FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > Politics > 17% Fall in EU student applications

17% Fall in EU student applications

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *LCC OP   Couple  over a year ago

Cambridge

Among the myriad of experts the Leave campaign said we shouldn't listen to were university leaders.

Today we have the first proof of the referendum impact on universities with a 17% fall in EU student applications, and prospective staff from the EU withdrawing their applications.

Imperial College London said its ability to carry out world-beating science research could be tarnished by the loss of EU funding.

“The impact of the loss of EU research funding on the research productivity of the UK’s universities will be substantial, especially given that Imperial wins more than its pro-rata fair share of research funding,” it said.

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

Cambridge

But we don't need experts, so what's the point of universities anyway, right?

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

Then our government should fill in the shortfall .

Tho I'm not so sure that a drop in Student numbers wouldn't be a good thing

Well, a lot of Italians can't afford the fees. The Greeks are feeling the pinch a bit, too.

By *anes HubbyCouple  over a year ago

Babbacombe Torquay

"Then our government should fill in the shortfall .

Tho I'm not so sure that a drop in Student numbers wouldn't be a good thing "

On a strictly financial footing it's very bad for the economy, overseas students bring in serious amounts of money to the system and to economies local to universities.

So no, not a good thing.....

On a strictly financial footing it's very bad for the economy, overseas students bring in serious amounts of money to the system and to economies local to universities.

So no, not a good thing....."

Ah, all I see from students is an increase in takeaways.

By *mmabluTV/TS  over a year ago

upton wirral

"Among the myriad of experts the Leave campaign said we shouldn't listen to were university leaders.

Today we have the first proof of the referendum impact on universities with a 17% fall in EU student applications, and prospective staff from the EU withdrawing their applications.

Imperial College London said its ability to carry out world-beating science research could be tarnished by the loss of EU funding.

“The impact of the loss of EU research funding on the research productivity of the UK’s universities will be substantial, especially given that Imperial wins more than its pro-rata fair share of research funding,” it said."

This a downside of leaving but it is a price we will have to pay

"Among the myriad of experts the Leave campaign said we shouldn't listen to were university leaders.

Imperial College London said its

ability to carry out world-beating science research could be tarnished by the loss of EU funding.

“The impact of the loss of EU research

funding on the research productivity of the UK’s universities will be

substantial, especially given that

Imperial wins more than its pro-rata fair share of research funding,” it said."

Well that's starnge as according to the Imperial college website Brxit is unlikely to impact british businesses and they will continue to seek out the best graduates from around the world.

And as for a decline in EU student numbers the key word there is COULD so again a prediction.

Strangely the Telegraph in August said numbers had jumped 11% but in October they reported a 9% drop !!!!!

The Gaurdian in July reported that EU student numbers have been plummeting for years !!!!!

As alway's you are looking for headline seeking news to slam the leave vote and doom monger at every opportunity.

I rarely comment on here but you and 1 or 2 others on here sometimes make my blood boil.

How about you take a look at some of the positives that are going on in this great country instead of looking for negatives all the time.

Thanks Andy

Babbacombe Torquay

Ah, all I see from students is an increase in takeaways."

So where do you think they live?......in alleyways?

Books....Stationary....Rent......Food.....Transport fares....Utility bills....

All goes into our economy ££££££££

By *obka3Couple  over a year ago

bournemouth

All goes into our economy ££££££££"

The trouble is half of them dont pay their loans back

Babbacombe Torquay

The trouble is half of them dont pay their loans back"

EU students don't get loans from the British government, but they do spend heavily while studying in the UK......I see the it first hand in Exeter, overseas students inject £££££'s into the local economy.

bournemouth

EU students don't get loans from the British government, but they do spend heavily while studying in the UK......I see the it first hand in Exeter, overseas students inject £££££'s into the local economy."

According to the studend loan company they do

Cambridge

ability to carry out world-beating science research could be tarnished by the loss of EU funding.

Imperial wins more than its pro-rata fair share of research funding,” it said.

Well that's starnge as according to the Imperial college website Brxit is unlikely to impact british businesses and they will continue to seek out the best graduates from around the world.

And as for a decline in EU student numbers the key word there is COULD so again a prediction.

Strangely the Telegraph in August said numbers had jumped 11% but in October they reported a 9% drop !!!!!

The Gaurdian in July reported that EU student numbers have been plummeting for years !!!!!

As alway's you are looking for headline seeking news to slam the leave vote and doom monger at every opportunity.

I rarely comment on here but you and 1 or 2 others on here sometimes make my blood boil.

How about you take a look at some of the positives that are going on in this great country instead of looking for negatives all the time.

Thanks Andy "

Hi Andy, interesting to hear on reports written in August and October, seeing as applications for Oxford and Cambridge don't close until October 15th, so how would they have known the number of EU student applications made since the referendum?

Most other university applications are open until January, with some art courses open until March.

This data has come out now because applications for Cambridge close out so much earlier than other universities, we won't know the impact that it has had on the non Oxbridge universities until next year. Perhaps you should go back and read those articles, or the one in the OP a little closely. Then you might notice that there is no COULD, there HAS been a 17% drop.

Sorry is bad news about Brexit makes your blood boil, perhaps you should have thought a little more carefully which box to put your mark in.

All goes into our economy ££££££££"

Strange that our economy doesn't seem to benefit. Apart from clubs and takeaways.

Cambridge

Strange that our economy doesn't seem to benefit. Apart from clubs and takeaways."

Of course our economy benefits, why do you think that we don't?

Babbacombe Torquay

Strange that our economy doesn't seem to benefit. Apart from clubs and takeaways."

A ridiculous suggestion.....but something I half expected from you.

Strange that our economy doesn't seem to benefit. Apart from clubs and takeaways.

A ridiculous suggestion.....but something I half expected from you."

You did?

Well, if you lived here, you might just begin to understand it.

EU students don't get loans from the British government, but they do spend heavily while studying in the UK......I see the it first hand in Exeter, overseas students inject £££££'s into the local economy."

Students injecting ££££££s into the economy, what a huge laugh

Students don't have any money - if they did, they wouldn't be students. All they inject into the UK are STDs and injuries from d*unken/drugged escapades which cost our NHS a fortune to treat.

Cambridge

A ridiculous suggestion.....but something I half expected from you.

You did?

Well, if you lived here, you might just begin to understand it."

Do you think someone who lives in Cambridge might know a thing or two about students?

By *inky-MinxWoman  over a year ago

Grantham

"How about you take a look at some of the positives that are going on in this great country instead of looking for negatives all the time.

Thanks Andy "

I left the politics threads over the dooming and glooming by the remoaners.

Nobody knows what will happen still

By *inky-MinxWoman  over a year ago

Grantham

"Students injecting ££££££s into the economy, what a huge laugh

Students don't have any money - if they did, they wouldn't be students. All they inject into the UK are STDs and injuries from d*unken/drugged escapades which cost our NHS a fortune to treat."

Foreign students pay for their tuition etc. and do indeed bring much needed funds into Universities.

Babbacombe Torquay

EU students don't get loans from the British government, but they do spend heavily while studying in the UK......I see the it first hand in Exeter, overseas students inject £££££'s into the local economy.

Students injecting ££££££s into the economy, what a huge laugh

Students don't have any money - if they did, they wouldn't be students. All they inject into the UK are STDs and injuries from d*unken/drugged escapades which cost our NHS a fortune to treat."

What a funny little world you live in......

Babbacombe Torquay

"Students injecting ££££££s into the economy, what a huge laugh

Students don't have any money - if they did, they wouldn't be students. All they inject into the UK are STDs and injuries from d*unken/drugged escapades which cost our NHS a fortune to treat.

Foreign students pay for their tuition etc. and do indeed bring much needed funds into Universities."

Ignore the troll......he's just very bitter about life.

