FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > Politics > David Davis - Supreme Incompetence

David Davis - Supreme Incompetence

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *oo hot OP   Couple  over a year ago

North West

David Davis, Brexit Secretary, confirmed to Parliament’s Brexit Committee today that:

•The Government hasn’t done an economic assessment of leaving the EU with ‘no deal’. (Yet suggest that they would do that????)

•It was “probably right” that holidaying Britons will lose EHIC cards, which provide free or subsidized healthcare across the EU. “I have not looked at that one.” (Ooops - lets not forget about British citizens who are also resident in the EU - probably older and with pre-existing conditions. Insurance should cost them a few quid then!!)

•He did not know the implications of leaving with no deal on the transfer of personal data, a vital issue for the booming tech industry. (Presumably we want real jobs though? Not difficult ones? We want the jobs back that went away and we want more money?)

•UK producers of dairy and meat would face tariffs of up to 40 per cent under World Trade Organisation (WTO) rules. (Who gives a shit about farmers??? Presumably they all voted Remain so fuck em???)

• He “assumed” the ‘Open Skies’ agreement - which has substantially reduced airfares across the EU - will be lost, although he would push for a successor. (Big disaster but understandably a bit too complex for the Brexit buffoons, despite being warned about it by all the airlines)

•Financial services firms are set to lose ‘passporting rights’ to trade in the EU. “I would expect that to be the case, that’s an area of uncertainty.” (Ooops - that will be a few billion in lost taxes then))

So, Mr Davis - what is the plan? Be positive, wave flags and sing rule Britannia?

I have a better idea - why doesn't May sack the lot of you and employ a cross party coalition of very talented people who might just get us through this.

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *xplicitlyricsMan  over a year ago

south dublin

Theres really no getting through this. If the EU makes it easy its fuel for the alt right. If Brexit ends with such a bad deal that the UK does an about turn and decides to stay that will be the real victory for the EU and if they dont get that then their fallback is that in 5 - 10 years the UK ends up coming back and reapplying for membership.

The UK is going to get beat up on negotiations but the Brexiters will keep putting their fingers in their ears and singing Rule Brittania until it ends in disaster.

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

"Theres really no getting through this. If the EU makes it easy its fuel for the alt right. If Brexit ends with such a bad deal that the UK does an about turn and decides to stay that will be the real victory for the EU and if they dont get that then their fallback is that in 5 - 10 years the UK ends up coming back and reapplying for membership.

The UK is going to get beat up on negotiations but the Brexiters will keep putting their fingers in their ears and singing Rule Brittania until it ends in disaster."

So why are you so concerned?

south dublin

"Theres really no getting through this. If the EU makes it easy its fuel for the alt right. If Brexit ends with such a bad deal that the UK does an about turn and decides to stay that will be the real victory for the EU and if they dont get that then their fallback is that in 5 - 10 years the UK ends up coming back and reapplying for membership.

The UK is going to get beat up on negotiations but the Brexiters will keep putting their fingers in their ears and singing Rule Brittania until it ends in disaster.

So why are you so concerned?"

Because I know people in England and the people are the ones that will take the brunt of this debacle. Not the rich and not the politicians. Theyre already sorted for life.

Because I know people in England and the people are the ones that will take the brunt of this debacle. Not the rich and not the politicians. Theyre already sorted for life."

If the UK gets hit Ireland will suffer more but as I've said, no need to worry

Because I know people in England and the people are the ones that will take the brunt of this debacle. Not the rich and not the politicians. Theyre already sorted for life.

If the UK gets hit Ireland will suffer more but as I've said, no need to worry "

Well, for all the decades of 'thick Mick' jokes, guess who's going to be having the last laugh?

By *LCCCouple  over a year ago

Cambridge

I can't decide if Davis is incompetent, or lying....

By *ittleAcornMan  over a year ago

"I can't decide if Davis is incompetent, or lying...."

I'm going with both...

Cambridge

"I can't decide if Davis is incompetent, or lying....

I'm going with both..."

By *isandreTV/TS  over a year ago

Hartlepool

It's amazing these people could be advocates for Leave, when they had the barest understanding of the current situation, the many issues and the sheer complexity. Yet they felt perfectly ok with assuring us it would all be a piece of piss and we would be quids in.

"David Davis, Brexit Secretary, confirmed to Parliament’s Brexit Committee today that:

•The Government hasn’t done an economic assessment of leaving the EU with ‘no deal’. (Yet suggest that they would do that????)

•It was “probably right” that holidaying Britons will lose EHIC cards, which provide free or subsidized healthcare across the EU. “I have not looked at that one.” (Ooops - lets not forget about British citizens who are also resident in the EU - probably older and with pre-existing conditions. Insurance should cost them a few quid then!!)

•He did not know the implications of leaving with no deal on the transfer of personal data, a vital issue for the booming tech industry. (Presumably we want real jobs though? Not difficult ones? We want the jobs back that went away and we want more money?)

•UK producers of dairy and meat would face tariffs of up to 40 per cent under World Trade Organisation (WTO) rules. (Who gives a shit about farmers??? Presumably they all voted Remain so fuck em???)

• He “assumed” the ‘Open Skies’ agreement - which has substantially reduced airfares across the EU - will be lost, although he would push for a successor. (Big disaster but understandably a bit too complex for the Brexit buffoons, despite being warned about it by all the airlines)

•Financial services firms are set to lose ‘passporting rights’ to trade in the EU. “I would expect that to be the case, that’s an area of uncertainty.” (Ooops - that will be a few billion in lost taxes then))

So, Mr Davis - what is the plan? Be positive, wave flags and sing rule Britannia?

