FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > Politics > Uber

Uber

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *oo hot OP   Couple  over a year ago

North West

"Uber is such a great thing that you can judge how corrupt a city is by how hard the city fights against Uber."

Agree 100%

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *ary_JosephCouple  over a year ago

South Shields

""Uber is such a great thing that you can judge how corrupt a city is by how hard the city fights against Uber."

Agree 100% "

That just about sums Uber up....

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

""Uber is such a great thing that you can judge how corrupt a city is by how hard the city fights against Uber."

Agree 100% "

do you know how many women were sexually assaulted by Uber drivers in London alone last year?

A city fighting against unlicensed & uninsured have a go taxi drivers .... the shame

my vehicles are similar to my home, only very close friends invited

By *enard ArgenteMan  over a year ago

London and France

Do there was an incident in New York last night; an explosion, so the public transport was restricted for awhile.

Uber immediately doubles it's prices .....

So public spirited....

By *ouple in LancashireCouple  over a year ago

in Lancashire

[Removed by poster at 18/09/16 09:15:06]

By *lik and PaulCouple  over a year ago

Flagrante

Heard of uber but never really knew what it was....just looked at their website and the potential for problems is obvious so I would avoid it personally.

North West

"Do there was an incident in New York last night; an explosion, so the public transport was restricted for awhile.

So public spirited....

"

As it happens I am there now and went back to my hotel at 10pm by Uber so I am calling BS on your post. What would have happened had there been few Uber cars around and demand was high then yes, prices would have gone up due to demand. There was I squeeze on demand and therefore no meaningful increase in price.

My experience of peak time Uber is that instead of being at least half the price of cabs it is about 75% of the price. My experience of regular cabs at peak times is that they are naturally expensive and hard to get.

Fare out 7pm 20.32 miles - $23.63

Fare back 10.04pm 20.29 miles - $24.04

North West

Agree 100%

do you know how many women were sexually assaulted by Uber drivers in London alone last year? "

No - do you?

London and France

"Do there was an incident in New York last night; an explosion, so the public transport was restricted for awhile.

So public spirited....

As it happens I am there now and went back to my hotel at 10pm by Uber so I am calling BS on your post. What would have happened had there been few Uber cars around and demand was high then yes, prices would have gone up due to demand. There was I squeeze on demand and therefore no meaningful increase in price.

My experience of peak time Uber is that instead of being at least half the price of cabs it is about 75% of the price. My experience of regular cabs at peak times is that they are naturally expensive and hard to get.

Fare back 10.04pm 20.29 miles - $24.04"

My freind in NewYork related exactly the rise in Uber fares at the time of the explosion;

And Uber themselves have stated that they applied " surge " charges of 1.8 times the normal price at the time.

Uber are a blight on the world . And screwing/ exploiting the drivers who work for them, too. I applaud the cities that are banning them.

North West

So public spirited....

My freind in NewYork related exactly the rise in Uber fares at the time of the explosion;

And Uber themselves have stated that they applied " surge " charges of 1.8 times the normal price at the time.

Uber are a blight on the world . And screwing/ exploiting the drivers who work for them, too. I applaud the cities that are banning them."

Please provide a link where Uber have stated that they applied a 1.8 surge charge last night. It certainly was not in place at 10pm last night in Greenwich Village which is only a few blocks from Chelsea.

By *UNKIEMan  over a year ago

south east

Dont get me started on they robbing over charging bassas...a law unto themselves ...the drivers only get a percentage of the fare ..the rest goes to the states

North West

So public spirited....

Uber are a blight on the world . And screwing/ exploiting the drivers who work for them, too. I applaud the cities that are banning them."

Do you have any experience AT ALL of Uber or are you regurgitating urban myths? I have yet to meet a single Uber driver who was unhappy with Uber and if they were, they could always be regular cabbies. The fact that so many former cabbies are now self employed Uber drivers suggests that may be a lot better for them to be Uber drivers than it was for them to be cabbies.

