FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > Politics > Health Care for Brits Abroad

Health Care for Brits Abroad

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *LCC OP   Couple  over a year ago

Cambridge

After we leave the EU, should the NHS fund Brits still living in the EU? Many people talk about me leaving the EU will allow us to treat all countries equally. The NHS wouldn't cover your health care in the U.S. or Australia or Thailand, so why should they in Spain after we leave?

"Hundreds of thousands of elderly Britons living in Europe may be forced to return to the UK unless the government guarantees that their healthcare continues to be reimbursed by the NHS, campaigners for British people settled in Spain and France have warned.

The House of Commons Brexit select committee was told on Wednesday that an unintended consequence of Brexit could be an surge in immigration of British migrants both working and retired.

Groups campaigning for the rights of Britons settled in Europe told the committee that many pensioners in countries like Spain and France would not be able to afford private health insurance if the current NHS overseas was jettisoned post Brexit.

“They may have no alternative but to come back,” said Sue Wilson, one of the founders of the Remain in Spain group."

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

simple, they take out health care cover, or they pay their way should medical care be needed.

We are all responsible for our own health and wellbeing and likewise we should look ahead and ensure we have good cover.

If things change is the future it is up to every one of us to deal with these changes

The world does not owe us a living, no free meals

Nhs care abroad is not free if you move abroad permanently.

You are not entiteled to nhs medical treatment as it is a residence based treatment service

So when people retire or go to live abroad permenatly they must inform their gp so you are then removed from the nhs register

So private health insurance is the way it should not be free to people living abroad be they expats or other

We have an ageing population here in the UK.Old people are a burden we cannot afford.Its only going to get worse.By 2050 the over 65s double to 20 million.Its just unsustainable.The British pensioners comming back from spain will add to the burden.

"We have an ageing population here in the UK.Old people are a burden we cannot afford.Its only going to get worse.By 2050 the over 65s double to 20 million.Its just unsustainable.The British pensioners comming back from spain will add to the burden."

Don't take this the wrong way but I am sure there are many 65 year old pensioners who would walk all over you

in experience, knowledge and fitness

Cambridge

"Nhs care abroad is not free if you move abroad permanently.

You are not entiteled to nhs medical treatment as it is a residence based treatment service

So when people retire or go to live abroad permenatly they must inform their gp so you are then removed from the nhs register

So private health insurance is the way it should not be free to people living abroad be they expats or other"

I believe it is British pensioners living in European countries like Spain, being treated in Spain, and then the Spainsh healthcare providers billing the NHS.

So private health insurance is the way it should not be free to people living abroad be they expats or other"

it is free from the NHS abroad if you are a pensioner.

"We have an ageing population here in the UK.Old people are a burden we cannot afford.Its only going to get worse.By 2050 the over 65s double to 20 million.Its just unsustainable.The British pensioners comming back from spain will add to the burden."

I take it you'll be topping yourself at 65 then. Good lad

Cambridge

So private health insurance is the way it should not be free to people living abroad be they expats or other

it is free from the NHS abroad if you are a pensioner. "

But should this continue once we leave the EU?

"We have an ageing population here in the UK.Old people are a burden we cannot afford.Its only going to get worse.By 2050 the over 65s double to 20 million.Its just unsustainable.The British pensioners comming back from spain will add to the burden.

I take it you'll be topping yourself at 65 then. Good lad"

Natural selection will decide. By the time im 65 there will be no money left in the pot the baby boomers would have drained the money dry .I expect the retirement age to be 80 gor my generation. Old people keep getying fixed up in hospital anf living into their 90s the NHS and sociial services arent equipped or funded for this.

"We have an ageing population here in the UK.Old people are a burden we cannot afford.Its only going to get worse.By 2050 the over 65s double to 20 million.Its just unsustainable.The British pensioners comming back from spain will add to the burden.

Don't take this the wrong way but I am sure there are many 65 year old pensioners who would walk all over you

in experience, knowledge and fitness"

Water off a ducks back mate. The ageing timebomb is well recognised globally.

They paid their share. It's their entitlement. Although I'm not entitled. I have insurance to cover me back in the UK. Since I didn't contribute to the UK for 5 years.