I have a better idea - why doesn't May sack the lot of you and employ a cross party coalition of very talented people who might just get us through this."

Most projects that I have worked on , you get the answers at the end , not rhe beginning of it. What migbt or might not happen has no impact on us as of now .

We can fine tune any issues at the end of the project .

The EU will not want to damage us , and vice versa us them.

I am happy to let the government to do all the necessary work

Cambridge

"David Davis, Brexit Secretary, confirmed to Parliament’s Brexit Committee today that:

I have a better idea - why doesn't May sack the lot of you and employ a cross party coalition of very talented people who might just get us through this. Most projects that I have worked on , you get the answers at the end , not rhe beginning of it. What migbt or might not happen has no impact on us as of now .

I am happy to let the government to do all the necessary work "

Are you not pissed off that they blatantly HAVEN'T been doing the work for the last 9 months? Seriously, what has the tax payer got in return for paying David Davis for 9 months ministerial pay? Or the lying shit Liam Fox for that matter?

If you fail to plan,you plan to fail.

south dublin

If the UK gets hit Ireland will suffer more but as I've said, no need to worry "

Is that another baseless "fact" from you? Why yes, it does seem to be!

If you crash your car it has no impact on mine. If the UK economy gets hit its the UK that will obviously suffer the most.

At least the Irish government is positioning itself well to get the most out of the situation. We're pressuring the EU to look after us and Northern Ireland and we're lobbying hard to get all those businesses that are getting ready to flee the disastrous Brexit economy.

By *ittleAcornMan  over a year ago

"T

Is that another baseless "fact" from you? Why yes, it does seem to be! "

They could at least dress it up with an "I think" or "it would seem"!

Cambridge

"T

"

Well I do so hate to agree with CandM4U, however on this point I believe that they are right. I believe that for every 1% fall in GDP for the UK, Ireland's GDP falls by 0.75%.

south dublin

"T

Well I do so hate to agree with CandM4U, however on this point I believe that they are right. I believe that for every 1% fall in GDP for the UK, Ireland's GDP falls by 0.75%. "

If that was the case Brexit would still hit the UK harder. And it doesnt take into account that Ireland should get a big boost with the flight if business from the UK economy. Many of the banks are looking at Ireland as their preferred destination, though some are looking at Paris and Frankfurt too.

Cambridge

"T

Well I do so hate to agree with CandM4U, however on this point I believe that they are right. I believe that for every 1% fall in GDP for the UK, Ireland's GDP falls by 0.75%.

If that was the case Brexit would still hit the UK harder. And it doesnt take into account that Ireland should get a big boost with the flight if business from the UK economy. Many of the banks are looking at Ireland as their preferred destination, though some are looking at Paris and Frankfurt too."

Yes it will hit the UK hardest, but the Irish economy is closely tied to the UKs

Seriously

By *entaur_UKMan  over a year ago

Cannock

"T

If that was the case Brexit would still hit the UK harder. And it doesnt take into account that Ireland should get a big boost with the flight if business from the UK economy. Many of the banks are looking at Ireland as their preferred destination, though some are looking at Paris and Frankfurt too."

I think you want to the UK to stay in the EU so much because you are scared of the UK taking business away from Ireland. Ireland is one of the low tax countries in the EU, but you are limited to how low you can go with your tax by EU rules. When the UK is free of the EU we can drop our tax as low as we like to attract business here, new business is going to come to the UK instead of Ireland.

By *entaur_UKMan  over a year ago

Cannock

"If you fail to plan,you plan to fail."

Brexit secretary David Davis is a former SAS reservist so he will be well aware of this. I think you and others are seriously underestimating him on here. I'm sure he has many tricks up his sleeve and I'll judge him on how the negotiations develop once article 50 is triggered.

To be fair it stands to reason he can't answer much yet before negotiations are advanced.

By *oi_LucyCouple  over a year ago

Barbados

"To be fair it stands to reason he can't answer much yet before negotiations are advanced."

True. But what has stopped him working out what the cost of 'no deal' is? May says that 'no deal is better than a bad deal'. But that assumes she has some idea of what 'no deal' means. We talked on here a lot about WTO tariffs, and services we'd need to replace. We've talked about customs provisions, EU research, argicultural subsidies etc... why haven't they worked out what 'no deal' would cost?

-Matt

By *ercuryMan  over a year ago

Grantham

If you crash your car it has no impact on mine. If the UK economy gets hit its the UK that will obviously suffer the most.

At least the Irish government is positioning itself well to get the most out of the situation. We're pressuring the EU to look after us and Northern Ireland and we're lobbying hard to get all those businesses that are getting ready to flee the disastrous Brexit economy."

All assuming you get Apple to pay back the 13 billion euros that you "forgot" to collect in tax.

They are actively fighting to not get paid the 13 billion. Wankers... just because it will expose a few has-beens for offering sweet deals for brown envelopes back in the nineties

Leprechaun economics... be gorra be jaysus the luck of the oirish

I have a better idea - why doesn't May sack the lot of you and employ a cross party coalition of very talented people who might just get us through this."

Why would we need to know the answers to these questions now ? I do not see too much evidence of any airline shares collapsing because of such concerns .

Why would finncial services firms be too concerned about passporting rights to trade in the EU. ? It would hardly be an expensive issue to rectify in the overall scheme of things.

I prefer to place my confidence in the government and let them get on with the job.

