I want to be an uneducated fool who could do nothing more than stack shelves for a living? No, but I can respect you for getting a job.

It's called humility.

That too, is an opinion

Sorry but if you win by telling blatant lies miss truths and half truths you ain't worth a wank and that wamker isn't .."

That would be every politician on the planet then

dissatisfied

That too, is an opinion

Sorry but if you win by telling blatant lies miss truths and half truths you ain't worth a wank and that wamker isn't ..

That would be every politician on the planet then "

yes it would ..there should be some sort of vetting to become a politician ..people who lead by example ..it just seems some of the dodgiest people on the planet get to run it ..

By *vsnikkiTV/TS  over a year ago

Limavady

"Diplomacy is over-rated. Perhaps some straight talking. Calling a spade a F'in shovel would be more than welcome in politics."

I prefer the idea that a spade is a simple entrenching tool used by grave diggers.

Glastonbury

"That too, is an opinion

Everybody knows foppy Boris, lovable Boris, the middle-aged man who comports himself as if he has wandered onto the public stage from the pages of an Enid Blyton book. Boris, the rogue who manages to wear so lightly his intelligence, his privileged education, his elitism. Boris, your only man if you want somebody to give it to you straight.

Who knows, if I had been born to wealthy parents and given a name like Alexander Boris de Pfeffel Johnson, gained a place at Eton and Oxford and helped by an elite network... maybe I could have made it into the cabinet.

Maybe I could also have been fired from newspapers for lying, fired from the shadow cabinet for lying, had multiple affairs and fathered children by women other than his wife, maybe I could write a bio of Churchill like I was writing about myself. Everything about good old Boris is designed to grab headlines.

I would contest his record as London Mayor too, everything behind the scenes was a disaster - housing targets (modest ones) failed, failure to remedy traffic problems, the 'Boris bikes' were actually Ken's idea, vital infrastructure projects were shelved in favour of fancy garden bridges or cable cars... He ranted and raved and fired people until senior aides pointed out that you can't run a city like that.

“It is easy to make promises - it is hard work to keep them," it is said but let's take a look at what he promised...

* Remember the pledge not to close a single tube ticket office? By the end of 2016 every single one will be permanently shut.

* How about the no strike deal he pledged to negotiate? Despite a crisis entirely of his own making, the Mayor refused point blank to meet staff representatives when, during the summer, tube strikes over the Night Tube brought London to a standstill.

* End rough sleeping by the Olympics? It’s almost doubled since 2008.

* No cuts to the fire brigade? Boris has closed ten stations and axe 13 fire engines.

* The pledge to help hard-pressed Londoners? Not hugely helped by eight years of transport fare increases pushing average ticket prices up 40 per cent, with bus fares up by almost half.

And that cast iron promise not to run for Parliament? How quickly the Mayoralty went from the “greatest job in the world” that “cannot be combined with any other political capacity” to merely an opportunity to “show what he could do” and “gain some administrative experience.”

He’s certainly not in politics to make my life better, Boris Johnson is in politics to make Boris Johnson’s life better.

He is not an individual worth emulating, imo.

But. As I say, you have no idea what I've done with my life, which has been exceedingly interesting thus far

moston

"Sorry but if you win by telling blatant lies miss truths and half truths you ain't worth a wank and that wamker isn't .."

I hate to burst your bubble, but winning is everything. It does not matter how you win, it does not matter if you lie and cheat your way to the top. Getting to the top is the objective and no matter how underhand the method used to get there it is all that matters. This is the way of politics! I have little time for any Tory politician but that does not mean to say I have to ignore or belittle their achievements.

Boris has managed to prosper by playing the buffoon while seeing off his political rivals and opponents, to dismiss him as a wanker is stupidity in the extreme!

And just for a little clarity, if Boris is a wanker for winning by lying, what does that make all those he has been able to openly lie to over 20 odd years and who still support him?

dissatisfied

"Sorry but if you win by telling blatant lies miss truths and half truths you ain't worth a wank and that wamker isn't ..

I hate to burst your bubble, but winning is everything. It does not matter how you win, it does not matter if you lie and cheat your way to the top. Getting to the top is the objective and no matter how underhand the method used to get there it is all that matters. This is the way of politics! I have little time for any Tory politician but that does not mean to say I have to ignore or belittle their achievements.

Boris has managed to prosper by playing the buffoon while seeing off his political rivals and opponents, to dismiss him as a wanker is stupidity in the extreme!