But like I said before. I pay less here and get more on my service. Not missing it. Am delighted I don't have to rely on it.

"They paid their share. It's their entitlement. Although I'm not entitled. I have insurance to cover me back in the UK. Since I didn't contribute to the UK for 5 years.

But like I said before. I pay less here and get more on my service. Not missing it. Am delighted I don't have to rely on it. "

Unfortunately they will take out more than they put in.A quick google will tell you this.Something like 118%.

"They paid their share. It's their entitlement. Although I'm not entitled. I have insurance to cover me back in the UK. Since I didn't contribute to the UK for 5 years.

But like I said before. I pay less here and get more on my service. Not missing it. Am delighted I don't have to rely on it. Unfortunately they will take out more than they put in.A quick google will tell you this.Something like 118%."

Who?

But like I said before. I pay less here and get more on my service. Not missing it. Am delighted I don't have to rely on it. Unfortunately they will take out more than they put in.A quick google will tell you this.Something like 118%.

Who?"

Baby boomers.

But should this continue once we leave the EU? "

yes of course it should. As it does already with some countries who aren't in the EU

But like I said before. I pay less here and get more on my service. Not missing it. Am delighted I don't have to rely on it. Unfortunately they will take out more than they put in.A quick google will tell you this.Something like 118%.

Who?Baby boomers. "

Ah makes sense. But could it be economical? Not controlling spending.

Who?Baby boomers.

Ah makes sense. But could it be economical? Not controlling spending. "

Pensions and the NHS is were the money is going and most goverments ring fence pensions to protect the grey vote.The reality is the baby boomers are having a free lunch and robbing their children.The baby boomer generation will live longer than any generation before.

"The reality is the baby boomers are having a free lunch and robbing their children.The baby boomer generation will live longer than any generation before."

Or probably after!.

I don't hold it against them though, it was a just a fluke of timing, economics and demographics...

Besides it's not entirely impossible, Japan has been successfully been gaining GDP per capita while reducing and having an ever ageing population.

Still today they have little or very tight immigration because their terrified of losing their own culture!.

If anybody wants to have a future plan for a country I vote for modelling Japan. Low drug problems, very low crime rate, high employment, low unemployment, good social services, excellent health care, excellent public infrastructure, high mortality and shockingly very unproductive because they absolutely refuse to reform their agriculture practises for a higher volume lower class of product.....I don't hold many societies in the world in high regard but you really do have to take your hat off to the Japanese

Cambridge

yes of course it should. As it does already with some countries who aren't in the EU"

Why should it? In which non-EU countries does the NHS pay for the health care of pensioners?

Cambridge

But like I said before. I pay less here and get more on my service. Not missing it. Am delighted I don't have to rely on it. "

But then why isn’t it their entitlement in every country?

yes of course it should. As it does already with some countries who aren't in the EU

Why should it? In which non-EU countries does the NHS pay for the health care of pensioners?"

I don't think the NHS works abroad. Isn't it simply insurance that is paid back? Or only covered when you return.

Quick answer.... No it shouldn't!...I know I know but old people will be forced to do yack yack yack.

It's a state funded health care system for UK citizens who are resident in the UK.

Personally I wouldn't send pensions abroad or winter fuel payments either... Were not running a fucking charity

"Quick answer.... No it shouldn't!...I know I know but old people will be forced to do yack yack yack.

It's a state funded health care system for UK citizens who are resident in the UK.

Personally I wouldn't send pensions abroad or winter fuel payments either... Were not running a fucking charity "

But they should get covered when they visit the UK? It's not like they can contribute more. Unless you retax them again on their pension. Even though they paid their tax already. Oh wait we do that already.

Fucking tax system :p

"Quick answer.... No it shouldn't!...I know I know but old people will be forced to do yack yack yack.

Personally I wouldn't send pensions abroad or winter fuel payments either... Were not running a fucking charity

But they should get covered when they visit the UK? It's not like they can contribute more. Unless you retax them again on their pension. Even though they paid their tax already. Oh wait we do that already.

Fucking tax system :p"

Tax doesn't have to be taxing .

They just make it that way to win a war of attrition with you

Fucking tax system :p"

Oh and err no.

Resident only!

Fair enough. not complaining here.