Life simply goes on as normal. We may have to make a few adjustments . Trade between us and the EU is hardly going to stop because of Brexit . We will simply be trading on slightly different terms .

south dublin

"They are actively fighting to not get paid the 13 billion. Wankers... just because it will expose a few has-beens for offering sweet deals for brown envelopes back in the nineties

Leprechaun economics... be gorra be jaysus the luck of the oirish"

Completely by accident I think the Irish government have played a blinder. Heres the only 2 results of this:

1. Eu finds against us and we get €13bn and the jobs and tax that we were getting anyway

2. We win and multinationals see we have their back and we still get the jobs and the bit of tax which was something we were happy with before all this started.

Its really a no lose situation for us.

south dublin

At least the Irish government is positioning itself well to get the most out of the situation. We're pressuring the EU to look after us and Northern Ireland and we're lobbying hard to get all those businesses that are getting ready to flee the disastrous Brexit economy.

All assuming you get Apple to pay back the 13 billion euros that you "forgot" to collect in tax.

"

It wasnt "forgotten" and my post and the reasoning contained in it has nothing to do with the Apple case which is why I didnt mention it.

"They are actively fighting to not get paid the 13 billion. Wankers... just because it will expose a few has-beens for offering sweet deals for brown envelopes back in the nineties

Completely by accident I think the Irish government have played a blinder. Heres the only 2 results of this:

1. Eu finds against us and we get €13bn and the jobs and tax that we were getting anyway

2. We win and multinationals see we have their back and we still get the jobs and the bit of tax which was something we were happy with before all this started.

Its really a no lose situation for us."

Interesting point

I'd love to see us become less depend on foreign investment overall

Its really a no lose situation for us."

Whats your population 4 million?

You really dont need that many jobs to make a go of anything,i like Ireland, its about time some good luck came their way

south dublin

"T

If that was the case Brexit would still hit the UK harder. And it doesnt take into account that Ireland should get a big boost with the flight if business from the UK economy. Many of the banks are looking at Ireland as their preferred destination, though some are looking at Paris and Frankfurt too.

I think you want to the UK to stay in the EU so much because you are scared of the UK taking business away from Ireland. Ireland is one of the low tax countries in the EU, but you are limited to how low you can go with your tax by EU rules. When the UK is free of the EU we can drop our tax as low as we like to attract business here, new business is going to come to the UK instead of Ireland. "

The familiar sound of the Brexiters ignorance. Where would we be without it!

Ireland has an exemption from the EU rules so we can set our tax as we like.

Youre not going to drop your tax enough to cancel out the tarriffs if you cant secure a deal with the EU, you'd have to have negative corporation tax to cancel that out.

Im not worried at all for Irelands future. We only stand to gain from the Brexit situation. Even a small percentage of the businesses looking to leave England ending up here will negate any losses, particularly the financial companies that have already said that Ireland is their preferred destination.

We lose the beef exports to England? Thats fine, someone needs to fill the gap of Englands exports in beef to the rest of the EU and we'll gladly take that on. Half our beef exports to England we actually import from England so we'll make up 50% immediately just by selling that in our own market.

Not to mention we're pressuring the EU to give us preferential treatment from the Brexit fallout and the EU has thus far been very accomodating in that regard.

We'll be just fine, but thanks for your misplaced concern.

By *abioMan  over a year ago

Newcastle and Gateshead

"If you fail to plan,you plan to fail.

Brexit secretary David Davis is a former SAS reservist so he will be well aware of this. I think you and others are seriously underestimating him on here. I'm sure he has many tricks up his sleeve and I'll judge him on how the negotiations develop once article 50 is triggered. "

but haven't you and all your ardent followers been saying all this time that you were doing all this prep work before article 50 was triggered so you would have an advantage because a lot of deals would be in place... when it now looks like there has been now work done on the biggest deal that could be done!!!!

if it is true about the open skies agreement then that is huge... because why would you then based your surplus fleets of aircraft in the uk... because anytime you did fly in/out of uk airspace there would be an addition charge, so for low cost flyers like ryanair and easyjet it make more sense to base fleets elsewhere......

you may not like ryanair... but fairplay to them on this one because they have been saying this all along....

By *avidnsa69Man  over a year ago

Essex

I have a better idea - why doesn't May sack the lot of you and employ a cross party coalition of very talented people who might just get us through this. Most projects that I have worked on , you get the answers at the end , not rhe beginning of it. What migbt or might not happen has no impact on us as of now .

I am happy to let the government to do all the necessary work "

ALL projects Ive ever worked on and all businesses Ive ever run have had risk management at the heart of decision making. We are 9 months into this project and it appears that we have no risk mitigation in place. Thta is sheer f$$$$ng stupidity

By *isandreTV/TS  over a year ago

Hartlepool

ALL projects Ive ever worked on and all businesses Ive ever run have had risk management at the heart of decision making. We are 9 months into this project and it appears that we have no risk mitigation in place. Thta is sheer f$$$$ng stupidity"

I'm amazed some people think Davis is secretly a genius. Only compared to the people who think that, and Liam Fox and IDS is he. Just look at his own words before and since brexit, just watch his performance against Hilary benn today.

Secretly a genius, he's quite openly a fucking idiot.

Grantham

It wasnt "forgotten" and my post and the reasoning contained in it has nothing to do with the Apple case which is why I didnt mention it."

It was a point being made that Ireland, Luxembourg and others are losing their "sweetheart" tax deals and may not be such an attractive proposition for foreign investment in the future.

By failing to collect that tax, the Irish government were complicit in tax evasion and have been bought to book by the EU. Yes, they get the money, if Apple pays, but loophole has now been exposed and shut.

Explicitly... You seem to have your finger on the pulse but are you overconfident?

Is our economy not closely coupled to the UK (on exports at least)

The likes of IBEC seem reasonably concerned and there's quite a bit of doom and gloom from the likes of Matt Cooper.