Thanks Andy

Hi Andy, interesting to hear on reports written in August and October, seeing as applications for Oxford and Cambridge don't close until October 15th, so how would they have known the number of EU student applications made since the referendum?

Most other university applications are open until January, with some art courses open until March.

This data has come out now because applications for Cambridge close out so much earlier than other universities, we won't know the impact that it has had on the non Oxbridge universities until next year. Perhaps you should go back and read those articles, or the one in the OP a little closely. Then you might notice that there is no COULD, there HAS been a 17% drop.

Sorry is bad news about Brexit makes your blood boil, perhaps you should have thought a little more carefully which box to put your mark in. "

Brexit could see EU student numbers nose dive, Cambridge warns

see the word could !!!!!!

What makes my blood boil is not bad news about Brexit, it is your attitude to it, the fact that you have nothing good to say about the UK leaving the EU.

Andy

Cambridge

Thanks Andy

Sorry is bad news about Brexit makes your blood boil, perhaps you should have thought a little more carefully which box to put your mark in.

What makes my blood boil is not bad news about Brexit, it is your attitude to it, the fact that you have nothing good to say about the UK leaving the EU.

Andy"

Try reading again Andy:

"Cambridge also said its latest data for undergraduate admissions in 2017 had already revealed a drop in applications from the EU by 17%. Because applications to Cambridge close well ahead of most other institutions, it is the first solid evidence of a “Brexit effect” hitting university applications."

This has already happened, the 17% is this years figures, it's not a could, or might or maybe.

The could in the title is relating to it could get much worse that 17%

https://www.theguardian.com/education/2016/dec/08/brexit-could-see-eu-student-numbers-nose-dive-cambridge-warns?CMP=Share_AndroidApp_Facebook

There is NOTHING good about the UK leaving the EU, so why would I lie about such things just to make you happy?

The Truth is none of us really know if leaving the E U will be good or bad ?

I think it will be good but time will tell ?

But student influx fron the eu has been declining steadily for years

All your doing is blaming it on Brexit when in fact that isn't the case

Like I said all you do is find things to besmirch Brexit when in fact as it is so patentky obvious to most people in both sides of the divide that we are leaving

So it may be time to accept that fact and support your country you may not like it but thats life

Andy

By *oi_LucyCouple  over a year ago

Barbados

"

Andy"

Oh for fuck's sake! Seriously?!

You are seriously going to quote the headline and not even bother to read as far as the subheading of the article which states that they have already seen a drop. Or, god forbid, you'd actually read the actual article itself and look at the actual figures they publish.

What makes my blood boil are people who read headlines and not even bother to take 2 seconds to think about what they reading or being told. How many people told me in my 'media manipulation' thread that it doesn't matter about what newspapers say as no-one takes any notice? And here we have a very good example of it. And this is not even on an article that is trying to put any spin on anything, merely someone taking exception to the word 'could' in the headline.

There may be good things about leaving the EU. In my opinion I think we lose way more than we would gain and that we are going to majorly fuck ourselves over. Yes, we will hopefully recover from it, but I'm just pissed off that we could have borrow/spent all the money we are on Brexit on something far more productive.

-Matt

Ha ha seriously Matt take a chill pill man

This isnt life and death but I am sure you will find some kind of analogy that majes it so

I am not able to check out things right now but I will later and get back to you

But the fact still remains the influx has declined steadily for years

Andy

"

There is NOTHING good about the UK leaving the EU, so why would I lie about such things just to make you happy?

"

And therein lies your problem.

Cambridge

"

And therein lies your problem."

If you think Brexit is only going to be a problem for me, you have quite a shock coming.

Cambridge

"Ha ha seriously Matt take a chill pill man

This isnt life and death but I am sure you will find some kind of analogy that majes it so

I am not able to check out things right now but I will later and get back to you

Andy

"

Are you going to back that statement up with some facts Andy? We know that Cambridge has had a 17% decrease from 2016 to 2017, so what was the decrease from 2015 to 2016?

"

And therein lies your problem.

If you think Brexit is only going to be a problem for me, you have quite a shock coming."

the problem is that you see NOTHING

Andy

Are you going to back that statement up with some facts Andy? We know that Cambridge has had a 17% decrease from 2016 to 2017, so what was the decrease from 2015 to 2016?"

17%? That it? A lot still want to come then eh

Barbados

Andy

"

Yes, you are right. I shouldn't respond to forum trolls and idiots, but alas I keep taking the bait.

-Matt

bournemouth

Andy

Yes, you are right. I shouldn't respond to forum trolls and idiots, but alas I keep taking the bait.

-Matt"

So anyone that has a different point of view isan idiot

Barbados

Andy

-Matt

So anyone that has a different point of view isan idiot "

No, different viewpoints are very much welcome. Especially if they come attached to people to can debate those viewpoints effectively.

I'm referring to people who do things like try to argue their viewpoint based on a single word in that headline without even reading the article, despite the article containing the exact figures they are arguing are not there.

That is either reckless, stupid, or plain trolling.

-Matt

Cambridge

Andy

-Matt

No, different viewpoints are very much welcome. Especially if they come attached to people to can debate those viewpoints effectively.

I'm referring to people who do things like try to argue their viewpoint based on a single word in that headline without even reading the article, despite the article containing the exact figures they are arguing are not there.

-Matt"

I agree, in multiple threads, including this one, I ask for evidence or proof to support people's claims, but they can never provide it. When I provide proof by way of links, they refuse to read them saying that they never look at links! Some people are willing to look at all the evidence, others prefer to keep their blinkers on.

Andy

-Matt

-Matt

I agree, in multiple threads, including this one, I ask for evidence or proof to support people's claims, but they can never provide it. When I provide proof by way of links, they refuse to read them saying that they never look at links! Some people are willing to look at all the evidence, others prefer to keep their blinkers on."

There are multiple different figures on EU student applications available from multiple different sources.

As a local Southampton person, I can tell you that there is no shortage of Asian applicants to our institutions here. That may, of course, be of no interest to you since you seem to be hell bent on proving that the exit from the EU can only result in pestilence and disaster.

Cambridge

Andy

-Matt

-Matt

I agree, in multiple threads, including this one, I ask for evidence or proof to support people's claims, but they can never provide it. When I provide proof by way of links, they refuse to read them saying that they never look at links! Some people are willing to look at all the evidence, others prefer to keep their blinkers on.

There are multiple different figures on EU student applications available from multiple different sources.

As a local Southampton person, I can tell you that there is no shortage of Asian applicants to our institutions here. That may, of course, be of no interest to you since you seem to be hell bent on proving that the exit from the EU can only result in pestilence and disaster."

So there are multiple figures and you give absolutely none of them! What is your assertion that there are "no shortage of Asian applicants to [your] institutions" based upon? Is it official statistics or just what you think from walking down the high street?

Andy

-Matt

-Matt

As a local Southampton person, I can tell you that there is no shortage of Asian applicants to our institutions here. That may, of course, be of no interest to you since you seem to be hell bent on proving that the exit from the EU can only result in pestilence and disaster.

So there are multiple figures and you give absolutely none of them! What is your assertion that there are "no shortage of Asian applicants to [your] institutions" based upon? Is it official statistics or just what you think from walking down the high street? "

You can Google as well as I.

My parther works for a university and therefore knows the intake. I use the university bus service frequently so am quite aware of the Asian student population. I live near the uni.

And you? Where does your knowledge come from?

Cambridge

"

My parther works for a university and therefore knows the intake. I use the university bus service frequently so am quite aware of the Asian student population. I live near the uni.

And you? Where does your knowledge come from? "

I have given it already with with specific statistic of a fall of 17% for EU students applying to Cambridge. But I'll give it to you again.

https://www.theguardian.com/education/2016/dec/08/brexit-could-see-eu-student-numbers-nose-dive-cambridge-warns?CMP=Share_AndroidApp_Facebook

You still haven't given one statistic to support your arguement. In case you had forgot, the topic in question is the negative impact of the referendum result on EU students applying to UK universities.