North West

"Dont get me started on they robbing over charging bassas...a law unto themselves ...the drivers only get a percentage of the fare ..the rest goes to the states

"

The drivers get 80% of the fare. Typically, part time drivers in the bigger Metropolitan areas will earn $400-$500 per week for around 20 hours.

London and France

So public spirited....

Uber are a blight on the world . And screwing/ exploiting the drivers who work for them, too. I applaud the cities that are banning them.

Do you have any experience AT ALL of Uber or are you regurgitating urban myths? I have yet to meet a single Uber driver who was unhappy with Uber and if they were, they could always be regular cabbies. The fact that so many former cabbies are now self employed Uber drivers suggests that may be a lot better for them to be Uber drivers than it was for them to be cabbies."

Yes, I do; a freind of mine tried it when he was made redundant. I got to know several Uber drivers.

All were really kissed off with it; they were ones who tried to do it " honestly"; once you have worked out the additional costs of your car, proper insurance, etc, it's difficult to make decent money unless you are driving 14/16 hours a day.

Uber pays lip service to any screening ( drivers are effectively self employed, so " not their problem"). Many are not properly insured, and drive way over any semblance of safe hours.

And fraud by Uber drivers is rife. Uber will take no responsibility for it.

south east

"Dont get me started on they robbing over charging bassas...a law unto themselves ...the drivers only get a percentage of the fare ..the rest goes to the states

The drivers get 80% of the fare. Typically, part time drivers in the bigger Metropolitan areas will earn $400-$500 per week for around 20 hours."

Taxi fares are set to a formula which gives drivers a wage and customer value for their hard earned cash ....to suddenly put fares up through the roof just because its busy is extortion in my book plain and simple

south east

And dont even start with how good it is for drivers..ubers main focus at the moment is driverless cars taking drivers out the equation and pocketing ALL the cash for themselves

North West

Uber must be very different in the UK than it is in the USA. Either that or many Brits are so afraid of change that they believe and perpetuate myths in order to prevent change.

London and France

"Uber must be very different in the UK than it is in the USA. Either that or many Brits are so afraid of change that they believe and perpetuate myths in order to prevent change."

No Uber us the same all over the world;

It is a company which makes its money by providing an app / internet access, to provide a service.

That's fine, except that the service is provided by " self employed" workers.

So Uber avoids any employer responsibility to its " so called employees" .

It avoids having to provide holidays, sick pay, any responsibility for health and safety, training, tax and national insurance, pensions, security, which is all now the responsibility of the individual driver.

It avoids legitimate licensing fees.

It avoids any corporate responsibility for " its" passengers.

It exploits people who are finding difficulty getting employment.

So it simply makes money for the company, and doesnt give a fair cut to its drivers.

Many other companies are jumping on this bandwagon of using " self employed" to avoid corporate responsibility .

Dekiveroo foes fine thing similar ( hence the recent "strike".

A number of other delivery companies are exploiting people in the same way.

North West

[Removed by poster at 18/09/16 12:54:31]

"Uber must be very different in the UK than it is in the USA. Either that or many Brits are so afraid of change that they believe and perpetuate myths in order to prevent change."

Your in New York and your spending half your day on fab!!!

what is wrong with you?

North West

"Uber must be very different in the UK than it is in the USA. Either that or many Brits are so afraid of change that they believe and perpetuate myths in order to prevent change.

It is a company which makes its money by providing an app / internet access, to provide a service.

It avoids having to provide holidays, sick pay, any responsibility for health and safety, training, tax and national insurance, pensions, security, which is all now the responsibility of the individual driver.

So it simply makes money for the company, and doesnt give a fair cut to its drivers.

Many other companies are jumping on this bandwagon of using " self employed" to avoid corporate responsibility .

A number of other delivery companies are exploiting people in the same way."

I maintain, as a consumer that Uber is the best development in "taxi" services that I have ever seen. It is convenient, it is affordable, the cars are better and cleaner than regular cabs, no tipping is allowed and I have never met an unhappy driver.