And just for a little clarity, if Boris is a wanker for winning by lying, what does that make all those he has been able to openly lie to over 20 odd years and who still support him?"

Bubble bursting time when an athlete wins by cheating its not a win ..bojo's achievements as London mayor were made on the back of ken livingstone ..he's been sacked from previous jobs for mistruths .. The referendum is there for all the world to see he is a lying wanker ..so no a win I not a win by any means

Cannock

"Sorry but if you win by telling blatant lies miss truths and half truths you ain't worth a wank and that wamker isn't ..

And just for a little clarity, if Boris is a wanker for winning by lying, what does that make all those he has been able to openly lie to over 20 odd years and who still support him?

Bubble bursting time when an athlete wins by cheating its not a win ..bojo's achievements as London mayor were made on the back of ken livingstone ..he's been sacked from previous jobs for mistruths .. The referendum is there for all the world to see he is a lying wanker ..so no a win I not a win by any means "

Bubble bursting time again, athletics is not the same as politics. Really dumb comparison.

moston

"Bubble bursting time when an athlete wins by cheating its not a win ..bojo's achievements as London mayor were made on the back of ken livingstone ..he's been sacked from previous jobs for mistruths .. The referendum is there for all the world to see he is a lying wanker ..so no a win I not a win by any means "

Again you miss the point, if an athlete wins by cheating like it or not they have won! If they get caught cheating and get away with it ('hand of god maradona') they have still won! if they get caught and don't get away with it they have lost.

Winning, and the morals and ethics of how winning is achieved are a separate issues and should not be confused.

dissatisfied

"Bubble bursting time when an athlete wins by cheating its not a win ..bojo's achievements as London mayor were made on the back of ken livingstone ..he's been sacked from previous jobs for mistruths .. The referendum is there for all the world to see he is a lying wanker ..so no a win I not a win by any means

Again you miss the point, if an athlete wins by cheating like it or not they have won! If they get caught cheating and get away with it ('hand of god maradona') they have still won! if they get caught and don't get away with it they have lost.

Winning, and the morals and ethics of how winning is achieved are a separate issues and should not be confused."

So you can in no way claim the referendum as a win then as there are law suits being prepared against him and farage ..as for lying and cheating that has come back to haunt many previous world politicians .. So as I have said I and many like me have no respect for anyone who lies and cheats there way to the top ..i you admire those type that your opinion any says a fair bit about yourself

By *oodmessMan  over a year ago

yumsville

And just for a little clarity, if Boris is a wanker for winning by lying, what does that make all those he has been able to openly lie to over 20 odd years and who still support him?"

Aaaand... you remember Blair being a little uncomfortable in press conferences post Chilcot. Everyone is accountable. Everyone falls. Stab your way to the top and you will be shamed publicly.

By *an_WoodMan  over a year ago

Stafford

Johnson still an eton wanker

The Day Boris stood in the leave EU camp i called it as his play for PM. I still stand by that prediction.

Brexit or not he could not possibly loose, it put him front and centre of Tory politics with very high media profile and certainly more popular than Dodgy Dave.

His Buffoonery and bungling style PR gives him the appearance of being one of 'us' despite his Eton/oxbridge education with elite establishment backers.

Now why will he be PM? He could have been the one to take over from Dodgy, but lets face it, in the next few years very little is going to be achieved while the Brexit details are hammered out and new trade deals with not only the EU, but the commonwealth and global markets need to be done..... so who is going to be the figure head for this miracle? Why none other than the foreign secretary of course.

The poor fool who takes over from Dodgy will not get re-elected on an election as people resent an unelected PM, historically it never ends well, look at Gordon Brown and John Major.

Boris knows this, even an idiot couldn't come out of Eton without knowing a few things, or at the very least a few people in the know.

Boris will be PM, he will stand either at the next election, or certainly the one after if it looks like a Tory defeat or hung parliament( likely given labours imminent split to left and right wings) and UKIP may will rise even further now Farage is out.

Boris knows exactly what he is doing.

Cannock

"Bubble bursting time when an athlete wins by cheating its not a win ..bojo's achievements as London mayor were made on the back of ken livingstone ..he's been sacked from previous jobs for mistruths .. The referendum is there for all the world to see he is a lying wanker ..so no a win I not a win by any means

Winning, and the morals and ethics of how winning is achieved are a separate issues and should not be confused.

So you can in no way claim the referendum as a win then as there are law suits being prepared against him and farage ..as for lying and cheating that has come back to haunt many previous world politicians .. So as I have said I and many like me have no respect for anyone who lies and cheats there way to the top ..i you admire those type that your opinion any says a fair bit about yourself "

Law suits could be filed against the Remain campaign. They lots bucket fulls of lies.