If you can provide me a link, or directions to a specific part of a website that counters my argument, and shows that there has been no negative impact on EU student applications since the referendum I would be very keen to read it.

If you cant find such evidence to support that arguement, then please be man enough to admit it.

"

I have given it already with with specific statistic of a fall of 17% for EU students applying to Cambridge. But I'll give it to you again.

You still haven't given one statistic to support your arguement. In case you had forgot, the topic in question is the negative impact of the referendum result on EU students applying to UK universities.

If you can provide me a link, or directions to a specific part of a website that counters my argument, and shows that there has been no negative impact on EU student applications since the referendum I would be very keen to read it.

If you cant find such evidence to support that arguement, then please be man enough to admit it."

Well, we don't rely on the EU here for our university intake. Instead of being insular, we look to the wider world. It is not all about Europe, you know.

And have you considered other possible reasons for the alleged fall in EU applicants? Like poverty? Greece and Italy are not doing well, are they? Why assume that it is all due to Brexit?

Barbados

"

"

I know that. My point was nothing to do with statistics or sources. My point was about someone arguing that a news article claims something without reading it.

"

As a local Southampton person, I can tell you that there is no shortage of Asian applicants to our institutions here. That may, of course, be of no interest to you since you seem to be hell bent on proving that the exit from the EU can only result in pestilence and disaster."

Last I checked Asia is not part of the EU, so whether the number of Asian students applying to universities is related in any way to the reported drop in EU students is perhaps a separate issue. Who knows, perhaps that the drop in EU students will someone mean more Asian students come here. I don't see how. Especially based on Theresa May's disasterous trip to India the other week.

-Matt

"

I know that. My point was nothing to do with statistics or sources. My point was about someone arguing that a news article claims something without reading it.

Last I checked Asia is not part of the EU, so whether the number of Asian students applying to universities is related in any way to the reported drop in EU students is perhaps a separate issue. Who knows, perhaps that the drop in EU students will someone mean more Asian students come here. I don't see how. Especially based on Theresa May's disasterous trip to India the other week.

-Matt"

And my point was that Europe is a small part of University intake. Look to the world, Cambridge.

Cambridge

"

If you cant find such evidence to support that arguement, then please be man enough to admit it.

Well, we don't rely on the EU here for our university intake. Instead of being insular, we look to the wider world. It is not all about Europe, you know.

And have you considered other possible reasons for the alleged fall in EU applicants? Like poverty? Greece and Italy are not doing well, are they? Why assume that it is all due to Brexit?"

Thats a shame, I thought you would either be able to find the stats to support your argument, or to man up and admit that you couldn’t.

Cambridge University is not insular, and doesn’t only get students from the EU, it gets students from all around the world, but please can you explain how less EU student applications is a good thing? Whats good about it?

If you are going to argue that the reason is because of the economics of Greece and Italy, great, interesting theory, but where is your data to back it up? Has there been a significant decrease in university applications in those countries? Is it just students from those countries that are no longer applying to Cambridge? Is that what the university is saying is the reason for the decrease?

"

And have you considered other possible reasons for the alleged fall in EU applicants? Like poverty? Greece and Italy are not doing well, are they? Why assume that it is all due to Brexit?

Thats a shame, I thought you would either be able to find the stats to support your argument, or to man up and admit that you couldn’t.

Cambridge University is not insular, and doesn’t only get students from the EU, it gets students from all around the world, but please can you explain how less EU student applications is a good thing? Whats good about it?

If you are going to argue that the reason is because of the economics of Greece and Italy, great, interesting theory, but where is your data to back it up? Has there been a significant decrease in university applications in those countries? Is it just students from those countries that are no longer applying to Cambridge? Is that what the university is saying is the reason for the decrease?"

And why do you think it is damaging to Cambridge?

It is a premier university and I am sure it can make any loss of numbers of EU applicants from elsewhere.

Like from our country or others around the world. It is not going to be short on applicants.

Any made up statistics in support of your position would be gratefully ignored.

Cambridge

"

Any made up statistics in support of your position would be gratefully ignored."

This really sums up so many who voted Brexit. No longer is there evidence based debate, experts, facts and statistics are ignored.

"

This really sums up so many who voted Brexit. No longer is there evidence based debate, experts, facts and statistics are ignored. "

You ignored the post.

Do you really think that Cambridge is going to suffer?

Post your statistics if you think Cambridge will not be able to fill it's vacancies.

Barbados

Aside from Brexit, I was wondering if actually the poor economy in Greece & Italy might in fact prompt more students from there to look to going to university in other EU countries. No idea if that is happening or not.

-Matt

"Aside from Brexit, I was wondering if actually the poor economy in Greece & Italy might in fact prompt more students from there to look to going to university in other EU countries. No idea if that is happening or not.

-Matt"

why are the economies poor there now?

Barbados

"

This really sums up so many who voted Brexit. No longer is there evidence based debate, experts, facts and statistics are ignored.

You ignored the post.

Post your statistics if you think Cambridge will not be able to fill it's vacancies."

A link to the article with stats of EU numbers dropping has already been posted. Statistics do not yet exist for future events. The very first paragraph of that article does state though:

"Cambridge University has said it faces significant risks from Britain’s exit from the EU, including an estimated two-thirds fall in the number of EU students it enrols each year."

So given that is what they'd said one might draw a conclusion that they might think it will affect them negatively. But that is only an educated guess looking at statistics and views of those concerned. I'm out of tea leaves to make a more exact prediction.

-Matt

By *otlovefun42Couple  over a year ago

Costa Blanca Spain...

"

This really sums up so many who voted Brexit. No longer is there evidence based debate, experts, facts and statistics are ignored. "

Experts = self appointed chancers.

Facts = Whatever the aforesaid self appointed chancers use to back up their bollocks.

Statistics = Mark Twain hit the nail on the head. Lies, damn lies, and statistics..

Next question.

Cambridge

"

Facts = Whatever the aforesaid self appointed chancers use to back up their bollocks.

Statistics = Mark Twain hit the nail on the head. Lies, damn lies, and statistics..

Next question."

Said like someone who has never been close to being an expert in anything their entire lives.

Barbados

"Aside from Brexit, I was wondering if actually the poor economy in Greece & Italy might in fact prompt more students from there to look to going to university in other EU countries. No idea if that is happening or not.

-Matt

why are the economies poor there now?"

No idea, sorry.

-Matt

Andy

-Matt"

So both you and CLCC think I am a troll and an idiot hmmmm thanks for that.

A tad harsh as neither of you know me, you have no idea on whether I voted out or remain for that matter no vote at all.

I am able to look at both arguments and can comment on both with an open mind unlike you Matt or you CLCC as both of you cannot accept anything that goes against your delight in anything that may harm the UK leaving the EU.

I stated earlier that the student influx has been going down steadily for years FACT look it up yourself.

I have read the article and yes Cambridge say student applications are down, but I would like to wait for the final figures.

Also in that same statement there where a lot of words like COULD, ESTIMATED,PRESUMED,ALMOST, lots of IF,S as well.

You are trying to lay this at the door of Brexit but deny the fact that there has abeen a steady decline for years.

As I also said earlier it is rare for me to comment on here and now it will be even more rare to non existant due to the narrow minded haters and abusers that people like you MATT and you CLCC have now become.

I am neither a troll nor an idiot and suggest you both look closer to home to see who the real trolls and idiots are.

Thank you both for your intelligent insight into a lot of topics posted on here.

Merry Christmas and a very happy new year.

Andy

Costa Blanca Spain...

I thought that most universities were located ABOVE takeaways.

Costa Blanca Spain...

"

Next question.

Said like someone who has never been close to being an expert in anything their entire lives."

Define "expert"

Costa Blanca Spain...

Andy

-Matt

A tad harsh as neither of you know me, you have no idea on whether I voted out or remain for that matter no vote at all.