You made a statement earlier that Uber had said they applied a 1.8 surge charge and I asked you to provide a link or validation of that? Similarly your comments above are mainly bluster and biased opinions. If what you say is true, Uber would not be expanding - it would not even get off the ground. Why are so many drivers leaving private hire companies where they truly ARE exploited for the freedom to work as and when they want and to build and develop their own reputation instead of working for an exploitative private hire company?

As a final point and this is what does it for us..,,

Whenever we order a cab in the UK (Private Hire) we have to specifically ask that they send a car with clean seats. Is it not reasonable to expect that the car is clean anyway and you are not sitting on dirty seats and the driver is presentable and polite? I have done 50+ journeys by Uber in the US and without exception have had clean cars driven by clean, presentable and overly polite drivers and paid significantly less than I would have by regular cab. Every time I come here there are more Uber drivers and my general opinion is that the drivers are much, much happier than the surly and sometimes rude private hire drivers that I get in the UK,

I can't wait for Uber to really take off in the UK. Upwards and onwards. You can't stop progress.

North West

"Uber must be very different in the UK than it is in the USA. Either that or many Brits are so afraid of change that they believe and perpetuate myths in order to prevent change.

Your in New York and your spending half your day on fab!!!

what is wrong with you?"

It is 8am and I come here four or five times a year anyway. I did the touristy stuff many years ago.

London and France

A number of other delivery companies are exploiting people in the same way.

I maintain, as a consumer that Uber is the best development in "taxi" services that I have ever seen. It is convenient, it is affordable, the cars are better and cleaner than regular cabs, no tipping is allowed and I have never met an unhappy driver.

You made a statement earlier that Uber had said they applied a 1.8 surge charge and I asked you to provide a link or validation of that? Similarly your comments above are mainly bluster and biased opinions. If what you say is true, Uber would not be expanding - it would not even get off the ground. Why are so many drivers leaving private hire companies where they truly ARE exploited for the freedom to work as and when they want and to build and develop their own reputation instead of working for an exploitative private hire company?

As a final point and this is what does it for us..,,

Whenever we order a cab in the UK (Private Hire) we have to specifically ask that they send a car with clean seats. Is it not reasonable to expect that the car is clean anyway and you are not sitting on dirty seats and the driver is presentable and polite? I have done 50+ journeys by Uber in the US and without exception have had clean cars driven by clean, presentable and overly polite drivers and paid significantly less than I would have by regular cab. Every time I come here there are more Uber drivers and my general opinion is that the drivers are much, much happier than the surly and sometimes rude private hire drivers that I get in the UK,

I can't wait for Uber to really take off in the UK. Upwards and onwards. You can't stop progress. "

The sooner Uber is put back in its box the better.

I couldn't care less about what it does in UK; I guess given the dire state of UK taxi industry, it may be good there; where taxis have a good set up it is certainly disruptive and dangerous.

And Uber uses disturbing tactics against anyone who opposes it .

It also relies on being an Internet company, and " internationally based" to avoid any regulation.

In Germany, for instance, real taxis and taxi companies have set up their own internet based taxi service, where proper licensing and control is maintained , by connecting proper employers together.

Agree 100%

do you know how many women were sexually assaulted by Uber drivers in London alone last year?

No - do you?"

By *inky-MinxWoman  over a year ago

Grantham

I've used Uber and it seemed great to me

North West

Agree 100%

No - do you?

32"

I think that you mean there were 32 ALLEGATIONS and 1 (one) conviction.

Of course even one is too many but...

Uber arranges more than a million rides EVERY WEEK in London and all drivers are licensed by Transport for London and have undergone exactly the same enhanced criminal background checks as black cab drivers.

There were 800 ALLEGED sexual assaults on the Underground and more than 120 ALLEGED sexual assaults in taxis.

There is no 100% safe form of transport but Uber do as much as is required by the law to protect its passengers and there is no difference in the background checks for black cabs, private hirew or Uber drivers.