By *an_WoodMan  over a year ago

Stafford

So you can in no way claim the referendum as a win then as there are law suits being prepared against him and farage ..as for lying and cheating that has come back to haunt many previous world politicians .. So as I have said I and many like me have no respect for anyone who lies and cheats there way to the top ..i you admire those type that your opinion any says a fair bit about yourself

Law suits could be filed against the Remain campaign. They lots bucket fulls of lies. "

Farage when on question time BBC just before the vote on what the UK should spend it's EU contribution on after leaving. Answer "hospitals, schools and GPs"

Glastonbury

"Law suits could be filed against the Remain campaign. They lots bucket fulls of lies.

Farage when on question time BBC just before the vote on what the UK should spend it's EU contribution on after leaving. Answer "hospitals, schools and GPs" "

Aye.

Don't forget various EU funding streams that will have to be replaced or abandoned (CAP, EU Social Fund &c &c), plus the cost of the Ministry for Brexit (probs just a snap at £350m a week).

Oh, and I want my money for the NHS and schools pls.

Glastonbury

"Law suits could be filed against the Remain campaign. They lots bucket fulls of lies.

Farage when on question time BBC just before the vote on what the UK should spend it's EU contribution on after leaving. Answer "hospitals, schools and GPs"

Aye.

Don't forget various EU funding streams that will have to be replaced or abandoned (CAP, EU Social Fund &c &c), plus the cost of the Ministry for Brexit (probs just a snap at £350m a week).

"

Oh bugger. And the UK is/was the largest single recipient of EU science and tech funding - £800m.

That'll need filling.

Glastonbury

Then there was the £8.5bn a year that Leave said we'd save if we left the EU, so we did...

And you and I as taxpayers and shareholders in the nationalised RBS and Lloyds have seen the value of their shares drop by £10.2bn.

Great math guys.

Cannock

Aye.

Oh bugger. And the UK is/was the largest single recipient of EU science and tech funding - £800m.

That'll need filling. "

That was our money Joe, we paid it to the EU and then they gave it back to us. No reason why we can't cut out the EU middle man and put that money into those areas ourselves.

Glastonbury

Aye.

That'll need filling.

That was our money Joe, we paid it to the EU and then they gave it back to us. No reason why we can't cut out the EU middle man and put that money into those areas ourselves. "

As I say, I wait with baited breath for them to make good those promises.

They will, won't they?

Cannock

Aye.

"

There is no such thing as EU funding. It was always British taxpayers money which we gave to the EU in our membership fee, then the EU gave it back to us and called it "funding". Only we gave more to them, than they were giving back to us, which is why there will be extra money spare for the NHS.

moston

" you admire those type that your opinion any says a fair bit about yourself "

Again you miss the point. Recognition of ability and admiration of how smooth political operators manipulate the sheeple to attain their goals is not the same as approval or sharing the same morals and ethics. However that you fail to take any notice of anything I have said that does not fit with your image of me speaks volumes about your thinking and how much you allow your emotional investment in a subject to govern your thinking.

I on the other hand try to divorce all emotions from politics and the formation of opinions in general. I find it helps me see through the hype to the reality of issues.

dissatisfied

Aye.

There is no such thing as EU funding. It was always British taxpayers money which we gave to the EU in our membership fee, then the EU gave it back to us and called it "funding". Only we gave more to them, than they were giving back to us, which is why there will be extra money spare for the NHS. "

When your employer pays your wages to you its no longer company money when you pay your taxes its no longer your money its the UK government money when the UK government pays EU membership money ots the EU money ..you cant spend it then keep calling it you own cause its not

dissatisfied

" you admire those type that your opinion any says a fair bit about yourself

Again you miss the point. Recognition of ability and admiration of how smooth political operators manipulate the sheeple to attain their goals is not the same as approval or sharing the same morals and ethics. However that you fail to take any notice of anything I have said that does not fit with your image of me speaks volumes about your thinking and how much you allow your emotional investment in a subject to govern your thinking.

I on the other hand try to divorce all emotions from politics and the formation of opinions in general. I find it helps me see through the hype to the reality of issues."

So your saying its ok to cheat and lie your way through life ? ..no wonder society has taken a change for the worse

moston

"So your saying its ok to cheat and lie your way through life ? ..no wonder society has taken a change for the worse "

Again no! At no time have I expressed a personal opinion about anyones conduct!