Doesn't it make you feel so much better when you read of all the whinging other people are doing, makes you realise how lucky you are to be enjoying life with very few concerns

Life is great

keep on whinging guys

"The reality is the baby boomers are having a free lunch and robbing their children.The baby boomer generation will live longer than any generation before..

Or probably after!.

I don't hold it against them though, it was a just a fluke of timing, economics and demographics...

Besides it's not entirely impossible, Japan has been successfully been gaining GDP per capita while reducing and having an ever ageing population.

Still today they have little or very tight immigration because their terrified of losing their own culture!.

If anybody wants to have a future plan for a country I vote for modelling Japan. Low drug problems, very low crime rate, high employment, low unemployment, good social services, excellent health care, excellent public infrastructure, high mortality and shockingly very unproductive because they absolutely refuse to reform their agriculture practises for a higher volume lower class of product.....I don't hold many societies in the world in high regard but you really do have to take your hat off to the Japanese "

Japan's population is now projected to shrink from around 126m today to 87m in 50 years' time. At this rate, there will be no one left by 2500. The country’s population has been shrinking since the 1990s. Its birth rate dropped to a record low of just over 1m in 2014, while the number of deaths climbed to just under 1.3m

By *abioMan  over a year ago

Newcastle and Gateshead

Why should it? In which non-EU countries does the NHS pay for the health care of pensioners?

I don't think the NHS works abroad. Isn't it simply insurance that is paid back? Or only covered when you return. "

no... in effect what happens is that for "most" treatments.... because it it most cost effect for people to be treated in those EU countries than it would be to be treated in the UK, that EU country in effect bills the NHS for the treatment and the UK then pay it....

for non EU-residents now wanting to come to the UK, part of the application process states that you must have some sort of "private" insurance that will cover your stay in a medical emergency

the grim truth is that Old people don't tend to come to the UK to retire....

we get their young people... who in turn come here, pay more taxes and receive less benefits than the general population, so are in essence "net positives" to the economy...

so unless it is an issue that is sorted... the NHS bill may go up as it costs more on average to treat older people than it does younger....

By *he_tykiesCouple  over a year ago

West Yorkshire

[Removed by poster at 18/01/17 20:59:13]

"The reality is the baby boomers are having a free lunch and robbing their children.The baby boomer generation will live longer than any generation before..

Or probably after!.

If anybody wants to have a future plan for a country I vote for modelling Japan. Low drug problems, very low crime rate, high employment, low unemployment, good social services, excellent health care, excellent public infrastructure, high mortality and shockingly very unproductive because they absolutely refuse to reform their agriculture practises for a higher volume lower class of product.....I don't hold many societies in the world in high regard but you really do have to take your hat off to the Japanese Japan's population is now projected to shrink from around 126m today to 87m in 50 years' time. At this rate, there will be no one left by 2500. The country’s population has been shrinking since the 1990s. Its birth rate dropped to a record low of just over 1m in 2014, while the number of deaths climbed to just under 1.3m"

And yet from 1998 to 2014 they climbed their GDP per capita from 24,000 dollars to 39,000 dollars while their immigration rate was steady at about 0.5 per 1000 population

[Removed by poster at 18/01/17 21:10:16]

Or probably after!.

If anybody wants to have a future plan for a country I vote for modelling Japan. Low drug problems, very low crime rate, high employment, low unemployment, good social services, excellent health care, excellent public infrastructure, high mortality and shockingly very unproductive because they absolutely refuse to reform their agriculture practises for a higher volume lower class of product.....I don't hold many societies in the world in high regard but you really do have to take your hat off to the Japanese Japan's population is now projected to shrink from around 126m today to 87m in 50 years' time. At this rate, there will be no one left by 2500. The country’s population has been shrinking since the 1990s. Its birth rate dropped to a record low of just over 1m in 2014, while the number of deaths climbed to just under 1.3m.

And yet from 1998 to 2014 they climbed their GDP per capita from 24,000 dollars to 39,000 dollars while their immigration rate was steady at about 0.5 per 1000 population"

Getting growth from an ageing, shrinking society is hard to do.Japan's economy is shrinking.

