FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > Politics > Rememberance Sunday Thoughts

Rememberance Sunday Thoughts

Jump to: Newest in thread

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

Like many of you, I have been watching the annual Rememberance Sunday commemoration from The Cenotaph.

I am always so touched by the stories of the participants, those who have served personally or the relatives of those who have died in the service of their country.

I think that it is one of the only events that (almost) universally unites our country. Her Majesty The Queen has, I feel, has always shown dedication to her role as sovereign and never more so than this annual commemoration. The sense of gravitas she provides to proceedings add further poignancy.

Political leaders standing side by side, if only for mere minutes also show how, when required, we can come together.

The sea of thousands, from all walks of life, all faiths, creeds and nationalities also touches me deeply.

I am grateful to live in this country and for the hard fought freedoms we enjoy. Nothing makes me more grateful than today's events and rememberance of those who have paid the ultimate price.

Lest we forget .

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *estivalMan  over a year ago

borehamwood

Went to the war memorial up road from me was a good turnout at least a cpl of hundred people.took my five year old with me who proceeded to tell me wat it was all for.glad she is being taught about it in school.

"Went to the war memorial up road from me was a good turnout at least a cpl of hundred people.took my five year old with me who proceeded to tell me wat it was all for.glad she is being taught about it in school."

I think, sadly, this year was the first year there hasn't been a service in my village on the day. There was a service last night in the chapel.

It is very good that children, of all ages, are taught about it all. I am impressed that they are teaching it to children so young.

By *estivalMan  over a year ago

borehamwood

Is a c of e school she attends not so sure if there teaching them about it in other primarys around here. But agree with you is definatley sumthing they should be taught about

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

I'm not religious by any means, but annual days like this I make the point of going to my local Church service for remembrance.

Going for a walk later to reflect on the national and international sacrifice made by so many different nations and peoples.

"Is a c of e school she attends not so sure if there teaching them about it in other primarys around here. But agree with you is definatley sumthing they should be taught about"

I know it's taught in key stages 2 - 4 in Wales certainly. I would hope it is universal across the UK.

"I'm not religious by any means, but annual days like this I make the point of going to my local Church service for remembrance.

Going for a walk later to reflect on the national and international sacrifice made by so many different nations and peoples."

It is good to reflect and remember. And, dare I say, hope? Hope that we may one day see an end to conflict.

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

"I'm not religious by any means, but annual days like this I make the point of going to my local Church service for remembrance.

Going for a walk later to reflect on the national and international sacrifice made by so many different nations and peoples.

It is good to reflect and remember. And, dare I say, hope? Hope that we may one day see an end to conflict. "

Yes that is something we should all aim for. Sadly most likely impossible, but the more we reflect on the mistakes of the past, the more we a re likely to avoid making them again.

By *obka3Couple  over a year ago

bournemouth

We must never forget the scarifice made,or the sheer bravery of those sent over the top into a hail bullets, I cant imagine the fear in their hearts and yet they did it time and again

By *awandOrderCouple  over a year ago

SW London

"Is a c of e school she attends not so sure if there teaching them about it in other primarys around here. But agree with you is definatley sumthing they should be taught about"

It is taught in KS One also ... many many children are recent immigrants from war torn countries so the message resonates so much more with them

"Is a c of e school she attends not so sure if there teaching them about it in other primarys around here. But agree with you is definatley sumthing they should be taught about

It is taught in KS One also ... many many children are recent immigrants from war torn countries so the message resonates so much more with them"

I guessed it would be. Of course conflict is still on our doorstep and we can sometimes fail to remember that. Makes a challenge for the teaching staff, but is living history for the other children.

It is good to reflect and remember. And, dare I say, hope? Hope that we may one day see an end to conflict.

Yes that is something we should all aim for. Sadly most likely impossible, but the more we reflect on the mistakes of the past, the more we a re likely to avoid making them again. "

I still hope.

» Add a new message to this topic