What I have done is state that regardless of anyones opinion about the methods used a win is a win! Are you totally blinded to that reality by your personal opinion? Or are you being deliberately obtuse in the hope of distorting what I say?

dissatisfied

"So your saying its ok to cheat and lie your way through life ? ..no wonder society has taken a change for the worse

Again no! At no time have I expressed a personal opinion about anyones conduct!

What I have done is state that regardless of anyones opinion about the methods used a win is a win! Are you totally blinded to that reality by your personal opinion? Or are you being deliberately obtuse in the hope of distorting what I say?"

You support a win is a win by any means well I'm sorry i don't ..so lets take lance Armstrong how many wins ? None stripped because a win by foul means isn't a win ..so lets prove foul means and not just roll over..supporting win by any means is condoning that type of behavior and make those supporting it not much better than the liars and cheats purporting the lies and cheats

moston

"You support a win is a win by any means well I'm sorry i don't ..so lets take lance Armstrong how many wins ? None stripped because a win by foul means isn't a win ..so lets prove foul means and not just roll over..supporting win by any means is condoning that type of behavior and make those supporting it not much better than the liars and cheats purporting the lies and cheats "

Stop distorting what I say. I have never said I support winning by any means. I have said that regardless of anyones approval or disapproval a win is a win and that cheating or the use of deceit does not invalidate that win.

I have also said that you have to respect and admire anyone who has found a way to continually win by openly deceiving those you need the support of to win.

I would suggest that the reason Boris is able to do this is because those who could defeat him share your attitude of contempt and that Boris exploits that contempt to defeat any who challenge him.

dissatisfied

"You support a win is a win by any means well I'm sorry i don't ..so lets take lance Armstrong how many wins ? None stripped because a win by foul means isn't a win ..so lets prove foul means and not just roll over..supporting win by any means is condoning that type of behavior and make those supporting it not much better than the liars and cheats purporting the lies and cheats

Stop distorting what I say. I have never said I support winning by any means. I have said that regardless of anyones approval or disapproval a win is a win and that cheating or the use of deceit does not invalidate that win.

I have also said that you have to respect and admire anyone who has found a way to continually win by openly deceiving those you need the support of to win.

I would suggest that the reason Boris is able to do this is because those who could defeat him share your attitude of contempt and that Boris exploits that contempt to defeat any who challenge him."

Athlete Jones stripped of Olympic medals. A win by cheating is not a win there are many examples just political wins haven't been scrutinised enough in the past well change is on the way ...

By *ouple in LancashireCouple  over a year ago

in Lancashire

"I have said that regardless of anyones approval or disapproval a win is a win and that cheating or the use of deceit does not invalidate that win.

I have also said that you have to respect and admire anyone who has found a way to continually win by openly deceiving those you need the support of to win."

once you go down that route its a slippery slope to a moral mess..

well done son you won that egg and spoon race and no one saw you elbow the other kid in the nose..

by all means carry on admiring and respecting those you deem 'winners' by openly deceived others but don't be surprised that the majority don't share such views..

"That too, is an opinion

Everybody knows foppy Boris, lovable Boris, the middle-aged man who comports himself as if he has wandered onto the public stage from the pages of an Enid Blyton book. Boris, the rogue who manages to wear so lightly his intelligence, his privileged education, his elitism. Boris, your only man if you want somebody to give it to you straight.

Who knows, if I had been born to wealthy parents and given a name like Alexander Boris de Pfeffel Johnson, gained a place at Eton and Oxford and helped by an elite network... maybe I could have made it into the cabinet.

Maybe I could also have been fired from newspapers for lying, fired from the shadow cabinet for lying, had multiple affairs and fathered children by women other than his wife, maybe I could write a bio of Churchill like I was writing about myself. Everything about good old Boris is designed to grab headlines.

I would contest his record as London Mayor too, everything behind the scenes was a disaster - housing targets (modest ones) failed, failure to remedy traffic problems, the 'Boris bikes' were actually Ken's idea, vital infrastructure projects were shelved in favour of fancy garden bridges or cable cars... He ranted and raved and fired people until senior aides pointed out that you can't run a city like that.

“It is easy to make promises - it is hard work to keep them," it is said but let's take a look at what he promised...

* Remember the pledge not to close a single tube ticket office? By the end of 2016 every single one will be permanently shut.

* How about the no strike deal he pledged to negotiate? Despite a crisis entirely of his own making, the Mayor refused point blank to meet staff representatives when, during the summer, tube strikes over the Night Tube brought London to a standstill.

