FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > Politics > Show your passport to vote

Show your passport to vote

Jump to: Newest in thread

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

Plans to demand proof of identity before voting in a bid to combat electoral fraud have been defended by ministers, amid criticism the move is a "sledgehammer to crack a nut".

Councils in england, including bradford and birmingham, will trial the pilot scheme at local elections in 2018.

What do you think of it and is it a good idea and what about those who cant afford a passport? I wonder how they can justify it as it will hit the poorest the most.

Reply privately (thread closed by moderator)

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

They may try to roll out the dreaded ID card again for those who don't own a passport.

By *or Fox SakeCouple  over a year ago

Thornaby

"Plans to demand proof of identity before voting in a bid to combat electoral fraud have been defended by ministers, amid criticism the move is a "sledgehammer to crack a nut".

Councils in england, including bradford and birmingham, will trial the pilot scheme at local elections in 2018.

What do you think of it and is it a good idea and what about those who cant afford a passport? I wonder how they can justify it as it will hit the poorest the most."

Apart from you have said being factually wrong on every level, you make an interesting point.

I am not a great fan of this , it smacks of identity cards . Though I have canvassed in certain areas in the UK and parties have an unfeasible amount of proxi votes .

Community leaders have signed up whole streets to proxi votes. So many they have difficulty in finding people to stand as the proxi .

Also in my local area the blue party have signed up friendly nursing homes upto proxi votes

By *alandNitaCouple  over a year ago

Scunthorpe

Personally, I've never minded the idea of an ID card, as long as I don't have to pay for it.

I also approve of honesty in elections so happy to show ID. How will they verify the postal/proxy votes?

Cal

By *ikeC81Man  over a year ago

harrow

What's wrong with ID cards, i am for them

It comes after how lutfur rahman won the tower hamlet election, by intimidation in the muslim community, he have since been removed from his position.

By *ilary and DonaldCouple  over a year ago

chingford

"They may try to roll out the dreaded ID card again for those who don't own a passport."

It is also proposed that you could also use a driving licence.

I don't agree with the proposal .....

We need to encourage more people to vote rather than put obstacles in the way of those in need of intensification ......

By *iewMan  over a year ago
Forum Mod

Angus & Findhorn

Happy to show any ID requested

I have no problem with this.

I'd prefer more effort and investment was placed into developing methods of consulting, debating and voting that fit the 21st century.

Moving parliament out of London would be a start.

By *or Fox SakeCouple  over a year ago

Thornaby

"I don't agree with the proposal .....

We need to encourage more people to vote rather than put obstacles in the way of those in need of intensification ...... "

Yes vote once, not multiple times.

By *anes HubbyCouple  over a year ago

Babbacombe Torquay

"It comes after how lutfur rahman won the tower hamlet election, by intimidation in the muslim community, he have since been removed from his position."

I knew you would get round to the Muslim subject....I do have to ask why as a Swedish citizen you bother living here if things are that bad.....

By *iamondjoeMan  over a year ago

Glastonbury

"I don't agree with the proposal .....

We need to encourage more people to vote rather than put obstacles in the way of those in need of intensification ......

Yes vote once, not multiple times. "

Vote early, vote often

By *iamondjoeMan  over a year ago

Glastonbury

"It comes after how lutfur rahman won the tower hamlet election, by intimidation in the muslim community, he have since been removed from his position.

I knew you would get round to the Muslim subject....I do have to ask why as a Swedish citizen you bother living here if things are that bad....."

Huzzah!

Didn't they say they could show a utility bill too?

I've no problem with ID cards as long as they are made cheap as chips for people to afford. Having lived abroad for many years where you couldn't get into a bar without ID I seriously don't see the problem.

"It comes after how lutfur rahman won the tower hamlet election, by intimidation in the muslim community, he have since been removed from his position.

I knew you would get round to the Muslim subject....I do have to ask why as a Swedish citizen you bother living here if things are that bad....."

What's being Swedish got to do with the topic?

How would that make a difference if people are forced to vote by proxy?

I'm easily confused.

Are people stealing voting forms and pretending to be that person?

"Plans to demand proof of identity before voting in a bid to combat electoral fraud have been defended by ministers, amid criticism the move is a "sledgehammer to crack a nut".

What do you think of it and is it a good idea and what about those who cant afford a passport? I wonder how they can justify it as it will hit the poorest the most."

i think you should show some identification at any doc hospital or vote should be no proxy at all

By *uzy444Woman  over a year ago

in the suffolk countryside

i dont vote, its a farce..so i dont care

By *osieWoman  over a year ago

Wembley

Well, what if they don't have a:

Passport

Driving licence

Birth certificate

Council tax bill

Council housing statement

Electricity bill

Gas bill

Water charges

Cellphone bill

Landline bill

Birth certificate

Benefit statement

Bank account

Post office account

Credit card statement

Or even, a death certificate

Someone please think of the children

[ stands in corner wringing hands and hugging trees ]

By *heladyandthelibertineCouple  over a year ago

Reading

I have always found it quite strange that I can walk into my local polling station without even a polling card to verify who I am, and vote on the future of my country.

Wembley

I knew you would get round to the Muslim subject....I do have to ask why as a Swedish citizen you bother living here if things are that bad.....

What's being Swedish got to do with the topic?

"

It is colder there

If they have a cellphone bill they're up to no good.

It was on the news, because of that reason.

By *ikeC81Man  over a year ago

harrow

Shags doesn't live in tower hamlets and I was actually about to say the same thing

Shags doesn't live in tower hamlets and I was actually about to say the same thing

"

As I said, it was on the news, hence the reason they introduced it.

By *oi_LucyCouple  over a year ago

Barbados

"Well, what if they don't have a:

Passport

Driving licence

Birth certificate

Council tax bill

Electricity bill

Gas bill

Water charges

Cellphone bill

Landline bill

Birth certificate

Benefit statement

Bank account

Post office account

Credit card statement

[ stands in corner wringing hands and hugging trees ]"

This has been done to death on the other thread on this forum.

So you accept all those forms of ID? You now think that you have increased the security of the process? Really?

I won't even bother to bring up the issue of how that helps prevent postal vote fraud.

-Matt

There's a much larger thread on this topic.

The key point for me being that not everyone has the requisote ID and that the figures of polling fraud seem very low. Negligible really.

So we're in grave danger of disenfranchising more people than there is actually a problem about!

Wembley

"Well, what if they don't have a:

Passport

Driving licence

Birth certificate

Council tax bill

Electricity bill

Gas bill

Water charges

Cellphone bill

Landline bill

Birth certificate

Benefit statement

Bank account

Post office account

Credit card statement

[ stands in corner wringing hands and hugging trees ]

This has been done to death on the other thread on this forum.

So you accept all those forms of ID? You now think that you have increased the security of the process? Really?

I won't even bother to bring up the issue of how that helps prevent postal vote fraud.

-Matt"

Don't then; and then neither will I

And how do we stop proxy vote fraud?

"

-Matt"

Please do, I'm interested to know.

Also interested in why presenting ID would not help ensure proper process...

"that the figures of polling fraud seem very low. Negligible really.

"

How can this be known?

By *icecouple561Couple  over a year ago
Forum Mod

East Sussex

https://www.fabswingers.com/forum/politics/586278

thread already running here so I'll close this one.