FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > Politics > Brexit and the building sector

Brexit and the building sector

Jump to: Newest in thread

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

There is a crisis in the building sector as the ones from the slavic countries is going home and one who wanted to employ them before the brexit had 10 cv's every time he put out an ad, but now he just got less than 3 and he said the british dont work as hard as them and wouldnt work for minimum wage, on top of that they want to build more housing. I cant see that happening for a long time, can you?

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

No there isnt a crisis in the construction industry

I work in construction management and can assure you there is no problem

As for workers from Slavic countrys being harder workers again I dispute this there are good and bad wherever you go

As for these slavic workers going home I cannot comment as I have no information on this

"No there isnt a crisis in the construction industry

As for workers from Slavic countrys being harder workers again I dispute this there are good and bad wherever you go

As for these slavic workers going home I cannot comment as I have no information on this "

. I cannot see any real problems re labour shortages in the Construction industry . To date none of the plc quoted builders have cited it as being an issue .

Again in my opinion it is also a myth that imported labour are harder workers . On one occasion a Polish carpenter charged me substantially more than a UK one would have .

To resolve any potential shortages we should be implementing some form of apprenticeship scheme .

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

As for these slavic workers going home I cannot comment as I have no information on this "

It is big news in london and that with a hard brexit it could hit the industry very hard, the mayor said it as well and they interviewed companys on the news and they are saying the same.

Haha yes!!.

Thats coz London is a shit hole that nobody else wants to work in unless they get paid big wonga.

They are also happy to employ Eastern European labour without the skills or the time served..... particularly in London area.

I work in the building trade outside london.No real problem.The wages are sky high now and obscene in London .I would think the recruitment issue would be problem in the hotel trade and services.Theres enough for everyone at the moment.

By *anesjhCouple  over a year ago

LONDON.

As for these slavic workers going home I cannot comment as I have no information on this . I cannot see any real problems re labour shortages in the Construction industry . To date none of the plc quoted builders have cited it as being an issue .

Again in my opinion it is also a myth that imported labour are harder workers . On one occasion a Polish carpenter charged me substantially more than a UK one would have .

To resolve any potential shortages we should be implementing some form of apprenticeship scheme .

"

...I have taken on Polish bricklayers and hods in the past and they just can't cut it...their work is slow and shoddy.

"They are also happy to employ Eastern European labour without the skills or the time served..... particularly in London area."
Sure there will always be chancers in the game, from here and abroad.Believe me they get found out on site real quick .Your only as good as your last job.

As someone who works in the commercial sector in construction for one of the top 10 national contractors I can assure you there is not an issue at present. My business unit only covers part of London and we have secured £120m since bexit. Up about £20m on what we would normally expect in the same period. The group as a whole is up £1/4bn on our half year accounts.

» Add a new message to this topic