* No cuts to the fire brigade? Boris has closed ten stations and axe 13 fire engines.

* The pledge to help hard-pressed Londoners? Not hugely helped by eight years of transport fare increases pushing average ticket prices up 40 per cent, with bus fares up by almost half.

And that cast iron promise not to run for Parliament? How quickly the Mayoralty went from the “greatest job in the world” that “cannot be combined with any other political capacity” to merely an opportunity to “show what he could do” and “gain some administrative experience.”

He’s certainly not in politics to make my life better, Boris Johnson is in politics to make Boris Johnson’s life better.

But. As I say, you have no idea what I've done with my life, which has been exceedingly interesting thus far "

As someone who actually lives in a London Borough I beg to differ on his success as London Mayor.

Glastonbury

"That too, is an opinion

But. As I say, you have no idea what I've done with my life, which has been exceedingly interesting thus far

As someone who actually lives in a London Borough I beg to differ on his success as London Mayor. "

As someone who lived in London from 1997-2012, I know what I'm talking about too.

I ain't cuntry bumpkin

moston

"by all means carry on admiring and respecting those you deem 'winners' by openly deceived others but don't be surprised that the majority don't share such views..

"

Again you mistake respect for approval.

Unfortunately most are like you and as a result the cheats and liars are able to prosper because you refuse to give any respect to their methods.

I for one refuse to allow myself to be hoodwinked and the only way I have found to manage this is to admire and respect the skills of those I see profiting from deception. Until you respect what someone is doing you cant properly see and learn from what you see. Until you learn how you are being manipulated you will continually be a victim of the same manipulation. Me, I like to learn from and not repeat my mistakes.

I do agree with you that the majority refuse to learn from experience, and I have grudging admiration for anyone who by force of personality is able to prosper by openly deceiving those needed to support that prosperity. Boris does that with consummate ease.

By *ouple in LancashireCouple  over a year ago

in Lancashire

"by all means carry on admiring and respecting those you deem 'winners' by openly deceived others but don't be surprised that the majority don't share such views..

Unfortunately most are like you and as a result the cheats and liars are able to prosper because you refuse to give any respect to their methods.

I for one refuse to allow myself to be hoodwinked and the only way I have found to manage this is to admire and respect the skills of those I see profiting from deception. Until you respect what someone is doing you cant properly see and learn from what you see. Until you learn how you are being manipulated you will continually be a victim of the same manipulation. Me, I like to learn from and not repeat my mistakes.

I do agree with you that the majority refuse to learn from experience, and I have grudging admiration for anyone who by force of personality is able to prosper by openly deceiving those needed to support that prosperity. Boris does that with consummate ease. "

and there's me thinking that 'admire and respect' exhibits an approval..

once they are found to be cheats and liars then they should be exposed as such and any actions rectified, its got fuck all to do with respect..

cheats and liars don't prosper because they are afforded respect or not they do so because they get away with it..

you seem to have a bit of a warped view and you are totally wrong in your outlook..

moston

[Removed by poster at 24/07/16 17:56:01]

For your information, it comes from classic Greek literature. And came to be used in the English language in the 1500s. The phrase, or a variant of it, has been used by, among others, Charles Dickens, (Hard Times) and Oscar Wilde (Picture of Dorian Gray and The Importance of Being Earnest). "

You're saying that Socrates used to drop f-bombs?

I do agree with you that the majority refuse to learn from experience, and I have grudging admiration for anyone who by force of personality is able to prosper by openly deceiving those needed to support that prosperity. Boris does that with consummate ease. "

So what should be the punishment for Mr Corbyn, now that he's been exposed as a deceiver?

Glastonbury

For your information, it comes from classic Greek literature. And came to be used in the English language in the 1500s. The phrase, or a variant of it, has been used by, among others, Charles Dickens, (Hard Times) and Oscar Wilde (Picture of Dorian Gray and The Importance of Being Earnest).

You're saying that Socrates used to drop f-bombs? "

Maybe he uttered the ancient Greek version?

He was eventually banned for life from the agora... I mean condemned to death for corrupting the youth.

Glastonbury

I do agree with you that the majority refuse to learn from experience, and I have grudging admiration for anyone who by force of personality is able to prosper by openly deceiving those needed to support that prosperity. Boris does that with consummate ease.

So what should be the punishment for Mr Corbyn, now that he's been exposed as a deceiver? "

Funny how that particular piece of shit doesn't seem to stick...

» Add a new message to this topic