I am able to look at both arguments and can comment on both with an open mind unlike you Matt or you CLCC as both of you cannot accept anything that goes against your delight in anything that may harm the UK leaving the EU.

I stated earlier that the student influx has been going down steadily for years FACT look it up yourself.

I have read the article and yes Cambridge say student applications are down, but I would like to wait for the final figures.

Also in that same statement there where a lot of words like COULD, ESTIMATED,PRESUMED,ALMOST, lots of IF,S as well.

You are trying to lay this at the door of Brexit but deny the fact that there has abeen a steady decline for years.

As I also said earlier it is rare for me to comment on here and now it will be even more rare to non existant due to the narrow minded haters and abusers that people like you MATT and you CLCC have now become.

I am neither a troll nor an idiot and suggest you both look closer to home to see who the real trolls and idiots are.

Thank you both for your intelligent insight into a lot of topics posted on here.

Andy

"

Yes. Merry Christmas Andy.

Keep up the good work.

We all know who the real trolls are.

"

You ignored the post.

Post your statistics if you think Cambridge will not be able to fill it's vacancies.

A link to the article with stats of EU numbers dropping has already been posted. Statistics do not yet exist for future events. The very first paragraph of that article does state though:

"Cambridge University has said it faces significant risks from Britain’s exit from the EU, including an estimated two-thirds fall in the number of EU students it enrols each year."

So given that is what they'd said one might draw a conclusion that they might think it will affect them negatively. But that is only an educated guess looking at statistics and views of those concerned. I'm out of tea leaves to make a more exact prediction.

-Matt"

I don't think you need tea leaves to predict that Cambridge University can fill any lack of EU candidates from elsewhere.

-Matt

No idea, sorry.

-Matt"

and you support the EU?

It's because of something called the Euro. The biggest con ever made

Costa Blanca Spain...

"

You ignored the post.

-Matt

I don't think you need tea leaves to predict that Cambridge University can fill any lack of EU candidates from elsewhere."

Yes. Spot on.

I very much doubt that Oxford or Cambridge will be struggling for candidates any time soon.

Costa Blanca Spain...

-Matt

No idea, sorry.

-Matt

and you support the EU?

It's because of something called the Euro. The biggest con ever made"

For once I disagree with you.

The Euro wasn't a con.

The Architects were too stupid to be con men.

bournemouth

Andy

-Matt

-Matt

I agree, in multiple threads, including this one, I ask for evidence or proof to support people's claims, but they can never provide it. When I provide proof by way of links, they refuse to read them saying that they never look at links! Some people are willing to look at all the evidence, others prefer to keep their blinkers on."

Yes we are still waiting for you to provide details of which of your beloved experts predicted the crash ?

Cambridge

"

Next question.

Said like someone who has never been close to being an expert in anything their entire lives.

Define "expert""

Well you defined it as self appointed chancers.

So like I said, you have probably never been anywhere close to being an expert in anything. Either that or you define yourself as a chancer.

Barbados

Andy

-Matt

Andy

"

To be frank, I don't care what you voted, it is irrelevant to my point. And I've not made any comment on what you've said other than to point out that in my view trying to argue that a single word in a headline means your point is correct despite the rest of the actual news article stating very clearly what you say it doesn't.

You stated above in response to a discussion on a news article:

"And as for a decline in EU student numbers the key word there is COULD so again a prediction."

To which CLCC replied:

"Then you might notice that there is no COULD, there HAS been a 17% drop."

Your response then was:

"Brexit could see EU student numbers nose dive, Cambridge warns

see the word could !!!!!!"

Yet the article itself *does* state very clearly that they have *already* seen a 17% drop. That is not a prediction. That is not an estimate. This is not the future. This has happened. That is the figure they have reported.

I then picked that up and responded, quite vigorously given I couldn't believe someone would argue black is white with the article right in front of them, to that saying that this was an example of how people who think that what the media says does not affect public opinion are wrong.

Rather than admitting you were wrong, you told me to 'take a chill pill'. To which I responded you are right and that I shouldn't respond to forum trolls or idiots. Given the statistics claimed in the article were right in front of you and you were denying they were in the article you are either an idiot, or more likely a troll.

-Matt

bournemouth

"

Define "expert""

Ex = has been

spert = dripunder pressure

Barbados

-Matt

No idea, sorry.

-Matt

and you support the EU?

It's because of something called the Euro. The biggest con ever made"

Yes, I support the UK being a part of the EU. I do not believe the UK should adopt the Euro.

-Matt

Costa Blanca Spain...

"

Next question.

Define "expert"

So like I said, you have probably never been anywhere close to being an expert in anything. Either that or you define yourself as a chancer. "

I could be defined as an "expert" in quite a few subjects. However I just hate the fucking word "expert"

25 years in my previous career up to senior management would in many peoples eyes make me an "Expert".

8 years on a sea fisheries committee would make some people say I am an "Expert" in that field

15 years in local politics (at the sharp end) would give me a qualification or two.

Turning a hobby into a successful 2nd business would give me a few brownie points as well.

AND YOU?

Costa Blanca Spain...

"

Define "expert"

Ex = has been

spert = dripunder pressure "

And the whole point of the thread?

That possibly the number of EU applicants to Cambridge University will be reduced.

And? There will be more applicants from this country and from the rest of the world.

So the problem is what?)

Costa Blanca Spain...

"And the whole point of the thread?

That possibly the number of EU applicants to Cambridge University will be reduced.

And? There will be more applicants from this country and from the rest of the world.

So the problem is what?)"

Exactly

Costa Blanca Spain...

The whole point of the thread is "look at me" I know better that the rest of you. I'm so more intelligent that you plebs.

Because I live in Cambridge.

My arse.

Cambridge

Its amazing how you guys consistently struggle with reading.

"The Russell Group of research-intensive universities told the committee that fewer EU students would not necessarily open more places for UK nationals.

“If the numbers of EU undergraduate and postgraduate students were to decrease as a result of the UK’s withdrawal from the EU, it is not necessarily the case that they could be replaced easily by UK nationals,” it said."

Cambridge

"

Next question.

Define "expert"

So like I said, you have probably never been anywhere close to being an expert in anything. Either that or you define yourself as a chancer.

I could be defined as an "expert" in quite a few subjects. However I just hate the fucking word "expert"

25 years in my previous career up to senior management would in many peoples eyes make me an "Expert".

8 years on a sea fisheries committee would make some people say I am an "Expert" in that field

15 years in local politics (at the sharp end) would give me a qualification or two.

Turning a hobby into a successful 2nd business would give me a few brownie points as well.

AND YOU?

"

Right, so now you’re claiming that you are indeed a “self appointed chancer”?

Costa Blanca Spain...

So the problem is what?)

"The Russell Group of research-intensive universities told the committee that fewer EU students would not necessarily open more places for UK nationals.

“If the numbers of EU undergraduate and postgraduate students were to decrease as a result of the UK’s withdrawal from the EU, it is not necessarily the case that they could be replaced easily by UK nationals,” it said."

"

It's amazing how you find the time to sit all day every day posting the same old, same old, bullshit on here.

Don't you have a job? or a life? or is this your job?

I read a while ago that Brussels was paying people to troll social media.

You are not one of them, are you?

Costa Blanca Spain...

"

Next question.

Define "expert"

AND YOU?

Right, so now you’re claiming that you are indeed a “self appointed chancer”? "

Huh!!!!???????

Is English your first language?

Cambridge

So the problem is what?)

It's amazing how you find the time to sit all day every day posting the same old, same old, bullshit on here.

"

Yeah, I got the Brussels gig writing pro-EU stuff, my wife got the Moscow contract posting Pro-Brext and Pro-Trump propaganda.

Costa Blanca Spain...

So the problem is what?)