I agree there are great poaching opportunities... But equally not everyone can work in financial services and do we have enough qualified people?

ALL projects Ive ever worked on and all businesses Ive ever run have had risk management at the heart of decision making. We are 9 months into this project and it appears that we have no risk mitigation in place. Thta is sheer f$$$$ng stupidity"

You go into most projects exoecting them to succeed and remain positive . While you will draw up a contingency plan in the event of failure , this will generally not be publicised .

The government would be complete fools to publicise these plans. They could potentially weaken our negotiating position.

Barbados

ALL projects Ive ever worked on and all businesses Ive ever run have had risk management at the heart of decision making. We are 9 months into this project and it appears that we have no risk mitigation in place. Thta is sheer f$$$$ng stupidity You go into most projects exoecting them to succeed and remain positive . While you will draw up a contingency plan in the event of failure , this will generally not be publicised .

The government would be complete fools to publicise these plans. They could potentially weaken our negotiating position. "

Ffs. He was asked my the select committee if he'd done any calculations on no deal and said 'no'. He could have said 'yes I have'. That would not have given anything away. As you just said anyone would expect us to have a contingency plan. So that would not weaken our position at all. In fact the opposite. By admitting we have no contingency plan then the EU know they have us over a barrel.

-Matt

south dublin

"Explicitly... You seem to have your finger on the pulse but are you overconfident?

Is our economy not closely coupled to the UK (on exports at least)

The likes of IBEC seem reasonably concerned and there's quite a bit of doom and gloom from the likes of Matt Cooper.

I agree there are great poaching opportunities... But equally not everyone can work in financial services and do we have enough qualified people? "

The way this is playing out theres a manageable risk for Ireland imo. If we're prepared and put in the work and have a decent strategy in place then we should actually come out ahead. But if we're careless then we could suffer. So I think its the right thing that people are sounding the warnings because complacency is the thing that will kill us.

At the moment we're doing everything we should be. We're pushing our case to the EU that we need some allowances to safeguard our economy and the EU are supportive of that. As the UK is our closest partner in politics and trade the EU knows that theres a risk of us sticking with Britain if Brexit damages us. And the EU cant lose a second member. So the EU will do right by us because its in their own interests.

We're also playing the other side and being the supportive voice for the UK in negotiations. We won't wield enough power to materially change the deal but the UK need to stay onside with us as we're the friendliest voice they have. And Im sure theres more than a bit of "Yeah we'll do what we can for you and you'll make sure to remember that after Brexit".

And we've got the Northern Ireland situation. A hard border would be a potential disaster that could lead to violence (and push us out of the EU to regain the arrangement we have now) so no one wants that. A frictionless border could actually make some trade with the UK very simple for us.

The other thing about trade is that we export twice as much beef to the UK as we import from the UK. So if we lost all our beef trade with the UK we could simply make up half the deficit supplying Irish buyers instead of English and then we try and take a chunk of the market the British had with the rest of the EU.

And while we're unlikely to get any of the motor trade the financial sector is a very promising and lucrative target for us. Its not just the jobs that we get (Im sure some Londoners will come over with the company) but its the tax take, the buildings being rented, local office supplies bought here. The halo effect of those companies being based here is enormous.

So everyone involved is right to say the right things to push our agenda with Britain and the EU and to keep everyone from getting complacent. But ultimately I think we'd actually come out ahead here. In fact if we landed a decent amount of the London firms it would be the making of this country for the next decade.

ALL projects Ive ever worked on and all businesses Ive ever run have had risk management at the heart of decision making. We are 9 months into this project and it appears that we have no risk mitigation in place. Thta is sheer f$$$$ng stupidity You go into most projects exoecting them to succeed and remain positive . While you will draw up a contingency plan in the event of failure , this will generally not be publicised .

The government would be complete fools to publicise these plans. They could potentially weaken our negotiating position.

Ffs. He was asked my the select committee if he'd done any calculations on no deal and said 'no'. He could have said 'yes I have'. That would not have given anything away. As you just said anyone would expect us to have a contingency plan. So that would not weaken our position at all. In fact the opposite. By admitting we have no contingency plan then the EU know they have us over a barrel.

-Matt"

However the EU have a lot more to lose than we have . Not many companies would want to lose their their third largest customer .

Whether the EU like to admit it or not , they must be concerned at the loss of our contribution.

Regardless of the answer given yesterday , we can safely assume that there is a contingency plan in place.

The EU will hardly want to lose our businness.

North West

"...........

The EU will hardly want to lose our businness. "

And how about us losing their business?

-Matt However the EU have a lot more to lose than we have . Not many companies would want to lose their their third largest customer .

Whether the EU like to admit it or not , they must be concerned at the loss of our contribution.

Regardless of the answer given yesterday , we can safely assume that there is a contingency plan in place.

The EU will hardly want to lose our businness. "

ok let me flip the question how many people will like to lose their largest consumer? The eu is the UK largest consumer ..now think about that

"...........

And how about us losing their business?"

That is why we can probably assume that the end result of the negotiations will be that neither side will lose businness.

It is not in the interests of us to hurt the EU nor for them to hurt us.

We just need to insure that we get value for money.

Hopwfully the referendum result is a wake up call for the EU.

"...........

And how about us losing their business? That is why we can probably assume that the end result of the negotiations will be that neither side will lose businness.

Hopwfully the referendum result is a wake up call for the EU. "

so your point is the eu needs to change and the best way to get them to change is to leave the organisation have no say in the EU affairs ...let's say they do take the wake up call and change for the better how will that benefit us if we are already outside?

south dublin

The thing about the negotiations is that both sides want different things. The UK wants to protect their economy and allow Brits in the EU to remain there without having to get visas.