London and France

Except that by its business model, it deliberately avoids any responsibility for its drivers actions.

North West

"Except that by its business model, it deliberately avoids any responsibility for its drivers actions. "

Meaning what? I am self employed are you saying that I shouldn't be because someone should be employing me in case I do something wrong so that a higher authority can be blamed?

AFAIK Black Cab drivers in London are also selm employed aren't they?

You do realise that despite protestations - the earth will continue its orbit, man will evolve and everything that we do will change and some things will be good, others not so good. For passengers - my experience is that Uber cars are the the way forwards and if it means challenging the way "it has always been done." All well and good.

Agree 100%

No - do you?

32"

How many in non uber taxis?

"Except that by its business model, it deliberately avoids any responsibility for its drivers actions. "

Would you say the same for air bnb? The origin of the business model is amazing. There is a demand of housing, there is a supply of unused houses.

Uber is an exact copy of that model with cars.

Many uber drivers I used in Amsterdam and London are cheaper and the drivers I spoke to, work for a mini cab company too. They see it as an opportunity to earn more money. Do official mini cab drivers still need to pay the company money to licence themselves?

Agree 100%

No - do you?

How many in non uber taxis?"

Found a source for your number. It was on the Independent.

"Freedom of Information data obtained by The Sun newspaper revealed 32 assault claims were made against employees of the taxi-hailing app in London over the past twelve months, equal to one every eleven days.

The figure represents more than a fifth of all claims against taxi and car-hire drivers filed to 14 UK police forces last year, which totalled at 154 allegations including attacks in minicabs and chauffeur vehicles."

Still not clear if the 154 is in the UK or London or in a year. Then we should look at the % of drivers or rides. Calculate if it's riskier in uber or a normal taxi service. Maybe it's riskier to walk home alone. I don't know, but if I were to claim uber is dangerous I'd provide more facts and figures to support it.

Agree 100%

No - do you?

Uber arranges more than a million rides EVERY WEEK in London and all drivers are licensed by Transport for London and have undergone exactly the same enhanced criminal background checks as black cab drivers.

There were 800 ALLEGED sexual assaults on the Underground and more than 120 ALLEGED sexual assaults in taxis.

There is no 100% safe form of transport but Uber do as much as is required by the law to protect its passengers and there is no difference in the background checks for black cabs, private hirew or Uber drivers."

I just read this after my post. But almost ditto.

By *igsteve43Man  over a year ago

derby

I like the idea of uber but do think they should go through the same tests black cabbies have too ie the knowledge

By *mmabluTV/TS  over a year ago

upton wirral

Agree 100% "

It is uber that is corrupt I know I have been a taxi driver

North West

"I like the idea of uber but do think they should go through the same tests black cabbies have too ie the knowledge "

Why? Private Hire drivers don't need to.

North West

Agree 100% It is uber that is corrupt I know I have been a taxi driver"

What is corrupt about Uber? It cuts through Taxi and private hire cartels, provides great value rides and it is a product of modern technology. The drivers are happy, the customers are happy and in the main it is just the establishment and established cabbies who spread the lies.

London and France

Agree 100% It is uber that is corrupt I know I have been a taxi driver"

I agree with the original post;though it was not, I think , what was intended;

In that those cities that do fight Uber are the ones that are not corrupt .

I haven't had a taxi for about ....oooo ten years?.

I walk or cycle nearly everywhere in my private life.

Somebody said to me awhile back about getting a taxi and I said why don't you wank, she replied it's 3 miles do you know how long it would take....I said yeah actually I do, about 35 minutes, I do it all the time, she seemed very disturbed by that.

What I've come to realise is that when you get taxis you start to think mentally that a short walk is a chore, whereas when you walk 1 or 2 miles regularly then three miles doesn't seem a big deal.

Most cab journeys are under 1 mile or about a 10 to 20 minute walk depending on your pace.