Yeah, I got the Brussels gig writing pro-EU stuff, my wife got the Moscow contract posting Pro-Brext and Pro-Trump propaganda. "

Yep. The first bit adds up.

Funny how you appeared on the forum around the same time as a couple of very similar posters disappeared.

I wont name them but the regulars on here will know who I mean.

Cambridge

"

Next question.

Define "expert"

AND YOU?

Huh!!!!???????

"

Before you defined experts and self appointed chancers, then you said that you could be an expert, so you are calling yourself a self appointed chancer. Is that too complicated to follow? You know its strange, people now pay a lot for a good education, however when you were younger, not only was university free, but the government even gave you a grant to go. As you think that universities are above takeaways, I am assuming that you have never set foot inside one. Do you regret not going?

Cambridge

So the problem is what?)

Yeah, I got the Brussels gig writing pro-EU stuff, my wife got the Moscow contract posting Pro-Brext and Pro-Trump propaganda.

Funny how you appeared on the forum around the same time as a couple of very similar posters disappeared.

I wont name them but the regulars on here will know who I mean."

We’ve been swinging and on Fab and the fab forums since Jan 2015, we have only had one username, so it must be a coincidence that other people left around the same time we arrived.

Costa Blanca Spain...

So the problem is what?)

I wont name them but the regulars on here will know who I mean.

We’ve been swinging and on Fab and the fab forums since Jan 2015, we have only had one username, so it must be a coincidence that other people left around the same time we arrived."

If you say so.

By *bandjam91Couple  over a year ago

London

"

Next question."

Please tell this to the next doctor, engineer or pilot you meet. Take whatever view on politics you like but if you spout this while appreciating anything modern life has to offer you are a fool.

So the problem is what?)

"

I think I can just about manage to read.

I wonder if you can manage to comprehend.

Do you really think that our top university will have problems in attracting students?

Costa Blanca Spain...

"

Next question.

Define "expert"

AND YOU?

Huh!!!!???????

Before you defined experts and self appointed chancers, then you said that you could be an expert, so you are calling yourself a self appointed chancer. Is that too complicated to follow? You know its strange, people now pay a lot for a good education, however when you were younger, not only was university free, but the government even gave you a grant to go. As you think that universities are above takeaways, I am assuming that you have never set foot inside one. Do you regret not going?"

OOOOOH!!! We are getting all high and mighty aren't we?

Yes you are right. I missed university. Making lots of money got in the way of it.

But do yourself a favour. Don't judge a generation or decade that you were not a part of. It just makes you look really stupid.

As if you need any help in that.

Cambridge

So the problem is what?)

Do you really think that our top university will have problems in attracting students?"

Cambridge university are the ones who aren't happy about it. The only thing I am struggling to comprehend is why you think you know what's best for Cambridge university, rather than the university itself. They have been doing this for 800 years, I think they've managed fine so far without your input

Costa Blanca Spain...

So the problem is what?)

Do you really think that our top university will have problems in attracting students?

Cambridge university are the ones who aren't happy about it. The only thing I am struggling to comprehend is why you think you know what's best for Cambridge university, rather than the university itself. They have been doing this for 800 years, I think they've managed fine so far without your input "

Yep, and yours.

Cambridge

"

Next question.

Define "expert"

AND YOU?

Huh!!!!???????

Before you defined experts and self appointed chancers, then you said that you could be an expert, so you are calling yourself a self appointed chancer. Is that too complicated to follow? You know its strange, people now pay a lot for a good education, however when you were younger, not only was university free, but the government even gave you a grant to go. As you think that universities are above takeaways, I am assuming that you have never set foot inside one. Do you regret not going?

Yes you are right. I missed university. Making lots of money got in the way of it.

But do yourself a favour. Don't judge a generation or decade that you were not a part of. It just makes you look really stupid.

"

Right, but you making sweeping comments about millions of students doesn't make you look really stupid?

So the problem is what?)

Cambridge university are the ones who aren't happy about it. The only thing I am struggling to comprehend is why you think you know what's best for Cambridge university, rather than the university itself. They have been doing this for 800 years, I think they've managed fine so far without your input "

They don't require my input and I am pretty sure they don't require yours.

You were the one suggesting that Brexit was a problem for them.

If you can't perpetuate the argument it might be time to give up.

Costa Blanca Spain...

OK folks.

Mrs is back from her mothers. It's been a nice hour or two, but back to real life now.

Costa Blanca Spain...

"

Next question.

Define "expert"

AND YOU?

Huh!!!!???????

Right, but you making sweeping comments about millions of students doesn't make you look really stupid? "

I don't make sweeping comments.

I just take the piss out of you.

TTFN.

Cambridge

So the problem is what?)

Cambridge university are the ones who aren't happy about it. The only thing I am struggling to comprehend is why you think you know what's best for Cambridge university, rather than the university itself. They have been doing this for 800 years, I think they've managed fine so far without your input

If you can't perpetuate the argument it might be time to give up."

Your comprehension really needs some work. I'M not the one saying its an issue THEY are saying its an issue!!!

Op, have ynu ever considered that the numbers are down because of the shit state of the economy in the Euro/Eu zone? There are millions who can't afford a pair of trainers nevermind an education

Cambridge

"Op, have ynu ever considered that the numbers are down because of the shit state of the economy in the Euro/Eu zone? There are millions who can't afford a pair of trainers nevermind an education"

As I said before, interesting theory, back it up with some data and we'll thrash it out as an idea.

So the problem is what?)

If you can't perpetuate the argument it might be time to give up.

Your comprehension really needs some work. I'M not the one saying its an issue THEY are saying its an issue!!!"

I really don't think that Cambridge University will have problems attracting entrants.

No, my comprehension requires no work.

"Op, have ynu ever considered that the numbers are down because of the shit state of the economy in the Euro/Eu zone? There are millions who can't afford a pair of trainers nevermind an education

As I said before, interesting theory, back it up with some data and we'll thrash it out as an idea. "

look at unemployment figures man. Explain it

Cambridge

"Op, have ynu ever considered that the numbers are down because of the shit state of the economy in the Euro/Eu zone? There are millions who can't afford a pair of trainers nevermind an education

As I said before, interesting theory, back it up with some data and we'll thrash it out as an idea.

look at unemployment figures man. Explain it"

Sorry, I thought you wanted to talk about student numbers, then when I ask for data, you change the subject

Cambridge

"

Your comprehension really needs some work. I'M not the one saying its an issue THEY are saying its an issue!!!

I really don't think that Cambridge University will have problems attracting entrants.

No, my comprehension requires no work."

Attracting students is just one of the difficulties placed on the university by Brexit, others being recruiting the best staff, and securing research funding. All said during the campaign, and all repeated again now. These warning came from experts like professor Hawking. Do you think he knows what he is talking about when it comes to academia, or would you describe him as a self appointed chancer as others have?

bournemouth

"

Attracting students is just one of the difficulties placed on the university by Brexit, others being recruiting the best staff, and securing research funding. All said during the campaign, and all repeated again now. These warning came from experts like professor Hawking. Do you think he knows what he is talking about when it comes to academia, or would you describe him as a self appointed chancer as others have?"

Research funding will go to the best unis and so will the best students and as has been pointed out to you before not one eu uni is in the top 25, also quality of students is more important than numbers,IIRC government funding has been guaranteed has it not ?

Cambridge

"

Attracting students is just one of the difficulties placed on the university by Brexit, others being recruiting the best staff, and securing research funding. All said during the campaign, and all repeated again now. These warning came from experts like professor Hawking. Do you think he knows what he is talking about when it comes to academia, or would you describe him as a self appointed chancer as others have?

Research funding will go to the best unis and so will the best students and as has been pointed out to you before not one eu uni is in the top 25, also quality of students is more important than numbers,IIRC government funding has been guaranteed has it not ? "

There are British unis in the top 25 and we are still in the EU, you also have a swiss uni where we currently have free movement, but may not in the future. In the top 50 you have unis from Germany, Sen, Austria, Belgium and the Netherlands.