The EU on the otherhand wants to make sure no one else leaves. So its goals are one of:

Give the UK such a bad deal they have to reverse their decision.

Give the UK such a bad deal that they rejoin once the government changes.

Give the UK such a bad deal that no one else wants to leave.

Brexiters ignore this. The EUs goal, above all else, is for the EU and its work to continue. Losing the UKs market is a mild inconvenience. Losing other member states is a fatal blow to decades of work and a peaceful prosperous future (in the EUs eyes).

There is no deal that can possibly satisfy both sides because they want the exact opposite thing.

"The thing about the negotiations is that both sides want different things. The UK wants to protect their economy and allow Brits in the EU to remain there without having to get visas.

The EU on the otherhand wants to make sure no one else leaves. So its goals are one of:

Brexiters ignore this. The EUs goal, above all else, is for the EU and its work to continue. Losing the UKs market is a mild inconvenience. Losing other member states is a fatal blow to decades of work and a peaceful prosperous future (in the EUs eyes).

There is no deal that can possibly satisfy both sides because they want the exact opposite thing."

What you have summed up is that the EU wants whatever is good for the EU, ie the gravy train running it, and not what is good for the people of Europe. Losing the UK's market is a mild inconvenience? Not to the people whose jobs rely on it. Some 5 million at least. Here's a fact/thought- each of the other 27 EU countries has more workers dependant on trade with the UK than the UK has with that country. I think when it comes down to it, the countries will think of themselves and not the EU project

"...........

And how about us losing their business? That is why we can probably assume that the end result of the negotiations will be that neither side will lose businness.

Hopwfully the referendum result is a wake up call for the EU. so your point is the eu needs to change and the best way to get them to change is to leave the organisation have no say in the EU affairs ...let's say they do take the wake up call and change for the better how will that benefit us if we are already outside?"

But the EU will never change its 4 basic rules so no matter in or out as they have always said it's that or nothing.

I'm all for migrant workers just not the free for all it seems to have become

North West

"The thing about the negotiations is that both sides want different things. The UK wants to protect their economy and allow Brits in the EU to remain there without having to get visas.

There is no deal that can possibly satisfy both sides because they want the exact opposite thing.

What you have summed up is that the EU wants whatever is good for the EU, ie the gravy train running it, and not what is good for the people of Europe. Losing the UK's market is a mild inconvenience? Not to the people whose jobs rely on it. Some 5 million at least. Here's a fact/thought- each of the other 27 EU countries has more workers dependant on trade with the UK than the UK has with that country. I think when it comes down to it, the countries will think of themselves and not the EU project"

Why cant you just accept what you and everyone that voted to leave have said all along. You voted to leave the single market and the customs union - so you keep saying.

How then can you expect after voting to leave for the EU to then change their rules by telling them that it will be for their own good.

A bit like a young person leaving home and then telling Mum and Dad that although they are now in full time work (and doing better than ever!) they still intend to come home to eat all the food, drink all their beer and not contribute a thing because it will be in Mum and Dads best interest to do so.

Remember that most Europeans do not have the psychological hang ups about being European that 17 million Brits seem to have. You and your ilk have the problem, not everyone else. You want to leave, take it on the chin and get on with it.

"...........

Hopwfully the referendum result is a wake up call for the EU. so your point is the eu needs to change and the best way to get them to change is to leave the organisation have no say in the EU affairs ...let's say they do take the wake up call and change for the better how will that benefit us if we are already outside?

But the EU will never change its 4 basic rules so no matter in or out as they have always said it's that or nothing.

I'm all for migrant workers just not the free for all it seems to have become "

do you think leaving the EU will stop migrant workers? ..the simple fact is as much as we talk business needs workers whether low paid or not they need them if they don't come from the EU they will come from elsewhere all Brexit will do is swap the nationalities of these workers ..

What you have summed up is that the EU wants whatever is good for the EU, ie the gravy train running it, and not what is good for the people of Europe. Losing the UK's market is a mild inconvenience? Not to the people whose jobs rely on it. Some 5 million at least. Here's a fact/thought- each of the other 27 EU countries has more workers dependant on trade with the UK than the UK has with that country. I think when it comes down to it, the countries will think of themselves and not the EU project

Why cant you just accept what you and everyone that voted to leave have said all along. You voted to leave the single market and the customs union - so you keep saying.

How then can you expect after voting to leave for the EU to then change their rules by telling them that it will be for their own good.

A bit like a young person leaving home and then telling Mum and Dad that although they are now in full time work (and doing better than ever!) they still intend to come home to eat all the food, drink all their beer and not contribute a thing because it will be in Mum and Dads best interest to do so.

Remember that most Europeans do not have the psychological hang ups about being European that 17 million Brits seem to have. You and your ilk have the problem, not everyone else. You want to leave, take it on the chin and get on with it. "

Why are the EU trying to do free trade deals around the world?

another fair post "hot"

And Davis has helped the SNP in Scotland ten times over.

When the referendum takes place, it is things like this that will be main talking points

David Davis has been a great help to the SNP's fight for independence

and today after her announcement, so has Teresa May

south dublin

What you have summed up is that the EU wants whatever is good for the EU, ie the gravy train running it, and not what is good for the people of Europe. Losing the UK's market is a mild inconvenience? Not to the people whose jobs rely on it. Some 5 million at least. Here's a fact/thought- each of the other 27 EU countries has more workers dependant on trade with the UK than the UK has with that country. I think when it comes down to it, the countries will think of themselves and not the EU project"

What I summed up is that the EU wants whats best for Europe. And the majority of the people in Europe agree that the EU, while not perfect, is better than 28 individuals.