So to summarise, you could save money, keep fit and loose weight by just using your legs!

North West

"I haven't had a taxi for about ....oooo ten years?.

Somebody said to me awhile back about getting a taxi and I said why don't you wank, she replied it's 3 miles do you know how long it would take....I said yeah actually I do, about 35 minutes, I do it all the time, she seemed very disturbed by that.

What I've come to realise is that when you get taxis you start to think mentally that a short walk is a chore, whereas when you walk 1 or 2 miles regularly then three miles doesn't seem a big deal.

Most cab journeys are under 1 mile or about a 10 to 20 minute walk depending on your pace.

So to summarise, you could save money, keep fit and loose weight by just using your legs!"

A three mile walk in 35 minutes is a pretty furious pace! A good jogging pace is 6 mph which would eat up 3 miles in 30 minutes. 3 mph is a strong, but steady walking pace and the three miles would therefore take an hour.

So to summarise, you could save money, keep fit and loose weight by just using your legs!

A three mile walk in 35 minutes is a pretty furious pace! A good jogging pace is 6 mph which would eat up 3 miles in 30 minutes. 3 mph is a strong, but steady walking pace and the three miles would therefore take an hour."

You really don't have a clue about uber

Agree 100%

No - do you?

There is no 100% safe form of transport but Uber do as much as is required by the law to protect its passengers and there is no difference in the background

checks for black cabs, private hirew or Uber drivers."

ffs. How unimdformed are you?

North West

A three mile walk in 35 minutes is a pretty furious pace! A good jogging pace is 6 mph which would eat up 3 miles in 30 minutes. 3 mph is a strong, but steady walking pace and the three miles would therefore take an hour.

You really don't have a clue about uber"

Ok clearly you do have a clue. I only use them almost every day for 10-20 days, four times a year and do can only base my judgements on what I see and experience.

I bow to your better knowledge and experience garnered from urban myths, bullshit internet theories and other such nonsense.

Agree 100%

No - do you?

There is no 100% safe form of transport but Uber do as much as is required by the law to protect its passengers and there is no difference in the background

checks for black cabs, private hirew or Uber drivers.

ffs. How unimdformed are you?"

You completely ignored the point. Also without a counter argument. Please inform us of your point? With some facts to back it from other angles.

A three mile walk in 35 minutes is a pretty furious pace! A good jogging pace is 6 mph which would eat up 3 miles in 30 minutes. 3 mph is a strong, but steady walking pace and the three miles would therefore take an hour."

Maybe countryside walking, you can whizz along on pavements,i regularly walk to a country pub near me and it takes me 30 minutes(takes awhile longer walking home like)!.

Next time I walk it I'll measure it on Google maps

derby

Agree 100% It is uber that is corrupt I know I have been a taxi driver

What is corrupt about Uber? It cuts through Taxi and private hire cartels, provides great value rides and it is a product of modern technology. The drivers are happy, the customers are happy and in the main it is just the establishment and established cabbies who spread the lies."

You keep on saying the drivers are happy you didnt see the documentary on the beeb the other night where uber drivers talked about how badly they were treated

North West

What is corrupt about Uber? It cuts through Taxi and private hire cartels, provides great value rides and it is a product of modern technology. The drivers are happy, the customers are happy and in the main it is just the establishment and established cabbies who spread the lies.

You keep on saying the drivers are happy you didnt see the documentary on the beeb the other night where uber drivers talked about how badly they were treated "

So why don't they just stop? They are not employees and they can just stop being an Uber driver if they don't like it. They could always work on private hire if they felt it was better.

derby

You keep on saying the drivers are happy you didnt see the documentary on the beeb the other night where uber drivers talked about how badly they were treated

So why don't they just stop? They are not employees and they can just stop being an Uber driver if they don't like it. They could always work on private hire if they felt it was better.

"

People will put up with a lot when the money is good but it doesnt make it right that said i think uber is a great app just believe they should operate on a level playing field

» Add a new message to this topic