The government have comitted to a minuscule 12 months of funding, that's it.

Sorry, I thought you wanted to talk about student numbers, then when I ask for data, you change the subject "

for goodness sake, do you not see the connection? Do you not understand that for each year that the EU/Eurozone struggles it is going to be harder and harder for the children to be able to afford to travel abroad to study? What a narrow mimded simplistic world you live in

Cambridge

Sorry, I thought you wanted to talk about student numbers, then when I ask for data, you change the subject

for goodness sake, do you not see the connection? Do you not understand that for each year that the EU/Eurozone struggles it is going to be harder and harder for the children to be able to afford to travel abroad to study? What a narrow mimded simplistic world you live in"

If it's so obvious, you should be able provide the data to support your arguement. It's not norrow minded or simplistic to ask for proof.

for goodness sake, do you not see the connection? Do you not understand that for each year that the EU/Eurozone struggles it is going to be harder and harder for the children to be able to afford to travel abroad to study? What a narrow mimded simplistic world you live in

If it's so obvious, you should be able provide the data to support your arguement. It's not norrow minded or simplistic to ask for proof."

you want proof of unemployment figures? Thats easy for you to find.

Now having said that, it has just been pointed out to me in a private message by someone who couldn't mail you or post here that the number of applications has no bearing on the numbers of EU kids that will be attending uni here and to cut it short could be a good thing. Now seeing as you are so keen on data can you supply the numbers who are actually IN uni this year compared to last? And the same for next year?

Cambridge

If it's so obvious, you should be able provide the data to support your arguement. It's not norrow minded or simplistic to ask for proof.

Now having said that, it has just been pointed out to me in a private message by someone who couldn't mail you or post here that the number of applications has no bearing on the numbers of EU kids that will be attending uni here and to cut it short could be a good thing. Now seeing as you are so keen on data can you supply the numbers who are actually IN uni this year compared to last? And the same for next year?"

No I dont want unemployment numbers, your assertion is that the number of EU student applications is down at Cambridge because the people in Europe are too poor to afford university. So prove it with data about university applications in the EU. Unemployment figures are completely unconnected to student numbers.

Its your arguement, your assertion, so the burden is on you to support it with evidence.

“The impact of the loss of EU research funding on the research productivity of the UK’s universities will be substantial, especially given that Imperial wins more than its pro-rata fair share of research funding,” it said."

Well I guess it will save us some money then, since many student loans given to EU students go unpaid

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3603918/Missing-EU-graduates-owe-89m-loans-12-000-students-disappeared-abroad-taking-degree-British-university.html

For those with a hatred of the Mail

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-22500989

Tho I'm not so sure that a drop in Student numbers wouldn't be a good thing "

You mean that we the British tax payers should fill in the shortfall I presume - as they should reimburse the farmers who will lose their funding etc

whether you voted remain or leave is now irrelevant we are in a situation and we need to make it work the best it can

By *andS66Couple  over a year ago

Derby

Andy

-Matt

-Matt

Says the person who on many occasions has said "you can google things yourself".

Derby

Of course, the issue is not one of application numbers per se, it only becomes an issue when university places are unable to be filled.

Does the report say that the drop in applications means that university places will be undersubscribed? That there will be empty places?

Or does it go on further to say that, despite the 17% fall in EU applicants, overall applications have actually increased?

Barbados

“The impact of the loss of EU research funding on the research productivity of the UK’s universities will be substantial, especially given that Imperial wins more than its pro-rata fair share of research funding,” it said.

Of course, the issue is not one of application numbers per se, it only becomes an issue when university places are unable to be filled.

Does the report say that the drop in applications means that university places will be undersubscribed? That there will be empty places?

Or does it go on further to say that, despite the 17% fall in EU applicants, overall applications have actually increased?

"

Really? At least take a few minutes to read the thread. Failing that, the actual article.

The link is posted above several times.

In fact the actual paragraph from the article saying that the EU vacancies won't necessarily be filled by others is above too.

-Matt

bournemouth

"

Research funding will go to the best unis and so will the best students and as has been pointed out to you before not one eu uni is in the top 25, also quality of students is more important than numbers,IIRC government funding has been guaranteed has it not ?

There are British unis in the top 25 and we are still in the EU, you also have a swiss uni where we currently have free movement, but may not in the future. In the top 50 you have unis from Germany, Sen, Austria, Belgium and the Netherlands.

The government have comitted to a minuscule 12 months of funding, that's it. "

The government has committed to fund any project that has begun before we leave and I'm not sure what the fact that we are currently in the EU has to do with the point that no other eu countries have unis in the top 25. Out unis are among the very best in the world and as you have said that before that you believe research and development is the future why would the government cut funding, after all any eu money that the unis get is "our" money that has returned anyway

By *tillup4funMan  over a year ago

Wakefield

"

The government have comitted to a minuscule 12 months of funding, that's it.

The government has committed to fund any project that has begun before we leave and I'm not sure what the fact that we are currently in the EU has to do with the point that no other eu countries have unis in the top 25. Out unis are among the very best in the world and as you have said that before that you believe research and development is the future why would the government cut funding, after all any eu money that the unis get is "our" money that has returned anyway "

Now having said that, it has just been pointed out to me in a private message by someone who couldn't mail you or post here that the number of applications has no bearing on the numbers of EU kids that will be attending uni here and to cut it short could be a good thing. Now seeing as you are so keen on data can you supply the numbers who are actually IN uni this year compared to last? And the same for next year?

No I dont want unemployment numbers, your assertion is that the number of EU student applications is down at Cambridge because the people in Europe are too poor to afford university. So prove it with data about university applications in the EU. Unemployment figures are completely unconnected to student numbers.

Its your arguement, your assertion, so the burden is on you to support it with evidence."

And it is your assertion that European unemployment figures are unconnected to the number of EU applicants to British universities.

It seems like common sense to me.

You do understand the source of reports, don't you? That they are written by individuals with an intention in mind?

Derby

Really? At least take a few minutes to read the thread. Failing that, the actual article.

The link is posted above several times.

In fact the actual paragraph from the article saying that the EU vacancies won't necessarily be filled by others is above too.

-Matt"

And this from a report in the Guardian, with direct quotes from Cambridge and Oxford Universities.

The number of EU students applying for places on some of the most sought-after courses in the UK’s leading universities has dropped, according to Ucas, which administers university entry.

The data published relates to applications for all courses at Oxford and Cambridge universities, as well as applications for medicine, dentistry and veterinary courses elsewhere, beginning in September 2017.

Nicola Dandridge, chief executive of Universities UK, said the full picture would only become clear after the main January deadline, which usually makes up 90% of total applications. But she linked the decline in applications to uncertainty over government financial support for EU students. “This fall does, however, highlight the importance of ensuring that prospective European applicants are made fully aware of the fees and financial support arrangements well in advance of the applications window,” she said.

“The Ucas process for accepting applications for 2017 opened on 6 September but the government guarantee on fees and financial support for EU students for 2017 entry was not provided until 11 October, only days before the October deadline. To avoid future uncertainty, we need the government to extend these transitional arrangements now for EU students considering applying for courses starting in 2018. These prospective European students will soon be starting to consider whether to apply to study at British universities.”

Just days before applications closed , the government finally issued a statement reassuring EU students hoping to begin their studies next year that they would continue to be entitled to the same terms and conditions as home students, with £9,000 fees and access to the student loan book for the duration of their studies.

Many in the sector complained the intervention was too late and are now urging the government to eliminate future uncertainty for potential students from Europe by extending the offer further.

The decline brings to an end the recent trend for increasing numbers of EU applications to UK universities. Numbers applying for courses governed by the 15 October deadline have dropped by 620 to a total of 6,240 – reversing an 8% increase at the same point last year and a return to 2015 levels.