Heres another thought. If trade with the UK drops then other EU companies have to fill that gap. No more British Beef? Thats fine the French and Irish will take over those sales.

No more audis being sold to the UK, well thats ok the Volkswagon group can take over the market share lost by UK car manufacturers like Nissan.

Not to mention all the jobs the UK will lose when companies leave the UK to stay in the EU. Like all those aircraft maintenance jobs because the UK wont be part of Open Skies. Or the financial and insurance jobs that will leave because their American CEOs arent going to pay tens of millions in import duties just to stay in London.

I think we'll have to coin a new term for all the jobs leaving the UK as a result of this: Brexodus!

What I summed up is that the EU wants whats best for Europe. And the majority of the people in Europe agree that the EU, while not perfect, is better than 28 individuals.

Heres another thought. If trade with the UK drops then other EU companies have to fill that gap. No more British Beef? Thats fine the French and Irish will take over those sales.

No more audis being sold to the UK, well thats ok the Volkswagon group can take over the market share lost by UK car manufacturers like Nissan.

Not to mention all the jobs the UK will lose when companies leave the UK to stay in the EU. Like all those aircraft maintenance jobs because the UK wont be part of Open Skies. Or the financial and insurance jobs that will leave because their American CEOs arent going to pay tens of millions in import duties just to stay in London.

I think we'll have to coin a new term for all the jobs leaving the UK as a result of this: Brexodus!"

Maybe you can answer this then? It was obviously a bit difficult for _oo hot. Why are the EU trying to do free trade deals around the world?

I think we'll have to coin a new term for all the jobs leaving the UK as a result of this: Brexodus!"

Luckily there is no firm evidence that many companies intend to leave the uk. That is simply speculation . Economic confidence is close to an all time high as is the stock market .

None of the new office blocks being built are being cancellsd because of these concerns .

A few tweaks to duties hardly presents an insurmountable problem.

The German motor industry will want to work with us, not against us .

The EU will hardly want to lose the businness of their third largest net contributor .

south dublin

I think we'll have to coin a new term for all the jobs leaving the UK as a result of this: Brexodus! Luckily there is no firm evidence that many companies intend to leave the uk. That is simply speculation . Economic confidence is close to an all time high as is the stock market .

None of the new office blocks being built are being cancellsd because of these concerns .

A few tweaks to duties hardly presents an insurmountable problem.

The German motor industry will want to work with us, not against us .

The EU will hardly want to lose the businness of their third largest net contributor . "

Shouldnt you be trying to work out the complex question of should we leave children in the care of unrepentant paedophiles. Until you can handle straightforward questions like that economics is obviously beyond you.

Heres another "complex" question. If you leave dog food in front of a hungry dog, do you think it will get eaten?

south dublin

I think we'll have to coin a new term for all the jobs leaving the UK as a result of this: Brexodus!

Maybe you can answer this then? It was obviously a bit difficult for _oo hot. Why are the EU trying to do free trade deals around the world?"

We're not doing free trade deals exactly. We're doing negotiated and structured reductions in barriers to trade. And theres obviously a lot of crossover between the two but there are still major important differences.

Ill take CETA as an example since it was agreed last month. Although its a trade agreement it importantly still keeps some tarriffs and quotas in place. So its not a free trade agreement in the sense that the UK currently has free trade with the EU. There are still restrictions in place that are important to the EU and Canada.

The agreement also strengthens the the EUs reach and influence as its standards are now to be held by Canada. This was an agreement that strengthened the EUs economy and its political reach. And in a world where China and Russia are fighting to take over the US spot as global leader we need the EU to step up if the US follows through on Trumps pledge to stop policing the world.

Now a question for you. Do you think that 28 different countries would have signed 28 deals as good as this one with Canada? The EU has lots to offer in trade negotiations, more than any single country can. And the more we have to offer the more powerful a hand we have to play in these negotiations.

Maybe you can answer this then? It was obviously a bit difficult for _oo hot. Why are the EU trying to do free trade deals around the world?

We're not doing free trade deals exactly. We're doing negotiated and structured reductions in barriers to trade. And theres obviously a lot of crossover between the two but there are still major important differences.

Ill take CETA as an example since it was agreed last month. Although its a trade agreement it importantly still keeps some tarriffs and quotas in place. So its not a free trade agreement in the sense that the UK currently has free trade with the EU. There are still restrictions in place that are important to the EU and Canada.

The agreement also strengthens the the EUs reach and influence as its standards are now to be held by Canada. This was an agreement that strengthened the EUs economy and its political reach. And in a world where China and Russia are fighting to take over the US spot as global leader we need the EU to step up if the US follows through on Trumps pledge to stop policing the world.

Now a question for you. Do you think that 28 different countries would have signed 28 deals as good as this one with Canada? The EU has lots to offer in trade negotiations, more than any single country can. And the more we have to offer the more powerful a hand we have to play in these negotiations."

Er, yes I do. Because each deal would have been beneficial to that country, one size doesn't fit all. Take America, the EU has been trying to do a trade deal with them for 27 years! How's that going? It took Australia 6 months to get one, the only restriction being on the sale of sugar. Blocs do not work, they are a thing of the past.

And if they want to remove barriers to trade why would they erect one between one of their biggest customers? Or is politics more important than trade?

Cambridge

Now a question for you. Do you think that 28 different countries would have signed 28 deals as good as this one with Canada? The EU has lots to offer in trade negotiations, more than any single country can. And the more we have to offer the more powerful a hand we have to play in these negotiations.