By *oo hotCouple  over a year ago

North West

"After we leave the EU, should the NHS fund Brits still living in the EU? Many people talk about me leaving the EU will allow us to treat all countries equally. The NHS wouldn't cover your health care in the U.S. or Australia or Thailand, so why should they in Spain after we leave?

"Hundreds of thousands of elderly Britons living in Europe may be forced to return to the UK unless the government guarantees that their healthcare continues to be reimbursed by the NHS, campaigners for British people settled in Spain and France have warned.

The House of Commons Brexit select committee was told on Wednesday that an unintended consequence of Brexit could be an surge in immigration of British migrants both working and retired.

Groups campaigning for the rights of Britons settled in Europe told the committee that many pensioners in countries like Spain and France would not be able to afford private health insurance if the current NHS overseas was jettisoned post Brexit.

“They may have no alternative but to come back,” said Sue Wilson, one of the founders of the Remain in Spain group.""

Actually this is very much one of those "laws of inintended consequences" and a pretty dramatic one at that.

To be fair this should be one of this sorted along with EU nationals in the UK. We cannot simply sail off into the Atlantic abandoniong Brits in Europe and throwing EU xcitizens overboard as we leave.

By *bandjam91Couple  over a year ago

London

"After we leave the EU, should the NHS fund Brits still living in the EU? Many people talk about me leaving the EU will allow us to treat all countries equally. The NHS wouldn't cover your health care in the U.S. or Australia or Thailand, so why should they in Spain after we leave?

“They may have no alternative but to come back,” said Sue Wilson, one of the founders of the Remain in Spain group.""

Can you clarify why this might happen post brexit please?

Wouldn't this be the UK'S decision to continue funding or not, regardless of the negotiations?

Or probably after!.

If anybody wants to have a future plan for a country I vote for modelling Japan. Low drug problems, very low crime rate, high employment, low unemployment, good social services, excellent health care, excellent public infrastructure, high mortality and shockingly very unproductive because they absolutely refuse to reform their agriculture practises for a higher volume lower class of product.....I don't hold many societies in the world in high regard but you really do have to take your hat off to the Japanese Japan's population is now projected to shrink from around 126m today to 87m in 50 years' time. At this rate, there will be no one left by 2500. The country’s population has been shrinking since the 1990s. Its birth rate dropped to a record low of just over 1m in 2014, while the number of deaths climbed to just under 1.3m.

And yet from 1998 to 2014 they climbed their GDP per capita from 24,000 dollars to 39,000 dollars while their immigration rate was steady at about 0.5 per 1000 populationGetting growth from an ageing, shrinking society is hard to do.Japan's economy is shrinking."

But they're getting richer per person?.... Isn't that the objective

By *imiUKMan  over a year ago

Newbury

in experience, knowledge and fitness"

That's the most bitter post that I've read in a while.....

Or probably after!.

And yet from 1998 to 2014 they climbed their GDP per capita from 24,000 dollars to 39,000 dollars while their immigration rate was steady at about 0.5 per 1000 populationGetting growth from an ageing, shrinking society is hard to do.Japan's economy is shrinking."

They can always just try and attract migrants to settle and work there ... might not go down well though.

Though depending on how brexit goes, Japan is one of my "lets see if it can be a temporary home" if the ship really does sink

By *enard ArgenteMan  over a year ago

London and France

For correct facts; health care for retired Brits works like this in the EU and certain other non EU countries ;

If you have paid your full NI contributions to the UK, and qualified for state pension;

Then when you move, the UK issues a form to your host country to tell them that they will cover your costs ( to the level of the citizens of the country you are resident in.

The receiving country signs you up to their system, and treats you the same as one of their citizens

Each year, the host country sends your exact bill to UK, the UK pays it.

The same happens the other way with any EU citizen living in UK,

In the case of residents in Frsnce, the UK makes a considerable saving, as in France, the health system only pays for 70% of treatment,( you pay the other 30% yourself or get insurance )

The French system is cheaper than UK , as the French government restrict the prices of drugs from suppliers, and cap the maximum fee that doctors and surgeons charge.

So for each expat, the UK pays 70% of the costs, ( which is already about 70% of the cost in UK anyway.)

It's cheaper for the UK to pay for healthcare outside UK than to have the expats return home

» Add a new message to this topic