Contrary to the overall trend, Oxford University said it had seen a 1% increase in applications from EU students and a 4% increase overall to more than 20,000 for 2017 entry, with international applications up too. A spokesperson said: “While there has been understandable uncertainty around the implications of the UK’s exit from the EU, we are confident that students from the EU continue to see Oxford as a welcoming and attractive option for undergraduate study.”

Cambridge University reported a decline in applications from EU students, down from 2,652 last year to 2,277 this year, in the context of an overall increase in applications to 16,875.

A university spokesperson said: “We are disappointed to see a reduction in EU undergraduate application numbers on last year, which reflects the considerable uncertainty felt by these students due to the EU referendum. But we still received more applications from the EU this year than we did in 2012, and Cambridge remains an attractive place for EU students to study.”

The total number of applicants for places in this round of applications has gone up 1% since last year, with figures for international students holding up, despite uncertainty about future visa arrangements and warnings from the Home Office of a clampdown

Cambridge

Its your arguement, your assertion, so the burden is on you to support it with evidence.

And it is your assertion that European unemployment figures are unconnected to the number of EU applicants to British universities.

It seems like common sense to me.

You do understand the source of reports, don't you? That they are written by individuals with an intention in mind? "

Right, this is how the scientific process works. You have an idea, that is common sense to you, this is called a theory. Then you research and find the evidence. Then you evaluate and see if the evidence supports or disproves your theory.

So why don't you provide some evidence for your theory?

Barbados

Well, if Rudd goes ahead with her plan here to reduce student visa numbers to nearly half current levels, that is also going to have an effect:

https://www.theguardian.com/education/2016/dec/12/uk-halve-international-student-visa-tougher-rules

"International students bring more than £10.7bn to the UK economy, according to Universities UK, the vice-chancellors’ umbrella group." -- for those of you that can only think in terms of fish and chips.

-Matt

That may be because half the number of student visas given out at the moment don't go to students

"Well, if Rudd goes ahead with her plan here to reduce student visa numbers to nearly half current levels, that is also going to have an effect:

https://www.theguardian.com/education/2016/dec/12/uk-halve-international-student-visa-tougher-rules

"International students bring more than £10.7bn to the UK economy, according to Universities UK, the vice-chancellors’ umbrella group." -- for those of you that can only think in terms of fish and chips.

-Matt"

No, seriously, we have some excellent kebab houses, curry houses and pizza places. It is not all negative.

Cambridge

"Well, if Rudd goes ahead with her plan here to reduce student visa numbers to nearly half current levels, that is also going to have an effect:

-Matt

No, seriously, we have some excellent kebab houses, curry houses and pizza places. It is not all negative."

We won't have great takeaways if we get rid of all the foreigners though will we!

[Removed by poster at 13/12/16 14:31:46]

Since brexit many are going abroad for their education, because the offers are more attractive in the eu.

-Matt

No, seriously, we have some excellent kebab houses, curry houses and pizza places. It is not all negative.

We won't have great takeaways if we get rid of all the foreigners though will we!"

Shag, I don't give a fook how many "foreigners" are here. I prefer diversity.

I was just questioning the value of students to the local economy.

We do have an issue here in Southampton. Development sites are used for student housing. There is little left for local residents. The balance is wrong.

So the man in the street cant rent these properties as well, its students only ??

What happens to all the empty properties when the students leave for half term

"So the man in the street cant rent these properties as well, its students only ??

What happens to all the empty properties when the students leave for half term "

No, the man in the street can't.

In the last two years, we have the Fag Butt, new accommodation in the centre and the old B and Q site and the Portswood flats being built.

They are exclusively student accommodation.

Cambridge

"

We do have an issue here in Southampton. Development sites are used for student housing. There is little left for local residents. The balance is wrong. "

Just had a look on the university website:

"2012/13 the University supported more than £2 billion GVA in the UK and more than 26,540 jobs. Of this, £1billion and over 16,300 jobs were in the region; and in Southampton £729 million and 11,700 jobs."

Didn't you say that your wife had one of those jobs?

"

We do have an issue here in Southampton. Development sites are used for student housing. There is little left for local residents. The balance is wrong.

"2012/13 the University supported more than £2 billion GVA in the UK and more than 26,540 jobs. Of this, £1billion and over 16,300 jobs were in the region; and in Southampton £729 million and 11,700 jobs."

Didn't you say that your wife had one of those jobs? "

I am not married. Of course, (both) universities contribute to the local economy by virtue of employment, but often at the expense of the locals. It is not always about how much but sometimes about to whom.

P.S. I have been campaigning for some time now to get the fooking eye-sore in my locality demolished. It is a high-rise. Covered in netting due to a crumbling concrete facade, for over 10 years. Owned by the university. Any joy? Nope. Yet the university continues to build new university accommodation all round the city.

-Matt

We won't have great takeaways if we get rid of all the foreigners though will we!

Shag, I don't give a fook how many "foreigners" are here. I prefer diversity."

Where did I mention foreigners?.

Cambridge

"

I am not married. Of course, (both) universities contribute to the local economy by virtue of employment, but often at the expense of the locals. It is not always about how much but sometimes about to whom.

P.S. I have been campaigning for some time now to get the fooking eye-sore in my locality demolished. It is a high-rise. Covered in netting due to a crumbling concrete facade, for over 10 years. Owned by the university. Any joy? Nope. Yet the university continues to build new university accommodation all round the city."

Sorry, so did you say that your partner works there? So you dont care about the £billions they put into the economy, or the tens of thousands of people they employ, because they are employing the wrong people?

Who are the wrong people that they shouldn't employ, and who are the right people they should employ?

"

P.S. I have been campaigning for some time now to get the fooking eye-sore in my locality demolished. It is a high-rise. Covered in netting due to a crumbling concrete facade, for over 10 years. Owned by the university. Any joy? Nope. Yet the university continues to build new university accommodation all round the city.

Sorry, so did you say that your partner works there? So you dont care about the £billions they put into the economy, or the tens of thousands of people they employ, because they are employing the wrong people?

Who are the wrong people that they shouldn't employ, and who are the right people they should employ? "

Putting money into the economy is a good thing, but not per se. Local people need accommodation, too. And I am afraid that building yet more student housing in Southampton at the expense of accommodation for locals does little to stimulate the environment or businesses around them.

"

Who are the wrong people that they shouldn't employ, and who are the right people they should employ? "

are you worried that you might have to get a job?

Cambridge

"

Who are the wrong people that they shouldn't employ, and who are the right people they should employ?

Putting money into the economy is a good thing, but not per se. Local people need accommodation, too. And I am afraid that building yet more student housing in Southampton at the expense of accommodation for locals does little to stimulate the environment or businesses around them."

So the university has invested money in building accommodation for students, if the university didn't build accommodation for students, it wouldn't build accommodation for locals instead would it, so your logic is flawed.

"

Putting money into the economy is a good thing, but not per se. Local people need accommodation, too. And I am afraid that building yet more student housing in Southampton at the expense of accommodation for locals does little to stimulate the environment or businesses around them.

So the university has invested money in building accommodation for students, if the university didn't build accommodation for students, it wouldn't build accommodation for locals instead would it, so your logic is flawed."

Now, that is very strange logic indeed. No, the Universities would not build accommodation for locals. Other companies and individuals would.

Babbacombe Torquay

-Matt

We do have an issue here in Southampton. Development sites are used for student housing. There is little left for local residents. The balance is wrong. "

Same in just about every university town or city, student accommodation is where landlords make their real money.

Exeter bucks the trend on that though with major housing developments going up on the outskirts of the city rather than in the centre, where the students tend to prefer to rent.

But the money the students bring onto the city is significant, particularly the overseas students from mainland China, who seem to come here minted.

Cambridge

"

So the university has invested money in building accommodation for students, if the university didn't build accommodation for students, it wouldn't build accommodation for locals instead would it, so your logic is flawed.