Er, yes I do. Because each deal would have been beneficial to that country, one size doesn't fit all. Take America, the EU has been trying to do a trade deal with them for 27 years! How's that going? It took Australia 6 months to get one, the only restriction being on the sale of sugar. Blocs do not work, they are a thing of the past.

And if they want to remove barriers to trade why would they erect one between one of their biggest customers? Or is politics more important than trade?"

The EU dont, the UK does! Nutters who want us to pull out of the customs union and single market. The EU want to keep us in, but some deluded Brits decided to pull us out. Well done.

And if they want to remove barriers to trade why would they erect one between one of their biggest customers? Or is politics more important than trade?

The EU dont, the UK does! Nutters who want us to pull out of the customs union and single market. The EU want to keep us in, but some deluded Brits decided to pull us out. Well done."

Because the single market and the customs union hold Europe back you fool. Half the continent is skint! Or have I made that up?

"

And if they want to remove barriers to trade why would they erect one between one of their biggest customers? Or is politics more important than trade?"

I honestly wouldn't be surprised if politics was more important than trade in our case.

Cambridge

The EU dont, the UK does! Nutters who want us to pull out of the customs union and single market. The EU want to keep us in, but some deluded Brits decided to pull us out. Well done.

Because the single market and the customs union hold Europe back you fool. Half the continent is skint! Or have I made that up?"

Right, so you admit it's us pulling away from the EU rather than the other way round, it's us putting up barriers, not them.

By *avidnsa69Man  over a year ago

Essex

The government would be complete fools to publicise these plans. They could potentially weaken our negotiating position. "

There's a world of difference between that and admitting you have no plan b and havent worked one up. That is idiocy NOT genius. I wouldnt let these tools run a bath let alone a brexit

By *mmmMaybeCouple  over a year ago

West Wales

Remember that most Europeans do not have the psychological hang ups about being European that 17 million Brits seem to have. You and your ilk have the problem, not everyone else. You want to leave, take it on the chin and get on with it. "

I know quite a few people that still have a room at mum & dad's & still take their washing round once a week despite leaving home a few years ago..

I like the way everyone looks at what happens to us "If"(EHIC) no one says "Well what the hell do you think will happen to all the EC people in the UK if they nethinkeatment from the NHS, do you think we'll treat them for free? Think again mate".

S

There's a world of difference between that and admitting you have no plan b and havent worked one up. That is idiocy NOT genius. I wouldnt let these tools run a bath let alone a brexit"

Luckily we have a democracy in this coubtry and the majority of the electorate are happy with the government or they would not have been voted in.

You need fairly exceptional skills to become a cabinet minster.

[Removed by poster at 17/03/17 06:49:25]

There's a world of difference between that and admitting you have no plan b and havent worked one up. That is idiocy NOT genius. I wouldnt let these tools run a bath let alone a brexit Luckily we have a democracy in this coubtry and the majority of the electorate are happy with the government or they would not have been voted in.

You need fairly exceptional skills to become a cabinet minster. "

Really? What is democracy?

Barbados

There's a world of difference between that and admitting you have no plan b and havent worked one up. That is idiocy NOT genius. I wouldnt let these tools run a bath let alone a brexit Luckily we have a democracy in this coubtry and the majority of the electorate are happy with the government or they would not have been voted in.

You need fairly exceptional skills to become a cabinet minster. "

The majority of the electorate did not vote for this government.

-Matt

Grantham

-Matt"

Then you need to be addressing your concerns to the ones that couldn't be bothered to vote.

It annoys me that we still have people that "can't be bothered" when we have such critical decisions.

Barbados

-Matt

Then you need to be addressing your concerns to the ones that couldn't be bothered to vote.

It annoys me that we still have people that "can't be bothered" when we have such critical decisions. "

I completely agree! But regardless, of those that did vote, less people voted for the Conservatives in the 2015 election than voted for others. I was just correcting Pat's incorrect statement above.

-Matt

ok, the majority of people who could be arsed to vote voted for the Tories than any other single party

http://www.ukpolitical.info/2015.htm

North West

"..............

Because the single market and the customs union hold Europe back you fool..."

More astonishing assertions. It is becoming like Trump Towers in here

"..............

Because the single market and the customs union hold Europe back you fool...

More astonishing assertions. It is becoming like Trump Towers in here "

Really? What do you think it is, 1976?

but the UK is the one who made politics more important than trade who said to leave the single market the ? Most of you Brexiters say you voted Brexit cuz you want a sovereign nation is that not putting politics above trade??

south dublin

So you dont think Tesco can negotiate better terms than a single newsagent?

And Australias great deal with the US results in prices up to 88% higher than the exact same products in the US https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Australia_Tax

The EU gets much better prices. So we're in a much better position through our WTO negotiations that Australia managed through either WTO or their bilateral trade agreement with the US. Could be an omen for the UKs future.

By *oggoneMan  over a year ago

Derry

"..............

Really? What do you think it is, 1976?"

Holding back from what is the question. The origins of the EU as we know it today, is the European Economic Community and before that the European Coal and Steel Community. The initial aim was to 'make war not only unthinkable but materially impossible'

The increased xenophobic rhetoric in the Uk and US, the idealised golden age of a Great Britain is all very alarming.

"..............

Holding back from what is the question. The origins of the EU as we know it today, is the European Economic Community and before that the European Coal and Steel Community. The initial aim was to 'make war not only unthinkable but materially impossible'

The increased xenophobic rhetoric in the Uk and US, the idealised golden age of a Great Britain is all very alarming. "

It is not xenophobic rhetoric, it is people speaking the truth. And don't try to give me history lessons on the EU. What was the UK growth rate before they joined the single market and then after, do you know? The single market is a con and the benefits a myth

North West

"..............