Now, that is very strange logic indeed. No, the Universities would not build accommodation for locals. Other companies and individuals would."

And so what's stopping them?

"

Now, that is very strange logic indeed. No, the Universities would not build accommodation for locals. Other companies and individuals would.

And so what's stopping them? "

Barbados

"So the man in the street cant rent these properties as well, its students only ??

What happens to all the empty properties when the students leave for half term

No, the man in the street can't.

In the last two years, we have the Fag Butt, new accommodation in the centre and the old B and Q site and the Portswood flats being built.

They are exclusively student accommodation."

It is similar in Bristol. Basically a massive rise in commercial student housing arrangements that was brought about by investors and developers realising that they could turn out-of-use city central buildings into modern student accommodation which in most cases exceeds the facilities and capacity of the University-owned student accommodation.

I'd say this is nothing specific to foreign students, and that it is common across all student population.

In a lot of cases it is bringing investment and rejuivnation into areas of the city that can be a bit dead once everyone goes home from work at the end of the day.

-Matt

"

And so what's stopping them? "

The fact that we have a shit planning policy.

Babbacombe Torquay

Local planning is often in the hands of the wrong people, old duffers who live in the past.....

Cambridge

"Local planning is often in the hands of the wrong people, old duffers who live in the past....."

But why blame a university that brings in billions and employs thousands, even their own partner, for a shit planning policy at the local council?

Babbacombe Torquay

"Local planning is often in the hands of the wrong people, old duffers who live in the past.....

But why blame a university that brings in billions and employs thousands, even their own partner, for a shit planning policy at the local council? "

Because some people can't see the obvious when it is staring them in the face......students bring in plenty of money into the local economies, anyone who argues against that fact is arguing for the sake of it.....or don't understand simple economics.

"Local planning is often in the hands of the wrong people, old duffers who live in the past.....

But why blame a university that brings in billions and employs thousands, even their own partner, for a shit planning policy at the local council?

Because some people can't see the obvious when it is staring them in the face......students bring in plenty of money into the local economies, anyone who argues against that fact is arguing for the sake of it.....or don't understand simple economics."

Is there anything simple about economics?

And my arguments stem from what I see happening in my locality.

Babbacombe Torquay

So are you saying no that Students are not net contributors to the Economy of Southampton?

They pay rents, they eat food, they drink in pubs, they buy stationary and books in local shops, they buy clothing in local shops.....that makes them net contributors.

Cambridge

"So are you saying no that Students are not net contributors to the Economy of Southampton?

They pay rents, they eat food, they drink in pubs, they buy stationary and books in local shops, they buy clothing in local shops.....that makes them net contributors."

Plus all the people that work at the university, the teaching staff, the administrators, HR, Facilities, Finance, Security, Housing, Cleaners, pastoral care, chefs, shop staff, bar staff etc. As mentioned in the stats above, 25,000+ employees

Babbacombe Torquay

Students also fill the various part time jobs in Exeter, there isn't a coffee shop or pub/bar in Exeter that could manage without student workers, I tend not to employ students personally though as I don't find them as reliable as other part time workers I have.

But with a coffee shop of our own on the horizon for 2017 that may have to change, I'll leave my wife to handle that potential headache.

"So are you saying no that Students are not net contributors to the Economy of Southampton?

They pay rents, they eat food, they drink in pubs, they buy stationary and books in local shops, they buy clothing in local shops.....that makes them net contributors."

I understand the philosophy. But it doesn't seem to translate into a reality.

Babbacombe Torquay

They pay rents, they eat food, they drink in pubs, they buy stationary and books in local shops, they buy clothing in local shops.....that makes them net contributors.

I understand the philosophy. But it doesn't seem to translate into a reality."

But it does......you just can't see it.

Barbados

I understand the philosophy. But it doesn't seem to translate into a reality."

It. Is. Not. A. Philosophy.

-Matt

But it does......you just can't see it."

Ah, OK then. I'll just continue looking at these shitty takeaways and thinking otherwise.

I feel educated and happy now.

Barbados

Ah, OK then. I'll just continue looking at these shitty takeaways and thinking otherwise.

I feel educated and happy now."

Just remember to close your eyes when a student or group of students leaves the takeaway. They might be going somewhere else to spend some money, and if you are not careful you might accidentally see that :p

-Matt

Just remember to close your eyes when a student or group of students leaves the takeaway. They might be going somewhere else to spend some money, and if you are not careful you might accidentally see that :p

-Matt"

It doesn't stop me looking at the run down locality, I am afraid.

Babbacombe Torquay

-Matt"

And they've probably been to the local pub or bar before they went to that takeaway......all going into the local economy....

Barbados

-Matt

It doesn't stop me looking at the run down locality, I am afraid."

How about get some more students there, and maybe not just a takeaway, but there might be a cafe, a laundrette, a pub etc etc?

Why do you believe that getting rid of the students would make that locality less run down?

-Matt

-Matt

How about get some more students there, and maybe not just a takeaway, but there might be a cafe, a laundrette, a pub etc etc?

Why do you believe that getting rid of the students would make that locality less run down?

-Matt"

I think that a balance might be more beneficial.

Do you think that might be a bad thing?

Babbacombe Torquay

If local HMO accommodation is driven mainly by student tenants then there is very little that can be done to change that fact.

HMO's around all universities are like this, not only in this country but all over major European cities.

Barbados

-Matt

-Matt

Do you think that might be a bad thing?"

A balance is generally a good thing in most things in life. You were saying that students were not a net contributor to the economy in the area. Even calling the basic economics of it a 'philosophy'. So, let's say we want more balance then. You think that for whatever reason there are too many students there. That doesn't change the fact that they are a net economic contributor to the area. So lets say you move them out to replace them... what do you put in their place? You want to regenerate the run down locality. Or at least not look at it. You've removed the students... you now have less economic activity in the area. What are you going to put in it's place?

-Matt

Cambridge

-Matt

-Matt

A balance is generally a good thing in most things in life. You were saying that students were not a net contributor to the economy in the area. Even calling the basic economics of it a 'philosophy'. So, let's say we want more balance then. You think that for whatever reason there are too many students there. That doesn't change the fact that they are a net economic contributor to the area. So lets say you move them out to replace them... what do you put in their place? You want to regenerate the run down locality. Or at least not look at it. You've removed the students... you now have less economic activity in the area. What are you going to put in it's place?

-Matt"

Don't forget you would have 11,700 unemployed people in the town and £730m less in the economy.

-Matt

-Matt

-Matt"

We have many people wanting to live here. People with jobs who cannot afford to live here because there is no accommodation. Every development site going gets developed for student accommodation. And the areas around them are shit. Time for a rethink, perhaps?

Barbados

-Matt

-Matt

-Matt

We have many people wanting to live here. People with jobs who cannot afford to live here because there is no accommodation. Every development site going gets developed for student accommodation. And the areas around them are shit. Time for a rethink, perhaps?"

OK, I still don't see how getting rid of the students there will fix that. I don't know the specific run down area you are talking about, but are you telling me that despite it being too run down for you to want to look at, there are no development opportunities there to put the 'right' people in -- whomever they are in your mind?

-Matt

what do you expect???

brexit was a no to european integration. they feel unwelcome. our brilliant education system will also be largely impacted by brexit more than people realize particularly in research

By *ubble troubleCouple  over a year ago

Manchester

[Removed by poster at 23/12/16 22:30:49]

By *ubble troubleCouple  over a year ago

Manchester

Looks like our Hampshire forumistas are not great fans of students!

Cambridge

"Looks like our Hampshire forumistas are not great fans of students!"

Even though one half of the couple work at the university!

"Looks like our Hampshire forumistas are not great fans of students!

Even though one half of the couple work at the university! "

A city requires balance to prosper. In Southampton, we are lacking that. Is that a bad thing to say?

» Add a new message to this topic