The increased xenophobic rhetoric in the Uk and US, the idealised golden age of a Great Britain is all very alarming.

It is not xenophobic rhetoric, it is people speaking the truth. And don't try to give me history lessons on the EU. What was the UK growth rate before they joined the single market and then after, do you know? The single market is a con and the benefits a myth"

So for clarity... You think it is better to have trade restrictions in the form of tariffs, customs barriers and all of the administration involved in processing transactions across a hard border either side of which has different product quality laws? You think that is more beneficial than putting a product in a lorry, driving it across an open border and delivering it - no border, no paperwork, no customs charges and product quality assurance.

This is what I mean about Brexiters - it seems they want to inflict, pain, misery and problems onto themselves just so they can feel better about sticking it to the foreigners and the liberals.

"..............

It is not xenophobic rhetoric, it is people speaking the truth. And don't try to give me history lessons on the EU. What was the UK growth rate before they joined the single market and then after, do you know? The single market is a con and the benefits a myth

So for clarity... You think it is better to have trade restrictions in the form of tariffs, customs barriers and all of the administration involved in processing transactions across a hard border either side of which has different product quality laws? You think that is more beneficial than putting a product in a lorry, driving it across an open border and delivering it - no border, no paperwork, no customs charges and product quality assurance.

This is what I mean about Brexiters - it seems they want to inflict, pain, misery and problems onto themselves just so they can feel better about sticking it to the foreigners and the liberals."

I apologise if I’m offending anyone here, but in my view the trait most characterising the average Leave voter was, to put it bluntly, the hubris of blind national pride. To think that the UK actually stands stronger alone… To think that most of the long-term immigrants living in the U.K. haven’t contributed to British culture, if not just the coffers of H.M. Customs and Revenue…

"..............

This is what I mean about Brexiters - it seems they want to inflict, pain, misery and problems onto themselves just so they can feel better about sticking it to the foreigners and the liberals."

Er no, the opposite. I want a world market. You are just too small and narrow minded. Why restrict yourself to a few European countries? When trade is opened up to the world more easily it increases trade and innovation and quality and standards and laws will be raised around the world because of the need to compete. You are everything you accuse others of being but are too blinkered to see it

"..............

This is what I mean about Brexiters - it seems they want to inflict, pain, misery and problems onto themselves just so they can feel better about sticking it to the foreigners and the liberals.I apologise if I’m offending anyone here, but in my view the trait most characterising the average Leave voter was, to put it bluntly, the hubris of blind national pride. To think that the UK actually stands stronger alone… To think that most of the long-term immigrants living in the U.K. haven’t contributed to British culture, if not just the coffers of H.M. Customs and Revenue…"

Then you have a very strange view

Barbados

"..............

This is what I mean about Brexiters - it seems they want to inflict, pain, misery and problems onto themselves just so they can feel better about sticking it to the foreigners and the liberals.

Er no, the opposite. I want a world market. You are just too small and narrow minded. Why restrict yourself to a few European countries? When trade is opened up to the world more easily it increases trade and innovation and quality and standards and laws will be raised around the world because of the need to compete. You are everything you accuse others of being but are too blinkered to see it"

Why do you think being part of the EU restricts us to 'a few European countries'? You think that by moving away from our nearest neighbours geographically, culturally and economically with a view we might get some magical potential better deal with a trading partner further away in all senses just doesn't make any sense.

-Matt

"..............

Er no, the opposite. I want a world market. You are just too small and narrow minded. Why restrict yourself to a few European countries? When trade is opened up to the world more easily it increases trade and innovation and quality and standards and laws will be raised around the world because of the need to compete. You are everything you accuse others of being but are too blinkered to see it

Why do you think being part of the EU restricts us to 'a few European countries'? You think that by moving away from our nearest neighbours geographically, culturally and economically with a view we might get some magical potential better deal with a trading partner further away in all senses just doesn't make any sense.

-Matt"

Because you're not thinking it through. Imagine the EU countries were the counties of England and yes they can trade freely with eachother but together they put up barriers to other countries and one county can not do a deal with another country unless they all agree. So in the end they are all harmed. The world is now a lot smaller and the EU is stagnating and some people seem stuck with a little Europeaner attitude

Barbados

"..............

-Matt

Because you're not thinking it through. Imagine the EU countries were the counties of England and yes they can trade freely with eachother but together they put up barriers to other countries and one county can not do a deal with another country unless they all agree. So in the end they are all harmed. The world is now a lot smaller and the EU is stagnating and some people seem stuck with a little Europeaner attitude"

Do the EU put up barriers to other countries? Really? As far as I can see they don't have anything worse than we would have under WTO with other countries

-Matt

By *ara JTV/TS  over a year ago

Bristol East

Brexit secretary David Davis is a former SAS reservist so he will be well aware of this. I think you and others are seriously underestimating him on here. I'm sure he has many tricks up his sleeve and I'll judge him on how the negotiations develop once article 50 is triggered. "

PMSL

By *ony 2016Man  over a year ago

Huddersfield /derby cinemas

Brexit secretary David Davis is a former SAS reservist so he will be well aware of this. I think you and others are seriously underestimating him on here. I'm sure he has many tricks up his sleeve and I'll judge him on how the negotiations develop once article 50 is triggered.

PMSL

"

North West

Funny to look back on these old threads

"Funny to look back on these old threads"

Where have the two staunch defenders of leaving no matter what gone? And their absolute resolve that they believe the government can have their cakeism.

PMSL

"

I said he was shit and I overestimated him

By *ara JTV/TS  over a year ago

Bristol East

Total waste of space, he turned out to be

Full of BS

» Add a new message to this topic